Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Vibe Maintenance & Repair Concerns

Comments

• Options
    LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Toyota Matrix have a TSB on "ambient light sensor"
    Will this fix our headlight sensor on/off on/off feature?

EL007-02 NOV 02 Lighting - Ambient Light Sensor Improvement

data from alldata.com

Nothing on Pontiac Vibe yet.

Anyone get any answers from their P-Vibe dealers?
    This been out since Nov, 02.
  • Options
    The TSB is confirmed by nipponly on a Toyota link.

Do we need to campaign the GM ppl to get their act together.
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    North Carolina requires an inspection sticker placed in the lower left corner of the windshield, which happens to be right over the light sensor on the dash. This, of course, drove me crazy because the dash lights dimmed and brightened constantly, depending on whether the sun was shining on the sensor, or blocked by the sticker. Now I just set the dial to the brightest setting and leave it there. At least that way, the dash lights are bright all the time. Anyone know why do they have this sensor in the first place? Doesn't seem to be practical, especially in NC.
  • Options
    I think most states have a sticker there.

I hope the new sensor works for you - once GM issues a TSB.

For now, would leaving lights on be better to avoid burning out quicker because of too many on/ off's?
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    In Massachusetts the sticker fortunately is in the lower corner on the passenger side of the windshield. Thanks, nippononly, for the info on the new sensor. Next time my Matrix is due for an oil change, I'll schedule it far enough in advance so they can address the sensor issue at the same time.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the system works almost 100% now. It still has trouble deciding right around the twilight hour, so if you drive right when sundown is happening, it is better to turn them on at the stalk, rather than having them flicking on and off.

But the new sensor/TSB is definitely the way to go!

If you have the old sensor still, I would recommend turning on the lights all the time - not only will this be less hard on the bulbs and the charging system, but there is that little solenoid under the dash that has to turn every time the lights go on and off too...imagine if that dies, the pain it would be going under the passenger-side dash to try and replace it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    dragwaydragway Member Posts: 34
    What type of headlight bulbs does the Vibe use?

H4

Any one know

thanks
  • Options
    greyhound3greyhound3 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my new Vibe for about 2000 miles now and no mechanical problems have come up at all. But I noticed a decidedly "rotten egg" smell sometimes when stopped at a stop light. I've heard from someone tied into GM that this is a caralytic converter smell. I don't know if it will go away in time or be a recurring problem.

Anyone else have this?

Did it go away?
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    I had it on several cars when new (dealer told me it was the catalytic converter), but smell went away within 500 miles. However, I don't remember any smell on my Matrix (now over 14K miles). It probably did have it, but I don't remember.
  • Options
    the rotten eggs smell on my Matrix, but I am in California, and we have the low sulfur gas, so it is not likely I would have had it here anyway.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I changed my oil this weekend.
    Didn't need no ramps.
    Just had to realize the earl filter was black and in front of mah eyes.

8 minutes to change earl and filter.
    10 minutes to clean my hands from the earl leaking from the filter.
  • Options
    greyhound3greyhound3 Member Posts: 2
    The weather has turned warmer and I've got some more miles on the car and the smell has disappeared. Apparently there's a break-in period for the converter. Good news...
  • Options
    xr5speedxr5speed Member Posts: 13
    Will you settle for a Martrix owner who tried to buy a Vibe? The regional Pontiac dealers would not cooperate with my local dealer in order to get me one with the features I desired.
  • Options
    pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    i really appreciate your offer to assist, but my editors requested that i speak only to vibers for the purpose of this article. thanks though
  • Options
    rob139rob139 Member Posts: 5
    i have a vibe gt and have been very happy with it, except for an annoying buzzy rattle btwn about 2000-4000 rpm. Worse in the cold. It sounds like it is coming from center backside of dash by wind shield. Could defrost vents have something lose that can be tightened or fixed. I havent taken it to the dealer, its pretty minor, but for a new car and an obsessive person it can get to me. I just have the regular moons and tunes package sing cd player, i read somewhere of someone feeling the 6 disc cd played causing a similar noise.
      Any thoughts on what i should do? i have tried holding the grates over the vents while driving and this doesnt stop sound. thanks
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Hi again Rob: the shushing noise heard in the dash involved the standard one disk player. When you played a CD and hit the brakes, the shushing noise started (but only if a CD was in the machine and playing). That doesn't sound like the same noise you were describing. Ironically, the replacement CD player does not make that noise for some reason. I would have figured they were the exact same thing since I was one of the first Vibe owners.
  • Options
    jclneojclneo Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Vibe in Sept 2002. I only have 4000 Miles on the Vibe and I am fairly satisfied with it, except...

