Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• Options
    paddingtonbearpaddingtonbear Member Posts: 16
    Just when I thought the mental agony of car shopping was over. After deciding on (and ordering) a loaded silver XC w/graphite interior, I've just been told that it will take three months to get it! If I want to skip the navigation system and the upgraded audio (4 in-dash & surround sound speakers), then they could get me one immediately. I'm very willing to skip the nav sys., but I really wanted the audio. Plus, for resell it seems a 40k car needs that luxury. So... Can I put in an upgrade after-market system in this car and still use the steering wheel controls? I'm sure I would have to forego having the 9 speakers because the car wouldn't come with them and I probably wouldn't be able to install them easily, if at all. Probably not a problem because most people say any decent after-market sys will sound loads better than the best factory. Anyone done an after-market on the 2001 XC? Ideas? Thoughts?

Oh, and LancerFixer - I wouldn't be blasting the tunes with my kids in the car, of course! Row, row, row your boat just doesn't have that much base anyway. :)
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I say skip the nav system (it's more of a gimmick anyway, and besides, I think of all the different nav systems out there, only Acura has gotten theirs right) but definitely, get the upgraded stereo!
  • Options
    ripkenfanripkenfan Member Posts: 2
    Wondering what you think of the new xc lease offer from Volvo: 39 mo lease, $469 per mo, other charges are capitalized cost reduction of $1,295, and acquisition fee of $495. Cars have sunroof, metallic paint, premium & touring package and gross capitalized cost of $38,850. Appreciate your thoughts.
  • Options
    kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    Me and my wife chose the black with sand interior. I also think the darker the color the better. I only wish they would make a T5 AWD it would be the best car out in volvos line up. The R will hopefully kill thrist for the T5.
  • Options
    With an AWD S60 in the works, it wouldn't be at all surprising if the V70 R made its return, as well.
  • Options
    rfindlingrfindling Member Posts: 2
    We've had our XC for two years and while we love the ride and comfort, we've experienced many of the same problems mentioned in this bulletin board. Our 15,000 mile service cost $200.31; 7,500 mile service was $128.40. We had a door strap fail, the master electric window controls have been replaced 4 times under warranty, a shock failed and was replaced. Headlights have burned out.

Took the car in @ 17,000 miles to have the brakes checked and they were ok, but @ 24,500 had to have new pads, rotors and disc kit in front $385.10, dealer stated this is normal wear. Have had a recurring oil drip at the turbo, An alignment was $147.58! We're now at 28,000 and have been getting recurring reminders regarding the need for an $1,100 - 30,000 mile service, I could go on.

When this car clears warranty it's gone. It's unfortunate Volvo is no longer producing reliable vehicles. We had multiple Toyota AWD wagons with great satisfaction. I guess it's either Volkswagen or Subaru now that Toyota has scraped the AWD wagon line. We don't like high profile SUV's and the selection of AWD wagons isn't good.
  • Options
    "We don't like high profile SUV's and the selection of AWD wagons isn't good"
    Well, I'm with you on the not liking SUVs part, but the selection of AWD wagons has never been better. We've got:

VW Passat
    Volvo XC
    Subaru Forester (I don't care what anyone says; it's NOT an SUV.)
    Subaru Outback
    Subaru Impreza
    Audi A4
    Audi A6
    Mercedes Benz E Class
    BMW 325xi

Granted, these selections tend toward the pricey end of the scale, and it's too bad Toyota basically considers the Highlander to be its Camry wagon, but I think they serve as a nice counterbalance to the lemmings in their SUVs.
  • Options
    Decided not to wait three months for my loaded XC. Am accepting one already on the lot. It doesn't have the navi, but that's OK. It also doesn't have the premium sound or third row, but the dealer is putting the third row and premium audio in. I'll have the 4 in-dash system, but not the surround (9) speakers. Also, with all the agony I've put myself through over whether to get the graphite interior with the silver, I've decided to go for the polar artic with taupe interior. It's just prettier, and well... I could stand to brighten up a bit!
  • Options
    njs2njs2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the XC wagon but am concerned about a couple of things. If I understand correctly, the seatbelts are the pretensioner kind that require a locking clip for carseats. Does anyone know something different than that or have any opinions on carseats in this car?

