Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Options
    jimr97jimr97 Member Posts: 13
    garnes - Do you happen to know if the Caddy's use the same transmission and transaxle as the Aurora. The Caddy's have a bit more room up front so I'm thinking they might have larger driveline components. Perhaps a smaller drivetrain on the Aurora is why the torque management for acceleration is needed. Pure speculation of course. I'm somewhat surprised that more Aurora performance pieces aren't available. The engine has been the bases for one of the spec engines in the Indy Racing League since the series started and there have a couple of Aurora Indy 500 Pace cars as well. I wonder how different the heads are on the Caddy STS. While I can see the extra 25 hp of the SLS coming from the extra 600cc of displacement, I'm thinking the extra hp in the STS comes from a different camshaft profile. I wonder if these cams will fit in the Aurora heads.
  • Options
    hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    On paper, the trade sucks! Count on loosing about $12K off the '01 sticker on trade-in. In my case, with the GMO price (from my brother), the $1500 loyalty coupon, the $1000 rebate, and the fact the I had put up the depreciation as a down payment a year ago, I was able to lower my monthly payment $9 with no out of pocket cash. I had made only one payment on the '01 (got the defered loan), it only had the three year warranty, and it had been hit by a little old lady back in February. If you want a couple more features, you would be better off looking at an '01 still on a dealer lot, or a "program car" of some sort. It is going to be a long time before Oldsmobiles catch up with other cars in terms of trade-in values. We plan to keep the 2002s (Aurora & Silhouette) a long time, Oldsmobile and the warranty will both have expired by the time we are ready to trade again.
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Jimr97 - I'm not a gear head, and just get into this stuff a little, so I'm aware that my understanding of how everything works may not be complete. However, in response to your questions - the Caddy STS and the 95 through 99 Aurora (autobahn package) and ALL 2001 and newer Aurora 4.0's have the 3.71 transaxle. I'm assuming they are the same transaxle used throughout. The regular Aurora in 95 through 99 had a 3.48 transaxle - which is still pretty aggressive. Oh yeah, the Aurora has a slightly longer wheelbase than the Caddy STS too. 113.8 vs 112.2??, and is longer overall, so maybe the Aurora has at least the same amount of room. The 113.8 is shared with the Riviera I think.

I've been told that the difference between the STS and the SLS is indeed the cam and the SLS has a "slower" transaxle - it doesn't have the 3.71. Actually, when you look at the power curves for the STS and SLS, the 275 HP SLS has more HP and torque throughout most of the RPM range. The STS just peaks higher at the very high rpms for HP only. I really wonder if the 3.71 in an SLS would not be quicker than a stock STS. I really think it might. If you factor the 4.0 for size, it would put out about 288 HP and 299 ft-lbs of torque if it was a 4.6. It's really kind of got the best of both worlds of the STS and SLS engine when looking at power and torque/cu. in. I'm assuming the heads are basically the same here as well, and I would not wager anything on that assumption.

These engines are really very similar with slight differences in the cam and the 4.0 just has a smaller bore. Most everything else is the same.

The 4.0 is just a great engine, perhaps one of GM's all time best to date. The fun thing is that there is some extra power potential in these engines because they are literally "bottled up" at the induction and exhaust to keep the noise down at all rpm's. I've noticed some better performance by opening up the air box and then using a K&N to take advantage of the better box. When the warranty is out, I'm opening the bottom of the box even bigger by cutting the metal underneath. Maybe the performance is in my head, but I do hope to get to the dyno one of these days to experiment. I've also ordered the Granatelli mass air flow meter. They claim 10 to 15 HP at the rear wheels. They have graphs of the 5.7 in the Escalade gaining 18 HP at the wheels. I'll be happy if the 10 is true for the Aurora 4.0. My hopes of improved performance are as follows:

Improved air box with K&N - 5 min. at wheels

Mass air flow sensor - 10 min. at wheels

Cat back exhaust - 10 to 15 at wheels

Total - 25 HP to 30HP at wheels.

25HP/0.8 or 30/0.8 (losses) = 31 to 38 HP at the engine (for reference)

If torque is increased similarly, then you could look at it as a 280 to 288 HP and 290+?? torque Aurora.

