Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    Michael, keep them on their toes. You are right on the mark. We will have to speak with with our wallets, as some have already done.
    bmwseller's (aka woody) prior comments regarding the new new 5 series have also offended me at times. I know you are probably sincere and passionate about the new 5er Woody, but to some of us, it really feels like the kids story, "The Empereor has new Clothes". You know the one were the tailor gives the emperor invisible clothes and all the people are told he has clothes on, until one little boy has the nerve to say " where is his clothes?". We are not just hearing this from you, but from BMW directly. They seem to be TELLING us what WE SHOULD like. It comes off as, "don't you little people really know what is good for you and what TRUE styling is all about?" Give me a break. I think enough people with experience on this forum know when they see a stinker, and Chris Bangle may bend this company into a spin they will not recover from. Their true German stubbornness is really showing through on this. And for crying out loud, can they get the cup holder thing worked out? Even "chinsy" cars can do this little thing. Oh, that's right, we can buy after market cup holders, because after all we should not be drinking whilst we drive! But it is ok for the Europeans to smoke their asses off whilst they drive, right? They seem to have enough freakin' ash trays.
  • Options
    billbrox1billbrox1 Member Posts: 6
    I'll not get into this debate as passionately as some of our trusted writers, but I will say, without a doubt, that I purchased my 530i back in March with a bit more urgency when I saw the new design for '04. There was something about "it" that chased me away from "it".

I haven't seen the '04, but after reading all of the latest exerpts, I can drive my '03 with a bigger smile on my face.
  • Options
    bmwmrcbmwmrc Member Posts: 66
    great post.
  • Options
    mtjohnmtjohn Member Posts: 34
    brianatcal-
    Congratulations on your new 5!
    Tons of info in this years-long discussion on the 5 Series sport package. I recommend doing a search at the top of the page. My opinion is that the 5 series is a fantastic car either way (spend some time reading the 1000's of great comments--this car is truly well-loved) but I bought a Bimmer because it leans toward "sport" vs. luxury. The sport package really finishes this concept for me. The tires and suspension transmit more road information (not harsh though) and I like that. It is amazing how hard you can push a heavy sedan like the 5 into tight corners and the car just sticks with very little roll. And you can't help but grin in the big sweepers at speed. I use my '01 530ia as a daily commuter and a lot of the time the sport pack is only marginally noticeable, but the 10% of the time when I can really push the car it becomes a major and exhilarating part of my driving experience. You pay more for tires and replace them more frequently but it's OK with me. I am sure that there are many aftermarket options to get you where you want to be.

Re: 2004 redesign
    Really glad I have my E39. Checked out the new one this weekend. Just doesn't do it for me inside or out. Great analogy above to human physical attraction--chemistry is everything.
    -John
  • Options
    brianatcalbrianatcal Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your advice and thoughts on the Sports Package. I'm very happy with the standard suspension so far (I'm still in the break-in period so I haven't pushed the car hard yet... need another week or so).

I got the 2003 because I do not like the '04 styling at all. I agree with many posts here.

-Brian
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    IMO, Bangle should be transported to Mars along with those probes, but don't forget he's American after all. This much for "German stubbornness"...

As long as I had only seen the car in mags or passing by on the Autobahn, I was just happy to have been able to find an excellent CPO ('99 528iT) before they turned into collector's items. Especially the "Subaru treatment" of its tail lights doesn't sit well with this design. On a happier note, the 5er isn't anywhere as hideous as the Z4, let's all be greatful for that.

Yesterday I had the dealer look at my E39's a/c system, as it simply refused to work twice within eight weeks. After a master reset (neg. battery cable), everything is back to normal, but they still went ahead and replaced the control unit anyway (known glitch). While they combed the car's memory for fault codes, the wife and I took a new 530i (w/$3,300 Sports Package incl. adaptive roll stabilization) for a spin.

The salesman insisted that he'd ride with us for two minutes first to show us a few things. So he approches an on-ramp at waaay too high a speed and turns in. The car reacts, turns, and carves the bend as it were on rails. No leaning. No wobbling. No plow. Wow! After we had dropped him back off at the dealership, I tried that myself a few times, and I am telling you: the possible speeds are downright ridculous, while handling is never in question. Sure, the car sits on huge 245/40-18 rubber, which improves handling and hurts comfort - but that's a trade-off I could live with!

