Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

1169170171172173175»

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I own a 2004 6MT and have driven a 2006. I did not notice a huge difference. It seemed like the 2006 was "detuned" in 1st gear so that, although the torque steer was reduced, so was the immediate responsiveness. But that was only a brief impression from one test drive of the 2006.

While your question on torque steer is valid, I think there is a broader question. Do you intend to drive the car as though it is a "sporty" sedan - or as if it's a full fledged "sports" sedan? The TL 6MT is the former, it is NOT the latter. Torque steer inherent in FWD is not really a fully correctable problem. There may be ways to mitigate it by reducing power when it's detected, but that doesn't change the laws of physics. When the steering wheels are the power wheels they will act like gyroscopes and pull in the direction pointed. Similarly, the 60/40 weight imbalance of FWD is impossible to overcome and is felt in cornering and handling.

If you are really looking to drive your car like it was a 3-series, get a 3 series. If you can live with a "sporty" family sedan, the 2004 or 2005 will probably work as well as the 2006. From my brief test drive, I was not tempted in the least to trade in my 2004.
  • kzeuskikzeuski Member Posts: 1
    Wish I read this earlier. I can not believe that a gas tank gauge reads empty with 3-4 gallons left in it. Almost 20% of capacity is still left. The first thing I would think someone will do is run down the tank so far not knowing where empty is. Like someone already replied. I read the literature in the manual and it says the low fuel light is suppose to come on with one gallon left and a small reserve. Are people really willing to fill there car up more often just to drive an Acura?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    "Are people really willing to fill there car up more often just to drive an Acura?"

Why, yes. Yes I am.

Better an early warning light than an empty tank in the middle of nowhere. To me, an absolute non-issue.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• engrnizengrniz Member Posts: 5
    Recently there were heavy rains in my area and I went with my TL thru a puddle. To my surprise and amazement the TL's engine sucked up water resulting in its locking and seizure. I would like to know if anybody else had similar experience and how do we prevent this from happening. I saw lot of other cars go past by me thru the puddle without any problems at all.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Unless you are the same person this is two with the same problem. Old Mike
    http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77802
  • engrnizengrniz Member Posts: 5
    No, its not the same person.

Thanks for the link. I atleast found another person with same kind of problem and what he is going through. Does not look good.

The insurance company will send an adjuster to look at the car tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to resolve the problem soon.
  • nvsiennabuyernvsiennabuyer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 TL with 77,000 miles. It's been making a similar noise for a short time. The last time it made this kind of noise, the dealership replaced the power steering pump under warranty. I checked the ps pump fluid container this time around and it was full, i.e the pump isn't leaking fuid like before. I took it to the dealership this morning and they said that the ps rack needs to be replaced at a cost of $1300. The car is 8 years old an beyond the extended warranty period that I purchased, os I havet to eat the cost on the repair. Check your ps pump fluid holder - does it have enough fluid? Just a suggestion.
  • oneadahancesoneadahances Member Posts: 2
    Im want to make my 99 TL look like a newer model. Can anyone tell me if the 02-03 headlight assembly and front bumper will mount on my 99 TL?
    Thanks!
  • oneadahancesoneadahances Member Posts: 2
    Hey, anyone who has a 99 tl write back if u have questions or answers.
    Thanks!
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    HELP!!! My Acura Tl needed a transmission replaced due to a recall, at 34k miles, but thats okay, because I got it for free. But at 49k miles, I needed ANOTHER transmission, so I replaced it, still under warranty. Now, I am out of warranty, and I needed ANOTHER transmission replacement at 78k!!!! Whats going on ACURA!! Even my Camry, which is at 117k miles, did not even replace it transmission at all, and is running like nearly new. Now I am trying to sell my Acura , with the ruined transmission, and the people are offering me less than $500. No way!! I bought this car new for $37,900. And at 78k miles, this should sell for about $17-18K ! Whats going on with Acura!! Acura betrayed me!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • benkinchenbenkinchen Member Posts: 1
    Depending upon the year of your Acura, the transmission has an extended warranty to 100k. I have a 2002 Acura TL Type S with 149k miles on it and my 3rd tranny, all paid for by Acura. 1st replacement (2nd tranny) at 49,999, 2nd replacement (3rd tranny) at 94k. Go to the NHTSA.GOV (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/) and pull any/all info for your year Acura.
  • jsully86jsully86 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 Acura TL and have come to the conclusion that the factory radio does NOT like burned CD's. Not too sure if it's just my radio, or if anyone else has this issue. Sometimes it will play ones. And other times (which is mostly all the time) it will just spit the CD right back out. Which then leads me to my main question -- Is it possible to switch out the factory radio with a newer radio on your own? Or is it something your better off taking to the dealership? My husband is just concern because of the security code and such. Thanks a bunch!
  • cg006cg006 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking on getting a used acura as my first car. It is recommended first time drivers get a hooptie but i want a decent car. I was strongly looking at an 03 accord but one of my friend is persuading me to get an 04 acura TL. I was doing a comparison of features and i can see why they would recommend the Acura TL and considering i can get it for about 3k more than the accord. (accords ex range around 11-13 with about 70k miles and sometimes less)

I have been reading around and ive seen some acuras TL 2004 in between 14-15k with about 70000 miles or so. (note i am strictly just looking at prices online and i am not putting into consideration haggling the prices. )What do you guys think?

