Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Will You Do When Your Favorite Brand Dies?

Comments

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    "I didn't have to even open the link to know there was an Avanti there."

I have only lusted after two cars in my life. The D-Jag was one but never realistic. But the Avanti was always one of those cars I wanted to drop the hammer on. I even thought about getting one of the later models with the corvette running gear. It was one of the cleanest sports coupes ever. IMHO
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    A 53 Studebaker coupe would still look better than most of the cars on the road today. As for performance: anybody ever driven or had a ride in a "Studillac"?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    No but I stuffed a big Packard V8 with auto into a 1953 Studebaker Champion coupe. It was very fast. Could never keep it running cool. That radiator was just too small. Studebaker is far more missed than anything today would be. Cars today are like saying I would really miss that refrigerator when it goes. Most times after 3 years people are chompin at the bit for a different ride.

• bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    Great picture! Thanks for sharing it. Mine was a 53 champion coupe. Gray w/ a red top. Sure wish I had it today.
    We will miss out favorite brand. It is just that it is Studebaker.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    So you would take a major hit if GM went under? See I see myself the complete opposite. I really can't see myself going into a GM car. But, probably because my family has never really had much interest in them. Myself, really don't see any car in the line up, other than the new Malibu, that really strikes me with value and class. But, its all what we are used to. Its what we are comfortable with.

I too would be sad, because it affects so many jobs if a company went under. All the family's out there that get hurt. I don't wish that, even for GM. They have so much potential to raise that value bar. This is all my opinion, so nothing personal. The new camaro is amazing!!

That would be neat though to refurbish a few models. The older GM cars are actually better made, and worth more than the new models.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    The MKS is not getting a V8. It is getting a twin turbo, direct injected 3.5L V6 with 350 hp, to be shared with the Taurus SHO, Flex, and Lincoln MKT.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690
    You are the most UNsentimental car enthusiast I have ever met!

I am also intrigued, however, that so many here miss Studebaker so much. Me, I wasn't alive when there were Studebakers being made in the world.

I agree with the general feeling here that the mass manufacturers are all about the same, and none are worth missing. It's a shame we have so few niche carmakers still operating out there. That was part of the reason for my Porsche comment and my mention of Subaru. They are two distinctive, niche automakers still selling new cars in the 21st century. There aren't many, and once Toyota swallows up the remainder of Subaru there will be one less....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Yes I know. I have been accused of linier thinking most of my life. But I only have sentiment for living things. I Philosophy class I once took had a professor that equated affection towards an inadmate object as a sign of superstition. That has stuck with me all these years. I have no brand loyalty in general even if I do tend to bundle things together made by one company. If I get a HP computer I tend to get a HP printer and a HP digital camera. Doesn't mean anything works any better together just fits my sense of order.

Subaru is only distinctive because of it's engine not because it is so different you wouldn't think it came from an asian drawing board. Once Porche decided to build a SUV they lost a edge in the being different game as well. They have no more Panache than BMW and so are simply another car. even thought the position of their engine is different. But get inside a VW SUV or a Porsche SUV with all of the badges removed and one is pretty much like the other.

So if they all went and were replaced by cars made by Gruman, TRW, Matel but were designed to be cost effective and would get us off of foreign oil in the fewest years who would miss the old cars? The old companies never came to my house for dinner of attended Church where I do or invited me over for a Bar-B-Que so what would I care if they were replaced? I would only worry about the lost jobs. The the big six I am nothing more than a number, always have been always will be. To me they are nothing more than a company that thinks of me as a number. No reason to morn their passing.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,346
    I think there is a lot of reason for people who were around at the time to remember Studebaker fondly. They had really nice designs in that time where I got to see new ones. There was a Studebaker dealer that we'd pass every time going up to grandparents house (after Packard got dropped) so that's a nice memory as well.

Historically they were interesting because they were the one manufacturer who successfully went from building carriages to be drawn by horses to building horseless ones. They were doing some very nice things up to the end, the nicest being that Avanti. They just didn't have enough cash to keep going.
    They were interesting.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    What Will I Do When My Favorite Brand Dies?

Buy my second-favorite brand.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    Studebakers were rust buckets, even by the standards of that time (at least until the 1957 Mopars debuted, as they were even worse than the Studebakers). The construction of the front fender guaranteed that debris and dirt would be trapped where the fender was joined to the body. This area also collected water. In the rust belt, it was not uncommon for Studebakers to develop serious rust within one year.

