Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Ramon, go to I-club under general and see a few photos of the meet I posted. A good action shot of a silver RS tearing it up on a dirt lot next to the dealership, my son going out for a wild thrill ride on the lot with others in a WRX with the dealership owner looking on. Pretty fun.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    You got out of a silver manual GC8 OBS and got into the new age black OBS? whoa.... well it is definitively more upscale looking than the GC8 OBS. But whoa!
    And an auto? double whoa! I think the interior is nicer than the old OBS. Is an auto faster than a manual 2.2l? If my 2 day drive on a loaner Forester (auto) was any indication, I'd keep my 2.2l manual OBS for sure. But since you have a sore foot. I think the auto would help greatly. Well good bye to 2 very beutiful silver OBS now. You get bigger 16" wheels too now eh? moving up in the chain I see....

well my weekend was swell too. Our Toronto Suby club had a tech day meet at Brullen exhaust company. It was kewl as we were given a tour and information sessions at Brullen. Also free lunch! =) A few WRXs came. Actually had one hoisted up so that we all can look and get educated with the udnerside of the car. It is very similar to the older Imprezas except that the WRX has 2.5" exhaust piping but curiously dropped to 2.25" as it nears the exhaust. I think it's for clearing purposes.
    Lots of RS came out. It was a great photo op although it rained (yay!!!). Then one of the members let a few of us test drive his WRX. And I was one of the lucky few. It was nice. I know it's faster than my RS. But it sure didn't feel fast until you look at the speedo! The seats are nicer too! But then the glee factor in the new WRX was eclipsed when we test drove a the older WRX. Yup a guy had his RS motor swapped with a WRX (218hp) engine and had some tweaked. It was awesome! That thing just flat out blew the new WRX away! Yikes! Anyways I didn't come out oogling to get a new WRX....yet. Maybe later iterations would make it a better car. STi anyone? =)
    Well congrats on your new toy. Did you swap back out the rims from your old OBS? Don't tell me you traded in your nice Team Dynamics in as well!!! >(
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Congrats! I am excited for you and am looking forward to your future posts on your new car.

If you were in that much pain, continuing to drive the manual may have caused permanent damage? Eeeshk!

-Caroline
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Caroline: that's a shop light. Kind of odd looking because I have a flourescent bulb on it.

I used ramps for mine, not a jack. I agree with ramon that the tires should be weighed down.

-juice
  • Options
    Caroline: I guess I will be stuck with my foot problem and I have to be careful about not wearing toe pinchers and shoes with a thin sole.

In addition I had a 10 speed bike accident while a teen and hurt my neck, didn't haunt me till about 15 years later and my disc is worn pretty badly. The acceleration/deceleration of the stick on one of my sore days really felt miserable along with using left foot/right hand in unison to shift.

Ramon-there is a lag on takeoff when compared to manual however I noticed that if you use 1-2-3 gears instead of just drive you can get a faster takeoff. But wow, when you need to stomp on it to accelerate in a higher speed, I do feel a difference with the bigger engine. It reminds me of an 8-cylinder Maverick my mom had in the 70's.

Yes, I traded my wheels (do now have 16" diameter), but the alloys on it are really decent. Will get the windows blackened on Thursday and looking to get anthracite wheels at some point. At the dealership they had some OZ P-1's I believe they were called, and oh, baby my mouth did water over those!

I bet that older WRX you saw Saturday was a real highlight of the day. How totally awesome. Did you see my pics of our meet Saturday at the I-club under general, something like, "Another day at the races" or something like that. Love those pics of the yellow WRX wagon in New Zealand that guy posted on I-club. Now, I could tolerate that color really well on THAT car!!