Bottom line is that the design is still polarizing, worse from the back than from the front, but we all know that beauty is only skin deep. Its dash looks (and feels) cheap, as does (the almost vertical) door handle's plasticky haptics. You will get used to iDrive, as I did during my test drive - you just have to make peace with its presence! News flash: it will not go away! The current S-Class' dash sports about 40 switches, therefore BMW is only taking the heat for their next gen access control that we will see in lots of other cars soon. AUDI has already perfected it (more intuitive), and Benz will have to catch up eventually.

The only thing that really bothered me is the extremely elevated belt line. A Bimmer's design used to be fragile, yet powerful, and never flashy. Well, the latter has changed (as all except Bangle will admit), but the vast mass of sheetmetal in the side line is something I have only noticed with disgust on some AUDI models, predominantly the last-generation A4 (particularly the Cabrio version). When inside the 5er, the "airyness" is gone, all of a sudden, you look at the world from a tank now, too.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I agree with Tarik; the E60 is a superb driving machine but it's saddled with styling that can only be described as derivative at best-Pontiac nose, Kia tail, and Camry door and rocker contours. Attention BMWAG: It's NOT a good design if if you have to drag your wunderkind Chris to every press intro in order to explain it to everyone. Inside, the interior lacks the wrap-around cockpit design which has been a BMW hallmark since the introduction of the E12 back in 1972. The flat featureless dash now appears more Buick than Bimmer, especially since Munich has eliminated the water temperature gauge(although I must admit that it's no great loss; since the introduction of the E34 the buffered gauges have been nothing but glorified warning lights anyway). It's sad to say, but it seems that the styling of the X3 and X5 contain more BMW DNA than do the E60 and E65/66 combined. After twenty continuous years of BMW ownership I'm not about to give up on my favorite marque, but you can bet that I'll hold on to my 3er and 5er until the BMW Board of Directors realizes that Bangle is driving the company into the ditch. Call me paranoid, but I'm convinced that Bangle is secretly working for either Audi or Daimler-Chrysler.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm now in a position to upgrade my aging but still reliable Maxima to a 5-series and, from the sounds of it, BMW has morphed the nearly perfect 5 series into a visual nightmare. I am almost afraid to go to my BMW dealer to see it for myself.

So what do you all recommend for someone who wants a mid size sedan with BMW handling and a manual transmission? Maybe I should go on a diet and squeeze into a 330i performance package 6-speed? Nothing by Mercedes or Audi is on my list, except if I want to go ultra practical with the E320 CDI coming out next spring. No manual, but a 7-speed auto and 35+ mpg help.

I wonder how many more miles/years I can squeeze out of the Maxima.
  • Options
    ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    As a proud owner of an '03 5 series (and an '03 Audi A4) I'm troubled by the trend to all the electronics that is not user friendly and/or user maintainable. What happened to just getting in the car and enjoying the drive? I don't want a computer to run in the car, I have to use one every day at work! The next question is; does it make the drive more enjoyable? I seem to remember my '74 2002 tii with the sun roof open cruising up PCH and enjoying the sights/sounds. If it broke I could fix it. I realize we can't ever go backwards but wouldn't it be nice to just have a vehicle that is "the ultimate driving machine" and not all this techno glitz that goes along with it. I'm probably in the minority with this thinking but lately I wonder what I'll be buying after these 2 vehicles. I'd be curious if I'm the in vast minority. Thanks
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "Maybe I should go on a diet and squeeze into a 330i performance package 6-speed?"

My biggest problem with E39 is driver's legroom. I always found it curious, but the 03 3 series has more legroom. Of course, the back seat is another story. This should be a glory year for the 3 and pricing next summer... that is, if BMW doesn't wake up.
  • Options
    ajayme, I agree, the add-ons are low-tech baubles. But this stuff comes with the luxury car. The question is if BMW outdid themselves this time. IMO yes, they've become the court jester of the luxury car market and will be in the pillory soon enough.
  • Options
    dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    First off - let me say that I absolutely love my Black/Black 02 530 - Sport, Premium/CWP. Bought it in May w/9k miles on it and now have 20K on it. Yes - I drive a lot. Did I say I love this car? A little buyers remorse because 4 weeks after I bought the car BMW Rebates came out, but hey I was to late and I really wanted CPO anyway.

So last night I parked the car in my garage with the gas light on, showing 30 miles till empty. This morning, with the gas light still on I drove my car 2 miles for a 25 minute meeting. When I returned to the car - after driving about 1 mile -I noticed the mileage indicator said 150 miles till empty and I had about 1/3 of a tank of gas.........

