Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Subaru Outback supply

2»

Comments

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    I have heard that there is a shortage of navigation units and that is creating a backlog.

I wonder if the shortage is because they are trying to get the supplier to fix the poor outgoing bluetooth sound that has been reported?
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    UPDATE: I am the one that reported the Bluetooth sound quality problem and have found a workaround, and I'm planning on doing some more tests with other phones to see if it is a compatibility issue with Windows Mobile 6 smartphones (both my wife and I have Motorola Q9's but on different carriers) or still something with the nav.

After I initiate or receive a call, if I press the "speaker" button to send the audio back to the handset, and then press it again to return audio back through the nav speakers, callers on the other end report a major improvement in quality! Something with tearing down and reinitializing the bluetooth stream fixes the problem -- until the next call.
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 187
    As someone above posted the "shortage" doesn't seem to be as much in Outbacks as in the Navi unit. That's not something that can be added at the distribution center or the dealer, unlike other items. I just looked at the 5 dealers closest to me, Colorado front range, not the Denver metro area, and there were about 420 Subies in dealer inventory, about 44% of them were Outbacks. Only ONE had Navigation on it!

Heck there were even about 8-10 with the 3.6 engine.

One other thing, from an above post; "I'm not sure if they would sell me the package at the dealer invoice price. Plus, I'm not sure what the quality of dealer-installed options as opposed to factory-installed options would be."

There is a "Subie" website that has the parts at prices lower than the list, not as low as "invoice" though. I'm pretty sure that some high % of "accessories" are added at the dealer/distribution center with no drop off in quality. One thing that P's me off is that if you want the "homelink" and it gets installed there is no "delete option" credit given for the removed mirror. I guess at some point the dealers are sending those back to Lafayette for credit!

easypar
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    Subie inventory is low all over, and not just Outbacks. I heard that from a friend at SOA couple of days ago. Normally they try to keep a 30-day supply at dealers, and now they're having a hard time just meeting a 15-day supply. The factories are working overtime to meet the demand, but they just can't keep up. It's great news for Subaru, less so for customers.

Bob
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 187
    Well the Legacy is the number one selling car in our state, Outback about #3 selling truck/SUV (not sure why they're broken out that way!) and I didn't have any trouble getting a bit more than 10% off MSRP on a Legacy, a couple of dealers 30-40 minutes away show discounts of 7-9% (depending on how loaded) on all of their models on their website.

The dealer had no problem getting the combo I wanted right from the distribution center and then adding the "accessories" I wanted.

easypar
  • I never had considered the outback until now. I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited. Finding out it is in short supply. Like I said, since I have never stepped foot into a Subaru dealer unitl now, just wondering if this is an anomaly or is it something that Subaru does ie: withhold production to create demand. If so, I think I will pass.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No, this new model is simply uber-hot. Especially the Navi versions. They only have a 15 day supply and cannot keep up, so they are ramping up production.

Problem is the Navi supplier cannot keep pace with demand.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited.

I am surprised you are not considering the Forester XT instead. The XT's turbo would probably give you much better high altitude performance and the passenger space is almost the same as the Outback. The XT is slightly less expensive also.
    Actually the Forester is a tad bigger - 107.6cf of passenger space.

Outback has 105.4cf.

Both without the moonroof. I think if you add that to both, the Outback would end up just a tad roomier.
  • OK, I'll bite. Looked at the specs on the Forester XT. Noticed it has a 2.5 CVT turbo. Does that give as much power as a 3.6?
    Power is 224hp @ 5200 rpm, torque is 226 lb-ft @ 2800rpm.

Outback gets 256hp @ 6000 rpm, 247lb-ft torque@ 4400 rpm.

So the H6 makes more power, but a bit higher in the rev range. The turbo makes lots of low end torque, while the H6 likes to rev.

Drive 'em both, you'll probably have a clear preference.
  • Back to subject.

Placed an order for Outback 3.6R Limited via SNE, November 19, haven't even got a confirmed build date yet - let alone a delivery date.

Dealer says he hopes it will be in his January allotment >> end of Jan/early Feb for me :cry:
  • msj09msj09 Posts: 31
    Anyone heard anything about when inventory levels of Outback limiteds will increase? Especially with NAV? Subaru may miss out on a sale...........
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    3.6 engine is assembled in Japan then ship over to OH, that is different with the 2.5 engine was assembled in OH, probably takes 2 months to adjust increase of production. Plus the questionable supply of the Nav supplier, orders on 3.6 + Nav is the slowest to be manufacturered in OH plant.

It was reported the delivery takes 5 months from date of ordering.
    Yikes, hopefully it won't take that long for people ordering. I got a Forester I special ordered in just 5 weeks and the whole thing came from Japan!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,040
    I got a Forester I special ordered in just 5 weeks and the whole thing came from Japan!

Hey juice - I doubt the Forester was special ordered. It was most likely in the pipeline already. It takes 5 weeks just to transport a car from Japan.

As for suply - yeah it takes a while to adjust production. Ford is getting grief for making too many Taurus SE's. Looks like demand is for the SEL and SHO and they can't adjust fast enough.
    I think they found an identical car en route and intercepted it for us.

It came EXACTLY as we ordered, though, even down to the accessories.

What lets Subaru be nimble is that the accessories are port installed, so that only has to be decided much closer to the arrival date of the car.

We wanted a PZEV in a specific interior and exterior color, plus we were very specific about which accessories would be on it. Subaru nailed it.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    It makes very good sense to speed up the order by keeping accessories installation team in port(s), so they imported from Japan cars in different colors and trims then installing whatever accessories were in orders.

Plus they can always do last minute adjustment for what're popular options and accessories to be installed before shipping to distributors / dealers
    It came EXACTLY as we ordered, though, even down to the accessories.

Correct but it's not like they called the plant in Japan and ordered the car and you had it in 5 weeks. They found one for you. If they had to order it, it probably would've been more like 16-20 weeks.

As for the accessories, it's much like what Honda does - 3 to 5 trim levels and all accessories are dealer installed.
    You really think it would take that long?
    You really think it would take that long?

Maybe 12-16. It takes 4-6 weeks for a Volvo to make it from Sweden to an east coast dealer. Figure same for Japan to west coast. Add 4-6 weeks for manufacturing time. Add a couple of extra weeks for west coast to east coast transport.

Even with the advent of MRP, kanban, SMED - it still takes too long IMHO to build a car.
  • Umm, isn't Outback assembled in Indiana?
    Umm, isn't Outback assembled in Indiana?

Umm - we're talking about juice's Forester. Get with the program!! :D
2»
This discussion has been closed.