Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    maureenk1maureenk1 Member Posts: 11
    The 96 Honda Accord LX has 70,000 milles. Thanks, Maureen
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    $6K?

Nah. I cant buy em for that. Its' gotta be a $6,500-7,000 car at the very least.

Bill
  • Options
    maureenk1maureenk1 Member Posts: 11
    OK--so his little book is a way to convince me that he can't give me more?? I assume it was because he did give me a decent price on the leftover pathfinder.
    This was a "close" friend of my brother. I tried to tell my brother it wasn't that good of a deal!
    I did get a price of 7300 for a trade on a Tribute.
    thanks again!!!
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ....... Ok ... let's see what trouble you got us into this time Ollie ----

It has 87klicks, no help there ... it's a xtra cab with a XLT pack and a 4x4 long bed diesel on a 3/4 ton frame..lot's of help there. Handshaker..no help there --- Hmmmmm, who ordered this thing ... Gunga Din..? -- l...o...l.....

Gee whiz, I remember you guys are from Alaska -- Ok, I just put on my flannel shirt and chukka boots, Ok.. now I'm ready.

If I was to hit your vehicle with a number here -- I would be thinkin' "around" the $16's ( real money )--- there is more adds and deducts on this vehicle than a Abaccus ---- But, the bottom line is - the difference figure.

This is a funny vehicle, DSL.. huge add, 6 speed ..big deduct, 4x4 and the other options Big adds, miles ..big deduct ----- But, in the land of the Iglo .. this might be a hot item ..? I have even called a friend of mine who is a Big Ford truck dealer, so we both agree on the #'s ...

Your vehicle and a couple grand or so....

Maybe this helps....

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... I agree with Bill on your Honda ... It's a $6,500+ vehicle in the dark --- I must have seen 100 run this last week at the auctions --- I didn't see any I could buy for less, unless there was a bunch of work to be done ....

What book was the salesman showing you ...? Mad magazine..?

Terry.
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    You are always good for a laugh. I am kinda glad I walked away, hindsight bein' 20/20 and all. They were in the thing $21,150 since its been there for 8 1/2 months. The other truck we looked at from a friend of mine was even more rediculous........1999 Ford F-350 x-cab, XLT, longbed, green/gray, 83K, automatic, 5th wheel hitch, diesel, 4WD......they want $25,000 firm for it......with $2,000 damage to the bed rail.

I think I will wait, I still have a month to find something. I keep tellin' hubby that I want a used Excursion.....he says I can't haul firewood with that. I say who cares?? I can still pull the horse trailer.
  • Options
    Appraise this puppy.

I'm at Imperial AA Last week waiting for my cars to come up. Sitting outside with a friend of mine.. smoking as usual...

See a clean but, for some reason, very tired looking 99 F350 Diesel Crew CabDually XLT pop up. It was smoking a little more than me...

So I stroll over..

325,000 on the clock and a well-used 5th wheel hitch.

I dunno if it even sold.

Further stupidity:

95 S350 Turbodiesel White/Palomino. Zillion stone chips on front bumper. Body looks to havehgad somelight airbrushing but otherwise really clean car. 205,000 on the clock.

They no-saled it at $13,400 and wanted $15,500. Amusing, eh? As dumb as I thought $13,400 was...

I wouldnt have put a dime over $10K in it myself....

Bill
  • Options
    ikhangikhang Member Posts: 7
    Hey Bill,

Thanks for the honest appraisal on my Explorer. I'll get the windshield replaced (is there a reason that my insurance co. would do it for free? will it increase my rates?). . .also I'll get the "check engine" light fixed at the local garage. I know the miles are a killer, but how much do you think i can expect after I fix the window and the "check engine" light?

Thanks again Bill!
  • Options
    Those sound like Alaskan rigs to me. If its a Ford truck and a diesel it will bring top dollar up here. Well, usually, a year ago hubby and I had a chance to buy a 99 Ford F-250 x-cab 4WD diesel 6-speed XLT longbed with 19K on it for $23,988, hubby wouldn't do it, he wanted to keep his 96 GMC K2500 x-cab SLE longbed diesel that had 70K on it.....now has over 83K on it. Don't worry.......he is still kicking himself.
  • Options
    sunburn9999sunburn9999 Member Posts: 2
    On that 95 Camaro....

Mileage is 58K. The vehicle has been in Dallas, TX, garage kept.
  • Options
    ....... Well at least I'm good for something .....l.....o.....l....

Me and Jerry Seinfeld ...

