Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Solara

Comments

• Options
    cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Not even Own one? Jeez how can you said for the Toyota Quality? Your consistent comment is just based one a brief test drive and try to convince others not to buy? I believe your intention is good but not fair nor complete. Even reliable brands like Toyota and Honda have lemon cars. It's just percentage wise, is relative low. Plus the Solara is based on current Camry platform which has more tahn a year's test and review. Any critical problem should be addressed and most likely solved. If I were the CEO of Toyota, I woon't be stupid to risk the reputation for not aking care any big issue. As to my writing skill, I can survive without your worry. It's a message not an thesis or publishing article. Everybody understand but you. Case rested.
  • Options
    matthewhmatthewh Member Posts: 19
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Solara owners and readers of this forum. Have fun and enjoy your car many many years to come.
    Best wished,
    Matt
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i assume, snakerbill, that before you ordered a solara you test drove one that was on the lot... based on the test drive, you were satisfied so much that you ordered one. is this correct?

then again, you may not have test driven a solara before ordering one--- although to me that seems odd to order a car without test driving it...

i guess the lesson to be learned is, if at all possible, try to buy a car that is available right now, on the dealer's lot, as opposed to having to order one, or get one shipped to you.... then again, this is not always possible.

hoping the bengals beat out baltimore (browns fan here-- go Browns in 2004!).
  • Options
    i test drove a solara when it first came out... seemed to drive nice enough.... wasn't in market for a car, but the saleslady almost thrusted the keys at me to take a test drive...

i was just wondering, snakerbill, now that there are solaras on the lot now, whether you've test driven another one, or whether you've soured on toyota based on the one car you did drive.

i kinda like the gold solara color, if i did get one.
  • Options
    billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Hey, snake, I bet you wouldn't want any of us to get that lemon you "supposedly" ordered. So why don't you give us the VIN number so that we can avoid that particular car. Or at least give color, model and dealer location so we don't get stuck with that piece of crap.

Honestly, I have my suspicions whether you even ordered the car. You are telling me you would freaking order one, but you had never test drove one? I don't believe that. If you did, you deserve what you get.

And, YES, you GENERALIZED about the entire Solara model based upon your "supposed" experience with one car. Go back and read your own posts. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you sell a competing brand and are just here to bash Toyota.

We heard you a hundred times. We got it. Do you have to keep repeating it? You said the Solaras aren't selling. What evidence do you have to back that up? Yeah, just what I thought. You got none.
  • Options
    i assume after all was said and done, and the out the door price was there in writing for you to see, you decided to sign your name to the bottom line.

"you got dynamite at the end of your fingertips-- it's called a signature." --bruce williams- an old talk show guy who i don't hear much anymore.

so why the complaints? until you signed your name AFTER the numbers were there for you to see, you had every right to take a walk until the figures were to your liking.

am i nuts?
  • Options
    pallcpallc Member Posts: 3
    Just completed a 1,400 mile trip with a new set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires in 205/60-16 size. I can't believe the difference in the way my '99 SLE handles. I researched these tires on TireRack.com, and their surveys of the "Most Popular" tires for my car rate this tire BEST in all 9 catagories. Not surprisingly, the OEM Potenza RE92s came in last place in every catagory. You can't beat this tire for the price - $100 plus shipping.
  • Options
    steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for your post!

My '99 SLE is going to need new tires in a year or so, and I can't wait to get something other than the OE Potenza RE92's!

Your Turanza experience sounds very positive.... Please keep us updated.
  • Options
    cafastlanecafastlane Member Posts: 11
    I was just wondering if anyone has purchased the new 2004 Toyota Solara? Has anyone experienced problems with it? Thnx!
  • Options
    99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Anyone running these that were highly rated by CU?
  • Options
    2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    The 5spd auto in the new Solara is programed to shift slowly at light throttle to prevent feeling the shift.You will notice firmer shifts at more aggressive throttle positions.As for the windows,well it seems to be notorious as my 00 did this also.As for the pulling...my 00 was fine and also my 04 SLE shows no signs of pulling.
  • Options
    jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    Had my first oil change at 2,500 miles (was leaving for a 1,000 mile trip the next day) and then did the second oil change at 4,500 miles (was coming back from my 1,000 mile trip).

I let the dealer change my oil the first time and then I did it myself the second (after I had put 1,500 miles on it... it came out just as dirty as any other car getting there oil changed at 1,500 miles...

I don't know that I'll follow the 5,000 mile recommendation. If we are all used to stopping every 3,000 miles for an oil change, why not keep doing it? Personally I don't think I'll risk it...
  • Options
    I'm getting pretty irked that Toyota didn't give the option for HID's in the new Solara. The new Celica has them... and now even the new Mazda 3 offers them (price of the car starts at $14,500 or so)...

Why no HID's???

