Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• dah3dah3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2006 Express 2500HD Duramax. What kind of fuel milege are you getting? Its been a month since your message on Nov 12, 2005, are there any new opinions about the duramax and the transmission that they are currently using?
  • garfield3garfield3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems geting my 5.7 engin to start. I have fire. I have fuel pressure. cap and roter are new. there is 120 psi. compression. it ran one day, now it will not start again. can anyone help me? :sick:
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I'm considering a 2006 Express 2500HD Duramax. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

We've logged fuel use for 4K miles on a 4800 (gas). Range is 15-17. Dunno about diesel.
  • allboatsallboats Member Posts: 2
    Mine did this too, and I fixed it. Email me if you still need help.
  • jimsimmjimsimm Member Posts: 1
    How did you fix it? I have a 97 Chevy Express and the brake lights don't work when I have the headlights on. I also have a trailer wiring harness attached and someone told me this might have something to do with it. Any suggestions?
  • exnerexner Member Posts: 2
    It's probably your bulb sockets. See my earlier post. Thats what fixed mine!
  • dsmnfdsmnf Member Posts: 2
    Do tell more about these ceramic pads....I have a 2000 Savana full size conversion van and, at 66K miles, have had to replace the front brakes every 20K miles (which isn't too bad), and am on my second set of rotors. My mechanic is using, I believe, metalic brake pads and I am looking for something else that may get me longer life out of my pads and rotors.
  • avasteravaster Member Posts: 20
    Im wanting to buy a expess van and would like to know how AWD works. If only one wheel pulls at a time or two or all wheels. Also how a locking diff. works. I wish they would make a true 4X4 van. Conversions are spendy. Im wanting a van that I can go down the beach at South Padre Island without getting stuck in the sand...Help...Thanks
  • allimagez69allimagez69 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 02 gmc savana 1 ton. My question is on the rear brakes with the drums and single rear wheel do I have to remove the axles to get the drum off of the van. Or is it like any other vehicle, they just kind of slip off. so any insight would be great. Thanks
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Does anyone know if cylinder deactivation technology is/will be used in Chevy Express vans with V8?

Thank you!
  • bhewbhew Member Posts: 2
    hi did you ever figure out what the problem was i have a similar thing happenoing though without the loss of power
  • ciberpineciberpine Member Posts: 3
    I had this exact problem. Both lower tail light sock (R&L) had slight corrosion that caused the ground to no longer make contact. I replaced both sockets and it all works now. I replaced the sockets by buying a tail light wiring harness from a GM dealer and using the two sockets on the wiring harness, one for each side. I just clipped the wires, attached the new sockets, taped it all back up, and was done. To replace the complete wiring harness requires taking inside panels off, etc. Too much work. Just replacing the lower tail light sockets is all that was necessary and splicing them into the existin wiring harness worked fine. A wiring harnes cost around $70 from the dealer, so save yourself &70 and just buy one of them.

It looks like the GMC vans must have a problem with water getting into the lower socket since there a number of people posting with the same problem.
  • jshoes51jshoes51 Member Posts: 4
    This is a g30 1 ton the last year before they came out with the Express vans. Does anyone know the rear end gears they used in these? All the writing is worn off the glove bax label, so I jacked up the rear end and spun the tire and watched the drive shaft. Drive shaft only goes around 1.75 per full revolution of the tire. No wonder its so doggy when pulling my boat.
  • onofre02onofre02 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having the same problem with the trailer brake controler wiring. I located all the wires for the rear of the van but only found the wires hanging in the engine compartment, which after doing a continuity check looks like they're just there running from front to rear. Can anybody please help?
  • jimdianejimdiane Member Posts: 1
    The air in our 96 express works great in the back, but not very well in the front. The van had just been driven in very dusty conditions to the Yukon. Someone mentioned to me that there is a filter(actually 2) beside the evaporator unit behind the blower, could be clogged? Would that actually affect the temp. output? the amount of air movement seems to be okay. Any comments or suggestions?
    thanx

