Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• Japanese cars fuel enconomy is - oh sorry, it should be was - great.

How come?

Look at the Chevrolet Impala LS.

1) It accelerates quicker that either Accord or Camry
    2) it provide better fuel economy 20/29 <--- See,
    this is a fact, not just saying , oh yeah, my car is ver fuel effeicient.

3) and finally, which is most importand, the Impala is haveier than Accord or Camry by at least 180 lbs.

Don't Japanese cars feel shamed? or should their owners feel shamed?
  • By the way, the details in posting 204 are refer to cars with V6 and auto transmission.

For more details,
    www.chevrolet.com

or just www.edmunds.com

but www.chevroelt.com provides more information
  • I am a young person, who does not know history, which is good for me.

you may ask why. when I look at cars, i don't look according to my subjective opinions.
    Like, luxury interior <--what's that stand for?
    smooth, quick engine <--how quick (once again, can't count smooth!!)
    good quality <-- a lot of recalls means good?
    good fuel economy <-- you bet (See posting 204)
    Pricy <-- Yeah, that's the only thing i agree with Japanese cars
  • VTEC is just fancy-term for some guys that are not famaliar with cars.

VTEC is a technique (from an advertising poing of view) that pumpps up the horsepower of a engine that is not capable of before adding VTEC.

So what does that mean?
    Very simple, the VTEC only "operates" in high rpms
    , more that 4800 rpm. You can't operate the VTEC if you are driving in either city or highway unless you are speeding. You can only operate VTEC on race tracks.. but are you going to bring an Accord down to the race track? Even the prelude is sort of incapable. The only japanese sport car(s) which is capable (not the very expensive ones) is the Acura Integra Type R. without leather sunroof, and optional for air-cond and cd-player for its expensive price tag
  • dave68dave68 Posts: 16
    If these forums where based purely on objective factual information there would be no need for them. You could simply look at a spec sheet and decide which vehicle you want. I believe that the opinions people provide are valuable to people considering purchasing one of these vehicles. You state that "The only Japanese sport car(s) which is capable (not the very expensive ones) is the Acura Integra Type R." My friend that is a subjective opinion. Just because it is subjective does not mean it should be discounted.

This topic covers the 4 cylinder versions of these three cars. The variance in price is rather negligable. MSRP has the Passat around $1,000 more than Camry and Camry around $1,000 more than Accord. These cars definately are competing for the same buyers.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    last I heard, just 2 weeks back, the Camry XLE has automated climate control. Did Toyota change their car in the last 2 weeks?

here is something from the Camry brochure.

STANDARD FEATURES1
    All CE and LE Standard Features Plus3:
    All models
    Dual color-keyed heated power outside mirrors
    P205/65R15 tires on 15" aluminum alloy wheels
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Multi-adjustable power driver's seat with lumbar support and power passenger seat
    Wood-grain-style interior trim
    Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

CFC-free automatic climate control with soft-touch controls <---- automatic climate control

Anti-theft system with engine immobilizer
    Remote keyless entry system with panic feature
    JBL Premium AM/FM ETR/Cassette/CD with 6 speakers and FM diversity reception
    V6 models add
    P205/60R16 tires on 16" aluminum alloy wheels
  • Hi.

You mean opinion is more valuable than facts:
    First, opinions are biased. No doubt.
    Secondy, then, why don't we care about those opinions then.

E.G. If i say the camry is very fast, yeah you can agree if you are driving a somewhat 1988 camry with 4 cylinder. So what is fast? Tell me the 0-60 mph.

By the way, i did not explain why the type-r is capable.

First, it has a better acceleration than a honda prelude.
    Secondy, it has a better skidpad result than a honda prelude.

They are facts, check that out in motortrend or what so ever.

See. you got to explain things by facts, not just saying "Yeah, I think" or "Yeah, i feel"
  • Hi.

You mean opinion is more valuable than facts:
    First, opinions are biased. No doubt.
    Secondy, then, why don't we care about those opinions then.

E.G. If i say the camry is very fast, yeah you can agree if you are driving a somewhat 1988 camry with 4 cylinder. So what is fast? Tell me the 0-60 mph.

By the way, i did not explain why the type-r is capable.

First, it has a better acceleration than a honda prelude.
    Secondy, it has a better skidpad result than a honda prelude.

They are facts, check that out in motortrend or what so ever.

See. you got to explain things by facts, not just saying "Yeah, I think" or "Yeah, i feel"
  • for MSRP for almost same equipment
    Passat is about $1000 more than a camry LE.
    Yeah, statistically, but you forget the passat is with Manaul? So what is the cost of an automatic.
    Haha!

