Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    I picked up my new '02 EX in Nighthawk Black this weekend. This is my first Honda, and I'm really attracted to the CR-V's level of performance and overall design.

I've enjoyed the postings which were helpful to me while I was deciding whether to get the CR-V, but I was dissappointed by how little information there was on pricing.

In the hope that it will help others who are still in negotiation: after a lot of haggling with a few different sources I've just taken delivery of an '02 EX from a central New Jersey dealership under a Chase Manhattan 36 month/12K mi per year lease with a total due on singing of $700.00 and monthly payments of $320.00 including tax; excess mileage is 15 cents/mi; and there's a $300.00 disposition fee at the end of the lease. If I can be of any help to anyone by going through the cap cost, residual, etc., just let me know.
  • Options
    rajsaha1rajsaha1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    That trick worked great on my 2001 Civic.
    I had a question though to help out my friend. Do you know any tricks for the Dodge Caravan? Specifically how to keep the recirculate button on after turning the A/c on.
    I would also like the same trick for the Civic if you know and can help. You can email me at rajeevsaha46250@yahoo.com
    Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All week there's been a bunch of posts around Town Hall saying you can email me at ______. If we all start emailing, there won't be much left to read around here except questions!

Don't blame us if the spambots grab your emails and start sending you junk - best to mark your email public in your profile to avoid that risk. Or maybe folks like getting "Extend Your Warranty Now!!!!" emails every day?

/rant ;-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    And btw, I briefly saw a CR-V this am with cladding on the back. I'm assuming the '03s are on the streets? Next thing you know I'm behind an Avalanche. I'm not sure I'm happy about that stuff, but there is less sheet metal to wax. Saw my first new Mini today too - no cladding on that!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    By those criteria, no car is reliable. Toyota, Ford, GM, DCX, Hyundai... All have had substantial issues recently. I guess we should all ride bicycles. =)

pql1 - Pricing information tends to change from region to region. Also dealers use various trickery to grab dollars here and there. The best source for pricing information is to use Edmunds articles and data. What we post here often does not apply to everyone.

Anyway... thanks for sharing your info!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not only less sheet metal to wax, but also easier cleaning, more dent resistance, no paint chipping, no scratches, etc. Like Saturn but even better because it's not painted.

I like the cladding - it brings the belt-line up, and sort of flows into the high reaching cladding on the D-pillar.

varmint: nope, my bicycle needed the gears adjusted recently. Unacceptable. You have to walk! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    nope, my bicycle needed the gears adjusted recently. Unacceptable. You have to walk! ;-)

Which raises the issues of acceptable tread wear, ankle support, impact cushioning, insulation, and waterproofing for competing shoe models and brands.

;)
  • Options
    No walking, either? I give up. Why don't we just surf the web...
  • Options
    Viruses...

You just can't win. You'll never be 100% safe.

-juice
  • Options
    You're not questionning the reliability of my finely crafted Microsoft IE browser, are you? :-p
  • Options
    Oh yeah, those never crash. I've never seen that blue screen, neither has Bill Gates (*).

-juice

* remember COMDEX? LOL
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    DO NOT get me started on Microsoft! I'd end up setting an extremely bad example by going way off topic.

But I do suppose we can make it relevant:

If Hondas were like Windows they would ________ (fill in the blank!)

Examples would be:

(a) take 4 minutes to start,

(b) stall unexpectedly on the highway

(c) not need air conditioners due to frequent freezing

etc.!

tidester, host
  • Options
    In the interest of equal time, I like Bill :-)

Chrysler, however, is going Linux for, I kid you not, crash testing simulation. Slashdot.org had a funny thread about it yesterday. Allow me to steal a joke from there:

Four Town Hallies rode in a CR-V; a mechnical engineer, an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a computer engineer. The CR-V stalled out (no fair sticking your own Ford jokes in here).

The mechnical engineer said it must be the pistons, let's repair them and we'll be okay.

The electrical engineer said it has to be the spark plugs, we'll replace them and be ready to roll.

