Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Subaru Outback supply

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Well, I can see the point in areas like yours. When it comes to "safety" features such as that, like VDC, etc., I am not against them unless there is no option to disable. Our 1998 vans had the option of disabling, which I did on mine. Oddly, though, it was still active when I purchased it... and it had 170,000 miles on the ticker! It took about three trips after I bought it before I was searching online for the process to disable it.

Also, if the doors were to unlock automatically when the car was put in "park," it likely would be a non-issue, aside from extra wear and tear on the motors. Then again, I do not prefer automatics..... :D
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm only OK with that if it unlocks when you put it back in Park.

My van does that.

Otherwise you reach for the door handle...and it won't open. :mad:
  • rkratrkrat Posts: 25
    My van did not automatically unlock when in Park but all I had to do was open the door handle (not the door lock) and the door would open. The Outback does not so I now have to remember to engage the door lock before or during driving and unlock it to get out. :(
    As an "old-schooler" who is used to locking and unlocking doors with keys, the key fob messes with me. I tend to remember to lock the car using the remote when I walk away from the car, but I put the key in the door when I come back. As soon as I open the door (not using the remote), the alarm sounds and about makes me wet my pants. :blush:

Darn technology, anyway.

I am not expecting an answer here, but what is the deal with Subaru offering Outback keys with integrated remotes, but still using separate keys and remotes for the Forester & Impreza lines? That is just silly.
  • I prefer the Outback key with integrated remote (to the separate key and fob), but I'm still getting used to finding the right button in the dark. The unlock button is indented, and so feels different than the other two.

My favorite key design is the "switchblade" style used by Audi and VW. It just looks like a fob, and then you press a little metal button and the key blade flips out. I suppose this is still not as cool as the keyless or smart-key types, but it's nice to have the key blade folded away when it is in your pocket.
    I completely agree with you on that! I have seen those VW keys and they are really a nice design.

Of course, I sure appreciated my '08 Outback keys with the integrated fob; I was surprised when my two-years-newer Forester came with separate units! :(
    My Miata's key is a switch blade. It's much smaller on your key ring.

Though the Forester's laser cut keys would be MUCH harder to duplicate (for thieves).
  • We ordered our 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with selected options on OCT 16, 2009. Our dealer called on Nov 12 and said the allotment was released and our car was not on the list. In fact we may not get it until JAN. Our hopes of getting it before DEC 31 to take advantage of the GOV deduction of the sales tax may lead us to say forget it, give us our down payment back. I feel that they have so many stick shifts on the dealers lots, that they are hoping we will back off and take what's available. Subaru increased 2009 production by 45K vehicles earlier this month. They should be able to built us our chosen vehicle. What do you think?
    That's about 10 weeks, they should be able to do it.

We were lucky - our special-order Forester arrived in 5 weeks.
  • Agreed...I am in the same boat. Ordered my 3.6R with NAV on 9/23 and no word whether it will come in the December allotment or not. I have heard that there is a shortage of navigation units and that is creating a backlog.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    I have heard that there is a shortage of navigation units and that is creating a backlog.

I wonder if the shortage is because they are trying to get the supplier to fix the poor outgoing bluetooth sound that has been reported?
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    UPDATE: I am the one that reported the Bluetooth sound quality problem and have found a workaround, and I'm planning on doing some more tests with other phones to see if it is a compatibility issue with Windows Mobile 6 smartphones (both my wife and I have Motorola Q9's but on different carriers) or still something with the nav.

After I initiate or receive a call, if I press the "speaker" button to send the audio back to the handset, and then press it again to return audio back through the nav speakers, callers on the other end report a major improvement in quality! Something with tearing down and reinitializing the bluetooth stream fixes the problem -- until the next call.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 186
    As someone above posted the "shortage" doesn't seem to be as much in Outbacks as in the Navi unit. That's not something that can be added at the distribution center or the dealer, unlike other items. I just looked at the 5 dealers closest to me, Colorado front range, not the Denver metro area, and there were about 420 Subies in dealer inventory, about 44% of them were Outbacks. Only ONE had Navigation on it!

Heck there were even about 8-10 with the 3.6 engine.

One other thing, from an above post; "I'm not sure if they would sell me the package at the dealer invoice price. Plus, I'm not sure what the quality of dealer-installed options as opposed to factory-installed options would be."

There is a "Subie" website that has the parts at prices lower than the list, not as low as "invoice" though. I'm pretty sure that some high % of "accessories" are added at the dealer/distribution center with no drop off in quality. One thing that P's me off is that if you want the "homelink" and it gets installed there is no "delete option" credit given for the removed mirror. I guess at some point the dealers are sending those back to Lafayette for credit!

easypar
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Subie inventory is low all over, and not just Outbacks. I heard that from a friend at SOA couple of days ago. Normally they try to keep a 30-day supply at dealers, and now they're having a hard time just meeting a 15-day supply. The factories are working overtime to meet the demand, but they just can't keep up. It's great news for Subaru, less so for customers.

Bob
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 186
    Well the Legacy is the number one selling car in our state, Outback about #3 selling truck/SUV (not sure why they're broken out that way!) and I didn't have any trouble getting a bit more than 10% off MSRP on a Legacy, a couple of dealers 30-40 minutes away show discounts of 7-9% (depending on how loaded) on all of their models on their website.

The dealer had no problem getting the combo I wanted right from the distribution center and then adding the "accessories" I wanted.

easypar
  • I never had considered the outback until now. I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited. Finding out it is in short supply. Like I said, since I have never stepped foot into a Subaru dealer unitl now, just wondering if this is an anomaly or is it something that Subaru does ie: withhold production to create demand. If so, I think I will pass.
    No, this new model is simply uber-hot. Especially the Navi versions. They only have a 15 day supply and cannot keep up, so they are ramping up production.

Problem is the Navi supplier cannot keep pace with demand.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited.

I am surprised you are not considering the Forester XT instead. The XT's turbo would probably give you much better high altitude performance and the passenger space is almost the same as the Outback. The XT is slightly less expensive also.
    Actually the Forester is a tad bigger - 107.6cf of passenger space.

Outback has 105.4cf.

Both without the moonroof. I think if you add that to both, the Outback would end up just a tad roomier.
  • OK, I'll bite. Looked at the specs on the Forester XT. Noticed it has a 2.5 CVT turbo. Does that give as much power as a 3.6?
This discussion has been closed.