Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I find body side moulding actually offers very limited protection against door dings from other cars. Simply reason being the the leading edge of the car next to you rarely lines up at the same height as your moulding.
  • Options
    2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    I agree. The body side molding on most cars is not at the right height as the leading edge of the door on other cars. Therefore, it is basically worthless. Every ding I have ever got was much higher on the body then the molding. Therefore, I generally don't like adding the molding, if it is an option.
  • Options
    95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    I agree as well, wife has it on her car. What is the point of getting the molding if it is painted the same as the car. So instead of chipped bad looking doors i have chipped bad looking molding. Just never saw the point
  • Options
    bwassbwass Member Posts: 1
    I have AT&T service. Read a discussion about TDMA vs. GSM is there a difference? Simply stated which phone should I get? Sony/Ericcson T616, Siemens S56, wait for the new Motorola V600 flip phone coming soon? Is anybody currently using one that their happy with? How can we ignore this cool safety feature - we paid for it so let's use it!
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    People are over-reliant on the protection they think a bodyside molding can provide.
    All car and truck doors do not line up correctly to the molding. I have seen many cars with dings both below and above the moldings.
    The body side moldings provide a false sense of security.
    If you REALLY care about not getting any door dings, you need to park away from other cars, avoid compact parking spaces and stop thinking moldings are the answer.

Otherwise, you can try something like an oversized magnetic molding like this and hope it doesn't get stolen.

• Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I think chips on molding is still much better than chips on door. At least if you really want to fix it you are talking about replacing the molding vs. repainting the whole door.....

I do agree that with so many taller SUV/Van/trucks out there the molding on cars can become defenseless. Molding can prevent some but certainly not all. The questions is if that 'some' worth $180 and I guess more importantly to many, does it look good on TL which already has a line on the sides.
  • Options
    ryanl1ryanl1 Member Posts: 55
    Body side moldings protect you from shopping carts and not from the Hummer parked next to you.Of course it depends on the incline of the parking lot and momentum the cart gets after it's released by the smoking,pregnant mom and how fast you can run.
    ps never park at the bottom of an inclined parking lot.
  • Options
    How about door edge trims?, Anyone got it? Not part of PP but cost not much. Wonder if it'd damage the look anyhow like the molding would. This I know can protect door edge chip for sure but for TL it seems that look dominates the thought process!
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "The body side molding on most cars is not at the right height as the leading edge of the door on other cars."

EXACTLY! Just do a little experiment next time you check out the 04 TL: open the rear door and see where the leading edge is relative to the molding. Most cars' rear doors are shaped similarly and will hit the TL just below or at the door handle level!

Door edge trim is not only useless but is ugly and stupid and greatly increases the wind noise. It's not there to protect your car, but the car that you hit with your door.
  • Options
    "Body side moldings protect you from shopping carts and not from the Hummer parked next to you."

Next time you're in a grocery store, put the shopping cart next to your car to see that it will hit WAY WAY above the molding.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The type I used is a thin pliable strip that runs all the way down the edge of the door. It doesn't create wind noise but it does collect dirt or crud. If you use the same colour moulding as the car, it doesn't look that bad. I find it useful for 2 purposes -- protects your door when you accidentally opens it against a wall or something rough and hard, and inside your own garage, it will protect your OTHER car parked next to it.
  • Options
    Does it match not just color but also the level of brightness of door paint? Durabilty is a concern too. Would the adhesive ruin the paint it's protecting? Also, does it run thru the whole trim from top to bottom on the edge?

I know for sure it can protect your own door's edge and yes the other car in your garage. But all these mask/molding/trim.... protective stuff is almost a lose-lose situation. You don't do it, you get more chips/dings... , but if you do you don't get to see the no-chip/ding part anyway! The only win-win is if the stuff can even enhance the look. Tough for TL I gather!
  • Options
    cestancestan Member Posts: 3
    can any bluetooth enabled phone work with the hands free system in the tl or just the ones on the acura web site? i want to buy a phone that is bluetooth enabled but is not on the web site as a compatible phone. the phone is unlocked and i have a sim card for it.
  • Options
    Post the model and we'll tell you if it's compatible.
  • Options
    blerner2blerner2 Member Posts: 47
    I picked up my TL a few hours ago. I had test driven one last night and it drove great.