The chemical engineer said it's got to be bad gas, we'll flush the system and be on our way.

They turned to the computer engineer. What do you think we should do?

Let's get out of the car and get back in.

badda boom...

Steve, Host

• Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "The auto trannys affected were from the Odyssey, MDX, TL, CL, and some Preludes. Maybe some Accords, IIRC."

The MDX was not in the list. At least not yet. It (and the Pilot) haven't had that distinction.

Accords were affected.
  • Options
    bsheebshee Member Posts: 1
    I am waiting for the 2003 models to hit the showroom and I am hearing maybe October, maybe November. Does anyone have a more definitive word?
  • Options
    So how long has the cladding been on the back of CR-V's? Today was the first time I've really noticed it.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    PekesPekes Member Posts: 6
    Greetings to you CR-V fans & owners.

We are currently considering purchasing/leasing a new CR-V (EX). My wife will be the primary driver and she likes this vehicle.

We currently have a '99 Sienna which has been practically flawless. However our lease is up and we have to make a decision whether to buy it or trade for something else.

We originally bought the van as a people mover since we tend to do most of the driving when it comes to taking the kid's friends and our in-laws anywhere. The van space has been very useful. But our needs are evolving and we think we could get by with something a little smaller. Our girls are skiing now so we are making more trips up the mountain.

Another reason we are considering making a change: my wife once spun-out with the van going down the highway during a summer rain -no damage other than being scared to pieces - could have been the tires (since changed) or oil on the road - point is, she doesn't feel completely sure-footed driving the van.

I confess I'm really a Toyota fan, but the Rav seems too small and the Highlander seems too much in both price and vehicle. Besides, my wife and I both like the look of the new CR-V and it seems to be just the right size/configuration for our current & forseeable needs.

We live on Vancouver Island so we don't really see much snow other than our trips up Mt.Washington. This would be (really) our only need for a 4X4 though we might buy a small runabout boat sometime in the future. Getting a full-blown 4wd seems overkill to me. Part-time 4wd is a more realistic compromise. Fuel efficiency is important. I value a good engine and transmission. And, of course, we both value safety.

So our choice right now is to either buy and keep the van (very viable option) or change vehicles.

In summary, I'd appreciate any comments/feedback with regard to similar situations, traction-snow driving, stability, maintenance or just thoughts in general. I appreciate ownership experience.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    Varmint,

I remember that you added soundproofing to your CRV. I have read somewhere that the new CRV is approximate 65 decibel at 60mph. I realize this is very subjective but do you have a guesstimation when you added the dynamat how many decibels it lower you road noise.

Slow43
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I have a 2002 CRV-EX with about 10K, and I love it. I also had a 98 CRV before this. I would recommend the new CRV highly, but have some comments about your situation.

As far as stability goes, I'd sugggest that your wife's spinout occurred because of the situation you described, and not because of any inherent stability problem with your Sienna. While the CRV is a fairly stable platform for an SUV, it has a shorter wheelbase than your Sienna, and a higher center of gravity. So, it won't actually be any safer than your current vehicle, but that might not really matter, if your wife feels the Sienna is unsafe. Those are hard feelings to get over.

As far as towing, I would never buy a CRV, if I planned on towing anything. Don't let the realtime 4WD fool you. 99% of the time, it is a front wheel drive vehicle just like your van. The largest thing I would consider towing, if necessary is a seadoo.

On the positive side, the CRV has much more room inside than you would think, very good power and handling for its class, and my experience shows great reliability on par with Honda's reputation.

You will be hard pressed to find a better value at this price point.

Good luck..I paid $1000 under sticker back in April for my 2002 CRV-EX

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for the correction, William. Bottom line is the troll was plain wrong.

For towing, get a 4Runner if you can afford it.

-juice
  • Options
    pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    Both a leasing agent and the auto finance manager at my credit union tell me the '03 CR-V's will hit dealer inventories during November.
  • Options
    Steve - The 2nd gen CR-V has always come with cladding above the "bumper" on the back. There is optional side cladding that can be added.

