Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    A thousand thank you's for the clarification. I thought from your previous posts that you were a VW driver. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I had a Hyundai Accent for a rental once - and definitely not by choice. It did have a lot of features, however it was not at all a pleasant driving experience.

Furthermore, we have gotten as good as 33 in our new Passat on the highway, and even if it never got better than 30, I still wouldn't take the Sonata over my Passat.

Did you see the comparison of the Sonata with Camry and Accord on Edmunds.com? They even gave the nod to the Sonata. They made the point that you could buy a loaded Sonata for about the same as Accord LX or Camry LE. The point they did not mention is resale. I'll guarantee you that in five years the Accord, Camry, or Passat will be worth half of what you paid for it new. So far Hyundai and Kia have not shown very strong resale values.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Then why not change your profile? You had to have put "AL" there..... :confuse:
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Sorry, but there's NO way you can get a loaded Sonata for the price of an Accord LX or Camry LE. I'd like to see where that was said. $1000s of difference..... I haven't seen any loaded Sonatas for under $20K....... :confuse:
    It was a comparison on Edmunds.com.
  • janetlacrossejanetlacrosse Member Posts: 20
    I just bought a 2004 Passat, after extensive research online, and test driving the Passat/Camry/Sonata/Altima.
    Camry was nice, too soft of a ride. Sonata was very nice, but couldn't get excited about owning a Sonata, and I also was concerned about resale. Altima, I didn't like this car at all. Loud, interior weird slope.
    Drove the Passat, LOVED it,,,,,a bit more money, but very very happy with my decision. I am getting 34mpg on a two hour highway trip. The drive is fast, fun, and the handling is terrific. Blue dashboard lights at night are awesome to look at, and easy on your eyes.
    My coworker that bought a camry last year is kicking herself for not getting the passat.
    (honda is in too many driveways, I didn't even bother test driving, too boring)
    Since the 04 was on a VW lot, and it was a certified vehicle, you get the remaining warranty, PLUS two more years, and new car interest rates.
    I was afraid of the Passat when I test drove the 2002, then read all the electrical problems, the 2004 ratings are much much better.
  • wevkwevk Member Posts: 179
    My experiance with my 2000 Passat with 55k miles

Front end bearing: $700 right at the end of the two year warrantee
    Map sensor(or whatever they call it): recall
    Secondary air injector pump $700, (now again on its way out)
    Power steering pump: $380
    Tie rods: several hundred
    Busted windshield washer (dealer offered $360 repair)

It now has developed a nasty front end shimmy to complement the low speed engine stumble.

Even our 93 Eurovan didn't start falling (expensively) apart until 80k miles.

WVK
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    So, yeah go buy that Korean thing, you will be ing

I am not in the market for a Korean car, as I already have a very reliable Honda. The only crying car owners I have seen since our Chrysler of the 90s, was a dear family friend Charlotte who has a New Beetle, and has spent THOUSANDS on her car. This isn't acceptable, considering I've never spent a total of $1,000 on my 10 year old car with 155,000 miles on it. She has a 2000 model with 40,000 miles! Pitiful. She is ready to trade her car in, but is a little reluctant, because she just poured $2,200 grand into it, and wants a little more time out of it before dumping it off.

BTW: What is auto hold?
    is a nifty little feature. Say you stop going up a hill. You reach down and press the auto hold button right next to the shifter and it engages the brakes to hold the car on the incline. When you step on the gas it automatically releases the brakes. It works whether you are going up or down a hill.

Sorry about your friends problems with her beetle, but if you'll note my earlier post, the new Passat (and I believe all VWs) now has a much better warranty.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...You reach down and press the auto hold button right next to the shifter and it engages the brakes to hold the car on the incline. When you step on the gas it automatically releases the brakes..."

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." I've wondered for fifty-five years when some auto company would get around to resurrecting a feature originally patented by Studebaker... When I was five years old, our 1950 Studebaker Champion (equipped with a pavement scorching 80 hp L-head six-cylinder engine) had what was advertised as "Hill-Holder". But, I guess it wasn't as well thought-out as "Auto Hold", since Studebaker cheaped out by not including some stupid button the driver had to remember to push to engage it - "Hill-Holder" was fully automatic to the most recent full stop braking force until the accelerator pedal was depressed. For the seven years dad owned that bullet-nosed car, "Hill-Holder" worked faultlessly.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    The VW Jetta won the comparo in the Feb. 2006 Car and Driver Magazine. It beat out the Acura TSX, Honda Accord EX V-6, Mazdaspeed 6, and Pontiac G6 GTP.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks - we appreciate the information, but please don't post it in multiple discussions - thanks.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "The VW Jetta won the comparo in the Feb. 2006 Car and Driver Magazine."

