Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC70 Transmission Questions

johnnie54johnnie54 Member Posts: 4
i have a 2001 xc70 105,000 mi. the tranny is clunking when it gets warmed up, stopping and starting. it doesn't do it at highway speeds. when its cold it doesn't do it at all. no messages as in check engine lights. any suggestions?

john

Comments

• cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 5
    I recently had my 2002 XC70 with 95,000 miles looked at because of driveline vibrations that seem most pronounced around 60 MPH. The mechanic and I went for a test ride and he said "The vibrations that you're experiencing are very common with XC70s built between 1998 and 2003. They're common, difficult to pin-point, and rather expensive to correct. What I'm feeling now is not that bad. I would continue to drive the car until the vibrations become worse. At that point they will be more easily identified which makes the diagnosis time/money less."

This was not the news I had hoped for. Because I had paid for an hour of diagnosis time, he went ahead and gave the car a thorough once-over and came up with $3,500 worth of needed repairs (none of which related to the vibration issue I even brought the car in for). One of the items on his check list was a recommendation that I flush the transmission fluid (removing the old fluid under force and replacing with new). I talked to a few people and all seemed to agree that flushing the transmission fluid can be a dicey proposition. Apparently, it's common for a flush to sometimes dislodge crud from within the transmission that creates more harm than simply leaving the fluid alone in the first place. I chose a compromise approach. Instead of a full blown flush, I would simply drain what I could, add fluid, drive the car for six months and then replace the fluid again. My thought was that this would replace most of the trans fluid without the potential harm of flushing all of the fluid at once. Yesterday I drained about a gallon of trans fluid, got in my chevy truck, drove to the dealer, purchased four liters of Volvo authorized trans fluid, added enough fluid to replace what I had drained, and then test drove the XC70. Much to my surprise, I had lost third gear. Reverse, 1, 2, 4, and 5 are just fine. Three no longer works. I've searched the internet a bit and apparently this is fairly common. I'm sick to my stomach. Short of $3,000+ for full-blown transmission work, does anyone have a solution?
    I recently had my 2002 XC70 with 95,000 miles looked at because of driveline vibrations that seem most pronounced around 60 MPH. The mechanic and I went for a test ride and he said "The vibrations that you're experiencing are very common with XC70s built between 1998 and 2003. They're common, difficult to pin-point, and rather expensive to correct. What I'm feeling now is not that bad. I would continue to drive the car until the vibrations become worse. At that point they will be more easily identified which makes the diagnosis time/money less."

This was not the news I had hoped for. Because I had paid for an hour of diagnosis time, he went ahead and gave the car a thorough once-over and came up with $3,500 worth of needed repairs (none of which related to the vibration issue I even brought the car in for). One of the items on his check list was a recommendation that I flush the transmission fluid (removing the old fluid under force and replacing with new). I talked to a few people and all seemed to agree that flushing the transmission fluid can be a dicey proposition. Apparently, it's common for a flush to sometimes dislodge crud from within the transmission that creates more harm than simply leaving the fluid alone in the first place. I chose a compromise approach. Instead of a full blown flush, I would simply drain what I could, add fluid, drive the car for six months and then replace the fluid again. My thought was that this would replace most of the trans fluid without the potential harm of flushing all of the fluid at once. Yesterday I drained about a gallon of trans fluid, got in my chevy truck, drove to the dealer, purchased four liters of Volvo authorized trans fluid, added enough fluid to replace what I had drained, and then test drove the XC70. Much to my surprise, I had lost third gear. Reverse, 1, 2, 4, and 5 are just fine. Three no longer works. I've searched the internet a bit and apparently this is fairly common. I'm sick to my stomach. Short of $3,000+ for full-blown transmission work, does anyone have a solution? I want a do-over. Not just with the transmission fluid but with the whole car. It's too fancy, complicated, fussy, and expensive to maintain.
  • volvongvolvong Member Posts: 1
    I have a xc70 that has been slipping and clunking from the start of my ownership(49,000 miles). I purchased the extented warranty just in case of problems. When I discovered the problem, I brought it to the dealer and they said that it was not slipping, I had them put this on the receipt to prove it was there for this problem but I believe its too late anyway. It now has 112,000 miles and is happening more than ever. Is it just the fluid or computer?
  • greenmachine3greenmachine3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001xc70 that I bought in 2004. In Nov 2006 the transmission started slipping. The transmission service light and check engine lights came on. I brought it in to have it serviced (under extended warranty). The transmission was not replaced or repaired. The computer program was 'updated' for the third time and a new catalytic converter, etc. to the tune of $2300. 10 months later, same problem (imho), yet the dealer says it is not (car no longer under warranty) and that I need a new transmission - $5000. :mad: I did not have the transmission replaced or repaired at that time. what I have noticed is that when I am driving in hot weather in heavy traffic, the transmission performs very poorly. It must rev up to 3000rpm just to get the car moving from a stop and jerks. Once the car cools completely, this no longer happens. I think the computerized portion of the transmission is misfiring because it is and has overheated. I have replaced my radiator twice in three years. :sick: My mechanic thinks I am mistaken that the water pump could be a problem. I will try with this mechanic once more to see if he will replace the water pump, if not, I'll be looking for another mechanic. Btw: the transmission codes on my car have be cleared without repair.
    How is the cooling system on your car? Does any of this sound familiar?
  • vegas2004xc70vegas2004xc70 Member Posts: 6
    I don't have an obvious solution, but I do have a few comments and suggestions. I'll first address the vibration. I have a GREAT mechanic who worked at a Volvo dealership for over 15 years and he knows his stuff. My car had the same problem (2004 model) and so did a friend's CX90. It is likely a wheel bearing...rear also likely. The bearings go prematurely and are expensive. I think that we paid $300. just for the bearing itself. You can drive it until it gets too loud or your wheel seizes.

