Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    Mike, if you lost about a 100 pounds, your track lap times would drop—and your lifespan will increase. 300 pounds at your height is not good. Any doctor will tell you that.

I'm 5'9" and 200 pounds and my doctor is constantly telling me to lose another 30 pounds.

It may not seem important now, but it will when you get to my age—assuming you do get to my age. :)

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sweet, congrats! Looks great!

I love those rims. Among the very best on the market, at any price.

I'd prefer that the leather were perforated, but it's still very nice.

Love the dual exhaust, too.

I bet a small GPS could fit under that door at the top of the dash.

Kudos.
    The 3 of us should have a bet - who can lose the most (as a % of their current weight) by Xmas.

I hit 217 # while in Brazil, eating like a pig. I was 185 in high school.

Subaru Crew Diet? :D
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    I was 148 in high school, and 160 when I did the Maryland Marathon back in 1981 at age 36. So clearly 200 pounds is not good for me—even though I hit the gym almost daily.

X-Mas—you're on! And afterwards we can pig out like there was no tomorrow! :P

Bob
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    While we're talking about the 09 in this thread, thought I'd ask everyone's opinion on frequency and brand for waxings. I usually use a high-end Turtle Wax (Platinum) and I prefer to use the liquid rather than the goopy can about once a year before the winter hits and use a Wash and Wax wash (Rain X is the brand I've been using for a year or so now) every week or two.

Anyone had any good results with other brands?
    Consumer Reports' last test included Prestone Bullet Wax, and the one thing they raved about was that it was indeed easy and quick to apply.

Given my time constraints, i.e. two kids that want me to play with them and not focus on car detailing, this was a priority for me, so I tried it out.

The product does exactly what it promises. It's quick and easy to apply and remove, plus the big plus is it does *not* stain the black rubber and plastic trim. That's key for saving time, because with some other stuff I used you had to use blue painter's tape to keep the trim clean.

So far the water beads up well in the rain. I just hope it lasts.

It also passes my "rag test". Toss a rag on the hood, and it should slip right off. It does.
    Cool, I'll run to Advance Auto and pick up some if they even have it (I couldn't find it on the Prestone website - did you see any good reviews about Turtle Wax ICE?)

I usually wax my cars right after it starts to turn to fall, so that puts me about mid Octoberish, and then I'll do another wax after we thaw out in the spring.

A funny thing happened within the last 2 weeks I've owned my Sub...
    Every time my wife and I drive somewhere and she hops out, I pull out the owners' manual and read away... I recently discovered that you can pop the transmission into "SPORT" mode for better acceleration and engine braking... I had no idea this existed and the dealers didn't mention it. I knew about the manual SPORTShift mode and the regular D automatic, but Sport mode is pretty cool, and I like the way the engine backs down when I take my foot off the gas pedal.

Oh, I wrote a review for Edmunds' and it's the only one up there for the `09 Legacy. The Limited trim is far more superior than I ever expected it to be when we were considering the SE trim... The dual climate is very nice and the AUTO feature is useful... The hardest thing I've had to get used to is the fact that I can't comfortably shut the door(s) by the window frame, well, because there isn't one. In order to minimize fingerprints, my wife and I have agreed to shut the door via the handle.

Can't wait for some inclement weather. About 700/1000 miles into the break-in period, impatiently waiting for the 1001st mile where I can really open it up.
  • ahqahq Posts: 37
    I'll sheepishly admit that I've been driving my 2009 2.5i SE for two weeks now, although I've yet to crack open the owner's manual. Since I'm not going anywhere (or at least not anywhere far) during the upcoming holiday weekend, perhaps I'll set aside some time to peruse through the manual.

Regarding the automatic transmission's Sport program mode, the salesperson did demonstrate this feature to me upon delivery two weeks ago. I usually switch the lever to the Sport mode when I'm on the freeway, for more responsive downshifts when passing.

My mom's 1990 Nissan Stanza XE (she's the second owner and has been driving the car since 1994!) has a similar toggle switch. It has three modes: Comfort, Sport, and Automatic. Historically I'd leave the switch in Automatic mode while driving her car around town, but I'll flip it to Sport mode when driving on the freeway. I was happy to find a similar feature on my Legacy. Having said that, I haven't really used the "manual" shift mode more than once thus far.