So, how have VWs fared over the past four or five years in CR's owner-rated reliability comparos? ;)
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    which version of the Jetta was this? I have heard great things about the Mazdaspeed6 so would expect it to lift the trophy. Also, why doesn't the Jetta then make it to the 10Best list ahead of the Accord?
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    I think it was the Jetta GLI.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    that the Jetta GLI was available when Car and Driver did their 10 best. Besides, the Accord wins in the family sedan segment whereas the Jetta would be more likely to replace the TSX in it's slot than it would the Accord.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    My experiance with my 2000 Passat with 55k miles ...

My 2000 GLX 4Motion wagon is doing just fine (at 80,000 miles). The only things I have needed to replace out of warranty so far are a battery ($70 and 15 minutes including sales at Kragen's) and a couple of lights (a few bucks and 10 minutes including sales). I had a number of weaning problems, as quite typical for new model VWs (MAF sensor, gas tank sensor, seat memory) that were covered under warranty in the first few weeks of ownership. And a premature water pump failure, that was covered (but cost me some money for towing). OK, this is, as we all know, not the most reliable car on the planet - I have had about one warranty issue per year (including an oil leak). But my cost of ownership has been stellar, resale value alike (wasn't considered totalled in a severe $16,000 crash when parked in a parking lot), and safety is one of the best of any car of this model year (http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/iihs_sr_031505.pdf) ...

I am happy with this car - it drives and handles like a champ - makes me smile everytime I drive it.
  • elchurroelchurro Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to decide between the Camry SE (4 cyl.) and the Passat 2.0T. On paper, they seem to be very similar. I have not yet driven the Camry as they are reportedly flying off the lots but hear good things about it. Although the Camry has less hp, the Passat apparently has some reliability issues.

I'd appreciate any guidance.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    It is new design so nobody can predict, but...
    It has turbo charged direct injection engine. If you want to cut corners on maintenance this is not car for you.

Krzys
    Don't go to dealerships asking to drive a "V4", as they'll think you know nothing. 4 cylinder cars have "inline" engines, noted here as I-4 (or an inline-4).
    I have a 2004 Passat and love it. I test drove the 2005 Camry - it was nice and smooth- but in my opinion did not grab the road the way the Passat does. Camry's seem to be very popular with the over 50 age group. It's a nice smooth ride - but I think you'll love the way a Passat drives.
    Good luck with your decision.
    The old Camry shouldn't be compared to the current one - it had nowhere near the road feel a car should have; something someone has addressed previously. The new Camry should be much better.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    You were concerned with resale and bought a VW....that is ironic. And to talk about problems, ever heard of the sludge issue on the 1.8t????
    Yes-I have heard of the sludge problem. I've read all about it - fortunately it is not a 2004 issue. And Yes- I doubt resale on a Sonata will not hold up to a VW. You come across very :sick: - having a bad day?
    This was a 2005 Camry. If the 2006 is a better feel - good for Toyota. I do notice 95% of the drivers are over 50 or 60. Perfect car for them.
  • lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    I bought the W8 after trading ina a BMW 330i. I needed a little more room, and the Passat fit the bill. It has been relatively trouble free, other than going through 2 sets of break pads in 36,000 miles (probably a driver issue, although the car is heavy).

My only major complaint (and this probably isn't an issue with the new Passats) is that I get terrible, TERRIBLE gas mileage. I get about 13 mpg in the city, and the thing takes premium fuel only. Hence, I placed an order for a hybrid Camry.
    Nope, my day is fine. I have owned Passats (B5/B5.5) and know first hand how poor the resale is.
    What year were your Passats? Did you enjoy the drive?
    I have never heard that VW has a poor resale. Is this based on a trade in - or for sale by owner?
    Glad your day is going well. :)
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    link title

According to this site, VW is quite good actually.