Volvo transmissions now cost $4200. for the transmission + labor (about $800-$1000. I was recently having tranny problems and need to have it repalced. I thought that having it rebuilt and saving $2200 was the way to go...but I was mistaken. Nobody really knows how to rebuild a Volvo transmission properly and if they do, you will still likely have other issues upon getting it back. I just spent $2300. and still have problems and need a Volvo transmission replacement.
  • dbl782dbl782 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at buying a used 2002 XC70, and I have heard both good and bad thing about the transmission in that year; any advice/horror stories? I know to stay away from 2001, but are most of the kinks worked out in the 2002? Also, do you know if it is very easy to work on yourself, or is there to much computer mumbo-jumbo to get around?
    Any advise would be a help! Thanks! :confuse:
    I think it's safe to say that the 2002 transmissions are just as fragile as the 2001s; at least the one in my 2002 was. Beyond the transmission, the cars are prone to expensive bearing failures, expensive and difficult to diagnose driveline vibration problems and from what I've heard, wiring issues (thought I have not had problems myself). My 2002 does not have third gear. It simply went away when I changed the fluid. I've been quoted $5,000 to have the transmission replaced. I'm just driving the thing around in "manual mode" skipping over third gear and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll pass this "Cash for Clunkers" program and that it will somehow allow me to recoup some of my loss on buying a piece of [non-permissible content removed] 2002 Volvo XC70.
  • dbl782dbl782 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help! "Good luck with your clunker".
  • bad_tranniesbad_trannies Member Posts: 11
    I have experience with 3 volvos, two purchased new which I still have - 2006 xc70 and 2002 s60. I used to have a 2004 xc70 which I bought a year old. All were automatic trans. Overall I have been very pleased with them but the trans in all 3 had quirks:

2004 xc70 - car had a tendency to shift gears somewhat harshly, not a smooth transition. purchased used with 20k miles, sold a year later only because I got more than what I paid. mpg was about 24

2002 s60 - 28 mpg was great. At about 70k miles the trans would shift more harshly into first. What I do is manually downshift coming to a stop, saving the brakes a bit (it does work). Apparently the car does not like that and developed that harsh shifting after a while. I don't do that anymore with that car. Then starting at about 95k miles going into gear after backing out of my driveway, it takes a couple seconds to engage into forward gear. Usually you hit the gas as soon as you shift from Reverse to D but doing that jerks the car at engagement. Since then I have been waiting those seconds with foot on the brake. With care I think the car will last a few more years. Now about 25mpg. OEM tires were replaced with Goodyear tires rated at 80k miles and after 40k the fronts are shot. I discovered after some research after the fact that the same tires can perform differently on different cars.