jim
    CANADA :confuse:
  • jimbob2093jimbob2093 Member Posts: 4
    i am replying to my own thread. the problem was the fuel filter . jiffy lube supposedly changed it at 60,000 but i doubt it. the problem showed up at about 89,000.
  • deecar2deecar2 Member Posts: 3
    hello funny you say that because my wife hates that buzzer to if you put the key in the ignition switch,like you are going to start her theres a fuse box right under the steering wheel right where the steering wheel is at the bottom under dash board you will hear that buzzer it is mounted on the steering column its going to be a black box you can unplug it and doesnt cause any problem with anything i also have a 99 express convasrion van and thats where it is on mine it should be the same if you can't get it from the bottom then you can get it from the top at the plastic molding if you have tilt steering wheel you have to put the van in low gear and easyily pull a part and unplug your head light switch and in my case the rear fan switch and on the right side of your steering wheel you will see a little black box mounted to the column ;):)
  • tdog4tdog4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I got a 97 g10 van 4.3 vortec.....It has developed a very bad idle and hesitation problem, but it only lasts for a few min's on any start, cold or hot. I just had a tuneup (plugs wires cap rotor fuel & air filter) The problem started before tuneup & seems to be getting worse.Every once in a while it will bring up code# 0152 (high voltage bank2 sensor1)...but I think thats due to it allmost stalling. today it flashed code # 0300 (multiple cylinder missfire) when it allmost stalled.....any thoughts? fuel pump? coil?...1 more ?, has anyone replaced the coil on one of these? if so how did u get it out??....thank you
  • jxpjxp Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with the idle and hesitation. It did it a lot, but not for the mechanic when I brought it in a couple of times. Then when I was getting it smogged, the mechanic found the problem. The fuel injectors needed cleaning. He charged me $50 for a BG fuel induction service kit and $75 to put a bottle of BG 44K in the gas tank and spray BG Fuel injector system cleaner into the intake system. (I got this off the receipt.) It fixed the problem.
  • rhozetarhozeta Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with my 2001 Express, I figured it needed front wheel bearings, was this what you did as well?
    (I know your post is almost a year old But I am hoping that you still read the forum every once in a while) :)
  • markstrmarkstr Member Posts: 1
    First time post so here goes.....

I have the chance to get a 2000 Express Cargo van with very low miles 50,000.... Original owner. Custom Ordered it..
    Excellent condition ( Picture viewing only) It has a great package on it. ( 7.4Ltr. 454 engine and Limited Slip rear end, Chrome package and added heater in rear area etc.)
    Problem is, Out of state vehicle and I am not able to see it
    direct.. I am considering on having the seller take it to the closest Chev.Dealership for a complete check up..
    Vin # checks out.. Additional pictures on the way ( close ups etc.)
    Also: This will have to be shipped. Anyone know of a real dependable Shipper?? Can't get one of these in my area and I really like the look of it!!! Within the US....
    Suggestions would REALLY be great!!!!
    I HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU BUT WHEN I SOLD MY TRUCK TO BUY MY EXPRESS VAN I SOLD ON EBAY AND IF YOU GO TO THIS SITE YOU CAN FIND A GOOD SHIPPER WHEN YOU GO WWW.EBAY.COM GO TO EBAY MOTORS AND THEIRS ALWAYS ONE POSTED THERE AND A 1-800 NUMBER AND THEY GO ANYWHERE IN THE U.s. HOPE THIS HELPS GOD BLESS IF YOU Can't FIND IT EMAIL ME GOOD LUCK">
  • vanownerazvanowneraz Member Posts: 9
    I found one company in California that sells bench seats for Express/Savana's. But the company was not good at all at getting me the product in a timely fashion and I wonder if they shipped all the parts that I should have gotten (like seat belt bolts).

I would recommend going to a shop to have a business that specializes in add seats put in another seat because it is less hassle than dealing with a seat supplier and then trying to find somone that that will mount the seat in for you, unless you can install the seat yourself. The mounting is really not that hard but you have to have the correct tools. Scrap yards rarely have the entire parts for installing all of the seat and pulling the correct parts of a junk yard van may be more work than installing it. You might be lucky to find a seat at a junk yard but then you will need to get the rails that the seat mounts into. Buying new seat belts are common to find on the internet.

I am putting in my own 4 seater bench seat in my Express 135" wheelbase passenger van. I have done some automotive customization before so for me it is easer than paying some one else to install it. I am saving over $500 by installing the seat myself but I am also taking more time.
  • taomanaystaomanays Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Express Van, and I've been trying to figure out how to turn off these dreaded Daytime running lights. I camp in my van a lot, and have a power inverter inside, so sometimes I want to run the engine not to drain the battery, but then my lights come on. Not cool.