Terry.
  • Options
    kdhananikdhanani Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at two private individual sellers whom I both know that have a 1997 3.5 RL, 57,800 miles for approx. $17-$18, and a 1995 legend L with 74,000 miles for $12,500. My major concerns are seating three kids, two in cars seats in the back seat. I would rather save the $5K and go for the legend, but I understand the RL is a little bigger. Both are in excellent shape. Need your help with what I should pay for either. Thanks. Kerri
  • Options
    Hey, you are good for more than just a laugh. You are valuable to Edmunds Town Hall......think how boring it would be if you and Bill weren't here.

BTW, see any nice Excursion Limited (or XLT) 4WD diesels running through the auctions? I am still working on hubby, I think he will see things my way......hehehe.
  • Options
    ....... The 3.5RL, for $17/$18ish is more than a fair price .... if it's nice.

The Legend L. with 74K, is no big deal for $12,500 --- But, the best thing you can do is drive them both and find which one flips your trigger .... Like I always say .. "buy and drive what you like" ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... * You little devil you *

Excursions are like ... popcorn, they are all over the place.. 2000 Limiteds, 4WD with the TD are doing "in and around" the $27's ...

And thank you ..!

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Hey --- you sound like me. Smoke and stroll ... smoke and stroll ... smoke and stroll.. l.....o.....l......

Some of the DSL vehicles will pull some big money -- IF, you have a couple of buyers .. and they have them PRE-SOLD.

Once in awhile, I will see some of the GM's (suits on) from the Ford dealerships..in the Ford lanes, just having a good ole' time ......."Oh Yeah .. that's a good buy" -- "Let's drop $20,000 in a 100,000 mile DSL .. it will sell, look how sharp it is" ---- 2 months later, No Sale at $13,000 ..... Why is that .....l.....o.....l.....

Terry.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Wondering what I might see for a 1999 Sunfire Covertible (delivered in April of that year)with 32k miles. Auto with basically everything available for it (no real options, most everything came standard). White with a black top and in really good shape. I figure it won't be close to what I owe, but just wonder if I can even get close enough to bother stopping to look at someting new. Being fall in Western Pa. not a big market for covertibles. Thanks for any help
  • Options
    I need to shop where you shop. The only Excursions I see up here are as follows: 2000 Excursion Limited PSD 10K for $34,863 and 2000 Excursion Limited PSD 18K for $34,363. I am still thinking about that 99 F-250 PSD 6-speed, its a very nice truck and not wrecked.....a miracle in Alaska.
  • Options
    ........... Food for more thought --- If you guy's really like the vehicle, I mean really like it ... then go back, and negotiate the -- "You Know what out of him".

It's been on the lot, since Christ was a baby ... believe me, they want it to go- bye bye.. Hit em' at a absurd number, not in a nasty way, but in this sweet "we wanna buy" attitude -- and see what happens, it can't hurt.

This way, you can skip my last email ....l....o....l....

Terry.
  • Options
    jsimonejsimone Member Posts: 4
    My brother is trying to trade his 2000 Avalon in, and the dealer is telling him it's worth $20,000, after 2 days of negotiation, he moved to $21,000.

It's a XLS, with the gold pack, heated seats, 6 play cd, sunroof, wheels, leather. My brother is worse than I am, he has it cleaned and detailed about 4-5 times a year, plus he does it himself about twice a month. It's the white pearl and has the leather tan interior with 19K ---- what do you think?

JC.
  • Options
    mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    How about real money on a 2000 Caravan SE, dk green w/grey interior - beautiful condition. 29,500 miles? Quad seating, CD player. The usual A/C, PW, PL, drivers side slider, deep tinted glass, etc.

Mark
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    This time for myself. I am planning to trade in my 2000 Accord SE (4 cyl) with 14600 miles for a 2001 Accord EX V6 with 18,000 miles. Please suggest what do you think I should expect on 'both' the fronts....i.e trade-in & 2001 EX V6 ?? Thanks in Advance !!
  • Options
    slemke7slemke7 Member Posts: 6
    I am probably going to have to buy two new larger cars to replace my current ones. I was curious about their wholesale value.

One is a 2000 BMW 323i, white, tan leatherette, 5 sp, sunroof, 31K. It is in very nice condition.

The other car is 96 Integra SE, silver, gray leather, 5 sp, 94K. It is nearly perfect and flawlessly maintained. I know the miles hurt both.

Scott
  • Options
    ikhangikhang Member Posts: 7
    Great info guys. . .

