Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    lngo4: You are wasting your money if you are using gas that has a higher octane rating then is recommended for your car. Higher octane fuel is actually less volitile then lower octane fuel and will not provide as much energy. You may actually get slightly lower performance and gas milage using higher octane fuel then with lower octane fuel (although the difference is probably so small that you wouldn't even notice.)

Some higher compression engines require higher octane fuel to prevent engine "pinging". This occurs when the fuel burns prematurely. Using a higher octane (less volatile) fuel is usually recommended for these engines.
  • Options
    smokingbear1smokingbear1 Member Posts: 3
    you are 6'3. You do fit in a Maxima. The front seat interior space of Maxima is larger than either Accord or Camry.

Maxima does have ample power (222 horse power) The problem is the quality of the car is not on par with either Accord or Camry. I just had my Maxima for less than 2 months. The battery is already dead.

Accord's handling is far better than Camry, Passet's should be even better, though the quality of Passet is also questionable. Both Camry and Accord has more interior space than the Passet, though. So you might have to put that into consideration also.
  • Options
    speeedemonspeeedemon Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently driving a '98 Accord coupe (4 cyl) and I have a friend who drives a '99 4 cyl Camry LE. Let me just say that there's not a day that goes by that my friend tells me how much she regrets buying the Camry! We work at the same place and our route to work involves a lot of hills. She says that her Camry can barely get her over the hills so "slow" is not a strong enough word to describe the Camry. Although my Accord punches out only 150 HP, it sure beats the Camry with its 138 HP! And not only is the Accord stronger but it has a more sporty look too! The body of a Camry seems a bit "grandma-ish". Even compared to the Accord sedan, the Camry is still regarded as more "family-type". So for those of you looking for something with a bit of spunk and some extra horses, go for the Accord, especially the Accord coupe V6 (my only regret in getting my car is that it's a 4 cyl). Overall, I love my Accord!!! It never fails that I find guys staring/gawking when I'm on the road. It must be the car...
  • Options
    speederspeeder Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy either a 2000 Accord EX Sedan or 2000 Passat.

We have a 94 Accord EX Sedan, 4 cyl, with 85K miles and have never had a problem. Now that we have a little one and my husband is driving my car a little more I have noticed there is not enough room behind a driver who is 6 feet tall. I'm feeling a little cramped. Is the 2000 roomier?
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    The current generation Accord is much roomier than a 94 Accord. Good luck with your next car and watch out for the revenue collectors, you speeder.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Yes, there is a huge difference between a 94 Accord and a 2000. My neighbor has a 95 Accord and came over to see our 2000 Accord. The first comment out of both their mouths was how large the back seat area was. Although, a Passat will be about the same, the Accord may be a touch larger in some areas.. Good hunting..
  • Options
    cajunchickcajunchick Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing either a 2000 Honda Accord 2-door coupe or a 2000 Toyota Solara. I was wondering if anyone could give me the +/- of both of these, and what you guys are currently paying for them. I drove the 4-cyl in both. Currently I have a Chevy Malibu 6-cyl that Chevy is buying back because of troubles. I want another car, but a reliable and stylish one. I felt that the 4-cyl. in both was comparible to my 6-cyl. 170 hp Chevy. Please help!!! -in TN
  • Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    You may want to go over to the "Accord Coupe vs Solara" forum and ask there. The Accord Coupe rides quiet a bit firmer, handles better and has a little more power. But the Solara is smoother and quieter. The Accord should be cheaper. You need to take both on an extended test drive if possible, then you will see the difference.

Got my LX automatic Coupe back in February for just over $18k with 3.9% financing. I know they are going a little cheaper now. You may want to go to Carsdirect.com and check their pricing for comparison.

Good luck with your new car, whatever you get!!!
  • Options
    pattupattu Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy Honda accord Ex 4 cylinder.

