Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
  • Options
    caslcasl Member Posts: 33
    Here's another vote for Oxyclean - with kids, cats, a dog and a husband, I haven't run into any carpet stains that Oxyclean hasn't been able to get rid of.

I had a small coffee stain on the cloth armrest of my Impala (which mysteriously appeared after hubby took the car on a trip to Canada - hmmm) and now you can't tell there ever was one.
  • Options
    jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    I joined Ken in Bonneville land.

I had to have the 3800 (now my third, 4th if I count my wifes car). Picked up an SLE, no supercharger.... but all the other fun stuff, including full instrumentation.

That is one thing I think all cars equiped like an LS should have. They are backed up by idiot lights anyway for those who are not interested. Glad to see Chevy is making the change for the new sport package. Some people think the gauges are somewhat useless, but I have watched an alternator begin to puke on my old Buick long before the light came on.

I can't believe most manufacturers don't offer them.... even on some of the high end foreign stuff....
  • Options
    >>>and now you can't tell there ever was one.<<<

You killed your husband because of a coffee stain? Gosh, you're strict.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Gotta love these red night lights too as well as the auto suspension in back. I do wish we had the fold down rear seat that Impala has.

Ken
  • Options
    wipsonwipson Member Posts: 16
    I have an LS with a little over 12,000 miles. Bought Feb. '01 with build date Nov. '00. What do you need to know?
  • Options
    Jeffbog, congratulations! the Bonneville is a very beautiful car, but more expensive given the content/price ratio in comparison with the Impala LS. During the time I was dealing with the problems with my 2000 LS, I too had seriously considered switching to the Bonnie (GM gave me the choice of going to any other GM car and pay sticker to sticker price difference), but in the end I could not justify the price difference increase going with the Bonnie SE or SLE (SSE-i, too expensive and garish) over the Impala LS (And getting less equipment with the Bonnie), so I decided to give the Impala LS a second try after seeing that GM had made the necessary revisions to the sore spots found in the 2000 models.

The Bonnie is one sweet ride and it is a very solid car. Too bad GM will discontinue the lineup after 2005, a shame if you ask me.

The Impala has been great so far compared to the 2000 LS. I also agree that the car is not out of the woods yet in respect to the ISS. We'll see what happens when I approach the 12K mile mark.

But one thing is clear Jeff and that is that if this new Impala begins to give me grief at any given time it will be a sure goner.

If that's the case (Hope not as this car seems to be much more solid than the 2000 ever was) then I'll have my sights set on a new BMW 325i Sportwagon.

Enjoy the Bonneville as it is one of the most troublefree GM cars right up with the Impala, according to Consumer Reports.
  • Options
    Hi Wipson, have you had any problems with your Impala? More specifically with the Engine cradle or intermediate steering shaft, or any other area?
  • Options
    The only problems I have had so far are the rotors warping, a water leak in the trunk, and the famous amp replacement. Rotors were turned (I know... I know... I should have insisted on replacement) and they were unable to fix the trunk leak, so, being an ex-autobody man, I fixed it myself. It has been a great car so far, I am very happy with it, and I would buy it again.
  • Options
    A European sport sedan/wagon? I'm telling our friend. He'll never let you live it down. ;-)

(Don't tell anyone, but I'm a big Jaguar and Mercedes fan.)
  • Options
    Wipson:: What caused your trunk leak?

Gary: After having owned Japanese (Made in Ohio and Japan, of course) and American (made in Canada and the US) I am eager to try next some teutonic steel. Will I regret it?, may be, but I must make it so.....

Our friend has multiple personalities. I specially enjoyed the good blow you gave him in your last post..
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The K-Mart over here had the Cool Blue bulbs for $10 each. It's a standard bulb so you should be able to find it easily. Watch out which bulb you get. They do sell bulbs that will fit the harness but exceed the wattage rating of the system and can burn the wiring harness. These are usually not DOT approved.

The Tornado product has been advertised in Hawaii for a few years now. A couple of people in this group have tried it and I know one of them likes it.

I have seen the national commercial and the visuals they use. I am not convinced. The product "... creates a swirling air motion, allowing the air to move faster and more efficiently by continuously whirling air around corners and bends.." Swirling air causes turbulance, increases drag thereby RESTRICTING air flow.

