Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    you need to have good pictures. I pretty much disregard ads without them. Detailed description is important too. highlight everything that has been done to it, etc.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Yes, pictures are a must. Don't be so quick to lower the price, just put a note best offer/negotiable. Quite a few years back I had an 89 Town Car in impeccable shape (actually a Florida car) that I wanted to sell as I was buying a home and it was my toy car. I put it for sale at $500 above high book value and got it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Pics are up and the price is now $9995 but negotiable and I am done! Now I just wait and see what happens. Plan to take some more outside shots tomorrow and then add them. It's in great shape and runs well with low miles for the year...a real cream puff! Someone is going to get a real bargain if they want to because I am ready to let it go now...no longer emotionally involved with it anymore...finally. I am ready for my next and first lux vehicle if it's meant to be. If not, maybe I'll just replace the head unit and keep her a couple more years...I am truly flexible here but I do want to sell it...now! But the new head unit could be fun to...SAT radio could be a nice change for me...and a lot less expensive to!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

if you do keep it, a new headunit can certainly make a big difference. Bluetooth and XM is pretty common now.

you already have the amp, so that should carry over. Only other thing to do is upgrade the speakers if you did not already. That can also make a huge difference.

Added tweeters years ago as the LX didn't come with them thought the place was there for them. And yes, replaced the 4 speakers at the same time before the amp went in. There was a big difference with the aftermarket speakers and the tweeters and was happy for awhile but it needed that extra punch of power and the MXP amp I got really did the trick...get full rich sound and even at high volume, little to no distortion at all. I got what I wanted and the price was under $1k for it all. Adding a new head unit with the modern inputs for my multiple devices and possibly SAT radio would bring me to the next level in a cheaper way truth be told as the new vehicles I am considering already have all this stuff included. So I still get where I want to be entertainment wise but I keep the same driving experience and spend less upfront...way less. And keep the other half off my back even though she'll complain as to why I did ANYTHING! But hey, sometimes ya just gotta throw the 'ole dog a bone to keep 'em happy. Best case scenario is to just hear..."that's nice" for once and move on. We no longer use the Mazda when we go out due to it's high miles and wonkey a/c unit...we take my car every time now so she will see it, hear it and probably [non-permissible content removed] about it...I just can't win here!!!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Right now we have an Odyssey and we are thinking we need a new to us people mover. Anyway, a ways back I checked on prices for 2010 Odysseys and, from memory, they were under 24000 for loaded ones with low miles. Anyway, we might have to buy/lease a small 3rd car so gas mileage on the people mover may not be that much of an issue since it would only be used to move people locally and not used as a commuter. So, a Suburban may not that offensive to our wallet since it wont' be used for a commute. So, trying to figure out if they are even in the same ball park price wise as an Odyssey. Scanning the ads they seem to be priced really high.

So, this is the cheapest one I can find and it isn't even that local. Anyway, I still think it is fairly high.

2010 Suburban LS 1500 4x4
    Black
    56K miles.

They are asking 25000.

In Pittsburgh, PA.
  • jbone108jbone108 Member Posts: 11
    Bham, Al
    2011 Chevy tahoe
    4 Dr Lt
    5.3 Auto
    RWD
    White/tan
    Z-71, leather , back up cam, power seats, blue tooth
    Couple ding, passenger mirror broke glass
    Tires less then 25% remaining
    Brakes ok
    Maintenance so/so record

Thanks for your input
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    only about $7k-$8k on a trade.

how good of a friend? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

$17-$18k trade, $21k PP, $22k-23k retail.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

$25k, give or take a nickel

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Thanks. That is sort of what I was thinking.

The LS Suburbans are hard to find.
  • veersveers Member Posts: 81
    Ouch. KBB Good condition trade in is $10,600 and private party is $12,000. Dealers were offering me $8,000 I thought they were fleecing me. Why is the market for these so weak? I looked for used ones on autotrader, craigslist, etc... and you aren't getting this car for less than $12,500.