I'm trying to figure out how I can retro fit a set in... I wonder if you can find some sort of conversion kit for the Celica and just make it work with the H11 bulb housing...
  • Options
    There is after market kit for most model but none is reliable and could risk in damaging your electric system. I have read CR April issue saying HID not necessary over Halogen. Well design in reflection and shape could affect the reach severely. I rather have the swing head light for the turn like it on the RX-330. You can install so called "Cool Blue" bulb to improve the visibility by around 30%. I have one in my 94 Camry and the result is quite well for less than $18. Anyone else has other info?
  • Options
    theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    Check out this website before buying anything.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html
  • Options
    GREAT INFO!

Thanks for the link... however I don't know that I would notice that much light loss by installing HID's (as the author of that website hints too). My boss has a Volvo S60 with HID's and it "seems" 10 times better than mine... I'll just have to wait and see if they ever build a conversion kit.
  • Options
    theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I thought the new Solara comes with a what they called Projector Ellipsoid System (PES) headlamp. Toyota claims it'll achieve better reach, distance, and side illumination. I personally know nothing about this PES thing and don't know if it's a new or old technology. But what I'm thinking is, if you install the aftermarket HID, and it burns your electric system, the factory warranty might not cover it.
  • Options
    The PES is a newer technology of headlight and I will agree that the definitely light up the road 100 times better than most of the cars out today (I'm still amazed at how much of the road is lit up by them).

If wired correctly (which is why I'll probably wait for a true conversion kit to come out... I'll let true professionals desing a kit) a HID kit should not fry your elctrical system because HID's only use 35 watts of power as compared to the 55 watt our halogen bulbs use.

I know I'll just wait, but wouldn't be surprised to see a HID option on the Solara in the next year or two... we'll see.
  • Options
    The other day I saw a "dark grayish" 04 Solora driving by. Can someone please tell me the official name of it? Thank you!! ^_^
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Not sure what color you saw - but take a look at Toyotas on line brochure go to

http://www.toyota.com/toyota/vehicles/ebrochure.jsp
  • Options
    hm... it seems like it could either be the Oceanus Pearl or the Lunar Mist Metallic. I mean, it was an evening so my eyes could have been playing tricks on me. However, thanks z71bill!!!
  • Options
    icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had a chance to play around with the DVD based navigation system in the 2004 Solara. I currently have a portable version of a Magellan GPS in my other car and am wondering how the DVD version compares, and whether it is worth my money to buy it with the new car. If anyone has any opinions or can direct me somewhere, help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    coda72coda72 Member Posts: 13
    I used to lurk here quite frequently, but I just looked in today after a few months hiatus. I guess there have been some people complaining about their Solaras. Not me. I have a 99 SE V6 with 82,000 miles on it, and I still love this car. I've had one minor problem that cost me $85 (the check engine light kept coming on), but other than that this car has been perfect. I even got 75,000 miles on the front brakes, and I still haven't replaced the back brakes. I plan on keeping my car for another 82,000 miles. (And no, I don't work for Toyota or know anyone who does. Just a happy owner.)
  • Options
    lynnejlynnej Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Solara, one owner, and the thermostat doesn't seem to be working properly..I am in New England, but when the car is started and left to run for 20 mins, the temp gauge doesn't move much at all, and the windshield wipers never seem to thaw completely, anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Better you go to the dealer as the people in this room are generally carsalesmen and dont like to hear any negative car talk. Report it to NHTSA!

Peace

50,000 miles seat belt broke now!

Engine mounts replaced....New Solara was nice to drive for a week!

more to come
  • Options
    silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    if U bought from a dealer, have the dealership check out the engine temp gauge. don't have the problem w/ the thawing wipers (you mean your Solara is supposed to have heated windshield wipers?). if you need more help - try the Maintenance forums on this site.

Don't worry about WebG - a month ago he claimed his engine fell out on the way to his upscale gym (among years' worth of other 'problems'), and that ALL of us on this forum who disagree with him are Toyota salespeople... yeah, and it was me on the grassy knoll in that Zapruder film...

63K miles - NO PROBLEMS, and loving my 200 SE-V6 Solara... and more enjoyable miles to come...
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    What happens when you are driving (not idling)? Does the gauge indicate a warmer engine?

Are you getting interior heat? If so, maybe the gauge (not the 'stat) is malfunctioning.

And yeah, maybe the Maintenance forums are a better bet for getting this resolved.

Good luck.
  • Options
    engine mounts snapping same as engine falling out dude! Been driving the 2004 Solara to the upscale gym. It didnt occur going to the gym, rather Sunday mass. Just because NJ doesnt have much UPSCALE silver please dont be insulting as it is againt Edmunds terms of service, and I will be ignoring your rude comments, as suggested by Edmunds. Got my car back, went to put on seat belt and it came out! Thanks. 2004 is built better, but it was a new track car.

