Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Oh yeah...did the 240's weak spots (i.e., fragile plastic interior bits, weak A/C, etc.) carry over until the end of the line in 1993?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Aren't coming here until Aug-Sept.
    The 04.5 S40 will be here in 2 mos.

The 240's interior got better, but the a/c never did.
    I always hated the a/c in the 240s.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Member Posts: 15
    My folks had a 72 145E Wagon for 15 years - with dealer installed a/c as an option. Now that was some worthless a/c. Add to that a dark green exterior with nice black vinyl seats...we hated wearing shorts in the summer until my mom made a terrycloth backseat cover.

Still it was a great car once Volvo sorted out the problems with the first year fuel injection system. Bosch Firetronic I think my dad used to say he called it. They got it 6 months before I was born and I learned to drive stick on it before my dad got rid of it. No power steering but could pull a U-turn just about anywhere. Also, I could hear them coming home at night from a mile away when I got older.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Our 2001 XC has sometimes/frequently had a loud clunk when after stopped for a red light we took off when it turned green. I had attributed it to (I think I read this somewhere) that the Volvo tranny shifts into neutral during long stops to save gas and the resulting clunk was the engagement into drive as we headed off. Now that we are nearing the end of the 50K warranty period, I'm not so sure. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Another sound we are hearing is a new one. At about 1500 RPM if we are cruising under no load the engine/drive train willsometimes, not always, shudder as though about to stall (which it doesn't). The sound is like all of a sudden driving over a rumble strip on the shoulder of the interstate. Any ideas?
  • newbaby3newbaby3 Member Posts: 12
    At close to 3000 miles on my 04 XC I would normally get my first oil change. I realize that this will be "on me" as the free maintenance is only every 7500 miles I believe. My question is the type of oil that these cars come delivered with. If it's synthetic, which I have never had before, isn't the major attribute over "natural" being decreased break down? If so than the 7500 mile interval is probably sufficient? Thanks in advance.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    My wife's 04 V70 is in the same boat. She is near 3000 miles and I may just change it and then get it changed again at 7500 then every 7500 after that. I believe it does not come with synthetic from the factory, according to the V70 manual. I'm not sure if the XC is different but my guess is that they use the same oil.
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Hello to all-

I am currently in the market for a vehicle and the XC-70 is at the top of my list. I test drove one last weekend and was very impressed. I am currently driving a GMC Envoy so the ride and comfort difference is enormous. The XC was so plush, smooth over bumps without the swaying side to side that I am used to. And the seats - wow! I do have a few questions though if this forum can possibly help me out?

I am thinking of getting a XC-70 with the premium and touring packages.

1 - Is the $1200 radio upgrade worth it? It sounds like it would be, but dealer did not have upgraded radio for me to listen to.

2 - There is a $600-ish option for a "better" traction control system. Is that worth it? It sounds like the AWD system that the car comes standard with would be fine.

3 - I forgot to look and the brochure is not helpful but is there a hitch provided with the vehicle? And if so, does anyone know what size it is?

4 - According to what I read on the Volvo website, the heated seats automatically turn off once they have "warmed up". Does anyone know how long they stay on? And how warm do they get? I did notice that there is not high/low setting for them.
    Is there any way of keeping them on? I sometimes like to have the heated seats on for quite a while, it feels great on my back.

4 - Does the laminated glass that comes with the touring package make a big difference in wind/road noise? That is one thing that REALLY bothers me with my Envoy is on the freeways the wind buffeting noise drives me to distraction - it is sooo loud!

5 - Does Volvo provide a 24-hour test drive or something akin to that? It was very difficult to fully evaluate the vehicle on a 10-minute drive with the salesman in the front seat telling me where to turn. If not 24-hour, then has anyone had luck getting Volvo to let them take the car out on their own for an hour or so?

Sorry for the long posting! Thanks for any and all help!
    1 the radio is worth it if your an audiophile. However, it is not typically found on the XC70 so locating a car w/ the system may be difficult.
    2 DSTC, depends on where you live, most palces its overkill unless your an aggressive driver.
    3 Hitch is a dealer item, the XC70 will tow 3300 lbs w/ the hitch. No other mods are necessary.
    4 My S60R has the laminate, I love the difference it provides, also the fact that your stuff is more secure in the car.
    5 Volvo Cars doesn't offer a 24 hr test drive. You might be able to talk your dealer into it but some dealer insurance policies forbid having the cars out overnight. Most Volvo dealers use Volvo's as loaner cars for service, you might be able to drive one of those cars.
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    Hillfla, I just recently took ownership of a ’04 XC70 so let me try to answer your questions.