I know you really can't add them because the improvements might not generate the increase at the same rpm, but the performance should be there just the same.

I don't think this is a radical change, and I think the increased performance could be realized without the computer interfering.
  • Options
    johnny34johnny34 Member Posts: 5
    I just aquired my fathers 1995 OLDS AURORA.
    It has 177000 highway miles.
    Just recently, the transmision is now stuck in second gear while in drive, and will not shift up into any other gear rendering the car undriveable.
    My local dealer estimates the repair of anywheres
    from $400to$4000 dollars to repair.
    They are uncertain of the real problem, all they seam to want to do is sell me a different car; giving me a trade in of $1000 (not!!!) They won't give me a straight answer; I feel they know that it might be a simpler problem than what it really is and want this car, the tech seams quite interested in it, I don't want to sell it!! I want to drive it and keep this unique vehical!!!
    The transmision was recently flushed by another AURORA dealer within the last 3 months if this helps at all.

Any help or direction to save this incredible automobile from service diaster would be greatly appreciated.(do you know any tricks I could do)

I am capable of doing most of the work myself, also, if anyone has info on where I could locate good repair manuals (dealer manuals) that would also help.
  • Options
    johnny34 - I'd get another opinion, and then another and then another. I don't know about do it yourself tranny work - on an Aurora too. Sounds scary to me. I'd save that project for the 31st.

Sounds like that dealer just wants the car. How has the service been from the rest of the car during the 177,000? Curious.
  • Options
    You can get the 1996 GM transmission repair manuals from http://www.helminc.com they don't have the 1995 specific one, but 1996 should do. It is only $40 plus tax and shipping. These are the original, complete tear it apart and put it back together manuals. I have the 1999 version (bought for our Silhouette) so if there any specific questions, I could look them up. The transmission manuals (about 4,000 pages) cover all manual & automatic transmissions for a given year. Each model service manual ($120) has a good transmission section, but not as complete as the unit repair manual.
  • Options
    jwadlejwadle Member Posts: 12
    I hope someone out there can help me. I have a 97 Aurora, and I want to replace the rear shocks. I can just replace them with the stock units, but I think that the Air shocks are too bouncy. I found a pair of shocks that would fit, but when I took out the old shock and I could not remove the lower mounting bracket. This is the bracket that goes through the "eye" of the shock at the bottom. Then the bracket gets bolted to the A-Arm. All I need is that bracket. I have called the dealer and they said that they do not sell that part separate; it comes bolted to the shock. I called around to several other parts stores and they could not help me either. Has anyone replaced the rear shocks yet, with a shock other than the stock Air? If you have what shock did you replace it with, and did the part come with the shock.
    If you did replace it with the stock air shock, did it bounce less after.

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I can get GM's Major Guard to extend 3 years/75K for $1600 for my 98 Aurora with 42K now. Anyone have experience with this?
  • Options
    taurichtaurich Member Posts: 3
    I recently had my 1998 in for the 50k service and complained that it "washboarded" during slow speed manuevers. I had taken it in 25000 miles ago and complained of the same issue. This time they told me it was a known problem and they changed one of the power steering hoses. The problem is now gone. Has anyone else experienced this? I am amazed that the prognosis came so quickly and disappointed that it was not fixed a year ago.

I also had to have the alternator changed out due to a "ghosty" sound attributed to a bearing failure. Although I had 51K on the car, it was covered under warranty. Pretty happy with my olds dealer - too bad I won't be able to buy a car from them when I am due.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    What is washboarding?
  • Options
    joeoldsjoeolds Member Posts: 39
    How is everyone? Just got done scanning over the last two months posts.

Zinc- Thanks for info on RPM @ 139. Our car shuts down @ 108 or so (non-autobahn).

My recommendation on battery replacement would be to stick with AC Delco. They are the only batteries I've ever owned that made it to or exceeded their "rated" life. ie 60 months, 72 months.

It appears that most of the owners report oil consumption between changes. Maybe we're just lucky, but no oil consumption between changes.

Our 98 now has over 32,000 miles (was purchased 0n 12-30-00 with just over 19,000 miles).