Anyway have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Ashton
    Daylight Running Lights (DRL)
    Some domestics and all Canadian models are quiped with Daytime Running Lihts (DRL) . The DRL system illuminates the head lights whenever the engine isrunning and the parking break is disengaged. The DRL system provides reduced power to the headlights so that they wont be to bright for daytime use and it prolognes the headlight bulbs service life. It does this by modulating the pulse -widthof the power of the headlights. The duration and interval of these power power pulses is determined by the drl control module.which is located on the left knee bolster mounting bracket.to the left of the steering column.if your vehicle is equipped with drl,and if there seems to be a problem with it have it serviced by a dealer hope this works for you GOD BLESS YOU :shades:
  • hopkinstxhopkinstx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 5.7L Express Van 105k miles. Very bad hesitation when first starting out (hot or cold) but then got better. Also had the Service Engine Soon light come on (and cycle off once in a while only to come back later). Had a code P0170 and P0174 .. lean condition on both sides). Chevy dealer replaced the fuel pump .. twice. No better. They also said they did a fuel induction clean up ... which did seem to help with the hesitation when at intersections and such. They were ready to change out injectors and I told them I'd pick it up ... they didn't seem to have any good reasons (that they told me) to change them out. Anyway, I reviewed lots of posts and here's what I did: Ran the van with Techron fuel injector cleaner in each tank of gas. Seemed to help some. Changed out the distributer cap and rotor. Replaced PCV valve/tubing/elbow ($10 all-in-one part from the Chevy dealer). Then pulled the airfilter unit, disassembled the Mass Airflow Sensor unit that is right behind the airfilter. Just pull the 4 torx screws out and it will pop right off. Sprayed the daylights out of it using CRC MAS Cleaner ($8 at PepBoys) but still two of the three wires looked black in the center, thicker area of the wire. Got a pencil eraser and VERY, VERY carefully rubbed the wires to get the gunk off. Be very patient! It did clean them up to almost the same condition as the clean 3rd wire. Then sprayed them again with the rest of the can of cleaner. Let everything dry about 20 mins and reassembled. My van is now running like it did years ago ... more power, better sounding and the SES Light went off on it's own! I have to believe that cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor did the trick. Very, very easy to do.
    depress your parking brake and this will cut off the lights.
  • scorpiontrackscorpiontrack Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2002 2500 Express Extended Cargo Van. I was doing some reading and found that models with GVW of 8500 and up have a switch to turn off the air-bag. My GVW is 7500 and therefore (I guess) is the reason I do not have such a 'switch'. My occasionally take one of my kids in the van and would like to permanently turn off the passenger side bag. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
  • pepper4pepper4 Member Posts: 10
    The turn signals work fine with head lights off but when you turn on the lights at night. Then you put on the left turn signal the right front blinks also, but not as bright . Then same thing happens when you put the right turn signal on also the flasher clicks real fast. I replaced the flasher and checked and cleaned the grounds by the battery. I ran wire from the neg side of the battery the ground wire and it did not change.

Thank You
    pepper4
  • pepper4pepper4 Member Posts: 10
    I replaced both front light sockets and that fixed the problem.

pepper4 :)
  • skarnyskiskarnyski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 12 passenger van and there is an electrical connector under the passenger front seat - any idea what this is? Mine shorted out last night and started a small fire under the seat. It looks like a puddle of water and a tour book may have caused the short. Any body have any ideas??

Also, the dashboard lights have gone out three times - twice under warrenty the dealer fixed them but the warrenty is up and I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

Thanks!
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Hi everybody,

Does somebody know how reliable are the 1500 Savanas with the V6 4.3 liter engines? How much trouble, let's say in 100,000 - 150,000 miles ?

I plan to buy such a vehicle, customized as a Class-B RV. Installing the cabinets, sink, electrical, fiberglass roof, beds (one in the van, and one in the roof), etc, is pretty expensive. The roof raises like in those old VW Camper Vans.

The price jumps up by about 40%. Is the GM van worth it (reliability wise), or I am wasting my money ? This toy is a lot pricier than a tent trailer !

Thanks
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    I own a business and turn our Chevy Express vans at or just before 60k. We only use the V6 and they have been pretty much trouble free during the first 50k. If I were using the van as a RV I would look at the V8. The gas milage isn't any different than the V6. You may also want to look at the 2500 series.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Thanks jvette, I agree with you. I would have preferred the 2500 series (heavy duty transmissions), but because of unknown reasons (to me) the 2500 series, after conversion, become 84.5 inches tall. That's too tall to fit it in my garage.

The 1500 series become 83 inches tall, which is exactly at the limit of my garage door. I just ordered the 5.3 liter V8 (optional on 1500 series).

I plan to keep the van for the next 20 years, that's why I want to store it in my garage during the winter. I estimated about 5,000 miles per year of vacation and weekends. In 20 years that gives 100,000 miles.