1. I’m pretty satisfied with the regular radio. The bass is tight and undistorted and the treble sounds very clear. There is also a “hidden equalizer” that you can modify to tune the radio to your preference. Search for how to get to the hidden equalizer on the web. Bottom line: Save your $1200; the HU-613 is good for any stock system and certainly beats out the stock stereo in a 3-series BMW.

2. Diehard XC70 owners would say if you’re buying the XC70 because of its safety features, why would you skimp and not option for the DSTC? The problem with DSTC is that many cars on the dealer lots do not have that option. If you want a XC70 with DSTC, you’ll most likely have to special order it. If it was me, I would divert the upgraded stereo money towards DSTC.

3. Look at Volvomax’s response.

4. During my 2.5 hrs Sunday drive, I had the heated seats on from the time I put the key into the ignition to arriving at my destination. At no point did the heated seats turn off by itself. I also found that they temp setting on the seat warmers are not as hot as I like; however, I heard you can easily raise the temp setting by asking your dealer to modify the VADIS settings for the heated seats. Can’t answer your question regarding laminated glass since I do not have it.

5. Volvomax would know better than me.

All in all, I’m very happy with my XC70. The first week I got my car, it snowed over a foot in my area and the XC70 went places where other cars could not tread. I would stop in the middle of a hill just to test out the AWD and it worked beautifully! If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely invest in DSTC.

Warm regards,
    Nobee
    2004 XC 70, Metallic gold, Premium pkg, reverse radar, 12-volt in rear, auto-dim rear-view mirror, wood steering wheel, IAQS, cross-bars with ski rack
  • blizzardblizzard Member Posts: 1
    The other day the ignition key in my V-70 would not come out. I have tried all the conventional remedies. I have driven it for several days in this condition. everything works fine except that the key won't come out and the remote controls seem disabled as a result. Any thoughts on a solution? THX :)
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Thanks to Volvomax and Nobee for answering my questions. You have really helped me out and brought me closer to a decision. This week I am going to try and make it down to the other Volvo dealership in town (we have two and I have only been to one so far), and see what they have on their lot.

Interesting about the heated seats. I'm glad to hear that they do not turn off on their own. I too had read about the fact that they are not very hot and that you can get that adjusted with the VADIS settings.

Thanks Nobee for the tip on the "hidden equalizer". Good info to know! I did notice that the radio had no way of changing that like my Envoy does.
    Sounds like the ignition cylinder isn't allowing the key to turn all the way to the off position.
    Since the key is in the ignition the remote is disabled.
    You should take your car to your Volvo retailer right away and let them look at it.
  • mkrsw1mkrsw1 Member Posts: 12
    i bet your shift lock override button is stuck.

mike
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    What's VADIS, and what does it do?
  • stu15stu15 Member Posts: 9
    yeah....tell me more.....I wish my seats could be hotter too.....I'd love to be able to have them adjusted.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    It's been a little while since I was at our Volvo store, but VADIS is the diagnostic system Volvo tech's plug in to. It is kind of the brain for Volvo service. Volvomax may be able to shed more light.
    yeah....tell me more.....I wish my seats could be hotter too.....I'd love to be able to have them adjusted.
    I hope you are enjoying your Volvo! Vadis (Volvo After sale Diagnostic Information System) is the name of the computer system used by Volvo dealers which hooks up to your cars OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) connector to diagnose problems and to change settings on the car. One of the settings is the heated seats! Once Vadis is connected to your cars computer, it can go on line with one of the mother computers. One is located in the Carolinas and the other in Sweden. The mother computer can then communicate with your cars computer to diagnose problems showing up on your car such as when a check engine light appears, or if you need new or extra keys and remotes programmed to your car, the software upgrades can downloaded from the mother computer. The technology is amazing. There are other settings that can be also be altered such as the time delay on the approach lighting feature or turning off the daytime running lights or adding any of the many accessories Volvo offers
    Great stuff, stu! Do you know if it can also be used to change settings for the security alarm system -- ie. light-flash vs. audible "beep" arm/disarm confirmation; passive arming; delay-time for relock feature, etc?
  • tkoimmtkoimm Member Posts: 12
    As I weigh the merits of these two models, is it correct that the V70 handles better and is faster than the XC70?
    And now back to the issue of the electromagnetic field (EMF) in Volvos. This appears to have been a topic of discussion on this message board a couple of years ago. As I understand it from reading about this subject on the internet, Volvos emit a higher EMF due to the placement of its battery in the back. Since this became news a couple of years ago, Volvo appears to have responded to the concerns of its European customers by offering a retrofit kit to diminish the EMF. From what I have been able to ascertain, however, Volvo does not offer the retrofit kit to American customers. My guess is that this is because EMF is less of a concern to the American buying public than to the European buying public. Is this a concern to any of you out there? Are any American Volvo owners demanding retrofit kits?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I had my V70 at the dealer for some warranty work (sunroof rattle) and got an XC70 as a loaner.