My friend is offering $10,750, I thought that was pretty light, but it sounds like It's not going to be easy to get anything close to this from a dealer, right?
    Q, no bites at my $9995 price as of yet except from that company that wants $200 upfront to advertise it for sale. Obviously it is priced too high for the market but noticed the other Civics with more miles and less $ still aren't moving either. And the dealers are offering stupid money on trade so I hate to just give the sucker away. And now think I'm deciding that a Tuscon might be the best of both worlds vehicle wise for my next vehicle...not as lux as the Verano but better ingress/egress and mileage plus possibly a better price point. And with the '15's having the mid-cycle refresh, might just wait it out and keep the current rig until then and live with the factory head unit as I am getting my SAT radio fix from my rental car gig.
    What say the guru on my next move here? After a week, should I just lower the price to $9k and do another week or two with that? Don't want to drop it too low too soon here again because I ain't giving it away and don't need to do this yet. I will be passing the 50k milestone probably by the end of February since I have moved to a new job and a longer commute so assume I would have to lower the price a bit at that point. I'm a newbie here and not just quite sure what my next move should be here. Thoughts, opinions???
    As always, thanks for the great job you do for us folk here in Edmunds! It is appreciated more than you know!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Rear Bumbper nice and scratched up from NYC parallel parking.

I hope you use your parking brake applied firmly all the time? That will protect the parking pawl in the auto trans. As it starts to fail, metal bits start to circulate in the trans. Hard hits put a huge strain on it, but the worst is if you don't use PB on steep hills and then while pulling it out of park, damages the end of the pawl.
    I used to use the emergency brake all the time but lately, I haven't at all. I also just had the rear brakes clean and adjusted when they replaced the front pads and rotors and the e brake is very stiff, it only has one or two clicks right now when engaged. Should I be using it on a regular basis now?
    Thanks all for any help here!!!

The Sandman

I never use the parking brake. I'm basically always parked on flat streets, and don't really think it is necessary.
    I would if I were you. I know it doesn't snow or have temps for ice in FL but for those that do, it also gives you an extra wheel locked for grip on icy surfaces that putting in park doesn't give you.

The reason you only have a couple clicks now, is because when they did your rear brakes, they adjusted the shoes out to better tolerances within the drums. They are suppose to self adjust when braking from a reversing move, but often don't adjust unless you brake hard from reversing.

If you do start the habit of using the PB, pull it on enough to really hold the car so you don't try to drive off with it on until you have the habit of releasing it.

Enjoy having the PB relationship with rear drums, cuz your next car will likely have rear discs and they (many brands) do not have linkage mechanisms that work as well as full-sized PBs on rear drums. Although that is exacerbated by cold temps and salted roads so in that way, you're good to go there too..
    Oh, I thought you mentioned about getting bumped by NY traffic all the time in parking lots..my mistake..
    Not parking lots - rather the brilliant streets of NYC and the clowns who think the way you parallel park is by smashing the nose of your car into the rear bumper of the guy in front of you. My rear bumper looks like it just came out of the warzone in somalia. Not sure the impact is big enough to warrant using the parking brake though.
    edited November 2013
    Why is the market for these so weak?

Its not like its tough to find Camrys. And it is a real basic 4-cyl car. What did that cost new? $17k-$18k? (I'm talking purchase price, not MSRP.) 45% value after 5 years is damned strong.

I looked for used ones on autotrader, craigslist, etc... and you aren't getting this car for less than $12,500.

Asking price and taking price are very different things.

Cost $19,000 new, and that was after some pretty tough negotiating. (VSC and traction control upped the price).If you figure I'm only getting $8,000 for a trade, that makes it $11,000 depreciation over 5 years, or $2200 a year, 42% of value after only 42,0000 miles, seems pretty meh. I could probably swing a lease for around that, maybe a bit more. I would think over a 5 year horizon it should be cheaper to own than to lease, even factoring in giving away some money on the trade. Are you basing the $8k figure on auction data, or on gut feeling? Do you think if I shop it around to 20 dealers or so $9.5k is possible assuming they aren't getting much margin on the new car deal, or would that be a big stretch?
  • danbone111danbone111 Member Posts: 47
    If your friend is offering $10,750, And if that is a firm offer, that definitely changes your depreciation, as opposed to using $8,000.
    True, but I lucked out because I have a friend who is looking. Otherwise it would be craigslist, screening calls, test drives, scammers, weird people, etc... I would strongly prefer to avoid that and to instead trade it in. My operating assumption has always been that it is cheaper to lease than to buy and hold for 3 years, but if you will buy and hold for 5 years then you are better off buying. With $11k straight depreciation, and greater service charges (30k maintenance etc...), that may no longer be true, and would instead point to leasing as a better option even over a 5 year horizon. Of course blue book says dealers should be offering me $10,500 and retailing it for $13,000 or so, which would again make buying the better option. Too bad KBB won't buy cars from you at the suggested trade in price!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Don't forget to add tires. Not too many OEM tires would last to still be good at the end of a 5 year lease.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    That's based on auction values.