2006 xc70 - bought new with extended warranty, given the experience with the 60. When manually shifting this trans is exhibiting the harsh shifting as the previous 70 but not quite as harsh. I stopped the manual shifting since I startred noticing it at around 45k miles, now has 60k miles. At purchase, mileage was under 20mpg and slowly crept to 21, 22, and at 40k miles was getting 23.6mpg overall. The Pirelli Scorpiion oem tires were replaced at 60k just this past week and performed very well. I replaced with Michelin Harmony with the same size. A weekend trip of 800 miles resulted in 24.6mpg, a very notable and happy improvement! Purchased at Belle Tire $517 out the door with lifetime balancing, rotation, flat fix, inflation, etc. And I also asked if there were any senior discounts available and I got another $20 off! You don't have to be a senior.....don't ask, don't get. :)

Long post but I hope this will provide some insight to someone. Other than the trans, I've found these cars to be pretty good and the wife loves her 70. I just hope Volvo (Ford) recognizes this.
  • mneimanmneiman Member Posts: 4
    I am feeling a "slipping" when the car shifts from 1st to second gear. What happens is that from a dead stop when the car shifts out of first gear (around 10-15 MPH it goes into a quick "neutral reving mode" in other words I feel a hesitation with the engine racing in neutral for a few seconds while trying to find second gear which then kicks in with a jolt. There is no problem going from 2nd to 3rd. If I'm in a driving situation where I am constantly going under 20 MPH this is a constant problem (the kicking from 1st to second gear). If I'm at a stop and have a clear approach such as entering a highway and flooring the gas from 0 to say 40 I don't feel and kicking as the gears shift from first to third rather naturally.. This only occurs when going slow at a spped of under 20MPH. Can anybody offer some suggestions? Could it be a computer problem?--I sure hope so.
    The car has only 55,000 Miles!
    No offense but I've never understood why people use their transmission in an effort to save their brakes. A brake job costs what, maybe $500 for rotors and pads? A trans job costs $5,000+. I'll gladly wear out my brakes in an effort to prolong my trans.
  • 02ocean02ocean Member Posts: 4
    I have the exact same problem. I have 102,000 miles, Did you find a solution?
    Its not a solution that will make you very happy that's for sure. I had to get a
    COMPLETE REBUILD of the Transmission. The problem started with a defect in
    the valve body and must be replaced to insure no further problems. The total price I had to pay was $2995.00.
    Oh Gee! there goes the Merry Christmas. Well it is better than the $4500.00 I heard else where. Thanks for your help and Best Luck.
    Well cranky2, in 42 years years of owning my own cars (starting with a '55 Victoria Crowntop) I've replaced one clutch and many many pads, drums and rotors. I started the downshift with my '83 911SC mainly because I liked getting the revs to vehicle speed on downshift. Sounded nice....
    On my '03 X-type I replaced the fronts at 65k. The mechanic said that was a lot of miles on original pads. I told him I use the accelerator mostly.
    But with these Volvos...I would not recommend it. Also, it seems the tie rods are a very weak element. My '06 XC70 has another tie rod loose (replaced at 55k and now at 65k) according to the mechanic who changes my oil. Fortunately the extended warranty will cover that. And my '02 S60 has tie rod issues, too.