Seat of the pants, I didn't notice a difference in acceleration between the two...off the line or at freeway speeds.

My guess is the low pressure turbo merely compensates for the added weight of the AWD hardware. One thing I did notice...my V70 is more nimble than the XC70.

I owned an AWD Buick Rendezvous for 2 1/2 years and, laugh as you may, it has a superior AWD system...which I was able to force into action a grand total of 3 times (and I mean force, as in goose the throttle from a standing start on a slick road).

I don't think I'll ever buy another AWD vehicle...it's just not worth the added cost, added weigh, added maintenance, harsher ride, and less nimble handling.
    To me, the main advantage of an AWD vehicle is the convenience to be able to go without changing to snow tires all year round. But other than that, the lawman is right. You can do just about anything an AWD vehicle can do with a FWD with snow tires.
    is spam. No one has been able to link the Volvo's EMF field to any health issue. You get more exposure to electro-magnetic radiation just walking around outside.
    Volvomax: I agree that EMF's effects on health is theoretical and there may be nothing to it. My question, however, is why does Volvo offer all these retrofit kits to UK Volvo owners (who are driving essentially the same cars) but does not offer them to US Volvo owners?
    I think my mom is going to purchase a new V70 2.4 within the next couple of months. She only wants the basic model and we think that it is a great-looking safe car to drive anywhere at any time. And we've had great luck with the 2.4 engines in our 850 and S70.

A little off-topic, Volvomax, but what did you make of the 850 series when it first came to America back in 1993? Did you think it was a good car then? I have one of the original '93 GLTs and it's still running strong at 103k miles.
    My guess is that the British are a little weird.
    Royal Family, afternoon tea, etc. Volvo UK evidently got more flak than Volvo North America did. Which is surprising considering the nabobs who call themselves consumer activists here. Guess Nader's too busy running for President.

850's
    Probably no exageration that its the car that saved Volvo. Plus it pissed off entire legions of Volvo faithful with its fwd platform. The early ones's had the typical new model teething problems but overall very robust,safe, economical cars.
    Why'd the 850 anger a lot of the Volvo faithful?
    Volvomax...what do you think of the current Subaru Legacy wagons? I hear they're a great Japanese alternative to Volvos, and very reliable cars to boot (but I've never driven one). Right here in Vermont, my home state, there are plenty of Subarus of all kinds.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    "Why'd the 850 anger a lot of the Volvo faithful?" It was the first front wheel drive Volvo IIRC.
    True. But I would've never guessed the Volvo crowd to get all uptight over something like that. BMW fanatics, yes, what with their RWD worshipping. But I wouldn't have thought Volvo fans would care whether the car was FWD or RWD as long as it's got all the traditional Volvo safety attributes. My aunt had a 740 way back when, and I swear to this day she couldn't tell me whether it was FWD or RWD.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I drive my 740 in the snow. I assure you, I know it's being pushed, not pulled! :-)
    Well, my aunt never drove in the snow, or rain, for that matter!
    Fedlawman and others, a lot of people who live in the Northeast buy the XC because they do in fact handle better, albeit at 7AM going to work or coming home late after a long day. Really an XC is a private sector productivity machine: you can get more done in a winter's day/night if you don't have to worry about getting up an unplowed hill etc. This would not be a consideration if you worked in a large bureaucracy where "snow days" and leaving at 5PM were the norm.
    Are really very traditional. Plus they love the tight turning radius of the rwd Volvos.
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    Awhile back there was a discussion about replacement tires for a T5 wagon, V70 type.

Anyone know where continentals are made? Check the side wall if you own them. The last two sets I owned were made in Germany. They were the Conti-Contact H rated tires. Excellent tires with even wear. Great in the rain, marginal in the snow.

My opinion of the Michelins: slick in the rain for acceleration and braking, and poor in the snow.

The opinion given about how much harder you can push the Michelins over the Conti's, especially at speed, is bull (in my opinion;). Made in Germany, goes really fast in Germany. Continental is the OEM tire for high-end German cars, even in Germany.

