Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    No the door panels don't need to be removed. All pins except for the driver's door came out pretty easy. The stock pin does have a bulge on the bottom of the pin which makes it a little tricky. The plastic surround of the pins can come out with the pin and will just push back in. The driver's door is a little harder the piece with the "security" light will also come out. And they do just unscrew.
  • Options
    I know from past experience that I can't list a url to the site. Been scolded by the moderators for that.

Dave
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Go ahead and post it. I'm sure it will be helpful to the community. :)
  • Options
    OK Here goes, this is a direct link to the aluminum door pins:

http://www.v6performance.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=77&osCsid=3b15ef- 6a753ac64e55d9053f327e5a46

The person there will tell you which ones to order, depending on whether you want the stock length or shorter.

Dave
  • Options
    I'll repeat it here:

A new discussion has been created to talk about TL Tires. Some recent posts have been moved there.

P.S. If you haven't already, go to the Acura TL group and click on Track this Group (on the right just over the discussion list) so you don't miss any other new TL discussions!
  • Options
    crmanncrmann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 TL. I drive alone in mostly suburban traffic -- not slow rush hour, but not highway. After 2000 miles, I have 14 MPG and less than 200 miles per tankful. Anyone else having this type of experience? Did I get some kind of lemon?
  • Options
    I've got about 3500 miles on mine. In straight city driving I'm getting 18 mpg, on the hiway on a trip I've managed 32 mpg at about 70-75 mph. Both reading are with the air conditioning on.

Dave
  • Options
    Best place to find out if others are experiencing that is the Acura TL: MPG-Real World Numbers. Check it out.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have a 2004 TL 6-speed with 22,000 miles. I average 15-17 in the "suburban" traffic you describe and generally get 28-30 on a pure highway run at 70+/- mph. But I really have to run the car for long highway stretches to get remotely close to that highway number. Any "mixed" driving brings the overall mileage down quickly.

IMO, the TL (mine was EPA rated at 20/30) is a poor performer when it comes to gas mileage. My 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed (rated at 22/27) consistently got 22-24 mpg under the same suburban driving conditions that the TL gets 16-17. Thats a whopping 30% more for a car that is less powerful on paper, but damn near as quick in reality. My S2000 (rated at 20/26) also got 21-23 under suburban driving conditions and over 30 on the highway. TL capable of at least 21-22. Even my 911S (rated 18/25) manages to match the TL around town and on a 360 mile recent road trip got 27.4 mpg at 76 mph.

I'm not planning on trading my TL for a Prius, but it's not exactly the best bang for the gallon, compared to my other/former cars.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Tracking the TL Group doesn't just let you know about new discussion groups, but it automatically has you track every TL discussion. Then you have to individually delete the tracks you don't want. Beware...
  • Options
    Um, that's the point of tracking the group. If you don't want to, obviously you don't have to, but you won't know what TL discussions you're missing if you don't.

It's easy enough to just click "read new posts" to move on if you land in a TL discussion you truly find uninteresting.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That's about what I get for urban driving. :cry: I used to get about 3 - 4 mpg more when I lived in the suburbs.
  • Options
    definately, that 32 mpg I'm getting on the highway is a straight highway trip, no city at all. mixed driving I'm probably between 20-24 mpg, that's will some highway. Last w/e I drove from central nj to doylestown, pa., the road has a lot of lights, got 24 mpg.

Dave
  • Options
    boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    I'm hoping that Acura will consider putting a nice hybrid in their selection. I think they are learning that hybrids have to get 40mpg for them to sell well based on their poor sales of the Accord. I applaud them for trying to keep HP high but for people to feel good about their hybrid and to get the HOV sticker they have to get 40mpg. I'd like a full featured car but I also want to feel good about reducing dependence on the middle east. Hopefully using the latest technology and what they've learned from their other hybrid attempts Honda/Acura will have something nice available soon. If Toyota can make an 85+ MPG plug in Prius using new battery technology, I would imagine Honda could make a 40 MPG Acura with about twice the power.
  • Options
    2007 Acura TL-S - some recent posts have been moved there.
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    does the tl remember seat and mirror settings from the key fob?
    how about radio station and temperature preset?
  • Options
    Seat and mirror settings - yes, for sure.