As far as disappointments and regrets are concerned, I have two thus far. My previous car, a 2002 Sentra GXE, had much better storage space for small items, including a nicely sized compartment (with a pop-up lid) to the right of the instrument panel. The door pockets were more generously sized as well.

I know I might damage my rep for admitting this, but I've found that I don't care for the cupholders... their location behind the shifter, that is. My old Sentra's cupholders were in front of the shifter, so beverages were much easier to place and reach.

Last but not least, there were three Legacy 2.5i SE automatics at the dealership, and I chose the one in Seacrest Green. I like the exterior color, and I find the ivory interior (with contrasting black upper dashboard) to be pleasing, but I'm concerned about the light-colored fabric appearing dingy after a while. I'm not too worried about it since I leased the car for two years and I don't have kids, but I would've gone for the Ruby Red car with black interior if I had to turn back the clock.
  • altimatealtimate Posts: 62
    Congrats on your purchase. Have you had a chance to check mileage yet?

I'm still waiting for availability of an SE here in Michigan. Looks like September at the earliest. I hope the lease deal doesn't suffer too much between now and then.

Looking at Quartz Silver as my color of choice. Never been fond of black interrior but I'm going with after market leather and the Legacy has a very upscale look in the black. If a beige trim became available I'd want white or bronze exterior. Right now I'm just antsy from waiting. Getting calls from competitive dealers trying to get me to look at other vehicles. I might do so if something doesn't happen pretty soon regarding availability. Still, after an eternity of research I'm seeing the Legacy SE as the best overall combination of value and upscale features.
    Cool!

"As far as disappointments and regrets are concerned, I have two thus far. My previous car, a 2002 Sentra GXE, had much better storage space for small items, including a nicely sized compartment (with a pop-up lid) to the right of the instrument panel. The door pockets were more generously sized as well."

That's funny! Our other car is a 2001 Sentra SE - which I believe is the same model more or less (I think the SE has a 2.0 I4 rather than the 1.8) I do in fact miss the sunglasses holder near the top moonroof switch, but I have to disagree with the storage space... While the popup thing was cool above the radio, I find the cupholder caddy (you can remove this btw - my wife and I have a rule - no drinks in the car, so out the cupholders came, read owner's manual on how to safely remove, takes 2 seconds to twist the piece out.) and the center console a lot of space, and the glove box is huge compared to the Sentra. I personally don't keep anything in the door pockets from fear that I'll put garbage in there and forget about it!
    Nope, I haven't measured gas mileage yet. I did check the average fuel economy on the trip computer a few times... it reads that I'm getting around 29 MPG, which I believe is optimistic, to put it mildly. My guesstimate is that I'm getting around 20-21 MPG around town, maybe 25 MPG on the highway. My old Sentra was significantly better on gas, so I'm still adjusting to having to fill up the tank more frequently, as well as paying well more than $35 for a complete fill-up.

One of the local dealers around here had a bronze 2.5i SE (with the ivory interior) but it had the manual transmission, whereas I was looking for an automatic. VERY nice color, though. I certainly would've picked it, if one with an automatic was in stock.

I'm surprised that you're having a hard time locating a 2.5i SE, although I should note that one of the local dealers here didn't have any 2.5i SE automatics whatsoever, whereas the other had only two or three in stock. I'm assuming that you're not in the Detroit area, am I correct?
    You're right, the 2001 Sentra SE and 2002 GXE are of the same generation. I knew about the removable cupholder insert... very convenient for cleaning purposes. And yes, the Legacy's glovebox is pretty sizable, although it's a bit of a reach from the driver's seat. I'd keep several of my audio CDs (stored in their jewel cases) in the Sentra's door pocket... I can't do that with the Legacy, so I have to store them in the compartment underneath the center armrest. (I have a sick feeling that I'm going to knock off the armrest lid with my elbow when it's open one day.) Which reminds me, I still have to buy an audio patch cable so that I can listen to my MP3 player through the Harman Kardon stereo... BTW perfect song for this stereo is "Inertia Creeps" by Massive Attack. It sounds amazing.