They go on to say "Imagine a mini-tornado on its side moving through the intakes of your automobile. It causes better fuel atomization, resulting in an increase of gas mileage..." In a fuel injection system the gas is injected right above the intake valve. The air rushing around the valve is going to cause the fuel to atomize and mix already.

If they had a money back guarentee, I would be willing to test it once I get all my measurement devices. However I won't pay $80 for what I think is a snake-oil type product.
  • Options
    I thought the Philips brand "cool blue" lamps were DOT approved. I could be wrong. They are exact replacements, though.
  • Options
    Sounds like you've got your sights set already! Is that the car you most enjoyed at the car show last week? Ours is this week in Boston and I'm trying to get there somehow before it closes. Have only missed one so far since 1966.

Ken
  • Options
    The metal lip that the deck lid gasket sits on was too low on each side where the gasket bends from horizontal to vertical (right under the wing on an LS). The dealer just replaced the gasket, but that did not fix the gap. When they said they would have to let their body shop work on it, I elected to fix it myself. I had to bend it up gently without harming the paint or the caulking that is right next to it.

You may want to check yours by putting one of the rear seats down and looking at that spot on a bright sunny day. If you see daylight like mine did, you know you may have a problem with water leaks. My problem was probably made worse because my driveway is sloped and I always park pointed uphill. This was causing the water to come in.
  • Options
    gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    Anyone with body shop expereience to tell me if having a dealer bolt on a spoiler is problematic? Sounds like it won't be covered by factory warranty, just the parts dept/shop waranty of 3/36k. So if I get the extended warranty, it won't be part of that.
    I had them look up what it woudl cost them to ge a black spoiiler from GM. $195. The site someone here told me about, GMPARTSDIRECT.COM: $135.
    Seems like the dealer shold be able to get it for less than I do. Do you think the cheaper one is a lessor unit?
  • Options
    I've had my sights set on some British steel. Lately, though, I've been eyeing some classic German roadsters. Not, I repeat NOT, the new stuff like the Z3. I shy away from BMW because the roads here are lousy with them. I also don't care for the VW/Audi stuff. MB is, to me, a real nice blend of luxury and performnce.
  • Options
    Go for it Gary! It's one of the most gorgeous, sexy automobiles anywhere!

Ken
  • Options
    You're tellin' me! As soon as I take care of all this annoying rent and groceries stuff, I'm going for it!
  • Options
    Man if I had that car (my dream too), my next trip to PA would have a SERIOUS detour! Not just Niagara Falls this time! Maybe Denver????

Ok I know - this is Impala land. I do love those graceful gazelles too - in fact one as a back up to the CLK would give me an ear to ear smile!

Ken
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    LS, bulid date 01/01purchased 04/01 8,200 + miles
    Changed oil and filter myself @ 500 miles
    Dealer changed oil and filter twice since then
    Use heavy duty maintenance cycle - Short drives 90% of the time / Wyoming dust
    Dealer rotated Tires once
    Dealer replaced rood strips

Gas mileage increased to present rate around 1,000 miles 25 town / 30+ interstate
    First car with power steering that doesn't squeal going from lock to lock

Don't care what the biased Car magazines say, LOVE this car!!!

Night Owl don't you want try out the Speed Limiter on H-1 or H-3?

Maguire's Carpet Cleaner works great for stains, got my tan floor mats clean.
  • Options
    blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    2001 LS with 23K miles. A 2000 mile road trip coming up this weekend. Build date was October 00, I think, never checked it for sure, but bought it in December. Only problems so far were the amp which was finally replaced. It feels like the rotors might be getting slightly warped, going to give them a little more time and get it checked next time I have time to take it to the dealer and leave it. Mileage seems to be getting better, averages over 27mpg and I expect to get about 29mpg this weekend. I have only reset the average speed on the DIC once, and that was about 12000 miles ago, and it still has an average speed of just over 50 mph. Lots of highway miles. This is a great car! No ISS problems, or cradle problems.

Mike
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    5 month old 2001 with 9500 miles.
  • Options
    7 month old LS w/5800 miles. The only reason the mles are so "high" is I had a long commute for a month. It would be about 1000 less without that.

A couple problems, as you know. All taken care of except the seat, which they assure me they will fix. They're quite friendly at my dealer. I haven't had a chance to bring it in again, though.

