Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Rod, I needed to stop at our dealer anyway today so I asked the salesman I've dealt with for quite awhile if they had any 2002SSEis on hand. He said that they didn't have even one Bonneville of any kind because the low interest rate deals were clearing their lots. He thought that in the next 30-60 days they would be stocking more cars and if they are doing it, I would imagine the dealers in St. Louis will be as well.

Mark
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I wouldn't worry about that thinning hair and gray hair--I'm sure it doesn't look bad. Just stay healthy. That's how I look at it at this stage in the game.

I know you fellows meant your posts in jest, but I'm putting my 2 cents in.

(Why did they get rid of the "cents" symbol over the 6?) As long as I'm asking, how do you put words in italic, underscore and so forth? I've never figured that out.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    I'll answer the latter part.

in all of the following, substitute < for ( and > for )

for italics: (i)word(/i)
    for underscore: (u)word(/u)
    for bold: (b)bold(/b)
    for bullets: (li)sentence

to include a "hot" link: (a href="URL")link(/a)

Try it - you'll like it. If your experiments don't look nice, you can always edit or delete.

g'luck
    Pontiac Bonneville

Okay, so I'm showing off.

P.S. good work
    Thanks for the editing info. Never could figure out how all of you did that. Now I know!

Stacy
  • Of course you are Dan . . .

it stands to reason it is in your personality

you did by a Bonneville didnt you?
    I don't know how to change font sizes and colors but I'm happy with what I've learned. Sometimes one needs to put a word in italics to stress a point and I've been having to make do with quotation marks.

How cold is it getting up in Canada? We've had a nice little cool front here in the South - our lows have been 40 degress with highs in the upper 60's. Unfortunately, we're back on a warming trend.
    I saw 33°F on the dash thermometer the other day and, yes, we've had our 1st frost and the leaves have all but fallen.

Today was a far more pleasant 16°C (60°F) and the forecast calls for more of the same.

Upper 60's would be nice - but a tad on the unseasonable side right now...
    Dennis, too bad you've already done some modifications and that you aren't in possession of unlimited funds for multiple runs on the dyno so we could see what each individual step adds in usable horsepower. I don't know if anyone ever watches Horsepower TV on TNN but what I find interesting is that they do a benchmark run and then show what each individual step adds to the total. It would also be really interesting to hook Scott's machine up and see what all of his time, work, and money have added to the drive wheels. I still would like to add 30-40 hp to my car without significantly affecting mileage which is probably like having my cake and eating it too.
    I'll have to ask again in January about those winter temps in Canada. When we do get cold weather in this neck of the woods, it's only for a few days and then in warms back up to the 60's or 70's (F). Can't compare to Canada or the Northern U.S. I don't mind cold weather but driving in snow is a different story!

I was born in Spokane, WA and it was 15 below zero when my dad took my mom to the hospital. I only lived there for 6 months so I don't remember that kind of cold weather.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    And I'd love to boost both the horsepower a bit and the mileage to 30 mpg average.

Dan - are you noticing any difference in mileage and performance between your Grand Prix and Bonneville? And do you have the winter/summer change-over in gas formulation that we experience here?

Ken
    Temperature: -15°? image

Heck, we've had raw temperatures (i.e. before windchill) of -45°. Rare but it happens. When you're down that low, the difference between Fahrenheit and Celsius is immaterial (actually, at -40°, they're the same). A few years back, we had one of the coldest Boxing Days on record - it was in the minus 40's - a friend's LA-living fiancé arrived to spend the holidays wearing his jean jacket. We're still talking about that one.

Mileage: Ken, the main difference between the GP and the Bonny is in the driver. theicewoman has a heavier foot than the iceman so the GP's mileage is high teens vs. the Bonny's 23-24 mpg (US gallons natch). And yes, they've changed over to winter gas so mileage has recently dropped off some (I normally see a 5%-10% drop). But I'm wondering if it's time to replace the air filter.

• smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Trade in your SE for an SSEi ;>)
    Now that's cold! I figured Spokane temps would be comparible to Calgary with Calgary being 10 to 20 degrees colder--just a guess. I didn't know how cold Ontario gets.

Mileage I get around 23 mpg with mostly city type driving (lots of lights). Maybe 30% is highway. I've got the 3.1 L GP though.
    I'm SERIOUSLY looking at it Stephen.

Seriously...
    Better watch out - Dan has the fever and no ice gonna form around his wheels!

Go for it Danno! Gotta get some Supercharging into your life!

Stephen - maybe I'll buy Dan's SLE!

Ken
    Well today I saw what had to be the ugliest Bonneville anywhere. It was a new generation SLE or SSEi in Dark Bronzemist with a tan CARRIAGE ROOF! Can you say YUCK?

All gussied up - even had that tacky gold trim - what a monstrosity!

Of course the other day I also saw a woman drive by in a nice new SE and noticed her steering wheel was covered in one of those furry hand warmers.

Dan - maybe you have one of those for your ICY Canadian mornings? LOL

Ken
    Absolutely gorgeous day in Ottawa today! Wall to wall sunshine and temps in the 60's - not bad for Oct. 20th. So I decided to detail the cars. I don't exactly have that much time to kill but the cars were not looking up to standard. Leaf raking will just have to wait for another day (did I ever tell you all that I live on 2 1/2 acres of heavily treed (mostly Maples) land? Nice colours this year but the leaves... Oy!

So, by the time both cars are washed, dried, vacuumed, and glass cleaned, the Bonneville disappears - the only one dry when theicewoman decides theicekinder have to go on an outing. So whose car gets Zaino'd?

Outsmarted again!

BTW, as I was towelling the GP dry, my neighbour (who owns a dark blue '00 Regal GS) came over and we spent a good time jawing about the spotting problem. He's a little behind the curve it seems - was astounded that I towel-dried the car as a spot-removal strategy.

Ken: there's no accounting for tastes. Why anybody would do that (the carriage roof) to any car, let alone a Bonneville, is beyond me. Gotta say that ya don't see too many GP's with a carriage roof. Now that would be goofy.
    You've got one smart wife!!

I saw a Navy Blue Grand Prix at the Mall the other day. It had Illinois license plates so it wasn't a local car. It was really shiny and quite gorgeous looking. It doesn't make sense that a car would look that nice if it was driven from Illinois to here but who knows.

When I was house shopping about 4 years ago, I had my heart set on a brand new house on a 2 acre lot. I wound up with a new house but on a 3/4 acre lot (not many trees either). Oh well. It's in a cul-de-sac so it's still not that close to other houses though.

I'm sure all those maple trees are beautiful.
  • krubinkrubin Posts: 1
    Any thoughts as to why my car has a pronounced vibration in steering wheel and brake pedal when the car is between 44-47 miles per hour? Felt most when coasting (non-accelerating). Tires have been rebalanced without effect. Any thoughts?
    Glad I have little of that activity on my place. The wind blows most of mine into the woods or fields. My prior house had huge oaks - not only full of leaves - but those acorns are a real pain in the kiester!

Should have washed and waxed my cars yesterday in that unseasonably warm weather but couldn't get to it. Falling behind the curve here now and need some time off to catch up - not likely to hapen though. Poor Bonneville - needs a bath badly!

Ken
    Not to mention all the leaves that are dragged into the house!

I have one scraggly tree in the front yard and one in the back. I don't have a leaf problem but I wouldn't mind some trees for shade in the summer. I would plant some trees but the length of time it takes to grow a tree, I don't know if I'll even be living here.

The waterspots didn't look as bad on my car the last time I washed it. Guess I did a better job at drying. I still can't get them completely off though. Rather than wax the car, I think I'd rather just not worry so much about water spots!
  • Just stopping by to wish odin2 all the best with the new Bonnie. From all the reports from the Bonnevile Clan, you will enjoy the drive.

