Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    I'll get to see if Hyundai's mechanics and body shop staff are any good. A large moving van decided to change lanes illegally in a restricted area and smashed up the front end of my poor car. Rear of his truck crushed front of my car up against curb. Really ticked me off that the driver wasn't carrying his driver's license and the company truck didn't have any registration or insurance papers in it. Cop ticketed him for improper lane change but wouldn't write him/it up for the paperwork issues. I begged him.

Bet mine is one of a very, very small number of GLS's with 5-speed and Pkg 13. Hope they can repair her!

Sugarpig1: Keep trying. Have you collected pricing info on all these vehicles showing MSRPs, invoice prices, holdbacks, fees, current rebates & financing incentives, etc? Do tell the Hyundai dealership you'd like to buy a Sonata if the price is right. And point out what other dealers are willing to do to move their cars (e.g., deep discount on Taurus). Can't imagine why they wouldn't be willing to go $1,500-2,000 off on Sonata. Bought mine in May. Had to do dealer trade to get it because I wanted a rare combination. Only one like it in 10-state area. I still got price down from $20,262 sticker to $18,400. I didn't push too hard. Just told salesperson I had crunched all the numbers and would buy the car today at that price. Dealer agreed. The 0.9% financing then made the deal all the sweeter.
  • Options
    herneherne Member Posts: 18
    My sympathies go to Giowa after having your Sonata crunched by a truck. I assume that being run into a kerb then your suspension has been bent as well as panel damage.
    If the same had happened to me I would have been very upset.
    Of course you may be lucky and have a panel shop where someone actually cares but after a major front end collision involving the suspension, cars don't seem to be the same as new again.
    I hope that you have a good experience and prove me wrong.
  • Options
    sugarpig1sugarpig1 Member Posts: 14
    Has any one out there driven or purchased the 4 cyl base? I will try and drive it this week. How much did they come off the sticker? I looked at the Galant today (dealers closed) and also the Altima. These 2 cars are almost the same in interior inches and horsepower as the base sonata. I've never owned a mitsubishi, but I understand the Sonata 4 cyl is made by mitsubishi. Is it a dependable engine? The Hyundai dealer only had 3 sonata's on the lot???? Are they selling that fast, or is it the end of production for the 2000's? Thanks
  • Options
    drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    All Hyundai engines are made by Hyundai now. They stopped using Mitsubishi engines a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    I have a base model with about 4k miles on it and I love it. It has in my opinion PLENTY of power and it does so with two less cyls and a bunch of other associated engine parts. If you look at the displacement there is barely any difference.

I agree, the 6cyl allows you to spend more money on options if you want to.... but that is it.

I get good mpg, its quiet, responsive and seemingly reliable.... wont know for another few years.

I paid 13805+cargo net+mats+keyless entry at cost+ tax. The suggested retail was 16,305.

I put the second coat of wax on it and noticed no sheet metal problems. I guess I am lucky or maybe when it gets cooler out they may show up.

I have no regrets at all. BUT I use it as transportation from point A to B unlike some folks that find it to be an extension of their being or some heavy concept like that.

I wont say YOU GOTTA HAVE IT, but I like mine, glad I got it and hope it lasts.

Tony
  • Options
    petecpetec Member Posts: 4
    I now have 11k on my GLS 1999. So happy with it that I may consider replacing my 88 Towncar with the XG 300 but can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone out there know where I can find some info. I understand that the XG 300 is being sold now in Korea so there must be info somewhere. Thanks in advance. Pete
  • Options
    silverqueensilverqueen Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased my 4 cylinder base with 5-speed. The suggested retail was $15,612. So far, (900 miles)I love the car. It has plenty of power, is comfortable, responsive, and has already been mistaken for a Lexus or an Infiniti on several occasions!