Can either Bill or Terry give me a rough idea of how much I can expect to get on a trade for a 97 Explorer EB AWD 5.0 V8? It's fully loaded, with 129,000 miles. I realize that this will not go on the dealers lot and will likely go straight to auction. Do you know how much this would get at auction? Just want to get a fair accessment so both me and the salesperson can get a good deal.

Thanks for your time!
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    From another thread into a more appropriate one:

2000 Focus SE sedan, Sangria Red, 14,600 miles, CD player, power windows, locks, mirrors, zetec engine, 5-speed, CD player, non-smoker (has sunglass tray instead of ashtray), keyless entry, excellent condition.

I've been lead to believe that this car is worthless. Maybe I shouldn't trade it in, keep it and have some real fun with it (turbo, etc.) in the local autocross meets. I've been wanting to try that stuff out...
  • Options
    black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    Can I get a guestimate on a 2001 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed black over black cloth with sunroof, spoiler, fog lights, power pack, CD, and factory 16" rims? 4,000 miles. The location is GA. I am actually not going to be in the market for another car (probably an RSX, Accord, CL, or IS) until late next year but I would like an idea of how much this thing is depreciating.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Bill already gave you a number. He thinks it's in the 6000-6500 range in CA.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Just an update on my friend's purchase of the '97 Plymouth Grand Voyageur with the 60klicks, listed for $14,999+ ttl. After much badgering and back-and-forth "negotiation", she finally relented (wilted in my books) to an OTD price of $12,500, which meant the car sold for ca. $11,000-ish. I say that is outrageous, but she was dead set on buying it, and the dealership knew it. Behind my back she went in did the deal.... I was ashamed of it, really, 'cos I felt she threw good money away on a dead horse.... Geez ! How couldn't she see this ? But it's her money...

BTW, what would you guys estimate for a '99 ES300 with 48k miles, leather (should that not be standard ?), 6-cd changer, slider, etc.... ???
  • Options
    I'll get these in the AM...

Promise!

Bill
  • Options
    oac: I've run into the same thing. You try to help somebody with one thing or another and they end up screwing themselves anyway. At one point in time my fiance had a Honda Civic that he was getting rid of .. his sister needed a car but she said that she didn't want his. So we sold it to my sister. Then after we got back from taking my sister the Honda wouldn't you know that his sister and her mother had gone out and bought a Civic just like the one that he was willing to give her. She had bought it at a dealer, financed it through them at 21% interest, and had to pay full coverage insurance on a 90 Civic.

Believe it or not leather and the sunroof was not standard on the ES always. Not sure if it was in 99. But I remember a 96-97 ES300 with no roof/leather/CD. But it was cheap.
  • Options
    .... How are you this evening ..?

So it's a 99 ES300, with 48 klicks ( that's a little steep ) ..color..?

Ok, lets say it's silver on grey .. knee deep in rubber, nice vehicle except for the miles ... you are in and around the $18's... maybe, just maybe it might crawl to $19 if it's puuurrrfect and needs -0- (real money) .. retail end would be like $21ish ...

Terry.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    How am I, you ask ? Lousy I'd say... I am still smarting from that ridiculous purchase by my friend. I mean what else can I do ? I gave her your numbers (printed the pages from here), gave her Black Book, Edmund's TMV, and KBB, yet she screws up and over pays... Just ridiculous...

Argghhhhhhhh ! Got that out of my system now...

The Lex is black on black...a couple dings (nothing major) and listed for $23,500 at the dealership. Friend wants to pay $20k, and the dealer said NO. Think he can reconsider and offer $21k+ttl ?

Thanks, as always....
  • Options
    ... The vehicle has only 4,000 miles ..?

These are nice vehicles ... a lot of bang for the buck --- ES, with a roof and no miles, thats a big plus -- A handshaker, the kiss of death --- oh well, you are in the $11's --- just some food for thought, there is a lot of vehicles out there, IS's are not setting any speed records. They have a short owner life span -- try door number 2 ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... $21ish is all the money in the world ---- and if the dealer say's no --- try door number 3 ... l...o...l...

Good luck ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ..... It's a SE... right ..?

Oh My, not another meatclever ... well at least it's the right color, and the miles are right --- so my friend you are in the zipcode of the 8's ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Well it seems like your brother is doing business with "Mickey Mouse" motors ----

If this Avalon is as clean as you are telling us ..... You may want to find a dealer, that still isn't using rotorary phones ....