No other maintenance problems. We did replace tires at around 23-24 K because one of the originals was beginning to come apart.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Henry, I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but I've observed, if the car is just slightly rolling, and I crank the steering wheel, it "wobbles" back and forth quite a bit. I believe I read a similar complaint on www.nhtsa.gov on this. I'll get this looked at during my next appointment...

I changed dealers for servicing my Aurora (because my water pump seized and died in my driveway a couple of weeks ago, and it made sense to have it towed to the dealership that was 1 mile away, as opposed to the one 10 miles away where I bought the car). The new dealership is fantastic. Not only did they fix the water pump in half a day, when I had the car in for service this week, they did a complete replacement of my rear window external seal and clip (the other dealer had just glued the clip on 3 times, and each time it came undone within a month).

They are also fixing my "horn sensitivity" problem... just touching the center part of the steering wheel causes the horn to sound. The previous dealer never looked at it, just said there was nothing they could do. I think it helped that, before I even talked to the service adviser, when he was in the car trying to get the mileage, he touched the steering wheel and honked the horn, and just about jumped through the roof. It didn't take much to convince him that it needed to be fixed, so they're replacing the whole airbag (of course, they have to wait for the airbag assembly to ship UPS ground because explosive devices can't be flown in :-)

--Robert

P.S. If anyone reading this is in the Milwaukee area, I'd suggest avoiding Renner Olds for service, and going to Kuettner Olds/GMC... night and day difference.
  • Options
    silotwosilotwo Member Posts: 27
    Nice to see some posts as a sign we a returning to living. Even though the 95 and most of the things I enjoy don't seem as important these days, they're still part of a life that needs to move on.

Just got back from a trip to the northwest, talked my way into a Buick Regal at the rental counter. Looked nice at first, comfy leather, nice stereo, peppy response to the throttle, tight steering, and only 6,000 miles on it. Didn't take but 30 miles to be annoyed at all the road noise inside the car, not much longer till the plastic rattles could be heard above the stereo. Drove her 600 miles round trip and sure did wish I had my 95 instead. The best was today, with no time to spare to make my flight, pack the car, buckle up, and the battery is dead.

And I worry that my 95 is old and that with 62,000 miles on her trouble could be just around the corner. Have even been looking at later models with low mileage thinking I should trade up, but either the color is not for me or I notice loose trim or hanging window seals. And, I like not making car payments.

Well, tonight when I fired up the 95 and left the airport it made that Buick Regal seem like a Geo Metro. By comparison, the 95 didn't seem old at all. Just goes to show that when it came to the build of the Aurora, GM definitely did it better.

By the way, air travel was smoother than ever, definitely more serious, but no delays, late baggage, or snippy airline attendants. Guess it helps when they don't operate way beyond capacity and suddenly realize that the customer is essential to their survival. If only my local Olds dealer understood that. LOL

Stay safe and enjoy.
  • Options
    gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    Just curious on how many miles on the car when the water pump seized up?
  • Options
    I replaced my shocks for my 95 in May because my right side was leaking with Gabriel Hijackers from Auto Zone. These were air shocks for the load leveling. The only thing I had to do was mount the top nut inside the trunk and put the bolt thru the bottom and plug in the air hose. No bracket to mess with.
  • Options
    I think I may have this, but it is so minor that I really have not been worried about it.

When driving very slow and making a turn (like into your driveway or garage) I feel a slight vibration sometimes. I have wondered about the power steering because of this. I never feel this in traffic.

So, is this the washboarding? Should I indeed have something done about it?
  • Options
    matrixfrogmatrixfrog Member Posts: 180
    May car also makes that vibration when turning slow. I thought maybe it was my brake rotors but now that I think of it I dont remember applying the brakes when it happend this morning.
  • Options
    Sorry about the use of the term without defining it. When I turned at slow speeds, it seemed like I was going over a washboard - lots of steering wheel vibration (quick pulsations).

I have discussed it with 2 different dealerships and have had the tires balanced a dozen times to no avail.

As soon as the warranty was up, about an hour after I brought it in I got "the phone call" indicating that it was a power steering hose. I asked them to check their records because I had discussed this with them before. I also asked that they contact the zone rep. to see if this shouldn't be covered under warranty. To their credit the hose and a new alternator (old one had a bearing going out) were approved to the tune of about 712 bucks.

