Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• walterm3walterm3 Posts: 8
    Please note that the operative word in the service manuals is APPROXIMATE. Whatever it takes to top out the dipstick BUT NOT EXCEED>
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The engineers that designed the engine and wrote 'the books', or 4 Service Managers?
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    The CTSV is a sweet ride. It may sell in such limited volume that the price will be rather steep, even in the used market, if you can find one. Plus you may need to worry about how hard such a high performance car has been driven by the previous owner/leasee. Such a car is worth the risk as long as you check it out and maybe consider an extended warranty. You don't want to even imagine engine or tranny repair costs. You might want to test drive both the regular cts and the ctsv, they both handle well and are fun to drive and the bigger engine in the regular cts is pretty powerful. Between the two it will be the value leader in the used market and there is maybe a better chance that it won't have been abused by its previous owner.

btw, base deville is rated at 275 hp, but the dts is rated a little higher at 300 hp.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Thanks Hydra2 for the info. you provided on the CTS-V. Your probably right the regular CTS with 255 horsepower is probably a better value and enough power.

Regarding Deville base and DTS. In my vintage (98) it was Deville base and Concours. I have wondered how much difference the 25 horsepower makes in reality. The records say 0-60 mph - DTS 7.3 seconds and
    7.8 seconds Deville base. The base model actually has 5 lbs more torque than the DTS.
    I think because the base model can carry six and DTS 5 persons. Have not as yet driven a DTS or Concours so I have no direct experience.
    The major difference may be top speed which I think is 112 for base and around 130 for DTS.
    The speed limits around here are 55 for some roads and 60 for others so guess I would rarely need peak power of either model. I do however like the large and powerful engine for passing on two lane roads and merging into main highways.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,188
    engineers that designed the engine and wrote 'the books', or 4 Service Managers?

I'll vote for the 4 service managers. They work with the actual engines in the field and know what's happening.
    I currently own 1998 Deville. As most Deville owners know the Northstar engines do burn oil.
    When I first owned the car I was concerned about
    running on too little oil. I was assured by my dealer that the car could probably run ok on five quarts. More important than that, the dashboard has a check oil message that is supposed to come on if the oil level is dropping to questionable levels. I generally add about a quart a month but don't worry to much about it and think the Northstar is a fine engine and has taken to much criticism over the oil issue.

So far as oil change levels, believe they put 8 quarts in my car including the oil filter but have seen the mechanic using the dipstick as he fills.
    He generally fills to the max line.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    My 2003 Deville with 34k miles doesn't seem to burn oil between changes. I change oil at 3,000 miles. I know that there were some Northstar engine modifications for the 2002s. Has anyone had experience with oil burning on recent models?
    I think most engines burn oil between changes. One way to find out would be to check the dipstick for oil level right after an oil change and than again before having an oil change. If the level has dropped you are burning oil, if the same you are not. I didn't check the oil level the first three months I owned my 98 Deville. When I went in for a change the technician said I was two quarts down. I'm not sure he was right but do know the car was running fine with two quarts down or not, has also continued to run fine for the two and a half years since.
    For a while I checked the oil quite a bit now I will check about once a month and add a quart if down but am probably spending money that may be unnecessary. The Devilles' have a check oil message light that will come on if your at levels that might compromise your engine. I always carry a quart in the trunk with my other emergency supplies just in case. No message light has ever come on.

It is probably just as important not to overfill
    as it is to allow the oil levels to drop below minimum line. Hope this gives you some ideas, best wishes.
    I appreciated the note -I'll check between changes but I always change oil and filter every 3,000 miles
    so if I'm burning oil it probably isn't much.
  • lowscolalowscola Posts: 8
    If you change your own oil, the best way to see how much oil you car has consumed is to refill the empty oil containers with your used oil. You'll know how many quarts you've put in and how many quarts you've taken out. I'm curious to see how much my deville has used since my first oil change.
    I wonder if the 2006 Deville will resemble the Sixteen concept car. I hope so. It is lots better looking than the CTS/STS sharp edge design. Actually the STS is a little more rounded than the CTS. I wonder if this edge design will hold up. The new six series BMW coupe is fantastic looking -perhaps that is the wave of the future. Has anybody seen a "spy" photo of the 2006 Deville?
    I'll be happy to trade US brochures if anyone with a Canadian 2003 Deville brochure would like to trade. Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    is an invitation to be flooded with spam.

OTOH, if you just go to your profile settings (see link in the upper left corner) and make your email address public, you will allow Town Hall members who are logged in to see it, but it will remain hidden from the spam bots.

Hope this is helpful.

:)
    Thanks, Pat - I deleted it and put it in the profile.
    Doesn't anyone have anything to say about his Cadillac?
  • captkevcaptkev Posts: 14
    I must echo dispencer1. I just signed on to view any new postings. Big Surprise, only one new posting on board since I went away; #1430, almost two weeks ago. Thought there would be a few new posts. Well I can add a little repair that I just had done. I am on the road a lot organizing bus tours. A few weeks ago noticed a vibration in right front wheel when making left turns on or off the highway. Turns out that it was a wheel bearing. Peculiar though, because I only have 41700mi on my 2000 DTS. Left front wheel was ok? Checked out fine. But all said and done, I still like my DTS a lot, great handling highway car for all its little annoying faults. Lucky so far with repairs because I have extended warranty for 62000mi. After that I will probably have to take out a mortgage for repairs. Or do they get finer like old wine as they age, less repairs etc, Oh yeah, I wish.
  • verovero Posts: 1
    2001 cadillac dts 70k. turn on key and all systems go, except car does not crank!!! off and on problem. dealer says sorry cant help you till car wont start at all. dealers solution replace everything for horn to starter. BS any answers? VERO
    I had the same intermittant problem with my 2001 Malibu except the car cranked, but the fuel pump was inoperative. It was a faulty ignition module (something that apparentely plugs in behind the ignition switch and costs about $175. Labor added another $150. The ignition switch wasn't always reading my key. While the car was cranking, the theft indicator kept blinking. If you turned the key to "on" and left it there for 15 minutes, then turned it to "off" then to "start", the car started right up. Since your car doesn't crank it may not be the same thing, but you might try turning the key to on and leaving it for 15 minutes, then try to start it. It sounds like an ignition problem to me. I'd rule that out before I started replacing lots of other components.
    A pin holding my gear shifter to the steering column has recently popped up but not out. I pushed it back in and hit lightly with a rubber mallet. stayed in place several days but has popped up again. If this pin popped out all the way would the gear shifter than be inoperative?
    Would I be able to turn off the engine with out shifting out of drive or what ever gear I was in at the time?

