Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury.

I myself broke my back almost three years ago and I will tell you during that time I chose to drive my wife's automatic MB300D instead of my manual BMW. For the first time I learned how painful a clutch could be.

A Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Targa with or without tiptronic sounds like my future dream car.

With such a RX your doctor certainly does sound very qualified. ;)
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    As Bismark once said, only fools learn from their own mistakes . . . smart people learn from the mistakes of others. A successful individual or enterprise should never stop learning from others. It's when a company stops learning from others that should make us especially suspecious of their subsequent performance.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I wish my doctor could give me such a RX

LOL.

Yeah, spinal injury. Neck. Really sucks. :sick:

Thanks for the kind words!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks to D-Man and brightness also! :D Much appreciated guys.

TagMan
    My bad :sick:

Magna Steyr assembles the MB E Class 4 matic, G Class and the X3 in Austria

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Magna Steyr won a contract from Porsche to assemble both Cayman and Boxster vehicles.

Thanks for the correction!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Otherwise, I might have selected a Mercedes SL550, and while very nice, I think the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Targa is the right move for me at this time.

Curious, did you consider the XK8?
    Curious, did you consider the XK8?

Love the XK, as I have posted, but we really don't need yet another Jag in the family. The new Audi R8 would have been cool, but it is a long way from a reality, so I am hoping (praying would be more accurate) that this Targa will be a great car.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Just can't accept the fact that Toyota might possibly need or want to learn something from a rival carmaker? Now if the BW article had stated the opposite it would be touted as being oh-so correct and the absolute truth.

M
    BusinessWeek is one of the most respected magazines in the business . . . and rightly so, IMO. I'm a subscriber.

Both articles that were linked here recently were terrific. The first one I linked was about BMW, and the second one Dewey linked was about Mercedes.

What's your beef, anyway?

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Love the XK, as I have posted, but we really don't need yet another Jag in the family.

I mentioned it because if you're stuck with an autobox, the Jag's is one of the best. I tried a Porsche Carrera S with the tip, really wasn't impressed by it. The Maserati coupe and spyder are also due for a refresh next year, and their SMGs don't need a clutch as well.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that Magna Steyr won a contract from Porsche to assemble both Cayman and Boxster vehicles.

Maybe it was related to this? Link
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    He had owned the M-class suv and the small C-class with the V-6. Apparently, the C-class had 32 visits to the shop in about a year and a half. As he described the situation, just about everything imaginable had gone wrong with his cars . . . some of the situations being dangerous, with regards to the brake failure in the M and electrical meltdown in the C. He said the sunroof dislodged itself somehow in the M, and he was kindly describing all the horrible stuff that he and his wife had endured.

That's from a post you made in July, tagman. (And P.S., dewey, while not an "exploding Pinto", qualtiy issues seemed dangerous to that MB owner.)

It is because of the "possible few exceptions" to the generally adequate reliability of modern cars that I wouldn't, as I said earlier, buy a first-year MB. And in the case of the ML, GL, and R, I might well not even consider a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year either!

That being said, JDP puts initially quality of the 2007 S-class at "about average" (in their words), so that one is still a possibility.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    On the contrary, I am just trying to point out (as did Brightness) that learning from the mistakes of others is smart business and should be applauded, not criticized.

Remember, the Japanese studied U.S automaker operations a few years ago and we all know what that led to. Sound familiar? A lot of people who laughed at them then are laughing out of the other side of their mouth today. Just don't be surprised in a couple of years when you see a better BMW coming out of Japan.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Just don't be surprised in a couple of years when you see a better BMW coming out of Japan.

I welcome it. However you won't see it because Germany has roads that you can legally do 150 mph on and they make their cars accordingly. A car that can do that kind of speed also has desirable qualities at 65 mph that most Japanese cars don't have. Reliability is a separate issue. This is what you many of you Japanese car fans don't get.

Having said that, there isn't a German-car fan who wouldn't welcome the reliability of a Lexus, but they are unwilling to make that tradeoff and, as these fans have suggested, the reliability concern just isn't that significant.

By the way, I don't care what the quote says. You ALSO have to learn from your own mistakes because you ARE going to make them. Lexus makes mistakes, especially in their product design. And when I say "design" I'm not just talking about styling.
    It is because of the "possible few exceptions" to the generally adequate reliability of modern cars that I wouldn't, as I said earlier, buy a first-year MB. And in the case of the ML, GL, and R, I might well not even consider a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year either!

Yes, I remember the day my friend told me about those unfortunate and relentless issues that plagued his Mercedes Benz vehicles. We were in the Napa Valley Wine country that beautiful day.