Hommer2000ssei, thank you for your tips on car wax and I agree that during winter, slow and steady wins the day. (Watch out for the black ice on the roads, that is double trouble). Is the Zaino wax only available through the internet or can you get it at your local auto store?

mfahey1, glad to see your Bonnie is back and hope it is doing well after being away from home.

Ken, has the iceman bought the new ssei yet? Sounds like he has the bug. Also it is leaf season and the maples are rain down their leaves. I think the biggest tree problem where I live is the sap from the evergreens. I think my father is looking to take then down since the sap gets on his Buick Riviera (1997). I know my dad enjoys that super charger, but do you think he would miss it if I borrow it for a while?!

Well take care everybody, time to watch the Phila Eagles take on those NY Giants!

Drive on....sxb
  • h101h101 Posts: 62
    We have quite a few 00-01 Bonnevilles in Madison, often park next to them and not unusual to have two or three in a resturant parking lot. Shows we have a dealer that stocks and sells 'em I guess. I followed an '02 for the first time today. I guess the new exhaust tips are OK, but one of 'em was crooked... it was obvious and somewhat disappointing to see. What struck me more was the bumper is unchanged, so the oval tip sits in a rectangular opening... hmmmm... But it was still one sharp car (maple red).

Our '00 SSEi is now getting close to two years old and has only been back for oil changes and a wheel balance (there was no vibration, just cuz I felt I should).

Up to our ears in leaves and acorns here also.

Bill
    There have been a number of new 2K2 SE models around here on the highways over the past couple of weeks - the front bumper is the giveaway - but I keep forgetting to notice whether or not the side molding is now chrome or body colored.

Still luvin it!!!!

Ken
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    iceman, one smokey burn out and a quick whipping on a punk in a Z/28 and you will wonder how you survived without a lightly modified SSEi; probably change your name to fireman. I probably will hold off on a 2002 until I can figure out where to get a canvas carriage roof, with a sun roof of course. By the way, since I went to dsl, it wont let me post due to some cookie problems. I have to use my I Mac in my classroom to respond. I am always watching and waiting. Things here have changed a lot since the 11th. My wife used to travel almost every week, now they have cut off off travel completely. The only silver lining I can find. Mfahey...I am looking at a split bumper 72 Z/28... see it at fastlane cars website; right here in river city
  • Im not even gonna say I have to stop being too busy to come here. :)

Zaino is only available from Sal directly - or even better, one of his distributors. To find the nearest one to you (I cant ship into the states) email sal@zainobros.com and ask for the nearest distributor to you.

Iceman cometh . . . .over to the S/C side. Come on Dan - you know you want to !

And whats that about lookign at old Z's? I have just about decided that in the spring , right after I move into my next place, that Im going to search out a late 70's, very early 80's (second generation) Z28 or simple Camaro to work on and make a project. I used to have a z from 81 - and miss it dearly. When I sell my place, Ill have lotza cash to take a little and fine me a fixer upper.

Dyno results - well, they were not what i expected, and as it turns out the operator screwed up the reports to the point that it reads out he had my car over 9500 rpm. ! ! ! ! Im going back for a re-test when I can get a hold of him and make him agree that the report / test was flawed. Thats when Ill report the truth.

He did run it to the speed limiter for me - and yes it is 220Kph. Man that was something to see it sitting there, wheels just spinning to beat the band, engine screaming and it wasnt going anywhere. Kinda funny.

Later
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    I thought it was Ken who was wishing for a boost in horsepower and gas mileage.
    Rod and Dennis sound like they had the old Camaro itch pretty bad( I have a 70 1/2).
    Go to (a href="URL")www.crazyz-28.com(/a) to scratch that itch. Many of the participants are, shall we say, of a different class than Bonneville owners( we at least can spell) but it is fun to dive into the various topics.
    We'll see if this hot link stuff that Dan posted works for me. I'm no propeller head so I may have taken his instructions a little too literally.
This discussion has been closed.