I noticed on my car, as soon as I got underway, it is riding very rough (almost trucklike). It's almost as if the front suspension is too stiff the car is vibrating as it goes over every bump. Could it be that something was not prepped regarding the front suspension? (I can't imagine so).

As I mentioned, I just had a test drive in another unit last evening. I didn't bother to "test drive" the car I was getting as I made the assumption it would be fine (big mistake!).

Has anyone else noticed this problem with a new unit? Is it just stiff until it breaks in? This is not riding like the car I drove in the test drive.

Lastly, I assumed that since the CD player handles DVD-Audio and DTS, that SACD would be compatible as well. Bought 2 SACD discs from Best Buy on the way home, opened them, only to find they do not play in the vehicle. Now I can't return open CD's to Best Buy.

I'd appreciate some comments from some '04 owners. I'm really bummed right now.
  • Options
    kphkph Member Posts: 40
    Bummer on the SACD disks -- I posted a description of the differences in the formats back in post #5104, which I presume you didn't read.

Still waiting on my TL -- will make sure to test drive it first. The two different test TLs I have driven were both fine.

Let us know what the dealer determines...
  • Options
    uvamarkg1uvamarkg1 Member Posts: 16
    I just took delivery on my 6MT/Navi silver/ebony today. I really like the way the body side moldings look on this car in the lighter colors (like silver). My decision to get the moldings was certainly not based on its ability to prevent dings.

I also added the front, side, and rear under-body kits. Looks really nice. Can we post links to pictures on here? If, so I'll post them if anyone's interested in seeing
  • Options
    Kph,

You seem to be an authority on the subject....I've heard several references in the discussion here about "Hybrid" SCD/SACD.

Does this mean the TL is compatible with some SACD's and not others? If so, how can you tell before you buy.

Or, should I only focus on DVD-Audio and DTS.
  • Options
    kphkph Member Posts: 40
    Hybrid SACDs contain tracks that can be read by a normal CD player -- it is a format that makes the disc backward compatible. However, CD is a stereo format - 2 channel, not 5.1.

So, I would think a hybrid SACD would play in your TL as a normal CD - but you wouldn't be able to access the surround sound encoding.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    SACD and DVD-A are two totally different (and competing) formats. There are some home players that play both but they're very expensive.

I bet your tires are overinflated. They are usually shipped that way and are supposed to be reset by the dealer. Check the label in the door jamb or owner's manual for the correct pressure. Always check the tires when cold.
  • Options
    Are you saying you added the BSM only to enhance your TL's look? Wow, then you got to show us the pic.

The way the TL door shaped it seems that even with a BSM the most outward part of the door, unlike most of other cars, would not be around the BSM but higher on the door. Also, most cars that have BSM out of factory have sheet metal grooved so that the BSM won't not stick out that much on the door, which is not likely for TL. All these don't bode well for BSM on TL, but a picture will be the best judge. Looking forward to seeing yours.
  • Options
    dhsieh9dhsieh9 Member Posts: 44
    At about 29k miles, the vehicle started to exhibit rough engine startup problem when it was warm. The symptom was similar to that of engine cylinder misfiring. This problem was intermittent and hence very difficulty for dealer to reproduce. After a month, the engine and TCS check lights finally came on. A local Acura dealer at Sunnyvale, CA diagnosed it to be faulty EGR valve. The dealer replaced it and the ECU unity under warranty. Unfortunately after the repair, the same problem still persists intermittently albeit that no engine check light comes on. I have expressed my concern about this problem many times to the Service Director of Sunnyvale Acura. However, he insists that without an engine check light or reproduceable symptom there is nothing the dealer can do.

According to my research, I found out that there have been a significant number of complaints reported by 1999 Acura TL & CL owners on problems related to EGR valve. Acura has since extended its warranty on EGR valve for those year-models. I suspect that my problem with TL is related to it. Another soon-to-be problem I have with my 2000 TL is its transmission. When engaging it produces loud annoying metal contacting noise. I first reported my concern on the potential transmission failure to an Acura District Manager in 2000. At that time, the District Manager assured me that the noise was normal. Shortly after, Acura extended its warranty on the 2000 TL transmission to 7 Yers/100k miles. According to my research, Acura has since developed new fix to replace those TLs with failed transmission. Progressively, I can feel that my TL transmission is becoming more and more sluggish with increasingly louder engaging noise each time. This is doom-to-fail transmission is obvious when the transmission fluid is replaced since the transmission drain plug magnet always attracts unusual large amount of debris on it, a indicator that excessive wearing on the transmission.