I'm surprised it cost that much. Invoice was a tad over $17k and retail $20k, according to MSN. No idea what those options added, though.

$2200 a year ain't bad at all, in my opinion. Hell, if you can find a $183/mo zero down lease that you like, you should definitely get it.

edited November 2013
    VSC is $650 MSRP, $520 invoice, and I got the mat set $230 MSRP $150 invoice. Aol autos give the invoice price with options at $19,310, and MSRP at $21,478. I definitely remember invoice being north of $19k because I worked like a dog to get under it.

Auction data don't lie though, if this car can be had at auctions for $8k can't demand that the dealers give me $10k. AutoTrader offered me $9k sight unseen and I was offended, lol, I hope to see what Carmax will give, hopefully my new accord will retain value better!
    Found this at a nearby Ford store. 1820 miles when I drove it yesterday and I liked it...a lot!!! 1st owner brought it back for the next level up and vehicle is super clean. Brought it home and it fit in the garage with some room to spare...taller than I thought though. They want $23992 for it plus their $699 dealer fee. Got them down to $7500 for my Civic and $18k cash otd...but I really want to pay my car plus $17400 otd which is what I plan to do in the morning but doubt they will take it. They are having their Black Friday sale tomorrow, Autonation, and are giving away a tablet with the first 2500 vehicles sold. So I plan to go in with my $17400 plus my car offer and see what they will do. If they say yes, we got a deal. Told my guy that if the sale does go through, the steelies are going back on and the amp is coming out...to be put into the Escape. He was cool with it as he said they like their vehicles with only factory accessories. The wife ain't happy but she'll only be happy if I keep the Civic.
    It's the SE model with power driver seat, something I would love, and the back up camera. Prefer the black cloth but it has the stone, something I could live with. They want about $1100 for leather to be put in which I am seriously considering right now as I can pick the color. We will see. I know this is a 180 degree change from wanting that BMW drop top, which is still on the lot...both of them! Bet I could get that black one for a lower price right now to!!!
    So what does the car guru think here...is this doable and is their asking price a good deal?

The 1.6 ecoboost engines have had a lot of problems, recalls for internal and external issues.
    The 2.0 and 2.5 are more proven at this point.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    You are all over the map... Why have you cooled off on the Verano?
    edited November 2013
    Not quite sure to tell ya the truth. Love the Verano but love a small ute where I can just slide in and out. My spinal issues have gotten worse lately, I feel really bad all the time now, and am tired of falling into the Civic and pulling myself out of it. I want to be able to slide in and out now as it is painful in the Civic. I've just gotten to that point that I am finally ready to do this and need to for my health and sanity. Have always liked the new Escape but also tried a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport they had but it made terrible noises from underneath. The Mitsu is a handsome rig also and they are right across the street next to the Hyundai and Subaru store. Like Subaru also...so yes, am all over the map here but I want to make the right choice and I need to try many vehicles to find the right one. I don't do this sort of thing that often and I just want to be sure, need to be sure because I don't want to hear the "I told you so" from the other half. So I have to be sure of what I like...and want. Not even sure if the Verano will fit on my side of the garage as it's even longer than the Escape. Right now, my heart is in the Escape, it's easy to drive, see out of...it's just an easy vehicle and I can see myself in one for the forseeable future. I feel like I did when I test drove and bought the Civic...I knew right away that I wanted the Civic the moment I drove it around the corner...some things we just know. And I have this same feeling about BOTH the Verano and Escape...I can see myself in either of them for the next many many years.
    And that's where we're at...I am finally ready to write the check on something new. And getting a '14 model just feels right and personally, I've thought this decision to death already...I am at the point of "over thinking" and just want it done already. I just want it done so I can concentrate on my new job and work cause if I do do this, I will have to work many hours to build back up my accounts to where I am comfortable. I just want this over already!