Sorry about your loss Giowa - hope all goes well in the repair department.
  • Options
    jrflukejrfluke Member Posts: 9
    Here's the Korean website for the new XG, complete with virtual reality interior rotating view.

http://www.hmc.co.kr/eng/vehicles/product/grandeur/index.htm
  • Options
    1. Forgot to mention the great experience I had with H Roadside Assistance on Saturday. Got thru quickly, they made the towing arrangements, and the tow truck was there in less than 10 minutes. They use the biggest towing operation in my area. Driver told me they had the city and county contracts along with host of others. Took a big load off my mind as I looked at my broken baby.

2. 9/7/00 issue of NY Times: "DaimlerChrysler has been given approval by the Hyundai Motor Company to buy a 9 percent stake in the company... [DC] will pay $389 million for the stake and will set terms to buy an additional .99 percent soon... price is a 25% premium to Hyundai Motor's closing price...."
  • Options
    chris175chris175 Member Posts: 2
    general impressions-lots of scoot for a 4 banger,comfortable ride(previously owned cavalier),gas mileage is on par or better than cavalier,no squeeks(woohoo!!),feels well built.
    poopy: ding just off center off front hood(hyundai will fix),someone went ballistic with orbital buffer swirl marks and heavy abrasion(hyundai will fix),front seat head rest will not stay in down position(hyundai will fix)/o.e. tires
    are cheap-will upgrade.
    --after living with a cavalier for 3 years-the sonata feels like a mercedes!!!i like it!
  • Options
    mysmoonmysmoon Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at the Sonata V6. I finally called a couple of dealers and they both told me that the V6 doesn't come in manual trans in the states? (or at least in the Atlanta, Georgia area) I've been reading the comments that's been posted. I get the distinct feeling that the 5-speeds are out there so where is everyone who has purchased one getting them? My two previous cars have been manual and automatic transmisiions, respectively and I would like to go back to the manual.

Second, I've only researched the price on the computer and the MSRP and the invoice price in both Edmunds and Kelley are lower than the prices at carsdirect and greenlight. So can anyone tell me what's going on?
  • Options
    Good luck finding one. In May, 2000, when I went looking I called the three Hyundai dealers with a 150 miles radius (Omaha, Council Bluffs, and Des Moines). Two of the dealers weren't even interested in trying to get one. The Council Bluffs dealer had a great salesperson who sat me down with him at their computer. I only wanted a GLS V-6 manual w/Pkg 13. His dealership hadn't ordered a '99 or '00 with a V-6 manual. In doing a 10-state locate we found one in Chicago. There was only one. I ordered it immediately and they did the inter-dealer trade (trailering to me)

Interestingly enough, when I got it I poured over the papers. It was built 8/99, the dealer had it in 10/99 and it had sat on his lot for over 7 months. The Illinois dealer had tacked on a bogus $900 "Autobahn Pkg" that was paint sealer, pin stripe, and mud guards. No wonder it sat their. Bad dealers don't move metal. Think dealer too focused on his VW business.

When I first found this site months ago I remember reading some posts from some guys down South (possibly Georgia) also looking. Don't know if they ever got one.