You know, I've read some posts about those Brullen exhausts at i-club. Are they really obnoxiously loud?
  • Options
    saw your pictures. Nice. Another Suby outing day.
    Well the tech day was reall informative. I came out much more educated in regards to free flow cats, resonators, mufflers, designs of exhaust pipings, sound quality, back pressure etc...
    Well the Brullen shop themselves can frabricate a muffler to a buyer's need. They have different level of loudness. If you want max loudness and max performance, then a straight thru muffler is what you need. But not suggested for a hatcback car which Brullenman did talk about too. Because hte sound is amplified thanks to the cavernous hatch. For a car with a trunk, the noise is absorbed by the trunk. Yay! =)
    Anyhoo, they can pack in different type of fibre glass strands in b/t the walls of the muffler or resonator to quiet down the exhaust gas flows. So you can choose how loud or quiet you want. My friend who has a full catback Brullen on his Legacy GT is not very loud at all. I even drove at the last autoX. It was quiet but you can definitely hear it when you stomp on it... quite a bit more civilised than my Borla "lets wake up the dead" cat back. =D
  • Options
    OK, here is what I notice so far just driving the new 2002:

1. Horn is MUCH louder
    2. Driver seat adjusts up and down
    3. Lit display on instrument panel for auto transmission (don't know if 2000 had that but it's nice)
    4. Fog lights
    5. Steering wheel feels better in your hands
    6. Steering feels freer, still very solid
    7. Air cond., fan, etc. controls have better layout
    8. Windshield not as long and tall(doesn't taper at the top), keep out sun and glare so you don't feel you're sitting in a greenhouse
    9. Speakers better quality overall, much fuller sound
    10. Windows go up and down much faster
    11. Dash not as long (less total area) to the windshield, this and the fact that vinyl not as shiny, less glare (I used to never Armor-All my dash because of this, the glare would kill me here in Florida, almost constant)
    12. Air conditioner ducts on the outside by windows are round and seem more efficient to aim
    13. Back seat: 3rd middle 3 pt. seatbelt and THREE headrests
    Rear:
    14. Cargo light
    15. Much much easier access to spare tire PLUS a little separate oblong compartment with door behind the door for the spare (like for tools)
    16. Recessed handle in bottom of reat hatch to use to lower the hatch, acts like a place to grab.
    Outside:
    17. Removed roof racks and very easy to take off.
    18. Door handles different design (old ones seemed to hold water after you washed them & these look like they won't do that
    19. The rear window washer has two jets aimed down for quicker better coverage
    20. Potenza RE 92's give quieter ride on the road than the old BF Goodrich T/A offroad tires
    21. Very nice wheels NOT rims & covers
    22. Even quieter ride at highway cruising

ALSO: Ran this one thru a car wash and was watertight. Other one had some small leaks and had read about others noticing this, windows must seal better now

ALSO: Really hated this new upholstery. Now am seeing its merits in hot climate. Not as sticky and hot as other when wearing shorts. Didn't look like it would clean well, but have had the opportunity to see that it does. My kid put his big dirty foot on the seat when climbing into the back at the car wash, because he was going to catch any drips if they came into the back seat area; I would cover the front. Anyway, big old dumb foot mark on seat (kill, kill). Got home, used my upholstery cleaner and came right off, can't believe it!

Of course has the 2.5 liter engine instead of 2.2; with automatic you can get faster starts to shift 1-2-3 before drive and I'm noticing I don't even need drive in town because third gear easily goes to 45 mph.

This is only the second full day I've driven the car but am sure to find out more stuff. These are initial impressions from someone who just traded in a 2000 for a 2002.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Excellent observations, and very useful. Great job. :)

I also like the built-in tie-downs that are on the roof rack rails.

How do you like the handling compared to the old model? We have a '96 Impreza Outback, and I drove a new one a few weeks ago. IMO, I think the new one handles better.

Bob
  • Options
    Great review Celeste. Very detail-oriented.

I thought the Borla was relatively mild as far as aftermarket cat-backs come?

-juice
  • Options
    good details celeste.

juice: I thot so too. But I've eliminated the rear resonator. It is just nice when the windows are down. But when you get the windows up and on the highway, it is not very comfortable on a wagon. It is ok with my RS. Maybe I have become a sissy. =(
    I really like my buddy's Brullen setup in his Legacy GT. But then again, his doesn't freak out all the honda boys at the streets tho. And not to mention setting off alarms when I start up the Scooby. I wasn't even revving! eck!
    Oh well.... I guess while I'm young might as well act stupid. =()
  • Options
    Sounds good. What accessories do you have, or wish you had?