Cheers.
  • jrlun78jrlun78 Member Posts: 9
    hey there
    well i have a 2001 xc70 with 92000 mile i purchased it 2 years ago. i have had some minor maintenance repairs (which i have a feeling people think expensive maintenance is a problem and makes cars un reliable) however my main concern is the trans. unlike every thing i have read on this site my trans seems to slip into fourth with a rather HARSH jolt . and it is when i am in a rather slow pace. now i have been told several times that this can all be remedied by a simple software update?????(is this the case ) please hit me up with your thoughts . take care all my volvo friends =):D
    " i have been told several times that this can all be remedied by a simple software update?????"
    Unfortunately this is not the deal. I thought the same thing and my mechanic who I believe is a pro told me that the problem has nothing to do with software updates.
    Your problem ("my trans seems to slip into fourth with a rather HARSH jolt . and it is when i am in a rather slow pace.") sounds EXACTLY like what I experienced. I had to have the transmission replaced at a cost of $3000--ouch !! The car now runs like brand new. Oh and by the way my car had only 57,000 miles on it. Sorry for the bad news my friend.
    well wish me luck i have icis going in for a look at the trans on feb 1st i will keep everyone posted (fingers crossed) ;)
  • radavesradaves Member Posts: 3
    Today my volvo got stuck in park, or so it appeared. it would actually shift into reverse, neutral and drive, though the indicator on the dash said P constantly. The other thing is that drive seems to be stuck in a higher gear. the car starts off like the "W" driving mode button is depressed, but it is not and the indicator light is not on. I have experienced the same issues that many transmission posts have described. If shifting from reverse to drive on ocassion, the transmission takes a few seconds to shift into gear. Also, sometimes when I slow down to make a corner, the shift down misses and the engine races. Usually I cannot get my foot off the gas quick enough for the car to avoid slamming into the next lower gear. of course, with the current problem, this is no longer an issue. Checked the transmission fluid (which incidentally was just flushed and filled at the dealer's recommendation and to the tune of over $400!) and it is OK. I have just put over $3K into this car for new front end parts and to replace a leaking steering pump and to flush and refill brakes and buy new studded snow tires (we just moved to Maine). I am totally put out with this car. We had a 97 that started having transmission problems and I just got rid of it and bought this one. Car currently has 144K miles. any suggestions? :sick:
    what year is your volvo???? i have never had the problem that you just described ...but i have had the other problems... how long have you owned it and how many miles on it when you purchased it ????
    thanx ;)
  • radavesradaves Member Posts: 3
    It is an 02. Has around 145,000 on it. The problem we are having began at about 90000, but the dealer in NC just did an upgrade of the software and said all would be fine. I had an extended warranty through 100K which is now out. Frustrating that I knew something was wrong and the dealer, because they could not find any bad computer codes, would do nothing. Now, I am afraid I will pay, pay, pay!!!! We drove it to Maine (moving here) and I noticed it pulled every time I accelerated to the right. So when we got here we had to replace basicaly all the joints in the front end. Then we had to have leaking power steering pump replaced because it was leaking on the serpentine belt. The transmission fluid was flushed and filled before we had the current problem back in December. While it was there the dealer talked my wife into having the brake lines flushed and refilled (who knew?). Now it is doing what I described previously. They reset the codes today and are going to flush and fill the transmission again because the fluid is "a little dark" which I have to pay for. I am really getting frustrated with the maintenance on this car. I have found another mechanic here, but they seem to be just as expensive as the dealer is. I am feeling a little helpless and like I have put so much into this that I need to continue to try to get it right. Flip side is that I hate to pour good money after bad. Any advice would be appreciated.
    well i have found a great mechanic here in pa they are expensive but i know they love what they do and they love finding the problem i to have had some front end maintenance but i purchased the car with 74000 miles on it (so i believe it is worth it ) as far as the tranny goes i am concerned :sick: every post i see on here is they have problems get software upgrade and bam tranny shot. my car goes in on monday and my mechanic will play with the tranny and hopefully they will figure it out fingers crossed ;)
  • doorjamdoorjam Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 xc 70 thats been a real bummer. I have taken the car to 3 mechanics to have the trans. replace. The first two mechanics couldn't fix the problem after several attempts to rebuild or replace with a used trans. The worst of these two were Portland Volvo, but I won't get into that. The third mechanic rebuilt the trans. from scratch. It runs well most of the time, however it still slams into 3rd gear frequently. Recently, the trans. warning light came on. We had it towed back to the shop. When it reached the shop the warning light went off. Evidently, what ever caused it was outside of the computer analysis paramenters. The computer software has been upgraded so I don't think that is the problem. Also, the shift cable has been replaced. Any ideas?
