Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    In the 99 E320 each back cover is retained to the assembly with two clips (I called them brackets)which must be pushed sideways in order to free the cover. Probably this difficult set up was redesigned on the y2k model. Also, There may be a slightly different configuration between USA and Canadian models because Canada models are lucky to have automatic headlights which are switched on when the shift is on gear.
    Drew: Can you please check yours, screw on cap or clips?
    By the way the dealer just replaced the leaking back covers with new ones under warranty. Great service performed within 10 minutes. Bite your tires Lexus.
    Jean
  • Options
    taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    Yes turbotc, it was very easy to change the bulbs. Once I realized that I didn't need to unscrew the metal assembly and only turn it, it was a cinch. Now I'm considering changing the two inner lights since they look so yellow compared to the main headlights. And I wouldn't mind changing the fog lights to match too if it isn't too difficult.

What would you guys out there recommend for the inner bulbs? The Hella ones also? Are they still selling that one?
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    If I'm looking at what I think I'm supposed to be looking at, they look like clips to me.

Drew
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    kilian1kilian1 Member Posts: 7
    I have the baby smart seat for my 4 to 7 year olds.

It worked great in a pinch when I need to put one child in the front passenger seat. It deactivates the air bag.

The seat is made by a company called Britax in South Carolina. They manufacture for Mercedes and Porsche. I purchased at the dealer for about $180.00. The seat had to be ordered.
  • Options
    turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    jean, yes they must have changed for the y2k models because you only need to use your hand and unscrew the plastic round cover and thats it. No brackets.

taison, according to the MB manual, it says that both the low beam (large) and the high beam (small) uses the same H7 55w Bulbs. I like mine as is. All 4 white bulbs would look "too much white" for me.
  • Options
    joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    autosupermart.com

Just received my first shipment of Zymol for my 01
    Porsche. Using something called Zymol Carbon for dark colors. They also have a product for light colors.

Also ordered Lexol for the interior.

I will give you an update on the results.

Autosupermart will match any Web price just provide them with the link. My zymol was $27.
    A friend of mine is tring the flavor that is $120.
    Seemed a big jump for a former Meguires user.

Best regards to all.
  • Options
    billc01776billc01776 Member Posts: 17
    My "lamp malfunction" warning light keeps going on when I turn on my headlights. I've checked and rechecked just about every light I can think of and everything seems to be OK. The manual states something about that in some instances alternate bulbs take over. Are there really back-up bulbs in some places? Do you think I might just have a faulty sensor? I already have a faulty "check engine" sensor. The dealer tells me that those sensors are on back order because so many of them are defective.

Bill
  • Options
    wenfenwenfen Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem. Took it to MB for a look see, They said the "tag light" was out, and ordered a new one, and made me an appointment for the next week. They too looked at all the exterior lights (brake, head etc.)and really couldn't explain the problem.
    Guess what... two days later, I was driving home late one night, and my ENTIRE DASH BOARD SUDDENLY WENT DARK.
    I immediately called the SOS and told them the problem (remember I was driving @ 75-78 MPH) and couldn't see my speedometer or anything. they said that they had never heard of anything like this happening, and told me to take the car in the next day...DUH
    Well ( you won't believe this), but after waiting 2 days for the shop supervisor to even look at my car (don't get me started on the overloaded service dept of my dealership) they told me that after taking the complete instrument panel off (they originally told me that they would have to order me a new one) it turned out that there are apparently 4 wires with plugs behind this panel, and Hans (who must have gone to the Octoberfest before he built my car) FORGOT to plug one in, and it actually came loose and that's why the lights suddenly went off.
    After having my car in the shop FIVE TIMES in this first year ( yes I have already had 3 sensors replaced too), and each time for almost one week.
    I am at my wits end on this 55K piece of @##%@#$
    Give me back my old Toyota Camry with 98K miles on it.!!! LOL

