Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• sdesde Member Posts: 42
    Ateixeira,

Thanks very much for the information!

SDE
  • sapphirebluesapphireblue Member Posts: 29
    Hi all,

Am another one of the "CRV or Outback" shoppers. Will actually be internet price quoting for both, and will decide after getting quotes back.

Question...the 2.5i doesn't have my preferred color (the red), and I don't have the budget to upgrade to the XT. So I'm trying to decide between the Atlantic Blue/Granite Gray Opal vs. Willow Green Opal/Moss Green Metallic exterior colors.

To my fellow 2005 Subie OB shoppers and owners...have you found the OB to cost about the same across color types, or is the blue traditionally more popular and thereby more expensive?

Thanks,
    sb
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    First of all, you should be paying at/below invoice for the Subarus, so make sure your prices are in that ballpark. Check the "Fitzmall" website for examples on good Subaru prices.

I don't think there are any price premiums related to color. The cars are in pretty good supply these days. You will get the best deal by being flexible on color and trying to find a car on the lot with the equipment you are looking for.

Personally, I like the blue better.

Good luck with your shopping! These are two very different vehicles (especially the way they drive and handle), so I think your decision should be based on more than price!

Craig
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    My 2001 OB wagon is getting close to needing tires. The tread is actually pretty good yet but one tire is experiencing a bit of cupping and is noisy and they do have 60k miles on them.

The three tires I have in mind are:

BFGoodrich Traction T/A
    Bridgstone G009
    Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Tire Rack rate all fairly high. One customer complained about the Traction T/A cupping rather quickly on his Subie.
    The Goodyear is the most expensive but highest treadlife(80k). Bridgestone is the cheapest but lowest treadlife(50k). All rated high in snow traction which is good for Wisconsin/Minnesota.

Whats the best choice?
    Does a T vs H speed rating mean much?

--Jay
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Speed ratings also hint at the amount of heat resistance built-in to a tire. Generally speaking an H-rated tire will have better heat resistance than a T-rated one.

So I would not down grade.

-juice
  • ozzy1ozzy1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact tires. They have an aggressive tread pattern for snow/rain. All I can say they're awesome! Much better feel than the bridgestone Potenza tires the car came with.
  • subarujonsubarujon Member Posts: 13
    I am aggrevated tonight. I just replaced my 03 LL Bean Wagon windshield two months due to a crack caused by a rock chip?; on the way home from work tonight a cement truck going 80mph and spraying rocks all over the highway got my windshield...another crater. I will try the resin repair if possible this time. In general, my Beaner windshield seems to attract rocks...I am always hearing things peening off of it. I try to avoid trucks on the highway...either backing off or speeding around the darn things.
    My auto dim rear viewl mirror was replaced a month ago...never worked right...and the replacement does not work very well either.
    My 30K service is due; my dealer wants $475 to do it. I have never replaced brake fluid at 30k before (US autos).
    I sure like my Beaner in winter, but I am getting down with all this stuff right now...I am thinking of trading it off this weekend.
    Please tell me something to change my mind!
    Thanks,

jon
    $475 is way too high. I did my own 30K service for about $40-50 worth of parts and a few hours of time.

I know the feeling about trucks and rocks -- I have lost 3-4 windshields this way. In fact, I got a nice divot in my 02 Bean's windshield when it was two weeks old!! The best you can do is avoid trucks, stay back a huge distance, or pass them quickly. Oh, and get the company name and license plate -- I had two windshields replaced by trucking companies.

What's the problem with the mirror?? Maybe it was not hooked up right?? Mine have always worked well.

I traded my 02 Bean for an 05 XT in July. I love the new XT, especially the engine and the handling (big improvement over the previous generation). The interior is great too. All that said, I miss my old Bean a lot! It was comfortable and easy to live with, and the previous generation H6 was a gem. I cringe every time I get a dent or scratch on the new XT, but the Bean was broken in and I didn't baby it so much.

If you are cringing about rock chips on your 03 Bean, think of how bad it would hurt on a new car!

My advice would be to stick with the Bean. At least wait a few days until your emotions cool off!

CRaig
  • david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    I just decided to trade my '02 OB for an '05 XT. I have 16" steel wheels with snows for the '02. My question - Is the bolt pattern the same on the 2 cars so that the snows will fit on the '05?

Thanks,
    David
    Yes, your 16" wheels should fit perfectly. In fact, if you have 225/60-16 snow tires, the outer diameter should be a perfect match for the 225/55-17 tires on the XT. Even the offset of the wheels is the same from 02 to 05, so your 02 wheels should be fine.

Craig
    Hey Craig,

That's good to know! Now I feel a bit better about the purchase, as I don't have to go out and buy another set of snows (and wheels). I'll probably get 2 weeks on the stock wheels before it's time to change over up here in the tundra.

While I've got your attention, what's the concensus on if and when to switch to synthetic oil in the XT.