The brand ranks 3rd, after Honda and Toyota.
    2000 and 2002. They were great to drive. The resale comment is based on what I see them selling for within a couple of years after new. The newer ones 2004+ seem to fair a little better in relation to the rest of the market. I loved my Passat, but would never buy one new. Just like my Volvo. Never buy a new Volvo unless you are keeping it unitl it dies, because resale is horrible. Even on the "R" line.
  • mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    lawguy -

I've got to ask...What kind of gas mileage were you expecting when you bought the overweight, 8 cylinder Passat?

I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you're going to get horrible gas mileage and be forced to buy premium fuel.

Didn't you take these factors into account before spending $40K+ on the car. Now you're in the market for a hybrid!?! LOL

You remind me of these people who buy gigantic SUV's, cry about filling the tank, then trade it in for a Civic.
    The link the reader above gave lists the 2002 Passat as the #1 re-sale mid size car. I never buy new. 2 years old is perfect - can do a little research on the car - and pay much less. I absolutely love the way the Passat feels on the road - plan to keep this car for awhile. ;)
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    I think that buying hybrid for city driving is good idea.
    Buying hybrid for suburban commuting is not.

And W8 Passat. It is 4 liter and AWD, what did you expect?

Krzys
  • cometolivercometoliver Member Posts: 3
    I like the passat over the camry and accord but want to get a nav system and I've read mixed reviews. Anyone have an opinion on the passat nav system? Thanks
  • canaanmancanaanman Member Posts: 21
    I appreciate the comparisons of Honda to VW, but I am also considering the Acura TSX - any comments or opinoins?
    It would be best to start a new discussion that specifically addresses the vehicles you are considering. Just go here and use the Add Discussion link to fire it up. :)
    One way to do this is to check out the "Accord vs. TSX" board...there are many opinions on that comparison. I don't believe they include VW in on it, just Accord versus TSX only...
    Which is why starting a new discussion including the specific vehicles canaanman is interested in would be the best thing ...

OTOH, if you are recommending using the existing discussions that include any of the vehicles canaanman mentions for research, I wholeheartedly agree. It's just that we don't need to "untrack" any of the existing ones. :)
    Right-o.
  • jthewoodjthewood Member Posts: 6
    Lawguy,

Was the mileage really that bad? I have been looking at a 2004 W8 with the sport package and I really like it for a larger car. I currently drive a WRX wagon and I need the extra space for a growing family (wife's due in a few weeks). You said you had a 330 which is another model I've considered. Was it's mileage much better?

Thanks,

Jason
  • rahmibubrahmibub Member Posts: 39
    I wasn in the market looking for a replacement for my trusty Honda and went with the Passat.

At this point, everyone knows that the Accord and Camry will always be more reliable than the Passat, so I won't expand on that any further. As long as it is above average in reliability, it's good for me.

I went with the Passat because it had a lot of safety and creature comfort features you couldn't find in the Accord or Camry - like
    * Power seats with Memory
    * Directional bi-xenon headlamps
    * MFD integrated NAV system
    * Excellent Interior layout (personal preferrence)
    * Excellent handling and acceleration

I wasn't able to check out the Accord's NAV (they didn't have one to test drive) and I am sure it is faster than the one on the Passat, but the MFG integration was well executed.

IMHO, it all boiled down to is this:
    * Accords are great cars. More stylish than the Camry's and more fun to drive for those who want something more than just going from A to B. The Accord has tons of great features, and has a better bang for the buck because of it - but Honda's insistance on leaving out Power Memory seats really killed the deal for me (since we use our cars interchangeably in my family).
    * The Camry's are a nice car - but really pedestrian. Nobody can argue their reliability, but their designs aren't going to excite anyone. Admittedly, the last time I test drove the Camry was when my wife was looking for a new car, and we were thoroughly under-impressed. The negative interior and drive irked us so much, that the Camry never made it into the short list.

I got the Passat because I am still young (ROFL on that 50+ driver for Camrys comment), and I will be willing to put up with a few more repairs for a car that will ellicit a huge grin on my face when I sit in it.