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    We have both a MB booster and an MB infant seat manufactured by Britax for MB. I highly recommend both seats but strongly disuade you from the in between "toddler" model. The toddler model is extremely un kid friendly (it has the large bolster across the middle) and a pain to use. I returned it to the dealer within hours!!!! As an FYI Britax sells many other models in better baby stores and they have much better seats that aren't BabySmart. You pay one heck of a premium for the BabySmart system like $300 plus for the booster and as Britax manufacturers for European cars the styling is really, really colorful - lots of yellow and red. Also the booster recently went through a recall. The people at our dealership know less than nothing about how to properly install the seats. I ended up taking the infant seat to a local better baby store and got some expert assistance. Hope this helps. PS They are supposed to be redesigning the seats but like all other MB redesigns - who knows!!!
  • Options
    albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Thanks. Clair parts quotes approx $140 for the booster, so it's not terribly out of line. Does the booster use the car belts only, or have its own as well? My son is 3-1/4 and not quite 40 lbs and very frisky. Want to make sure he'll be secure.
  • Options
    mck5770mck5770 Member Posts: 5
    It's been a good year for me of owning a new e430. Now 'tis the time to decide whether I want to buy MB's extended warranty. My initial thought is NOT to. But would like to hear your comments. (I think of owning my MB for a total of 6-8 years). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • Options
    ab20ab20 Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying one of these two cars. Any thoughts on the inline 6 vs. the V-6? I know both have similar transmissions (5-speed). I typically would opt for the newer car with the longer remaining warranty, but there may be a compelling reason to go with the time-tested inline 6. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    v6 is lighter, burns leaner with 3 valve technology and polutes lesss. Also less build up of polutants. We not talking al gore here either.
    I thing Wards automotive named it one of the best engine of 98. At that I'll stop and hope Drew can finish as he has done a great job here on the technical side. I shopped for a used E, and decided only 98 and beyond. Then '99 430 because of widow curtain (head airbag), then 2000 because of interior upgrades and rear air bags, as well as new electronics, and low and behold, smashed the budget by 13k, and just got a new 430. my thinking was 98 was new year for engine, so go with 99. but they had real no problems with the new engine. Seems fit and finish on new models, not drive train is a problem for new models. ML's of 98 and 99 were problematic, but not in the drive train and engine. Hope this helps and others contribute further than my technical limits allow.
  • Options
    swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    Smart you are not buying from the dealer (my unfortunate mistake). I had almost the exact same situation age/weight wise with our son. We put him in the booster before he was three and probably at 37-38lbs. I felt he was immediately safer moving to this seat then in our old Century SmartFit

The booster uses the cars' own belt and is designed so well that the shoulder harness and lap belt are perfectly positioned. No concerns about internal orgams being damaged in a colision. Its a snap to buckle the children in and out and best of all its extremely portable. Becasue it doesn't tether into the car permanently (that really concerned me initially but I got over it in a New York minute once I saw how tight our son was secured), you can move the seat from car to car without calling in the experts. The infant seat does tether and is not quite as easy to move from car to car.

