Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    Robert: I experienced the same problem last month with my 99 E320 4MATIC. The dealer traced the problem to a faulty sensor which was way out of specs. In summer 99 the EC light was on permanently due to another defective sensor. Your dealer must check each sensor separately in order to trace the defective one. Good luck.
    Jean
  • Options
    prevostxlvprevostxlv Member Posts: 20
    Jean,

Thanks for the words of wisdom -- I am on the phone as I type this response. I hope this is my problem because they called and hour ago and said all the systems read OK.

Rob
  • Options
    tim_yutim_yu Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I want to want why new generation MB E class's steering is so much lighter that old ones. One of the big reason I like German cars is the heavy steering wheel, which makes you feel secure, stable, maybe manly. Can this be reset by dealer or a shop ? Do you guys like the way it is now or before ? For me, after test E320 and Lexus GS, I say to myself. I only drive up to 75mph, most of time 30mph (I am living bay area, CA). GS has everything E320 offers, but quieter, smoother, and cheaper. I could come up a strong reason (except been seen from outside) E320 is a better buy than GS.
  • Options
    cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    This is my first contribution to this message section, which I have been reading for a while.
    I took delivery of my E430 AWD, Brilliant Silver/Charcoal, E1, E2, COMAND, K2a, in April after a 5 month wait, and am delighted with it. Only regret is that I did not get the multicontour seats. The Xenon’s are terrific, and the headlight system actually adjusts itself adaptively when you accelerate or brake! (Really! Check it out some time). The thing is really quick and civilized all at once. A passenger (Buick Owner) once said “I feel like I’m flying” - comment on the smooth ride. I can’t wait until the first snow and experience with “freestyle driving”.

I’ve experienced some of the same problems that I’ve read about here, including the unfillable gas tank (that gains fuel as I drive!!), the maverick Right Rear Window, intermittently squeaky steering wheel (most prevalent when I make a turn to the lock in either direction) and a few other poltergeists. Among these last are very poor FM radio reception - which I ascribe to the in-window antenna. Also, the Remote CD player has this annoying intermittent habit of starting CD1, Track1 when I reenter and start the car despite my making no changes to the program other than shutting off the car from the last trip. Not always, but sometimes. My RR window problem only occurs when I’ve used the “all windows down” feature with the IR Key outside the car. In some cases, other windows have done this, too. While these are all annoyances to be sure, I’ve not been motivated to take the car back to the dealer for anything yet.

Here’s what I’ve learned about some of the other issues discussed here in different places. The StarTac phone is programmable with a flash-memory system, standard from Motorola. So, the firmware is MB’s and this is what allows the hands-free phone to work, but only with the MB code. I initially had some problems with my Cellular provider and they suggested that they could reprogram the phone. Had I allowed them to do this, it is probable that I would have lost the MB integrated features. If you have a non-MB phone and want it programmed to work in the car, you’d have to convince MB to do this for you - - it’s technically possible. As far as power output in the car, the interface to the car antenna is passive - there are no amplifiers in either path, and I don’t believe this is easily possible with digital cellular in general. The antenna is capacitively coupled to the car’s phone antenna in the cradle in the armrest. At least, this is my understanding.

As far as COMAND is concerned, I disagree with the Edmunds conclusion to not recommend the system. Their trouble with it has to do with “user friendly” interface issues. While this might be a problem learning a system “on the fly” in a rental car, if you take the time to learn its programming methods and other quirks, it works just fine. And unlike aftermarket systems, COMAND not only uses GPS signals, but it also dead-reckons!! (You pilots and sailors know what I mean). I got my car before DOD shut off GPS Selective Availablity (the deliberate contamination of GPS signals which made the solution both inaccurate and unstable). COMAND could tell when I emerged from the Boston Callahan Tunnel (no GPS coverage in the tube!), and also detected my direction change (with the map arrow on the screen) with the tightest turn I could make in the driveway! On the calibration page, it asks for tire size and wear - a giveaway that it’s counting wheel revolutions and steering direction (or Earth's magnetic field vectors) to dead-reckon. And, in fact, such a dead-reckoning system doesn’t have to be that accurate because usually the GPS signal is reacquired before the DR calculations begin to experience serious errors. You can be sure that when your in a tunnel, under a thick canopy of trees, or down among the skyscrapers in a big city, that the GPS coverage is nothing to depend on for sole-means navigation. I now depend on COMAND when I have no clear idea how to get to a destination. And, quite frankly, the distractions of an unfolded map on the steering wheel and trying to find where you are is far worse than the map display the little turning directions screen in the speedometer display, and that woman who talks to you (I'd like a date if I weren't married) - an example of a dashboard distraction that actually can improve safety and attention to the road.