Just avoid the Nissan Altima - this was the first time I ever saw an automotive manufacturer using printed Wood Grain stickers for an interior. I guess Nissan's reputation for cheap interiors was very well earned.
    I went with the Passat because it had a lot of safety and creature comfort features you couldn't find in the Accord or Camry - like
    * Power seats with Memory
    * Directional bi-xenon headlamps
    * MFD integrated NAV system
    * Excellent Interior layout (personal preferrence)
    * Excellent handling and acceleration

Well, I'd argue that the Accord V6 and Camry SE V6 handle quite well, as well as accelerate well. Also, a Passat with all of these features will cost equal to an Acura TL, not an Accord. I'm not knocking your preferences, but indeed a loaded Passat competes with entry-lux cars like TL and G35 based on price.
  • rahmibubrahmibub Member Posts: 39
    LOL! I agree with you on that point!

The v6 Passat pricing is indeed in the entry-lux segment - which is surprising on how wide the price range is for this car.

Since this was the Accord / Camry / Passat forum, I omitted the fact that also test drove the Acura TL. Didn't drive the G35 though - I was too put off after the Nissan Maxima test drive to even consider a Nissan Brand - I know, not very objective. :D
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Okay, I had a VW email me and mention that I can lease a

2008 VW Passat Komfort MSRP $29,000

Payment: $324mth, 36mth, 12k

Now this is with $0 DOWN!!! meaning that I could save my $2k I was going
    to put down on a car.

BUT, I really have my heart set on the Accord, but compared to this deal, it seems
    so expensive, to be at the same range, I would need to put down $2k, but that is the EX-L 4cyl navi, and one amazing car. I want to lease, not buy, but I am not sure
    what I should do, after all it is only a lease. VW is a great company. The Passat
    is one nice car as well, and probably has even more options. I thought if I
    get the passat, have the for 3 years, and the Accord will have better deals then...
    But I am not sure what to think or do, but the offer really has me thinking hard!

Please let me know what you guys think on what I should do.
    Dealer told me that this is for this month only, and some how,
    I believe him, because they keep extending the specials on VW.com

Let me know!
    If anyone is out there, please let me know what you guys think...
    They are offering nearly $4500 in savings, my mother is a VW owner and I live in the same house, so I get the loyalty cash,, I am trading, so I will have lease loyalty, plus incentives, but I want your input if I am making a good choice, but I was really wanting the Accord.

08 Komfort passat , Cobalt Blue, Very rich creamy blue, Black leather, sunroof, power seats, 6disc cd changer, heated seats. Rear window blinds, push start, aux input, HID head lights. Also it has Tiptronic transmission with minus and plus controls on the steering wheel to control the 6spd transmission. 2.0T engine, 200hp. Larger rims.

Let me know, if I should just pull the trigger?
    I would suggest you also research the individual vehicle discussions, including the Prices Paid for each one. Better to make your own decision based on a whole body of information than to wait for one person to tell you what to do. ;)

Good luck - let us know how it turns out!
    I have already past that step...lol just wanted feedback, thanks though! I've got it covered...

It is looking more in the favor of the Passat, I am getting I am getting $3,700 worth of incentives. Plus I am getting the car at invoice. So when comparing both Accord and Passat leases together, it really makes sense financially, and this incentive on the Passat is amazing! I really don't think I should pass this up, considering the Accord will not ever have an incentive like this for a long time, and when they do, it is certainly not going to be this soon in its deput and I have little miles left on my current lease. So,honestly, as much as I love the new accord, there are other great cars out there, this lease deal is much better financially and realistically for a lease, with the least money involved, and that is what it is all about.

Thank You!

;)
    Well, enjoy!! From what I understand, folks love their Passats. Keep in touch! :)
  • pioneerichpioneerich Member Posts: 3
    I caught a dealer-manager who was pissed at his s :shades: sales staff.
    He sold me a top of line Passat Wagon for $0.75 over invoice
    LESS the VW hold-back costs.

My older Passat Wagon has had 3 Turbo pumps replaced by
    VW. Keep the oil change records....it is important.

:shades:
    My older Passat Wagon has had 3 Turbo pumps replaced by
    VW.

I'd have a hard time giving ANY money to a car brand who gave me that much trouble!
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    I am planning to purchase a new car and I am sort of confused either to choose camry or accord. Both have got the same features , price etc. I am looking at Accord EX Vs Camry SE. I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable, how far is it true? Is it very very uncomfortable. Also comapring the HP, its 155 for camry Vs 192 for Accord. I am planning to add in the package which includes moonroof etc in camry and inspite of that the price comes almost the same. Kindly help me in arriving at a decision.