According to edmunds the invoice price for that is

20,987(Inclusive Leather seat and Automatic
    transmission)
    - 750$(Dealer cash incentive)
    =======
    20,237(Which is invoice price)(TMV)

But Dealer is not giving me Incentive they are giving me at

21,100(Base price inclusive leather and Automatic
    transmission)
    + 499(Cassete player)which is not good rate
    + 299(holding charges)
    + tax
    + registration has to be done by me

Is this a good price. or not.
    How do I get incentive benefit from them. Is anybody guide me regarding this matter. what should I do.

thanks in advance
  • Options
    jyh168jyh168 Member Posts: 1
    First of all, do not purchase the cassette player from Honda. They are charging you a premium. For that price, you can get a gold-plated one elsewhere :) In actuality, no, but it will be pretty difficult to find a cassette player at 500 dollars nowadays (Nakamichi included). The Honda player's features are minimal, and sound quality is sub-par. Get an aftermarket one if you can, or just replace the entire deck with a CD/tape deck and it will still cost less than 500 dollars.

I'm also pretty suspicious about the holding charges. I haven't heard of such a thing for a while, and I cannot believe they are charging you for that. Otherwise, it is a fairly good deal.
  • Options
    timberguytimberguy Member Posts: 7
    I drive an '87 accord with 114K on it. My mechanic keeps it humming with occasional inexpensive fixes, like when the water pump gave out. (it gave me plenty of warning, rattling loudly under the hood)...
    Anyway, my mechanic is a real straight-shooter, who runs the shop with his grown son and is usually booked for weeks ahead. He told me recently that should i decide to get a new car, he heartily recommends the 4-cyl accord. It has sufficient pickup (especially for the flatlands of NJ) and rides great. I trust this guy's opinion. He kept my clunky '85 buick century going ultimately to 170K, way past its life expectancy.. even tho he suggested i get rid of it. (i gave it to my mother-in-law at 108K and she motored her labs around in it for another 5 years or so)..
  • Options
    own2000own2000 Member Posts: 3
    I bought an Accord 2000 this June. Recently I found some white strings are coming out from
    bottom of the both passenge doors. If you
    pull them, they will keep coming out. This made
    me very unconfortable. Anyone expereinced the
    same problem?
  • Options
    thicks23thicks23 Member Posts: 42
    Yes I am familiar with this problem. The '98 Accord EX V-6 that my mom had up until recently had the same strings coming from underneath the chrome window trim. It almost looked like fishing line and I have no idea why it was coming out. I just pulled the loose string off and it didn't hurt the car in anyway. I don't think it is anything very important. My guess is that it is glue but I am not sure. It seems to be too insignificant to protect anything so it won't hurt to just pull it off.
  • Options
    confusedinkyconfusedinky Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying a new car to replace my '93 Tercel. We've narrowed it down to the Accord Lx or Ex and the Camry Ce or Le. Now our confusion begins. Has anyone gotten a good deal on either car recently? We've had some good offers but haven't settled yet. If anybody can give me some specific pros and cons of each car it would be a great help.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I suspect you have probably opened the flood gates once again. I have been following these posts for about 1 year (since I purchased my 99 Accord LX VTEC 4cyl). Reliability of both vehicles is beyond reproach. It seems to boil down to Camry being more quiet, softer ride and handling, but less powerful and Accord being more sporty, more powerful and a little louder.
    On a personal note. I consider myself in the younger(hopefully) crowd (Early 30's). I love the Accord. Have had 1 year and almost 14k miles so far. It has been flawless. Not one rattle or defect! I Have the AT and the power of the 4cyl is awesome (for a 4cyl). The ride is acceptably quiet and on smooth surfaces I have to check the tachometer to make sure I'm not sitting still. The accord does transfer road noise from the tires especially on rough surfaces. When I have to floor the car, the engine noise is a little excessive. I think the mileage is better on the camry, but I wouldn't sacrifice it for the power I get with the Accord. Average Mpg for me is 27-28mpg.
    I believe Honda is going to address the "quietness" issue with the 01 model, making it an even easier choice. Go take SEVERAL test drives with the above mentioned differences in mind and good luck on your decision.
  • Options
    ennarennar Member Posts: 1
    I have a dealer offering me a Passat GLS (with
    luxury package, auto-trans, cold weather) for
    about $23,100. Is this a good price? Can I hope
    to get anything better? My other choice is
    a (ya you guessed right :-) Honda Accord ....