The other thing is that the Legacy's sun visor is too thick for my garage door opener's clip, so I've been storing my garage door opener in one of the cupholders. My in-car parking meter used to reside in the compartment underneath the Sentra's center armrest, but now that my CDs reside there, I have to store the parking meter in the glovebox when it's not being used.

Ah well, it's really nothing more than a matter of getting accustomed to a different routine, that's all. I didn't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill!
  • altimatealtimate Posts: 62
    Actually I am in the Detroit area. This region is obviously not an import oriented area and while the east coast or west coast probably has a 50-50 mix of imports and domestics around here its more like 75-25 in favor of domestics.

That being said there are roughly 6 Subaru dealers in the metro area of which only one has SE models and they only got them in a few days ago. Personally I prefer not to deal with that dealer since they jacked the lease price up unreasonably to add a couple of options that I wanted (leather, XM). Also have kind of a circus atmosphere there. They literally bang a Chinese gong to announce someone taking delivery of a car. Not my kind of place. Dealer I'm dealing with is a family run store with just two salespeople. My person has been very forthcoming about the deal and the car availability with no BS whatsoever. I'm pretty confident I can do a deal with him. Store will also provide a free loaner with service which is a big thing.

Anyway, I expect something to happen in the next week or two and I'll be glad when this deal is complete. Good news is a couple of more weeks will give me a chance to get my diet going. Cabin is a bit snugger than I'm used to so I figure if the car can't change than I can. Seriously, I have gained a great deal of weight in the last year and really need to get it off more for health than esthetic reasons.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I agree on the cup holders in my 05 LGT. I actually use the cup holders to hold my sun glasses cell phone and blue-tooth ear pieces.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Just to let you know that your wait might be over. Glassman Group in Southfield , Mich. has a nice leasing program going (as we speak) on 2009 Legacy SE. Leased Black 4 spd. auto, for my wife, yesterday. 24/12, with zero down, sign @ drive $240 or $255/ month OTD (including 6% tax). But wait, it gets even better, dealer payed first payment, and my $1000 in Subaru bucks lowered my monthly payment to $215 OTD. I'll be picking my tomorrow.
    They sold some 40 of them this week. The program ends tomorrow.
    They had couple of bronze and several in quartz silver. Bronze with beige & black colour interior looked really sharp and elegant.
    Good luck.
    $1000 in Subaru bucks?? What's that about? Please elaborate! :)
    Get a Subaru Chase credit card, from Chase bank, and start accumulating 3% back in Subaru Bucks, which come $100 at a time.

I've accumulated (and used) $2000 Subaru bucks already. Can't beat it.

The only cap is $500/year, basically.

When we hit that cap, we start using a Shell gas card, but that only earns 1%.
  • I see you already got the answer to your question. I just add that in last three years i bought three Subaru vehicles. In 2006 Willow Green O.B. 2.5i, for myself. In 2007 Gray Forester for my son, and few days ago, i leased 2009 Obsidian Black Legacy 2.5i SE for my wife, and every time i had $1000 in Subaru bucks. Until last statement from Chase i was quite happy with them. They refused to give me $100 credit, claiming i already maxed out, which is total BS, because this year i got only four $100 coupons. I already stopped using my Chase Subaru M.C. and switched to United Millage Plus. They don't impose any limits.
    Interesting... so do these Subaru bucks expire after a specified period of time?
    If you're seriously interested in some type of rewards-based credit card, I'd suggest you look into something like an American Express Blue or a Citibank MasterCard Dividend Select card. There's also Chase Freedom Visa. I have all three.

The AmEx gives you 1.25% on everything and 2.5% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy purchases until a preset amount, which I think is $5,000, then it doubles for the remainder of your year (5% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy, 2.5% on all else). The snag here is that you can't get a "reward" in the mail - it gets applied to the 13th month's bill.