I wonder if there are other 2000 TL owners also expereince the problems I have?
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    akirby's right. Check the tire pressures. Many automakers overinflate the tires a few pounds for shipping purposes. That's so the tires don't flatten during extended periods when the car is not being moved. Your dealer may have forgotten to inspect tire pressure before you picked up the car. All tires should 32 psi, except the 6 speed which is 35 psi up front and 32 psi on the rear tires. Also, the 6 speed does have a stiffer suspension.

Sorry but your assumption regarding SACDs is your fault and not Acura's. This falls under the category of "This is what happens when I don't read the owner's manual".
  • Options
    But honestly, would you have done it for protection purpose? I mean would the car's door next to yours hit the BSM first when open wide enough to hit your TL's door?
  • Options
    no.. I completely purchased the BSM for appearance purposes. I think it complements the silver color particularly well.
  • Options
    Kahuna,

You are completely correct when you say "your assumption about SACD's is your fault not Acura's".

I completely agree. My first stop after picking up the car was to Best Buy. I made the assumption that SACD's would play. I did not take the time to read the manual, and what's worse, I've read over these discussions thoroughly the last week once I decided on the Acura (must have glossed over the SACD discussion).

Thanks also for the tip about tire pressure. Hopefully it's a simple problem. I'll check the pressure.
  • Options
    Is this your first car purchase ever??? Did you think of checking the tire pressure? The dealership might've simply inflated the tires to 42psi causing the rough ride.
  • Options
    lobito17lobito17 Member Posts: 20
    You and I could be twins. I picked up my TL yesterday and have the exact same problems with vibration. It's not the tire pressure. My tires are perfectly pressurized -- just checked again to make sure. I will be speaking with my dealer. Please let me know how you make out on your end.
  • Options
    flipper6flipper6 Member Posts: 30
    I purchased a silver TL a week ago (six speed with nav). One of the major selling features for me was the interior room. I am six foot five inches tall and I have acceptable head and leg room. I have never had a car with a sun roof because of the head room. The six speed is a blast to drive.

I find if I am in stop and go traffic I turn the stereo off so I can hear the RPM's of the engine when starting in first gear. Although checking the tachometer helps, I would rather be looking at the road.
  • Options
    I thought you got a PP incl. mug guards, but I don't see it on the pics. Would like to see how it looks on your silver but.... Did they not install it yet?
  • Options
    Dunlev,

No, this is certainly not my first car purchase. But I felt it was safe to assume that since Acura bills itself as a Premium brand with superior service, the car would be prepped properly.

I checked the pressure, and while it was a bit high (35), it does not seem to be the source of the problem. It seems to be the tires themselves. I have been reading that others have recently been experiencing the same issues.

• Options
    Ok,

Another "Newbie" question, so feel free to flame me at will.

I am only about 50 pages into the novel that is the owners manual and I do not see this mentioned in the "Quick Reference Guide".

Does the TL have a feature so that when you turn off the ignition, the seat moves back from the wheel. My car does not do this, so I assume it is not an available feature. I remember the G35 having this feature during my test drive.
  • Options
    "I checked the pressure, and while it was a bit high (35), it does not seem to be the source of the problem. It seems to be the tires themselves. I have been reading that others have recently been experiencing the same issues."

Not nearly to the extent that you described. There are couple different types of vibrations that people experience:

(1) Flatspotting vibrations from Bridgstones EL42. These do go away after 5-10 minutes of driving though. I had these and bought new tires.

(2) 50-60mph vibrations that are probably caused by tires in some way. I never had this one, but it doesn't sound like what you described anyway.

Was it 35psi cold or hot?
  • Options
    The splash guards have to come off when you put the a-spec side spoiler on. I'm just going to e-bay the splash guards.