I think Hyundai doesn't ship many over here at all. What a shame. V-6 w/manual and 13 is a real sleeper bargain!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions of the 4 cyl. I hope to drive one soon. There is something deep down inside of me that is scared to buy a Hyundai and I think it is from all the "uneducated" consumers out on the street that haven't researched the Hyundai lately. I just can't afford to make a mistake on this car OR live with it in the shop. I NEED A PEP TALK!!!! the dealer that I talked to the other day does not provide a loaner car and I am in real estate and must have a vehicle at my disposal at all times. I tested a Galant today and really like it, but still my heartstrings pull for the sonata. I'm noticing more and more Sonatas on the road here in Houston. Happy to see them. Can we order a wood grain panel for the cockpit thru "aftermarket" places??? That would make the base model shine...
  • Options
    petecpetec Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the web site on the XG 300. Pete
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If the dealer doesn't have a manual V-6 on the lot, it doens't mean you can't order one. They are available, it's just that the dealer wants to sell what is on their lots, not look for something elsewhere. If you really prefer the manual, I say go for it and either have them locate one for you, or order one if you can stand waiting a few months. Good luck and don't get discouraged!
  • Options
    sonatax3sonatax3 Member Posts: 4
    I just had my 00 Sonata GLS package 12 in for its 12,000 mile service. Not a single problem or complaint yet. Normal gas mileage is a solid 25 MPG with 31-33 MPG on long road trips. My wife and I were talking last night and if we needed another car right now, it would be another Sonata.
  • Options
    As I have researched this car on the message boards for months now, I have to say that any problems with the sonatas have been fairly minor. When researching other cars, I have found MAJOR trans, a/c and engine problems and I haven't heard anything like this about the sonatas. For those of you that did buy the 4 cyl, did you compare it to others 4's and how does it rank?
  • Options
    greg_ggreg_g Member Posts: 9
    I purchased my 2000 Sonata GLS in Feb. and have put approx. 6,000 miles on it. The car has been absolutely trouble free. THe spacious interior the fairly roomy trunk(it could be a bit larger)
    and the exterior design(this is the first car that I have owned that people have actually remarked about how they like the look of the car)has made me a content owner. By the way, I saw an ad in the paper today that the Santa Fe SUV by Hyundai is now on display for ordering. Has anyone seen it.
  • Options
    The only thing I wish could be different but it is comonplace these days is the timing belt. I would just prefer it being a chain.

No regrets here.

Tony
  • Options
    volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    I agree with tonykrapil about chain-driven camshafts to a certain degree. I happen to own a '99 Frontier which has a 2.4L DOHC I4 with a timing chain. IMHO it's a good application for a truck engine, where the long service intervals are much appreciated and the typically higher noise associated with chain-driven cams are of a less concern.

I actually prefer the cam belt in my '99 4cyl Sonata. Belts are typically quieter and slightly less power robbing than chains. They also don't require an oil bath for lubrication. Belts are really quite tough. It takes a major malfunction and/or gross neglegence on maintenance to cause a belt to fail before the typical 60k replacement interval.

As for the Sonata I4 compared to others. I really think this counterbalanced DOHC ranks among one of the most refined 4cyls I've owned or driven. I've owned 3 vehicles with 2.4L DOHC I4, and too many others to count. Practically as smooth in power delivery as a V6 in the low and mid RPM range. It gives away little to other similarly sized I4s in its class.
  • Options
    I called a dealership today and asked for prices on the 4 cyl base, the gls w/leather and w/o leather. Lets see what he comes back with. I told him I am mainly looking for value on any of these cars. I have spent too many days running from dealership to dealership all over Houston, so I'm gonna let my fingers do the walking!!!! My first choice is white and 2nd is the Light Moss. Has anyone heard if we order the "woodgrain" for the consold from an aftermarket dealer?????? Would love to know.
  • Options
    rich310rich310 Member Posts: 34
    Even though I purchased an Olds Alero, I still enjoy this website. I looked at 3 Hyundai dealers in central NJ and all were awful from the sales end. I imagine that the service could be a lot worse. If i had a better buying experience I would have probably bought the Sonata w/pkg 13.

There are a bunch of internet services where you can get price quotes or selling prices . Use Carsdirect, greenlight, autobytel etc. For those who want a 5 speed you can request it through these organizations and they will try to locate a car for you.
  • Options
    As Rich310 has mentioned try an online car buying company. A lady bought a car this way as was tickled. The car was delivered to her on a flat bed truck. It had ballons inside and a ribbon on top. The truck driver had a checklist and the two of em went over it, IF something was not right the car did not have to be taken and back it would go. As it turned out she stated it was perfect and learned more about what to check from the driver thanks to the list than she ever coulod have learned elsewhere. After they checked it out they THEN took it for a ride and checked it again.

I was impressed and if I had not found the one I truly wanted I would have gone that route.

As for the plastic looking woodgrain trim is concerned, I believe I saw it on an aftermarket site and the GLS comes with it. Down side is you have to take the six cyl with it. (just kidding guys, couldnt resist) If I find the accessorie site I will post it for you.