It's easy to knock the W/S switch for the transmission into the position you did not select. I've already done this, and the car's performance sure changed when the switch is in the right position. Particularly if you've owned the car for only a season or two, you haven't "trained" the adaptive transmission to your driving habits, and this may account for some weird shifting patterns that have elicited comments on this message board.

By the way, have you noticed the talent that the Germans seem to have to make real wood look like plastic?? That IS real wood in the interior!

Someone commented that the MPG computer is very good on fuel mileage but the Avg. Speed reads too low. In this case, it appears that “time” MB uses in the D=RT computation is the time that the ignition is on until it is shut off. Sit in your driveway after a short trip and watch the average speed drop if the car isn’t moving. Also the fuel mileage!

There has been some speculation (and concern about dealer reticence) about when the redesigned E-Class will come. My understanding is Model Year 2002. But, you can see pictures of the redesigned E-class and a list of its features on the web right now! Today! The place to go for these juicy tidbits is the MB Enthusiast’s Pages, which, I think, originates in England. There they have numerous spy photos and translations of German Car Magazine atricles, etc. The place to start is - -

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9323/index2.html

All of what is here is mostly focused on the European versions of the car. The E-Class, for example, is actually sold in three trim levels in the old world, and there is no exact correspondence to the U.S. model. Also, E-Class in Europe is typically sold with much smaller engines. An E200 is popular there. There are a number of other MB models described on these pages that aren’t sold in the U.S.

What would I want to see in a new U.S. E-Class? Well, first of all, it needs a ski-bag in the rear armrest like an Audi. Since this is the best “go skiing” car I can imagine, it’s annoying to be unable to carry my expensive skis inside the car. Second, I can’t understand why a $60,000 car doesn’t have passenger footwell lights! My Taurus SHO had ‘em! The lenses are there, MB certainly knows how to implement this but they leave the feature out in USA-destined cars! Third, ship the car here with the same RV mirrors that come with the car in Germany. The U.S. variants of RV mirrors are too small and offer insufficent coverage. I’d like to see an instantaneous MPG display. I’d also like to see which gear the tranny has selected when I’m in Drive and not using the “touch select” transmission feature. Some of the other ideas are already shipping in the 2001 model, e.g. one-touch moonroof.

This is an expensive car, but I actually think it is worth it.
  • Options
    MB's light steering wheel is actually designed for the North American consumer where majority prefer lighter steering feel. European version have different feeling. My first MB was a European 1975 model 250. It steering system had a horizontal shock absorber which limits the turning speed of the steering wheel. However the new MB's have such a precise steering that make you feel totally secured and confident when driving. You will get used to the light feel and come to like with time.I concur with you that GS-300/400 are more quite with better attention to details. I drove the GS-400 for an extended period. I loved the car, but never felt the sense of security and confidence like my E320 4MATIC. Also please note that after about 10,000 miles MB's engine becomes quiet and with the excellent sound proofing you will feel as comfortable inside as the GS.Good luck in your choice.
    Jean
  • Options
    Thank you for the extended and precise report. I agree with you that the "E" is not perfect but we still like it. In my experience, the W/S switch is not valid with the 4MATIC. You will only feel the difference with a RWD. I leave it on "S" all year long.The only way to discipline you RR window is to open all windows with the remote key fob. Wait 10 seconds then close them all with the same key fob. This action will synchronize all windows.As for the mobile telephone, Swisscom in Switzerland and Deutsche Telecom in Germany provide the interface kit to your own personal telephone (GSM European band)without MB's interference. We are deprived from this service by MB in North America.Let's wish that MB designers and Marketeers are reading this page and your note in particularly. They may raise the next E design to a full customer satisfaction. Finally.
    Jean
  • Options
    gdtobmegdtobme Member Posts: 17
    To Williams17, I also just had my 2000 E320 serviced. I go to Keyes European in Van Nuys; nice friendly service and Neal, my adviser, treats me like a regular, even though I've been there only a couple of times before.