Thanks.
  • Options
    coale1coale1 Member Posts: 1
    If your quote is for a 2000, and includes destination, it is about $607 over invoice. I think that is reasonable, although you can probably do better if you want to work. If your quote is for a 2001, it is a great deal.

I just bought a 2000 GLX for $225 over invoice. Good deal, but 2001 vehicles are on lot.

Car choice is a matter of personal opinion. For what it's worth, I didn't feel the Accord was in the same league. Nor did my brother-in-law, who owns an Accord. However, I do think the Accord is a wonderful vehicle.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    chandrakchandrak Member Posts: 17
    I need to buy a car soon. I have test driven Camry
    LE/Accord SE/Accord EX V6. I am unable to decide whether I shd wait for the '01 models or buy the 00models. The prices(at carsdirect.com for the SE is $600 below the invoice!)are interesting for the 00models.

I understand that there wont be the SE for 01.
    Shd i wait and buy a 01 EX/camry or grab this. Any
    pointers appreciated,
    Thanks,
  • Options
    ileongileong Member Posts: 5
    On Friday evening 8/25 I paid 19,500 for a
    2000 honda accord EX , auto, no leather.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I paid 17,000 For an Accord LX 5spd with alarm/remote entry system. The Accord wins hands down with its 2.3 VTEC engine over the Camry. I like a more sporty feel and ride and the Accord won my wife over right away, after test driving a Mazda 626, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, VW Jetta TDI, Saturn LS1.. and even a Hyndia Sonota! Yikes!
    The only reason I can see why so many Camry's are sold is because of the quiet, isolated feel the car gives. But as far as performance.. forget it...
  • Options
    DaleRKDaleRK Member Posts: 2
    I've not written here for awhile, but I've just a couple of things to add to others' comments. I've had the EX 4 cyl. now for 2 1/2 years...not one thing had gone wrong after 39,000 miles. Routine care, rotating tires, keeping it clean and polished, and it still works and looks like a new vehicle. I'm very close to buying a second Accord EX, 4 cyl. for my own use, as I'm spending too much time in my wife's Accord.

I can't sing the praises high enough for this vehicle, it's fit and finish, drivability, economy and reliability. I'm a teacher, not a Honda salesman :).
  • Options
    moose18moose18 Member Posts: 13
    Was that price for a 4 or 6 cylinder Accord EX and did it have leather seats??
    Appreciate the info.
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I too have been looking at both of these models.
    We own 2 Camry's and see no reason to change but the devil is in the details. The Camry XLE has wood trim otherwise it is just about the same car
    except for a fancy radio as the Good Deal Camry LE that is available until AUG 31st at 18997. I have yet to try an Accord although we owned an 88 Honda and it was terrific except the seats were rather low to the floor. My guess at this momentis that unless the Accord is really different the Camry is the better bet.
  • Options
    booboo2511booboo2511 Member Posts: 4
    It was the 4 cyl. with cloth seats. First time we have owned a Honda. Have always been partial to foreign cars (reliability) and was impressed by the build of the Honda. If I can shed anymore light on my buying experience I would be more than happy to share that with you.
  • Options
    boughtaondaboughtaonda Member Posts: 1
    EXL, 4 cyl. leather, sun roof, alloy wheel, side airbag etc. sound like it has everything except 6 cyl. Paid 22000 include everything (almost, except they sold me something extra called lojact(?)). Not sure that was agood deal or not but just want to share with you.
  • Options
    eggnogeggnog Member Posts: 5
    Since they are still clearing out the 2000 models, I decided to chip in with my opinions about the car.
    We had a Camry xle V6 '93. It was nice but getting up there in miles. Traded it in. Decided to try something different than Toyota so the safe decision was Honda.

