Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    There's a lot of discussion on the Audiworld website about how to improve the Bose sound system (and almost no one defending it).

Apparently, the head unit is not itself of Bose manufacture and has embedded coding that allows it to work with the downstream Bose components (amp and speakers) or with other brand components. Either your Audi dealer or a properly-equipped audio shop can reprogram the head unit to operate with non-Bose components by changing the fourth digit in the coding from a "1" to a "0".

Most of the evil of the Bose system reportedly resides in its amp, where Dr. Bose's odd equalization theories reign. (He has said that high frequencies are "tiring", and consequently his systems attentuate high-frequency output. I have never been able to decide whether he believes this bunk or just uses it as an excuse to market crappy speakers at a premium price.) The amp can then be changed out using a Blaupunkt harness connector (again, you'd best be using a sophisticated audio shop). The last stage of improvement would be to change the speakers.

This ain't cheap, but it would allow you to get rid of Dr. Bose's eclectic equalization theory (or scam marketing) without having to mess up the look of your dashboard.

Re Nosho's comment in the message above . . . it wouldn't surprise me at all if the stock system sounded better than the "premium" Bose. I've never heard a good Bose sound system in a home, car, or dorm room (where Bose first made his mark in the 1960's with boomy, bass-heavy systems that sounded better and better as you got stoned.)
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The phrase I hear the most: "no highs, no lows. . .it must be Bose!"

Sorry I couldn't resist. I do think the Bose is better than the stock however, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    codmancorickcodmancorick Member Posts: 1
    Looking hard at a 98A6Q,48k.What "1st year bugs" should I beware of?(Gas tank and dash display recalls have been done, I am told).Have previously owned FWD Audis. Will the Q be noticably slower?A little paranoid as I will be getting out of a 96A6 that has been the most trouble-free of my 6 Audis.Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    If you can get the all inclusive "facotry" 75K warranty, fine. If not, run away from this car as fast as possible. The 99's were better IMO.
  • Options
    docdoowopdocdoowop Member Posts: 6
    I'm seriously thinking of going from a '99 A4 Avant to an '02 A6Q 3.0 sedan. Can anyone tell me if Audi U.S.A. is offering a warranty extension as a customer incentive?
  • Options
    markcinti3markcinti3 Member Posts: 17
    The problem with the word current is that they are just that "current" -- who knows if they will last through June 1?

There is a loyalty incentive -- requirements, prior lease with Audi Financial, new car lease through Audi financial. Benefit (was, still could be): no sec dep and first month's payment (capped at $800) made for you. No money down.

So you can lease one of these delightful cars for 30 or 36 months and pay for 29 or 35 months and, based on my experience you can realistically "early out" on your lease 2 - 5 months with no penalty (of course the car has to have less than the equivalent of 15,001 miles per year, no damage and be "spotless" inside (and never smoked in)). Also, it needs to be a car that is "popular" -- for the early out possibility. Popular color, options, etc.

The advantage to such programs is you never pay for service, never have a car that is out of warranty and with the possibility of buying one set of tires, gasoline, plates and insurance -- you have no $.$$ surprises of any kind.

I assume that there are reasons to go 39 months (slightly lower monthly payment) -- but I have found that this lease is too close to the edge of the warranty and too difficult to bail out of.

My wife and I have tried 12 months (it doesn't help because the first year depreciation is huge), 24 months (pretty nice deal for a TT), 27 months (which is difficult because it seems Audi can't bring out its new models at the same time every year so you may end up leasing a 2001 and 27 months later all you can get is a 2002), 30 months (which is like Goldilocks --"just right") or 36 months (which if you drive about 1,000 miles a month normally and take a few "road trips" per year will keep you in warranty, but you will almost certainly have to buy new tires one time). I never tried the 39 month lease because I couln't make the payment versus new tire issue work.