My temp gauge takes forever to start to warm up. Im in Chicago, so its about 11 degrees, but it takes about 10 min warming, then about 10 highway miles before I get the gauge to the center, and much heat. Many of the posters here dont even drive Solaras or live in warmer climates, many in California, so I would stop by a dealer and ask, as many of the people here sell cars not repair them.
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    More of the same old stuff!!!!
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    - didn't you miss him?
  • Options
    ... so he topped that by getting a Solara in 2004? pleeeez... ya got a bridge in New York ya wanna sell, WebG? c'mon really, guy, what do you drive? ya might as well tell the truth since no one believes you anymore. A Focus? A Sunfire/Cavalier?
  • Options
    I douubt Toyota is going to give me a cavalier as a loaner. read the posts correctly.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview someone who bought a car within the past six months. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information, make and model of car, and incentives applied to the purchase by 10 AM Pacific on Friday, January 16, 2004.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    ...give Web anything at this point!!!!
  • Options
    billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Well, I'm not sure how many car salesmen we have on this post, but we sure have one heck of a comedian. In between getting some good information here, we even can get some good laughs from Webguy!

Just knowing he is driving a 2004 Solara after hearing about all the engines falling out...well, it doesn't get much better than that.

By the way, how does Webber know who is and is not a car salesmen here? With his great stories he would make a great USED car salesman.
  • Options
    decondecon Member Posts: 56
    What services are suggested at the 60K mile service?

A/T Transmission flush and replace/drain, timing belt, drive belt, cooling system flush, spark plugs etc?
  • Options
    just had my 60K a month ago. Hard for me to remember, but I think the timing belt isn't due to be replaced until 90K. the rest of it was the fluids being replaced, etc.
  • Options
    You also should replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt. This will will save you at least $300.00 labor if it go wrong before next 90K. The water pump is near the timing belt and cost less than $80.00 usually.
  • Options
    jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    I'm thinking of buying this car, but it looks like the silver interior is very susceptible to scratching. Just curious as to the experiences of any owners in this regard.
  • Options
    The silver trim only on the center stack between driver and passenger seats. It covers from top of the multiple displays down to the arm rest. The material is on the higher end and the paint feel solid and durable. Haven't seen any scratch yet but only time will tell. Actually most the modern car interial using painted textured plastic or so-called soft plastic. The paint will be worn off by time and expose black or white base color. There are some after market vendors sell makeup for car interior paint and work quite well. I will be more concern about the fit and finish and material used as well as noise.
  • Options
    sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Toyota just announced the debut of the Solara Convertible on Feb 4th in Chicago with deliveries in March. Just in time for Spring.
  • Options
    Its -30F windchill here....why do they do that?????
  • Options
    chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
  • Options
    golfstergolfster Member Posts: 6
    Anyone out there test-driven or own an SE Sport with the 4 cyl and 5m tranny? How does it go/handle compared to the V-6? They are sure hard to find.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Which car gives you more value, bang for the buck, and performance?

The Solara V6 Sport SE or the Acura TL.

Which would be more fun to drive?
  • Options
    sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
  • Options
    TL is more sporty and better control while Solara V6 is more relax and smooth suite for cruising. Interior material and design are tied with each has strong and weakness. I personally like the Solara better but depends your taste. The big difference is the price and features. The Solara V6 is at least $5,000 cheaper than the TL while the later has more feature and superior audio. But you like to drive and can swallow the $5k in addition to the more conservative style, TL will be better choice.
  • Options
    silverstarrclssilverstarrcls Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Solara V6 SLE fully loaded w/ Navigation is hard to get in Southern California?

I really want the factory navigation, but my local dealer in Irvine, CA says they do not get navigation models. They suggested an aftermarket navigation, but I really do not like those type of units.

Anyone able to get this car with navigation in Southern California?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jmack253jmack253 Member Posts: 6
    I looked at both cars. I liked the TL a lot, but dealers were getting top dollar ($34,000.00) and wanted at least 500 per month to lease with $3000.00 down. I bought a Solara SLE V6 with side curtain airbags, stability control, JBL stereo and leather interior for $25,100.00. So price difference is way more than $5000. I bought my Solara for less money per month than it would be to lease the TL.

Advantages for TL: Cool interior, better steering, better handling, felt faster, really good stereo, xm radio standard, nice looking interior. Status?
    Disadvantages for TL: price, kind of plain styling, dealers know they have a "hot" car, transmission seemed to hunt gears at 60-70 mph.

Advantage Solara: The most comfortable seats, smooth relaxed ride, powerful 3.3 motor and tranny combo that shifts very smoothly. A budget Lexus. Price. Unique look.
    Disadvantage Solara: Unique look (polarizes people, some like it some do not), really fake looking wood trim, stereo just does not sound very premium, xm radio is a $775 dealer installed option, steering is numb and many owners, including myself, are having an issue with a drifting to the left problem.

I bought the Solara based on the comfort factor and value. I also looked very closely at the V6 Accord. Lot of value for the money there, but I found the seats to be much less comfortable for me. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    04sleslvnav104sleslvnav1 Member Posts: 1
    The Toyota sales person mentioned to me yesterday that there is a way to play DVD movies in the Solara Nav system. Does anyone no how to make this work ?