Also, my daughter is almost 4 years old. I had her sit in the 3rd row seat to see how well she fit and the seatbelt cut across her face so it appears she's too small still for the 3rd row. Does anyone have small children that sit in the 3rd row and what are your experiences with the seatbelt?
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #110:

as I recall, the locking clip is built into the seatbelt on the V70. Look on the backside of the latch and I think there is a red slider you move to lock the seatbelt length.

Regarding the small child issue, our son is 5 but he is an only child so he sits in the 2nd row on one of the built in boosters (which are much better than any aftermarket booster I might add). Personally I wouldn't put a child in a 3rd row seat unless it was for just short trips around town (never anywhere at highway speed with danger of being rear-ended by a large vehicle - say a semi). If you have a large family and have to use a 3rd row seat I would seriously consider moving to one of the few high safety rated minivans instead (or wait for the Volvo SUV if you must).

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@worldnet.att.net
  • Options
    rboilardrboilard Member Posts: 25
    Paddingtonbear....
    I'm not sure who told you 3 months but it isn't true. I'm in New England and wanted an XC with the Nav and upgraded stereo. The dealer did a search for it and came up with zero. So I ordered from the factory and it took 6 weeks. I pick up my fully loaded Nautic Blue XC tommorrow 8/3. Hopefully it will treat me better than my 99 Grand Cherokee ever did. Good Luck....
  • Options
    Just read Paddingtonbear last message on settling for a car on the lot. You should get what you want never settle. We said we wanted a certain color with the upgrade stereo, nav, and third row. 6 weeks later its here. Even Acura is claiming 6 months on the MDX, but I gaurantee that if you put an order in for one of those they'd be calling you in 30 days. Your paying a lot of money for a car get what you want.
  • Options
    I've already excepted one in the pipeline and picked it up this last Tuesday. I had checked with other dealers and they said the same thing. If I had known it would only take 4-6 weeks, I probably would have waited. Oh well. Still, I was having doubts about getting the navi, anyway. I wasn't sure if I was overpaying and getting suckered into marketing to the affluent (not that I really am). I really would have liked the full upgraded audio, though. Drats! In any case, I really like the car that I received. I decided that I wanted the silver at the last minute (actually, after the last minute) and they got it for me. I like the car even more than I remembered. It is so comfortable and smooth. I also really like the looks. Thanks to all for your comments over the last couple of months.
  • Options
    sondagsakaresondagsakare Member Posts: 14
    I chose over black: Dark-colored cars break your heart. And you didn't want the nav system anyway; in two years it will be outmoded. Use a remote system instead. The car is comfortable, yes. I had my first chance to see my silver T5 next to an Allroad, and the Allroad looked...dated.
  • Options
    veeikleveeikle Member Posts: 13
    had a 98 XC for three years....3 years of mechanical problems..3 years of poor customer service...my lease ended 6 months ago...volvo has seen the last of me...I leased a 98 benz 4 matic wagon with 45000 miles pristine condition....starmark warranty..about the same cost as a new XC.....no contest...the car and the level of customer service at mercedes is excellent
    for the first time since my 83 528e bmw....I can say i am totally happy!!
  • Options
    willwallwillwall Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 XC which did not come with the optional Third Row Seat in the back. Now that my kids are getting bigger, I'm considering having one added. I'm aware of the safety concerns, but feel that seat belts should be adequate. Has anyone had experience having one of these put in? I think the dealer is asking $1,800!
  • Options
    Well I do have to apologize Paddingtonbear. Apparently you are correct on the wait for a new XC. If orderers were not received by the first week in June than there would be a long wait. Between now and the introduction of the 2002 they have to move what ever is in the country. I made the deadline by 2 days and lucked out. Picked the XC up on friday and so far so good. Just have to get used to the fact its a station wagon not a truck that i'm so used to. As far as the Nav package goes, there always the atlas. As far far as it being outmoded in 2 years i don't know if i agree. Seeing that the Nav system is basically a computer drive in the back that can be programed with updated CD's. Technology may change a little but the the overall system will work for a long time. Haven't had a chance to play with mine yet Volvo sent me California's CD which doesn't help me when i live on the east coast.
  • Options
    willwallwillwall Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Manhattan, and just took my '98XC in for its 30k mile servicing. I was shocked to hear that the dealer charges $895 for this. Does this make sense? Will other dealers be significantly less? After a lot of effort, he finally showed me the 'menu' of services performed. However, he would not break down the price on a per item basis. I just can't believe that it should cost this much. I would appreciate any thoughts from other owners.
  • Options
    evilizardevilizard Member Posts: 195
    Check out post #107, dealer wanted to stick him for $1100 for the 30K service. He should talk to your dealer. What do they do for all that money?
  • Options
    genghis721genghis721 Member Posts: 53
    We really liked the 2001 XC we test drove. However, I feel a bit concerned buying a 5cyl automobile with only 197 hp. Hwy driving is important in this part of TX, so passing power is a must. Can anyone give me some real world experience with this car for hwy maneuvers?
  • Options
    I'd say the power of the XC is more than adequate, myself.
  • Options
    Yes, "only"... 2.4L and 197hp are low numbers in my book. A Ford Escape has 200hp itself, and costs 10K less (I know, not the same class of luxury, but both a psuedo-SUV).