The Citibank MC gives you 3% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy and 1% else. The only reason I have this card is in the unlikely event where the merchant will only take a MasterCard. This rate used to be higher - 5% for ggp and 2.5% for everything else - but a few years ago they slowly started reducing the rewards. To redeem: After accumulating $50 in "dividend", electronically request a check through the website, you receive check in about a week.

The Chase Visa is my "everything else" card. This card actually gives you 3% on the top three categories of spending; they give you 3% on your top five if you hold a Chase Checking account. No expiration, no limit. Sample accounts are: "Dining and Entertainment" for a restaurant, "Services and Merchandise" for the Post Office, "Vehicle Expenses" for Coast Honda... etc. Fuel is included in Vehicle Expenses. There's a lot of things listed in the "Other" category and I'm not sure if they're all chunked into one "thing" for the rewards. You can redeem anytime after $50 is accumulated, or if you wait until there's $200 accumulated, you instantly jump to $250.

We prefer using our AmEx because of the higher reward (and we hit our preset limit within a few months of the card's calendar year) but we like our Chase just as much now that they've recently extended their categories.

Assuming it costs 50 bucks to fill up your tank:
    Chase: $1.50 in rewards/tank
    AmEx: $2.50 rewards/tank

If you fill your tank once a week, that's a difference of $52 by the end of the year in rewards, and if you pay in cash or use a debit card or non-rewards credit card, you're missing out on a free $130 in rewards (AmEx) or $78 (Chase). It depends on where and how often you go for gas, I guess to make it worth it since initially the Chase card is better... but if you're like me and go to Costco Wholesale for gas, you can only pay with American Express.

Hope that helps give you some food for thought - I like having my money in cash form so it's not tied into one specific company or brand (IE the Subaru Card)

I'm kind of a nut when it comes to free money... I pay for everything with my cards and then pay them off in full at the end of the month. If you carry a balance with ANY rewards-based credit card, the interest/financing charge is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than regular cards - we're talking 12% APR and beyond... and that's with Tier 1 Credit.

But, if you pay your bill off in full at the end of the month, you're the one winning out because you:
    1) Get an interest-free "loan" from the credit card companies `till your statement is due.
    2) Keep your money in the bank until the last possible statement where the above statement is due, which accumulates interest in a savings account. (ING Direct for the win!)
    3) Get free money (rewards) from the card companies just for using their card instead of using cash. (It's nice to take about 15-20 cents off a gallon of gas and know in the end you're only really paying 3.15/gallon rather than 3.33 because of rewards!)

I also just don't like cash, because I have an "if I have it in my pocket, I feel compelled to spend it" attitude towards little things like vending machines, soda machines, etc, etc. With plastic, can't charge a Snickers bar, move along!
  • un4soun4so Posts: 2
    I've had both of those types of rattles.
    The 'cargo' rattle probably comes from the plastic covers, next to the rear lights, just under the tail gate. You can paste some weather proofing strip (spongy/rubbery), or just stuff some clothing first between the gate and those plastics, to prove they are causing the rattles.
    For the 'sunroof' rattle, there is actually a repair kit issued by Subaru. I've had my 2007 Outback fixed one week ago. The invoice says "...installed sunroof repair kit..."; part might be 43SUZZM1 - ask your dealer about this.
  • Yes, each $100 coupon is good for four (4) years on a date it was issued.
    The Chase Visa is my "everything else" card. This card actually gives you 3% on the top three categories of spending; they give you 3% on your top five if you hold a Chase Checking account. No expiration, no limit

Read the fine print, there are some limits.

Consumer Reports reviewed the card recently and I think they cap the 3% rebate at $18 per month, beyond that you only get 1% back.

Since you have 3 cards you may not exceed that limit (you would have to put more than $600 on your 3rd card in a single month), but there are limits.

My wife puts large business expenses on her card, so that $600 spending cap did not work well for us. I guess annually it would be $18 per month times 12, or just $216 per year in rebates at the 3% rate, the rest at 1%.

The Subaru card is with the same bank (Chase) but the cap is $500 annually, 3% for everything. No restrictions on categories for purchases, plus you stop using the card when you get the $500, so you know right away.