As we are near the end of the build year, I would assume the incentives are perhaps more MSRP based than anything else, in that the MSRP might be discounted somewhat more steeply, especially if the inventory of '02's is a bit fat. If the inventory is a bit lean, I would not expect any more than "normal" MSRP reductions -- from time to time the dealerships have been known to run out of cars, and as Audi of America has been apparently getting more of its customers to take whatever is available rather than special order, you may find discounts aren't as plentiful as you would like (or exactly the opposite).

My wife and I must be relics (in that we have "never" been able to find the exact car we want on the lot and we love the order and wait process (well not so much the wait)), we have already ordered our 2003's and we are anticipating delivery dates for her 2003 TT of October or November and for my 2003 allroad of late November through early January.

Anyway, ask for incentives -- the worst they can say is "no."
  • Options
    marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Mark,
    It looks like you cannot buy the TT w/ auto tranny. Did Audi change that for '03? I'm assuming your wife ordered w/manual transmission? I hope she will be getting the convertible, I sat in a coupe at the Audi dealer the other day, it felt very "confining" and was somewhat hard to get in and out of. I just can't believe Audi doesn't make a sunroof on that model!
  • Options
    There is -- so the preliminarty ordering guide claims an auto transmission available on the TT for the first time.

Although generally a live and let live kinda person, this makes my wife unhappy as she thinks the purity of the sports car is somehow undermined when attempts are made to add such conveniences as auto trans. While I do not agree with this, what bothers me is when the choice is removed -- like on my '01 4.2 A6 -- I would get another in a heartbeat if it had a manual tranny.

And no roadster for her -- she likes the room for groceries, books, dogs and golf clubs the coupe affords and is not too interested in a sunroof, which would probably take away headroom unless it was a pop up type.

She loves her TT -- this will be her third!

I hope to love the allroad -- already looking into new wheel/tires, exhaust system, chipping and beefier anti sway bars -- by the way I ordered it with the Full Paint Option! Burgundy Red Pearl with Ecru Cricket leather, and all options but the auto trans and the third rear seat!

I hope its fun -- my A6 4.2 has spoiled me in many ways!
  • Options
    Quite interesting that your wife likes the "coupe".I love the "look" of the car, and can understand the storage issue, the roof just seemed too "low" for my liking.
    I'm eager to order the '03 w/"tip" or hopefully the "CVT" and the ragtop model! I hope the ragtop can take the long,cold, Minnesota winter!
    My current 2nd drive is the '98 Toyota XLE w/50,000 miles. I have "negative equity" in the vehicle for about 15 more payments assuming I keep the miles low and the condition good. The trade-in or private sell at that time towards the '03 or '04 TT should let me "out" of the Toyota w/o shelling out any "extra." The reason I'm still making payments on a '98 car is because I leased it for 3 years and then bought the vehicle at the end of the lease. I was way over on miles and couldn't see paying $1500 just to give the vehicle back.Bought the vehicle w/ nothing down and $364.00/mo.Found it impossible (last summer) to find a better "2nd drive" for that monthly payment with absolutely nothing down!
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    That sounds like quite a car. Just curious about the '03's - how much for the full paint option? Is it still the 2.7T engine? How about other changes from the '02's? Will it have the full Nav, integrated sound system/digital phone?
  • Options
    Full paint option -- $1,600, On*star, $1,200, Sat Nav -- NO CHANGE (boo hiss), tire pressure monitoring, etc.

Any questions. . . .
  • Options
    Now I cannot speak for every Audi in the 03 lineup -- I have the preliminary specifications from AoA to the dealer on a couple of them.

Basically, for '03 -- the last year before the "big change" (excluding the A4 and possibly the TT), the lineup will be, relatively speaking, decontented. This is not new to Audi or even cars. For example, you used to buy a box of cereal and it said 16oz on the side of the box. Now, the box says 14.8oz, but has the declaration "Same low price!" on the box somewhere.