Caroline
  • Options
    Brekke: I'm so content with the way it is all I really need now is the window tint.

rsholland: the steering seems freer, more fluid, still solid, but of course my old car still had the stock off-road tires and the 2002 comes with Potenzas (the brochure says this: rack-and-pinion with engine-speed-sensing variable power assist). Yeah, tie-downs were nice but we took the roof racks off until such time as we need them. Makes the car look sleek and easier to wash/wax.

Oh, yeah, also
    The wheels are 16" instead of 15" (should be able to choose from more after-market wheels, hard to find 15")

The glove box is lighted

The armrest extension is standard and very nice feature.

Gas tank holds 15.9 gallons, I'm not sure but I don't think the 2000 held quite this much. Wish I had a brochure on the old one, probably gave it away!

The dome light, after locking the car at night, dims gradually like a candle going out, looks really cool. We were watching it over and over like a bunch of morons and spacing out over it.

The Subaru brochure lists gas mileage for manual 21/28 and for automatic 22/27. It seems the in-town mileage may be better on the automatic, and I'm hoping to push this by using the 1-2-3 when suitable instead of just drive all the time.

I'll get over the i-club sometime and see if I can't disable the daytime running lights. Don't see the use here in the sunshine state, it's always so bright and I'm the first one to turn on my lights at dusk-dawn or when it clouds up.
  • Options
    aalukeaaluke Member Posts: 11
    I've had my 2002 OBS for about 10 days now. I previously owned a 1998 Civic LX, and was looking forward to getting this car for quite some time. I'm quite pleased with it so far. Here's what I have (pretty much the same as celeste):

2002 Impreza Outback Sport
    Automatic
    Midnight Black
    Remote Keyless Entry (with horn alert turned off now)

The ride is very nice, and the steering is also great. Of the options I sorta wished I'd gotten, they are:

Custom Tailpipe Cover (it just looks nice and the standard tailpipe is so bland)
    Upgraded Speakers (I find the normal system is a bit weak)

One thing that bothers me is the stereo got really hot on one highway trip. I don't remember if I had air conditioning or heat on, but CDs were very warm when I switched them. This is another reason I want a more powerful system (so I don't get near the limits). I don't want to be booming, but I do like the stereo loud when I'm driving alone. There's also no light on the instrument panel for when cruise control is engaged. My Honda had it, so that's why I miss it. Not a big deal. The brakes feel slightly soft, although not weak.

On the cool side of things, the new OBS is one of the coolest-looking wagons I've ever seen. It may lag a bit off the line (automatic), but power delivery is smooth and passing power is quite good (especially compared to my last car). The fabric isn't as bad as I thought, and you don't notice it after a while. Often when I'm coming to the end of my trip (especially going home), I'm always a bit sad because I want to keep driving for a while longer.

The two tanks of gas I've used so far: 24mpg and 22.5mpg. The first was more highway driving than the second.

I chose the OBS over the WRX for financial and practical reasons (I don't need to race, it's covered under warranty if I go offroad and the WRX isn't). I chose the OBS over the TS because I wanted cruise control (and the nice wheels and extra little things helped too). I would have gotten an RS wagon if it were available despite the offroad warranty limitations.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll post pics fairly soon.

Luke
  • Options
    Luke: I'm not sure if I have the stereo upgrade or not, I didn't get my window sticker Saturday when I bought the car and my son was going to bring it to me after he picked up his new Legacy today. Whatever it is, it sounds a LOT better than my 2000 OBS.

Oh yea, I disabled the horn alert today and accidentally held down the panic button. This horn is as loud as the hellas in my Volvo. In panic mode, I thought my ears would split! How wonderful not to have a wimpy horn, I love it! The 2000 horn was a whisper compared to this!!