A couple of minor new problems just cropped up:
    Intermittant auto-lock.
    Poor radio reception.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I think it would be a good idea to keep trac of problems popping with the 2001's. By this time last year, a lot of posters were complaining of either, engine cradle, ISS and engine hesitation problems. At least to me, it seems that complaints generated by these items have minimized greatly on the 2001's.

One thing that in a way bothers me is that I have yet to come accross a TSB from GM in regards to the ISS problem. No recall, no TSB no explanation whatsoever. I can only hope that the ISS problems were caused by a bad batch of parts and not actual design issues. Time will tell.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    GO to the Gmpartsdirect site I listed a few posts up, click on accessories then, Impala., it will show you accessories for the Impala., Click on "REAR SPORT SPOILER" and get the Part number, type it into the box to the right and it will bring up the Price, That Dealer is right, the GM "List Price" is $194.00 for a Pre-Painted Black Spoiler, But they are asking you to pay the ""FULL RETAIL"" And my Geuss of $60+ dollars to drill 4 holes and tighten 4 bolts, Nonsense! i WOULD GET IT FOR $135.00 IT is the SAME THING.... and you are already one step ahead as it is Pre-Painted. I have a Navy Base in addition to my Silver LS, I want one for my Base and will have to have it painted to match! Don
  • Options
    Standing in the Service Dept. explaining the ISS to anyone who will listen! Wish me luck! Don
  • Options
    Don, may I suggest bringing with you a printout of all ISS related posts??

This will facilitate the troubleshooting process at your dealership.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    My 2001 LS (built 04/01 - same as yours!) has 18222km (about 11350 miles). Only problems have been the roof strips and a recent slight vibration under braking (must have a bad rotor). Otherwise it's been a dream. I really love this car.
    Brad
  • Options
    fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Today I became aware of a potential safety issue that sort of scares me. My son happened to go into the 01 LS and pushed down on the power door lock switch locking all the doors. Minutes later I hear the alarm on the car and I went outside to the car to notice that my boy was stuck in the car. He couldnt get out. The power door lock switches were disabled, and he could'nt manually open the door using the door handles. He was stuck in the car. I had to use the Fob to unlock the car to let him out. I renacted the event to see if it would repeat itself. It did. Once you lock the car using the power door lock switches, the alarm system activates... the alarm system totally disables the power door lock switches, and the door handles dont open the door. I have to call Chevy in the morning to see if this was intentionally designed. If it was, what was on their mind? Has anyone else experienced this? If anyone has the time, see if you can duplicate this scenario. Please let me know. Remember to make sure you have your fob with you so you can unlock the doors... Dont become a prisoner in your own car... Thanks
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Your situation sounded very strange to me, so I just tried it in my 01 LS. Didn't happen to me. I got in and locked the doors using the power lock switch. Then I tried unlocking using the power lock switch. No problem.

I wonder if there's a setting in the configuration options to change this (I don't feel like reading the manual right now)?

Did you try to manually unlock the door by pulling on the lock lever above the door handle? At least this would keep you from being a prisoner in your own car! Something just doesn't sound right with this.
    Brad
  • Options
    Fathertyricius::: I just duplicated the same exact problem that you are taking about in my car.

Here is what I did:

1)Unlocked the doors with the key fob
    2)Sit inside the car in the driver's seat
    3)Locked the doors again with the Key fob
    4)Alarm was activated
    5)Tried to unlock the doors using power door lock switch, would not work

GUESS WHAT MY FRIEND?

6)moved door lock knob manually (Located above each door handle), and presto door opened!!!!
    7) tried all four doors and all four doors open when the lock is "unlocked" manually.
    8) End result: Safety concerns is non existant!

Here is the problem. Perhaps you are so used to the power door lock mechanism (Key fob, automatic door lock/unlock when putting car in and out of park) that you probably don't realize that the door locks can still be activated manually on each door from the inside!. All cars with power door locks have this safety feature should the power or battery fail, the door locks can still be opened manually even if the power door lock actuator is not working.

Teach this to your children should this happen again.

Tip::: If the rear doors still don't open from the inside manually, it means the "Child Safety door lock" latch is on the "ON" position. This is a safety feature that prevents children from suddenly open the rear doors when they ride in the back. the doors with the latch ON can only be opened from the outside. If this makes you uncomfortable, make sure the child safety latch is in the "OFF" position.

I would be surprised that the doors could not be opened from inside manually, from a car that boasts one of the best trunk escape mechanisms.

Try it and let us know.

No need to call the Chevy people!