Tony
  • Options
    I would recommend getting the light moss instead of white. I have had many people tell me how much they love the color of my light moss Sonata. White is a wee bit on the boring side.
  • Options
    astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Hello Sugarpig1,
    I believe you can find the woodgrain kit at www.autoanything.com. They have two kit listings under the 2000 Sonata but only one shows up. It is the full 19 piece kit intended for the base Sonata buyers. It is fairly expensive but you have the luxury of applying just the pieces you wish. You can order the real wood for $299 or the synthetic for $199. There is even a piece for the glove box latch!
    To my knowledge only the Canadian vehicles get the full wood treatment. American Sonata GLS's get the three center and four door inserts only.
  • Options
    Met with the body shop manager today to discuss repairing my baby. Manager went to great pains to alert me to fact it will likely take longer to do this work than on his other makes (Cadillac, Olds, Subaru). He said it can take a couple weeks before the parts come in. And I'm going to need a lot of parts to fix the front and front side. He mentioned that Hyundai is getting better at supplying the right parts in a timely manner, but they just aren't as big and don't have the distribution system like other, larger, more established manufacturers. Will be interesting to see how long it will take to bring her back to life.
  • Options
    mysmoonmysmoon Member Posts: 2
    I tried ordering a 5sp from carsdirect. They told me the only 5sp 6-cyl is in Wisconsin and the only way I could get it was for me to go and pick it up. I asked whether they could have it delivered or dealer trade/trailering and wasn't that one of the selling points of using their service? The salesperson informed me it wasn't and they deal with the dealers in the region of the buyer. Furthermore, there is not a high demand for 5sp 6-cyl in the SE. What a bunch of crock! Especially when a salesman I spoke with tonight said he's had over 30 requests in the last year alone. He, of course, said Hyundai doesn't ship these to the states at all. I informed him that Wisconsin had one according to CarsDirect. But the bottom line is cost (since I'm a graduate student) and so it looks like I'm going to be giving in and go with the automatic since he's willing to make a deal. We'll have to see when I go in to meet with him in person. He's promised $750 below invoice. Wish me luck.