No - no one took the car and dropped some gas in it while I was in the meeting. Computer glitch or what?
  • Options
    sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Just saw the new 5's at the dealer recently, but haven't driven one yet. I guess the exterior styling could be termed "controversial", a little slab-sided to my eye, but I think pretty good, and definitely looks up-to-date (for better or worse), given the general styling trends in the industry.

But Habitat, for you, there really is no other car, if you're looking for a stick (and a 6-speed to boot). In a way, I've always looked at each of my 2 BMW's ('91 525, '02 530, both stick) as a particular >chassis/engine/transmission< combination, apart from secondary styling issues. And in this respect, I just don't think anything else stacks up (with the exception of an MB E320, IF you can accept a slushbox, which is a 5-speed and not the new BMW 6-speed.) And that really is the bottom line, so suck it up on the styling and I-drive, and you'll end up with the best piece of rolling stock for your tastes.
  • Options
    Part of the problematic legroom situation (and it also affects the passsenger) are the unnecessarily thick knee bolsters for the US-version of the E39. There is a clever writeup on swapping out the "grotesquely bloated" bottom dash panels, but be prepared to tear the interior down to the max...

Just an example, here you see the difference between the US glovebox door, and the global version:

This difference cost you dearly in the already tight cave of the 5er - it's definitely worth the job, if you prefer to keep an E39 over getting the Bangle-ized "visual litter".
  • Options
    hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    to tarik... the German stubbornness I was referring to was not Bangle's per se (I knew he was American), but the chair of BMW who was in an article this summer saying Bangle is here to say...blah, blah, blah. I can hear him cheering now..."Chris, Chris he's our man, if can't do it, then .... you people really don't what good styling is!"

I too, was encouraged to get my '03 530 when I saw the photos of the new E60's. The incentive was the kicker! I was looking at the 3ers at first, then the incentives and E60 photos convinced me to jump on one now. With the price increase on the E60 and incentive on the E39's, it is a $7K to $10K difference!
  • Options
    nkwazi2nkwazi2 Member Posts: 17
    Visited a local dealer to see the new 04 5 series.
    As I had expected (after seeing the photos), the car design sucks!
    Rear: Acceptable
    Side: O.K.
    Front: Yikes!
    Interior: Ugly. Looks cheap. My 03 5 seires has high quality wood interior. The 04 interior is sad.

The 2004 is adefinitely advanced (or step int he right direction) as far as technology is concerned. But as far as the way it looks, I think BMW has mde a mistake.
    My $.02.

I am very glad that I bought a 03 525i.
  • Options
    Thanks for the interesting piece of information and reference. However, my specific problem is with the pedals... too much flexion in the knee and foot. Seems as if the pedals are set too close since there is enough foot room in the well. If the seat could move back another two inches this would do the trick. No problem with the 3 series and E60.
  • Options
    hoopsref, $7k to $10k difference??? Geez, go get a used Mini, too! And re the notion of BMW having found ultimate design wisdom in Bangle, good luck. They'll need it. Badly...

designman, how tall are you? I am 5'11" and cannot complain about the seat adjustment range or head room. Being almost bald does have its merits (besides women being unrescuably attracted by it...)

Feeling very sure of himself today Tarik
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nice to see you back again, tarik. :)
  • Options
    billbrox1billbrox1 Member Posts: 6
    Does it get any better? Yanks 4 Sox 2
  • Options
    Actually, the E320 CDI I might consider waiting for won't be out until next spring. I don't know the exact specs, but I've been told by a reliable source that it is capable of 0-60 in the 6.5 range (comparable to a 530i manual transmission) and is rated 5+/- mpg higher than the former 1998/1999 E300 Turbodiesel. I believe it will employ Mercedes new 7-speed automatic.

I'm not a big fan of the E-class, given diminishing reliability and problems of late. However, it appears that the old turbodiesels were better than the gas versions.

Clearly the former 5-series was a great car 7+ years after it's introduction. Why the new one couldn't be an evolution rather than a revolution looks wise is a puzzling question. Guess BMW never heard the rule "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". I can forego some aesthetic preferences in exchange for driving dynamics and performance, as long as it's not a decrease in fit and finish quality. So I guess the next step is to have a shot of something and go to the dealer.
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Sox 9 Yanks 6
  • Options
    The E320CDI's specs are available on MB's UK site, you can click here for performance information. The claim for the 0-62.5 mph (equals the usual Euro measure of 0-100kph) is 7.7 seconds, therefore the 0-60 time should be in the low 7s. To expect its acceleration performance to be on par with a brand new 530 is a bit much, I think.