PS: it makes sense for the door lock actuator not to work when the alrm is on, from the inside. This prevents the thieve from escaping the car while the police arrives..LOL!!!
  • Options
    fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I just went outside to take a better look at the inside of the door panel and power door lock switches. You are right Teo and shame on me.... the manual door lock above the door handle unlocks the doors manually, but the power door lock switches remain disabled while the alarm is activated. I never use that manual lever... NEVER. Its either the fob or the power door lock switches. The rear child lock protection is off, and I knew about that, but I guess im stressed out lately not to be able to figure this one out on my own... thanks again Teo.... Sorry for the scare.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I purchased my 2001 LS late August with a build date of 07/00. I think the ISS problem started to kick in. I'm getting a slight vibration/thumb at the steering wheel and the gas pedal at around 40 - 60mph... would that be the ISS anyone?? I scheduled an appointment at my local dealership for Tuesday, I hope they'll replace it.
    Chris
  • Options
    I have the same thing,Brake Pedal/Steering wheel correlation But I never noticed it at 60 mph,. Much lower speeds for me, the jiggly feeling in Steering Wheel is around 15-25 mph turning right and the Audible Noises I hear when going over bumps are most noticeable right at 25 mph,(Very Metallic reverberation type sound after going over any crease in the road) I have a 3 week old Brand New Super Welded Cradle, The Audible noise I hear at 25 mph is exactly the same as what I heard before they replaced the Cradle,It was not as bad for the first couple of days and the steering probs. never changed, it has to be the ISS if not I'm goin' "NUTS" then for a F-150 too! or a Crown Victoria LX SPORT! (I considered both in late 1999 when I bought my LS)(Now the CV Has a Cool Sport model) when my Warranty gets close to running out in a year. BTW... I am taking it in, in about 7 hours so I will post any results tommorow night. Don
  • Options
    Fathertyricious: No problem and glad that you were able to check the manual door lock by yourself. I never use it either, and if you hadn't mention about the power door locks being disabled from the inside when the alarm is on, I wouldn't have guessed it myself either. It looks like upon setting up the alarm, the computer stops feeding electricity to main components such as the locks..very interesting.

ISS revisited::: Don, I hope they can take care of your problem. While you are at it, ask your dealer if they have seen the ISS problem on the 2001's as well. Also when you get the part replaced, please come back and post the replacement ISS part number, to see if it has changed from the original part number.

My car has been flawless up to this point but if the ISS should also cause grief on this car, it will be BMW time, Lexus time or something else time. Been there done that and I don't intend to travel down that route again.

At least it is good news to hear that 2001 Impala owners with fairly recent build dates and higher mileage haven't had any problems either, so I am hoping that my car will not exhibit this malady again.
  • Options
    I just got dropped off at home by the "FRONT END GUY" from my Dealership, He offered to drive me home,5 miles(Well I drove) and he took my LS back to the Dealership, But we did talk in depth about these noises, he said the ISS has some kind of Lubrication that once it wears off it is metal to metal almost, He heard the Noises, He also said a Tell Tale Description of the ISS is a "CLUNK" upon Accelleration, I told him that I had clunking feeling when I take my foot off the Brake Pedal, But I never noticed it upon Acceleration, My Silver LS Looked Cool Pulling away from my house, Since I never get to see it drive off, I detailed it last week so it is "Squeaky" (No Pun Intended) Clean. I will let you know what they say when they call later, I also mentioned my Fan Blower Whistles on the #3 Setting regardless of the Air Routing, Since Winter is coming I will be using it more and more and I may as well get it looked at now. Don
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I get that whistling fan noise too! I haven't any other problems with the car right now so I won't bring it in for just that. I didn't know if it was just me or what. I hadn't heard anyone else mention it

Also if you did get trapped in your car... you could hit the trunk release and exit through the back using the fold down emergency evacuation feature of your Impala...hee hee
  • Options
    Slight confustion here. The Phillips Cool Blue lights are DOT approved. My point was that aftermarket companies (other than Phillips) do sell non DOT approved bulbs that may exceed the wattage rating of the socket, harness or housing. The added heat can melt/crack the socket and housing and the increased current can burn the harness.
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    ....no fan whistling, but I do hear exterior wind whistling. There is a seal somewhere around the front pass. side that is buffeting the wind or something causing the whistle. Can't say it ticks me off too much and the service dept. would be no help so I live with it. The radio drowns it out.