I test drove a C230Kompressor today, which has 190 some odd horses. It's a little 3300lb coupe, and it performed well with the engine (not amazing, but good enough to feel comfortable buying it). I'm thinking the same horsepower won't feel quite as nice in the volvo with an extra 400lbs.

We have a 4.0L sohc 205hp/250ftlb engine in our explorer. That's a relativly heavy (4166+) vehicle, and it needs all of that engine to get it flying... it is quick with the power plant (once the revs catch up).

To look at a $35K+ vehicle, and it only have 5 cylinders, is a bit disconcerting to my basic sensibilities... especially considering the bad press on service I have heard about. I hope to be proven wrong, as we liked the car basically.
  • Options
    Yes, "only"... 2.4L and 197hp are low numbers in my book. A Ford Escape has 200hp itself, and costs 10K less (I know, not the same class of luxury, but both a psuedo-SUV).

I test drove a C230Kompressor today, which has 190 some odd horses. It's a little 3300lb coupe, and it performed well with the engine (not amazing, but good enough to feel comfortable buying it). I'm thinking the same horsepower won't feel quite as nice in the volvo with an extra 400lbs.

We have a 4.0L sohc 205hp/250ftlb engine in our explorer. That's a relativly heavy (4166+) vehicle, and it needs all of that engine to get it flying... it is quick with the power plant (once the revs catch up).

To look at a $35K+ vehicle, and it only have 5 cylinders, is a bit disconcerting to my basic sensibilities... especially considering the bad press on service I have heard about. I hope to be proven wrong, as we liked the car basically.
  • Options
    ...over price of the vehicle and the number of cylinders. I may be nuts, but overall power is the one of the last items on my checklist. I look for things like handling and safety features first. Sure, 250-300 hp is fun, in a sports car. As long as the power is adequate in my family vehicle to get the car up to highway speed quickly and stay there without undue effort, I'm happy. Beleive it or not, my four cylinder, 114 hp, '89 Volvo 740 non-turbo does this quite well. The engine has a lot of mid-range punch. Remember, a car going down the highway at normal speed is only making about thirty or so horsepower anyway.
    It helps a lot to have a manual transmission. In fact, personally, I'd go with a regular V70 over the XC BECAUSE I can get it with a manual transmission. I know, I represent like 10 percent of the buying demographic, but there it is.
    Re: your Explorer vs. the Volvo. Yes, they weigh about the same, but the Volvo is much more aerodynamic, and it has a five-speed automatic vs. a four-speed.
    It's important not to tie a vehicles overall performance to a number. If the car feels right, buy it. I've driven the last generation XC and found it to have plenty of power. I'm not sure how much weight it's gained in the redesign, though.
  • Options
    seymore11seymore11 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of any good leasing deals in the Midwest? Any suggestions about what might be a reasonable price??
  • Options
    arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    LOL... I just and help myself. I happened to be passing thru this discussion group. I have to say this. Its very silly to compare the Explorer(death trap likely to blow a tire or roll over), the Escape(tin can on wheels) or the C230(enough room to fit a person if he straddles the stick) to the V70. I am not a Volvo owner nor am I planning to buy one soon. But I have test driven it and use it as a benchmark in safety to compare against my flimsy yet cheaper Japanese vehicles, which are better yet than their equivalent Ford counterparts.

