Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• donald38donald38 Member Posts: 2
    Frank the V6 is a great engine,my 96 Safari has 150k and runs good. However a fullsize conversion is a lot of weight for the V6. Trade in with a V6 would also be affected. {THIS IS JUST MY OPINION } Good Luck
  • quacknitquacknit Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if you have a tow/haul button? did you find out what was causing the problem yet?
  • streamlined22streamlined22 Member Posts: 2
    The Savana has been a rock solid asset for our family. Also, the layout of the controls and seating is superior to the Ford/Dodge counterparts.
    *** Question *** I bought an 8 passenger 2001 Savana SLE. Anyone know if it's possible to add a rear 4 passenger seat? Has anyone done this after purchasing their van?
  • awmcleodawmcleod Member Posts: 1
    The blower control on my van does not have a low speed. Is this control a stand alone item or is it a componet of a larger part. Can I as a DIY able to replace that control?
    AWMcl
  • jamz66jamz66 Member Posts: 2
    I own a '04 Express 1500 AWD that was only able to have 8 pass seating but HUGE amount of cargo room. After calling and searching I found a E-tailer from CA (Discount Van and Truck) that has OEM seats. I ordered the 4 pass seat for the back of my Express, now it's a twelve passenger. They ship out the seats and the brackets to bold it to the floor. These are "Take-out" seats. Seats from vehicles in accidents or upgraded to custom seats. Mine came in A/1 shape. One recommendation, get the OEM seatbelts. The aftermarket belt they carry are CRAP! Here's were to go.

http://discountvantruck.com/van/vanseat.htm
  • jamz66jamz66 Member Posts: 2
    From my understanding concerning the AWD system in the '04 Express 1500, it's a "Tried and True" system. It's been around and perfected and works NEAR perfectly. I have the AWD Express and used it last winter in the snow. We had roughly 20 snow storms this past year and I only got stuck once (because I wanted to see if I could go through the DEEP stuff). Only needed a few hand fulls of salt and I was back in the saddle. HIGHLY Recomend the AWD Express.
  • thong24kthong24k Member Posts: 23
    I just bought Chevy Express'98 1500 V6. Does anyone know how it perform in the winter time?
  • jkellyjkelly Member Posts: 1
    I just printed out the Edmunds pricing on a 2005 GMC Savana passenger van. My sources tell me that GMC will not offer this van in 2005. Also the GMC web sight only shows the 1500 and 3500. Will the real truth please stand up. Thanks to all. jkelly
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone go full size for the holidays?

Steve, Host
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Hi, all!

Could you please answer the following questions, as I can't find the answers anywhere:

1. Express vans with AWD: is it a full-time AWD? If yes, is the torque split 50/50 between front and rear or at what percentage? If AWD is not full-time, how does it work?

2. Is the locking differential activated manually by a button on the dash, or does it engage automatically? If automatically, in what conditions? Is it located on the front axle, rear axle, or in the middle?

Thank you!
    Per chevrolet.com, in an AWD Express, the power is split 35/65 front/rear, and more power could go to the front wheels, if they are slipping. But does anyone know the max power which can go to the front wheels? Is 65% the most the rear wheels can get?

And I still found no info on the locking differential.

It looks like Chevy made a top secret out of this!
    The 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion may offer some more clues, but you're doing pretty good digging on your own!

Steve, Host
    I don't know why GM makes such a big secret out of it, but there isn't much explanation of AWD and Locking Diff on GM's Express website
  • jcpjcp Member Posts: 2
    Need some help! Van will not start, if I spray some starting fluid (know this is bad) in the air cleaner assembly it will run until it burns it off. Fuel pump, filters and relay is in working condition. Could it be the MAF sensor? Where do I attach a scanner to this vehicle at?
  • jcpjcp Member Posts: 2
    cannot even get a scanner to read! Scanner works but when I plug into the diagnostic port I get nothing, no power to the scanner!! What gives?
    Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion too. Hopefully a regular is hanging out in there.