  • wkalwkal Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2002 XC70 bought at 7500 miles customer courtesy car from Cherry Hill Volvo who said it was really driven by owners wife. By 33000 miles, started complaining to Keystone Volvo that it shifted funny and to lay person as myself felt like transmission issue. They said no codes. In past 2 years, have replaced throttle, oil pan, transmission and turbo, among others. Now need transmission control module and newest that started happening 2 days ago, blinking check engine light with very weird idle and start up to speed. Volvo repair guy thinks it's fuel coil and driveable until we get there on Tues. He admitted to me in Dec. that Volvo knew and knows of transmission issues with 2002 xc70!!! My car has 87000 now and is in shop for at least $1000 in repairs every 3 months. Looking for others with similar problems for possible class action suit against volvo and the volvo repair shops!!!
    You wouldn't believe it. First I had some of the tranny problems as listed here. Bucking harshly between gears. but I learned to modify my driving and sense the problem and quickly shift into manual mode so at least I could get around. Then... My mother came to visit. I mentioned that I was having some trouble with the car. She is very spiritual and thinks she can fix anything with positive energy. Well she put her hand on my car and did what ever magic. The very next time I drove it. a light came on and then I saw "EL system needs service." Then the battery light came on. I was on a busy street and thought it best to divert to a less busy street. Then the ABS light and then the airbag light. It was raining and the wipers would barely go. Then the turn signal wouldn't stop. It wouldn't go any more. Completely dead! I called my boyfriend and he gave it a jump and we were able to get off the road. The battery was gone but when we got a new one it wouldn't recharge. Only good enough to get home. Probably alternator but Does my car even have a voltage regulator???
    It's an ocean race edition.I looked every day for 6 month for this car. (I raced sailboats at a hight level) but now I don't know if I can afford to keep it.
    Don't let your mum preform any magic on your car>>>
    So disappointed...
    Oceanxc
  • doorjamdoorjam Member Posts: 2
    Sign me up! My 2002 xc70 has been in and out of the shop since May 2009. The transmissions are junk and dealers won't own up to the problem.
    My email is dgvw@verizon.net. Let me know about your problems, we may have an attorney interested in looking into this. For a relatively expensive car, it is a piece of junk and I am convinced that most problems are related to the undersized motor and bad tranny in these cars causing all sorts of other problems.
    See my subsequent post. I complained to my dealer about hesitations shifting gears starting at 33000 miles and they said nothing was wrong. Since then have replaced transmistion and now transmition control module as well as many other very expensive parts. We're in early stages of talking to an attorney about a class action suit against volvo for the 2001 and 2002 xc70s. My e mail is dgvw@verizon.net if you would like to contact me apart from this site.
    Well, Friday picked up xc70 from having transmission control module, 2 ignition coils and 5 spark plugs replaced. As well as front brakes and rotors, though pads replaced only 1 year and 3 months ago. Guess what, limp mode and check engine and transmission service required lights came on again today. We have thrown over $10,000 into this car in since Dec. 2008 and probably $5000 in the year before that. Please contact me at dgvw@verizon.net if you have had similar transmission and major problems with your 2001 or 2002 xc70. We want to send info to our attorney. Good luck all!
  • alcor18alcor18 Member Posts: 2
  • alcor18alcor18 Member Posts: 2
    My shifter would not move out of either neutral or drive and was towed to Volvo for repair. After $1000 repair bill they said it was due to "spilling something" and it got clogged causing it to get stuck. Well 1 week later my Volvo shifter got stuck again and was towed AGAIN this weekend to the dealership. Has anyone had this problem and/or know what could really be causing this to happen?
  • provencherprovencher Member Posts: 1
    Me too i just went on friday for the slipping transmission they charged me 130.00 for software update only to give me an estimate for a new transmission at $2200.00
    i have owned many volvos and this is unheard of a new tranny at 122,000 miles!
  • jd70jd70 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me. Dealer said it had to do with faulty ignition core which they replaced
  • ihatevolvoihatevolvo Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, but my knowledgable neighbor told me open up the base of the shifter (it comes apart pretty easily) and I would find a flat cable that is put in European cars as a safety device, but it moves around sometimes and causes the shifter to stick. Sure enough, I found it, moved it, and the problem was solved. I am sure the fix would have cost no less than $300 at the shop. Oh, I did have to do it again about 6 mos later. Of course, now my car has 79,000 miles on it and the transmission is failing.... no easy fix for that..
  • ihatevolvoihatevolvo Member Posts: 2
    After going through the posts I think I understand that once you start feeling the hesitation and the little clunk when you downshift or go from a stop, you SHOULD NOT start with the all the expensive little "fixes" because they won't work! Is this the general consensus? To his credit, my mechanic said, "you need a new transmission" even tho it just started showing those signs of trouble. The quotes I got in Seattle are no less than $5000!
  • bill1942bill1942 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Volvo XC 70. Bought new. I have had FOUR transmissions. Car has 150 K miles and has been meticulously maintained. I just picked it up from the shop for a major tuneup and asked for a diagnosis of a trembling feeling the car has when accelerating from a stopped position. His opinion was that the tranny is startiung to go AGAIN. I'd be glad to join you in a classaction suit. Email at bsetten@comcast.net
  • bill1942bill1942 Member Posts: 2
    Try Steve Garvin at Bel-Red ransmissions in Bellevue - 425-253-7871. he's right behind Barrier Volvo and claims to do their transmission work.