To reiterate since I'm going in to talk price tomorrow: Why is the invoice and MSRP price quoted by Kelley and Edmund lower than CarsDirect and Greenlight? Can anyone tell me?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. Back in the summer of '98 my wife hit a deer while driving our '95 Sonata. The car was in the shop from 6/17-7/1. Hood and Drivers side front headlight assembly replaced, some bumper work, and a new condenser for the AC with related parts.
    Repair work was done by my dealers' suggested shop. Excellent repairs. Long wait due to parts holdups.
    I would hope that the parts supply problem would be noticeably improved in the past two years. If not, count on two weeks.
  • Options
    When our Sonata got rear-ended it ended up in the body shop for just over one week. They were able to get the new rear bumper and trunk lid in under a week. The hold-up was in getting the badge decals for the trunk lid. They kept sending the body shop the "SONATA" decals instead of the "GLS V6" decals. So, your car may not be in the shop too long. We were happy to get our Sonata back, as the rental car (1999 Mercury Sable) was absolutely horrible compared to our Sonata.
  • Options
    cdorvalcdorval Member Posts: 1
    I've got one. Antenna stopped going up and down. I guess I need to check fuses, but anyone else have this problem ever?
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions of using the websites to find a Sonata, but I've tried and haven't found any that are servicing Texas. I guess all the Texas dealerships have not joined this service????? I spent the entire morning on the phone calling 4 dealerships in Houston to price out my sonata and no one has hardly anything on the lots. They will get more within a few days, but I want it NOW, ha ha It looks like these things have turned into a "high demand" car all of a sudden. I hope I can still get a good deal on one. One guy told me that it took him a month to find a lady her sonata in white pearl. Someone here had a new 4cyl w/5speed on the lot (for all of you looking). I want an automatic.
  • Options
    herneherne Member Posts: 18
    I have just returned from a 300 mile trip in our V6 Manual Sonata, loaded to the hilt with 4 people and luggage, plus a large trailer full of camping gear (including a 60 litre refrigerator full of beer and food).
    The trip included a long mountain section with switch back corners and i can say that i was impressed with the brakes ability to pull the car up even theough the trailer did not have any brakes. Obviously I was able to use the gears for engiine braking but at no time did i feel worried.
    The car still cruised nicely at approx. 70 mph in 5th gear, dropping back to 4th for most reasonable hills in order to keep the engine speed up. I found that under 2800 rpm the engine did not have much pulling power but it was fine as long as I kept the revs above this.
    The real test was coming home up the mountain still with the same load (less a few beers and some food). Althought not a hot day, the engine temperature did not move at all and I had great pleasure in passing a Camry V6 also towing a trailer as I pulled out of a hairpin corner in second gear.
    This was a hard test on the car and I can say that it performed to my expectations.
    I drove it according to the conditions and it performed accordingly.
    I guess that I can say that the engine is run in now !!!!
  • Options
    Hello bironb,
    I too saw that article a while ago and noticed the following: (see if you agree)
    Hyundai Sonata places just below the industry average (this is an entirely new vehicle ('99)built in an entirely new automated plant---most first year production runs have the lion's share of difficulties. The '00 has far less complaints.)
    Cars like the VW Jetta place very near the bottom of the list but you never hear this raised against that vehicle. All you ever are going to hear is how great German engineering is and how far back VW has come from their lows in just one decade.
    The J.D. Power surveys are but one tool to use in considering any vehicle. And like all sources of information you take each one with a critical eye for the details.
    Actually while the Sante Fe is based on the Sonata platform, much of it is different. Because it is a new vehicle I would always recommend caution. If people MUST HAVE a first year run of any car then they must be prepared to suffer a few kinks.
    Hyundai has now taken over KIA and will be applying their increasing standards of quality control to that Marque as well.
    Considering the vehicles that are listed within 20 points on either side of the average (154) I am amused at the continuing focus on the Koreans. Everyone knows they have been playing catch-up. It would appear that others seem to think that treading water or even falling backwards is a sign of success. Just look at some of the marquee names within that span.
    Lastly, the variability of these surveys is widely known. While there are a small number of individual car designs that stay at or near the top, the vast numbers of also rans continually trade positions.
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    Well said. My only other consideration is the Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) V6 but with 4 major recalls since its recent release my confidence in that product has diminished somewhat.

1. Cruise control accelerator sticking problem
    2. Steering wheel retainer may cause steering wheel to come off
    3. Some 4x2’s were built with 4x4 rear wheel hubs, may cause the rear wheels to become loose or separate from the vehicle
    4. Fuel line leakage

The way I see it, how worse can a Hyundai product be than a Ford one.

Although I wanted a all-wheel drive vehicle for the coming winter here in Canada, my safest bet is to wait till spring and continue to monitor both vehicles.
  • Options
    Also well said. I agree on the waiting period. The best part about a move to the Sante Fe, should you so decide, will be the great warranty.
    I suspect that Hyundai will likely bend over backwards to make those new customers happy as the vehicle is a move into new territory. Likewise, the new XG. You just can't have enough good customer relations nowadays. Good Luck whatever and whenever you decide.
  • Options
    pwapwa Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Sonata GLS with Package 12 and went to try to add the vechile to my insurance policy. Although I could not do this on line I found the following:
    *Deemed "substantially worse then average" by the Highway Loss Data Institute: Dodge Neon, Ford Aspire, Ford Escort, Geo Metro, Honda Civic, Honda Civic Coupe, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Sonata, Isuzu Rodeo, Mazda Protege, Mercury Tracer, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi Mirage, Nissan 200SX, Nissan 240 SX, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tercel.