Radio station and temp preset - not sure.
  • Options
    mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    yes...radio presets and temp settings are remembered
  • Options
    06tl06tl Member Posts: 4
    did you buy it? you should have if it was real. I bought mine for an even 30k w?out nav. Has anyone done better than this?
    thx
  • Options
    blacknwhite143blacknwhite143 Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to get a 2004 TL with Navigation (a VERY nice one I may add) for 27,711. it's got about 22,000 miles on it, but it's in very nice condition, and it's got all the bells and whistles it should. Older model cars (within 2 years or less) usually look the same. But yeah, I'm getting a pretty good deal on mine.
  • Options
    07types07types Member Posts: 7
    :D Hey guys. New to the forum here. I just picked up my 07 S last night. You just about need a class to work all the voice commands. The sports suspension actually rides good but it a little harsh when hitting a rough spot in the road (which I try to avoid anyway). Anyone else with this car with good or bad experiences? Just traded in my 06 TSX ... we'll see if it was the right move.
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Congrats on your new ride :shades:
  • Options
    Wow, the TSX didn't last long in your garage! Hope you didn't have to take a bath financially on the trade!
  • Options
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace! Check out the discussion at this link: 2007 Acura TL Type S.
  • Options
    tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I still have one (04-tl) and it's the worst new car i've ever had. Can't wait to pay it off and get rid of it.

I've had many other Honda products that we great but my Acura has been very poor!
  • Options
    07types07types Member Posts: 7
    I had 6000 miles on the TSX and got $24500 for it - got the TL/S for $36K out the door - with mat in trunk and wheel locks. ???? Best I could do. He wasn't happy but I refused to give the TSX away. Ofcourse I only paid $26500 for it new. This dealership is pretty big and sells alot so I guess thats why I got (what I think) was a decent deal. Still, borrowing $12500 hurts like a (^*% :sick:
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that about your 04 tl. I have heard others say they had trouble with 04's and believe it's because it's the first year of the 3rd generation. :cry:
  • Options
    tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I think your right...

I had the opportunity to drive a 06 TL and it was a different and more refined car.

It did not rattle or vibrate...
  • Options
    Same with my 05, I have had the car 18 months and it has no vibration, rattles or squeeks.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    I'm on my second rattle/buzz on my '05 TL. First was sunroof wind deflector. Dealer said they fixed at first service, they didn't. At second service, replaced deflector, problem solved (Only occurred when sun roof was in "vent" position, so only a minor annoyance).

Second rattle/buzz is the driver's sun visor. When in the normal "closed" position, occasionally buzzes. Dealer said they fixed at a service last week. They didn't. Buzzes less, but when it does it's worse...

Other than that, just a lovely car. No squeeks or vibrations that I'm aware of after 2+ years and 25,000+ miles. Tires still stink in the snow, not that Boston has had any snow this year... :confuse:

And that Zaino shine... :D

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Guess it makes sense that there are more problems with '04s than '05s or '06s. I, myself, have had no problems with my '04 (knock on plood!!! :)

I love the tight handling, even if it is a bit rough on poor pavement.

If that is your main issue, do some research when it's time for new tires. At 1 point I thought my TL was too jarring to handle - turns out my tires were worn out and I didn't realize it. I switched to sport tires that were more comfortable than the originals and its been great!!!

No dash fade or squeaks for me! (again, knowck on plood! :D )
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your rattles, not peep out of my 05 :shades:

LOL, everyone loves that Zaino shine :D

You have the Abyss Blue right laurasdada? Have you seen the new kenitic blue? How is it different than your car's color?
  • Options
    My only gripe against my TL ('04) is that it's always a nail-biter waiting to see where the next rattle/squeak/buzz will occur. Right now, it's the glove box door and the storage door right under the HVAC/nav display. Over the last 3 years, it's been random and miscellaneous rattle/squeak/buzz from driver's window, sunshade, moonroof shade, passenger seat, headrests, and the aforementioned glove box and storage doors. :mad: :cry: Some have been minor and tolerable, some I have "fixed". By far the glove box door is the most severe. If it persists, it may be sufficient to shorten my ownership of this otherwise fine automobile. :sick:

I even briefly considered trading it for the '07 Type S, but it seems kinda silly to go for something so similar. Now, the '07 Infiniti G35x, fully-loaded and with that nifty intelligent key, and not much $$ more than the Type S, may be worth considering.... :shades:
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    the '07 Infiniti G35x, fully-loaded and with that nifty intelligent key, and not much $$ more than the Type S, may be worth considering....