Apparently the original hose is too short and a replacement part was installed - and worked. I asked if there was a TSB on the problem and he said there was.

However, I still have a vibration at 60 mph - 80 mph that they attribute to "high spots" on the tires.

Can't complain about my dealer he has treated me decently.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    gisom, I had approximately 34,800 miles on it when the water pump went out. I was leaving for work at around 8 a.m., reached in and started the car (I needed to take some things out of the trunk), and heard a horrible squealing sound. I thought to myself "that's not good", just as the warning bells sounded. I looked over at the DIC and it said "low coolant", so I just shut her off and called Olds. Of course, it took an hour to get a flatbed over to tow the car the 1 mile to the dealer, and, while that happened, I had major chaos going on at work (a network switch failed, causing our VoIP phone system to go down, etc.). It rains, it pours...

Coincidentally, my mother-in-law's Aurora had its water pump fail (last Election evening :-) with 34,900 miles on it. I'm wondering if that's a trend. At least both were covered under warranty.

Hey taurich, if you still have your repair/work order, can you list the part number for the power steering hose? I'll get this fixed when I get my airbag module replaced.

Re: the TSB on the steering, there are actually 2:
    Make:  OLDSMOBILE Model:  AURORA Year:  1998
    Service Bulletin Number:  990232008 Bulletin Sequence Number:  837 Date of Bulletin:  09/99

NHTSA Item Number:  SB608379
    Component:  STEERING
    Summary:

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT ABOUT A STEERING SHUDDER DURING SLOW SPEED TURNING / PARKING MANEUVERS. *TT

Make:  OLDSMOBILE Model:  AURORA Year:  1998
    Service Bulletin Number:  990232008A Bulletin Sequence Number:  193 Date of Bulletin:  05/01

NHTSA Item Number:  SB619379
    Component:  STEERING
    Summary:

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT ABOUT A STEERING SHUDDER DURING SLOW SPEED TURNING / PARKING MANEUVERS. *TT

Hope this helps someone,

--Robert
  • Options
    Robert, I will try to remember to bring it in with me on Monday and get the part number to you.
  • Options
    ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    How did the rebate checks for purchases of post-96 Oldsmobiles work? I remembered it as being something like $1000 in cash or $1500 off the purchase of another GM car. My dad was the original owner of a 96 Aurora, which I bought from him in December. Neither of us heard anything from Oldsmobile, so he contacted the dealer he bought the car from and was told the rebate was the only option. Is that correct?
  • Options
    My 95 went out at around 72000. I thought that there might be a pattern at about that mileage but I see it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    My 98 has only 22k on it and the water pump was replaced at about 20k. It started leaking just a little so I brought it in. So maybe I have the record on the water pump. What is the reputation of the longevity of the dealer replaced pumps?? Am I good for a long long time now??

Hammen2 - thanks for the service info on the shudder. I'll call the dealer about it. Maybe I should address this as long as the warranty is still going. It's really minor, but hey, if it can be eliminated I'll do it.
  • Options
    pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    My 95 had its pump replaced at 14,500. It has 58,000 on it now and it shredded the belt 1000 miles ago, but the pump has held on.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Dealer is correct. Rebate is the only option. If you purchase another Oldsmobile, you get $1,500 off (a little more if you buy an Aurora, I believe $2,000. They may have changed that since the rebate annoucement.). Otherwise, it's $1,000 off the purchase of any other GM vehicle (excluding Saab, Hummer).
  • Options
    Blk97 and Jimr, I hope you guys are out there.

I ran the 98 autobahn on the dyno to see what the air induction improvements really did. This is what I tested:

Baseline - Stock air box with new paper filter:
    189/190 HP and 204 ft-lbs torque (at the rear wheels)

New K&N in a stock air box: +7 to peak HP!
    +4 to peak torque.
    (this is 3.7% better. K&N claimed 2 to 4% increase, so hats off to K&N!)

The K&N basically lifted the whole HP and torque curve in its basline shape with a little extra boost in some places. Between 5300 rpm and 5800 the torque curve was +6 and +7. I'm not sure much was done for the low end torque - I think just 2. The torque curve was fattened up or flatened out at the higher rpms. There was 3 and 4 more HP past 4000 rpms all the way to about 5200 where it opened up to +7 from 5360 to about 5720.