Pekes - I agree with kyfdx on the spin-out. Moving to the CR-V would not correct such a situation. It's difficult to compare with a minivan, but the CR-V did earn highest marks in all safety-related crash tests. So, on that front, you're pretty well covered.

Towing a small boat should not be a problem. 1,500lbs covers most small boats/trailers. Bass boats and the like are actually quite light-weight.

I think the CR-V sounds perfect for you, but are you willing to pay the cost. In the end, I don't think you'll be gaining much by trading for the CR-V. The Sienna lacks 4WD, but it sounds like you don't need it much. A good set of snow tires would do the trick. The CR-V is more capable offroad, but, again, do you need that? The CR-V gets great gas mileage for its class, but not compared to the Sienna.

Slow43 - I have mixed feelings about the Dynamat upgrade. I spent about $300 on Dynamat Premium and a hood liner, which effectively reduced road noise (a bit). Now I can hear the engine clearly. I'm not sure that's an improvement. While the dB levels may have been reduced the quality of sound is still a factor.

BTW, my CR-V is a 1999 model, so the sound is very different than anything you'll hear in the new ones.
  • Options
    Thanks Varmint - I don't remember my brother's CR-V having any cladding. Next you'll be telling me that Caddies don't have fins anymore....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    A quiet ride is very important to me. You have given me something to think about.
    Again, Thanks
    Slow
  • Options
    PekesPekes Member Posts: 6
    kyfdx & varmint:

Thanks for your input.

You're right that the spinout was an isolated incident and could've happened in any vehicle. She wants to change vehicles - I'm just trying to reason it out.

I was asking about traction in snow since I'd read slightly mixed comments regarding the CR-V realtime 4wd, especially the standard transmission. In any event, we are looking at an automatic and I'm sure it's still better than a strictly FWD vehicle, like our van - particularly for, say, climbing a grade in snow or pulling a boat & trailer up a ramp.

We towed a 2000 pop-up trailer with the van, somewhat successfully (thank God we had trailer brakes) The physics of that could have been better.

The most I would ever consider towing with a CR-V would be 1000 lbs max.

One last point, the dealer has a few '02s about $1500-$2000 (CDN) less than '03s - better deal or not?
  • Options
    A quiet ride is very important to me. You have given me something to think about.
    Again, Thanks
    Slow
  • Options
    2002hondas2002hondas Member Posts: 18
    Pekes: I think the '02 is a better deal. If you get a new '02 or a new '03, the only difference would be the year (and maybe a color change or two). So, if you're planning to buy now, get the '02, especially if you can get a discount. A dealer in my area (Northern California), just marked up the '02's they have almost $1k!. Good luck!
  • Options
    cgphil1cgphil1 Member Posts: 29
    There is a dealer here in the Boston area on the Automile who lists a 2003 Satin Silver Met/Black EX on his website with a Dealer cost of $20,480 and MSRP of $22,860
  • Options
    Pekes - There's a whole other thread regarding RT4WD (among other things). Search on CR-V and you should find it.

2002Hondas - Good idea for the buyer who keep the vehicle for a long time, but the 2003 model will maintain better resale for the short term owner. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    2002hondas2002hondas Member Posts: 18
    The '03 will be worth more than the '02 the minute it's driven off the dealer lot. That said, it depends on how long Pekes plans on keeping the vehicle. If short term, you've got to weigh the increased price versus the increased amount upon trade-in or sale. I was thinking Pekes was thinking long-term - In that case, I believe the '02 would be a better deal because he'll be paying less for the vehicle right away, and by the time the vehicle is sold or traded-in, Honda will change body style (usually every 4 to 5 years), and the value will be fairly close to the '03 (since it's basically the same vehicle). Honda is infamous for making major model changes every few years and small changes (i.e. headlight design, tail light design, different rims, colors available, etc.), within the range of the "new model". Meaning, the difference between the '02 and '03 CR-V is minimal. I expect small changes for '04, too. Who knows for 2005, though - maybe a new and re-re-redesigned CR-V. I might be ready to trade in my '02 by then....
  • Options
    wyorebwyoreb Member Posts: 45
    re: the posts about gas mileage with the a/c on. my mileage has actually gone down from the 28 i was getting in august. the last two fill ups have yielded ~26 mpg. i think this is due to the colder weather and the smog fighting reformulated gas that they start shipping in oct. thus, i conclude that my mileage is better in the summer and 40-50% a/c usage vs. the colder fall months w/o the a/c on at all. i wouldn't be at all surprised if i lose another mpg or 2 between now and the coldest time of the year in late dec/jan.