Then, Passat is not about $2000 more than an Accord LX. You should say $3000 if you don't know how to round off numbers. (Dont't you think a $2660 should tends to $3000 more than $2000?)

Don't fool people around here.
  • for MSRP for almost same equipment
    Passat is about $1000 more than a camry LE.
    Yeah, statistically, but you forget the passat is with Manaul? So what is the cost of an automatic.
    Haha!

Then, Passat is not about $2000 more than an Accord LX. You should say $3000 if you don't know how to round off numbers. (Dont't you think a $2660 should tends to $3000 more than $2000?)

Don't fool people around here.
  • will you build your house based on your opinions?
    Yeah, you probably will. So you house will probably fall if you do not do the math before
    (The MATH are the facts, numbers, countable quantity)
  • yah, I know I have been very annoying here because nobody wants to listen to something they don't want to listen.

So the camry and accord owners cannot dream in their own frame, just assuming japanese cars are good in quality and expertise in enginnering. YOU have to tell the manufacturers that you know their tricks, so that they cannot use it again.

By the way, don't you think the previous japanese cars just garbage metal with four wheels on it?

If you don't belive that, just tell me on the posting, and I will explain why.
  • It seems to me that the "previous Japanese cars" you are referring to were built in the same period where a domestic car would fall apart the second it rolled off the lot.

Peter167, what is your purpose on this topic? Are you the self-proclaimed referee? Do you have anything constructive to add to this topic about the Accord, Camry, or Passat?

Although, I guess I should live my entire life based on nothing but facts alone. Attention, everyone!! You should be looking at nothing but pure numbers on spec sheets and pricing guides. Everyone should come to the conclusion that the Chevrolet Metro is THE car to have because on paper, it is the most economically and financially efficient vehicle out there. Part of being human is having opinions. Let me ask you... what kind of steel is your car built with? No, you can't say strong steel. I want the exact type of steel, because that is what I am basing my buying purchase on. Who cares if the fake leather in BMW's feels better and lasts longer than most real leathers? Since it is not hand-tanned Connolly leather, I guess I won't buy it.

Anyone else get my point? Please, express your opinions. That is what these boards are here for. The human race has reached a point where we can express our opinions. I think that happened in the Renaissance period.
    You stated that beautifully. By the way what did you guys end up getting or are you still looking?
  • You are just saying somthing crappy again.

You cannot compare a Metro with any cars that are not in the price range, and you seems a little be excited about my comments, which certainly implies
    SOMEthing.

The type of steel you car is built can actually be found and you don't know or want to find it because you just believe what you think, not what you see.

It's too bad that you are the old referee who always believes some fairy tales. Are you educated? Do you know what is inquiring?

I hope you will change your attitude of your life.
  • Maybe you guys believe Japanese cars have good build quality.

but please go to carpoint.msn.com first before you
    put any comments on my comment. They have a comprehensive review of all the used cars. go out there, check your car and check other cars as well.

Find out what is different now?
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Peter, you have far too much time on your hands.
    I've owned four different Japanese cars in the last 10 years.

90' Acura Integra
    91' Infiniti Q45
    93' Bonneville SSEi
    94' Honda Accord
    96' Toyota Camry

I don't need to go look the site you are refering to, I can speak from my own experiences. All of my Japanese cars were excellent cars in build quality and fit and finish. The Pontiac left much to be desired. The Accord and Camry in my "opinion" were quality cars but boring to drive.

I currently have a 2000 VW Passat and a 1999 Mercedes ML320. Over the next several years I will form my "opinion" on these German vehicles. I obviously thought that I would like them or I would not have made the decision to purchase them.
    Rather than basing your thoughts on spec sheets and others reviews why not form some "opinions" of your own.
    Before you start tearing into other people about whether or not they are educated, you need to read through your posts again. Because of your poor grammar, I had a hard time just trying to figure out what you were trying to say.
  • So come to a conlusion:

You people believe what you think, not what you see. (from other surveys and staistics that are less subjective than your opinions!)

so when your math teacher ask you what is 1+1,
    just tell him or her that it is 3. Why? Because you think it is 3, and it will be absolutely right because what you think is always right.

So no need for math, no need for science, no need for logic. Because what everyone thinks is right!
  • Yaeh, I know it is very hard for people to say:
    "Yeah, my car now that I have bought is trash. I should have bought the other..."

But after you buy another car, you are quite confident to say "Yeah, the car I owned before is trash."

But it is the same car, right?

Do you know why I post so many comments here?

Let's disregard all makes and models.
    Be objective. Cars, no matter how expensive your car is, (VW or Mercedes or as cheap as a Hyundai Accent) must have their own advantages and disadvantges, and these disadvantages need to be corrected. But some stubborn car owners keep on saying that "Yeah, my car has no problems," and "Yeah my car is perfect!", then how come there are newer models on the road?