No charge for Flex Service A since it's part of the Free Scheduled Maintenance feature. No, they did not replace my wiper blade; I forgot to mention it, though. They give you a long stem rose, though, when you pick up your car.

BTW, they provide loaners--anything from a C-Class to a Chevy Blazer.
  • Options
    tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    Response to posting #104:

Bill - This is a response to your question regarding a tiny hole at the bottom of the star on your trunk lid is a littly late for which I apologize. I have an '01 E320 and I can not find any hole of any size where you described.
  • Options
    bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    hey guys, old habits never die.

Im looking for A low miles E430, like under 20k miles. 99 or 2000 model year. I understand alot of changes for 2000 took place, but are they significant. If any body has any thoughts to share I would enjoy reading them.

Drove a 99 with squeeky steering column on dealer lot, car had 20,000 miles.

Skat-mat for the cat. They make a mat that you put on the hood of your car that emits low voltage when kitty snuggles with your masterpiece.

Perhaps a SPlat-mat may be more in order. Be happy kitty does not like to sleep on the engine block. We have all heard those stories.

I believe o-60 in like 6.1 seconds should be enough run miss kitty down. IF you had a diesel, you could not do this.

Bargamon
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Yes, I would recommend a '00 over a '99 if you can find one because there were a significant number of changes (more than 300, if I recall correctly). Check out the details here (click on the "Web special" on the right side of the screen):
    http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/e-class/default.htm

Hope this helps!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference

P.S. How about stopping by the M-class topic and letting everyone know how your vehicle has been holding up?
  • Options
    bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    Been taking a break from posts here for new toys, digital camera for one.

I drove some 430's and loved it. Not having the dilema to go 320 or 430 as we did with ML because I think the CAR with the big engine is better than the TRUCK with a big one. In that, the ml320 does just fine with 320, but the 430 in the car becomes a real rush funmobile. Its gonna be hard to finda a 2000 used. I have a person charging auction price plus 1k to shop it. I went to starmark lot and could not believe what they are asking. I think a car with 5-10k on miliage should be ok with out starmark. Besides some exterior ground effects and steering weel controls, what are the major tweeks of a 2000 model year over the 99?
    Any considerations I should be looking for??

I read back over the last few months on this site. a little different than ml chat. I'll head over now.
  • Options
    juresjures Member Posts: 42
    i have a y2k e320, there is no hole below the star logo on the trunk, it sounds like a defect. i installed the halla optilux xenon bulbs, h7, 55w, this weekend, i notice a big difference driving at night, much truer colors and brighter, imho, it is worth the $28, plus they come with a lifetime guarantee from halla. in regards to the w/s tranny switch, i have 4matic and it does make a difference, in w, you start out in 2nd gear and get a higher reverse gear.
  • Options
    eel1121eel1121 Member Posts: 4
    I just took delivery of an '01 E320 4-matic, brilliant silver, with E1, E2, heated seats, and Xenons. I chose these options based on reading comments from all of you and I am very happy with these choices. It's my first Mercedes, and it is a real treat. My questions are regarding car care. Which Zaino products should I buy (the web site asks whether you have a clear coat or not) and which Rainx products should I buy? How often do you need to use these products and how often do you need to treat the leather components? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    may simply mean that the MB star is misaligned a little. FYI, the stars at the back on all MB vehicles are not simply glued on only. There are actual holes (just 2 or 3 of them, I think) in the trunk lid underneath the badge. If it is misaligned or lifting up slightly, you will be able to see what's underneath.

