Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    johnnystarxjohnnystarx Member Posts: 3
    I have teenagers and so far have had no complaints about riding in the back seat. It's got more room than the outback I almost bought! Take note, however, that when my kids were young (4 of them under age 5!), we bought a minivan and it has served us well through the years. The kids are driving now, and since we rarely go anywhere all together anymore, THEY get the boring minivan, and MOM gets the Passat. I bought a GLS Wagon 1.8T with Auto-transmission & dealer-installed 6 CD changer for 22,850 + 5%tax + doc fee = 24,150 total.

By the way, anybody notice how ridiculously high some dealers' document fees are? I paid 129. and I wasn't happy about it. Other dealers ask 154 or higher.
  • Options
    mk26mk26mk26mk26 Member Posts: 8
    Can someone tell me whether the headrests for the back seats are removable? I found that my rear view was obstructed even when the head rests were pushce down as far as they could go.

If the headrests are removable, how do you remove them?

Thanks.
  • Options
    fobarefobare Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses. I've tried making adjustments and the backache is higher around my shoulderblades. I've never had any back trouble in the past. In researching and looking at message boards, I seem to be the only person with this type of problem. I'll keep trying!
  • Options
    jonrickjonrick Member Posts: 8
    MK26MK26,

I think the head rests have to come out in order for the back seats to fold down.

To respond to the person who compared the VW and a Buick...As someone who has onewd both foreign and domestic and who rents may cars (business trips), I would find it very hard to put a sporty-handling german car in the same class as a sofa on wheels (with poor build quality)?
  • Options
    goldnbrgoldnbr Member Posts: 8
    I read elsewhere on the web today that the facelifted Passat wagon won't go into production until January for the US market and won't be available until April or May. Apparently sedans are already beginning to arrive here and I saw a post from vwguild that a boat load of Passats was arriving in San Diego on the 28th. Can any of the dealers on this site verify that information? We're interested in getting a Passat GLX, but not sure of whether to get the sedan or wagon. I may be too impatient to wait until May so that might affect our decision.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Will post here any inf. on the above as soon as I get pricing
    information...
  • Options
    1115 units arrived Port Of San Diego today on board the
    Sapphire Ace...More later
  • Options
    davey001davey001 Member Posts: 1
    I had a recurring problem with my 99 Passat wagon fuel gauge. Basically it was telling me I had less fuel than I actually did (I guess hats the more preferable type of misreading to have given a choice!) I took the car back to my originating dealer twice. The first time they said they corrected it but kept the car for 2 days. The problem recurred after a couple of months. When it
    recurred after that - of course they did appear to fix it on the re-visit - I just watched the mileage between fill-ups and did not rely on the fuel gauge. Then I realized that after paying nearly 25k for a new car this was ridiculous. I took the car to a different WV dealership. Still under warranty. They made a repair during a 2 scheduled hour service. Its now been six months and no recurrence. Largest time gap now so I think its fixed. Moral of the story - gotta change dealerships for repair. I will never go back to the original dealership now. I feel like I am now able to really enjoy this car - and its great.
  • Options
    hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    After seeing the interior/exterior shots of the new wagon on the vwvortex web site I've decided it's worth waiting a few months. Does anyone know if the drive train remains the same for 2001.5? I'm planning on getting the 4motion anyone with driving experience in this model??
  • Options
    Drivetrain changes X 2...1.8T goes from 150hp-170hp...The Passat Plus will be a W8 280hp, 2.8L
    V6 remains the same...
  • Options
    jurgen2jurgen2 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to buy a GLS V6 in the next month or two;
    are there any significant changes for the 2001.5 (other than cosmetic) worth waiting for?
  • Options
    dim1dim1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi buddies,
    With this snowstorm in NE ( I live in New Jersey),
    I got an interesting question:
    From which store/web site/dealer(?) you can buy wheel chains for winter, for Passat?
    Any price?
    I got 2500 mile on my wagon: no problemo till now.
    The gears and Traction Control work great in snow.