I have the tailpipe cover, and eventually would like the top spoiler and some antracite wheels.

Get my windows tinted tomorrow. Going to see about possible mirrow tint, might look nice on black. Like 35% mirror, I've heard On my old car with manual I never got over 20 mpg in town. So far I haven't used a full tank to estimate mileage but it looks like it'll be better. I use gears 1-2-3 in town and only drive gear when needed, I think this helps gas mileage and helps with a faster takeoff (helps counteract the lag of starting in drive). Try it and see how you like it. Start in 1st gear, when RPM's get to about 3-3 1/2, shift to 2nd, when RPM's again get to 3-3 1/2, shift to 3rd, and usually in town this is plenty sufficient. The RPM's seldom go over 3-3 1/2 unless you go over about 45 mph.

Ramon: What kind of Brullen setup does your friend have? My older son just picked up his manual Legacy GT today and that exhaust sounds like it would be nice. Now the hot topic around here is putting an air intake on my car. Brother! Do you have one on your RS?
  • Options
    Man, don't mean to sound like a dumb Southerner (oops, no offense to any other person south of Mason-Dixon, I'm down in Florida). Let me correct myself: MIRROR tint. No lie, when I first moved here as a kid I didn't understand why alot of other kids said "mirrow" instead of "mirror".......
  • Options
    My friend's GT has a full Brullen catback. It is a very niec system. 2.25" mandrel bent SS piping. The Brullen exhaust is nice too. Look very much like a Stromung or a Remus. It is not as loud as mine. Just nice IMHO. He has a resonator tho.

I have Larry Ganz's custom intake. Love it. Super easy to install. The gains are awesome. Ppl say it gave a nice wail on WOT. But of course my Borla drowns everything when I go WOT.... =(

My take : go for a nice Brullen custom catback and Larry's intake systm. You'll get awesome performance. Keep your stock wheels for now. It's quite nice actually.
  • Options
    What does WOT stand for??

aaluke: we think alike. I hope to test drive the OBS this week.

celeste: I like the spoiler too, but it seems awfully expensive...I was thinking of getting the rear dust deflector instead. I didn't know the armrest was standard. I also wanted to get the air filter, rear diff protector, cargo net, hood deflector and I'm debating over keyless entry and splash guards.
  • Options
    Wide Open Throttle. Oh yeah baby!!!
  • Options
    aalukeaaluke Member Posts: 11
    brekke: I don't think the armrest extension is standard. I didn't get one because I special ordered, but the rest of the OBS I saw had them. Keyless is totally a personal choice. As for splash guards, I didn't want them because of stories I've heard about regular Outbacks chipping and cracking them on offroad trails.

The more I listen to the stereo, the more I like it. I'm still a little worried about the heat on long trips, but I'm able to turn it up quite loud without distortion.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Isn't that bad for the tranny? A friend of mine ruined the tranny on his Accord that way. Then again it wasn't built by FHI. :-)
    Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the splash guards. I assumed that they would help chipping and cracking, not cause them!

Caroline
  • Options
    Bluesubie: I had read at the OBS club that I think some of those people don't just use drive all the time. I'll do some further research on it though, and check it out. Mainly wanted to see what kind of gas mileage you get like that as opposed to just leaving it in drive. You sure can rip using the gears though!

Brekke: Now I finally have the window sticker for my car. I didn't get it the day I bought.
    You're right the armrest extensions are not standard. On mine it was part of a group: Air filtration system, armrest extension, and cargo net. I love the armrest extension, the storage space is really handy, and the cargo net is so nice. However, I'm not that familiar with the advantages of the air filtration system.

I like the keyless entry because as a woman, getting in my car say like in a dark parking lot at night, I like not having to fumble with my lock and have the car open when I walk up to it. They say the quicker you get in your car and lock it the safer you are in a questionable parking area. I also think it saves scratches on the paint with keys locking and unlocking the car. Also the new keyless entry has the horn signal on lock and unlock if you want it (I disabled as the horn is loud), but there is a panic button you can push that will make your horn pulse and lights flash on and off to get attention if you needed it. It will also give you a heart attack if you do it unawares, which I found out the other day. Don't know what the spoiler costs, but figure it is expensive. Not right now, maybe later.