If it really bothers you, simply mention this (or better yet show it) to your service advisor the next time you're at the dealership and he/she should be able to take care of it for you.
  • Options
    allows you to start in 2nd gear (or a special reverse gear) because the whole idea is that with less torque at the drive wheels, the tires will be less likely to break loose and start spinning. IMHO, this is useful for the RWD non-4-matic E-classes, but less for the 4-matic models.
    Personally, I've used it only maybe once or twice during the winter. I enjoy punching the gas and feeling all four wheels hook up and spin (although 4ETS will control this) while leaving the FWD/RWD vehicles way behind :-)

Drew/aling
  • Options
    mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    ee11121 -

I have a '00 E320, same color and options, and I love the car. Just after delivery, I had Zaino on hand -- Z-1 Polish Lok, Z-2 Show Car Polish (the car has clear coat), Z-6 Gloss Enhancer, and Z-7 Show Car Wash Concentrate. I later added Z-16 Tire Gloss.

I'd recommend all these products. I did NOT use the Z-18 ClayBar, since the car was new and the dealer had detailed it.

First, I washed it with blue Dawn to remove all the dealer's wax. Then, Z-1 and Z-2, let dry thoroughly, and then Z-6. I use lots of Z-6 instead of a wash when the car is very clean, but first use a California Duster or 100% cotton towel LIGHTLY to remove any dust, then use Z-6 after washing the brake dust off the wheels. Final application is Z-16 on the tires.

You'll find that subsequent washes and applications of Z-2 are easy and fast. The Z-2 is merely wiped on, allowed to dry, then wiped off. No buffing or rubbing! On the light colored brilliant silver finish, I find that Z-6 after Z-2 is an overkill. The Z-2 provides a superb shine and the "wet look."

I haven't tried the Zaino leather products (Z-9 and Z-10) -- I agree with Drew (ailing) and use Lexol for cleaning and treating the leather. Works great.

Hopes this helps. Try going to Town Hall Topic #1319 under "Maintenance" for more info about Zaino. Also, strongly recommend that you visit the Zaino web site and read their "tips." The URL: www.zainobros.com
  • Options
    billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    I think that you should should at least get Z1, Z2, Z6 and the tire gloss. You have clear coat. Start by washing w/Dawn dishwashing liquid. Get lots of 100% cotton, made in America white towels. After putting on 3 or more coats of Z2, alternating with Z6, depending upon weather and washing, you can go several months without Z2 and by applying Z6 after washing. Keep it up and your car will look great. People comment on my unbelievable shine even when I think its "dirty." Don't know about Rainx. Not enuf experience to recommend leather. Zaino site www.zainobros.com is very helpful. You'll get a sense of how much maintenance you need or want to do after doing it for a while. Bill
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I've been looking at some Starmarked cars at the dealership too. The prices are rediculous! I wonder if they expect you to bargain down. I saw 2 '99 SLKs there for 42K+. I think that's the price of them new.
  • Options
    jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    mbdriver and billc01776: why is it necessary to wash down the "factory wax" with Dawn when the car is new? I would think leaving it on would add on extra protection, in addition to the Zaino products. Do you think using other car wash products (ie, Maguier's etc) would yield a different result? or is Dawn dishwashing liquid that much supprior (maybe more economical) than others?

Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    You want to get rid of the cheap wax that the dealer put on and start from a totally clean surface. Even thought the car is new, I would recommend using the clay, or a clear coat cleaner like Meguier's Clear Coat Body Scrub Paint Cleaner http://www.meguiars.com/first to really get the "crud" off the paint surface, and get it as clean and smooth as you can before applying Z1/Z2. It really will make a difference.

Dawn is just what Sal Zaino recommends because of it's high alkaline content it strips off wax and dirt really well without hurting the paint. Check out thier web site for more info: http://www.zainobros.com/ The whole story is there, Dawn, cotten towels, etc. The web site has all this info you need when starting with a car with excellent paint. I think they tend not to cover what to do with an old car very well, and I think you really need to think about a good polish/glaze like those made by Meguier first in this case.