My only complaint is the wild colors the fabric comes in. You have this luxe, rich looking car with this red/orange/yellow - Peter Max style car seat. My husband thinks I am insane to complain about the fabric but hey - I'm a girl.
  • Options
    vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Just took delivery of a new brilliant silver/ash E430 with E1, E2, COMAND, multi-contour, rear-shade this past week. The car looks just terrific, especially with the chrome head lamp rings. For those of you with brilliant silver color, these rings just make the car look so much classier. It blends in nicely with the chrome bumper strips.
    I had the dealer put in charcoal floor mats for a better color contrast so the whole interior won't look silver and its easier to keep clean.
    The 17 inch wheels and the Goodyear Eagles F1s make the car look very sporty. The handling has been concise with a good road-feel. Not quite up-to-par with the BMW, though. The road noise has been minimal.
    Having driven a '99 Lexus LS400 this past week, the MB ride seemed harsh, as is the MB seats even with the multi-countur. Its a compromise for the car not handling like a boat. I think the side boasters alone was worth the price, not to mention the multi-level lumbar support.
    The engine has been exceptionally smooth and quiet. I had to use the manual shifter just to hear the engine roar a little.
    Having used the DVD based Acura navi system, I now see why Edmunds criticized the COMAND. It takes about 3 turns or pushes of a button for every 1 that is needed to operate the Acura navi. Also, the Acura system has a wider screen, touch-screen, and has more information on the maps not to mention 1 DVD covers the entire USA. With that said, I still much rather have the COMAND than not. It works just fine after learning its quirks. It definitely gets easier over time.
    Ideally, I would like to have a car with the MB exterior and handling but a Lexus interior and electronics. Overall, I've been very pleased with my purchase. Its a beautiful car with the performance to match.
  • Options
    need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    Is MBZ going to change COMAND to a DVD based system any time soon?
  • Options
    Nope. Not next model year, according to my sources if that's what your wondering. Don't expect it for another couple of years at least! Perhaps when the new E-class arrives for MY2003?

Drew
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    wenfenwenfen Member Posts: 4
    From personal experience,and considering all the major and minor problems I have had with my Y2K E320, and the various problems other fellow Y2K MB owners have had. I say GO FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY.
    I even asked my service manager about this, and he said that if he ever owned "one of this cars" he wouldn't hesitate to purchase the extended warranty, even if he was considering keeping the car one day over the 4 year current warranty. Why you ask. Because he told me that there are sooooo many sensors and sophisticated electronics let alone mechanical things (ie...things that can go wrong)and that they are very very expensive to fix. So with my financial and legal background it makes sense to me to go ahead and spend the $2500 or so, which in the long run may really end up being a bargain.
    Other case in point...this is the first and only car that I would say the extended warranty is a MUST and not really a consideration. I base this on the dependability (or lack there of)factor of these cars.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Logic can tie one in knots,but here goes.Buying an extended warranty seems to be a bet,a bet that you will end up having to use the warranty(it seems too expensive to be merely "peace of mind"}.And if one has that little faith in the product,should perhaps another product be purchased instead?I have admired Mercedes for years,and am on the brink of buying a new E320.So don't think I am bashing the car.But to me $2500 is a fair amount to be throwing away.I am not so naive to think the car is made of granite-service is expensive.I am stunned,though,how often these extra warranties come up.If the car can be that demanding,then I am not sure the car is really what I've held it to be.
  • Options
    I agree with Wenfen. I say go for the extended warranty. Attention to those of you who are in Canada, unlike our US friends, we can purchase the extended warranty anytime as long as it is within the 4 years of the new car warranty.

If the extended warranty is purchased within the first 2 years of the car's life, an inspection is unnecessary. After that, they will check the car out. However, this is not really a big deal anyway since if there are any problems whatsoever, it will be fixed under your 4 year/80K kms new car warranty!!

So, what I recommend (and what I'm going to do) is to purchase the extended warranty perhaps a month or so before the new car warranty expires. This way, any problems will be covered free of charge, and you won't have to spend the money on the extended warranty ahead of time! Again, this only applies to those of us who are in Canada.

Hope this helps!
    Drew/aling
    Edmunds.com Townhall host
  • Options
    parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Starting to get some snow in MN now. First time I've driven a rwd car in years. Just for kicks, I tried to make my 00 E320 do a donut in a parking lot. Stepped on the gas and cranked the wheel hard right without letting up on gas. The car started to fishtail just a tad and then corrected itself. Pretty cool. Guess the system works OK, and I am running Artic Alpin tires.