It's amazing that the V8 is not thirstier than the V6 !
    I have a 99 chevy with the 5.7 mine is on the accumulator/reicver. look to the left of the motor. it is silver and partially insulated. if not follow the refrigerant from the heater core to it. hope this helps.
  • paleeds1paleeds1 Member Posts: 1
    Spark Plugs - What is the technique to install? - to install the spark plugs do we remove the wheels and hood cover inside. what else is required to "reach" the plugs. Special tools needed... Is it best to replace other things at the same time.Distr, PVC, wires
  • cmungercmunger Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, my odometer started reading very inacurate today fluctuating anywhere from 20 up to 100 mph, when actually going about 30 mph. Transmission shifts quickly to 4th gear (overdrive) Engine has no power because it is in 4th gear, So my question is do you think I have an electronical speed control problem or a serious transmission problem, van does have high milage but I never had a problem. I appreciate any advice that anyone out there may have to offer, and thank you in advance.
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    i found this '04 van with 76k miles. it was owned by enterprise which used to shuttle their employees around. the reason i am interested in this particular van because it has 10 individual hi-back seats with three-point seatbelts. do you think the mileage is too high? i have never own any chevy or ford big vans so don't know anything about them. thanks

oh by the way, they want around $15k for it.
  • jjpdicksonjjpdickson Member Posts: 2
    In 2004 I purchased a 2001 Chevy express 3500 with 74000 miles from Enterprise. It has 14 bucket seats. I'm very happy with it. Drove it to upstate N Y and back from Los Angeles with no problems. I did have to repair a rear axle seal leak recently. It will cruise all day long at 80 mph with 10 people. It can get up to 15 mpg on the road. I like it. When I bought it I believe the drivers side mirror heater did not work. I recommend it very much.
    Wow. I found this van in LA too. May I ask how many miles is on your van now?
  • jjpdicksonjjpdickson Member Posts: 2
    99850 miles and runs strong.
  • sig88sig88 Member Posts: 2
    Express 3500 15 Passenger: My double side door is open and the latch is stuck in the closed position so the door will not close. I have tried closing the door as far as possible to engage the autolocks, but that does not help. How do I manually get the latch open?
  • sig88sig88 Member Posts: 2
    Express 3500 15 Passenger: My double side door is open and the latch is stuck in the closed position so the door will not close. I have tried closing the door as far as possible to engage the autolocks, but that does not help. How do I manually get the latch open?
  • 6xadad6xadad Member Posts: 2
    Are you referring to the side cargo doors? If so, take a small screwdriver or large nail or bolt and put it through the latch opening. Make sure the doors are unlocked and have someone pull the handle and pull out with the screwdriver. If you need a picture, I can provide one. This should release the latch.
  • 91accord91accord Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just wonder, have you find out what wrong with your van yet?. If you had then please tell me what is the problem?. I have same problem with my 1999 3/4 ton van. Thanks
  • blirishblirish Member Posts: 1
    Any word on this? I am interested in doing the same thing.
  • ealvarezealvarez Member Posts: 7
    I would like to change tires on my 99 express 1500, I have 235/75/15 and would like a slightly taller tire. can anyone tell me how big can I go without having clearance problems. Also I have added rear leaf spring in order to be able to carry more weight.
  • adis8066adis8066 Member Posts: 3
    go to www.1010tires.com, go to "TECH".
    Under Tech, you'll be able to fing anithing you wanna know about wheels & tires.
    In this case, you go to "Tire Size Calculator",
    enter your stock tire size, then enter whatever size you gonna be changing, then hit "Compare Tire Sizes".
    It will tell you whether the size too big or too small ...and There you go ...
    You can also play around with "Options" to see the different in width of the tires.
    Have fun !!! :):D;)
  • adis8066adis8066 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone ever seen a Chevy Express with a grille guard on it?? I'd like to have one installed on my Express. Is it Wierd??
    The reason i asked was someone keep either back-in or hit my front bumper where the license plate is in parking lot. I claimed insurance once, & i don't wanna claim the second time, or they may think i'm cheating on them !! :sick:
    I am torn between buying the Express and the Sprinter. I like the Express because it is alot cheaper and I like the Sprinter because all its seats have shoulder belts. I went and look at an '07 Express and notice that the second bench actually has shoulder belt for its middle passenger. However the third bench looks exactly like the second bench but it only has a lapbelt for its middle passenger. So I ask the salesman if I could get another second bench and swap out the third bench. He does not seem to know the answer but said "why not."

I figure you guys/gals here are the best people to ask ... So can it be done (i.e. same track ect)?

Thanks a bunch!