I was a Meguier's user before I switched to Zaino. The Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax is a great product, but I've come to prefer Zaino. I think it is more durable and has slightly better depth (at least after several coats).
  • Options
    dkatlantadkatlanta Member Posts: 23
    I'm pleased with my 2000 E320, with 2 exceptions, both relating to comfort. First, too much tire noise gets into the cabin. It's true I'm now using Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's, which are performance oriented, but the car was noisy with the original equipment Michelin tires, too. Is there any way to add soundproofing?
    Second, I find the driver's seat uncomfortable. it presses hard against my lower spine and, so far, I haven't found any aftermarket product that really helps.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Adding soundproofing? I suppose you could always add another layer of carpet, or extra mats. Or try letting out a few lbs of air from the tires, or get lower rated (softer walled) tires, or smaller wheels(rims) will give you more sidewall, and more cushion and thus a quieter, softer ride. My ES is the quietest car I've ever owned, including a 300E MBZ so I'm not sure to what extent you perceive this a problem.

Do you have the lumbar in the seats adjusted? Tried different pitches with the seat bottom and back?
  • Options
    Sorry, my head was in the wrong conference. My Lexus is the quietest car I've owned. My MBZs (3 of them) have been much noisier, and the Lexus has the lumbar.
  • Options
    Camry's come with lumbar too! and are quieter than a diesel.
    YOur happiness with your avalon, er I mean es300 is irrelevent to his question, other than to agitate him and others at the expense of your attempt to elevate your self esteem at the price of others.
  • Options
    donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    I have a '01 E430 and it has a slot at the bottom inside of the trunk lid emblem. The slot is very thin and about 1/4 inch long. It appears to be designed to allow any moisture trapped to pass through to below the emblem on the trunk lid. You can see the slot when you put your head close to the trunk.
  • Options
    acd7acd7 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone recommend this service? Also, has anyone noticed whether the SOS light remains illiminated at all times on the 2001 - it is really annoying. I would appreciate any comments on the service itself and how to get the SOS light turned off.
  • Options
    turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    My 00 E320 is by far quieter than my 99 ES300. With that in mind my ES does not have the wind noise problems that numerous people posted in the ES forum. Maybe your 300E is noisy but the newer E-class (96 on) is probably much quieter than your 300E to begin with. When you shut the doors or trunk, you can feel the car is much more solid than the ES300, by far. Maybe an LS400 is different but no way is the ES300 quieter than the E-Class. Maybe quieter engine at idle. Thats about it.
  • Options
    the tele-aid comes free for the 1st year with I believe is 30 minutes of airtime. After that it isn't worth the money, IMHO. The light on my car reamins on all the time and does not bother me one bit. I guess you can always pull that bulb out if it bothers you.
  • Options
    My my my... cut me a little slack guys. I visit several forums and honestly thought I was writing in the ES forum. I did try to mend my ways with a quick post after the fact. My mistake. .....

Yes, after 3 MBZs in a row, we opted for a Lexus this time. I love MBZs. My wife still drives one. Probably will have another somewhere in the future. But evey car has advantages and disadvantages, even MBZ.
  • Options
    billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks donald02 for confirming that I'm not out of my mind. Actually my wife does think I am out of my mind. Last night I was in my dark garage shining a flashlight from beneath the trunk emblem. If you do this (who else would want to?), you can see a clearly machined channel about 3/8 of inch by 1/32 of an inch. Bill
  • Options
    I am not trying to sound harsh, I am just saying that your 300E probably is much noisier than the new E-Class, thats all.
  • Options
    I believe you are right about the new E being quieter than it's predesessor. Although I do not have the newer E in my garage, my sister inlaw does. It is definately a different beast. If you have both the new E and the ES in your garage and drive them daily, and you say the new E is quieter, I'll buy that. I mean, how often do most people get to be in and out of both cars on a regular basis? .... I think I was reacting too much to bargamon2, who obviously has some issues to deal with. Guess I'd better get 2 MBZs in my garage again instead of just one nowdays, and think nothing but MBZ thoughts to measure up to his standards.