Went to the dealer yesterday for my first oil change (4900 miles) and I switched to Mobil 1.
    I just feel a little bit more comfortable going 10k miles without an oil change by using Mobil 1 instead of regular oil.
    I also noticed that after changing the oil, the FSS indicator changed from needs service in 6200 miles to needs service in 7000 miles. Guess it knows when there's fresh oil put in.

BTW..MY headlight washers froze up on me. Dealer unfroze them and put in different washer fluid. They said to buy the fluid that's good to -25 or better, not the cheap .99 stuff. Kinda funny because I haven't bought any fluid at all. Still using the stuff that came with the car. They must put in the cheap stuff right from the factory.
    I thought the nozzles were supposed to be heated !!
  • Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I appreciate the info concerning extended warranty in Canada. Is it available for two years only or longer and what is the cost in loony. Just in case Wall Street keeps racing in the wrong direction. Thanks.
    Jean
  • Options
    mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I'm still on a kick to try to buy a Canadian C. As has been said Mercedes won't let Canadian dealer sell new cars to US buyers. What is the deal on used ones? Do you guys have to pay the tax again on used ones. What I'm trying to find out is do used ones have the tax built into their price or do you as a Canadian buyer lose the money you spent on the tax if you sell it used? Wht I'm really trying to find out is are used ones cheaper than new ones or is the guy buying the used one paying some of the tax that the guy who bought it new paid?
  • Options
    bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    I have yet to hear anybody whom has an answer to this:

Why does the E-class have an air vent inside the console box??

If you don't have an educated anwser, a good guess would suffice. Perhaps we can also have a contest for the most creative.
  • Options
    bargamon2bargamon2 Member Posts: 39
    In the E-class brochure, there is mention of a "sun sensor." Does anyone know what this is??
  • Options
    jason64jason64 Member Posts: 50
    I think the idea is to keep something cold in the console box because the temperature inside the box is just a few degrees cooler than the rest of the cabin. Just my guess. BTW, the 80's BMW 6 series coupe has a "refrigerator" in the rear seat arm rest - same concept?
  • Options
    sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    My experiences with earlier E and SL class cars would suggest that an extended warranty will probably pay for itself. Actually, it would have saved me quite a bit of money :-(
    These cars are fantasitc driving machines, but they are like thoroughbred horses. The cash outlay doesn't end with the purchase, and they like to be pampered.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    That is probably the little sensor that controls the level of brightness of the control panel displays. I've noticed when going under some trees on the back roads (this is New England where the trees tend to take over all empty spaces) that the LED's in the panel get dimmer. This is what it does at night also. In my 96, it is mounted in a little housing on top of the dashboard in the center and as far forward as it can go under the window.
  • Options
    It works both ways. Keeps melty things like candy bars cool in summer, and keeps other things like palm pilots, camera's etc warm in winter.
    Creative uses could be...beer cooler or hot dog warmer.
  • Options
    wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    My understanding of the Sun Sensor is to regulate the A/C in the summer when the sun is beating in through the front of the car. With the sun shining directly on you, one is going to feel warmer than what the sensor in the car determines what the cabin temp is. It automatically will tend to keep you a bit cooler under these conditions.
    Wally
  • Options
    clarkcaclarkca Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some information from current Benz owners.
    My husband and I are currently looking into buying a Mercedes, which would be my car. I was primarily interested in the CLK430, but judging from what I've read in other forums, the dealers are gouging the prices because they're hard to find, and the waiting lists are months long. I have no intention of paying even a single cent over MSRP. That put an end to the CLK. Now I looking at the E430, I want the bigger engine, ie more power. What can you current owners tell me about the difference in power between the E320 and E430.
    I have also heard talk of new styling for the E-class as of the 2002 models, and that they're going to be more like the C and S-Class. This would maKe it better to wait. Anyone have any information about this style change?
  • Options
    sddlwsddlw Member Posts: 361
    I'm not sure if the E-changeover is 2002 or 2003, but be sure that the cars will be hard to get the first year, with waits and higher pricing.
  • Options
    cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    Check out the following website:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9323/index2.html