Thanks,
    David
    Well, most people seem to think 10-15K at least, but I don't have a real solid opinion. I still haven't reached the first 7500 mile oil change on my XT, but I think I will stick with regular oil unless I hear advice to the contrary. Maybe even stick with regular oil permanently -- it hasn't ever done me wrong. I did run Mobil1 synthetic in my WRX, however (pushed that engine a lot harder).

Craig
    For the Outback owners out there ... question ... has anyone tried to transport a small couch (3 seat cushions wide) in their Outback? If so, did it fit ok (with backseats down) or did it require some finagling?

We will be shopping for one soon (our well-worn one is falling apart, bolt by bolt), and it would be much easier if we could transport it ourselves vs. paying for delivery.

Sales rep at Subaru says the Outback can carry up to a 4'h box. But it does have a more curved end than the Forester or some of its more European wagon siblings...which might require tying-down the hatch vs. the door shutting completely?

So I wanted to ask those out there with experience. Is the Outback couch-compatible, or no?

Thanks,
    sb
    I'd only worry about brake caliper clearance with the 16"s. But those rotors are smaller than the GT's so my guess is they will fit.

sb: roof rack is always there. I dunno if it would fit inside, maybe sticking out the back with the hatch open.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Nope. its not couch-compatible. It will be too short (mid 60" range) and is only about 32" tall. A 4ft box won't fit anywhere inside an Outback. I had to tie a 4'x4' piece of plywood to the rack bcause it didn't fit. The back opening is about 47 and 7/8 wide.

--jay
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    If it makes you feel any better though, I've had some crazy looking loads on top of my OBW before, as well as loads that well exceed the 100 lb capacity. I've never had a problem carrying them as long as they are secured with a couple of racheting tie-downs. My latest load was an 8' high stack of 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam.

If you have the store wrap the couch up well with some stretch-wrap and have two-to-four people to load it up and down, it should sit up there quite nicely without the risk of doing any damage to your shiny new car. It might garner you some glances, but it sure is more economical! ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For $20 go to U-Haul and rent a pickup.
    I've had 5 sheets of plywood/OSB on my roof rack, no problem.

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    18 1x6 12 foot pressure treated deck boards on the roof of the Outback. Rob M.
    Two sections of 6'x8' fence.

On a seperate occasion I put a double-dresser drawer up there, all pine wood, 21" deep too (i.e. bigger than standard). In the box.

-juice
    LOL No, but at least sapphireblue should feel better about the versatility of the Outback's cargo options....

I have a pickup, and if I needed to use it, I would. But, when I make double the mileage in my Outback, what's the point of using the pickup for a small load just to be conventional? It gets enough wear & tear.

If 'blue' were hauling a full-size refrigerator, I'd say rent the U-Haul or pay the delivery fee. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    It's not the $20 rental fee, it's the time and effort it takes to go get it.

Or the $50 delivery. In fact if I was going to pay, I'd pay to have it delivered because they will install the new one and remove the old appliance.

But if I can do it myself and save $50 each appliance I get, great. I've done so maybe 4-5 times already (unfortunate with home appliances lately).

-juice
    <chuckle> I'm enjoying these hauling (competition) stories. ;)

For hauling such things up on the roof, do you have crossbars on your Outbacks, or is it ok with just the factory-installed roof rails?

-sb
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    While you cannot fit a sofa inside an OB, I have carried everything from 59 cases of cat food to a king size bed set from IKEA, to my patio furniture set. I love when I cram so much stuff into the car and then just drive off- it's great to have a wagon:-).

Mark
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I have a set of Thule bars, which are always on the car. I also have ski racks for 8 sets of skis, 3 bike racks, and a set of load straps with the bar hold-down attachments.
    Outbacks and Forester come with cross bars standard. Outback Sports have them also, plus they even have nice tie-downs for you.

On base Legacy and Impreza models you can get cross bars as an accessory.

Roof racks are very versatile. Once you own one it's hard to give it up.

-juice
  • rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    Dear Craig,

I love my new Outback XT wagon and when I reached 3,000 miles last week I put Mobil 1 synthetic oil in. I had the work performed at a Walmart quick lub but gave them a Subaru oil filter and gasket I purchased at my dealer. The cost was only $32 vs. $17 for regular oil. So I figured what the heck. If you love you car then treat it like gold.

Bob
    Is it possible to purchase side cargo nets for an '05 Subaru Outback Limited? I got the horizontal cargo net with mine but would also like a pair of side nets like I saw on a Forester at my dealer.
    I've been totally satisfied with the XT Limited's turbo 4. It is very refined, quiet and extremely quick. I passed cars at 95 mph on a recent trip to Florida down I-95. I also own an Audi A4 with a 3.0 liter 6 cyl. engine but I actually prefer the quiet, smooth turbo in the Outback. It performs like a V-8. The Audi is much louder when I accelerate hard.
    Ah, it would be nice to have a set of Thule or Yakima cross bars. I just have the factory crossbars on my Outback and they are quite sturdy even if they aren't nearly as versatile as the aftermarkets.