If the current E is as quiet as you say, then dkatlanta must really be sensitivie to interior noise.
  • Options
    as sensitive to noise are you are to mine.
  • Options
    My wife actually drives the ES daily, but I periodically drive them to gas it up for her and whatever. But yes my 00 E320 is quieter than her 99 ES300, wife even agreed with me. When you accelerate there is less engine noise in the cabin as well. However the ES's engine idles much much quieter.
  • Options
    A Lexus and an MBZ and you get the MBZ......
    How did you manage that? We had the two MBZs but were starting to spend too much on maintanence so one of the cars needed to get swapped for a lower overall cost auto. So guess whos car got fingered? Oh well, if the wife is happy, chances are good, I'm happy too.
  • Options
    mbdrivermbdriver Member Posts: 426
    eel1121 and jason 64 -

I agree completely with billc01776 regarding Zaino application. The blue Dawn should be used only initially to remove any wax and prepare the paint surface for the Z-1 and Z-2. After applying Zaino, don't use a dishwashing liquid (high in alkaline) to wash the car. Z-7 is chemically compatible with all other Zaino products and is probably a good choice to use for the wash.

I disagree with sddlw's advice to clay first or use a clear coat cleaner, polish or glaze. IMHO, it would be a waste of time and effort on your light colored car. (However, for a black or dark color, that advice might be valid.) I didn't do anything last April to my new brilliant silver E320 to prepare it for Zaino except wash it with blue Dawn. But I didn't lolligag after taking delivery. Since the dealer had just detailed the car, it was free of wax and whistle clean after the Dawn wash and ready for the Z-1 and Z-2.

Since then, I've applied 7 or 8 coats of Z-2, and last week I did the Z-1 and Z-2 repeat as recommended every six months or so by Sal Zaino. I use lots of Z-6 between Z-7 washes.

The results are fantastic. My MB is dazzling!! The brilliant silver finish is slick as can be -- even the dealer's service advisor asked me what I use to get the wet-look shine! And rain actually seems to help the finish; the water just slides off. I leave the wet car in the garage overnight, and the next morning it almost looks like it was washed! No water spots and almost no dirt or dust on the finish. BTW, I had mud guards installed, amd it really helps to keep the lower panels clean.

Let us know what you decide and the results.
  • Options
    I think we agree on everything but the need for a clay or clear coat cleaner. I really think it makes a difference, but the difference on a new car, that is properly washed will be .... incremental. That is if the dealer did a good job of prep work in getting the shipping grime off it.

However, just getting a high quality product on your car, let alone 7 or so coats of zaino will really make the difference. I've got 7 coats on my wifes' car, but only 3 on mine, as I am still finding the time to work on it. I think the whole process starts to max out somewhere between 5-7 coats. But even the first coat makes you stand back and say wow! And then your scratching your head wondering what it's gonna look like when you've done a few more. ..... well it looks like you poured liquid glass all over the car.

If you read all of Sal Zaino's product notes you'll come across some interesting stuff. The one that just amazes me is the effect of the direction you wipe as you apply, remove, and buff the finish. It really does make a slight difference in the depth of the shine. .......ok, so I'm a little obsessive/compulsive. The cars look great.
  • Options
    parboparbo Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 2001 E-320 4-matic for two weeks now, and all I can say is that I love it! Everything so far has been perfect, except for the experience at the dealership. The only thing that we had trouble with is with over-fill at the gas station, even though we tried to be very careful. One question, (well two actually) when I first start out when the engine is cold, and I'm going very slow, if I take my foot off the gas, the car stops
    completely, absolutely no idle. It is a weird feeling. Is this normal? Second, I called the
    800 Mercedes # two weeks ago, and requested an accessory catalog, and have not received it yet. I called my salesperson a week ago, and requested one, and still not received it. All I want is to order winter mats. Is there any other way to do this? Any help appreciated.
  • Options
    I've had my 2001 E-320 4-matic for two weeks now, and all I can say is that I love it! Everything so far has been perfect, except for the experience at the dealership. The only thing that we had trouble with is with over-fill at the gas station, even though we tried to be very careful. One question, (well two actually) when I first start out when the engine is cold, and I'm going very slow, if I take my foot off the gas, the car stops
    completely, absolutely no idle. It is a weird feeling. Is this normal? Second, I called the
    800 Mercedes # two weeks ago, and requested an accessory catalog, and have not received it yet. I called my salesperson a week ago, and requested one, and still not received it. All I want is to order winter mats. Is there any other way to do this? Any help appreciated.
  • Options
    jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    A lot of the discussion has been focused on how "wet" the car looks after a few coats of Zaino products. My concern is on the product whether it actually "protects" the paint surface. I reserched the Zainobros.com website and numerous posts here but did not see any discussion about the paint protection. Are there any Zaino products long time users out there that could give us some feedbacks? It won't give me any satisfaction if my car looks wet but the paint starts to fade away.
  • Options
    Are you saying the engine stalls after you take your foot of the gas at crawl speed?

