Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    I contacted Chevy corporate about the seat track. I'm confident the seat will be fixed or replaced in the next few days. My dealer is actually quite friendly and eager to please.
    Otherwise. It running great. The "software" upgrade has increased engine performance, transmission response, and gas mileage. The body and suspension have always been solid as a rock. The Yoko tires I put on improved handling, steering response, and road noise. The stereo sounds magnificent with the JBL speakers. (I already had the "103" amp.) In many ways, I'll miss the big guy.
    Currently, I 'm looking for something a little smaller, more powerful, and more luxurious. I've been actively searching for a luxury performance convertible! Our CL will have to handle trips with more than two occupants.
    Who knows, if I can't sell the LS I may wait to see what GM comes up with to replace the Camaro.
    Actually, since I'm leasing the LS, I can either find someone to take over the lease (I would pay the transfer fee and maybe one month payment for the "buyer"), or I can buy it and sell it to the buyer in a single transaction through my dealer.
    I'd take a slight hit on the sale, but it's still preferable to the huge hit for terminating a lease early.
    BTW, my build date is 12/00. I remember you asking about that.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    How about a Chrysler Sebring convertible? Seems comfortable enough for 4 people and the car looks very nice. But that DCX automatic......
  • Options
    kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone out there order the set of four Splash Guards from Spoilers4less. how is the quality and are y happy with them. walter
  • Options
    We test drove one before choosing the CL. It wasn't bad, but lacked power. Our main objection was the sleazy business style used at Normandin Chrysler in San Jose. We were so disgusted, we didn't even go to another Chrysler dealer. We went straight to our nearby Acura dealer and got the CL that same day.
    I'm looking for something a little more "exotic". I'm searching for a used one. Even though I live in Silicon Valley, I'm not about to go out and buy a new XKR or CL430.
  • Options
    I thought they were terrible, and sent them back. I managed to find a set of genuine GM's shortly after they discontinued the rear ones. I was lucky enough to locate a set. I belive it was at partszoneonline.com
  • Options
    kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    Gary how long ago was that you found them at partszoneonline thanks walter
  • Options
    A couple three months maybe. After I ordered them, I spoke to a Chevy dealer in nearby Sunnyvale (CA), and he said he had 'em. D'oh!
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I think the Sebring Convertible is an incredibly beautiful car, especially in the dark red with tan top.
    If only it came with a better power plant! The 3.0L Mitsubishi in the Sebring Coupe would have been better in the ragtop. We test drove one of those too. It had excellent pickup and a nice throat.
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    It's been many moons since I read or posted on this board.
    No way I can catch up with the thousands of posts (you are all very prolific).

GP - Why are you getting rid of your Impala?
  • Options
    I just want something a little smaller, a little more powerful, a little more luxurious. If I find a used vehicle to fit that bill, I may save money too!
    The Impala is a great car, good looking, powerful. I had a few little problems, but they've been taken care of. I'll miss it, in some ways.
    I'm a little concerned that between the economy and GM's super incentives on new ones, I may have a little trouble selling/trading it right now.
    No problem though! I'll be happy to drive it until I do!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I cannot believe that the regulars here are not aware of the Town Hall's policy about not using "rice" terms in any way to refer to vehicles.

On the off-chance that has slipped by some of you, let me just tell you now - any more posts that use any rice terminology (or Hitachi cooker or anything else implicative of the "rice" ethnic slur) will be removed. It is a racist and ethnic defamation that is not welcome here.