I do most of the work on my cars myself. I am somewhat of a preventative maintence "nut".

After its purchase, I looked the car over well, top to bottom, locating components, filters, etc. but I could not locate a gasoline filter.

After several inquiries to Pontiac Dealers, no one could tell me where the gasoline filter was located and even if the car had one. Finally after a lengthy call to GM Customer service and their subsequent call to a "friendly" GM dealer I was finally told that the Vibe's gasoline filter was inside the gasoline tank and that the only way to change it was to remove the Gasoline tank. They said that the cost of the filter is $60. and Labor to install it would be at least $200.

Hey what gives GM?!!

Gasoline filters plug up on a regular basis. GM should have Designed an inline filter that is easy to change. Considering that even GM admits that the quality of Gasoline in the U.S. has fallen in the last decade, gasoline filters should be easy and inexpensive to change.

What does anyone else think?
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    This is a Toyota design, not GM, since the Vibe is really a 100% Toyota with GM styling. Toyota has used this design on the Corolla since 1998, and I don't recall seeing any problems with it yet, and my dealer hasn't either. I would rather have it be easier to change, but I will trust Toyota for now.
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Think $60 for the filter is on the high side, think you will find it closer to $42 for GM #88969125. And you do not have to remove the gas tank to replace the filter. There is an access hole in the floor under the rear seat/carpeting. Closer to 1 hour then the 3 to remove the tank.
  • Options
    Toyota has maintained a policy with its fuel-injected cars that the inline fuel filter does not need changing, and I can attest that in the case of my '83 celica, this was certainly the case. It was fuel-injected, running perfectly at 250K when I sold it about two years ago, on the original fuel filter.

Just an alternative notion...if you are committed to changing it despite this, it can be done. The reason it is not a cheaper operation is because the vehicle's designer did not intend it to be a routine job.

• Options
    hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Has anyone out there actually replaced the fuel filter themselves? Is it fairly easy to reach from the access hole?

Also, I heard somewhere that either the headlights or tail lights (or maybe other external lights?) are extremely difficult to change. Someone actually had said that it entailed removing a fender or something else?! I find this hard to believe, but any input on this?
  • Options
    From someone with the Vibe owners manual.

Headlight Bulb, open hood, locate bulb, remove rubber cover, unplug socket, undo retainer, remover bulb, reverse for install.

Taillight bulb, open hatch, open rear quarter storage compartment, remove socket/bulb from lens, replace bulb, reverse for install.

The owners manual dosen't have the instructions to replace the actual lens units if they were to break, so not sure to difficulty there, but will keep eyes and ears open for info.
  • Options
    jmcknight2jmcknight2 Member Posts: 47
    - The Helm service manual for the Vibe actually does recommend removing the front bumper to change headlight bulbs. That alone would be enough to scare most people away!
  • Options
    :-o That scares ME a little bit. Does this apply to the Matrix, too? I wonder why they recommend removing the bumper? Why would the owners manual make it sound a lot easier than that?

Has anyone replaced a headlight yet on their own?
  • Options
    Confirmed with the service manual at the dealership. Bulbs per owners manual, no problem (in fact they think they don't even have the rubber covers). Replace the whole light if broken in accident, you need to pop off the bumper cover to get to the lower mounting bolts.
  • Options
    GM recommends lubricating the weatherstripping which is a good idea as this stuff cracks after 6 to 8 years.

What is good for this, aside from GM stuff from the dealer?
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Any dilectric silicone grease.
  • Options
    Where can I find this dilectric silicone grease?