Unfortunately, the new 7 speed a/t will only be only be offered in conjunction with the 430 and 500 model V8s at this point.
  • Options
    Habitat, I understand your reservations about an E320, but I do think it is among the best sedans in this category. How about a little report if you drive a 530, everything I've heard is that driving dynamics are everything we've come to expect. I'd possibly consider one in a year or two, would wait for an upgrade of the 6-cyl. from the one that's in my car, plus I just don't drive too much any more (living by the train schedule for the job), so my '02's got very low mileage. Don't know how wedded you are to a stick, but I think I'd drive an E320, too, before plunking down $50k--what the heck, it's free.
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Went in to see and test drive the 530i and it does drive like my E39 (2001) but the interior is nothing like mine, it looks like they cut corners to give you a new exterior. I ,too, will wait at least one year before I make the plunge. Hope the next year refines the look.The new one is about $4 grand more than my '01. Makes other makes more interesting. I am so happy that I have been able to enjoy this car for three years now. I know that if I decide to keep it it could last for a very long time. I just have 15,300 miles now.
  • Options
    pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    All this talk about the 04 5's is making me think ahead. My 3-yr lease is up 12/04 on my 2002 530i. The residual was 62%. Based on the MSRP, I could buy my car back for under $29K when the lease is up. Does anyone know how accurate the lease rates are on BMW's? For example, as 3-yr leases expire on the 2001 5-series (purchased Sept-Oct, 2000) is the blue book on the car above or below the projected residual values from 3 years ago? I checked Edmunds TMV and also Kelly Blue Book, and it seems that if the residual was 62% on a 2001 (I am guessing), then if the lease was up today, it could be bought back for less than the TMV or KBB numbers. Am I right? If so, at what price differencial does it pay to buy back the car and either keep it or sell it privately? I am asking the question here and not on the Edmunds leasing thread because I am hoping to get BMW owners' comments.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Due to the fact that the E-60 is out my guess is that the residual value of the E-39 will be greater than the actual value. Turn the car in and that is BMW's loss - not yours (unless you are way under miles). If you want to buy the car though, you may be able to negotiate a lower cost than the residual.

On the other hand, if the E-60 falls flat and starts getting discounted (like the 7 series did in its first year) there may be plenty of buyers for CPO-able E-39's. Still, expecting to make a profit by re-selling a car you buy at 62% resid is a long shot.

HiC
  • Options
    Usually a lease buy-option price must be sufficiently below market to compensate for the your trouble to sell privately, or to forego other purchase options you may have. I would be somewhat leery of BlueBook, Edmunds, etc., I think they're optimistic, study ads in your area for pricing info.

In your case, I believe the big discounts they offered on '03 5's may make your purchase option price ABOVE market. You, of course, know if the car was pampered or flogged, and thus worth more or less than average, but I'd use the $4k discounts that were offered as a bargaining chip to get a reduced purchase price if you decide to keep your car. After all, everyone of us with an E39 lost $$ when they offered those discounts.
  • Options
    bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    E39's did not take big depreciation hit because of late model dealer incentives. The used car prices on these models are HIGH, very high. I've already mentioned this I know, but the fact remains that auction prices on these have been going UP all year. It's a testament to how great of car it is.

In example given by PEN101 saying he'll be able to buy his car out for under 29 g's: I challenge anyone to find an '01 530 with good mileage on it for that money. If that deal is out there, it's a heckuva a bargain.
  • Options
    In my example, assume it is a 36 month, 36K mile lease and I have 36K miles on the car at lease end (actually, based upon my current driving, I may be over the lease requirements by 1-2K when it expires). Currently I see ads for similar equipped and mileage cars in the low 30's.
  • Options
    bmwseller, as you well know, these are advertised prices, the actual transaction prices are somewhat less. Even so, I am amazed at the asking prices. You could get a new 2003 for about those prices.

The MSRP on my 2002 530i was $46,195 as equipped. The transaction price was $42,895 ($1,000 over invoice). The car currently has 23K miles on it. If I can sell the car today for $40K, I would be thrilled.

As a side note, if I were to purchase the 04 530i with same options, MSRP would be about $52K and invoice approx $48.5K. So, assuming the transaction price is $1,000 over invoice (as before, but would not happen in today's market), the new 5 would be about $6K more expensive. Do I get $6K of improvements over my 02MY 5?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Late model year E39 525i and 530i sedans must be popular. Check out the latest (Oct) issue of Roundel (BMW CCA). There just aren't any listed. All they seem to get for '01-'03 E39s are 540i and touring.