So, I understand your perspective here, but, in some fairness, the GL will have had an extended '07 model year, and the '08 is likely to come with the diesel. The diesel (as used in the E) will have had a year to prove itself in 45 states (w/o the urea tank...no big deal) and the GL itself (gas version) will have proven itself one way or another. Perhaps the jury is still out on the GL? (Afterall, it is MT SUV Of The Year, if that means anything.)

The risk levels may likely be related to which of the assembly plants the vehicle model was manufactured in.

Most importantly from my point of view is that ALL cars can have lemons, and exceptions to the norm. We all take those risks when we purchase our vehicles.

Regardless of where a certain vehicle might rate with regards to reliability, I don't think that "lemon-type" circumstances are representative of anything that resembles the typical experiences the vast majority of people have with their cars.

TagMan
    Regarding a diesel GL, I think the record of the MB Alabama facility isn't encouraging. They had how many years to improve reliability of the original ML? Yet by 2005 the ML still was unreliable. So to me, potential reliability of the GL remains to be proven. To you and others, it might be "good enough."
    Regarding a diesel GL, I think the record of the MB Alabama facility isn't encouraging. They had how many years to improve reliability of the original ML? Yet by 2005 the ML still was unreliable. So to me, potential reliability of the GL remains to be proven. To you and others, it might be "good enough."

Not really. The "main 7-passenger SUV" in my garage must always be a reliable vehicle. This is because the wife and kids, and sometimes the entire family depend upon this single vehicle way too much to take the usual chances we are willing to take with the rest of our vehicles.

As you know, the ONLY Lexus we ever considered was an SUV, but the third-row flip-flop seats were too clumsy for my wife, so it didn't happen.

If the GL ends up with very poor reliability data, this would be the one and only vehicle that I would then say "pass", due to the unacceptable risk level.

TagMan
    If the GL ends up with very poor reliability data, this would be the one and only vehicle that I would then say "pass", due to the unacceptable risk level.

I didn't exactly word this well. Considering the rest of my post, it would have been clearer if I had said that ANY vehicle we consider for our family's primary SUV (not just the GL) would need to offer decent reliability, otherwise I would "pass" on it.

TagMan
    In everyday use you never need to touch that 3rd row on the LX. Just leave it in the normal position and forget about it. There is plenty of room behind the 3rd seat for everyday chores such as hauling groceries and shopping trips. The backs also just flip down if you need more room. Very easy. I bet I haven't strapped mine up but once or twice in the almost 4 years we have owned the truck. If you have a large item to haul you just take the seats out completely. Again, seldom used.

Once you have decided on what to buy just go out and drive an LX and compare it to whatever you have decided on. I was all set to buy an ML until I drove the LX. My overriding reason for the LX was my wifes safety. This vehicle is virtually all she will drive now. Her last vehicle was as RX 300. She loved it until she drove the LX.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Just don't be surprised in a couple of years when you see a better BMW coming out of Japan.

I doubt it. Studying how they put them together isn't going to yield the secrects of how a BMW is on the road. To duplicate a BMW Toyota is going to have to have a fundamental change in what they think a car should be and that ain't gonna happen. Lexus will edge closer and closer and BMW will keep moving the sport bar higher and higher. Likewise don't be surprised if one day if BMWs start to top the reliability surveys.

BMW is nothing like any company in the American car industry. BMW is one of the best run companies around, arguably the best of the Germans along with Porsche.

M
    Thanks, houdini.
    My wife's everyday use seems a bit more complicated somehow. Don't ask me why, but she needs to put those extra seats up and then down quite often . . . too often for those flip-flop seats, I'm afraid. This is why she ruled out the GX or LX. I've posted this before.

The previous GMC Denali XL was so darned big, she could leave the third row up and still have the enormous room she needed. Easy enough. Problem was, the vehicle had reached the end of its usable life, and we weren't going down the "giant" suv road again. Darned thing only got 12 mpg and was near impossible for her to park in certain situations. Also, the repairs were really major at times.

So, our goal was a reliable SUV, reasonable on gas, reasonable size, with a functional 3rd-row. Lexus was first (surprised?) on the list until those rear seats blew the deal.

So, she selected an Acura MDX, in the beginning of this year, loaded with everything possible, and it has been fine for her. Not even one service issue. When the GL came out I thought I had the chance to offer her an upgrade, but then I figured I might as well wait for the diesel.