Modified air box with new K&N: +1 Peak HP(at best)
    +3 Peak torque

The air box mods affected power differently. While the peak HP barely increased, there was about 2 to 4 more HP past 4000 rpm, and between 4640 and 4870, the HP was up +6. In short, the HP curve was much fatter with more power throughout the rpm range - just not much at the peak. In fact, at about 4800, the HP seems to be 8 to 10 greater than stock! So this was much better than it seems from just looking at peak HP. The torque was equally impressive. In that same range - 4640 to 4870, torque was up +6 to +8!! For some reason, the air box mod takes the peak of the torque curve and simply extends it out another 230 or so rpms before tailing off like the stock curve and the K&N only curve.

In short, the total mods give +8 peak HP, +7 torque, and as much +8 or +9 torque in other areas of the curve. The increases can be seen throughout the curves as well.

Dividing these rear wheel increases by what seems to be efficiency of .76 for HP and .785 for torque, you get over 10 peak HP and 9 more peak torque with 11 or so more torque in other parts of the curve. This is of course engine HP for reference. The wheels is what counts.

Maybe I'll dyno the mass air flow sensor, and the cat back too when I get them. I do see a need to remove those lateral braces on the top of the air box on the one side. There is probably a lot of turbulence from it. I'll smooth out the sharp edge on the circular opening too. Also, the bottom of the box could be opened up much bigger.

I hope this is of some interest to some of you.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    This may be a stupid question BUT . . . .

Why would your take your measurements at the rear wheels on a front wheel drive car?????
  • Options
    Oops - change rear to front. Just habit. Sorry.
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    garnes,

I am surprised and impressed by the amount of increase for the K&N; I didn't figure the increase would actually be higher than advertised. This helps explain my 7.4-second 0-60 times.

I am not surprised by the increases due to your air box modifications, as I have observed the same intake restriction problems. Keep up the good work! I'm still trying to find a used air box so I can make similar modifications; money is too tight right now to buy a new one.

Has anyone tried the MSD DIS-4 multiple discharge ignition?

My gas gauge has become inaccurate. When the tank is filled, the gauge indicates full. At about 1/2 tank, the gauge "floats" between full and empty, sometimes going from one to the other in 10 seconds, than back again. I assume the problem is the sender in the tank. Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Does anyone know of GM dealers who sell parts at less than MSRP?
  • Options
    I put in a set of pioneer 3 way speakers in rear. Definetly a difference of magnet size and sound. This took about a half hour to install. I could only find some rockford-fosgate speakers in stock to fit in the front doors. This install took 2 hours in the front because you have to take off screws for the door panel, the speakers and I had to go back to the store to buy a speaker wire harness kit for $6 to plug in the speakers. I decided to replace the speakers in the front because they would sound like they were busted at times. Now I have a very nice sound going on. Speaker cost $92 for rear, $84 for fronts.
  • Options
    I am still trying to get updated cup holders. Do I need to replace the individual cup holder section or what?
  • Options
    Hopefully, the curves will be on Caddyinfo.com soon. I'd post them here if I knew how.
  • Options
    jimr97jimr97 Member Posts: 13
    garnes - thanks for the dyno numbers. It's nice to see K&N is honest about their performance numbers. I wonder if that vortex? gas saver insert they advertise on TV really lives up to the advertised numbers. On one commercial they were claiming an additional 20 hp. Anyone ever try one of these? The +7 hp is certainly a start. Although with a 4000 lb car it probably won't make too much difference in acceleration. It'll be interesting to see what the cat back system does. I used to have a 93 Taurus SHO and the cat back made a big difference. Thanks for posting your results. It is definitely appreciated.

blk97aurora - My 97 also had the same problem with the gas gauge. It did turn out to be the sending unit. I had it replaced under warranty. If I remember correctly the new unit was around $500.00.

Speaking of warranty, my extended factory warranty will be up soon. What is the consensus for the best non-factory warranty?
  • Options
    redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    my father's Aurora had that problem with the fuel gauge. We never bothered to get it fixed though because the lease was almost up.
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Thanks for the input on my gas gauge problem. $500 is scary.