Steve, Host
    "GMC's Savana full-size, rear- or four-wheel-drive van is the subject of two recalls, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced. The GMC van and its Chevy Express counterpart are being recalled first for a problem with a hydraulic fluid pump under the hood. If it fails and the hood is open, fragments could hurt people standing nearby; when driving, it could affect power braking and steering. Some 155,000 vehicles, including 2004-2005 Savanas and Expresses, are included in that recall. In the second action, the Savana from the 2000 model year also suffers a faulty hydraulic pump that could reduce steering and braking effectiveness. About 98,000 vehicles including those vans are being recalled to replace the pump."

(Edmunds Vans Newsletter)

Steve, Host
  • bodhidogbodhidog Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying AWD van and would like to actually talk to someone who owns one and drives it in snow and ice????
  • sculpturalhighsculpturalhigh Member Posts: 1
    I just had the fuel pump replaced on my chevy express 1500 v6 4.3L. Ive been using this mechanic for over 8 years and always found him to be fair and honest but im concerned about being charged almost $700 to replace the fuel pump and filter. He quoted the price of the part as $461 fuel filter $25 and computer check reset for $32 plus labor of $130. I found the pump online at several sites for maximum $274. I would like to know if I was overcharged.
  • obornyoborny Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '04 2500 Express with 21K miles. The auto transmission makes a loud humming noise when it is in first gear and when in reverse. The noise goes away when the van shifts into second. The noise does not bother me but drives the wife crazy. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how many miles do you have? What's been your transmission reliability? Was anything done to alleviate the noise?
  • dallen17dallen17 Member Posts: 1
    does the noise stop after the van is at normal operating temp?
  • dkeeldkeel Member Posts: 2
    From Anchorage Alaska;
    I have the full time AWD 2003 Chevy Express. It is great in the snow. I have some good snow tires and can drive circles around anything else on the road.

235/75-16 is the perfect size snow tire for the weight of this vehicle. Go any wider and run the risk of floating over the snow.
  • dkeeldkeel Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2003 1500 series 8 passenger Express.

Due to law suits in this country, many Conversion Van companies told me no to your question. The problem is the weight. Adding another rear bench would provide 12 passengers seating for a eight passenger van. Hauling 12 people could easy exceed the weight rating for 1500 series van. Add a couple of suit case or tongue weight for a trailer and your definitely over the weight rating.

If your van is 2500 series, then call a van conversion company.
  • mantangomantango Member Posts: 2
    sorry about your situation but i need some help with a weight towing discrepency with a 1997 conversion low top w/ a 5.7l vortec and auto tranny mine has 3:42 rear gears and my book says only can tow 5400#s but a 2005 model with same gears and a 5.3liter vortec can tow 6300#s can some one please advise
  • aripplewoodaripplewood Member Posts: 1
    Were there any any helpful replys to your intermittent start problem. I don't need

a rain storm to duplicate your problem. replace new battery, have had dearler

diagnostics run with no help. My wallet is getting thinner and patience about

to brake the bank. Please help!