The 1953 models also had a flexible frame that was designed to absorb shocks before they reached the passenger compartment. Only problem was that it made the hardtops feel and sound "junky." The frames were so flexible that, with the hardtops and coupes, when the engine was mounted on the frame, it caused so much flex that the body wouldn't mate properly with the front clip! This delayed production of the Starlight and Starliner coupes. The panel fit wasn't all that great, either.

They were beautiful cars that needed a company with more resources to develop them properly.

Another car that needed more development dollars was the AMC Pacer. It needed a front-wheel-drive layout, and the use of advanced computers to design the body for greater strength and less weight. But AMC couldn't afford those things, so what you got was a futuristic body with outdated underpinnings butchered to fit the unusual proportions.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    The original Pacer concept was to have a Wankel engine sourced from GM. GM abandoned Wankel engine development and AMC had to make do with one of its plodding, antiquated inline sixes.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,681
    how about keeping that car from your favorite brand going by repairing it?
    that's the environmentally responsible thing to do. ;)
  • ronvprronvpr Posts: 24
    Here are a list of manufactures that won't be missed if they left right now and why;
    Kia Don't make anything that Hyundia doesn't. Badly styled abortions that cater to the Jerry Springer wanna be a guest, and illegal alien set.
    Subaru. They ruined the WRX by making it a ugly hatchback. Not that the old one was good looking. Rest of their lineup is a bunch of yawners.
    Mistubishi. I am surprised they are still here. What do they even make except that Evo for the ricer crowd? Never see any of them on the road and dealerships are closing all over the place. R.I.P.
    Suzuki. Stick to the motorcycles. You ain't making it in the car business here with those warmed over 10 year old designed Hyundias and unreliable badged Nissan trucks.
    Acura. Whomever designed the new "face" for Acura should have his job eliminated right now. Just wamed over Hondas anyway. Same historic transmission problems as my wifes Odyssey.
    Infinity. Uglify an already ugly car and you have a Infinty. Everytime I see an FX, I want to throw up. I'm waiting for the clowns to get out of it when I see it stopped at a light. While I'm at Nissan, new Maixima, the Rouge, Murano, Armada, and the Titan must of been designed by a Japanese blind school retard. None of these would be missed one bit.
    Lexus could dump the RX and EX. I mean we had the AMC Pacer. Why bring it back as a RX? EX? Isn't that a Camry? Why pay more for uglier bodywork and free coffee at the dealership?
    Saab and Volvo? Merge them and keep the big Vovlo wagon and sell it through Saturns excellent dealer network. Saturn can keep the Sky and Aura. Saab? Don't know enough about them to keep or dump product.
    Honda can dump all of it's trucks. Ridgeline, Element, and Pilot are just plain stupid looking and useless. You want a truck? Buy a REAL truck. Those jokes Honda are selling are worthless junk after any hard use.
    Pontiac can get rid of its trucks and SUV's. Let Chevy do the truck thing.
    So Kia, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Saab, Subaru, Acura, and Infiniti can go without being missed, eh?

What truck does Pontiac sell? Doesn't it just have the Torrent, a rebadged Equinox?

Not sure how the Lexus RX crossover is a reinvented AMC Pacer, can't grasp the connection there. I bet Lexus won't be dropping the RX and ES, as they are its two highest-selling models.

Me, I would miss Subaru, but not Mitsu or Suzuki. Kia actually has some interesting, Asian-funky models either out or about to be released, including the Soul. Let's allow them a little more time to express themselves... ;-)

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,327
    Don't marry either of them and when their usefullness has expired, move on.

Brands appeal to the underconfident."
  • ronvprronvpr Posts: 24
    Pontiac does sell the Torent. It shouldn't though. With same dealerships selling excellent GMC products, why the overlap? As for getting rid of Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Saab, Suzuki, Acura and Infinity? Yes. I would not miss them at all. You can get the same vehicles without the gold badging, latte' instead of coffee at the dealership ( Acura, Infinity) , arrogant plaid suit sales person, crappy dealer service (the rest) at your basic retard monkey operated Toyota/Honda/Nissan.dealership. As the owner of a Honda Odyssey and a Camry. I can attest to the last statement wholeheartedly.
    If you can't see the resemblence of the RX and the AMC Pacer, you should take another look at that Lexus Bathtub. And I still wouldn't waste any money on anything from Korea. I don't care how much they are wooing Edmunds.com with trips to resorts and dinners for favorable write ups. I ve heard from too many people horror stories about shoddy workmanship and over promising sales reps.
    I stand by my original post.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Some need to, but seriously.....who is going away? With bailout money, and politics, are any really heading to the chopping block?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,620
    I couldn't disagree more. Porsche is one of the few cars left that has a personality. I am one who would miss those, along with Mini, certain BMWs, Subarus, Corvettes and any car that has a distinctive and pleasing personality.

