Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn S-Series

Comments

• saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    After visiting my dealer today, I was informed that my rotors warped (front)at 11,000 miles. They were resurfaced for free, and I hope to get another 20,000 miles out of them. So, while Im not happy in regards to needing the rotors resurfaced, I understand that things happen. So, Im still looking at the altima, jetta, and now the 2003-4 L Series.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    We've got a '96 SL, and I'm blown away at how reliable this little car is. We've got about 65K miles on it, and outside of routine maintenance the only thing it has needed is 1 battery and an EGR valve (both of which I changed myself). Saturn always advertised low cost of ownership, and boy were they right!
    I did receive a letter from Saturn a few years ago about the cracked cylinder head issue, but as of yet I have not noticed any of the symptoms.
    Glad to hear redline, while I am looking at other autos to replace my SL1, I am starting to have a newfound interest in Saturn again. Whether it is enough for me to purchase a 2003 L Series, Vue, or Ion, remains to be seen.
  • rhouserhouse Member Posts: 3
    I agree for the most part...
    But the problem is not with my dealer, it's with
    the corporate attitude. What happened to: "We have a problem part...lets fix it! As it is now,
    my headlights vibrate, the dash buzzes, i can feel buzzing through the entire car! But I'm working on it, and will solve the problem some-
    how, hopefully. So, next year when I trade in I
    probably will go to the Saturn dealer, I just wont
    be buying a saturn! Just like the six other people
    I've recently talked to, with the same problem, have indicated.
  • denvaildenvail Member Posts: 3
    The head on my '96 SL went in Jan 2000 after a 500 mile road trip. It had 70k miles at the time.
    The dealer did not even suggest cost. It was all taken care of under manufactures defect(Towing and all).
    Now at 102k miles the clutch bearing and clutch need to go, with the 0% finance, I will be driving away with a new one (2002 SL with automatic) this afternoon and leaving the '96 behind...
    Overall it's been OK..
    I would assume you meant the SL1, since the SL has never been available with an automatic transmission. As someone who has bought a second S Series Saturn, I strongly suggest you look into an L Series, for I myself can't stand my S Series on some days, for the simple fact that it isn't fun to drive imo. Even an SL2, would be worth a look.
  • denvaildenvail Member Posts: 3
    I do mean an SL with automatic.
    It even has SL2 type seats, I could have gotten one with air too!
    Although I am disapointed with it, I may see about the 30 money back deal!
    It's the same as the 96 except for a bit of appearance...not worth the cash imo...
    Don't get me wrong, I believe Saturn has some very good qualities, such as the polymer panels, good crash test results, and good dealer service. However, when it comes to build quality, Saturn has taken a big turn for the worse.

This may be more then you wish to spend, but if would be willing to look outside the Saturn family, look into the 2003 Honda Accord. I test drove one yesterday (2003 Accord LX) that was about $ 19,160.00. It was awesome to say the least, the interior was very well assembled with high quality fabric/plastics/ it has a new 160hp 4 cylinder that was very smooth, and it comes standard with abs, pwr windows/locks/ 6 speaker cd player/ keyless entry, and so on. If price is an issue, you could look into an Accord DX for around 16-17k. Good luck
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I agree with your post except.... the dealership and the abilities of its employees here in the Ma. area really leave a lot to be desired. I plan on driving a 03 Accord. I gave Saturn a chance with a 99 SC2 that now has 110K miles and I am not impressed. Highway miles do not agree with this car.
  • hooangelhooangel Member Posts: 2
    I have had similar experiences. Numerous things have gone wrong with my Saturn, the most recent being the transmission. My car is a 1996 with 65K on it and the transmission did not give any warning signs, it just broke. I do not want to pay the $2500 to fix the car as I am tired of pouring money into it. I was wondering if you completely fixed the car before selling it or found some wonderful person to take it with mechanical problems...Thanks.
    As Saturn retailers are independently owned and operated, there is some difference in service quality from what I have heard.. As a whole however, Saturn retailers are known to be a cut above your traditional haggle prone Toyota or Nissan dealer.