Thought process was, my wife wanted leather, so it was either an SE with leather (they can be found), EX-L 4cyl, or V6. Although we knew the 4 cyl was strong, when we found the v6 was only 2k more we decided to get it. Got it for $22,300 excluding tax lic, destination. Always negotiate to have the floor mats thrown in free. Honda gives little else. Oh, used www.autobytel.com.

Couldn't be happier with the car. Despite everyone else in Silicon Valley having one, it is a new and different car to us and from the inside it is especially impressive. Very powerful, yet gas mileage appears to be better than our old 93 Camry v6.

For my wife, if it is too complicated she won't use it and I found the ease of use of the climate control and radio to be pretty much right on and the buttons are big. For example, three easy to find buttons in the middle, FM, CD, AM.

For me, I just installed a K&N air filter on it and I hope it the oil and oil filter are easy enough to change on a v6.

Keep in mind that with the side air bags in the side of the seat, you cannot cover it with regular seat covers. One store said they can put a sheepskin seat cover with an open side seam that is held together with velcro because they've been doing this with Volvo's for years. Don't know if I'd cover that beautiful leather anyway.

if anybody wants to email me more about the dealership in San Jose, CA or any other honda questions, email me directly.

andy.aganad@flextronics.com
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I just helped my neighbor purchase a 2000 Accord LX 4 door 4 cyl automatic. The cars on her compare list were Accord LX, Camry LE and Mazda 626 (distant third). We both preferred the Accord over the Camry. She got an increadable deal $17,500 (not including tax and title) Edmunds indicated the invoice price was $18,050 with a $370 dealer hold back. We went in thinking $18,250 would have been a good price and were amazed they went that far below invoice. I guess end of the month, end of the year does make a difference.

I on the other hand own a 2000 Passat sedan that I really like. Honda and Toyota don't do anything for me, way too common. I used to own a 92 Acura Legend with a manual transmission that was a great car. I looked at Acura TL, Mercedes C230, Audi A4 and BMW 323 and ended up with a Passat - couldn't be more satisfied with it. The spouse drives a 98 Audi A6 wagon that been a fantastic car, it just hit the 50k mile mark without one problem to report - totally trouble free. I expect the Passat to be a similar experience.
  • Options
    niceguyniceguy Member Posts: 20
    A Honda dealer in Maryland offerred me $20,800 for the 2000 EX (V4), 5-speed, cloth seats, foglight, wind deflector, mudguards, and floormats. This price is the out-of-the-door price, and what do you think ? Is this a right price or not ?

Thanks for all your input and good luck to all new-car-shoppers ;)
  • Options
    torvotorvo Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2000 Accord EX V6 in Denver for 22,995 including Destination and floor mats. The deal is nothing to brag about, but it was the best we could do around here. After having the car for a month now, I must say we are both very happy with it. Aside from minor quibbles (my wife's small fingers trigger the panic button too easily) everything works just fine. I would recommend the car to prospective buyers.

Now, I have a question that I hope somebody can answer. My wife (convenient scapegoat) dropped some coins into the opening surrounding the parking brake. I have not found any way to remove the console to retrieve the coins. Will it screw anything up (parking brake, tranny) if we are unable to retrieve them? Should we take it to a shop to have the console removed? Has anyone here successfully removed and replaced the console? It's probably not a biggie, but I always tend to believe the worst. I just need some peace of mind.

Thanks
  • Options
    jeffhollisterjeffhollister Member Posts: 1
    It is unlikely that the change will affect your emergency brake mechanism. There is even less chance that it will affect your transmission or trans linkage.

Most consoles are attached at the front and rear, and this usually consists of a couple phillips head screws. To find them, try removing the ashtray at the rear of the console. The front screws ar normally located on the sides.