I'm not sure why you spend so much time here if you consider a car just a "tool".

Maybe you can find a website that discusses routers or radial saws. :P

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

are any really heading to the chopping block?

Oh for sure, there were too many competing brands even before the Credit Crunch of '08-9. Right now there are lots of sick puppies out there.

Chrysler, Dodge and probably Hummer and Saab are just about dead. Mercury, Pontiac and GMC are on life support. Lincoln is seriously ill. Jeep and perhaps
    Volvo will probably get new owners who want their brand equity.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    I followed a new Turbo Carrera through town a couple days ago. I rolled down the window to hear that mellow sound coming from the exhaust. It was black and beautiful. I doubt the 911 goes away. It is still the pinnacle of sports cars in the World. When you consider the basic design came out in 1963 it has to be one of the longest running aside from the original VW Bug. That to me shows good original design, when they can just keep improving over several decades. I wish I could justify owning one myself.
    Yes, but fho asked if any are REALLY going away. I'm not personally convinced they are, except Saturn in 4 years (as GM has already announced) and perhaps Hummer if there are really no buyers.

Saab is not going anywhere, the Swedish government will see to that.

Lincoln will be around for a long time I suspect (new product this year, and lots more in the pipeline), and even Mercury probably has a pretty solid future. Ford is committed to this pair. They are stupid to keep Mercury, but they are making a very good attempt to revive the Lincoln line, and they should give it a few years to see if it works.

Pontiac and GMC? Both are in GM's long-term plan, and I'm dead certain that the feds will not allow GM to liquidate as they should. Expect the taxpayers to prop up this pair at least until 2020.

Chrysler and Dodge? Well, they should by all rights be gone by June, but I think the names will continue even if the products do not. The feds will help Fiat take over the brand names and the dealer network, and we will see some Fiats and Ram pick-ups sold under those names for the foreseeable future.

So except for the Hummer devotees, who may actually have to cry in their soup if none of the oil sheiks step up to rescue the brand, everyone's favorite brand is perfectly safe. Thanks Obama. :-|

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,327
    Thanks Obama

And gratitude to using taxpayer's bailout money without their permission. :mad: :mad:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,704
    Hasn't that been the federal MO since income taxes were born?
  • cbrowdercbrowder Posts: 9
    Well you asked and right now one of them is gone, Pontiac. I admit that Pontiac hasnt really been very exciting overall within the last few years, but I saw them like the friend or family member fighting addicition and in recovery. They made mistakes and you saw that they were making their way back to the way they use to be before they got "sick". The firebird, the last GTO(although a sales disappointment), the Soltice, and the G8 led me to believe that they were on the way back and will soon work the G5, Torrent, and Azteks out of their system once and for all..Now, just when I saw progress in Pontiac's recovery, they were announced dead this morning...I hope that at least the G8 can live on as an Impala SS
    .I hope that at least the G8 can live on as an Impala SS

If GM had a lick of sense, they'd slap the Aussie nose on the G8 and sell it as
    a Buick Wildcat or a Chevy Impala, or both!

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,966
    If GM had a lick of sense, they'd slap the Aussie nose on the G8 and sell it as
    a Buick Wildcat or a Chevy Impala, or both!

Unfortunately what they'll probably do is fix the few minor problems with the car (some people complain about the interior quality, and I don't think the stick has a very wide availability), get the car absolutely perfect, and then dump it. :cry:
  • cbrowdercbrowder Posts: 9
    I think a Buick Wildcat would be a great revival for a make that has earned the reputation of being nothing more than calm transportation for older people who want a different car in beige, but I personally think a high performance Buick would step on Cadillac's toes. I mean, who would buy a current DTS or STS if there were a 360hp Buick that would probably be less expensive. People might even pass on a CTS because a Wildcat based on the G8 would have a V8 and is bigger (save for the much more expensive supercharged V version).--My guess if Buick used the G8 platform they would replace the Park Avenue, but even then offering it with a V8 might eat into Cadillac sales and if they only offered the V6 to avoid that, it would be a waste of a good platform, sell poorly, and sink Buick further into the realm of the forgotten...just speculating.
This discussion has been closed.