Passat Wagon 2001 GLS 1.8T, Tiptronic
  • Options
    The 2001.5 is supposed to have beefed up side impact protection and it has cup holders! Sorry but my wife drew the line at upholders... for 28k
    she wanted a place to set her H2O bottle. Does anyone know if both the V6 and 1.8T require premium??
  • Options
    2001.5 Changes...hundreds...go to VWVORTEX.COM

Tirerack.com

1.8T requires 92 Octane gas...
  • Options
    2001.5 Changes...hundreds...go to VWVORTEX.COM

Tirerack.com

1.8T requires 92 Octane gas...
  • Options
    For the 3rd consecutive year AUTOMOBILE magazine
    has given the VW Passat the fore mentioned *All Star* award. February 2001, page 85.
  • Options
    noahsmomnoahsmom Member Posts: 5
    MK, the headrests are easily removable. My husband did it so I don't know the exact mechanics of it but took only a second. Your owner's manual has the info. He removed the center one in the back seat.

Hutch7, we got the 4Motion on our 2000 and we love it. It was well worth the extra money. Central MD isn't exactly snow country, so when it does snow everyone freaks out. I took my wagon to the store in the midst of our last little storm (2") and had a blast. Not to mention getting a jump on scooping up all the milk, bread and toilet paper :). Around here, the 4Mo really pays off in our heavy rainstorms. We have so much traffic now, the roads get slick when it rains from all the oil residue and stuff. You can feel the car sticking to the road.
  • Options
    kurtdmeyerkurtdmeyer Member Posts: 1
    Dim1, have you ever used chains? I have, they are not worth the trouble. My experience was years ago with a different car, it's a comedy in itself, basically after about a half hour of swearing and rolling in slushy garbage, I got back in the car, gunned the engine and the chains shot 50 feet into a snowbank, where I left them... A front-drive Passat with four good REAL snow tires (I use Michelin Arctic Alpin on my Fox, drive logging roads in Northern Wis, the Passat does not have enough ground clearance so I don't even try, the all-seasons on the Passat so far have handled our winters but when they wear out I'll get real snows) will go through anything, and what it doesn't go through, you shouldn't try. IMHO. Good luck.
  • Options
    taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • Options
    lisa420lisa420 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 90 Passat Wagon. I love my car. Last year I had the transmission rebuilt by one of my dad's auto students. Now my car isn't shifting properly. I understand that it is due to the transmission valves or solenoids. Are VW dealerships the only locations that have the proper diagnostic testing equipment to check my transmission? I always hear complaints from VW owners about the cost of bringing their cars into the dealership for servicing, and I have no idea how much this is going to cost or how long the work will take.
  • Options
    spainspain Member Posts: 14
    I need to know when we can expect to see some Passat wagons in the dealerships. I was all set to buy a Toyota Highlander but then saw someone driving A vw wagon. When I went into the dealership, the sales person couldnt tell me when they would have any wagons. Would it be worth the wait or should I go ahead and get the Highlander?
  • Options
    k6ncxk6ncx Member Posts: 10
    ...but only just barely. Yes, as someone said it has more room in the rear seat than an Outback, but so does the average phone booth! It seems awfully expensive to me compared to the other things we're looking at, gets the worst gas mileage of anything we're looking at, has the largest turning radius, and seats as few or fewer.

So, tel;l me what makes you enthusiastic about it, those of you who are.

Does it really have no cup holder? I didn't notice that!

Any experience with 4Motion? Is it worth getting? (I'm reluctant to get anything without 4 wheel drive.)
  • Options
    spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Spain: I'm also in the market for a new Passat wagon. Dealerships around here (sfo bay area) just got a few of the 1.5 sedans in but the wagons probably won't be in for another month or two. For me I think it will be worth the wait but only you can answer that for yourself. You should be able to drive a regular 2001 Passat right now. If you dont like it you probably won't like the new facelifted one. A Toyota Highlander and a Passat wagon are quite different kind of vehicles.

k6ncx: Everyone has different wants, needs and requirements for their vehicle. I'm a quite large person so that eliminates some vehicles from my consideration. I'm single, don't have kids but have a large dog and need the ability to carry stuff when I need to. I've been driving a p/u truck for the last 12 years but I'm a former sports car/hot rod car guy and miss having something that is fun to drive but I also need an auto this time around.