Had an interesting experience on my way home from work today. Stopped at red light in left lane. Bright red 2001 V6 Cougar pulls up on right. Light turns green and we both hit it. I had 3/4 car-length lead until I shut down to turn left into my development. As the driver passed me, his arm emerged from the car and gave me a "thumbs up." Or was it another finger? Road and Track lists the V6 Cougar at 7.8 seconds 0-60.
  • Options
    You can check out my Aurora dyno results on http://www.caddyinfo.com Then click on Cadillac performance - Cadillac modification for, then click on Northstar 4.0 intake ...

Jimr and Blk97 check out the curves and note the big boost of power between 4600 rpm and 4900 rpm. The total gain in that range I estimate to be about +10 HP in some spots and +10 ft-lbs of torque. And remember this is at the wheels. The peak numbers are increased a total of +8 HP and +7 torque, but that is really only half the story. The added power throughout the power curves by making both improvements is great for such simple improvements. I need to get a print out of the baseline plotted against both improvements together for the 3rd gear run. I do have this comparison shown for all three gears - but it turns out to be on a smaller scale.

I will add the mass air flow sensor in the near future and will probably dyno it. Then I will do the cat-back exhaust system and probably dyno that too. I'm still hoping for a 290 HP, 300 ft-lb Aurora that is still internally stock. If the other two improvements live up to their claims, it will happen and maybe more.

Oh yeah, eventually, I'm going to open that hole in the bottom of the box much bigger. You will notice that with the stock air box, there is a power drop in torque and HP at 4600 rpm. The air box mod delays that drop out to 4900 and gives way more power under the curve/better acceleration. Perhaps further enlarging the bottom opening will push this back farther or eliminate it all together.

• Options
    ok, with all the talk about added horse power lately, I was wondering if someone could post all the aftermarket parts for the aurora that will increase hp.

Who makes a cat-back system for the aurora and how much is it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Matrix - Call muscle motors at 818-888-7778. They sell the Granatelli mass air flow meter. It's less restrictive and recalibrated for the greater flow. Also check out http://granatellimotorsports.com for info about the mass air flow sensor. They claim 10 to 15 HP at the wheels.

Also check out http://www.corsaperf.com They will be starting on a cat-back system for the Aurora in hopefully a month. They are at 800-486-0999 They are recommended by Wheel to Wheel (they do a lot of GM pace cars). They currently have a Caddy system that adds about 20 HP at the wheels. The stainless steel system for the Aurora will be about $1,000. Yes - expensive. I talked to a guy that has one on an STS (his was the car Corsa used) He originally thought he would want it taken off, but loves it. Lots of extra power, and it is not loud and rude at normal driving and highway driving. Cat backs seem hard to come by for the Aurora, and when Corsa does it, they may be almost the only game in town except for RSM racing.

That's about all I know. If these things live up to their claims, the Aurora will really smoke.

I kind of think that book you are linking to may be for literal racing and involve internal modifications.

• Options
    slovett1slovett1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys!

I did the spark plug (and wires) replacement on my '95. It really wasn't that bad. The front ones were cake, the rears required removing that plastic overhang vacuum thing that's screwed to the firewall. (I also had to remove the engine beauty cover.) Besides that, I just used 2 different extensions (a 3" and a 6") and a regular socket. With a little patience, the job was done. I also did the EGR valve while I was at it. My dealer wanted $540 to do the job, it cost me $102 and about 4 hours of time. Now I'm set for another 100,000 miles! Thanks guys for the advice earlier!