For 2003, there are 2 540ia's listed. One 2002 540i6 listed. For 2001 there are 2 525iT (one auto, one manual) and 2 540i (one auto, one manual).
  • Options
    If the cars were exactly the same then you would be moving up 2 years. What's that worth....maybe $1500 per yer or whatever figure you think is right. You'd move from where you have just about used all the warranty to having full maintenance coverage and that might be worth, what $2000? Then there would be the cost of maintenance on the older car that you may have to pay and here is where you enter more of an unknown area because of unforseen problems and the usual wear and tear items. So, maybe you could say another thounsand. That's 6 thousand to get the same car you have. Perhaps, you would not agree with this assessment but I'm confident that I have some valid points here.

I just (minutes ago) had a client who does not especially like the new styling of the 5 drive it for the first time. He has a beautiful sport package 528 and he grinned and giggled with delight when driving the new 5. We talked about the look of the car and to him that is not a primary buying motive. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the new car and the old one but he says that the performance, quality and overall ride and drive are why he buys 'bimmers (also has Z3 and X5). That and he loves the service here along with his client advisor.

That 530 you have there will be a great car for a long, long time...no buts.
    There are always compelling reasons to trade up.
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    The curse of the Bambino strikes again! Better luck next time :-)
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is hoping to interview consumers who have had their auto insurance cancelled because they had a claim or a ticket. Please submit your daytime contact information and a few lines about your experience to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 22, 2003.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    billbroxbillbrox Member Posts: 41
    Yanks 6 Sox 5

-Bucky Boone
  • Options
    Congrats, Yankee fans.
  • Options
    I stopped by a BMW delaer yesterday to look at the new 5. Did not have time for a test drive and they didn't have a 6-speed manual with sport package available to drive at this time (had 6-speed manual w/o and auto w/sport).

As a non-BMW owner, I don't have a current 5-series to tout and directly compare to the "Bangled-up" design. The looks were not quite as offensive to me as they are to others here and, from what I understand, the handling with the sport package is an improvement on what was already a class leader. However, I am having a tough time with the price increase. A 530i reasonably equiped (sport, xenon, dsp stereo, but NO premium) comes in at around $52k MSRP. I know I could go ED at $1,500 over invoice and probably get it for around $47k, but that's much less of a bargain than the $41k ED price for the 2003 model (in addition to the 8% base price increase, the sport package and stereo upgrades are $2k+ more). By the time I start approaching or exceeding $50k for a family sedan, my expectations go up considerably.

On the other hand, I would think this makes the 545i relatively more competitive. What's an extra $8k +/- once you get above $50k? Plus, the considerable added power of the 2004 model and elimination of the gas guzzler tax make the 545i a less costly upgrade for a better car than the 2003 version.

I'm holding off further consideration for now. The forthcoming E320 CDI holds some interest and a $50k +/- 530i just doesn't seem like a good deal. Especially when I see in today's Washington Post no fewer than 3 2001/2 M5's with 10k-20k miles advertised for $53k to $57k obo.

P.S. bmwseller: Regarding resale values, I see your calculations, and if I were the owner of a 2001 530i trying to trade it in to you, I'd be making the same claims. You, however, wouldn't buy it. There is little likelihood that a 3 year old 5-series, low mileage or not, can fetch more than 70% of it's original price. You want to let me drive a 5-series for $1,500 per year?? Or even $3,000 per year?? I'll be happy to sign up this afternoon. Without any real difficulty, I could buy in the Washington DC area a 2001 530i with under 35k miles for $30k. And that's a good deal for the seller. They could have purchased that car for around $42k through discounted ED, driven it for 3 years and incurred 0 maintenance expenses, and had it cost them $4,000 per year ($333 per month) in depreciation. Anyone who would pay more for a 3 year old one needs to take a few more post graduate math courses.
  • Options
    If someone in DC is selling on'01 530 that has under 35k mi. and is a desireably equipped clean car then they are probably leaving money on the table.

Here again I'll use the Manheim Auction Report as evidence: the average wholesale auction price on a 2001 530i for sep-oct sales is $29,699, average miles 34,103.

Some things I have opinions about some things are facts. The fact is that the total cost of ownership on that car is LOW!!!
  • Options
    habitat1, if you are really into the ride and the glory of E39, just wait for a low mileage CPO or find one from an individual seller. You'll save yourself at least 10 grand, have one of the best sedans on earth, drive it for many happy years and it could be good as new if you know what to look for. If you buy E60 you will still have the ultimate driving machine, albeit the ugliest driving machine.