I've been going out test driving and so far have driven 3 Passat wagons, 2 4 cylinder 1.8T's and a GLX V6 Wagon with 4 motion. It is my opinion that the Passat is a supurb drivers car, perhaps not a BMW or hot Audi but the next best thing at 10k less. I've always admired german cars and have driven a few but never owned one. The passat's road feel, steering and suspension felt sporty and fun to drive The 4cyl engine provided surprisingly strong power for a 1.8L 4 but was a bit less responsive (slight turbo lag) than the V6 which was torquy and smooth. However I could probably be quite happy with either engine (still trying to decide) and the 1.8T's hp has been upped to 170 for the 1.5's. Fit & finish one the Passat's I have looked at has been great and equal or superior to other vehicles I've looked at. To my tastes the styling is very attractive and the interior has a decent amount of space.

Some other feelings that are influencing my decision are...

Generally american cars still aren't up to par in build quality, fit, finish and reliability. They usually turn into rattle and squeek boxes after a year or two on the road.

Japansese vehicles (esp Honda & Toyota) have a well deserved reputation for reliability but I find I have a hard time fitting comfortably in them and I find their styling and offerings bland. Good reliable bland boxes.

With VW I don't know, for me it's an unknown. The Passat's are built in Germany and look well built but VW also seems to have a somewhat spotty reputation in the past and their dealer network isn't the best. Also the Passat IS expensive.

When it comes down to it I guess I am frustrated by american car manufacturers and after years of ownership am ready to spend my money elsewhere. In addition I am willing to spend a little more money and take a risk for reliability in order to have a car that's a little more distictive and fun to drive. Everytime I test drive a few other cars and then return and drive a Passat I'm thinking to myself "this is the car I want".

When I drove the 4 motion it was transparent to me. I really have no need for 4wd and couldn't afford it anyway. So for me I just look at it as added complexity and more stuff to maintain along with the increase weight. On the other hand I understand the system has been around a while, is used on Audi's and therfor should be reliable. If I lived in an area where I need 4wd I'd consider it. Even then the Passat is FWD with the engine & transaxle over the driving wheels so it should be good in most low traction situations.

Anyway I'm sure you have different wants and needs and perhaps the Passat is not for you.
  • Options
    glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    "It seems awfully expensive to me compared to the other things we're looking at, gets the worst gas mileage of anything we're looking at, has the largest turning radius, and seats as few or fewer."

Neil,

Just curious, what are you looking at that does NOT meet any of those criteria you mentioned.

For us, the decision came down to the fact that my wife and I did not care for the Subaru Outback 4 cyl (the H-6 was half a year away from being released), and the Passat was a "relative bargain" compared to other similarly equiped Euro wagon. We were also considering the Saab V-6 and the V70, but though the base prices were a couple grand more, once you started adding things on that were already std on the Passat GLX, the difference was more significant. Yeah, I know, it isn't a luxury brand (but we could care less about that).

Positives:
    - seats 4 average sized adults and our daughter in her booster seat comfortably.
    - excellent handling and ride for a vehicle this size.
    - cargo room (the usable space exceeded our former Jeep GC)
    - bad gas milage for a car, but great MPG compared to most mid-sized SUV's
    - crash test record
    - unique vehicle

Downside-
    - MPG, averaging 18 MPG in city driving (not unexpected since the car is rated at 17 MPG in the city)
    - has only a 16 gal tank
    - VW's history of mediocre service and ? reliability -- our experience has been positive though (one routine, and one unscheduled minor adjsutment)
    - others complaining of the lack of cupholders ;)

George
  • Options
    k6ncxk6ncx Member Posts: 10
    I was deliberately vague, wanting to hear people's enthusiasms for the Passat rather than comments on the other vehicles. And the list is an odd one: we're still arguing over some of the criteria and our demands are admittedly contradictory. Anyway, the others surviving in consideration at the moment (with still some possibility of others coming onto the table) are both Hondas: CRV (seats 4.5 or better, gets better gas mileage, and turns in several feet less) and Odyssey (seats 7, or let's say 6.5, gets better gas mileage, and turns in a foot less.)