This is the M-B Enthusiast's page, and translates many articles from German car mags, etc. They have photos purported to be spy photos of the new E-Class, and you may be able to divine when it might be introduced here in the states.
  • Options
    fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    Until recently I owned a '00 CLK430 Cabriolet (sold it for more than I paid for it). I own an '01 E320 and have driven E430s.
    I like the power of the CLK430 and E430 (same engine, I believe). But for the price difference in the 2 E class models I took the E320. Granted, it doesn't have quite the acceleration of the V8, but I have found it to be more than adequate, fun even. For example, I have not yet been in a situation where I felt more power would have gotten me out of a jamb. And traveling at 70 mph it gets close to 30 mpg!
    That said, some folks just like the ability to blast down the road faster than they need to. If you are one of those, get the E430. ( I used to have fun with passengers in the CLK - I would put the hammer down and listen to them gasp).
    On the other hand, if you want to save some money on initial cost, gasoline, insurance, etc. and still get a great car go for the E320.
  • Options
    valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    This car is more fun to own today than when purchased 10 months ago. Now that all the "Bugs"
    have been worked out the car is a joy to drive.

I prefer the ride of the M-B to the Lexus. Edmunds' reviewers agree the LS430 is too soft and disconnected from the road. The GS430 suffers from body roll and Japanese styling.

This is the only car I have ever owned that I enjoy more now than the day I purchased it. I rate the car as outstanding in almost every category except the electronics. I give M-B an "average" mark in that area. The body integrity, fit and finish are superb. This car will last a long, long time.

Like some in this forum, I plan on trading/selling my E430 for the new "E" Class. For me, the 2004 model E-55 is a distinct possibility. I hope M-B does not cheapen
    the "vault-like" feeling of the E-Class. As for ride characteristics, the E is very smooth compared to the BMW 5 series.

Overall, I like this car very much and would buy another.
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with either car.
    However, the E430 costs an extra $5000 and gets poorer gas mileage.
    The E320 has plenty of guts (even for me),costs less to operate, and is just as fun to drive.
    If money is no object and you need that extra 7 tenths of a second (0-60) then go for the 430.
  • Options
    P.S. Let us know what you decide ;-)
  • Options
    vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Acutally, there's about a $4,000 price difference between the two when you take into accout the E320 metallic paint and Bose surcharges. For the extra $4K, you get a V8 engine and 17 inch wheels. Personally, I didn't like the 16 inch wheels on the E320. The 17 inch ones look much nicer and sportier. Just my opinion. As far as the ride, both cars will provide you with plenty of power. I opted for the V8 since it gives a smoother ride and less engine noise during cruising speed. As far as the milage, a few more MPG here and there shouldn't be a overriding factor for a 50K car. Both cars will give excellent performance. Its a win/win situation.
  • Options
    I drove both cars over and over before deciding and purchased the E320. Yes the E430 was quicker off the line but the E320 was plenty powerful for me. Keep in mind that the extra $5000 includes the bigger engine, bigger wheels and tires, and metallic paint. Unless you buy either a black or a white E320, you will pay that $600 +/- for the metallic paint that comes standard on the E430. Either car will look and drive great.
  • Options
    I guess both my response and vp16 response came at the same time so its like I basically repeating what he is saying
  • Options
    Can't say I agree with vp16 about engine noise, but I do agree on the 17" rims. They look a lot nicer. I bought the 17" sport rims and put them on my E320. Looks great :-)