In the meantime, I've recently wanted an SUV of my own, because there are times when I've got my son and and his friends and I take him to his different sports with all the gear, etc., but I don't need a 7-passenger like my wife does. That's why I was checking out the Range Rover Sport. If I'm going to have an additional SUV, it might as well be a really cool one, IMO. I'll check out the Cayenne and X5 as well.

So, the Lexus is out for her, but for me, I dont want a "mainstream" SUV. So, I won't get one. As you must already know by now, my vehicle needs don't always make a lot of sense. I just want to enjoy my vehicles as much as possible. That's why the Lotus and Jag, and the upcoming Porsche Targa (to replace the Lotus).

Anyway, I know that the Lexus SUV's are nice. If my wife would have been good with the third-row seats, we'd have one in the garage right now. Now, as far as the rest of the Lexus vehicles go, I doubt I would ever own one . . . because in all honesty, even though they are very well made, and I know that they are, they never seem to interest me enough. When I look at them, I don't feel anything at all. But as I said, I know they are darned good vehicles, and I don't want Lexus fans to misunderstand me. I just don't like the way they look or drive for some unknown reason.

TagMan
    Syswei your risk aversion ceases to amaze me.

Your obsession with reliability will deprieve you of wonderful driving experiences.

In my case I will choose a higher level of unreliability for the sake of improved driveability. When buying a car I willl intentionally pay extra for low profile performance tires. With such a choice my tires, wheels and suspension parts will be more suseptible to road hazards and damage.

Do I care? Ofcourse I do. But the extra costs and risks involved do not even come cloes to the pleasures I will gain with such tires.

If I wanted to pursue risklessness I would take the subway home instead of driving my car. I would forgo eating the foie gras at restaurants in order to avoid artery clogging issues. . I would forgo everything I desire in life.

IMO reliability and risklessness is far too over-rated!
    Well, as long as they keep chasing each other it is good for us, right? It is absolutely scary just how good most of these cars have become in the last few years. Just change the oil on a regular basis and drive the things a couple of hundred thousand miles. What in the world would someone who had never known anything but a Model T think if they sat in and drove one of these luxury cars that we all take for granted?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Your obsession with reliability will deprive you of wonderful driving experiences.

Words of wisdom. I agree.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Lexus will edge closer and closer and BMW will keep moving the sport bar higher and higher. Likewise don't be surprised if one day if BMWs start to top the reliability surveys.

If they are working towards each other (Lexus getting more sporty, BMW getting more reliable - neither of which I know of as true), then surely the car market can satisfy most people!

On a different topic:

I live in AL, and am dissappointed at the quality (or lack thereof) of vehicles coming from the Mercedes' coming from the Vance plant. On the contrary, the Honda plant in Talledega is on its fifth year of producing reliable products (Pilot, Odyssey). It had its 5th anniversary Monday if I remember correctly.

Either way, Alabamians are happy about the vehicle assembly plants coming our way (we also have Hyundai building Sonatas and Santa Fes near Montgomery, supposedly some of the best quality vehicles Hyundai has produced, ever).
    Your obsession with reliability will deprive you of wonderful driving experiences.

Words of wisdom. I agree.

My father once left his practical side to get a "fun" car; a convertible that from a car company not known for being reliable. It was a fun car for the 5 months he drove it (he owned it 8 months, but spent the better part of 3 months in the shop). He went back to finding a more reliable "fun" car after that.
    Hey, don't worry, no one was saying that MB's Alabama plant had issues because of the Alabama workforce.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome, grad! :)
    Oh, I know it, but it's actually what I was thinking in my head. It looks bad for us! Nobody was being derogatory towards Alabama, (though they have been on another board).

I don't drive a luxury car, but I enjoy reading this board and may start posting every now and then. Thanks for the welcome!

I frequent the Honda boards, so come say hi on my end of the site some time!
    My father once left his practical side to get a "fun" car; a convertible that from a car company not known for being reliable. It was a fun car for the 5 months he drove it (he owned it 8 months, but spent the better part of 3 months in the shop). He went back to finding a more reliable "fun" car after that.

Welcome to the board!

I don't think dewey's original post, as re-posted below:

was ever meant to suggest that we should completely trash the idea of reliability. As I understood it, and he and I and others have shared this opinion here on this forum . . . is that it is better to be balanced about our views of reliability.

It is of questionable value to be obsessed with reliability, as the consequences are obvious . . . dramatically reduced fun experiences and less choices that could otherwise broaden our horizons.

On the other hand, as your dad learned and taught you very well I imagine, there can be consequences to completely ignoring the genuine virtues of reliability.