Ramon: That intake was what, $120? Does it come with a filter? On that Brulen exhaust, where does the resonator go? Made by Brulen?
  • Options
    OK, OK, I guess the Subymamma's out to pasture now. I'll have to search that on the i-club. I did ask for input yesterday. What I need is some more dollars to get a manumatic, oh yeah! What is GB-Great Britain? Special order? Does that resonator on the exhaust quieten things down? When do we see pics of your car? wanna see, wanna see....
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    GB- group buy.

yea, ramon, pics!
  • Options
    in time... it's kinda weird that I am not as gung ho with my new car than when I had my OBS. =( Must be that first love thingy. Anyone agree? I kinda miss that round butt of my OBS once a while.

yes the resonator is this chamber which has some kinda perforation and the walls are stuff with more fiber glass strands to absorb the sound wave thus eliminating that drony sound. Good resonators have that. your local meineke or Speedy shops have a tube with perforations only.

I think in town, driving in 3rd should suffice no? What's the top speed for your 3rd gear in your auto OBS celeste?
  • Options
    Subies have a lot of character. I think you just miss the old one, no biggie.

-juice
  • Options
    give me a hug! >_< Now I really miss my 2.2l silverthorn OBS!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Ramon: I miss mine, too. When I see pictures of if it it's like seeing a long lost friend. :(

I miss that cute little butt with my two spoilers, now I have zero spoilers.... sob!

By the way as soon as we get this one waxed I'll take pictures and post. Got the windows tinted dark and on the black it's righteous looking! Even got the windshield tinted (lightly) and wow, what a haven from this awful flaming ball down here we call "sun".

My top speed in 3rd gear is around 45 mph so it works good for in town. Last tank of gas (shifting) I got 18 mpg. This tank I'm leaving it in drive to see what the mileage is. With my manual the most I could get in town is 19 mpg.

Sometimes I hope maybe I'll see someone at an I-club meet with my old car (then feel a little jealous)....
  • Options
    my friend just told me he saw my old OBS in town. I guess it's sold. Hope it's to a good family. :~(
    I should have my new pix by next week or something...
  • Options
    linsavylinsavy Member Posts: 13
    Hi Ramon,
    I have read many of your posts on the Edmunds boards. You appear to know all about Imprezas. Since we are neighbours, I was wondering if you could answer a question or two.

I have a '97 Impreza L wagon. I want to upgrade to the 18mm rear sway bar. Do you know if the 18mm out of the RS is the same shape? Does it bolt right on? I was thinking that if so, I could order it from the dealer.
    I recall that you swapped out the sway bar on your Outback sport, where did you get the sway bar?
    I am trying to avoid buying from the US and paying bucks for brokerage and shipping.

If the RS one fits, I would also buy one from someone would had upgraded their RS to something thicker. Is there anyone in your suby club that has a surplus one?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    2002 OBS, silver. I'm glad I waited because the new impreza wagons are so darn cute! Silver looked much better in person, i was gonna get white but changed my mind when I saw it. They didn't have any imprezas in black but I'm sure they look sweet too. A Blue Ridge Pearl TS looked awfully nice too.

They had at least a half dozen WRXes on the lot, including blaze yellow. Nobody was looking at them (except me). All the WRX wagons I looked at were automatic. Imprezas are not popular here on LI, I've only seen one 2002 on the road so far and that was a green OBS. I don't know if I'm going to be laughed at or admired when I get my Subie and i don't care.

I couldn't tell much from the test drive because I was trying to get used to the clutch, shifter and driving position which was much different than my Integra. They drive like two totally different animals. I will say the car was very quiet and felt solid and tight. I was expecting the door to be rattly but it made a nice "thunk" sound. (My car's door is *very* rattly) Overall the build quality reminded me very much of a VW Golf I test drove recently. One of my co-workers is a VW nut and is always bragging how much better VWs are than Japanese cars. He tried to talk me into the Golf. I think he may be surprised when he sees my OBS.