We didn't care for the Outback, either. (Zero back seat legroom.)

If I'm remembering right, the Passat doesn't have car seat anchors (I'm talking about the new lower anchors, not the top tether that came along a year or two ago), and that's both puzzling and disappointing. (None in the CRV, either. Two in the Odyssey - wish there were more, not because I want to put more than two carseats in, but to give me some choices of where.)

By the way, do you have any idea why the Passat's city/highway MPG spread is so large?

And what's the deal here on cupholders? I forgot to take note of whether they were there or not (having read comments here there being none) but Edmunds info sheet on the Passat shows cupholder as standard equipment...
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    They're there, but they're not very well designed; almost useless, in fact.
  • Options
    glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Neil,

I don't recall the exact turning circle radius of the Passat (I believe it is 37.5 feet). IMHO though, a couple of feet is hardly perceptible to most people. Now once you hit 40 feet, that's a big deal---very noticable when we drove my sister's RX300.

Now, as for some other choices, we had also looked at the CRV very early on, but the 4 cylinder just didn't cut it for us when it came to highway driving. Minivans were off our list since we frankly don't need to haul that many people at a given time (except maybe once every three years). Thus, our considerations were the sport wagons with decent cargo space or some of the midsize sportutes ala RX300 or ML320.

As for the 4Motion performance, it has been a big plus (at the expense of the MPG). We got it because we were planning on heading back to the snowbelt, or somewhere near the mountains. I know the debate about its utility in day to day driving is as heated as the Flordia voting process this past fall ; ) Suffice it to say, when we recently got hit with a snow and ice storm in Birmingham, our Passat got us up and down a 10% grade 1/2 mile long hill without any perceptible loss in traction. In fact others who tried in cars and SUVs were stuck half way up or ended up on the sidewalk !!

OK, I'll talk about cupholders ; ) --- This is sort of a moot point with the 01.5 models starting to show up. The redesigned holders now fit in the console next to the parking brake (They apparently will handle a Big-Gulp sized cup). In the earlier models they are located just below the climate controls and pop out of the dash -- while a cool design, only a 12oz can or our Starbucks travel mug would fit snug in them. Anything else couldn't fit or would fall out during aggressive driving. The rear ones sit too low to the ground to hold anything. Enough said...

George
  • Options
    Alright I'm convinced that the Passat is a great wagon. I'm leaning towards a 4motion wagon (although I might wait for 2002 so VW can get some practice bolting the new parts on). My '97
    OB has been a great car, but not a very comfortable one. But I have to know why in the world does a 30K wagon only have a 24 MONTH warranty??? What is VW afraid of???
  • Options
    VW also provides a totally comprhensive 10 year/
    100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty that covers any
    lubricated part that moves the car...to include
    the oil pump, water pump, spur belt, fly wheel,
    transmission, differential or 4Motion whichever
    applies, as well as the Turbo, also where applicable...cv joints and all attendant seals &
    gaskets. The cars also come with 24 month/unlimited miles 24/7/365 Roadside Assistance to the nearest VW Dealer, and 24/24000
    Trip Interruption Protection. If you are over 100
    miles from home; if the car requires a repair, if
    the nearest VW Dealer cannot get you back up on the road the same day...common sense here, you will be reimbursed up to $100 a day for meals, up
    to $100 a day for alternative transportation, plus up to $100 for lodging...to a total of $500
    per incident. There is also a 12year/Unlimited
    outer body rust/corrosion warranty included.