What is somewhat disturbing is a few weeks ago we got torrential rain for hours. I noticed what seemed to be a loose interior light at the base of the glove box. Well, it wasn't loose, but had a bead of water on it! I have no clue where the water would have seeped into the cabin.

Rains have come and gone since and no interior water... thank goodness. Makes me uneasy though. Leaks were the primary reason I opted for a fully loade LS minus moonroof. Seems I can't win.

Dang Murphy's Law!

RR
  • Options
    Heh, not with all the cops running around with their lasers. One of these days I gotta take the car to the track.
  • Options
    socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    I just read another family sedan comparison, this time in Car and Driver Magazine and as usual the Impala placed towards the back of the pack(although in front of the Taurus and best MPG). These magazines have a strong bias towards foreign brands and it shows in the comments they make towards the domestic brands ie:the mold lines show on the plastic trim, its big and bulky. I know Toyota, Nissan and Honda make good cars, but they are in a separate category of near sport sedans or basic family sedans. The Impala, Crown Vic, Intrepid, Le Sabre are all comfortable open road cruisers with high feature/price ratio. I guess my point is mute considering the sales figures of the Impala recently, but it would be nice to see this "comfort" class of cars to be recognized for what they are, not compared like apples and oranges.
  • Options
    teo - If you do indeed say bye-bye to the Imp, have you thought of getting a Focus?

Don - I, too, get occasional whistling from the climate control system. I've discovered what is causing it in my car. When the dash vents are closed, a little air squeezes out through the louvres, creating a whistle! If I leave the louvres open, even slightly, I don't get the whistle. Maybe you've got the same thing going on.

socal - Actually, the Impala is very comparable to the Altamrycord. They are all 5 passenger, front wheel drive, family sedans in the same price category. Despite the Impalas excellent feature/price ratio, striking good looks, and solid frame, the interior is inferior (ooh, I rhymed) to the Altamrycord in quality of materials and craftsmanship. Almost every review points this out not because of a bias for foriegn metal, but because it is a fact.
  • Options
    With every new generation, these venerated cars become closer and closer to the size of the Impala. Now this surely must not have any basis in the fact that people prefer roominess inside for the family or more luggage space. Have the automotive press pointed this out????? In fact - look at the present size of these cars comapred to the mid 80s. Today's Corolla, Sentra and Civic have essentially taken the place of those cars. And what of the gas mileage? My 86 Camry got 36 mpg. Today's is less efficient than my full sized 2000 Bonneville (or the Impala). The press certainly doesn't go out of their way to mention this either.

Ken
  • Options
    socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    garypen, I agree with the you on the quality and craftmanship of at least the Honda, I sold my 91 civic after 10 years(great car), when I got my Impala. I tested all these cars, except the Altima (maybe regretfuly-I like the new design)And in my opinion the interior of the Impala compares very well in terms of materials, and surpasses all(except Intrepid)in roominess. It just seems that the very qualities I admire in the big domestic sedans, price,power, and comfort are not recognized in most of these comparisons.
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Did you get my email asking about how you installed that Playstation 2 in your Impala? Please send me a response back via email. Thanks! You have an awesome Impala ride.
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    My white 2001 Impala LS is 14 months old and has about 4900 miles on it. I am truly enjoying the new amp that was installed in it back during the summer. I have changed my Impala's oil at 1500 and 4500 miles. At the last oil change, I replaced the used oil with Castrol 10w30 synthetic oil.

Has anyone seen the new Impala commercial? If you have not, the guy that didn't want to test drive the Impala before he bought is also in the latest one. He states to the salesperson that his dad had an Impala and the salesperson says I bet your dad's didn't have 16" aluminum wheels and a spoiler. I think this commercial will be great for an increase in the Impala sales.

May all have a great weekend and enjoy your Impalas. I know I will tomorrow.
  • Options
    14 months and 4900 miles???
    I thought I put low miles on mine!
    You must have a commute like that guy in the Impala commercial. You just drive one parking space, and you're there.
  • Options
    What are you going to play? Grand Theft Auto?
  • Options
    Gary, sure please make my Focus ZX3 Lime Green metallic with a huge 30 feet wing affixed to the roof, neon lights inside and out, dropped to the ground, fat 18" tires and a folgers coffee can exaust.

Hurry up, can't wait to trade.