Wow..look at all those responses.
  • Options
    rab5rab5 Member Posts: 12
    There are two sun sensors. One is the small amber "dot" that is located just below the pivot point of your gas gauge needle. This controls the brightness of the FSS/temp/time/ odometer display. Try shinning a flashlight on it and you'll see. The brighter the ambient light, the brighter this display. The other is center of dash cover near windshield. This sensor feeds info to A/C to allow for solar levels (heating) coming into car.
  • Options
    My once dream car was an M5 but (1) I'm getting tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic (current car an M3), and have a 30-40 mile commute; and (2) the M5 is cramped compared to an E, both in rear seat room and trunk space. So, for those who have actually driven an E430 and E55, how much ride penalty is there to pay? Is the E55 noticeably harsher? Would it be so harsh that I'd not want to live with after a while? (I'm curious also how it compares to my current ride. I would like it to be a bit smoother but am of course spoiled by the grip of the M3.) How much quicker is it in acceleration? Really significantly or just noticeably? Unlike the $4000 or so between an E320 and E430, the jump is about $15k ($20k if you're comparing an E320). For that money, I could get an S class, though it's a different car entirely.
  • Options
    4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    I haven't driven the E430, but have driven the 540i and GS430. The difference between the E55 and those cars is really quite dramatic in my opinion.

Ride of the E55 is totally acceptable, probably less harsh than your M3. The lack of squeaks and rattles makes the E55's stiffer ride easy to live with.

The E55 with those 18 in wheels does have loads of grip and amazing braking performance. However, the steering is quite light especially at slow speed which takes some getting used to. I would say the steering does not offer the same communicative feel as a 3-series. The advantage of the light steering is that you feel totally at home driving others around even if you're stuck in heavy traffic.

Compared to an S-class, the E55 is much more nimble as you can imagine. I also considered an S-class but actually don't find the short wheel base version that much roomier than the E-class. The E-class seems to have more headroom in the front as well.

I agree with you, the 5-series is totally cramped in the back.
  • Options
    valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    The E-55 is actually a better value than the E430 Sport. Let me explain. My E430 Sport with E1,E2, multicontour seats, and K2a has a MSRP in excess of $60,000. For about $8,000-9,000 more you can buy the exclusive E-55. The E-55 is a lmited production vehicle which will maintain its value better than a E430.

The exclusive nature of the E-55 combined with its raw power makes this E-Class vehicle the one to own. Still, $70,000 plus is a significant sum of money.
  • Options
    4426444264 Member Posts: 67
    I agree with valueguy 100%.
  • Options
    emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    My 99 E320 also had groaning brakes at near stop. It went away after about 5000 miles. Good luck.
  • Options
    emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    I would go with the V-6, (98 and newer). I've had both and appreciate the smooth and quick low end of the V-6.
  • Options
    bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Both cars are great, and new 01' wheels are styled very nice. Upgrade to 16 inch, very nice and tracks better than 99' w/15inch. !17's on 420 going to be a little louder, a little harshers, but better grip. Tire wear on 17's going to be less. Basically 430 gonna run about 4-5 grand more. I got a brand new 430 for exactly 51k. It was the stripped version with only sunroof and sensor wipers. I did not want the extras as much as I wanted that motor. There is nothing wrong with the 320 and if I could not get a v8, I would have not had a moment of regret with the 320. But 7.1 seconds 0-60 vs. 6.2 is a big difference. the E-55 will do it in 5.4 seconds. So basically, 4 grand shaves off 9/10ths of a second, but if you want another 8/10ths, you have to go about 20 grand more. My point, if you love the car, get a 320, if you love driving with an effortlessly smooth rush, get the 430. There is no need for the extra HP, except the once in a while decadent self absorbed rush.
  • Options
    I hadn't considered that. I take, then, that the E1,E2,multicontour seats, and K2a packages are already included in the E55? It does then seem right that the E55 is a better long term value. The math on my M3 was very similar, as it included leather sport seats and other extras that were optional on the then 328i, which narrowed the price difference (assuming they weren't discounting the 328; they sure weren't discounting the M3), and then it's been holding its value better than a std. 3. Still, $72k (assuming MSRP w/no dealer markup) is a lot...maybe when (if?) the stock market recovers in the spring (is this election ever going to be over???)...
This discussion has been closed.