In 02 you ordered heated seats (and this is THE one example that really ticked me off, personally) and you got front and rear heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

For 03 you get front heated seats, and since there is no mention of a heated steering wheel, and the option line is very specific -- heated seats, front only. You can't have heated rear seats -- there is no option to buy them. Instead, in this and other subtle ways, the car has fewer features, options and functions and is the "Same low price!"

I have NO problem with any car company wanting to raise revenue and income -- but, and I am an endless loop on this -- I have a big problem having choices taken away from me. How much extra could rear heated seats cost? Why not offer heated front seats as an option and heated rear seats (with heated front seats) as an option? For an extra $50 add the heated steering wheel.

Why not allow the full sat nav option (at an extra cost) instead of sat nav lite (which, for the record, I do like very much -- but also I would opt to pay for Sat Nav Plus!)?

Also, the other A6 based cars now have bi-Xenon lites -- the allroad specifies low beam only.

Now, low beam Xenons are a MUST HAVE -- but I would like at least the option to buy them (bi-Xenons on the new car.

On the other hand, the regular Avant will now be available with the 2.7T (which carries over into the allroad for 03). The allroad still comes with manual (6spd) standard. This one feature alone made me decide to go for an allroad. If it turns out to be too SUV like, well I'll keep it until I can "get out of the lease with little or no penalty."

There is a picture of the full paint option over on www.audiworld.com.

There will be an auto trans for the TT -- I assume it is on the FWD models only, I do not know.

There is, currently, no S4 sedan -- but this is supposed to change in calendar year 2003.

Also the new A6 body will (so they say) come out next year as an 04.
  • Options
    tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    Ah yes, the magic "D" word. How often we've seen it crop up. It's a regular thing from Nippon, but I'm surprised that it's now a European practice as well. Particularly since the Germans nickel and dime you so heavily on the option packages anyway. I agree with you: why start gutting the packs?

You had a '99, Mark. That was/is a truly well-equipped car; mine has every option except the phone and warm weather pack. But that's the way 90% of them on the dealer lots around here (Seattle) were equipped anyway. I have heated seats front and rear, and a heated wheel that (egad!) works! Rear airbags. Auto-dimming mirrors,etc. What I don't have are some of the dynamic enhancements like ESP which didn't show up until '00, but in terms of amenities I certainly don't want for much. And I'm sure in your '99 you didn't either. Of course we both wanted more power,but I've learned to live with that. Rowing along with the Tip makes that a tad more palatable.

At any rate, I've already invested in the extended warranty and so I plan to keep her when the Audi Advantage goes away in August. She's a lovely car, and I never tire of getting into her to go anywhere. And she sure has a lot of toys!
  • Options
    jimcoll1jimcoll1 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the responses to my questions on my planned A6 3.0Q purchase. I dropped in the dealer tonight and had an observation. I was able to A-B test the standard sound system (although in an A4) against the Bose (in an A6). I found the standard system OK, acceptable but nothing more. The Bose had more power and filled the cabin with sound. But the high and lows seemed to be severely clipped and the midrange boosted excessively. The fine jazz recording I was listening to was indeed quite "muddied." I'm disappointed in the choices but believe that, of the two, the standard system best reproduces sound. It's a personal preference thing but I just wanted to put the comment out there.
  • Options
    dfwhalldfwhall Member Posts: 11
    Tubey, thanks for the input. Looked at Stonguard film on the web and contacted a dealer in Houston that installs. Price is stiff!! $404 for the kit and $202 to install. Don't know why I haven't heard more about this stuff since they have been in business since '92. I guess I have to break down the cost of this on a per day basis(!?!) to justify. Think long term its a no brainer as I will be doing lots of interstate driving. Since you have had it since '01 have you had any problems?? Does it take wax well? Has it shrunk any? Has the color changed? what Color is your car? What does it look like after taking an impact? Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Tell them you're an Audiworld forum member. Maybe that will get you somewhere. When I had mine done at the headquarters they gave me a discount because I was an Audiworld member and another because I was a customer of University Audi here in town who were sending them quite a bit of business.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your post before replying. My car is Jaspis Green. You don't put wax on it; my detailer is very familiar with the product and knows to avoid getting wax on it or around the edge. They also steer clear of it with the buffer.