The Tired Sandman

• whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I hope someone reads this soon as I want to make a deal asap. (unless you think incentives will get better after Dec 2)

location: Sicklerville, NJ 08081, 15 miles south of Philadelphia
    2006 Nissan Murano
    SUV
    3.5, 6 cyl, auto, CVT
    AWD
    Mileage, 48020 (original)
    options...Leather, moon roof, Bose sound,heated and power front driver and pass, memory seat, pedals, alloys. Almost everything but Nav and towing

Interior: extremely clean

tires and brakes, replaced 7500 miles ago
    seat frame/rail replaced this summer (known defect!)

exterior, corner of passenger side rear bumper was repainted very amateurishly, but no dent. Bumper would need repainting but no repairing. Rest of exterior is very good. No other repaired damage or insurance claims.

How much can I expect them to ding me for the bumper paint? It would cost me approx $3-500 to have it done, obviously cost to dealer is lower

title: original owner, purchased when lease expired. Planning to purchase a 2013-14 Murano very soon.
    It has 1830 miles on it and they are asking $24992. Going in the morning for a 2nd round of negotiations and not sure if this is a good price. It has a power drivers seat so it has a certain package. Very clean vehicle, hey it's really brand new, so not sure this price is a good one. Have them up to $7500 on my '06 Honda Civic LX which is the highest from any dealer. think they want to make a deal but they want $17.2 plus tt&l with my vehicle which I think is about $500.00 too high. They have a $699 dealer fee, which most Florida dealers do.
    So, is their price fair and would be $16.8k plus tt&l from me cash plus my car be fair for both sides? I want "fair" for us all so please let me know. Sorry there's not much time here, but with their Black Friday sale, it might be gone before I get there tomorrow but I need to know if my price thoughts are in the ball park here! Thanks again Q!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The 1.6 ecoboost engines have had a lot of problems, recalls for internal and external issues.

So I should temper my enthusiasm for the Fiesta ST?
    (My wife desperately hopes so- she wants me to land on a 500 Abarth)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

So I should temper my enthusiasm for the Fiesta ST?

IMO, yes, but then I'm a Ford boycotter from way back. I also could not believe how really really bad the seat was in a non turbo '13 Fiesta I sat in last summer. The only subC car seat that is worse is the Versa.

Sure..the seats in the turbo are bound to better, but at the end of the day, it's still a Ford.

I have a friend who has a non turbo 500. Aside from a known instrument light reflash issue, (fixed immediately) it's been without fault for 18 months. He also drives his beloved VW TDI when they salt the roads.

I know you are looking for something entirely different, but the L sure has some great ideas. I think they will do well with it also, although does quickly indicate the price of the turbo as std equipment, when you start to option it up even just a little off base.

I'd love to thrash an Abarth on a closed circuit for a couple hours...I'll bet it'd be almost as much fun as two wheels :wink:
    Ok, ok...so it's gonna be hard pressed to compete with 2 wheeled adrenaline...but still tons of fun nonetheless.
    I got the price wrong...they are asking $23992 after the $1k they are taking off right from the start. At $24992, I know it's not a good deal but that extra $1k helps me feel that much better. We will see in the a m as it stands now!

do you know what the original MSRP on that was?

$26 and change I think but am not sure. As of right now, I've put the search on temp hold as now, I am just not sure and the price they want, is more than I want to pay right now. So I will hold off!!!