A roof rack without crossbars is not particularly useful (except as an easy way to attach a set of crossbars); especially if it doesn't have protective strips upon which to place the cargo because you'll just rub all the paint off your roof if you use it like many of us do!
    Well, I'm picking up the new XT on Saturday. Pretty excited! I'll be sorry to see the '02 OB go, though. Only 15,000 miles! But that turbo won me over - and it seems so much more refined inside.

Anything to watch out for or pay special attention to on delivery or in the first few hundred miles?

David
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Rumor has it that keeping the RPM's under 4k, while strictly recommended, is *very* hard to do :)

Just follow the break-in recommendations in the owner's manual for a good start. Other than that, I don't qualify to offer any other advice - I haven't bought a *new* car since my first Subaru in 1978!

Cheers!
    Paul
    Older Forester (like mine) have those rub strips, but I still use the cross bars. The handles built-in to the roof rails serve as tie-downs, also.

Subaru deleted both since.

-juice
    How hard is it to install your the center armrest extention and/or the auto-dimming compass/mirror on a 2005 Outback?

Some vehicles on lots near me don't have one or both of these features, but the part & labor cost to add them seems high. Is it worth it (e.g., for the electric hook-up for the rear view mirror/compass), or can it be done solo? Or should I instead only seek out vehicles with it pre-installed?

I think that's my last question! Thanks, all, for your input and support. This is nervewrecking for me, being my first new car purchase!

-sb

P.S. juice, did you see my email?
    Got it, and replied just now.

I think the wiring for the mirror is up in the headliner, pre-wired sort of. Most Subaru stuff is (like the subwoofers).

Arm rest extension should be cake. I bet it's just a couple of bolts.

If you struggle with either come by on a weekend and I'll help you install them. My Forester has about 20 accessories installed on it.

-juice
    Juice is right, both of those accesories are easy to install.

Craig
  • reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    I am very close to ordering from TireRack.com four Bridgestone Turanza LS-H P225/60-16 for my 01' Outback LTD wagon. Is anyone on this forum running these? How do you like them? They are Grand Touring type. Second choice for me is Bridgestone RE950. Comments please on these as well. TireRack.com has higher ratings on Snow Traction on the Turanza's. FYI I do not go off road at all as a planned event!
    As a question what is the recommended method to assure the wheel nuts are not over torqued? Some places want to use torquesticks ??
    Bob
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I can address the over torque issue. Either have them use a torque wrench, or do what I do, and loosen and then re-torque the wheels with a torque wrench before driving it.
    Bob,

I have heard favorable comments about both tires. The 950 will definitely give you better handling, but will be a tad noisier and ride a bit harder than the Turanza. The Turanza will give you a cushy and quiet ride, but handling will not be as good as the 950. So I guess you can choose based on what's more important to you -- handling or comfort.

Craig
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    I bought the RE 950's for my 02. Love them!
    Tires are NOT noisy to me.
    Very good in the rain and at high speed (at least up to 80- mph! :-)
    Handling/traction in snow is good - not great (I have dedicated snow tires, so for me the *standard* fir "great" is much higher)
    Wear after the first 5,000 miles is very good compared to OE RE92's.

Matt
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Hey everybody, I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer to my GT wagon with Sony CD deck. I was just wondering if I were to buy subaru OEM sub, would it work with that deck or I need to go aftermarket?
    Hmm, it is pre-wired, question is does the harness you used have the correct wiring for the output in the Sony head unit. It should.

-juice
    Well, I didn't install it, circuit city did as the deck was a present to me and included free install. I really don't want the sub in the cargo area, as I don't need a really powerfull one and I look at the OEM sub which should be good enough and suppose to fit under the seat.
    Wow, then you'll pretty much only know if you try it yourself, or go back there to have them install the sub.

I'd go aftermarket, honestly. Wait for a special where they quote an installed price, then let them worry about it.

-juice
    Yeah, you will get a better sub for the money with aftermarket. However, if you want it to fit under the seat, the Subaru sub is the best bet for $175 or so.

If they used a harness adapter to install the Sony deck (highly likely) then the sub should plug into it just fine. I ran the Subaru sub with an Alpine deck in my WRX and it sounded good.

Craig
    Well, I browsed around some after marker subs and they just look too big and I really don't anything mind blowing and want to keep it under the seat. Any suggestions on where I should look?
    If Craig is right I'd e-mail parts@libertysubaru.com and get a price quote on that.

But maybe buy locally so you could return it just in case it doesn't work.

-juice
    So, do I understand correctly that Subaru Sub would be sort of plug and play if harness adapter was used?
    That should be the case. The OE sub is self-powered, and power and the speaker cable are both pre-wired. So if the harness is the right one, it should work just plug-and-play.

-juice
    Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I'm really not that knowledgeable about cars. Would I be able to see those wires under the pass seat and how would I know that they are for the sub?