  • shanti13shanti13 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone.. I am actively looking to file a class action lawsuit against volvo but I need everyones help. I have a 2001 XC70 and have had numerous problems, spent thousands of dollars, including a tran replacement at 80k miles and am fed up. Its time to do something about it. We are getting raked across the coals. Please email me at shanticheffie@gmail.com to discuss our options thanks...
  • shanti13shanti13 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to file a class action... lets get the ball rolling
    do a search for "class action" in the xc70 and sc70 transmission boards and you will find other people in your position.
    good luck.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Asking others for help in class action lawsuit endeavors is solicitation and against the rules of the forums.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • yellowtacosyellowtacos Member Posts: 1
    I also have a dilemma with my 2003 Volvo xc70. Started to "jerk" and "hesitate" to accelerate noticeable when driving under 30mph but not in the freeway. Took the car to the dealership and diagnosed it with a transmission problem. Spent almost 2K dollars a couple of years ago to "fix a software problem" and now need to spend almost 6K to replace the transmission. This is a well maintained 88K mile car yet having to replace the transmission 7yrs after buying it new really sucks! I've never had to replace a transmission with a less than 10y/o car. We've had 3Hondas(2 accords and an Odyssey) and a Plymouth voyager with all under 100K and never had to deal with the transmission problems. I feel safe driving and riding in a Volvo but to deal with the transmission this early is too soon. I wish Volvo has to live up to its good reputation about durability and safety.
    Does anyone know anything about Volvo's say about several complaints and problems re their transmission. Thanks.
  • 240srule240srule Member Posts: 1
    For those of you having complaints about Volvo trannys, please report issues to the highway safety folks at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    The form is fast and easy and lets them know people are having issues. If they get enough complaints, they will issue a recall and the company will be forced to start covering their faulty work. Perhaps Volvo will begin to rebuild its good reputation!
  • markf1507markf1507 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to make a smart decision on this vehicle. Two Volvo dealers state costs are $4200. to repair/replace with a Volvo tranny. Car is worth $6500. It has been reliable- until now. What to do--?? Please advise!
    That's a tough one. You really can't sell the car to anyone except a junk dealer with a bad tranny. So you really should just fix it and hope that you can get many more years use out of the car.
  • nomorevolvosnomorevolvos Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. I bought the car less than a year ago. 1 week after owning it I complained about the car not shifting into gear right away. there was a 1 month warranty. they said they needed to download a software fix to stop the hesitation. They also flushed the transmission. something I was told they should never do. The hesitation hot better but didn't go away completely. then the car started to clunk into gear. Now it's occasionally hanging up when trying to shift. the volvo dealer told me it's the valve body inside the transmission. they said Volvo had a poor design for a couple of years and a valve will catch, which causes the hesitation and then the car clunks when it lets go. they said it won't hurt the transmission but is will get worse and if it catches at higher speeds it could cause problems. I'm now fighting with the dealer who I bought it from to fix the original problem. Not the software, but the valve body. Good luck.
    edited November 2010
    I've posted here before about this same problem. My 2002 S60 clunks into Drive after using Reverse. I tried several different things and found that if I go to Park from Reverse, wait a couple seconds then into Drive, most times it will be a smooth gear change. I always keep my foot hard on the brake to minimize car movement as it goes into gear, thinking it will reduce the trauma to the gear box. No one on this thread had previously posted anything about this valve body business, including the dealer. All I heard from them was software update. For which I have the privilege of paying $80. And I do not have a great deal of confidence (nor do they) that will correct the clunk. I found also that going into Drive directly after turning the car on the gear change is pretty normal most times as well. Now I back into my driveway and parking spaces to deal with this problem.
    What the heck, with all these transmission problems don't the dealers or Volvo realize there is a problem??? jeez. I have purchased my last Volvo as a result of this. There are too many transmission money horror stories in this forum. :mad: ">
  • nomorevolvosnomorevolvos Member Posts: 2
    Here's my update. The dealer I bought it from had his tech take the car for 3 days. He said the car never did anything it shouldn't have. No codes came up, No clunking, no hesitation. Anyone buying this? He said that if a catastophic code came up than they could do something. Really?! Since the problem seems to be occasional, and they can't pinpoint it when they have it, there isn't anything I can do. I asked them why it was other people have had the exact same problem but they have never heard of any of these problems? I'm hoping to keep the car just long enough to pay it down and sell it. I will never buy another volvo.
  • bob_langbob_lang Member Posts: 1
    What came of your transmission repairs? Where in PA do you live? I'm in Delaware County and my 2001 XC70 will not downshift properly in low RPM/torque conditions.
    hi there bob,
    well my mechanic at the time told me the only thing that was wrong was i needed the software update....however i never got around to it =( this past aug i was in a accident and the "icis" was totaled ....so now i have a 2005 touareg....came highly recommended by my mechanic...however i miss her very very much ...but the touareg is softening the blow