Do you understand what I am getting at? A car that's right for you may be totally wrong for me. Given that, there are still some basic facts everybody should be able to agree on. Right?
  • Options
    You make some good points. As long as the power is effective (adequate in my mind it gets the ball rolling, but that's it) then the car should be good. My true question is "what can people tell me about their real world experiences with this vehicle, especially with regards to highway performance?"

By the way, the Explorer does have a 5 speed Auto, not a 4. This has been a great car for us. It is AWD, gets ok gas mileage for its class (21 avg), and has alot of zip when you need it. The bad points are the same as for most US cars -- road noise and cheap seats.
  • Options
    "..Explorer(death trap likely to blow a tire or roll over)..."

All I have to say is that there are too many people out their driving SUV's as if they were sedans. That and poor tire manufacture.

"...Escape(tin can on wheels) ..."

Have to agree with you. Better handling than I expected though.

"...C230(enough room to fit a person if he straddles the stick)..."

You are either 7 ft tall, or have never test drove this car. It was very roomy for a coupe, and the back seats felt easier to sit in than the S60.

Basic facts? Well, I can agree that there is alot of give and take out there when you are trying to decide on a car. My question is "how does the XC perform in the real world"?
  • Options
    lizwflizwf Member Posts: 1
    I like to drive on 4WD roads in the mountains and deserts of CA but would like an alternative to an SUV for this activity. I have not found much information in this discussion group about the performance of the V70 XC vs 4WD vehicles like Toyota 4Runner or Nissan Pathfinder off paved roads, and would appreciate comments from owners/drivers of the V70 XC regarding its capabilities and limitations under these conditions.
  • Options
    I don't know where in the midwest you live, and I don't know how their lease deals shake out, but I recommend Jim Arenson Chevrolet and Imports (Mercedes and Volvo) in Center Point, IA. I had a very good sales experience with them, and their service department is quite good, too.
  • Options
    I to must admit I was concerned about the power in the V70XC. I was use to a 4.7L V8 with plenty of juice in my SUV. I've now owned my XC for couple of weeks now and must admit, as you've read, the power is more then adequate for highway as well as city driving. The gas mileage is beter than most SUVs as well. As far as comparing the XC to the Ford Escape, come on. I do believe someone called it a tin can on wheels. The overall quality, safety and resale value of the Volvo will put any Ford to shame. I believe that if you want to compare the XC use marquee like BMW and Mercedes, then compare pricing and see that you will get more for your money with the XC.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I assume since you said 4.7L it was either a Land Cruiser(LX470) or a Seqouia. Comparing those two big rigs to the Volvo, which feels quicker?

Also, what sort of mpg are you getting so far?

Thanks!

Kirk
  • Options
    Actually the 4.7L was in a Grand Cherokee. But I have driven the Seqouia. The Seqouia was on my list. I've found that the V8s are going to give you more power for towing and such but check out the 0 to 60 times. The XC beats most V8 SUVs in that category. If you are concerned about the power aspect of things take the XC for an overnight test drive. Most dealers will allow this. I actually had a 4 day test drive. I had the vehicle 2 days and brought it back, test drove other vehicles, overnight. Then went back and asked for the XC again. A 10 or 15 minute drive with a salesman in the car isn't good enough if you're planning on spending $40k. I reccommend that with any vehicle you buy take it overnight and hit the highway, city, and country driving. Whatever you do the most of and see if you like it. I will say this, its not a V8, but the power is just fine with 197HP, you will just have to sacrifice the ability to tow anything over 3300lbs. I believe you'll be more than satisfied.....Good Luck

Quicker - Volvo to me
    Over all Power the V8s will give you that
    Gas mileage - Brand new, right now I'm averaging 20 MPG
  • Options
    arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    I would buy a Volvo XC over the Sequoia I am geting now. In Cleveland there are two Volvo dealers and both are on the far eastern suburbs. There is no Volvo dealership within 30 miles of my house. (And no, I don't live in the boonies.) I just dont want to drive way out my way to get this thing serviced.

If anybody from Western suburbs of Cleveland do read my post, please tell me where you get your Volvo serviced.