It's a XLS, with no miles -- and if it has no parking lot kisses, and in still in the "wrapper", and shows 2002 -- then this vehicle will do all of $23ish -- if not, I will come myself, and strike you a reader for it ..

I hope this helps...

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... I will stop back in tommorow, it's been a loooong day at the auction today ..

So now it's time for me to get my bankey ... and go nah nah --- l....o....l...

Lights out ...

Terry.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    any 2000/2001 lincoln LS V8's, right miles/color with all the goodies at the auctions you attend?? prices??

The numbers here in CT and NY have been nutty...I'm standing there like the statue of liberty and the numbers run right up to retail.

Rich
  • Options
    I'm not in a big hurry to dump the Protege. At the very least I want to wait and see how the 03 Accords come out. If Honda messes them up I will probably end up in a CL-S or the RSX-S. I was interested in the new MB C230 coupe but after a recent test drive I was not impressed enough to drop $30,000 on one. While I probably would've bought one if the dealer had the right car and I had the cash in my pocket .. it would've been a straight impulse buy because on hindsight I really didn't like the car.

I'm hoping late next year around Christmas when I am ready to buy the Protege will be worth at least $9500-$10,000. Maybe even get lucky and sell it private owner. That 0.0% is a lifesaver on that negative equity.
  • Options
    The PM...

OK.

jsimone: Y2K Avalon? 19K? Pearl White? Looks like new? Never seen the inside of a bodyshop? Try closer to $22,500+++

mellis: Is that a base 4cyl? Or a V6 Grand? Or?

slemke7: I'm thinking about $21,000 to $21,500 on the 323i and about $5,500 or so on the Integra

tiredofmanual: I'm thinking right at $9,000 is a bit of a push... But I'd hit it around $8,300-8,500..at 9k youre really doing well.
    Rich, yeah I sees em. Dont you guys need heated seats in yours though? Figure the few I have seen with like 18-20K are doing like $22Kish down here for 00s, and when I see 01s with like 10K theyre around $25-26Kish...

That 99 ES with highish miles? (48K) $18K wholesale kills it IMHO if its' Black/Black (Although I have a Florida mentality).

$21K damn well better buy it IMHO.

blackcoupe: $11K is what I also think.

Bill
  • Options
    nectalover1nectalover1 Member Posts: 15
    What does the Trade in value of a 2001 Toyota MR2 look like? It has 10,500 Miles on it. Thanks for any info you can give to me. Late
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I guess I'm bound to be dissapointed when it comes time to trade it in. Why did I have to be a poor college student with a job offer and just enough money to buy a new car? Dang money. It makes you do stupid things.
  • Options
    Hmm..

Methinks that the car is worth around $21K or so right now..

Bill
  • Options
    williamshimwilliamshim Member Posts: 40
    Question, I have a 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 T. Silver with Premium Pk (wood trim, power top, fog lights, leather), On board computer, single CD, Heated seat & mirror and manual with about 15K miles, and friend of mine has same equipment and miles but an Auto (Steptronic) tranny. What would be the trade-in values? I'm interested in new M vehicle while he wants an Audi S4... Thanks.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Again helping a friend buying this car.....Please suggest what you think of it ? It is Dark Green with 34000 miles.
  • Options
    nectalover1nectalover1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info that is great to know. I think a trade in deal would be far less hastlement then me trying to sell it my self for the extra grand or so it might bring me. Anyway thanks again.
  • Options
    williamshimwilliamshim Member Posts: 40
    Fogot to add the interior... Both of them have Red with black trim. Philadelphia area.
  • Options
    maktarmaktar Member Posts: 2
    hello all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, and I have been trying to get some info:

I have a 95 Accord Ex, roof, 6cd changer, wheels, 90K, perfect interior, new tires. Great car, few little dings in door. What would be a fair price?

I keep reading about the auction. Are these dealer only auctions or the general auto type?

I have heard of people that have the dealer auction and will buy the car for you, and you pay them. Is this true/legal? if so, any in CA Bay area?

thanks for any help.

Mike
  • Options
    mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    The 2000 Caravan is a short wheelbase SE model with the 3.3l engine.

Mark
  • Options
    ....... Good morning how are you ...?

Clean ..12/15/19K 2000 V8, LS's, loaded up with the sport pack, slider, are doing in and around $23 -- 01's are doing not much more..$25ish..

If you are in need of them.. hook up to Manheim.com -- they are all over the Manheim auction, I musta seen at least 50 in the last 2 wks ..If you need a bunch of them at one time, Detroit Metro auction.

I hope this helps ...

Terry.