The color has not changed one bit, and you can barely spot any impact points - if anything they look like a tiny little bubble; hardly noticeable.

It has not shrunk at all. In fact, I tend to forget I even have it but when looking at the car from certain angles and in certain light you'll see the lines. I'm particularly glad they install it on the door edges because I've let mine hit a wall a few times but the Stongard protected just like it's supposed to.

I first heard about the product on Audiworld.com. It was also very reassuring to know that their headquarters was nearby (like 10 miles from my office).
  • Options
    As the miles climb, the subtleties of my new '02 A6 4.2 are becoming more apparent.

Cabin ergonomics and build quality are generally suberb -- excellent fit and finish; beautiful detailing; supportive, comforable, and infinitely-adjustable seats; low road and wind noise. Although the dashboard cupholder will not hold a 20-oz soda bottle, I finally figured out a way to force one into the center console cupholder (although it does splash occasionally). And Audi should rethink the parking brake handle location. It's awkward to release with the armrest down.

Handling is tight and predictable -- but the weight does show. Even with the sport suspension, the car leans a bit more in the twisties than my recent Jaguar S-Type with sport suspension. And Audi could still improve the weight distribution. Why not start with simple steps, like moving the battery to the trunk?

Only one item so far needing dealer attention: when I back out of a parking space and then engage forward gear, there is a slight thunking somewhere under the car as I move forward. It sounds almost as if a rotor had bound to a pad and was popping loose. I cannot feel anything in the steering or drivetrain, and the noise only occurs in this situation . . . but it occurs invariably. Anyone else had this experience?

The audio system . . . it's a Bose, and it sucks. But a lot has already been said on that topic in this forum. I knew what to expect when I bought the car. Audi marketeers just ought to spend a few days with a Lexus Mark Levinson system or even Jaquar's premium audi option (priced about the same as Audi's). The contrasts in tonal balance, soundstage, and clarity would pin their ears back.

The On*Star Telematics package . . . the new phone is tiny and feature-laden. The whole set-up is also very expensive (over $1600 counting Telematics option, phone, mounting bracket, and labor). The voice activation is convenient but not as sophistacted as I would have thought. My 2000 Jaguar S-Type had a voice activation system that managed not only the phone, but the audio and climate control systems as well. It very seldom mistook a voice command, even though you could speak a telephone number straight through. When inputting a number to the Audi system, it requires you to speak each digit separately, waiting for a confirmation beep after each digit -- much more time consuming than the Jaguar. And when I use nametags to dial, the Audi system frequently mistakes the input. (For instance, it gets "information" confused with "Larry Caruso" almost every time . . . and my accent is not that odd.) And one last problem -- if the voice activation misinterprets my speech and I break the connection to start over, sometimes the phone will not make a new connection until I remove the phone from its cradle and re-insert it. That's not a safe thing to do while driving. Had I not had the Jaguar system before, I'd still think the Audi Telematics system was "way cool." Having had a better (and cheaper) one in a three-year old car, I'd grade the Audi system about a C+.

Looks . . . now, that's subjective. But with the flared fenders, the fat tires, the exposed twin tail pipes, and the SSR Competition wheels (aftermarket upgrades), this is one very nice-looking automobile, IMHO.