I hope this is informative...
  • Options
    I agree the 10yr/100000k par train warranty is nice and eases my concerns about getting the AWD system, but my Subaru came with a 36mo/36K bumper to bumper. When my factory radio\CD took a dirt nap at 30K and 29mos I would have been out of luck with a VW to the tune of $300.00. Granted not a huge deal but when I write a check for 30 large I expect 36mos of warm fuzzy feelings not
    24mos.
  • Options
    Compare the price of the Passat to a similarly
    equipped Audi...You can add, for about $1200
    a B to B for 6/72 and you will still be $4000
    ahead, or think about a new tranny at 61K out
    with the Subaru, and rethink the warm & fuzzy
    feelings then....PS
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What is wrong with the 4 cyl. front wheel drive Passat? Have you driven the 2001.5 with the 20 extra hp (170)? This would be much more responsive than the CRV or the Odyssey or for that matter the AWD V6, and deliver much better gas mileage 23 -32. My retired father (who does some goofy things) drove his 4 cyl. (150 hp) at an indicated 135 to see how fast it would go and he says it was still gaining speed. How fast do you need to go?

You can't be concerned about having a 4 cyl since the CRV is a 4, and you can't be worried about no AWD because the Odyssey does not have AWD. The 4 cyl passat comes standard with traction control, side airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, ABS and much more. Do the hondas have these things? (I am not putting down Honda as I actually own 2 of them) Put 4 snow tires on it in the winter (total cost 5-600 dollars for tires and rims - much cheaper than AWD) and you will out drive any AWD that does not have snow tires ( they may accelerate slightly better, but you will turn just as well and your braking will be much better - to me the most important aspectof winter driving is being able to stop!)

Remember spending more money and loading up a car does not always make it better. Why pay 30k when you can get one for 23k that gets better gas mileage and has better performance. I will conced it may not be as eerily silent as the V6, but much quieter than the outback or either of the Hondas you are looking at. With the $7,000 you save you could buy a big old truck with 4wd that will get you through deep snow that would bog down a car with less ground clearance (like the AWD passat).

I am probably in the minority, but I feel that if a car meets my needs 99.9% of the time that is good enough. If I need to buy a sheet of plywood once a year, do I need to be able to fit in the car I drive everyday? I don't think so especially since the lumber yards around me all deliver for free! Some people buy Suburbans for that one time (if ever) they need to carry 9 people through a blizzard, and suffer with a guzzling behemoth that can't be parked the rest of the time.

I'll get off of my soap box now - but I do think you should at least try the front wheel drive 4 cyl. prefferably with the stick shift, but if you need auto it is still a nice vehicle.

If you want more info on Passats you might want to look at www.vwvortex.com and go to the forums.
  • Options
    I'll admit I haven't driven the 4motion only the '01 1.8T. I need to drive the '01.5, but I do drive quite a bit in North Georgia (yes we get snow and ice) on gravel roads and I like my Suby's AWD, especially after a rain/snow storm when things are muddy. So the 4motion makes sense for me.
  • Options
    riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I'm thinking the same thing. Why is the VW Warranty only 2 years and 24k. The powertrain warranty is great marketing. However, how many modern engines fail before 10 years or 100k? Not many, unless you were an unfortunate sole who purchased a 3.8 liter Ford!

Now compare that to the additional security of one year or 12,000 miles to get you to 36,000. There getting away with it because there selling all they can get.
  • Options
    campkuzcampkuz Member Posts: 1
    Though the Passat GLS 4motion was the most expensive of the AWD wagons we were considering (outback, A-4), so far we're quite pleased with it's performance both on the open road and in the snow. Size, awd and driveability were top considerations.
    Being a long time Toyota and Acura owner, I was somewhat concerned w/ the VW reliability and am now considering an extended warranty. So far we're very satisfied. It looks good, drives great.
  • Options
    If you are shopping for a Ford; what are you doing
    here?