Benz is about the badge and they're not winning any beauty contests either... Roswell New Mexico head lamps, oversized, gaudy tail lamps and Chrysler countenance in general. I'd take a boring but reliable RL over a Benz. Then you'd really save some bucks!

However, you seem like M5 material. They hold their value real well and I think if you try, you could get one from an individual at a buy. Deals aren't about math, rather offering low to a someone who needs to sell. You will probably get turned down on many occasion, but there will be someone who bites. E39 M5 rules, and when it comes to the ride, so does BMW (throw Porsche in there too). But the real bargain is ownership.
  • Options
    bmwseller,

Wouldn't the average wholesale auction price of $29,700 for a 2001 530i indicate that the customer trading that car in is getting at least 10-15% less on trade? Put it another way, what would you give on trade for a 2001 with 34k miles? My guess is that you wouldn't pay more than $26-27k in trade for a car that you could wholesale for $29.7k. Am I right?

designman: Good points. Although I actually think the 2003 redesign of the E-class is an aesthetic improvement, or at least not a step backwards aka the 5-series. My possible consideration of the E320 CDI is on the basis of practicality. One of my colleages owns a 1998 E300 TD with 80k miles and she has had 0 unscheduled maintenance/repair issues, gets 32+ mpg and the car carries a higher resale today a comparable E320 gas and nearly the same as the E430. It is nowhere near the "drivers car" of a 6-speed sport package 5-series, but it is perhaps the most frugal luxury sedan available in terms of ownership costs and resale (especially for 15k+ mile per year drivers like me).
  • Options
    Actually, a trade has a higher value than what the auction car value. Why? No sale fee. A sale fee is not reflected in the auction price and these fees can range from $250 to $400 per car. Transportation fees- on the average we pay between $300 and $500 per car for transportation on auction cars. Reconditioning- it's easier to determine reconditioning costs on a car that is right here in front of me than at an auction and generally a trade-in will need less recon than an auction car. Retail opportunity- a dealer is more likely to stretch a little on an appraisal when a retail deal is hinging on that # and it may also be customer that we know personally, that has used our service department, that has sent us or may send us other retail customers.
  • Options
    skelco11skelco11 Member Posts: 6
    In response to the earlier question about the availability of an M5: our local Gwinnett (Georgia) dealership lists an e-special for an '03 M5. Might be worth checking into...
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I haven't yet seen a new E60 cruising the streets of NYC. I may have to stop by the dealership in Manhattan tomorrow afternoon to check it out.

I'll bet the market will be "flooded" (a relative term for a low production car) with CPO E39 M5s in a little over a year when the 500hp V10 powered E60 M5 bows. I feel like many owners in such a high priced/high perfromance segment really like to have whatever is new right now (and they have the financial credentials to back it up).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    that most, if not all, of the cost/price increases for the new BMW's are due to the dramatic difference in the exchange rate of the Euro vs. the U.S. dollar over the past two years -- well over 30%.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    They may give more for a trade at your dealership than they can buy it for at auction, but in almost every case I've run into, its the other way around. But, I realize it may be different if trading a BMW at a BMW dealer.

In my experience, you get less in trade than the auction price. Why? On a trade, they only have one car to choose from, and it may not be a car they actually want for their inventory. At the auction, they have many cars to choose from and will only buy exactly what they want.

There may be the incentive to close the new car sale, but once it gets to that point, they know you want their car, and now you have an unwanted car that you have to get rid of. They usually try to play this to their advantage. In fact, if your car is a different make, they will usually shop it to a local dealer of that make over the phone, and only offer you what they can wholesale it for that very day.

I'm with habitat on this one... Auction value is the most I'll pay a private seller for his car. And thats usually more than the dealer will give him on trade. YMMV

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    In my 2003 530i (premium), the passenger seat moves rearward at least 1.5" more than the driver's seat. I remember reading somewhere that there's a block or stop in the track for the driver's seat but I can't find anything like that. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    The dealer (Lexus of Omaha) that took my loaded '98 540i6 for trade finally has it advertised in newspaper with a price. He wants only $22,980, though she does have 79,000 miles. They do depreciate.
  • Options
    woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    Juat returned to a manual tranny after 12 years. Question: to get fasted 0 - 60 on 540i, do you wind up the rpms to ???? with a heel to toe manouver and then let the cluch go? I just cannot see how the manual is faster off the line than the modern automatics.

Thanks for advice