Overall . . . I LOVE THIS CAR. Every car I've had had strengths and weaknesses, and this one is no exception. But, so far, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses by the widest margin I've yet experienced. And I haven't even driven it in the snow yet.
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Mark, click on this URL and read about next year's model, with pictures. The car looks great. Enjoy

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/rs6detail/
  • Options
    In response to Mpyles1 report on the 4.2 A6, I'm curious why you picked the 4.2 over the 2.7T. I've never driven the 4.2, but the $5000 TO $7000 price dif does seem stiff compared to the 2.7T. Thanks-Max.
  • Options
    This is my company car, so price was not my first consideration. The 4.2 has quite a few more standard features than the 2.7T. While you can get most of them on the turbo model as options, that quickly evaporates the price gap. I've always had a bias (perhaps deriving from my irrational southern upbringing) for V-8's. Also, the flared fenders on the 4.2 make the car look more aggressive. Actually, I've had two turbo cars (a Mazda 626 Turbo Coupe and an RX-7), and they both performed very well in terms of speed and reliability -- although you did have to let the cars sit for 30 seconds after a hard run before turning them off. While they had noticeable turbo lag, I understand Audi's use of two smaller turbos minimizes that problem. Finally, I must admit the fact that the 2.7T is marginally quicker than the 4.2 and a bit lighter almost swayed me to the 2.7T. In the final analysis . . . it was probably the fenders that did it. Dumb, huh?
  • Options
    nairb2nairb2 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody know a good, non-dealer, Audi mechanic in the Boston area?
  • Options
    jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    could a6, 3.0 be leased for 500/mo tax included, zero cap cost,39 months and 15k mikes /yr, any help would be appreciated thanks
  • Options
    mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I think the fenders are a good reason to get the 4.2. They make the car.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Exactly! The car just "sits" so right on the road. The A6 4.2 is hands-down my favorite car in this class, right now. A Ming Blue/Vanilla A6 4.2 is just too gorgeous! I can only imagine what the RS6 is going to be like....Audi need not worry about replacing the current A6 until 2005 at least.

M
  • Options
    Yes, perhaps I will regret not trying to get on the list for an RS6 -- but I have made so much noise about not having a manual shift car I decided to go for an allroad with a 6spd manual and literally all options except the third rear seat.

My "grand plan" is to replace the exhaust system (from Joe Hoppen Motorsports), the wheels and tires (plus one to 18" x 245 x 45) and a stage one APR chip (306HP and similar torque), beefy anti sway bars, and a K&N airfilter. I will then have a combination SUV and avant to play with for a couple of years whilst I await with baited breath the new S4, which will hopefully have either the marvelous (so I am told) 6spd tiptronic or a manual transmission.

The RS6 only comes with an automatic -- as does the S6 avant. I just turned 51 last week and I am bored with my 2001 4.2 automatic transmission car. Before you tell me I am out of my mind, I do love my 4.2 A6 (it is my second one). I had in the following order some Audi's that I really love -- '95 S6 (manual) '97 A8 (5spd non tip) '99 A6 2.8 (tip) 2000 A6 4.2 (tip) and 2001 A6 4.2 with sport package (tip) -- I am ready to return to the feeling I remember when I drove that 1995 S6!

And, the allroad will be $50K and the RS6 will be $70K. This gets my attention, too.
  • Options
    Now I will have to go to the local Audi dealer and test drive the 4.2 A6. I have 2 years of driving the 2.7T w "tip" under my belt and it will be quite interesting to see what 50 more ponies and 2 more cylinders will do!
    I think myples1 's issue with the "flared fenders" is a valid one. It does make the car "stand out" from the "pack." Sometimes the smallest issue can derail/make the deal! I was ready to buy (2years ago) the Chrysler 300 sedan when I noticed my left foot would not stay "flush" w/the floor. The floor has a "tilt" to it(on the driver's side) and my left foot was sitting at an uncomfortable angle as I drove the vehicle!
  • Options
    For sheer 0-100kph times, the 2.7T still betters the 4.2. The 4.2 however feels much more solid, of a piece, muscular, etc. etc. The 4.2 with its aggressive fenders, 255 wide tires and sport seats and sport suspension -- well it just plain "hunkers" down and hugs the road. I have now since the weekend just under 27K miles on mine -- and in spite of my grousing about the transmission (auto, nothing wrong with it) and my earlier problems with brake rotors (99% resolved and Audi and my dealer were great) -- this car is, um, er -- like I imagine the Batmobile must be.