As I mentioned, I drove the 2003 Accord last Saturday, and I was very impressed. For the price/features ratio, it runs rings around the 2003 L Series. I posted a bit more info regarding my test drive of the Accord in the "2003 Accord Redesign" room if your're interested. Im sure you'll like it.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Can anyone tell me how to reprogram the keyless remote on a 1997 Saturn SW2 so that the horn WILL NOT honk when I press the Lock or Unlock buttons on it?

Thanks,
    -David
    Prolly a good idea to contact your Saturn retailer, or call 1800-553-6000 for customer assistance
  • 3bears3bears Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else been having trouble with motor mounts? I have 63k miles on my Saturn and for the second time I have a collapsed right-side motor mount. I was told by the dealer that this is a common problem but I never had this problem on my 1994 Saturn.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    We had to have our motor mount replaced also, along with the water pump on our 1997 SW2 about 6 months ago. That was $400+ that I wasn't too happy to pay on a car that we bought new 6 years ago and currenty only have 42,500 miles on it!!!!
  • 300silverbulit300silverbulit Member Posts: 60
    early and mid 90's repairs. I did both on my 94' SL2.
    And more things. I got rid of it this past summer at 120,000 miles. I couldn'take the low seat and powerseatbelts any more.

The new ION looks good for it's size and powertrain.
  • cpwingnutcpwingnut Member Posts: 49
    I saw pics of the new Ion and the styling is great, and I really like the concept of the quad coupe, but the center mounted instrument cluster is awful. That alone will prevent me from buying one. Maybe its the next generation thing and more cars will adopt the idea from Mini Cooper but ergonomicaly it would anoy me to all ends. I guess it it could be a cost cutting idea for cars that are manufactured for different countries with right hand drive, but I can't see that being the case for a Saturn?
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    The center gauges are no big deal at all. Every review I have read give Ion good marks for visibility because of it and say you get used to it all very quickly.

Check out the Ion forum, there are links to some reviews.
  • alchemy2alchemy2 Member Posts: 6
    At 20,000 miles the engine noise increased substantially and the dealer replaced the muffler under the warranty. They stated that they are starting to see a few SL2's with a slight crack in the muffler. Now I have almost 40,000 miles and the engine is again louder than before. I suspect a new muffler is again needed. Since I exceeded my 36,000 mile warranty I guess I must foot the bill. Even the extended warranties do not cover the exhaust system or catalytic converter. Has anyone else experienced similar exhaust problems?
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    Your exhaust system is covered for 75,000 miles or 5 years including the cat. Check your warrenty section of your owners manual to verify this. I may be slightly off here...

OR

If you think the OEM is garbage you can always go to a muffler shop and for 100 bucks get a different muffler put on.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    hi everyone i just bought a 1997 saturn sl2 for 4000 it has 101000 miles on it i paid 3900 is this a good car any info much appriaciated
    Despite what some people may tell you here (for most people only post issues when they are problems) Saturn's S Series line of cars have been rated above average in consumer reports for years, scored well in initial quality according to JD Power & Associates back in the 96-98 model years.

As to your particular SL2, I cannot say if it is a great Saturn compared to an average one. I have some questions. Did you purchase this SL2 from a dealer/ big dealership or small? or did you buy it from an individual? Did you have a carfax check done on the vehicle to check for accident/flood damage? Do you have any or all of the SL2's original maintenance records ?

Is it automatic or stick ? Did you check the cars value on kellybluebook.com ? I checked a 97 SL2 with 101,000 miles/ 5 speed/ air/cd which came out to be worth $ 3850.00 in a private party sale.