one other quirky thing i've noticed on these cold mornings. even with the heater vent setting on floor mode, i still get a fair amount of warm air coming out of the dash vents. i would expect that on the bi-level setting but not on the floor vent setting. not a big deal, but it's the first car that i've had where the ducting doesn't direct the air as designed.
  • Options
    seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    in our 2002 crv already...

Although we've been thinking of trying to sell while we're waiting for delivery of the new vehicle. How much do you think I could sell it for private party? It's an LX auto awd with only 11000 miles. We added tint, alloys, and leather with heated seats. The dealer is giving us an offer based (on what I think) mostly on the car itself and disregarding anything we've added to the car (About $2500). Which I can understand, since they can only get so much on loan for a certain make/model.

They offered $17500. With the tax advantage in CO it comes out to about selling (at my tax rate) $18200 private party. When I try to sell it privately, I'd like it to be worth my while, so do you think asking $19,500 is reasonable???

Does it sound like too much??? They sell for $20,000 new, and I put in $2500 extra stuff. I would like it priced attractively. And I believe the warranty follows the car, but will have to check with Honda.

I'd like any and all opinions as to what sounds like a reasonable price to sell our CRV, keeping in mind that it has leather heated seats, tint, 16" alloy wheels, plus a few more add ons.

Thanks
  • Options
    You may want to try the Real-World Trade-In Values discussions if you don't like the opinions you get in here :-)

Steve, Host

• Options
    seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    I'll give that a try.
  • Options
    handsome44handsome44 Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up my new Red 2002 CRV LX Manual Trans yesterday. Got it at Lia Honda in Albany NY-- got $800 off MSRP + Del Chg. Probably because it came in with the New 2003 CRV's. Strange thing is that up to a week ago, all other dealers in the area would't go less than MSRP.
    Anyway, Got $800 off and the 2002 costs af few hundred less than the 2003, so I saved good bucks.
    Love the Ride of the vehicle. The steering is so light that my pinky can rotate it. Handling is tight and secure. Brakes and acceleration are good, seats are slightly stiff but I expect they will break in. Lots and lots of room below, above and around. Stereo is fabulous and it's not even the high end 6cd changer model. I'm a happy camper (But I miss my old friend that I drove for 12.5 years--91 accord LX). Anyway, I need some help.. I really would like to have keyless remote added and as well as remote start. Honda only offers the keyless entry which I found out I can get over the internet and add myself. But the remote start has to come from aftermarket. I found a local stereo/electronic store that will add the remote start but they require I sign a liability waiver. They explained that the car will start and move forward if it is ever left in gear or accidently pushed in gear. I know to put on the manual brake and can religiously try to always leave it in neutral but I am human and therefore subject to making a mistake. I really want the keyless entry and remote start but have hit a brick wall. I also find that if I let the Accessory store install these items, I void the new car warranty. Any suggestions?
    P.S Also, what's latest with getting armrests for the driver and passenger front seats?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I found a local stereo/electronic store that will add the remote start but they require I sign a liability waiver. They explained that the car will start and move forward if it is ever left in gear or accidently pushed in gear. I know to put on the manual brake and can religiously try to always leave it in neutral but I am human and therefore subject to making a mistake. I really want the keyless entry and remote start but have hit a brick wall.

The reason they require the waiver is so that if (when?) you make a mistake you can't sue them because you leave the vehicle in gear, use the remote starter, and it hits something.