The 10/100K VW Powertrain Warranty covers ANY
    Lubricated part that moves the car, and not just
    the engine...

Would you prefer to have your Transmision, water
    pump, oil pump, seals & gaskets, Turbo covered for 10/100 or, well, you can figure it out...
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I was under the impressionn that the turbo was specifically excluded from the 10 year warrenty! Is this correct?
  • Options
    The turbo in the 1.8T IS included in the 10/100...
    although not specifically mentioned in the *owners
    manuals* it is in Warranty Policies Book in the
    Service Dept. *Any lubricated part that moves the
    car*...
  • Options
    Don't know who you are VWGUILD, but I was answering another person's concern on the length of the warranty. From your previous postings it appears you either work for or have very strong biases for VWs. There are literally hundreds of parts that would not be covered by the 10/100,000.That maybe important to other folks.

For the record I owned a 88 Jetta for 10 years. So how do you know if I'm not shopping for a VW?
  • Options
    If you click on *vwguild* you will find out who I
    am...just as I can click on *riswami* and read that you said that you are looking to buy a Ford...
  • Options
    Figured out what you did by reading other VW post. Obviously you are very knowledgeable with regards to VW products. You seem to have helped some folks.That's good.

However, you sell them, so your opinions are biased.
  • Options
    Thanks...Of course I am biased...but, I think I
    have been more than candid regarding Service problems and other issues that require objectivity
  • Options
    After reading the SUV page on the new Toyota Highlander I'm rethinking my 4motion inclination.
    Maybe I'll wait and drive the Toy... and the 3/36000 warranty gives me warm fuzzies, not to mention a V6 that drinks the cheap stuff...
  • Options
    You know, of course, that if you want an SUV we
    will be launching the Porsche built *Colorado*
    at the Frankfurt show in October...You may have to
    wait a little longer, but it might be worth it.
    And it is my gut feeling that with the launch of
    the Passat Plus...on the ground in the US around
    Thanksgiving...that these more upscale products
    will also probably be carrying a 4/48 like Audi.

Just a thought...
  • Options
    Just had my '97 OB out in the N. GA mud today and it did fine, I really enjoy visiting new home sites in the mountains after a rainy nite. I'm sure the 4motion would give me a superior driving experience... I'm just concerned about the "ownership experience".
  • Options
    Automobile Magazine, for the 3rd straight year
    has put the Passat on it's All Star List as the
    Best Mid-Size Family Sedan/Wagon...
  • Options
    A good friend of mine has a 2000 Passat 1.8, and he say's his only regret is not getting the 6. I suppose a FWD car with traction control would get me through most anything the North Georgia mountains can dish up. Anyone know the MPG difference on the 2001.5 1.8 and the 2.8?
  • Options
    1.8T=20/29
    V6=18/26
  • Options
    ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    I have never heard of the Passat Plus. I have been looking for about a year so far and still have not found what I am looking for. We like to go camping and have to deal with a significant amount of adverse weather in Oklahoma (and the road department is not prepared to deal with it like in the northern sections of the US). I would like something with 4WD or AWD that is some fun to drive and won't make me go bankrupt. Thought I wanted an MDX but I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. I loved the way the A6 Avant drove, but my wife was not as impressed. I also thought the Passat GLX wagon was great but must agree with my wife in that it looks a little flat and spartan (I know there are tons of features in it, it just dosen't look that way). Liked the XC but didn't love it and have seen too many adverse comments (also $178 for a 7500 mile check seems extreme to me). I think I would really like to go the european route but the wagons are not quite right, and can't afford an allroad. Now to the point of all of this, I would like to know more about the Passat plus and the Colorado since I can wait a while before buying.
  • Options
    spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    I believe the Passat Plus is going to be an upscale Passat powered by a 250hp or so W8 8 cylinder engine and equipped with VW's 4-Motion system. I understand it will be out later this year or ealy next year as a 2002 model. I'd expect a price in the 35k area. I have no idea if there will be a wagon version.