My Saturn experience has been decent. I had a 1998 SL which I put 30,000 miles on before I traded in for a 2001 SL1, which currently has near 12,000 miles. My 98 SL's only problems were a failed computer control module at 18,000 miles, and my 01 SL1 has had the rotors resurfaced recently. Otherwise, they have been great cars. Good luck ..
  • chasmalachasmala Member Posts: 14
    I went to see the new ION on Sunday. No sales people around so I had a chance to look and not be bothered. But I do have a question. The doors? Are they steel? They didn't feel like the front and rear fenders. If that's the case, how come? Did I miss something? I always thought the reason Saturn maintain such a new look is because of the Polymer body. I know the L series does not have Polymer doors, but why change the ION to steel? Otherwise, I like the look and will definitely take one out for a test drive.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    L-series have polymer doors as do the IONs.
    The L Series front fenders, and door panels are polymer, only the rear quarter panels near the back of the L are steel for saftey reason.

The ION, is completely polymer except the hood/roof/trunk lid. Starting at $ 11,995 for a base ION with one of the most powerful engines in its class, industry firsts like electronic steering, make the ION a great buy imo. I think you'll walk away impressed.
    The S Series room is probably quiet due to the fact that S Series cars are no longer being produced in favor of the more powerful, more refined, ION. Get Ionized.
    This time if I need another oil burner ....I will get a diesel
    what ever floats your diesel boat man
  • ochsskochssk Member Posts: 52
    Every so often our '95 Saturn SL-2 seems to get stuck in 2nd gear (automatic). It's usually on a secondary street less than a mile before I'm at my destination. Could this be a sign of a terminal problem or might it be something simple? Anyone have a similar problem?

The car has 85K on it and is due for it's 90K service soon.

Thanks

Steve
    I am not a mechanic so to tell you I know what the problem is would be false. I would have your nearest Saturn retailer look at the car for your best bet. good luck.

While you're there, check out the new 2003 ION, maybe you won't have to worry bout the SL2 cause the ION may surprise you.
  • angrysoteangrysote Member Posts: 1
    Well I just register for this forum and I see many people comparing saturns vs honda civic!!!! well the only thing I can say is that civics are a disgrace and really they can not be compared to saturns at all. In my point of view saturn is a real car compare to any honda, or toyota!!!!!! and I guess we should be proud of having a reliable and durable american car and not all the japanese cars that we have here in the USA!! and talking about horsepower well why do we need more horsepower in a saturn it still can beat any 4 cylinder honda or toyota!!!
  • ponch49ponch49 Member Posts: 17
    I bought my father a used Saturn and he is thoroughly pleased with it. The only setback is the low seat position which, with his height, makes him want to place a cushion on it to improve his position. The adjustments on the seat don't do enough. My question is whether there is a way to raise the seat without compromising safety? Are there larger/higher seat mounts available? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    At 6,1 210 the seat is to low and its to tight of a fit to be comfortable in our sc2 .Any rides over an hour just are not fun . if you raise the seat wouldnt headroom become an issue ? She drives the car I just keep adding oil to it LOL . Any long rides we take the 95 Eldorado ETC
  • ponch49ponch49 Member Posts: 17
    Plenty of head room due to the height of the driver. Raising the seat about 3 inches would be perfect but again, I don't want to jeopardize the safety aspect of the vehicle.
    Seat height is one of the issues addressed by Saturn with the new ION, for it has a higher position in comparison with the S. A good bet might be something as simple as an extra seat cushion or two which can be found at most auto parts stores or department stores.

I don't see this solution to compromise the vehicles safety in any way. "Always buckle up"
  • zapcatzapcat Member Posts: 64
    Anyone know what the symptoms would be for a 'bad'

fuel filter on a '95 SL1. I have 83k on the orig.
    your best bet is to look on saturnfans.com, you may find an answer there.
  • mclean3mclean3 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of purchasing a 2001 Saturn, automatic, low mileage, 4 door. Only was add in paper today. I know they are suppose to get good gas mileage/ kilometers. Would like some input on vehicle, would be appreciate any comments, good or bad

thanks
    I am on my second Saturn, a 2001 SL1 5 speed.
    My thoughts as to this individual car are good overall, the gas mileage is good, it received the highest crash test rating for driver an passenger, it is quiet at cruising speeds and does what I need it to do and hasn't given me any major trouble (knock on wood)

What I would change? The seats are thin, and can become uncomfortable on longer drives, and I wish it had more power..