As for the mats, visit www.clairparts.com for discounted Internet pricing on all MB accessories. If they don't have it online, e-mail or phone them and they should be able to give you more info. FYI, Clair Motors is a MB dealership in Boston.

Drew/aling
  • Options
    I got my winter mats at my dealer for $62 for set of 4. That is MB list price. Some people said they bought MB stuff from GAPA as well. Not sure what their website is. Maybe http://www.gapa.com . Buy the MB ones, don't buy those McNeil stuff, they don't fit as well and they are more expensive.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the quick response and the info. No, the car doesn't stall, it just stops with my foot not even on the brake. I'm just used to a little bit of crawl when I take my foot off the gas, and this car doesn't do it. I spent months reading all the responses on this e-class topic, and it really helped when making my decision on purchasing this vehicle. I do have to tell you, I did switch to the 4-matic after reading your recommendations. Thank again for all your help.
  • Options
    Glad that I could help. I really do think that the 4-matic is worth the money. After all, if you live in an area with inclemental weather (and even if you don't), you're already spending a significant amount of money on this vehicle, so why not spend a little more to get the added piece of mind and safety?

As for your question, the transmission is smart enough to know when engine braking is needed, and it won't upshift like other cars (it will hold a lower gear). Also, the AWD does add a little extra resistance to the driveline, hence probably causing it to slow down quicker than your previous vehicle (which I assume is 2WD) rather than free-wheeling. This completely normal, and perhaps just something to get used to.

FYI, the transmission is clever enough to know when to shift into another gear. You may have noticed that after shifting out of reverse and into drive, hitting the accelerator pedal doesn't necessarily move the car immediately. There is a 1/2 second delay because the tranmission makes sure that "Drive" is engaged properly before allowing you to accelerate. You can actually test this out by placing the car into Neutral and revving the engine to perhaps 2000 rpm. At 2000 rpm, lift off the gas completely and shift into Drive before the revs drop significant. You'll notice that D will not engage until the revs have dropped down to a safe level. Pretty nifty, and useful for keeping the transmission happy over the long term!

Enjoy the ride!
    Drew/aling
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to order the mats from my dealer first, although I'm sure if the MB list price is $62.00, my dealer will find a way to charge more. I did check out the site, Drew referred me to, and they were $69.00, also a good price. I'd better get moving. The weather is changing fast!
  • Options
    No problem, glad I can help you out. It seems like you can order it off the MB website as well.
    http://www.thecollection.mbusa.com/Accessories/catalog/Category.jhtml?CATID=420
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Protection -
    If you go through the Zaino forum, you will see that most people feel it gives the best protection they have every experienced. Love bugs and tar come right off, water beads like crazy after 6 months or more. Nothing seems to stick to it! Some posters have used it for 2 years or more and will never switch.

Clay -
    Even a brand new car with great paint will benefit from claying prior to the Zaino. You can't imagine how smooth the paint can be until you clay it. Then, the wiping on and off of the Zaino goes even easier and faster!!
  • Options
    I Just replaced the factory low beam bulbs with the Hella Optilux H7 55w bulbs.when both high and low beams are on, the Hella color looks whiter and brighter than the factory high beam. Their delivery to Canada took eight days and cost Can$ 57.60 plus Can$11.60 Customs Duty. And they are worth it.They will provide better night vision for the next two years until I get my next MB with factory installed Xenon lights. Very good service provided by Susquehanna MotorSports. Thank you Drew for this useful and excellent recommendation, do you have any else in the bag?
    Jean
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    If you put on 7 coats of anything, you're going to get a good shine, no matter what you put on. Probably some of the benefit is psychological, your mind is probably subconsciously justifying your ten hours of back breaking work.
This discussion has been closed.