-Steve
  • Options
    Just to show you that this car is really easy to work on. You can save hundreds on certain jobs as you can see. Good for you.
  • Options
    lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    can some please help? i have asked questions on this forum before and didnot get the help i needed. maybe you guys will this time. a couple of weeks ago, i think i put in a bad tank of gas, i always use premium. my car developed a stumble or misfire when i'm at a light with my foot on the brakes with the a/c on. i turned of the a/c and stumble disappeared. you could see the tach needle move down then back up. the dealer said something like this is hard to find? he said the a/c takes up 25 hp and the computer is searching for a correct mixture. anyway, didnot leave my car there. drove car the next few days then the service engine light came on. light went off after a few days and a new fillup of gas at my regular station. drove another few days and came on again and after another fillup, went out. another mechcanic suggested to change the fuel filter, which i did. however, still have same problems with the missing and light. has anyone experienced this and how to fix?
  • Options
    nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Definitely sounds fuel related.
    I haven't had this problem on an Aurora, but it sounds like fuel filter/fuel pump problems I've had on other cars. Since you've replaced the filter, I would look at testing the pump.
    I suppose it could also be a bad plug wire....
  • Options
    webescapeewebescapee Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem it turned out to be my ignition wires. But buy them aftermarket because
    GM is on drugs. I also changed my plugs to Bosch Plus 4. I haven't had a problem since.
  • Options
    Matrix - I forgot to mention http://rsmracing.com Some of the guys have posted things about them here before. They have an induction system, but the cone filter sits in the engine compartment and gets hot air. http://www.caddyinfo.com has a dyno test run that shows a similar set up on a Caddy actually losing power. I think you are best off modifying the existing air box and getting fresh air.

RSM also has a larger throttle body for better induction, and they have a cat-back system that includes a larger catalytic converter too. I'm not sure the bigger converter is a good idea either. Lowering the exit velocity too much can decrease scavanging of the engine and hurt low end torque. I'm not even sure it is legal with the new converter. Magnaflow has high flow converters, but only up to 95. They said their converters were not legal for the Aurora from 96 to present.

I'm sticking with a traditional cat-back system.

I'm not sure there will ever be a decent computer upgrade. The guys here have run across a couple, but nothing that sounded like a true micro tuner that would download the stock OBD2 program and load a performance program. On the Caddyinfo.com site, I read that http://www.x-m-s.com extreme motor sports is supposedly working on a computer programmer/upgrade for all northstars. Who knows. Maybe I should call and check.

• Options
    zinc1zinc1 Member Posts: 133
    Lobsterman - I have the same problem with the service light if I use anything under 91 octane. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 tanks of 'good' gas to turn the light off again. There are some instances, I'm told, where the computer has to be reset in order to turn the light off. Also had the surging problem and it was a shorted wire - as webescapee also mentioned.

Garnes - I'm told http://www.jetchip.com has a PCM for the 95-99 Aurora, part number 68003, for $260 but no one that I know of has bought one :(
  • Options
    darren13darren13 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to Chevron fuel? After putting Chevron in my otherwise-smooth-running Aurora (oddly, I could only put in 1/2 tank; maybe the station actually ran out of gas), my "service engine light" came on. After I used all the fuel and put in Texaco again (the usual), it was ok. Are Aurora's sensitive to fuel type? I have owned the car for 1.5 months, and I love it.
  • Options
    Zinc1 - yeah, I called jetchip and it seemed to involve wiring and perhaps having this electronic component stashed somewhere in the car. It just did not sound like a good idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have the granatelli mass air flow sensor on order and will dyno it. I also intend to do the Corsa cat-back as well and dyno it. I'll keep you all posted, and perhaps have the info and dyno graphs on Caddyinfo.com.
  • Options
    shucknetshucknet Member Posts: 98
    Had all new wires put on my 98 to the tune of $200. The wires were $140 - OMG! It didn't fix the problem.

When I turn off my stereo, the surging is not as bad. I have aftermarket amps and stuff, so my current draw is somewhat high from that, but my engine shouldn't be misfiring because of it. Could I have a bad coil or plugs maybe? Had new plugs put in 10k miles ago, but that's about all I can think of unless it's fuel related.
  • Options
    shucknet, The most likely cause of the symptoms that you describe is bad ground connections. If you do not already have them, invest in the GM service manuals ($120) from http://www.helminc.com , When seemingly unrelated systems are affecting each other, the most likely cause is bad connections in physically related ground taps. The service manuals detail the position of the ground wires. Current dumping from one circuit into a location near a bad connection looks like a signal. The bad ground is most likely in the affected circuit (as opposed to the affecting circuit). Stereos use very high transient currents (even though average currents are generally low), so they can interfere easily. Since I have a 2002 AV8, I don't have the plug wire problem (coil on plug ignition since 2001), but a car with a dedicated system designed to shed power draws when demand exceeds production is particularly vunerable to false input.