I am somewhat concerned that they deem the sonata "substantially worse then average". The car has some extras Air bags (4) and seat belt pretensioners. Does anyone know if the test is for an older year. Is there any information for the 2000. I an wondering if this was the the right choice (I do have children that will be in the car from time to time). I had looked at Accord and Camry but felt the styling and price of the Hyundai were better.

Concerned.
  • Options
    Hello PWA,
    Most of the current insurance ratings on vehicles are several years old, circa '97-'98.
    The new Sonata, as you undoubtedly know, is a complete redesign and is currently in its' second year of production. This vehicle gets very high marks from my insurer, GEICO, and resulted in our insurance bill for two cars (both Sonatas) being barely more than the previous bill for the one car.
    If you wish to see the current Sonata test info go here:
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/
    I believe the new car is much safer but will improve even more in future models. Hyundai means business. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Do keep in mind that it is not just crash test ratings which are being looked at. Real world loss data is a key piece. They are looking at theft rates, claims filed, resulting medical payments, etc. Total cost to insurer in regard to covering that particular model. And they are using past historical data.

My recent accident will count against Sonata for insurance reporting purposes. Even though other guy at fault and ticketed.
  • Options
    deriksonderikson Member Posts: 2
    I am considering trading in my '00 Sonata GLS, package 11, for a van due to bigger toting requirements. Was curious to know if anyone has information about what I can expect to get for trade-in value or selling myself. It currently has 10,000 miles on it and is in great shape.

Sharp car, but have had my share of problems with stalling at idle since I got it. The air flow sensor seems to be the culprit, but after 3 replacements, I'm not sure what else to do. Is there a chance it could be a different problem since the previous sensors couldn't have all been defective. I might take it to a different dealership to get a fresh perspective on what might be causing the problem.
  • Options
    greg_ggreg_g Member Posts: 9
    MY SONATA SUDDENLY STALLED OUT THIS PAST WED. EVE. ON FRIDAY THE SERVICE DEPT.TOLD ME IT WAS THE AIR FLOW SENSOR AND IT WAS REPLACED. YOUR POST MAKES ME A LITTLE WORRIED THAT THIS COULD BE A CHRONIC PROBLEM. IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE 2000 GLS?
  • Options
    dunn3dunn3 Member Posts: 29
    the nhtsa recently rated the side impact crash test scores very favorably. I believe that it was give na 4 and 5 star rating for front and rear seat occupants respectively, but this is just a guess since what I'm telling you is from memory. I think that it is overall a safe car and the sonata received an "acceptable" rating from the IHSA (?) which is their second highest score. It came in only slightly behind the accord, but it is difficult to say this car is better that that one unless there are huge differences in ratings. Remember, just try to drive safely :)
    By the way, my car has reached 3500 miles and she's doing great, I've had no major problems.
  • Options
    dylbrenadylbrena Member Posts: 7
    My husbands 2000 GLS (7,500 miles) also has a stalling problem which the dealer could not diagnose. They said they couldn't find anything/didn't do it for them. Friday, something happened that the car couldn't go over 20MPH (even if the accelerator was floored). He drove it immediately to the dealer so they could see what it was doing. They hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and got 3 or 4 different codes they had to look up because they said the hadn't seen them. One turns out to be a transmission code. Not sure what the others are. They told him to leave the car and it might be a few days. Can't wait to hear what all the problems are.
  • Options
    Would everyone of the previous posters with this problem please report your vehicle build date sometime? The info. is located on the black and silver plaque on the drivers' side door frame near the bottom.
    Most of this is related to the Airflow Mass sensor but usually it is the Harness which needs attending to. It is subject to strain which affects connection. The harness needs a tie-back near the connector to help it maintain proper connection.
    If you are having dealer problems with this issue tell them to check the NHTSA site for the TSB on this.

Dylbrena---your several codes may be related to the one episode as fall-out. Let us know what the dealer reports.