I checked out an 07 G35 the other day. It's a tight fit. My left knee hits the door. Not in my 06 TL.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not a big guy, by any means, so it may fit me ok. I'm just not sold entirely on the styling, especially the hood/fender configuration, even though overall it's much improved over the '06. Styling-wise, the TL still blows the G away. :P
  • Options
    I did have the dash fade, too. Dealer did spiff up at service, but it could use some touching up...

What tires did you switch to? I semi-anxiously await the demise of the EL42s as they are so poor in the snow. We've had no snow in Boston so far, which is good as I don't have to spend the $$$ on new Continentals? Michelins? Brigestones? Yet, that is...

Hi, Nick. No, I haven't seen the new colors yet. Is the Kinetic Blue a darker/lighter than the Abyss?

And, I agree. While I like the (mild) freshening of the G35 exterior, the TL remains much prettier. In a masculine, aggressive, macho way, of course! ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Yes, very masculine and macho. Has a hunkered down look to it. :shades: The new G, if you squint, and from certain angles, has a Jag e-type theme to it, which I suppose, can be considered attractive, in a more feminine way.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I've seen the KPB on the dealer lot and it is lighter than the ABP.
  • Options
    That's what I expected about the KPB, a lighter blue. Any darker it would be black. The ABP however, is very nice.
  • Options
    I actually preferred the Infiniti version of this blue, it appears to me a little darker, richer blue. I like my Abyss Blue, but I perceive just a touch of purple in it.

• Options
    Abyss blue is mighty dark. I will have to check out the Infiniti blue. I have had maroon or blue cars all my life, so I got a silver tl, so i didn't to wash it so much. :P
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My favorite TL color was the green with the saddle interior! It made me melt like ice cream in the sun. Now the "Redondo" Red, "Nighthawk" Black, and whatever the gold is called (Dessert Mist?) all look good with Black interiors.

Personally, I think Acura/honda should offer more interior colors. A nice coffee brown/chocolate like the 07 MDX, red like Bmws, or even a mixture of colors like Mercury's Primer models with the Black and Silver.

Just my $0.02
    -Cj :)
  • Options
    stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Any regrets for those who purchased an ebony interior?
  • Options
    What tires did you switch to? I semi-anxiously await the demise of the EL42s as they are so poor in the snow.

I live in Fla, so I went with summer tires. Eagle F1. I think they're great - comfortable with excellent traction, particualrly in wet weather, but unless you're gonna switch to snow tires once fall sets in, you'll want to stay away. They're not rated for snow.
  • Options
    :cry: My favorite TL color was the green with the saddle interior! It made me melt like ice cream in the sun. Now the "Redondo" Red, "Nighthawk" Black, and whatever the gold is called (Dessert Mist?) all look good with Beige interiors.

Personally, I think Acura/honda should offer more interior colors. A nice coffee brown/chocolate like the 07 MDX, red like Bmws, or even a mixture of colors like Mercury's Primer models with the Black and Silver.

Just my $0.02
    -Cj :shades:
  • Options
    sevosevo Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of buying a 2000 TL. The owner says it has premium wheels, but they look like the standard alloy wheels to me. Can anyone tell/show me the diffence? Thanks.
  • Options
    1st of all, Dont think of the Type-s and base models

Ok heres the question:
    Would you rather sacrifice the Tl's sporitiness for comfort? To make the TL more ES350 like? It would still have the power but it would be extremely soft and cushiony. Why or Why not?

I like the tl but I just want some opions and to liven this room up a bit.

-Cj
  • Options
    If I don't think of the Type-S or the base models, then what's left? :P

I would not sacrifice any of the TLs sportiness for comfort, but would sacrifice some of the TLs comfort or luxury features in exchange for a RWD platform. I don't need more HP, I probably wouldn't want any tighter handling or firmer ride (I have a 6MT with summer tires that gives it a little firmer tuning than the automatics), but I really wish it had a RWD platform.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Would you rather sacrifice the Tl's sporitiness for comfort?"

Absolutely not.

"To make the TL more ES350 like?"

The ES is a boulevard cruiser. An extremely nice cruiser that provides a great value at its price point.

I agree with taxesquire- make the TL RWD!
  • Options
    "...make the TL RWD!"

With an AWD option!!