Of course the "restriction" is that you have to spend it at a Subaru dealer, but at least you can use it for service, parts, accessories, leases, or purchases. Even CPO used Subarus.

Our 2nd card is a Citibank Shell card - 5% back on all gas, 1% on all else.

So basically we get:

* 5% on all gas, no matter what
    * 3% on everything else until we hit the $500 cap
    * then 1% from that point on using the Shell gas card

I could probably get more than 1% for that short period of time but it's usually only a month or two.
  • cd68cd68 Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the re-designed 2010 Legacy will have framed windows, or continue to have the frame-less windows?

I'm very interested in buying a new Legacy, but I've never had a car with frameless windows before, and I'm not sure if I would like them or if they would just be really annoying.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be most grateful.
    That seems likely, given the Tribeca, then Impreza, then Forester all moved to that design. Especially since the Legacy is more upscale, so you think dropping wind noise would be a priority.

Cons? More weight, more seals needed, thicker pillars (maybe).
    That was my thought - since the Impreza and Forester in particular moved toward framed windows - it seems logical that the Legacy does so as well.

I'm considering buying the 2009 Legacy since it's an established design and all of the potential issues with regard to a brand new design are not applicable. On the other hand, I don't want to buy the 2009, and find out that the 2010 is an absolutely perfect car from a design and function standpoint. (In my opinion they should add framed windows, a bit more storage space for small stuff in the front seat, bluetooth, and improved gas mileage).
  • It's a tough call. I was in the same boat as you about a month ago, then decided to get the 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited.

I considered waiting for 2010 and the remake, but friends and family alike cautioned me on being the first to own a brand new model year. My mother specifically recommended getting the 2009 since it's the last year for this build - so more or less they've got the majority of the kinks out.

The things I would have liked to see in 2010 would have been the low-force door handles (the ones that pull out rather than pull up, was kind of disappointed that this wasn't available), and likewise I'd like to have seen a little bit more storage space in the front, whether they add an eyeglass compartment near the sunroof controls or make the center console and cupholder console slightly larger.

I could take or leave bluetooth. I prefer to have the phone conversation in my ear rather than broadcasting in the car, because it gets awkward with passengers and quality isn't the same as an in-ear bluetooth regardless of the manufacturer.

Mileage I'm comfortable with. Although the sticker on the 2.5i was only 22 city/26 highway, I'm getting higher than 30 - about 30.9 to be exact - on highway with the air conditioner on constantly (Auto Climate Control). I'm not really using the shiftronic or the sport mode of the transmission, but I am driving the car gently... Not really letting the RPM's exceed 3.5k and not doing any abrupt braking unless I have to. I think in City driving, the 22 is probably accurate.

If they added a 5-speed Automatic Transmission next year, I'd consider purchasing another Legacy to replace my Nissan Sentra.

To me, it's all about Safety, which is why I looked into an AWD vehicle in the first place... I'd rather lose a few highway MPG (losing about 5 MPG compared to my `00 Honda Civic) in order to survive - or more importantly avoid - an accident.

That being said, and getting back to the original point, you're the one with the power now. The economy is floundering a bit, and as the `09's get more and more "common" throughout the market, you'll start seeing better and better financing deals and cash back offers. If you can wait until the `10's are released next summer, you'll probably get a killer offer on a 2009 if you can still find them. My wife and I were going to go after a 2008 since they had a super low price compared to the `09 Legacy, but none were around the NJ area in late July - just a week or two after the `09's launched.

Fingers crossed when I'm ready to get rid of my Nissan that Subaru will have a "keyless" ignition like many other car makers are doing... Mini, Nissan, etc. all have the push-button start with the intelligent key now (the key doesn't need to be in the ignition to run, just in your pocket). I like the high-tech features like that.
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply. You have given me a lot to ponder!
    You'll probably see framed windows, but I doubt more storage space. Our 09 Forester actually has less than my 1998 Forester did.

Bluetooth is a maybe.

Improved gas mileage? My guess is no. Actually mileage peaked for the 2003 model year, at 23/30, and has not matched that peak since.

The 09 Forester gets the same mileage as the 08. The turbo XT improved slightly, though.
This discussion has been closed.