For others that have owned the 98 Deville (base)
    or similar vintage cars any experience or information you can provide would be helpful.
    I always like to have a good idea of whats going on before I take the car to a repair facility so any information based on other owners will be much appreciated.
    A few years ago there seemed to be a lot of postings on this list so what has changed? I rode around the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex in a buddy's 2003 CTS - Cadillac's "best seller". I have a 2001 Malibu which rides better, has a bigger trunk opening, has nicer door panels, has a much better stereo (he doesn't have the Bose), and has a better back seat. I also have a Deville and there is absolutely no comparison - the CTS is a joke. Too bad Cadillac doesn't make a CTS coupe or convertible. I would think that they would be great sellers, but this little cramped 4 door that rides about the same as my '97 Ranger extended cab did is not much of a Cadillac. Just my opinion. Everybody seems to love them for some reason.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    It is the performance and handling, along with luxury that people get with the CTS. This is the perfect example of the difference between what Ill call BMW type customers and Deville type customers. To BMW customers, bigger isn't always better, the Deville customers it is. It's just a matter of valuing different things. Luckily, Cadillac has stepped up to the plate with CTS, SRX,XLR, and soon STS. Otherwise they would be dead in the water, like Lincoln. But for all of the changes that they have made, Cadillac has to kepp the Deville the same type of car to keep the "old core" customers while keeping on going with their other stuff to draw the BMW, MERC, AUDI, LEXUS, ETC. to Cadillac.
  • rxlessardrxlessard Posts: 1
    When i purchased my 2004 DTS, I followed printed material and used regular gas. Then, after 2000 miles, i had guage warnings on the fuel inj, and the dealer replaced the inj and portions of electronics under warantee. The dealership told me to use Supreme regardless of printed material....Anyone have experience here??? Thanks (especially with Gas prices in Seattle) HA!... or is it, expensive car, expensive gas? lol SOMETHING DOES NOT MAKE SENSE HERE...
    I agree that the CTS is nicely finished inside and you are right about the BMW/Deville customers. My wife likes the Deville for her real estate customers. It is comfortable, not cramped for 4 passengers and her customers are relaxed in it. She says she also feels successful when she drives it. I went through the German phase of my life with a VW Quantum and an '86 Audi 5000S. The Audi was far better design-wise than anything else built in 1986 -in fact if it was sold today anyone would consider it a contemporary design. Unfortunately it was an incredible lemon with all sorts of electronic problems. It had a 50,000 mile warranty but I took lots of annual leave taking it back and forth to the dealers in both Washington and later in New Orleans. I dumped it at 48k and haven't been back to German cars since. (my English phase was a Jag MK X -another lemon - It was practically new and when it ran it ran beautifully). I agree with Cadillac's philosophy and may very well get the new STS when it is a year old or so depending on its size. It is bigger than the CTS. The new DTS should be nice, too. I don't have any problem with the CTS and would probably buy one if they made it in a coupe or convertible but as a 4 door sedan road car the Deville is more comfortable and I don't have any problem with its handling and performance. The CTS would be fine to drive to the office and zip around town but it has a woefully tight back seat. The STS and the DTS will rectify the lack of back seat space. Actually from a design standpoint, the present Deville has nice lines , almost as good as the 1965-67 Devilles which were beautifully proportioned. The problem with the CTS is that for less money there are plenty of nice mid-size cars such as the Camry or Avalon. Reliability and resale are great for these.
    I've used regular in my 2003 base Deville with no problem at all. Your car is supposed to use regular. I use Chevron pretty much exclusively which seems to be fine.
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    I have used regular (shell or Mobil)in my 2002 dts for 19,000 miles with no problems. Unless changes have been made, which I doubt, the DeVille is designed to run best on regular grade gasoline. In fact, previous posters have complained of carbonization problems when they used premium. You might want to try switching brands and avoiding the cheap generic brands.
  • richard5richard5 Posts: 2
    Thanks I used the GM link I found it very helpful. Richard5
  • richard5richard5 Posts: 2
    Hello I am new to Edmunds. Does anyone have idea what it will cost to have a night vision camera lens repaired?
  • caddy4caddy4 Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of this problem?
    I came in to local dealer for a state car inspection.I was told first that the car was too heavy for the tires that came with the car and I would need to replace all 4 tires.I had 19,000 miles on the car.When I questioned this, he changed the story to that the tires were not properly maintained.After questioning THIS STORY he decided that only 2 of the 4 tires needed replacing but he would have to keep an eye on the remaining 2 tires.
    Has anyone else that is OLDER had a similar experience?
    I think that the person at the dealership is in need of professional mental health care.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2002 SLS owners manual says to use at least 87 octane. Here (high altitude) regular is 85. My owners manual goes on to say that for "best performance" one might wish to use a higer octane fuel.

I have been using premium (91 octane here).