Is there a brand name, or something else?

I went to the Walmart, and did not see this.
    Would Home Depot have this?
  • Options
    Any auto supply house should carry it.
  • Options
    vibe4vibe4 Member Posts: 5
    I've got 2400 miles on my new vibe. Since the weather has gotten warmer the smell is there every time I stop and start. I believe it's the catalytic converter and my gas miliage has dropped for a fantastic 36 mpg to 30 (automatic). The problem was occasional when I first got the car, now it's constant. Any suggestions? Do you think a fuel injectin cleaner would help or should I take it to the shop?
  • Options
    you got 36 mpg with an automatic???? Geez, in city driving (AWD) I have not been able to break 26 mpg
  • Options
    ndjazndjaz Member Posts: 6
    I only get 23 mpg with mostly city driving (AWD) and 2000 miles.
  • Options
    (FWD automatic XR) I get 32 mpg tank after tank after tank. It is remarkably consistent. The one really long highway trip I took, it went up to 37 or so. It is at 15.5K now.

• Options
    I'm with you ndjaz. I was getting horrible gas mileage when I first had the Vibe (24 mpg or so in town). It has gotten better with the warmer weather. I am up to 21k on my car and getting 26 in town. I believe yours will get better with time too.
  • Options
    stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I get 25-27 pure city (with lots of visits to 8200 RPM redline and 29 on a trip from Dallas to Houston cruising at 80MPH. More than acceptable for me.
  • Options
    vibe4vibe4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi guy's, glad you're impressed with my gas miliage. It's FWD automatic which gets better miliage than AWD. However, I'm still having trouble with the sulfer smell. I tried higher octane gas and fuel injection cleaner but it hasn't helped. Still would appreciate some idea's on how to fix it, if none's available, I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer and let them mess with it.
  • Options
    hey, throw some sulfur my way; i'll take your gas mileage any day. Your FWD is only supposed to get 1 mpg better than my AWD. Pontiac may have miscalculated on that number however. I think I smell something rotten here.....oh, sorry...that's the problem after all isn't it...he, he, he
  • Options
    try BP gas.
    supposed to be lower S content.

Let us know the real deal.
    I would get some, but have no BP stations on my normal routes to make a good judgment.

for now, my Vibe is smelly as I go up steep hills, and in constant stop and go's
  • Options
    kris0877kris0877 Member Posts: 7
    I get 36-37 mpg with 90% city driving (FWD 5 speed) and 1400 miles.
    Is it just me or the clutch pedal is engaging higher than other standards? Is it adjustable? In my old Corolla I used to keep my heel on the floor when operating clutch. Now I have to lift the whole leg which makes gear shifting less precise and rougher ride.
  • Options
    has a long clutch, definitely. I don't think it is adjustable though.

• Options
    jimincalifjimincalif Member Posts: 11
    Got my new Vibe, but the dealer did not have anyone there on a Sunday who could program the remotes. Since the dealer is over an hour away, I'd rather just do it myself if possible. Anyone know how to do this or if there are instructions someplace?
  • Options
    Transmitter Programming
    Reprogramming the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver

Important
    The vehicle comes equipped with two transmitters. The receiver can be programmed to accept up to four transmitters. Additional transmitters are available. If the number of transmitters programmed exceeds four, the previously programmed transmitters will be erased in order, starting with the first transmitter.

To program a transmitter, there are 4 modes within the remote control door lock receiver.

Add mode: This mode is used for adding new or additional transmitters.
    Rewrite mode: This mode is used to erase all of the previously programmed transmitters and should be used when installing a new receiver.
    Prohibition mode: This mode is used to erase all registered codes and cancel the wireless door lock function. Use this mode when the transmitter is lost.
    Confirmation mode: This mode is for confirming how many existing transmitters are registered before adding any transmitters.

To begin programming, follow the procedure.