Many times you can even slip a slot screw driver underneath the area (on the side) where they fell in, separating the console from the carpet. Then they just fall out.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ethmcdethmcd Member Posts: 6
    Looks like the prices paid here are in line with what I just recently bought mine for. I paid $22500 for the EX V-6 model, price includes destination, mats and free oil changes and car detailing (during oil change visits) for as long as I own the car. I am so happy with the car's performance, and how easy and fun it is to drive. Here in So Calif where driving is essential to get anywhere, it has been a pleasure hittin' those freeways in pure comfort. These leather seats are just the ticket!

My first Honda, after being a mad mom in a minivan for so long, is a joy to drive.

Enjoy yours!
  • Options
    carcasscarcass Member Posts: 1
    I just bought Accord EX V6. Question for experts:
    How easily can I replace myself rear speakers? I've read here they are the worst component of audio system, and as I know there are many decent replacements (Pioneer TS-A6999 6x9 speakers, for example). The only problem is - I don't know how to do that.
    By the way, does anybody know (or know where to find) frequency response data for Honda Accord audio system?
    Every response will would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    booboo2511booboo2511 Member Posts: 4
    We have had our 2000 Accord EX now for a week. My wife is completely satisfied and I feel we got a good deal on the car. The most important thing though is that the wife is happy! This is the first time we have owned a mid size sedan and the extra room that it affords her is quite appealing. I mainly purchased the car for its reliability and resale value. The little I have drove it the car seems to handle well and has plenty of power for a 4 cyl. I drive a BMW 328IC so I truly can not give this car its dues when trying to compare it what I'm use to driving. I'm impressed with the quality of the vehicle as far as the fit and hopefully will be pleased with its predicted reliability.
  • Options
    art49art49 Member Posts: 3
    Time for some comment's.
    Bought the car last December. 4th Honda I've had. Replaced an '86 Accord w/ 215K miles.

In August I've put over 5,000 miles on the car. Drove it from Northern Va to Denver & back (2 days each way), then the following week drove it to Atlanta and back. Talk about "white line fever".

Reactions: Met every expectation I had. No oil consumption at all, even crossing Kansas in 90+ heat. Rolled normally at 75-80, and still was getting 34 MPG. When I pushed it up to 85 in eastern CO the mileage dropped to 30 MPG. Made it to Denver (1730 miles) with just 3 fill ups (eastern KY, St. Louis, Hays,KS)
    After 14 hours in the seat, still could walk when I got out of the car. Great seats.

Going to Atlanta I had to hold the speed to about 70, so the mileage rose to 36. One fillup each way.

I bought this car expecting it to perform this way. It did, absolutely. Good luck to all you new Accord owners out there.
  • Options
    thekondosthekondos Member Posts: 7
    My husband wants to buy a 97 Honda Accord SE 4 cylinder. The dealer offered him 15,100 including a 100K bumper to bumper warranty. The car has 51K miles. Is this a good deal? He walked away for now, to think over the weekend but the dealer is trying to make him think if he does not jump he will lose out..... Any opinions??
  • Options
    accordexcoupeaccordexcoupe Member Posts: 2
    hi..
    just bought 5 spd Accord EX Coupe with leather seats in Silicon Valley area.

The price was a little bit steep (21,000 including destination, excluding tax, title), because it was so hard to find 5 spd in this area (the price with auto is lower!, I went to 3 dealers, only 2 had 5 spd Coupe EX with leather, only 1 dealer agrees with 6.9% APR-5 years considered I am the first time buyer so no choice!). I test drove the 4 cyl auto and gee it's slow, changed to stick..what a difference! Better MPG and the VTEC really kicks off! Anyway I have been driving stick since I was 15 (7 years ago) and I love it, so much control and of course fun! They should put 5 spd in V6 :<(

I have a question for all Honda Accord lovers:
    On the sticker under "Exterior Features" it says "Heat-Rejecting Green-Tinted Glass", is that a standard feature for 00 EX or not? If not How much actually I have to pay for that? I have to make sure the dealer didn't rip me off by selling the standard feature for extra money

Thanks for all inputs...

BTW Camry? That's for my dad not for me :<)..Solara? Hmhm..Accord looks much more original to me ..I didn't even try to stop at the Toyota dealers...