However I have a new appreciation for my old car, it's so light and easy to drive compared to the OBS. But I am sure I will get used to the OBS soon enough. (in 8 weeks when it arrives)

Celeste, I sprung for the spoiler. I was looking at the WRX wagon and an OBS with the rear dust deflector side by side, and I knew I would regret not getting the spoiler. Of course my BF started making noises about how it's unnecessary, they have to drill holes in my car to install it, etc. etc. so I agreed to order the trailer hitch to shut him up.

Geez, after all the reseach and speculation, actually buying the car was anticlimactic.

Also, my dealer won't let me charge the car on my Suby mastercard. Rats!

-Caroline
  • Options
    the stock sway bar on the Imprezas are the same in size irregardless of which models...RS, L, TS, OBS all carries 13mm bar. Apparently you can actually get the sway bar (18mm or 20mm) from your local suby dealer. let me go look for the part number for it aight.
    All the Impreza sway bars are the same in pattern. This applies to the GC8 models and not the latest new age Impreza. Incidentally the new RS still uses 13mm anti roll bars. However not sure if it's the exact same fit tho.
  • Options
    Bruce: the 18mm bar will fit, even on the Forester (I have one).

You need the sway bar itself, there are 18 and 20mm sizes. You also need the bushings, since the old ones will no longer fit. OE Subaru bushings are rubber and carry a separate part number, plus you need two.

Sorry I don't have specific part numbers, but the parts guy should be able to figure it out.

-juice
  • Options
    Here's what I found. No idea for 18mm tho. Try going to a Subaru dealership and order them. I wonder how much is it. I thin kit's in the neghbourhood of $130 CDN.

20mm SB - SOA part # 20450FA040

Bushing - 21047GA671
  • Options
    rgsjr99rgsjr99 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Ramon, Celeste, Everyone!

I just got an '02 OBS and absolutely love it! I traded a Dakota 4x4 Sport and thought I'd miss the power ... not for a minute. I have had many different cars and this Subaru has the be the best (except maybe for my 76 Grand Prix which was way too much fun). Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the community.

Take Care,
    Rich
  • Options
    Rich! U'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance of this lil Subaru.
  • Options
    swampwizswampwiz Member Posts: 5
    I want this information, but I can't find it anywhere. As for the Subaru site - it seems to be down.
  • Options
    around 61.6 cu ft with the rear seats folded down
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Caroline is right on w/the 61.6 cu ft. I'm not sure what it is w/the seatbacks up though. I do know that the slanted tailgate eats into the available room more than the OB of which I traded in on a WRX wagon. I think the previous Impreza wagon listed something like 25.5 cu ft w/seatbacks up. I don't think this has increased any on the new Impreza...but not sure.

A few weeks ago I carted home a JVC 27" TV but had to fold the seatbacks down for the box to clear the tailgate when closed. Had a lot of extra space around the box though.

Stephen
  • Options
    FWIW, if you're looking for a slightly bigger wagon, check out the Forester. Same chassis, same wheelbase length, same engine, similar weight even (OBS to Forester L at least). The boxier rear means you can fit taller cargo, and it's still nimble and fun to drive.

Or just get a hitch and a small utility trailer!

;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Hey, Rich, welcome... what color is your new OBS? Mine is the black... I'd love the spoiler but will wait on that for now.

Took the roof crossbars off RIGHT AWAY and stored them. It'll be so much easier to wash & wax the roof of the car, and I don't want anything on those crossbars rusting in place. The crossbars on my 2000 OBS were just impossible to remove.

Brekke: congratlations... silver's nice, I probably would have bought that color if the black wasn't already sitting there and I got a little better price because of that... and it looks really nice with the DARK window tint against that black paint. When you get your spoiler, you'll have to post pictures over at the yahoo Outback Sport club.