A Ripplewood
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might also want to check with some of our members who have technical expertise in our "No Start" Problems discussion. They might have some ideas that haven't been explored by your dealer yet.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• johnnymacjohnnymac Member Posts: 1
    Enjoy the forum. Good comments. I have a 2001 Savana 5.7L 3.73 axle ratio and we are looking at buying a trailer (30' GVWR 7500lbs). Previous owner of trailer pulled it with "a 3/4 ton Dodge no problem". Don't have a trailer package yet. Is the trailer too big? :confuse:
  • jimbob2093jimbob2093 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 1ton express. When the accelerator is fully depressed the trans shifts down and the rpms come up but no accelortaion. When you let up the pedal to about 1/3 down the trans shifts up and being to accelerate. It seems there are alot of smart people in here. Any help would be appreciated.
  • fordfan4fordfan4 Member Posts: 2
    i rather ford by far GM sucks to much touble with their junk i cant stand them anymore i know to many people who have them and hate them also
  • mathertoddmathertodd Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in the same thing-----I want to hook up my XM!
    Did you get an answer yet?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Fordfan4, this is the Chevy Express/GMC Savana discussion. You'll probably have better luck finding people who want to discuss "GM vs Ford" in the News & Views forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• liverpoolliverpool Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 savana 3500 after it has been run for a while and gets hot when i switch it off it will not start up afain till i have left it sitting for about 15 to 20 minutes. i took it to a dealership who fixed it for about 1000 dollars however i still have the same problem. i cannot believe that mine is the only van with this problem and i really do not want to pay out another chunk of money so these people can "diagnose" my problem please help
  • jrtozerjrtozer Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have experience with the Express or Savana AWD offroad? I'm interested in how it performs on rougher dirt roads and sandy washes. Is it as capable as a stock full-size SUV for this sort of thing? Would bigger tires and/or a short lift help?

Thanks,
    -JR
    liverpool, you might also want to post your question in the Maintenance & Repair Forum

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• red64red64 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Chevy Express / 3500 / Cargo Van. I use it primarily for hauling work related equipment. I would like to have the ability to occasionally, leagaly, install one rear bench seat and seat belts for hauling kids and family. Has anyone out there heard of such a kit that can be installed so that a passenger bench seat can be installed or removed in the Chevy Express Cargo Vans?
  • savannamansavannaman Member Posts: 1
    Hmm I have a 97 5.7 vortec that screams...don't know what yours problem is and it also has 223,000 miles on it
  • califcampercalifcamper Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a new motor for my 99 express 3500 5.7L and I was wondering if anyone out there has ever replaced the motor themselves. I have alot of experience fixing cars but never replaced motor. I figure its gonna be a [non-permissible content removed] but would really like to do it myself for experience. Any help would be appreciated thanks
  • stackstack Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Express A/C blows warm air when parked and idling or stopped in traffic and the outside temp is above 90 or so. Gets cold again once vehicle is moving. Any other owners have the same issue? It has done it since I bought it new. I know there is a TSB on this subject for the GM pickups with the same 6.0L engine, but I see nothing about the Express or Savana. TSB calls for installing an auxiliary electric fan on the condenser.
  • flybabyflybaby Member Posts: 4
    hi there, I am new to this site, i have a 97 savana van that also just stops without any warning !!! sometimes i can be doing 10mph sometimes 50mph !!! can anyone please help as i am going crazy trying to sort out this problem
  • ddanqueddanque Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, this is sort of a technical pre-sale question that the dealerships here in Southern California, don't seem to have an answer. I can purchase a 15 seater, but would really want a 12 seater, but all of the dealers with 12 seater don't have the other options, that the 15 seater carry. So can I remove one of the 3 seater, and move the 4 seater bench seater to the next to the last position?

In addition, which do you prefer, the hinged or sliding door.

Thanks

Denny
  • pcampionpcampion Member Posts: 1
    Got the coolant and the hose, now I need to find where to plug in... I can see the high point connection. Where is the low point?
  • unixnerdunixnerd Member Posts: 1
    Was there ever a resolution to this? My 02 Yukon is doing the EXACT same thing. I can't find resolution in the boards.

Thanks.
  • stackstack Member Posts: 3
    Excerpt from TSB below, mentions 02 Yukon. You should be able to go to the dealer and have them pull up the TSB #01-01-39-004, also try www.alldatadiy.com

A/C Not Cold Enough, A/C Blows Warm Air with Vehicle at Extended Idle (Install Auxialiary Electric Coolant Fan) #01-01-39-004
    A/C Not Cold Enough, A/C Blows Warm Air with Vehicle at Extended Idle (Install Auxiliary Electric Coolant Fan)
    2000-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility Models (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL)

2002 Cadillac Escalade

With 6.0L Engine (VINs U, N -- RPOs LQ4, LQ9)

Condition
    Some customers may comment that the A/C stops cooling and blows warm air when the vehicle is idling for an extended period of time such as sitting in traffic.