For all interested, go to www.T-H-C.org and check out the Sonata forum. There are many previous posts on this and other issues of concern.
  • Options
    seajayseajay Member Posts: 1
    Dear poor wuhool:

I was astonished to see your comments (#683 & #693 posted on Topic #3325, Hyundai Sonata2) about ‘95 Sonata, especially complaints about its value and low-quality paint. How can you have those prejudices by a few unidentified clues? If you owned the '95 Sonata from the beginning and knew about the whole history of the car, that’s the other matter. But you bought the car from a sap, as you called. Do you get maintenance reports from him or a file of receipts that proves he paid for the proper maintenance of the car? No one knows how he drove the car or even whether he experienced an accident or repainted it for better look. I’m not sure your case is similar to mine, but please hear my story:

I have droved a pre-owned ‘94 Camry (4-cyliner) for four month. I was satisfied for a moment about the price ($7k) and external conditions until I found that the car was repainted. The paint was scratched easily on surface and torn off from the rough edges of parts. After I drove the car for a few months, I felt the transmission and noise of engine was terrible. Fortunately, however, before it almost stops I managed to change the badly ruined oils and paid hundreds of bucks for entire system checks. I also had to change a broken inner door handle and still have to care for defrost wire. Now my car drives a little smoothly but still roars because of irreversible wears in engines and transmissions. I still don’t know this car experienced any accident before, but it reminded me how important is the maintenance of a car, no matter what the quality of a car is. I’ve never been complained to Toyota or about the value of Camry itself. I just feel I paid reasonable money for the badly maintained car.
  • Options
    dylbrenadylbrena Member Posts: 7
    Well, they're putting a new transmission in our 6-month-old, <8k mile Sonata. They were first looking to put a re-built transmission in, but they told us they were so back ordered, they would have to go with a new one. That didn't sound good. I didn't want a transmission that may have died with 80k miles on it being rebuilt and put in our < 8k mile car. Thank God there were none available or that would've been a fight. We'll see how it runs when we get it back.
  • Options
    Please report the build date of your Sonata when you get the car back. These things need to be tracked. Thanks.
  • Options
    I am having a terrible time locating a base 4 cyl w/no pkgs in Wht Pearl or Lt Moss. I found a plain white" 4 cyl. in fact its on there showrrom floor and never has been on the road and the salesman offered it at $16,844 total drive off. Need opinions on the price, that would put the price of the car at about 15,500. This is a 2000 model. Not sure if this is good enough, but with NO SONATAS available, I don't know what to do. The regular white is not my favorite, I would rather have pearl white. Are the 2001 starting to show up at the dealerships??? Do you think they will have any promotions on them? thanks for any help. I also called my insurance compamny (State Farm) and the insurance on the sonata is going to be cheaper than a Nissan Altima, because of the price of replacement parts (this is how they guage rates, she said). Just a little info. Thanks
  • Options
    Sounds kinda steep to me. My dealers down to 3 Sonatas from a high of 28 just a month ago.
    You didn't specify whether auto or stick. If manual I definitely think the price is too high. If you can wait, get a '01. They should be coming very soon. Supplies of '00's are disappearing faster than gold in a recession.
    Because of the success of the new Sonata, it is difficult to predict what Hyundai will do as far as promos. I would suspect the usual $1000 or special financing trade-off.
  • Options
    Believe Astrol is dead on in his response. Methinks the price a bit high. Supplies are low. And the car business is a function of supply and demand. I'd wait for an '01. Pay a bit more now, though not too much, but save on the depreciation.

Also, who knows what sorts of incentives Hyundai might use this fall to move the iron. Since the Sonata had no changes, there won't be a big rush from buyers to buy an unchanged car. And all the action will be with XG300 and Santa Fe.
  • Options
    ryan41ryan41 Member Posts: 21
    So far so good, 10500 miles on my napoli blue sonata with the 4cyl engine, only trouble was that gas valve thing which took them 10 minutes to replace no trouble since. The only other comment about the car is does anyone with the 4cyl notice with the a/c on the car is very, very slow, my previous elantra with a smaller 4cyl seemed ok with the a/c on which is why I didn't hesitate to buy this one?