Hope this helps those looking for replacement tires.
    Yes Conti's are made in Germany, but having driven the same car w/ Michelins and Conti's back to back I have found the Michelins to offer better grip. The Conti's do last longer though.
    For someone looking for a good replacement tire, and not caring about ultimate grip the Conti's make a good choice.

Also, as there are different levels of Michelins, the same holds for Continental. What the put on Porsche's isn't necessarily what the put on Volvo's.
  • dsvogeldsvogel Member Posts: 15
    You both have good points, it just goes to show that buying tires needs to be an informed decision and that a dealer/merchant whose response is "Just go with stock." may not be giving the best info out.
    Being that my wife does not autocross our T5 with the kids in the back I am very happy with the Conti Extreme Contacts I put on a few months ago. The only thing that I am still feeling out is weather the more "weather capable" type tread they have might have cost me .5 to 1 mpg.
    Dsvogel, you are really concerned about a potential, at best, loss of .5 to 1 mpg from running a more all weather capable tire on a T5 with three kids in the back? This ranks up there with your running your OEM tires out to 37K with three patches before replacement. Your cost/benefit analyses don't impress me and are dangerously penny wise and pound foolish.

Given your VA address and ready access to military auto service shops I sincerely hope you aren't crunching any numbers for the Defense Department ("what the heck, we'll just harden up the driver's side on our Hummers; the Iraqis shoot only at the driver anyway")
    Do you know of any changes that'll happen to the V70 lineup for the '05 model year? Will the range stay as is?

By the way, I saw pics of the Saab 9-7X here on Edmunds...it looks just like the Chevy Trailblazer it really is!
    We should have 2005 model info sometime next month.
    Right now all there are just rumors floating around.
    Look for monochrome treatments on the bumpers and moldings(finally), as well as changes to the dash and interior.
    No info on engine changes although there is a rumor going around that Volvo will not import the V70R for 2005.
  • orator99orator99 Member Posts: 2
    Volvo max:
    Any idea when the 2005 V70s might start to be available for Overseas delivery?

After months of pondering and financial wizardry, I finally got up the nerve to put my $2k deposit down on a V70 - only to find out that they stopped taking factory orders for 2004 V70 build-to-order configurations *this past Monday*! The kind lady I spoke to at the Overseas Delivery Center explained that the packages and pricing for 2005 aren't available yet.

I was hoping to pick my car up in early August - think it might still be a possibility?

Does Volvo North America intentionally delay the release of the 2005 models until later in 2004? If the Europeans will get the 2005 model in late July (from all the unofficial rumors I hear), I don't see why I can't get a USA spec version "fresh from the factory", if I'm actually going to actually travel there.
    August should be possible.
    US dealers should recieve OSD order info for 2005 models by early May. This would give you enough time to get a wagon in August.

VCNA is scheduling release of some of its 2005 cars for late August Sept.
    The 2005 V50 is scheduled for July, as is thw 2005 S40.
    The remaining models release time will depend on dealer inventories of 2004's.
    Historically, Volvo's release times are late Sept, October for the next model yr.
    This past yr Volvo launched their 2004's in June.
  • ralfralf Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying a V70 and would like to hear what others might have to say about manual transmissions in these cars. (Performance, resale value, etc.)
    Resale could be more difficult.
    Hardly anyone wants a manual Volvo of any kind let alone a wagon.
    A manual would make the T5 more fun to drive, but otherwise gains would be minimal.
  • vperpetuavperpetua Member Posts: 1
    I have a manual in a '96 850 wagon. It's always performed fine, and I haven't had any transmission problems, and haven't replaced or repaired the clutch in 170,000 miles. Oddly, the clutch began occasionally to make a slight groaning sound when engaging in 1st after only about 50,000 miles, at which time the dealer recommended replacement, suggesting a problem in the throw out bearing (I think). I decided to wait until more obvious sounds of failure. I'm still waiting.
    Thanks Volvomax and Vperpetua, for your impressions. Anyone else?

Would I encounter in manual the same sort of worrying/bothersome "hesitation" or "delay" that so many complain of in their automatics?
    Does anyone here have experience with Volvo Expat/Diplomat sales? I'm returning to the US after a long period working abroad.

I'm specifically interested in what sorts of specifications I might have available (an '05 model already? a 2.4T with a manual tranny?) through the program. And, of course, a ballpark idea about savings over American MSRP.
    If the car is coming to the US, it must be a US market car.
    So no 2.5T manuals.
    2005's will be available in July-august for some models.
    Savings 8-10% below US MSRP.

The "hesitation" is in the electronic throttle.
    You can mitigate its effects by staying in a lower gear. Either with the manual or Geartronic functions.