This is Town Hall policy and not subject to debate - email me if you'd like, but please do not post messages protesting this policy; we can not and will not be debating it here.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    When you sell your Impala or maybe before, You should Remove and sell your set of Moulded Spash Sheilds with the sought after rear set to kimpala1962. I'm sure a dealer will not add $50.00 to the trade in price for the Flaps, I'd put the GA Tires (If you kept them) back on too and sell the Yokohoma's outright. Just a thought...DW
  • Options
    Thanks! But I sold the Goodyears right away. I'll think about the guards, though!
    I'm looking for a private sale, so I think the guards and Yokos may help. Same goes for the speakers.
    I think I'll need every possible perk to move this almost new car, when new cars have gotten so affordable. And, there's also the economy to worry about.
    But, like I said, I'll be happy to drive it until I do, especially when it's so clean and shiny! (Just detailed it again.)
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Welcome back Duraflex. What have you been up to?
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    If you guys don't like the look of the IS300 rear lights, wait till you see BMW's new model next year. I forgot the name of the model, but it's price in the mid $20's to compete with Benz C coupe.

It's nasty looking!!! It's another one of those yucky clear lenses....far worst than the IS300.
  • Options
    As long as it doesn't have headlights like an Infiniti Q45, there's still hope.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    www.gmforums.com. I am b4zz there.
  • Options
    impalals2002impalals2002 Member Posts: 8
    I waxed my car this weekend, and buffed it to a complete shine. Now yesterday and today streaks and haze spots are just popping up here and there. Any reason for this? Also I use "liquid glass". I found this to give me the best shine for the longest time. Also my car is black and I getting the swirl marks and fine scratches. Is there really any way to avoid this on a black car? I bought all microfiber towels and 100% cotton towels and followed all information I could find. What products and techniques do all of you use?? Thanks
  • Options
    Gary, how about the Acura RSX? Seems to be getting rave reviews from critics. Cheaper (Actually about the same) and powerful in Type S form..
  • Options
    Excellent suggestion! I test drove one as an afterthought after test driving a TLS. I think the RSX is an excellent value for a lot of people. As usual, Acura has packed the most features and quality into a specific price point. In this case, the low $20's.

However, the good engine is only available with the stick. I prefer auto. The interior has a little too much of that plasticky carbon fiber look, a la WRX, IS300, Protoge5, etc. I prefer wood and leather. It is also extremely noisy. I prefer quiet.

I think the RSX is an excellent choice for those looking for a moderately priced sport coupe. If the bigger engine was available with an AT. I'd definitely consider it, noise, plastic and all!
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Got the call this morning that my 2000 Impala was ready to picked up from the service dept. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft (under warranty) and turned the front rotors.

However, when asked about the noise from the seat track, they said this was "normal" for a power seat. I also asked about retrofitting the rear wheel liners, and was told these "wouldn't fit a 2000 Impala".

I'm picking up the car momentarily, but knowing there's a TSB about adding the wheel liners (#00-08-111-004, I believe), and that there has been a problem with the seat track on other cars (is there a TSB on this?), makes me think less of this dealer's service dept. At least they got the major stuff done.
  • Options
    There is a Seat Track TSB. However, it merely states that if repair is necessary, they must replace the seat racks entirely as repair is not possible. It doesn't actually mention any specific problems that have been occuring with the track.

#01-08-50-008
    Power Seat Track Adjusters
    2001 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo -- Built After VIN Breakpoint 19298567
    Beginning with the VIN breakpoints listed above, the power seat track adjusters are non-serviceable and therefore individual parts are not available. If repairs are required to the power seat track adjuster on these vehicles, it will be necessary to replace the complete assembly.
    Important
    Vehicles built prior to the VIN breakpoints listed above have power seat track adjusters that can be serviced with individual parts.
  • Options
    Last night I was behind a 1987 or 1988 Ford Thunderbird for a short while, they have the perfect Taillight design for the Impala. 3 Round on each side that illuminate thru the ribbed covers. It looked cool seeing all 6 Round taillights lit-up. Seem to be the perfect size for the Impala. I know the RSX has some performance but the look of the car to me looks like a Warmed up Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, from the rear quarter windows back. it has the silohoutte of a Cavalier. Don
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I don't know that there is a TSB for the seat, but tell them you want it fixed either way, it's still a warranty item. On my work order it was listed as...Adjuster nuts 16607860 and 16807200, I have had no movement since they replaced them. I too had a laundry list of items to be repaired when i brought my car in. One thing they never even told me about I just saw on the work order:
    Radiator cap leaking, Performed campaign J3020, replaced cap as per J3020...Interesting, did anyone else know about this? I have a 2k Impala LS
  • Options
    So...that means that my '01 Impala LS has the "Non-serviceable" power seat tracks. My VIN breakpoint is 317,xxx with a build date of 4/01.