100 miles 00 EX-L 5 spd
    Nighthawk Black
    Accord Coupe
  • Options
    cambridge1cambridge1 Member Posts: 1
    I understand you're offered an Accord SE-4cyl for 15,000 w/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty by the dealer w/ 51,000 mile to begin with.
    Let me shed some light about mine. I bought my 4cyl 96 Accord EX , April 99 with 32,000 mile and now I have 81,000 on it already. I bought the car for $14,300 and that was a very good deal plus 50,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty for an extra $500. I have not experience any problem at all.

My advise is that you need to shop around a little bit more, don't make a hasty decision. I think the 100,000mi warranty for a Honda Accord is good but it isn't really applicable. The reason being is that Accord usually has no problem if you just do your schedule maintenance regularly even up to 150,000mi. So the warranty that the dealer gave you really has no benefit on you, because an Accord rarely develops any problem below 100,000mi anyway. My advise: don't be fooled w/ that 100,000 mi warranty. I think the price that the dealer gives you is rather too high.

My first Accord was an EX model of 92, and bought it in 93 and now I have 220,000mi on it.,,,I still have an original transmission on it,,of course, I have changed the parts due to normal wear and tear,,but as far as transmission goes,, it still runs smoothly.

If you live in Southern CA, perhaps you might want to check Price Auto Mart in Anaheim by Arrowhead Pond Stadium. They might have some deals for you. I'm just a student who always intact w/ cars' prices especially Accord.
  • Options
    thekondosthekondos Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all your great input. We have been questioning exactly what you presented about the warranty and have been thinking that we may be swayed unnecessarily. We have always owned American cars before and needed those warranties! : )

We ended up not buying the car because we thought we could do better.

Thanks again for your .02 cents. It really helped us out!!!

If anyone else has a good idea of what these cars should go for (maybe even a 98) in the Southeastern area (FL) please drop a post.
  • Options
    notacarbuffnotacarbuff Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 Camry LE(auto)about three weeks
    ago and have about 750 miles on it now. So far
    I've been quite pleased with the car, but over
    the past week I have noticed something that's
    starting to drive me crazy. When I am at a light,
    with the tranny in "Drive" and my foot on the
    brake, I can feel a distinct vibration through
    the brake pedal and also an audible and
    continuous rattling. I've checked the glove compartment and other storage areas and there's nothing there that's
    loose (like change, sunglasses etc.)
    The same story when in "Neutral" or "Reverse",
    but NOT in "Park". (Btw, the A/C is off during
    all this.)

Has anyone else noticed this? Any guesses on
    what the reason might be? Is this Toyota's
    way of getting around the "complaint" that
    the Camry is too smooth and quiet :-)

I have a service appointment with the dealership
    tomorrow re. this. But knowing the run-around
    that service shops tend to give customers on
    such things, I thought I'd go in armed with
    some info.

Thanks for any info. you may have!
  • Options
    Hi,

I live in Lowell, Mass. Have made a downpayment on
    a 2000 Honda Accord SE. I am getting it at 17500/-
    way below the Edmunds Invoice price of 18668/-.
    But, I found that there was an ENVIRONMENTAL
    PROTECTION package worth 670/- attached to the
    price of the car and the car was manufactured in
    Nov99. Atleast, I know that there are cars as new
    as Feb00.

If iam lucky, i may get the 4.9%apr too. I wanted
    to know more about the environment protection
    package and whether this is a good offer? Is there
    anything I need to look into before going ahead any
    further?

Any pointers appreciated.
  • Options
    frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    Looks like a fantastic offer to me...especially if you get the 4.9% financing (don't worry about the manuf. date - it's still a 2000 car). In other words, don't walk, run down to the dealer and buy this car!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your inputs!
    I will be picking my car tomorrow evening. Its a Ruby Red Pearl with Ivory. Cant wait to be seated ;) Any info about car care and upgrades welcome.
  • Options
    Iam new to this country and have zero credit
    history!