Cheers.
  • Options
    tribble1tribble1 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing what I call "shift shock". At various times when the A/T is shifting up from a lower range there is an audible thunk that seems to be comming from the rear end, it can be felt also. Dealer has twice said that was the nature of the beast and that diagnostics showed no problem. Also just recently I hear a whine like sound when I decelerate. Any ideas? Thanks
  • Options
    I had a car that thunked when changing gears... most notably from a stop. It was due to a coupling in the drivetrain that was loose. A recall fixed the problem. This may not be what's happening with your car, but it wouldn't hurt to inquire.
  • Options
    modelmanmodelman Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 V70 VOLVO T5 WITH 17 IN WHEELS AND TIRES. I FOUND THE TIRES WERE RUBBING ON THE WHEEL WELLS WHEN THE THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED TO THE END IN EITHER DIRECTION. THE DEALER REPLACED AN IMPULSE LIMITER AND INCREASED THE OVERALL TURNING RADIUS BEYOND THE SPECIFIED 35.8". THE TIRES STILL RUBBED BUT NOT AS BAD SO THEY REPLACED THE IMPULSE LIMITER AGAIN AT VOLVO'S RECOMMENDATION.
    NOW THE TURNING RADIUS IS 50' AND TAKES 2 MOVES TO BACK OUT OF A PARKING SPACE. THE STEERING WHEEL TURNS ONLY 2 COMPLETE REVOLUTIONS NOW. I'VE CALLED THE DEALER AND VOLVO IS WORKING ON THE PROBLEM. DOES ANYONE ELSE WITH 17" TIRES HAVE THEM RUBBING ON THE INNER WHEEL WELLS? YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR ABRASIONS. MAYBE THE 16" TIRES DO IT TOO!
  • Options
    cubfancubfan Member Posts: 2
    On hot days with the A/C on and my foot on the brake the car shakes rattles and rolls, the dealer says its normal!? I have to slip it into neutral at the stop lights to lessen the vibes.
    Anybody havin the same experience?
  • Options
    Some vibration at stop is normal (especially with the A/C on) but if putting it in neutral reduces it you might be talking engine vibration as opposed to A/C vibration. If you turn the A/C off and rev your engine a little bit does it go away?

As cars get older and the engines get out of tune it is normal for vibrations to increase but you might check out your motor mounts. A bad motor mount is the most common cause of excessive engine vibration. Motor mounts, if poorly designed, manufactured, placed or exposed to chemical attack can go out in as little as 2-3 years. They are basically giant chunks of rubber.

If your dealer is giving you the usual "Its normal" runaround you might have an independant mechanic take a look at it for you.
  • Options
    itl337itl337 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm almost ready to buy a XC. Does anyone know how much more a 2002 would cost? I'd like to wait a couple of months, but don't want to get stuck having to pay a lot more. On the other hand, does anyone have any info on improvements the 2002 will have? Thanks.
  • Options
    multithreadedmultithreaded Member Posts: 5
    As owner of a 2001 V70 base (167HP), I was torn between buying the V70 base, 2.4T and XC. I frequently rented the 2001 V70 XC and have about 4K miles experience with them. I found in real-life situations that from a standing stop, on a flat road, all three cars provided similar acceleration. All were aggressive and got the car moving with the feel you would expect from a "sportswagon". I actually liked the feel of the base engine (non-turbo) over the 197 HP Turbo from the standing-stop for what I perceived to be a very faint turbo-lag in the XC and the 2.4T. I ultimately chose the base V70 for a number of reasons and have been very pleased.

However, three or four times a year I take a trip up to Stowe, Vermont. This past week, for the first time, I really noticed where the base V70 does not pass muster -- that's in the mountains. On past trips when I've used the 2001 XC for the trip, the turbo always kicks in when I was ascending the occasional 7 and 10% grades. The XC always quickly accelerated up these hills. The base V70 on the other hand requires the pedal down close to the floor to maintain speed and pinned to get very smaller accelerations. This acceleration is quite important when you need to pass tractor trailors on the small NewHampshire/Vermont rolling hills that have very short slow-traffic lanes.

In regards to overall New England road driving, when driving the XC I was never lacking for power and don't remember ever needing to press the accelerator more than three-quarters of the way to the floor.
  • Options
    That's the kind of experience comparison I was looking for. Hwy driving at 70+ in low hills is a central Texas necessity. I had no doubts the XC would do just fine in rush hour HOuston, but had my doubts about hills. Now I see it will probably do well.

How loaded with gear/peopl are you for the VT driving?
  • Options
    multithreadedmultithreaded Member Posts: 5
    Most of the time, when I was really punching the engine, it was just me (240lb) and a little gear (60lbs). But for overall driving (including a lot of hill climbing), I had the whole family and a weeks worth of winter luggage (~640 lbs total). I can't say I noticed much of a difference either way, for as I said previously, I was never lacking for more power.