Cause
    Inadequate airflow over the condenser may cause this condition.

Correction
    The addition of an auxiliary fan in front of the condenser radiator assembly may help to alleviate this condition. The coolant fan will come on each time the A/C compressor is commanded on by the PCM. This fan will create a roaring sound when operating.
  • neonneon Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Express with 96000 miles, I replaced spurk plugs, cables, rotor, rotor cap, fuel filter, oil, oil filter. Water pump not long ago. The van was giving me problem to start, I thouthg I fixed the problem after replacing all of the above, but the van didn't start. someone told me it was the fuel pump, I purchase a pump from the dealer ($460) and the van starts but it jerks a little, when in idle, the engine doesn't run smooth. the ride is ok, but not like before, especially when going up hill. The problem can be notice also when going in reverse. After spending a lot of money, and time, I'm not please with the results. Dealer couldn't find the problem either. please help me.
  • sherrodmansherrodman Member Posts: 1
    MY 1997 CHEVY VAN 5.7 VORTEC G10 HAS HAD AN ERRATIC FUEL GAUGE SINCE DAY ONE. I HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL SENDING UNIT, FUEL PUMP AND INST CLUSTER WITH NO LUCK. MECHANIC HAD TO MANUALLY ADD/CHANGE RESISTANCE OF FEED WIRE TO GAUGE, BUT DID NOT OR COULD NOT CALIBRATE CORRECTLY. THE GAUGE READS FULL WHEN FULL BUT READS ALMOST 1/4 TANK WHEN RUNS EMPTY. CAN I ALSO MANUALLY PUT A VARIABLE POT-METER TO GET A PRECISE RESISTANCE TO SEE IF GAUGE CALIBRATES WITH THE NEW RESISITANCE ADDED OR SHOULD I CONTINUE TO GO TO BED WITH MY ODOMETER READINGS AND HOPE I DON'T DREAM THEM AWAY? THANKS. PS-I CAN'T FIND IF MY VAN IS RWLD OR 4WLD--HELP?
  • flybabyflybaby Member Posts: 4
    hi there, I have had kind of the same problem, i checked the PCP valve on the top of the rocker cover this was sticking so i replaced it ! you can tell if its sticking as it doesnt rattle, it should ! then it runs smooth again. hope it helps
    Welcome to the Forums, sherrodman! You might also want to post your question in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion. By the way, it's a good idea to take your caps lock button off -- when you type in all caps, readers might think you're shouting at them :-)

• judge5judge5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a 1997 2500 12 passenger Express van. Technically it is the same as the 2000. I tried every possible shock brand out there and believe it or not the best results I got were from KYB shocks, the series is GAS A JUST. I was very skeptical about using Japanese shocks on my van, but once I tried them, believe me I was amazed at the smooth ride and stability. I tried, Monroe Gas Magnum and the ride was back braking, too hard. I tried Gabriels and too soft. I even went with the very expensive Rancho RS9000X and they were either too soft or too hard, could not find a comfortable setting out of 9 they have. Finally a friend told me that his montero improved ride and stability with these KBY Gas A Just shocks, so I decided to spend an other $ 150.00 for the set and these were the best $150.00 I put into my van.

For even more stability, if needed, I changed the rims on my van for a set of 2003 Dodge Ram 8lug mag wheels, which by the way look awesome, can send you pics if you want. I got the wheels from ebay, when they arrived, I put one on in the front driver's side and found that the wheels were too wide on the inside so the steering arm was touching the wheel and could not use these rims, I liked the rims so much that I decided to buy a set of spacers to be able to install them. I got a set of 2" spacers, but 1" would have been enough to space the wheels. Now the Van looks great and I have even more stability when cornering.

Hope I have been helpful. Take care, Judge5
  • boda2boda2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2005 Chevy Express passenger van. How do you remove the arm rests from the front seats? I'd like to install seat covers.