They DID look pretty good on the silver, though. The color contrast looked good
  • Options
    mhewittmhewitt Member Posts: 14
    Audio Revolution.com reports that Universal Music, producer of about 25% of music, currently trends toward issuing 3 SACDS for every DVD-Audio. But it reports many DVD "big" releases in the pipeline. My own research seems to show that this ratio is even higher with Classical music releases--check out the Arkiv's site. Ratio of SACD's to DVD-Audio will probably be determined in next 12-16 months as consumers vote with their wallets as to which format they prefer. Also something called DVD flip disks that might come out in a month or two. Not sure what they might be, but sounds like SACD one side and DVD on the other. Hybrid SACDs are playable on the TL system, but its questionable that the audio improvement is worth the extra cost. But Dark Side of the Moon sounds good.
  • Options
    95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    No the seat does not do that as it does in the auto equipped G35 (manual version does not move back).
  • Options
    dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I'm new to this group( researching a new car for myself ), but on the Nissan Pathifinder board there was a rash of vibration at a particular speed issues not that long back.

One answer ended up being that that tires had to be balanced using a particular tire balancer. I don't have that info handy at the moment but a search of that group should turn up the info.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's the Hunter GSP 9700.
  • Options
    paulg54paulg54 Member Posts: 60
    Or should it say TL and bust. To all those who helped me decide on the TL, color, and so on, thank you.

I drove my Accord V-6 to Atlanta to attend a woodworkers show and drove home a new TL, 6-speed. I finally chose the Desert Mist/Parchment. This car is alive, a technical wonder. It took me longer to drive home the 400 miles because I kept getting off the hwy. to play with all the stuff. This the first car I'll have fun paying for. I think :)
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to buy TL accessories for less?
  • Options
    raherraher Member Posts: 99
    go back and read post # 5138 on page 258 of this topic. Pat ( the host ) provided a great site for factory accessories at lower prices.
  • Options
    moto04moto04 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my new TL a month now and love it except for a couple surprises. The first time I drove over our neighborhood paved road with leftover gravel from recent snowstorm, I was surprised by the noise of debris hitting the under side of the car. Sounds like spraying sand on a very tinny
    under-fenders, or surfaces. I'm wondering (without examining)if there is any undercoating or protective treatment on the 04TL? Maybe it's because the car is very quiet otherwise and it's just more noticeable. My 95 Saab 9000 I traded in was very quiet with NO noise under same conditions.
    2nd dissapointment is the passenger seat does not adjust up or down and is too low for my taste/comfort. My wife, who's a little on the short side says she feels like she's sitting in a hole (compared to the Saab). If these are the only concerns I come up with, I'll be a very happy driver. No vibrations, rattles, etc., everything works perfect, just a fun, beautiful car.
  • Options
  • Options
    The sound you heard is most likely debris hitting the car's heat shields. Heats shields are made of sheet metal and are strategically place underneath the car so that any sources of heat emitting for the exhaust, engine, transmission, etc. are not transferred to the ground. During severe droughts, this feature can prevent grass fires from starting accidently. In fact, heat shields are required by law in California.
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Hey guys this is very simple.

The system in the TL plays DVA-A (audio) and regular CDs...it does NOT play SACD.

SACD hybrids are SACD discs which will play on a regular CD player (or dvd player that plays regular CDs). However, you will not get the benefits of the improved/superior sound of a SACD.

DVD-A "flip disc" are discs which have two formats. On one side is the DVD-A format. On the other side is a regular CD.

SACDs do not work in the TL.
  • Options
    If this has already been mentioned, forgive me. The Bridgestone EL-42 tire has a nylon belt in the tread which causes a vibration until the tires warm up a little. Of course, this will be more of a problem up north when cars "sit" for a greater amount of time because snows keep you from getting out for a day or so and the temps are colder.

When I took the TL out for the first time in Atlanta, it had been sitting since December with only 5 miles on it. It took 4-5 miles to warm things up. They did smooth out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the web-site. I hadn't read all the posts.
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    In other words SACD Hybrids will only play CD quality sound in a TL, just like your putting a regular CD in. So don't waste your money on SACD Hybrid CDs.
  • Options
    cestancestan Member Posts: 3
    is the panasonic x70 compatible with the hands free system in the tl? anyone know? it does have bluetooth but is this all you need or do you also need the hands free protocol? i do not know a lot about this computer stuff.