So, while I grant the 2.7T (especially with manual transmission) is just about the fastest Audi in the kingdom (TODAY), the 4.2 feels "just right."

I have liked both of my 4.2 A6's better than my A8 -- and after I put the full S8 suspension and tire treatment on my A8, I loved that car too (footnote, I really prefer manual transmissions, but obviously it has not prevented me from buying 4 auto trans Audi's). The A6 4.2 with sport package is terrific -- and while the radio/stereo does get knocked here a lot, I actually don't have too much to complain about there. But, when I hear my friends systems, I know that the Audi Bose system should be the standard system and that a "real" stereo should be on the option list.

Tim really likes his 2.7T, and my soon to be allroad will have a 2.7T engine -- in fact if one could have an A6 4.2 with a 6spd manual and the 2.7T engine, I bet the balance and performance aspect would make this the "more desirable" performer.

But, then I hasten to add, there is no sound as sweet as the 4.2 under full throttle through the first three gears on a wide open freeway! Whoooosshhhhh! (bosso profundo!)

Hopefully the 4.2 has not "ruined" me for the 2.7T engine.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Mark,
    You mentioned the "special order" Allroad you are buying and planning to "chip" the 2.7T engine. I mentioned "chipping" to the Audi service advisor and he told me all warranties are off on the engine if this is done. Audi won't cover a single engine problem w/chip.
    This doesn't discourage me from chipping my 2.7T A6(I bought instead of leased), but should I wait one more year when the warranty is expired anyway? Thanks-Max
  • Options
    mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Happy belated birthday. I promised myself the latest E-Class when I turn 50 (in four years).
  • Options
    bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I lease a 2002 A6 3.0 CVT. I leased it on March 23rd and I could have leased one with the Preferred Package (leather,sunroof) for $470/month plus tax (which is $499/month inclusive) with 15,000 miles/annually and coming out of pocket total at start of $1,000 including first month, tax, tag,etc...(whatever else they wanted to attribute it to). I, however, opted for the Convenience Package and the Premium Package, got a Brilliant Black with Black interior. I love this car so far...only 2,200 miles so far. The cabin is so well laid out and very luxurious. I was looking at a new Lexus ES300...HA...it's nice looking inside, ugly outside, and basically, for a few grand less, get the loaded Camry.
    I don't know what state you are in but I am in Florida in Fort Lauderdale. Prestige Imports will give you a good price on the car but then go somewhere else to buy or lease it. I was going to lease it at Prestige but the idiot salesman never called me back after going to the dealership and several times drooling over the cars. So, went up to Champion and they did the deal there (in Pompano). Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I noticed the noise too. My dealer told me it is the Antilock brakes engaging. Not sure if that is correct but I know the exact noise that you are speaking about. I is a kind of thunk with a slight ticking or "clicking" noise for less than a second. If you have it and I have it, it must not be anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, bondguy1. Since the noise never occurs under any other conditions and you are having the same noise, I'm going to let it pass for now.

I was a little concerned since the noise sounds exactly like a noise my '98 Corvette developed. However, that noise occurred going over bumps. It turned out that a locking nut had backed off the front left tie rod, and the rod was about to let go . . . just one of the many, many problems I had with that piece of junk.
  • Options
    My wife and I always "special order" our Audi's -- perhaps in the future, we will not need to, but thus far we have not been able to pinpoint the combination of colors and options and since we generally lease for 24 - 36 months and often "early out" -- we have found ordering a "fun" activity in a "delayed" gratification sort of way (Anticipation, being the fun).