E.g.: Your car is perfect, then how come your car needs to be redesigned after 4 years?

The redesign of cars needs the owners inputs, comments. Certainly, there are problems in your own car, unless you don't consider disadvantages as problems. So understand my point here now?

By the way, I am 19 who study in the the University of Waterloo in Canada. I ain't some old guys.

Just tell me what you think about this posting.
    Agree or disagree?
  • Is it a good comment, or bad comment?
  • 1999 vw passat has two major recalls.

Hope 2000 passat owners won't have any recalls same as the 1999 ones.

www.nhtsa.dot.gov
  • sv1sv1 Posts: 12
    I didn't get it first either. One has to read carefully.

peter167 summed it up best through this analogy. Car guy A compares an Accord to a Toyota Camry--which he happens to own. He says the Toyota has the better engine, and that it's much faster than the Honda's. Yet, a piece of paper proves him wrong...

Without objective facts, anyone can say anything about his car without any backing. And if one thinks that an owner won't be biased about his vehicle one way or another, he's nuts...

Of course, subjective opinions are great too. For example, in comparing a Honda engine to a Toyota engine, one might prefer the later rev characteristics of the Honda, or the more even delivery of the Toyota. That's something that a 0-60 time can't tell you.

Regardless, these "opinions" should be put in perspective. Sometimes, they're just subjective rankings that vary greatly from person to person. Other times, they're not even opinions. Instead, they're simply factually wrong statements. From the tone of pete's posts, I think that these statements are the one's that really get pete's goat...

With that said, peter, you don't belong here. None of the cars on this list are American, so there's absolutely no point in arguing about American quality/reliability *in this topic*. I suggest heading over to the "Foreign or Domestic" topic, where your views will be more on-topic.
    What you said makes perfect sense!
  • I didn't change my tune and to anyone else I don't care about number 1 sales. Simply stating that the resale value of the Camry will suffer due to the flood of [abused]Camry rentals that will be re-sold by Avis, Hertz etc. You may not believe this now, but you will realize it when you go to sell your Camry -just like the Taurus owner did...

BTW I am referring to the NA market, thanks for sending us the facts.

End Of Topic
  • Opinions are the exact reason why there are dozens of vehicles in different vehicle categories. How a car makes you feel is very important in a car buying decision. 0-60 times on paper have no relevance in a car buying decision. Car "A" has quicker 0-60 times on paper than car "B". However, car "B" is quicker for a particular person's driving habits. The Honda Civic Si comes to mind. Sure, the Civic Si sure is quick if you redline it at each shift. However, shift it a 4,000rpm and the vehicle's 0-60 times nearly double. That person's opinion of the Civic Si is that it is slower than their minivan. That is an extremely valid opinion.

Does it really matter what kind of steel my car is made with? Does it really matter what kind of leather my car has in it? Does it really matter what the on-paper performance says? No. What matters is which car I like better. That is my opinion, and that is what makes me who I am.

On paper, the Chevy Metro is probably the most perfect car you can get. Great mileage, decent performance, excellent price. However, I don't like the Metro so therefore I won't buy one. That's my opinion.

Am I educated? Not only am I educated (and certainly more educated than a 19 year old freshman or sophomore), but I work in the auto industry. I know from personal experience that opinions count.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    Don't worry about it. Now that you know that Honda also does fleet sale in North American, why aren't you worried all those abused Accord ruining Accord's resale value? The reason is simple, the number involve is tiny compared to the market.

Camry is very rare in Avis and Herz's fleet (They both reported Chevy lumina and Ford Taurus constitute the their midsize fleet). The number of camrys in fleet is insignifcant compared to the demand for Camrys in the used car market out there. Just like Honda's fleet sale is insignificant to the demand in the used car market for Accords. So rest assured that Camry and Accord will hold it's resale very well. :)

You might not believe it right now, but Camrys are going to have a high resale for many years to come, simply because of its top notch reputation and it's ever increasing popularity (and the resulting demand).

End of topic.
  • juzefjuzef Posts: 37
    Wonders if it is worth getting philosophical
    when it comes to car talk? Judging by this
    forum, it is. When it comes to a 20+ thousand
    dollar purchase, I suppose anything goes.

Joseph
    in Vermont
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    jstandefer:
    Which car do you think needs to be shifted at 4000 rpm and performs better than Civic Si? Somebody was thinking that if S2000 is shifted at 5500 rpm, it will do 0-60 in 12 seconds. These are funny and ignorant assumptions. Why would a 400 lb lighter car, with more torque and horsepower at same rpms take 1.5X of the time when it is not geared like a truck?