When you say your other car was lighter and easier, are you referring to the shifting? The Subaru was quite different shifting than the Volvos I had always driven. The clutch on the Subie seemed to engage really high, so I had to ease the clutch almost all the way out before giving gas when upshifting.
  • Options
    If you see your old OBS do you think you'll feel a little twinge of jealousy? If so, I can dig that because I swear if I ever see my old one it would be like seeing an old boyfriend on a date with someone else!
  • Options
    i meant lighter and easier because my current car weighs about 800 lbs less and you can feel the difference. But my car is rattly, the Sube felt safer and more solid & tight. I was really pleased with that. I also did not notice a "mushy" brake feel.

My clutch engages real low, so I wasn't used to having to lift my knee to my chest before it engaged. Also the Sube shifter was lower (which looks cooler anyway) and stiff (not broken in, obviously). Mine is loosey-goosey and a much longer throw. It will just take some getting used to I guess. I am not complaining.
  • Options
    Hi Celeste, I got the Alpine White OBS. I had a black car before and my wife has one now. Although they look stunning when clean, we live off of a major road and keeping it clean is a chore and a half. Then I was thinking about the red but I have an older Mustang in the back that is very close to that shade. So .. I decided to break up the color scheme of the driveway :)

Hey Ramon, is there a red, white and black flag?
  • Options
    I've noticed an occasional single click and sometimes what sounds like a BB hitting a fry pan from the drivetrain either when upshifting under load or when "unloading" (putting the clutch in under load) the drivetrain. Is this normal feedback from the AWD system? Reading the prior posts it sounds like it but thought I'd ask.
  • Options
    would definitely cause a stir. And you know what? Out of the entire country, I only know of 2 OBS that has sideskirts. And mine is tinted! So I KNOW which OBS is mine if I see a silver OBS. Not sure about the first bf/gf thingy.
    celeste, don't u find dark coluor to be so darn hard to keep clean?! =(
  • Options
    How do you find the power of the 2.5L with the 5-speed? It was hard for me to gauge on my test drive. When I get mine in a few weeks we can compare notes! I feel like we all got puppies from the same litter.

Caroline
  • Options
    Ramon: Black's not as bad as I thought as I'm in the city and it's never near dirt roads, etc... actually shows lint and dust more than dirt. Now on our old street, it was a dirt road, kind of clay and would get muddy and sloppy, yuck! As I said before, I would have liked silver again but the black was already on the lot and we got a better deal because of that. Geez, we wash about every 7-10 days, anyway! Dirt doesn't get to stick around much on my car! I'm hoping to get 'er waxed Sunday and takes some pics. The black color looks really nice with tinting.

Brekke: Puppies from the same litter (hah!) that's a good one, a bunch of little mongrels. I joke that the front of mine looks like a pug with the two tone black and beige/gray/whatever, and bug eyes. I think JuJu would be good name.

Mine's an automatic but compared to my 2.2 OBS with manual: can't quite rip as fast from a stop, with the manual you can really do power lauches that are fun, but in the upper end on hard acceleration, like freeway driving, I adore the extra power of the 2.5. Just is quieter on the road, and when you floor the accelerator, there's quite a bit of power. It almost reminds me of a punchy little 8 cylinder Maverick my mom used to own. Once you get the hang of the Subie clutch, you'll be impressed. Sometimes it was a little tricky to get my car in R, but I found if I went to N first, back and forth, then over and down, it helped.

rqsjr99: White's a really nice color. It's probably the color I should have in this land of the relenteless sun (Fla.), but I have my windows tinted real dark already, so black's still not too bad.
  • Options
    Oh yea, if your clutch in the Subie engages really high like mine did, be careful not to give more gas till you let it out easy and it's almost all the way up. Some guy on the i-club recently posted about why his shifts weren't smooth and that was why. Also recently I taught my kid to drive on my 2000 OBS and he was always trying to give too much gas before the clutch was all the way up. I had to pound it into his head to leave off the gas until he eased the clutch all the way up. Then to gradually give gas for a smooth shift. All you have to keep in mind is the point where your clutch engages.
This discussion has been closed.