The special order is because there is no mention anywhere of "full paint option" even being available on allroads (here in North America). I got the color chart for the '03's and found a dark red pearl (with Ecru leather interior) was available (I tried for pearl white -- not available). I asked my dealer if I could have the car "fully painted" -- I saw it on the AudiWorld web site. The answer was "yes" but only in these 10 colors (red pearl was on the list). The price that I will be charged keeps changing, but it is around $1,500 (MSRP).

As far as the chipping goes, I am somewhat worried about this due to all the "noise" here on the town hall pertaining to warranty, etc.

I have contacted Joe Hoppen and asked what the effect is of just replacing the exhaust system. And, I have reviewed and read articles on chipping. APR apparently has a chip that you can have two programs, factory normal and Stage one. It is completely encrypted and is therefore invisible to the diagnostic computer.

But, before I lead you to believe I am going down the "Covert" road, let me tell you that my wife had an MTM chip and a K&N air filter installed in her 2000 TT 180hp coupe -- BY THE AUDI DEALER. I figured, "go overt" -- I also had the dealer completely remove the entire suspension on my A8 and replace it with the S8 suspension ( which came in Audi boxes -- in German ) I bought from Joe Hoppen motorsports.

Now, therefore, however, nothwithstanding -- I certainly do not want to "get sideways" with AoA or my dealer, and for all I know, things may have changed with respect to the policy and/or attitude pertaining to "aftermarket" stuff. But, recently in response to my issues with my 2001 A6 4.2's shuddering brakes, the local Audi dealer bought (with Audi's money) two cross drilled aftermarket front rotors from a Canadian company -- they installed them, too.

Perhaps there were some abuse issues with respect to chipping -- blown engines or something, I don't know.

Now this goes back a bit, but in 1998 a member of the quattro club I belong to put a SUPERCHARGER on his 2.8 A4 -- the warranty on his car, apparently, still was honored (but whenever something went bump, he did mention that the dealer wanted to make certain that what needed fixing could not be linked to the supercharger -- his AC went out, for example, and it was fixed free under the Audi warranty -- no connnection with the supercharger, i.e.)

Since the allroad with a stick shift is rated at 0-100kph in 6.8 seconds and my current A6 4.2 with tip is 6.7 seconds, it will hardly be much of a sacrifice,( if I have to go chipless). I will, then (if "forced to go chipless"), go for larger wheels and tires and the exhaust system and motor off quite happily I presume.
  • Options
    Mark, if your dealer put a chip in your wife's TT, why wouldn't they do the same for an allroad? Presuming they would, then I would just be upfront and have them do it. I have my doubts about APR's chip being "invisable" if there should be a major engine problem, and what would happen in the event of a major breakdown (as opposed to the dealer not detecting it during routine service) is really all that matters anyway. I would think your chances of getting an engine problem fixed would be better if the dealer willingly put the chip in themselves, unless they make you sign a waiver form or something, etc.
  • Options
    feisty2feisty2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced the 205/55-16 tires for a 2000 A6 Avant with size 225/50-16? From checking with TireRack they are almost exactly the same size except for the width which is about 1/2 in. greater. Any info would be helpful.
  • Options
    The 2000 TT was chipped in 2000 -- things change in 2 years, hence my concerns that the "noise" here on edmunds about voiding the warranty etc. may indicate such a change -- putting chipping out of favor -- may have happened. I am 5+ months away from such decisions at least -- all the chippers I know have had good things to say about "stage one" chips -- and that is my interest level. I am not looking for an engine transplant, just a bit more boost, which apparently these chips do very well on the 2.7T engine.

I have read many reports that those with the 2.7 engine with manual transmissions are quite pleased with the factory set up too! Autoweek was less than 100% complimentary of the 2.7T when coupled with the tiptronic -- saying there was "noticable" turbo lag.

The only 2.7T's I have driven for any distance were both manual transmissions (an S4 and an A6) -- they were GREAT!