The Sandman

I don't know how different the 1.6 in the Fiesta is from the one in the Escape.
    This morning, I did see a Festa ST at the dealer where I was getting the 09 Escape serviced.
    My mom has a Fiesta and it's amazingly good on the highway, around town not as much.
    Fiesta is a 'B' sized car, not a 'C'.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I like the size of the Fiesta- it is nimble or "wieldy" as the Brits put it. And I live the optional heated Recaros; some drivers find the bolstering to be too aggressive but for a track geek like me they are perfect. As I mentioned in another topic, my main concerns are long-term reliability and the quality of service(or rather the lack thereof) provided by the Ford dealers in my area.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

well, i took the weekend off.
    If anyone still wants numbers, please repost. It seems, at least in sandman's case, it is no longer needed.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    "Well, i took the weekend off."

So did the website -- good timing.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited September 2012
    oh, hell, in that case... I tried all weekend to help you good folks out!

• ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    Hello,
    My BMWFS lease is coming due and thinking about buying out my car. Residual is $49.8k, and if the market/auction prices are lower, can I negotiate the buyout price?

Year/Make/Model: 2011 BMW M3 E93
    Body Style: [Convertible]
    Engine: [4.0 liter, 8 cylinder, 6-spd manual]
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 30,5xx
    Color: Interlagos Blue exterior/interior Black/silver Nappa leather
    Major Options: Nav, EDC, Premium
    Condition: No dents/dings, glossy paint, clean leather
    Tires - near new (<2k miles)
    Brakes: good
    Maintenance: up to date, no warning lights 'on'
    Other: Orig MSRP was around $78k.

Thanks!
    Yep, I'm done so to speak and not quite sure what I really got for it. The numbers were all fixed around my cash price of $16k so they over inflated the trade price to make the numbers work. Glad I took the Tuscon over the Outlander SE though if I had known much about the Ford C Max, I would've tried that also just for the mileage figures. I know the dealer put it on their website at $10,650 and it was off that same day, not sure how long it had been posted on there but they didn't even fix the rear bumper. Got a call the day after I sold it and just said it was gone as I didn't want to know the price at that point in time. Whatever, it's gone now and have already moved forward. If things were different and I had sole it first, I would've had a rental right now and still possibly be looking as having a straight cash deal makes things so much easier to begin with. But we like Hyundai, like their warranty and love their close location to our house...hell, I could walk there on a nice clear cool day. Having two and a possible third in the stable isn't such a bad thing. The wife mentioned that she'll look at the Accent but now said she might consider the Mazda3 again which tells me, she's gonna have another Mazda3 when all is said and done as I know she won't like the lack of power that the Accent has. She's used to her 2.3 engine and though she would settle for the 2.0, the smaller 1.6 on a daily basis would drive her crazy. I just know that when it's all over, another Mazda3 will be on her side of the garage which is fine by me truthfully. Mazda makes a fine vehicle and it's been pretty reliable really...after 100k, things start to happen. And hell, we also swapped out some motor mounts in our '93 Camry as I recall, stuff like that just happens when one keeps a vehicle for a longer period of time. I do think that the Hyundai Elantra would really be her best choice here, and I will steer her in that direction when the time comes. Luckily they are both across the street which makes my life easier personally since I service the whole fleet...why drive farther away than I have to really.

The Sandman

auction value is in the $42-44k range. I don't think BMW negotiates, but it never hurts to try.

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

OK, so it's back. It will take some getting used to the new look.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

Hope QB finds the new home. Cause I got a question. 2 actually. Both 2009 BMWs:

1) 328i 4 door. RWD. 40K on the clock, premium/climate, looks clean, new sneaks. Certified until 12/14. At a local used car lot. dark blue over tan

2) 128i. Black over black, premium/sport. 55K on it. at a VW dealer.

My son has gone BMW happy now. Knows he can't afford a new one, and is thinking of going this way instead of leasing something less fancy.

edited December 2013

1) might be this one: 12/18/13 NJ Regular $15,000 40,199 Avg BLUE 6G A

2) Could it be called Gray? Here is one in NY and one in CA:

11/07/13 SO CAL Regular $14,400 53,326 Avg WHITE 6G M

12/17/13 NY Regular $12,600 55,020 Below GRAY 6G A

• 100chuck100chuck Member Posts: 149

Wow it's kind of strange to look at some of the postings from the beginning.

• drpc2010drpc2010 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

I have a black 2006 volvo s80 with 85000k miles. It looks very sharp and is fun to drive but I dont need it anymore. What should I expect its value to be?