However, I never did tow anything, nor did I have any roof or trunk mounts.
  • Options
    ..I would use my F150 anyway (best automobile I have ever owned) unless it was mountain bikes or my wife's catamaran ... both light.

Is a trailer hitch an option on the XC?
  • Options
    tomislavtomislav Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've got a dealer demo car with 17,500 miles in my driveway on an overnight test drive. Polar ice/taupe leather, touring package, cold weather, 3rd seat. The dealer has a "no-dicker" price of $34,500 on it.

I can't get any price guidance from Edmund's, since they don't rate this car yet. Does anyone know what "blue book retail" for this car is?

I'm grateful for any help, however I *am* comfortable driving a car that's been an orphan for a year, so please don't tell me what a mechanical disaster it's going to be.

Thanks, Tom Marincic
  • Options
    erbrockerbrock Member Posts: 1
    I was 12 hours away from picking up a Toyota 4Runner I had left a deposit on, when I decided to take one last look at the XC at my local dealer. I backed out of the Toyotal deal.

Toyota's are great vehicles and, in my opinion, are gold plated when it comes to reliability, but I decided that I just didn't want to be driving a metal box down the road. Further more, while I drive off road on a regular basis, the extremely capable 4wd abilities of the 4Runner would mostly go to waste. The 4Runner does have a great stability control system, similar to the Subaru VDC.

I'm going to go with the XC, probably a 2002 via the overseas delivery. I've never owned a Volvo, and I really don't know anyone who has, but my vanity requires I drive something a little different. I'm guessing that the Volvo will require a bit more maintenance than a Toyota, but hopefully it won't be too bothersome. A stability control system is available on the V70. Couldn't Volvo get one to work with the XC. I'm sure they'll come out with one for the XC the model year after I buy mine.

eric
  • Options
    squigssquigs Member Posts: 1
    I'm taking my 2001 XC to Martha's Vineyard where you can take the vehicles out on the beach. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before? It's not hard packed parking lot next to the beach it would actually in the soft beach sand/dunes. Since I don't have a low drive do you think I will get stuck??? Any tips, advice or concerns would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Try looking at www.autotrader.com. See what others around the nation are asking for a similar vehical. When I was looking I saw a lot of dealer demo's availible. Price Seems kind of high to me.

Volvo is going to require more than just a "bit" more maintence than the toyota. Its also substantially more expensive. The scheaduled 30K work alone is around $1000. Its very nice car to drive and your vanity will be very comfortable. Enjoy Europe!

Driving on the sand-
    1st - If the depth of the sand is greater than your ground clearence don't slow down. You will be "plowing" sand like a boat does water. Loose enough speed and you can high center.
    2nd - Lower the pressure on your tires. 10-15 PSI Is good (just bring an air pump to get them back up to road ratings). This puts more of the tire in contact with the surface and thus better traction. Handling suffers but its going to suck anyway.
    3rd - Bring a bucket and a plastic shovel to dig yourself out with.
    4th - Don't be afraid to get wet. The wet smoth area often has better traction than the loose sand.
    5th - Do not put your thumbs inside the steering wheel. This is general offroad advice.
    6th - If you have window tint don't roll your window down after you get sand in your car until you have had a chance to vaccum it out of your door and weather seals.
    7th - Accept the fact that the car will always have some of that beach in it for the rest of its life.
    8th - Think about extra gas, your milage will be 1/2 to 1/4 of what it was on the road.
  • Options
    torntorn Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Nissan Xterra and, although it has been a great vehicle (just as the '89 Pathfinder I had before it), I have decided to trade it in and get out of the SUV-truck and into a luxury wagon with AWD. I have narrowed my search to the Volvo XC and the Audi allroad. Does anyone have any insight on comparisons, beyond the stats that I can get off of Edmunds? I like the Volvo name, image, body style and safety reputation, and it is cheaper. I like that the Audi has a manual (6 speed) transmission, and that its interior appears much more luxurious. Can anyone offer more? Thanks.
  • Options
    glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    torn,

Here's a comparo through Audiworld...

http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/allroad_xc/content.shtml

But I think you summed up the major points between the two.

George

This discussion has been closed.