Joel, I agree with and appreciate the comments!
  • Options
    I have found at least one dealer, who works with Joe Hoppen, FYI -- Fred Baker Audi, Bedford, Ohio. I anticipate no issues -- what are the concerns about the warranty that I read from time to time?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I recommend Veloce Imports in Hudson, NH. We've been doing business there for several years and have been very happy. (603)883-9566.
  • Options
    wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    My wife's 2002 A-6Q 3.0 has had a sqeaky center storage area / arm rest (between the seats) for a while. It used to sqeak when an arm was on it. She pointed this out on a service visit, and they did something to fix it (I wasn't there and am not sure what they did). It didn't sqeak for a while, but within a week or so was sqeaking worse than ever, including now when no arm is on it. We're bringing it back in, but any comments or experience concerning this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    This afternoon my Mom is going to pick me up at the Tarrytown train station in Westchester County, NY and we're going to take a short road trip to Salem, NH for my cousin's HS graduation. I know what you're all thinking...how does this affect me? Well, it doesn't. It will be relavent to the board as we're taking my Mom's car, an '02 A6 3.0Q. My parents took delivery of the car at the end of march and I really haven't had a chance to drive it much. I'm excited to see how it handles the open road. It's German, so very well I'll bet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    I can tell you this. Be careful, you could be doing 100+ before you know it. 8) The tiptronic on a twisty mountain road is fun, although no subsitute for a real manual transmission. Have fun and drive safely.
  • Options
    dfwhalldfwhall Member Posts: 11
    Feisty - Have an '02 A6 3.0 CVT (I know, "why didnt you get a QUATTRO?!?!). I am going to put Michelin XGT-H4 tires on it next week in 225-50/16 size. Tire store stated that they have done this on 2.8 A6's and does not anticipate a problem. Will let you know how it goes.
    NYCcar guy -dtwleungnyc (what kind of a name IS this?) is absolutely correct, you will find yourself going 100mph and thinking it feels like 70! The A6 has been extremely smooth, quiet and stable. The 3.0 motor has been a dream once it winds up a little. I have seen 33MPG on a tank of gas @ 75-80MPH w/cruise and air on. Let us know what you think when you get back.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Anyone heard or seen any info on '03 A6's getting a "regular" navigation system with normal screen in center console? Looking at another site it appeared that RS6 was a normal screen for nav instead of inside gauge display.
  • Options
    dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    Well, my sign on name is a combination of my first name, middle inital, last name and city I live in. 8)
  • Options
    audimikeaudimike Member Posts: 4
    I am on my second a6-4.2 after Audi had to buy back the first one. Both were 2001's. Both have suffered from severe throttle ECM problems that Audi is telling me only occur with the 4.2 drivetrain. At speeds below 20-25mph the engine will dump all power when you hit the gas pedal, just when you need it. Audi bought back the first one without any hassle but has been absolutely biligerent about the second one to the point where i have had to hire a litigator to even get them to talk to me. The dealer and the regional Audi service mgr have both acknowledged that there is a severe problem with this drivetrain (in both the A6 and A8) but they don't have any fix for it. DO NOT BUY ANY 2000 OR 2001 A6 OR A8 with the 4.2 drivetrain. The car is absolutely beatiful but is absolutely deadly. Newport Imports in Newport Beach CA has told me they have at least 5 cars with the 4.2 engine experiencing this same problem. Audi is not responding to this very dangerous situation and has shown no regard for the safety of the current ownners of these cars or potential innocent bystanders. This is my 8th Audi and in spite of being an extremely loyal Audi customer they have literally dumped me in the trash. Please contact me if you or anyone else you know has a car with this problem.
  • Options
    Just curious, do any of the 2002 4.2's also exhibit this behavior? If not, what did Audi do to eliminate the problem, and can't they retrofit the fix to earlier models?
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    Wonder, is the acceleration problem a California emissions issue? This is the first I've heard of this problem but I'm on the east coast....