Set the following conditions:
    Ignition off and ignition key out of cylinder.
    All doors closed except drivers door.
    Drivers door is unlocked.
    Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice within 5 seconds.
    After the above operations, close and open the driver door twice within 40 seconds. Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and remove it.
    After the above operations, close and open the driver door twice within 40 seconds. Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and close the door.
    Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON and back to LOCK at approximately 1 second interval 1 to 5 times to select desired mode.
    1 time for add mode
    2 times for rewrite mode
    3 times for confirmation mode
    5 times for prohibition mode
    Remove the ignition key from the key cylinder.
    After selecting a mode, the integration relay automatically performs the power door LOCK to UNLOCK operation within 3 seconds to inform the selected mode.
    In the confirmation mode, when the operation is performed twice, it directs that 2 types of recognition codes have been registered.
    In the confirmation mode, if the number of the registration code is 0 the LOCK to UNLOCK operation is automatically performed 5 times.
    If the prohibition mode or confirmation mode is selected, registration procedure is completed.
    If the add or rewrite mode has been selected, the doors will lock-unlock once or twice at 1 second intervals, once for add mode or twice for rewrite mode.
    If the confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock-unlock 0 to 2 times at 2 second intervals to inform the technician of the number of transmitters programmed.
    If the prohibition mode is selected, the doors will lock-unlock 0 to 5 times at 1 second intervals.
    Registering new recognition codes for the add mode or rewrite mode.
    Within 40 seconds after the add mode or the rewrite mode has been selected, press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.0 to 1.5 seconds. Within 3 seconds after the previous operation, press either one of the buttons for more than 1.0 seconds.
    Within 3 seconds after the transmitter has been turned off, the LOCK and UNLOCK operation will be automatically performed once if the registration of the recognition code of the transmitter is completed correctly. In case the LOCK and UNLOCK operation is performed twice, the registration of recognition code has failed. Perform the registration procedure from the beginning once again.
    Press a transmitter button for 2 seconds. The doors will lock-unlock once at a 1 second interval to inform the technician that the signal has been received from the transmitter.
    If the doors lock-unlock once, the transmitter programming has been completed. Go to step 8 to continue programming for additional transmitters.
    If the doors lock-unlock twice, the transmitter programming is not complete. Go to step 8 to begin the transmitter programming again.

If any of the following conditions occur during programming, the remote control door lock receiver will return to normal operation:

Any of the doors are opened.
    40 seconds elapses with no input to the RKE module.
    The ignition key is inserted into the key cylinder.
    4 transmitters have been programmed at once.
  • Options
    Thx for typing all that in, I will give it a go. All I found in my manual was "the dealer programs it."
  • Options
    You're welcome, but I didn't have to type it. Just accessed the '03 Pontiac factory repair manual, and did a copy & paste.
  • Options
    and, I successfully programmed both remotes, no problem!

One would think a dealer would have either already done it or have someone do it when the car is sold. At least I've learned over the years to go in with no expectations - then I'm not disappointed!

Thx again.
  • Options
    Programming is done at the factory. The remotes you received were either from another car or to replace lost remotes, that is why they need to be programmed.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can get an updated twilight sensor installed on a 2003 Vibe? I'm doing a 24-hour test drive on one and love the car, but the sensor's twitchiness is driving me crazy (it's an overcast day here in Boston).
  • Options
    I disconnected mine, it would turn on the lights on a bright sunny day if the sun angle was just so.

Easy to do. Lower the steering wheel, pull the instrument panel straight off. The connector is above the speedo. Pull down the retaining clip, pull the connector apart, tape them together to keep the wires from dropping, put the retainer clip back, push the instrument panel back on (watch the odo reset button) and you're done.
  • Options
    jimincalif, you pull out the gauges with the chrome rings? Is it the only connector in that area? I don't want to do make a mistake doing it. That seems like an easy fix. Thanks!
  • Options
    The pod affair over the instruments is all one piece that snaps to the dash. Grasp it, pull and wiggle a bit and it will come off. The twilight sensor connector is the only connector I saw that is on the driver side of the speedo. Up around 11 o'clock or so as I recall, all by itself. You do not need to remove the actual instruments or anything else.
This discussion has been closed.