IF you have the need for speed, check out the SL2, or an L Series.. Otherwise, the SL and SL1 are good, dependable vehicles that don't ding or rust. A big bonus imo
  • kathysdogskathysdogs Member Posts: 3
    Right now I am at least the third owner of an 89 Toyota Corolla sedan (I inherited this vehicle, which is the first one that I own). One of my more experienced friends owns a 98 (or possibly 97)Saturn sedan; am not sure if it's the S series (if that's the cheaper series, then I think that's what it is). He swears by his vehicle which he says has the twin cam (I think) 4 cylinder engine which picks up very well, even with the air conditioning on. That's more than I can say about my Corolla, which becomes anemic (but that's better than my late father's VW Rabbit which would stall unless you waited to drive at least a mile before turning on the air).

My Corolla has just over 85k on it and have had to have the brakes replaced after 8k (guaranteed for 12k; am no lead foot), have had to have locks repaired twice in seven years and am having a cold starting problem; recently spent almost $800 on various repairs connected with inspection and winterization. Would like to be able to scrape together a few thousand dollars to eventually replace vehicle. Am apprehensive, since this would be my first trade (when the time comes). Checked the Toyota boards and got mixed postings, just like the Saturn board. Think the Saturn would be a better value, especially now that Toyotas are also made in America. What years should be avoided?

Would appreciate sincere advice.

Thanks!
    Hi, lets see.. years to avoid on the S Series... the more rounded looking S Series sedan and wagon came out in 1996, with the redesigned coupe a year later. I have heard that 1998 is the best year S Series, and 1999 and 2000 weren't too bad either.

The most important thing is to make sure the vehicle has been well maintained, with maintenance records. Also, it is always a good idea to have a carfax history report done so you can check for possible accidents and problems..

Consumer Reports states that nearly all years of the S Series are reliable and I believe this to be true. (excluding hardware issues). I checked a local retailer www.saturnofalbany.com and found these late model S Series sedans for sale..
    1999 Saturn SL2 Gold 40,981 $8,495

1999 Saturn SL2 Green 65,761 $6,995

1996 Saturn SL2 Green 69,996 $5,495

Maybe you could check out www.autotrader.com as well, but I would stick to buying a Saturn from a Saturn retailer. If you do buy from a Saturn retailer , you will get at least a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty in most cases as well as roadside assistance. I personally am on my second Saturn, and haven't had any major problems with either one. Plus, you can't beat the polymer door panels/ and low cost of ownership . Happy Hunting :)
  • kathysdogskathysdogs Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your quick response! I left a question on the Toyota Corolla board a few minutes before posting my message #1022 here and have not received a response pertaining to my inquiries about problems I am having with my 89 Corolla.

Thanks also for going to the trouble of checking the saturnofalbany.com site. The 96 in green would have best fit my budget; unfortunately, I live in Northeast Phila. so Albany would be quite a hike. Now I just need to pinch some pennies and check a couple dealers down here, especially the one where my friend got his champagne (or gold) colored 98 (would need to be an automatic). (He had traded in a Honda Accord!) When you said if I stuck to a Saturn retailer, you said I probably would get at least a 12 month, 12K warranty - I assume you're talking about previously owned vehicles? I would also hope that a Saturn retailer would use the touted no-haggle policy on used vehicles as well as on new ones? I am not much for haggling on things and since this would be my first purchase (and being a single woman) I get apprehensive about being ripped off! I'm also impressed that this is your second vehicle by this make so it's obvious you know your stuff.

Thanks again!
    FIRST !!! Watch out for oil consumption CAREFULLY .....If you can have contract state that excessive oil consumption is a reason for complete repair or they will buy it back ...less mileage you put on it . Look up saturn forum it,s more than just a small isolated problem . other than that the car is ok for a low priced car
    The 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty is available on most used cars sold through a Saturn retailer, and yes the no hassle, no haggle policy applies for pre owned Saturn's as well. It's always a good idea to check the cars expected retail value (the price you'd expect to pay at a dealer) at www.kellybluebook.com.