The key is balance and moderation, IMO. But ultimately, people are wired differently, and our needs and tolerances can be dramatically different. There is no right or wrong here. But I do believe that there is something to be said for not being too obsessive at either end of the spectrum.

I look forward to more of your posts, and I appreciated your perspective on the assembly plants by different manufacturers. It clarifies that the good folks from Alabama (and elsewhere) are well-qualified to build reliable vehicles, if just given well-engineered parts, the right tools, a good working environment, and quality-focused procedures.

BTW, what was the first unreliable fun car that your dad purchased? And then the second more reliable fun car? Just curious, of course.

TagMan
    BTW, what was the first unreliable fun car that your dad purchased? And then the second more reliable fun car? Just curious, of course.

The unreliable fun car was a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (beautiful car though). He replaced it with a Civic Si.

Now, we have three Accords in our house! (Practical to the extreme, right?) One of them is my old H.S. car, a 1996. My new one is a 2006 sedan EX(I wanted a Civic Si myself, but I'm 6'4"!). His daily driver is a 2005 Accord EX sedan now.

(we aren't in the wealthy realm, comfortably in the middle class, so we don't really shop in the realm of cars in this thread).
    we don't really shop in the realm of cars in this thread

But, you can post here and share your opinions, views, and knowledge about these HELCs anytime you want, even if you don't own any car at all. BTW, I've always had a soft spot for Hondas! At 6'4", access may be limited. ;)

TagMan
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The GL is still in it's early stages.

True, it's platformate ML has suffered some minor woes, but this doesn't seem to be inherit of the R-Class, altho there are far to few to tell.

IMHO, I think that GL will do just fine. Judging from people that have had them since the spring, they appear very pleased with it.

This is not to say it will be without problems, particularly a first year model for any make.

But the quality woes that plagued MB at the turn of the century seem to have faded away, particularly on all of the new product.

There are people with 10-20k miles on new S-Classes that are reporting 0 probs after 10 months of use. This time in 2000, MB was backlogged with S430's and S500's that had Airmatic and COMAND problems.
    I see you're going al fresca with the Targa? Nice choice. Selling the Lotus?

I would love to have a new 911 Turbo Cab but (1) I value my marriage too much to buy another car for this year, and (2) There is no room anyway.

I hear Porsche opened and closed a Targa top on a new 997 1 million times without the roof failing. Now that's engineering for ya!

The same with the convertibles. The run them through a torture test before leaving the factory. And if it leaks, it doesn't leave, unlike many carmakers.
    I see you're going al fresca with the Targa? Nice choice. Selling the Lotus?

Yes, the Lotus will be history, but I don't regret the short time with it. It will have been a genuine kick. If everything goes as expected, I'll be in the Porsche sometime next week.

I hear Porsche opened and closed a Targa top on a new 997 1 million times without the roof failing.

Who gets THAT car? ;)

TagMan
    If I recall, you only had the Lotus for a matter of months? What led to the change of heart?
    If I recall, you only had the Lotus for a matter of months? What led to the change of heart?

No change of heart at all. My post 20991 explains.

TagMan
    Hope nothing happens to worsen your injury, because, heaven forbid, you might end up in a Lexus! ;)

Congrats on the Porsche.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Didn't you say that getting in and out of the Lotus was pretty much a challenge? That didn't cause your injury, did it? I'm very sorry to hear about that.
    "Who gets THAT car?"

Hopefully it stayed in Germany with all of the other test mules, like the Cayman S that circled "the Ring" for 6 months without a break, or breaking for that matter.

And that is how Porsche will remain the primal threat to all in it's class for some time to come. May also be the reason that the cars are so reliable, tops in German brands hands down. However, when the time does arouse for maintenance, it will bury you alive if the preventive hasn't been completed, like the mandatory 15k mile interval that "deep cleans" the engine and fuel systems.

One thing that I've come to learn about the 911's are that the tires don't last no more than 20k miles, no matter the brand or how you drive the car to get to that 20k miles.

But to be fair, I've replaced my Z06's tires all around @ 25k miles, so it's to be expected, but oddly, the rears on the 911's go before the fronts do, no doubt related to the rear mounted engine.
    Porsche AG said it has increased its stake in Volkswagen AG to 27.4 pct from 21.2 pct as it unveils a full year to end-July 2006 pretax profit of 2.110 bln eur, up from 1.238 bln, a boost fuelled by strong vehicle sales as well as one-off gains.

The spokesman said if the shareholding were to reach 30 pct, German laws require a company to make a mandatory offer to acquire the rest of the other firm, something which he said Porsche does not want to do right now in the case of Volkswagen.