Gary, does your car fall in the range before the VIN breakpoint or after it? Since your car was built on 12/00, I tend to believe you have the old seat tracks that can be serviced. My other question is: Are the defective seat tracks, the old or the new ones? Which ones?
  • Options
    When people say that the have a "Laundry" of items to be fix/repaired it makes me think that the cars are falling apart? Could you be more specific hunter?
  • Options
    What was the complaint that you used to get the Steering Shaft? I had some obvious noise under my LS and they Replaced the Cradle, that took care of the audible noise when going over rough pavement, But now I still feel some "rocking" in the Steering Wheel when turning into and onto a sidewalk entrance to a business or something, Kinda like a Jiggling, it also does it while turning the wheel and accelarating say on a curved on ramp with some uneven pavement, You cannot hear anything, just feel it. I also am starting to correlate it with the un-depression of the brake pedal, When I take my foot "off" of the Brake pedal I can feel a nudge on the top of the Steering wheel, like it is translated thru the Intermediate Steering Shaft? Thanks Don
  • Options
    Don: you have the ISS problem. get it fixed, don't wait for it to magically go away or fixed by itself. Don't wait until your car is out of warranty to get it taken care of.

ALL 2000 Impalas and Montecarlos have problems with engine cradles and intermediate steering shafts, no exceptions.
  • Options
    But I want to go in there with some concrete evidence that it is the ISS, I know they will try and minimize the problem, I have 21,500 mi. and 13 months and/or 13,500 miles of Warranty left, And on another Note, the Silver Hubcaps on my other Impala are staring to turn Greenish again! think the slightest trace of Brake dust just destroys the finish, I always clean them and use no chemicals and they still are turning colors. Anyway, While I was searching for the Sheilds, I found a GM Place that sells the 5 spoke Rims for around $90.!!! Don
  • Options
    They are $79.80 each and include the Center Cap and the 5 Lug Nuts. GM List is $114.00....Wholesale is $96 and their price is $79.80! I am going to get a set for my Base Impala next spring. Don
  • Options
    Don:: Rest assured you have very good evidence on your ISS problem description. My 2000 LS exhibited the same exact symptoms at around 11K. If the service advisor gives you a hard time, ask for the Service Manager to test drive the car with you by his side...its no rocket science, He'll feel it right away.

The ISS symptoms don't happen right away. It takes a gradual amount of time for the steering column and brake pedal clunky feeling to develop.

I am still baffled that GM in all this time hasn't issued neither a recall or TSB in regards to the defective ISS. The ISS is the second more widespread problem in the 2000 model year after the engine cradle noises.

My '01LS has been flawless in 6K+ miles but we'll see if the ISS gives up the ghost when it reaches 11K in a few months from now. I hope not, this car has been wonderful in comparison to my 2000.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    On my way to work this morning - passed a new base sedan in that new green - OUTSTANDING! It looks like an emerald hue - very nice with the neutral interior. Glad to see it.

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • Options
    My seat tracks are apparently pre-TSB, VIN 1923xxxx, so I guess they're repairable.

When I talk to Chevy Corporate tonight, I'm going to ask for complete seat and track replacement. I may let them try one more repair, though, if I'm feeling forgiving. If so, I'll ask for a new set of nuts like the ones Hunter got. Mine are obviously shot. (No wise cracks!)

If that doesn't do it, then a brand spankin new seat is in my future. (Maybe I'll demand the whole convenience seating package be retrofitted, to compensate for the inconvenience.) That would be nice.
  • Options
    Hmmm, since they changed the seat tracks after VIN break point 298,xxx I assume that the old "Serviceable" tracks are indeed the defective ones. This could explain why my power seat has never exhibited any of the "wiggling" and movement problems of power seats with the older tracks. Perhaps the nonserviceable tracks address the seat movement problems.