You would of course be able to save money by purchasing from a private party, but make sure to get maintenance records, have a carfax report done, www.carfax.com (need the vin #) and of course check the value on kellybluebook. Also, if you buy from an individual it couldn't hurt to have the car checked out by a local mechanic (usually costs around $ 50-100.00 at a Saturn retailer. If you have any other questions , don't hesitate to ask
  • travelertraveler Member Posts: 67
    It has been quite a while since I visited this site. Alot of new names. I have a 99 sl2 bought new in april 2000. I now have almost 83,000 miles on it. I have ac, auto, am/fm cassette as far as extra options. I got just over 76,000 on the original tires and replace them with goodyear allegra tires. Have changed the trans fluid and filter twice at close to the recommended 30,000 mile interval. My only recurring problem is the resonator as it developes stress cracks at the welded joint between it and the exhaust pipe, on the third one. Otherwise original rotors, struts.At last oil change, noticed that it was down about a quart so its possible the engine has developed the using oil syndrome. I do most of the routine maintenance myself and changed the oil and filter between 3000 and 3500 miles. Also replaced the front pads at around 54,000, they still had some life but it was close to the yearly state inspection time so decided to replace them. Will add that about 60 percent of my driving is on highways. Gas mileage varies from a low of 33 to a high of 38. Overall, it has been a economical and reliable car asit has always got me back home.
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    Zapcat; My wife has a 96 SL2 automatic with 56K. She was having problems with the transmission shifting, It would slam into gear on acceleration and would not downshift until about 5 mph, then it would be very harsh. Service department said it was probably a bad valve body, est cost $1,000+ but recommended waiting until it got worse. It was also surging during heavy acceleration. This went on for about a year. I changed Trans fluid and filter, plugs and wires, added fuel Injector cleaner, etc, it would act better for a little while then start shifting hard again. I was considering trade in, but then I decided to check the fuel filter. I removed the filter and tried to blow through it and found a lot of resistance. I even cut it open and noticed a real fine black coating on the paper filter. I replaced the filter and everything is back to normal, no surging now and the transmission shifts as smooth as it did when new.
  • amh35amh35 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2001SL Saturn three weeks ago, and this morning while driving on the highway my car began shaking hard once I hit 50mph, and felt like it wasn't shifting. I had a very hard time going any faster than this. Then when I exited the highway and stepped on the brake, the pedal was already halfway depressed. The brake pedal has been sticking kind of randomly for about a week, but I have never experienced anything as severe as this. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday morning, but has anyone else had a problem like this?
    The closest thing I can come up with is my 2001 SL1's brake pedel pulsated when I was braking from around 50mph or so, and the steering wheel would shake a bit. The rotors were warped and were resurfaced for free at Saturn.

Let me know how everything worked out...
  • pcomirepcomire Member Posts: 2
    Saturn "s" series with sohc heads (sl,sl1 and sw1)tend to burn oil IF they don't get their oil changed often enough, the residue formed when Hydro carbons get into the oil on all cars tends to get caught in the piston rings on these saturns and lessen the piston rings' less effectiveness. The problem is not very prominent on dohc engines (sl2,sw2) maybee because their owners payed more for them and are better at keeping to the maintenance schedule.
    ALSO NOTE THAT 1995 AND 1996 SATURNS seem to have more problems, their quality seems to have dipped at that point, which I think is when G.M. started sticking their nose into Saturn's affairs, plus there were union problems at the assembly plant at that time, cars were purposely being delivered to dealers with miss matched parts and such at times.
    As far as the CRACKED CYLINDER HEADS that someone was asking about,this was on sohc engines only. The journal for the last camshaft was cracking(part of the head) and coolant was getting into the oil. This required replacement of the head and all rubber hoses, pumps seal in the cooling system, which can swell when in contact with oil.
    This would not affect oil consumption, unless the oil was getting into coolant and that would be obvious, 'cause the coolant looks like mud when it occurs! Any more questions?