Should i jump the gun and get the TL? I really dont wanna get a cheaper car to then be going crazy a year from now trying to get rid of it. I am willing to spend the extra few k for it,
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The '03 Accord (V6?) would not be a bad car, especially for a new driver. But, if you can afford the extra $3K, the '04 TL would be a much more satisfying car to own and drive.
  • 22332233 Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2000 TL, automatic, 119 k miles. Original tranny.

About 2 times per week, the car starts very hard and shakes violently. Acura changed the battery and cleaned the EGR ports. The problem continued but instead of twice per week, it is doing it about twice per month.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution?

Thanks
  • myturn4myturn4 Member Posts: 3
    I have an automatic 2000 TL with 68,000 miles. Going from 0 to 20 miles an hour sometimes the car stutters. Not the transmission ???? Right.
  • jthembajthemba Member Posts: 8
    Could be the transmission or even the engine mounts...feels like the transmission stutters, but it's really the mounts.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I can't comment on the price, but wanted to reply that I have a 2004 TL and absolutely love the car. Still think it looks fantastic and the drive is a great balance between sporty handling/accelleration and comfort.

Just a few comments, though:
    1. if you're getting an automatic, look back at the message boards for 2004 TLs - some people complained about something like the car shifting from 3rd to 4th prematurely, making the car vibrate improperly. Find out whatever the problem was and test-drive for it.

2. Also, if you really want a family-sedan sportscar, you need to go with a RWD or AWD car.

3. if you're getting an automatic, look at whether it comes with a nav system - that was the only option back then. The nav system is really nice and they coordinate voice recognition with the a/c and radio, too.

Hope this helps!
  • mdcatdadmdcatdad Member Posts: 14
    This is true of my 08 TL, too. I can't agree with the "better safe than sorry, don't worry about it".

For one thing, there coud be an air bubble in the tank (doesn't seem likely in my case as it's only got 2500 miles on it and I've notice this false reading twice now). I'd like to be able to stop at the gas station less often (not easy given the TL's so-so mileage) with confidence
  • kbeckskbecks Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2001 TL with 130k miles and have transmission problems. Should we expect any type of support from Honda/Acura or are we stuck? Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's very possible. You can do search in this discussion (the box is on the gray bar) for "transmission warranty" without the quotes and find lots of information.

Here's one recent post: benkinchen, "Older Acura TLs" #9025, 29 Dec 2007 11:57 am. Your TL is of the same generation, so this should apply to you as well.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Actually, Acura is extending warranties on some MDX's with the infamous bad tranny. You might want to contact an Acura service center and inquire.
  • trane62trane62 Member Posts: 1
    ">I have a 2002 TL that I have been working on for over a year now. She has about 80k on her plus a supercharge and all new exhaust system. I worked on the suspension and body as well. Transmission is new also. The whole sound system has been changed. Alpine 4 channel amps and a mono block plus all new speakers and DVD system have been installed. I really don't want to part with her but need to know as soon as possible how much she is worth since the economy is plunging downhill. As a co-acura fanatic I hope to recieve some good tips from you guys. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try asking in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to provide ALL of the highlighted information listed over the post box.

Good luck!
  • shannon115shannon115 Member Posts: 1
    Hello..
    Im wondering if anyone can assist me..
    I figured this would be the best place to ask..

My boyfriend has an '04 TL, she's beautiful.. regardless, his birthday is next
    month- Ive asked him what he wants..he says he wants a car cover for the Acura.
    I have no idea where to look, how much they are.. nothing..
    Can anyone give me some advice???
    Thanks so much..
    GRLFROMCT
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Try hondacuraworld.com. I have ordered several items from there with no problems. Looks like they have a genuine Acura TL cover for $205.
  • mooleymooley Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying a 2000 TL but all the talk about the bad transmissions really turns me off of them. Should i be concerned with this or is it not as bad as it seems. Or is it really just hit and miss.
    Also do you have to run the high oct. gas in them?

Thanks
  • myturn4myturn4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 TL purchased Feb. 2007. I now just replaced the transmission. Thought it was slipping around Dec 2007. If I KNEW about the transmission problems I WOULD NOT have bought the car. Now I just hope this one doesn't go up before I can get rid of it. Otherwise a nice car. Why buy a car when you know about the transmission recall on that year and model ?
  • srvivor87srvivor87 Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the process of buying a 01' 3.2TL with Nav System but I have a few questions..

1.Is the system easy to use? will the updated Acura DVD disks work with this older system and if so will I have to upgrade the software system also?

2. Or should I just put in an aftermarket type?

Thanks.
  • tomsharetomshare Member Posts: 6
    :sick: 6-CD standard player for Acura TL 2002 was skipping and is now jammed up. What are my options? Recently bought this standard Acura TL model with with 95K miles and standard audio system. Otherwise car is in excellent condition.
  • dwdraw2dwdraw2 Member Posts: 6
    I currently own a Acura 1999 3.2 TL, which I bought new in "99". I currently have 99430 miles on it. I replaced the transmission about three weeks ago, and last week, I had a fuel injector go bad so I got that fixed along with getting the tune-up package of $1300. I was early on the tune-up schedule, but I thought I would get that done for preventative measures. When I left the garage that very same day, I notice a small inconsistent sputter-very mild. To notice it, you would have to be parked. Sometimes it would be noticeable and others very mild. There is no engine check light on. I have never had this before in this car. Does this mean that I have another fuel injector going bad, but this time no engine light showing, or is it something to do with the tune-up they gave me.

I have never driven this car hard at anytime time. My mileage is low considering the years. I have never replaced the headlights yet-not much night driving. I have done the required maintenance-the car looks virtually new inside and out.