I booked a HONDA ACCORD SE last weekend for 17500!
    The dealer promised me that I will get 4.9%apr
    from American Honda Finance Corp(AHFC). Now he gets
    back to me and says that Iam not eligible bcoz i
    have no credit history.

Interestingly, I was ***approved*** by AHFC 2
    months back for 4.9%APR for the same car. But, I
    walked out of the deal then.

I have, however, faxed the dealer the docs that
    were given to me last time from AHFC. IS this
    going to help?

Could anyone let me know whats the next course of
    action I should take?
  • Options
    accordexcoupeaccordexcoupe Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that SE now is on sale and there won't any SEs again until 2003 when Accord will be redesigned so I guess you have a better chance of getting better deal than me. I was looking for EX-L Coupe 5 spd! No body had it bcoz everybody drives auto in Bay Area so none was on sale. If you're a good shifter, you might want to test drive 5 spd Accord. It's much faster, the VTEC really kicks off. The auto (4 cyl) seems lack of power and the transmission sometimes upshift and downshift at the wrong time.
    Ok, that's all
    Rudy
  • Options
    asaricasaric Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I am 6'3" tall and I am not sure if I would fit in Accord. As far as I can see from the stats Camry's leg room is at least 1.5" more than Accord. Any other tall Accord drivers out there with comments?
  • Options
    phil93phil93 Member Posts: 4
    My 1990 accord EX periodically doesn't start. It doesn't do it on a consistent basis. When it does do it, the engine turn but never catches. I brought it to Honda service and they said until it happen on a consistent basis, they cant diagnose the problem. Has anybody had this problem? What was the resolution? Please help because it's madding.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I have over 30k trouble-free miles on my '99 Passat GLS Turbo, 5 speed. I love this car.

I chose it over the Accord EX-4, 5 speed. The biggest reason was that the Passat offered me a LOT more room, especially in the hips and shoulders. I am a big guy, over 300#, 6' tall with a long torso, and I fit super comfortably in the Passat with tons of headroom. In the Accord, my shoulder was jammed against the b-piller and I had to lean the seat waaaay back to get enough headroom. Very uncomfortable. I did find the back seat of the Accord to be a bit bigger.

I also like the smooth torque of the VW Turbo over the VTEC engine in the Accord. Despite the equal 150hp, I found the VW engine to have more usable power in day-to-day situations with peak torque of 154 available allt he way from 1850RPMs to nearly redline. The car cruises effortlessly on the highway and is rock solid. The interior materials are first rate, and it has all the amenities: power everything, tilt & telescoping wheel, 4-wheel disk brakes with ABS, traction control, heated mirrors, 5-start crash test ratings, etc. It is built off the same platform as the Audi A4 and A6 sharing most major mechanicals: engines, trannys, chassis, suspensions, plus many other parts.

I paid $19,300 for mine, $200. less then the best negotiated price on tthe Accord EX-4. I think the "base" Passat is a real deal, a true value that suited ~MY~ needs better then the Accord and Camry. The more expensive, higher-end Passats get closer to $30k and frankly, at that price point the competition is a lot stiffer: TL, Audi, Bimmer, etc.

Above all, buy what suits you best, they are both solid, modern cars that suit very different types of owners and drivers. Anyone who tells you one is crap and one is the best, etc, is just blowing smoke. They are two very good cars... which is best for you is up to you.
  • Options
    cpritzkercpritzker Member Posts: 1
    phil93,
    My 91 accord did the same thing several months ago. I had it fixed at the Honda dearler for about $150. The service guy told me it was a wear and tear problem with the ignition. I had no problems since then. I will pick up my car from service today and I will check for you to see what exactly it's called so you can let your Honda people know.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your advice. well, AHFC just said NO. I got the DCU 9.4% :(.

I drove the car home yesterday and never have been so happy. Its cherry red and the praises are pouring in...
    cheers,
  • Options
    thicks23thicks23 Member Posts: 42
    I don't own an Accord but I have driven the newest generation a few times. I am about your height and I find plenty of room in every direction in the Accord even with the sunroof.