Ask to see if the new seat tracks can be retrofitted in your car, as I am sure they would. But don't expect the Chevy 1-800 service attendant to answer that question for you. I would give a holler to your Service Manager first. (Remember you already have a file case number, so calling the 1-800 customer service number is kinda a moot point)

Perhaps the retrofit would require a brand new seat, I would not be surprised. Now your choice is to continue with leather or cloth...? Hmmmm Tempting idea!
  • Options
    I already got leather, so I don't have a choice. The funny thing is I thought I had the convenience seating package when I chose my car! It's the only option I don't have.

Every one that I either looked at or drove had it! However, I wanted a dark blue job with a spoiler. When we went to look for one, I saw the silver spoiler and said "I'll take that one!".

After testing the stereo, I took care of the paper work. It was only after I got in to drive home, I noticed the lack of seat heater buttons!

It's my fault. I should have been more attentive. It was like 9pm, and I was tired, so I wasn't the sharpest tack on the cork board.
  • Options
    jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    Thanks to those who offered suggestions about getting wax off the body side mouldings. I asked the sales manager at Pep Boys what is the best wax to use on a new car with clear coat and he suggested Meguires's Hi-Tech Yellow wax which I bought and used.

I never heard of Zaino, but I value your opinion and will give it a try. Is it available at local stores or do you have to order it?
  • Options
    Jons01: Zaino is only available as a mail order item.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Mine is a 2000 Impala (vin 9310xxx); since the TSB appears to apply to 2001 models, I too assume mine would be the adjustable type. If they're adjustable, maybe I can take a look around and see if something is loose.

Don; as for the ISS, mine had become VERY obvious; to the point that it was audible to passengers in the car. Made noise when turning, or even passing over speed bumps at low speeds (brakes on or not). When I took it in and told them I thought the ISS was the problem, they shook their heads knowingly, and replaced it with no further comment.

Teo; as for the laundry list, here's what I wanted addressed:
    1: ISS (replaced)
    2: Cradle shims (not done, note on invoice said "waiting for new cradle" or something similar. Haven't really heard the "ticking" for some time, but wanted it noted in the event of future our-of-warranty problems.)
    3: Brake rotors (fronts warped; turned at my expense - $50; I can live with that)
    4: Cruise control noise (told it was functioning normally; haven't tried it since the cradle repair)
    5: Driver's seat track (told it too was functioning normally)
    6: Rear wheel well liners (not done; note says something like "2002 liners won't fit 2000 model"; I'll pursue this one later).

Also didn't worry about replacing my "bad" amp with a "good" amp; figure I'd have to pay the difference, and my hearing is poor enough (and my kids loud enough) that I wouldn't notice the difference.
  • Options
    morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Here is a list of problems my car is going in for

1)Airbag Light comes on/goes off
    2)Service Traction System/ABS light on/off
    3)Excessive Fuel Consumption
    4)Service vehicle soon light on/off
    5)Slight engine hesitaiton upon acceleration
    6)Dashboard rattle
    7)gas swishing in gas tank
    8)engine fan comes on during initial start up of car in the mornings, then turns off/on on/off..really wierd
    9)air bag housing in seat coming apart
    10)rear wheel liners
    11) turn signals-noise stops when turning, but blnking is normal...

GOD....I feel like crap...

Paul
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    and to answer your question,

What have we been up to??? Buying a "new" house. It's almost 40 years old and though I only buy new cars, I would never buy a house built later than 1965.

If anyone's gone through the experience of finding and buying a house lately, the process makes choosing a car seem like a picnic by comparison. It literally took us years to find what we wanted. And packing and moving - yikes, is that a nightmare. We could be living out of boxes for many months to come.

You folks can debate leasing vs. buying a car and make good cases for each but when it comes to real estate, buying is the smart way to go.

The 2000 Impala LS is running great. Now 20 months old with almost 22,000 miles.