I also find that if I let the Accessory store install these items, I void the new car warranty.

My understanding of the warranty laws is that the warranty can be voided only if the manufacturer can prove that what you (or the accessory store) did to the vehicle caused whatever problem you're trying to get the manufacturer to cover under warranty. For example, should the accessory store make a mistake during in the installation of the remote starter and damage your vehicle the damage would not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. I'm not a lawyer, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I was starting to wonder if it was just my CRV...I also get a fair amount of air coming out of vents that are supposed to be disabled. I hadn't noticed it until recently, since i've had the heat on the floor setting when I've been able to drive it. Anyone else have this happen?
  • Options
    trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    I have had my '02 CRV for 6 months now (Canadian Silver EX) and it has been excellent. Only one "complaint" -- I get a clunk from the brakes the first time I apply them after changing direction (i.e. changing from reverse to forward or vice versa). Lots written on this subject here, so I don't need to go into it again. I plan to mention it to the service advisor next time, but I don't plan to push it.

Two apparent production glitches -- the rear window cleaner fluid nozzle is loose and wobbles, and will be replaced under warranty. Second, the seam between the orange and the red parts of one tail light lens has cracked and is letting in water. To my knowledge, there has been no impact, and there is no evidence of impact, so it should also be replaced under warranty.

Mileage has been about what I expected (overall average of about 9.6 litres per 100 km, or about 24.3 miles/US gal if my arithmetic is right). I finally unloaded my 1994 Caravan, so we are happily down to a one vehicle family. Thanks to all for their stories and advice -- keep it up!
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    As you set the air to the floor some air will be diverted to the side windows this is to keep the driver and passenger windows clear of moist or for keeping it for fogging up.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    v/r
    fig.
  • Options
    spider99spider99 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I were deliberating between the 2003 Camry-XLE and the 2003 Honda CRV-EX. We decided on the CRV-EX. Ours is Chianti Red. Love it. Just took delivery yesterday. I have been following this post for about 5 months now. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Spider,

Congradulations on your new purchase! I think you will be very happy with your decision.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...in my 3 Hondas, air always comes out of the 2 outermost dash vents all the time, no matter the setting.

I think it is one of Honda's design distinctions - similar to the intermittent wipers that always swipe when you release the brake pedal.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    "I think it is one of Honda's design distinctions - similar to the intermittent wipers that always swipe when you release the brake pedal."
    Is this really happens? I guess i will check mine today.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    fig.
  • Options
    ...put your wipers on the slowest intermittent speed. Bring vehicle to a stop with the brakes. When the wiper swipes and returns down, release the brake - the wiper will swipe again!!

It does it so that when you are stopped and the speed sensitive wipers go back to normal, your windshield becomes wet and spotted from the rain. When you release the brake, the car assumes you need to move and clears the windshield for you. With any luck and the right music you can make the wiper dance.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    that is cool about the windshield wipers!!! I am going to give a try later!
  • Options
    rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    Between the A/C trick and the Wiper Dance, looks like my little Rhonda Honda has Easter Eggs just like my computer! Too cool!
  • Options
    ...I don't want to be personally responsible for every Honda owner in North America going out and doing this right now!! Just think of the potential economic ramifications not to mention the possible tilting of the earth if all the vehicles are facing the same way!!
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Most dealers in my area have few 03 CR-Vs in stock and have to pay MSRP. Is this still a high demanded vehicles? I realized you won't see any new year's models from Honda until September/October. Toyota releases them as early as March/April, like 2003 Corolla and upcoming 2004 Sinenna in Spring 2003.
  • Options
    spider99spider99 Member Posts: 3
    They are just starting to trickle in now at the dealerships. Yes, they are still in high demand. We had to pay a deposit to reserve a new 2003 CRV-EX. We got ours within 2 weeks.
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2002 CRV-EX for 6 months now,So far I had to change the driver side visor,Pass.side head rest and the rubber bushings that holds the muffler.What is going on with my honda. It only has 5000 miles. Someone please help.