The company's statement said the supervisory board has authorized the management board to increase the shares in Volkswagen up to a maximum of 29.9 pct.

Porsche's net income as a proportion of sales is the highest in the industry at 19 percent. That compares with 7.5 percent at Toyota Motor Corp., the world's second-biggest carmaker, for the year ended March 31, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Forbes

Bloomberg

The markets reacted negatively to the additional VW investment. Heh, heh... we take the "risk" of buying German cars and they up the risk ante on VW. I like their style.

;-)
    Didn't you say that getting in and out of the Lotus was pretty much a challenge? That didn't cause your injury, did it? I'm very sorry to hear about that.

Thanks, Pat.

No, I can't blame the Lotus. I took the hardtop off right after I got it, and that made getting in and out much easier.

I'll be very brief, as this forum isn't about my injury. The quick story is that the injury felt like knives in my neck so I drove myself to the hospital. The rest is history. Since the MRI's and X-rays, I've gotten four shots in the neck :sick: , and plenty of meds. I can now move around with physical therapy for a while.

So the Lotus is about to be gone. My focus is to get as much of my "life as I once knew it" back, but with new rules of the game and new limitations. I'm a trooper, though.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Remember when you emailed me that I had kind of "lost it" on the forum? The truth is I WAS pretty much out of it cause of those darned meds. :confuse: I've since learned to be more careful.

Thanks, Pat. Now enough about me. I'm hoping you'll let me talk about the Porsche next week if everything goes through as I hope it does. :)

TagMan
    I hope you're not overdoing it by buying a Porsche. My wife has back problems and I have to be very careful about driving, particularly with gear shifts which jolt the neck. The Boxster is totally out of the question for her. Also, the owner of my company has back problems and his wife gave up her Porsche because of it. Be careful.
    If the Tip is too jerky, then I'm SOL.

But, I anticipate my condition to improve enough for me to be able to do many of the things I used to do, including the Porshce. I just don't want to EVER do anything that could even remotely cause a repeat performance, and that would include driving the Lotus, among other things, like surfing, etc. I'll still coach kid's sports, but I'll have an assistant coach (for the really tough stuff) from now on.

While the Lotus didn't CAUSE the situation, it would be stupid for me to consider a car like that, which is well-known for being brutal on the driver. I don't think the Porsche has that kind of reputation, except for the suspension of the GT3, from what I understand.

TagMan
    I've always had a soft spot for Hondas!

Us too; I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer. :) That may not be true to some people, but it is close enough for our car budget (generally at or below $25k per vehicle)
    But, I anticipate my condition to improve enough for me to be able to do many of the things I used to do, including the Porshce. I just don't want to EVER do anything that could even remotely cause a repeat performance,

Tagman,

I find your Porsche decision very exciting indeed.
    I think you yourself know what's best for you.

I am tempted to suggest to you that you should wait a few months until your condition improves before buying another car. With changed conditions our tastes for cars also changes. But ofcourse I wont suggest that since it is only you that knows what is best in this particular situation of yours.
    I've always had a soft spot for Hondas!

Us too; I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer

I love the Honda S2000. Many years ago when it was introduced I liked it more than a BMW Z3. And I am quite sure that I will like the new S2000 more than the current Z4.

OK, ok now back to those high end cars.
    While the current E-Class doesn't quite make the grade for this forum, the NEXT generation might surprise all of us. Quick peak here:

2009 E-Class?

In the meantime, there is still the likelihood that merc's S-Class convertible will become a reality.

This was previously posted, but here's a reminder:

2008 S-Class convertible

As I recall, he'll be eating the brochure shortly after its release. merc - will that be with Ketchup, Mustard, or Bar-B-Que sauce?

TagMan
    Rather than fork over big bucks to get high-performance versions of sexy sports cars, some enthusiasts are trying to get the bling without the extra ka-ching.
    They are going to dealers or online auctioneer eBay to buy emblems in hopes their cars can masquerade as versions that would cost thousands more.

"It happens all the time," says Myles Kovacs, president of Dub magazine, which follows car-customization trends. "People want to live outside their means."

Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.

SOURCE:USAToday

The USAToday writer equates an enthusiast with a poseur or with someone with an inferiority complex that wants to flaunt what he does not have. I find such a view insulting for all car enthusiasts.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    While the current E-Class doesn't quite make the grade for this forum, the NEXT generation might surprise all of us. Quick peak here:

2009 E-Class?

Appreciate that! Looks pretty sweet to me! Hope it makes it there. Never been very impressed with Mercedes' sedans style. Looks like a step in the right direction. :)