Had occasion to rent a Chevy Venture minivan (long version) 2 months ago. Very nice ride. Think it had a 3.1 V6. Whatever it was, it had great visibility, a lot of pep, great brakes, good sounding radio and was very comfortable to drive.
  • Options
    That's because real estate appreciates. (usually)
  • Options
    Sounds like you're a candidate for replacement of the entire car. I'd look into it.

HOWEVER, you probably only have 2 or 3 problems causing all those things. A loose/bad ground is probably causing 1-5, 8, and 11. The dashboard rattle may be associated with the others too, if there's a something electronic actuating a relay or something in the dash. Otherwise something is loose. Gas swishing is a known problem. Rear wheel liners are a known problem too with the 2000's, even my 2001 has loose liners...I need to glob some silicone in there to keep them from rattling at high speed/high wind. The airbag housing is a freak one. Never heard of that one...easy module replacement.

You can probably get all that last stuff fixed. It takes a really good mechanic to knock off a intermittent bad ground though, and you may not get it fixed. Poor performance/hesitation, bad gas mileage, etc are not typical traits of Impalas. You should have better for your money. 99+% of us got great powertrains.

Dude, you caught the assembly line on a bad day. They should get that one back.
  • Options
    Buying/fixing a house? That's a worthy activity. Certainly a better financial activity than car buying. My '01 LS is my first and maybe last new car, but I sure enjoy it. When I'm not doing necessary upkeep on my home, that is.
  • Options
    Whatever is rattling around in your dashboard (BCM?)is probably causing those warning light and turn sugnal problems.
    The hesitation, intermittant fan, and gas consumption is probably caused by a problem with your ECM. It may have to be replaced, but it may just need a software update. I had that done to mine, and I get better acceleration, smoother transmission, and higher gas mileage.
    A few people have compalained about the side airbag. It can be fixed.
    I'm not sure if you can get a Lemon Law buyback until you've given the company's agent (the dealer) an opportunity to repair these problems. In California, they have 4 chances to fix something, 2 if it's a safety item like airbags, before you can file a Lemon Law claim. Lemon Laws don't apply to accesory stuff like glove box latches and the like. But, almost everything on your list would count.
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I noticed that Hunter39 had a radiator cap replaced. I had an oil change, had to have the overflow for the radator filled. I checked it again 3 days later, and the overflow is low again... has anyone else experienced this??
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    Garypen, What was the software upgrade?? I keep seeing postings about this, but no explanation.

I think there has been a recall for the side airbag also.

no seat problems on my LS.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    All of your problems seem minor in nature. Just aggravating. There seems to be a fix for all of your items.
    Try living with a olds intrigue for 27 months that neither GM or the dealership has got a clue how to fix.
  • Options
    I believe Hunter mentioned that they did it from a TSB.
    I know that I've seen a TSB that mentions brown/red gel-like substance forming around the neck of the coolant reservoir. That sounds like overheated long-life coolant.
    That would most likely be caused by a faulty cap.
  • Options
    The invoice says: "soft wear update" part auth: CC 101501 17:20 The last four digits look like the time of day to me.
    It didn't seem to do anything at first. Then, one week later, they performed a "PCM re-programming" , which sounds like the same thing to me. That did the trick.
    Now, I know there is an Engine Control Module, and a Body Control Module. But, I wonder if the PCM is the same thing as the ECM? I'll bet Teo knows!
    In any case, the car is running much better now.
  • Options
    caslcasl Member Posts: 33
    I had the software update done to my car quite a while ago and the hesitation problem hasn't gone away. Right after the update, I had a few weeks where it actually got worse. Towards the end of the summer it even got to the point where it wasn't just hesitating, but it was chugging and bucking before it would kick back in. Now we're back to the occasional hesitation. The problem is logged with the dealer at every oil change and tire rotation, in the hopes that someday they will find a fix for it.

PS - Hit 40,000 miles last Saturday - car was 2 years, 2 weeks and 1 day old