Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    This feature is also on the Mazda3 - if you leave the key in the ignition and try to lock the doors using the button on the door, the door will not lock. Also, if you use the keyless remote to unlock the doors, and don't open the door for a certain period of time ( It may be 30 seconds), the doors will automaticlly lock again.

The Elantra GT is definitely a good value for the money, and even though I own a Mazda3 (sedan), you can't go wrong with either. I personally think the Mazda3 hatch is more stylish, and I don't like the new styling changes on the 04 GT, but the GT is no dog either.

Good luck with your search for a new car!
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    All I meant by automatically unlocking doors was when the door is locked... all you have to do is pull the inside lever/handle and the door will unlock without having to press the power lock switch or pull back the button with your finger. Some cars have this feature/some don't. I know GM refuses to put this on any of their cars.

Anyway... I test drove the GT today and liked it. A bit underpowered compared to the 3 and I noticed some vibration at idle.... but I found it actually more comfortable and roomier than the 3.

What I didn't like was the dealership. Sleazorama. Not professional like a Mazda dealership. Are all Hyundai dealers like this? Are any more "upscale"? What's the best one on Long Island/Queens? Anyone?

They gave me a price of $1500 over sticker. Do they think all Hyundai customers are morons. The Mazda people don't seem to play games.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Try another dealer. That one is especially sleazy. Hyundai dealers in general aren't the best, but there are good ones. Was the dealer a stand alone or hooked up with other makes? It seems stand alone dealers work harder for your business since they can't hope you will buy another brand on their lot.
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    i say shop online. the online depts at the dealerships are much easier to deal with. no need to mess with the haggling and sleaze. just figure the price through email and when it is good enough for you, you just go on in, sign the papers and get out. make sure they specify everything before you go in. you do not want them to tag on destination charge, and other weird fees they try. I used carsdirect.com and they have dealers that are supposed to have been screened. Try it out. I think you would like the utility of the GT once you get it. The 3 has more glitz, but at a higher price.
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I agree. Edmunds has a great tool to get price quotes from one or more dealers in the area. That gets you connected with the right sales-person (the volume/internet guy) and since you know what you want, it reduces all the hassles.

IMO, walking in the front door of a dealership without a name in hand is like wearing a target on your chest that says, "try your worst."

Another strategy is to walk in and ask straight away for the sales manager. This can be tricky, but it has usually worked well for me. I walk in, knowing pretty much what I want, what I should have to pay (researching on Edmunds mostly) and I don't want to waste my time, or theirs. That is the key. The sales managers want to make sales, don't want to waste time, and don't appreciate being bothered by tire-kickers.

In your case, I would try this scenario.

Walk in, ask for the manager. Let him know that you are shopping two cars, the Mazda 3 and the GT and that you have been researching both. Tell him that if he could offer you a fair deal and save both of you some time, you would seriously consider a Hyundai. Let him know that if he wants a salesperson to work with you, that is fine (he won't trade you back to the floor, unless he is truly swamped) but that if you detect any crap, you will just walk and follow through with the deal waiting for you at Mazda.

Tell him to save the BS for someone else and give you a price that will meet or beat an internet-direct purchase. (You really need to know what that price is going to be before you go in.)

Honestly, I would do the internet purchase inquiry, then go from there. My purchase from the Scottsdale Pitre Hyundai dealership was quick and painless...

Though do be careful of the F&I guys...they are sometimes worse than the sales staff. :)

Are you bringing in your own financing on this one? Might not be a bad idea.
  • Options
    decidingdeciding Member Posts: 3
    both have AT and mats as the only options...the gt.
     is 12,300 plus ttl the scion is 14,300....is the gt price awesome ??!! and is this a no brainer
  • Options
    12,300 after the $2000 rebate... correct?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Scions aren't in Missouri until June so just saw my first XB a month ago. Expected it to be a dimbulb car, but up close and personal I liked it a lot. The Elantra is still a better car for the money but if I was buying another car the Scion would definitely get a look...
  • Options
    orlickiorlicki Member Posts: 7
    I've recently been looking at both the Mazda3 and Elantra GT. After much consideration and test driving both, I just felt more comfortable in the 3. I've got a deposit down for a 3 hatch 5sp, ABS, moonroof, leather. The Elantra is a great car, though, and if you can find one with ABS I would go for it. Best of luck.
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    While I was waiting for my car at the dealer, I checked out the new Malibu Maxx. The sticker was a bit of a shock; pimped out, the total was near $30k!!! The base price on the sticker was $24k. I was rather disappointed in the rear cargo area as it is rather small and shallow considering how big the vehicle is. The rear seat is limo-like, however, and the fit and finish throughout are top notch. While I rather like the Malibu, it is not worth the price of TWO Elantra GT's! IMHO. :)
  • Options
    virgcrim04virgcrim04 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased an Elantra 5-Dr hatchback. Really enjoy this car. The dealer is supposed to throw in free mudflaps, but in checking with them, all I hear is they are on back order! Does anyone know if this is true? I feel the dealer/salesperson is pretty honest. I found out the flaps are not coming from S. Korea, but from 2-3 manufacturing sites in the country. I know this is minor, but it peeves me. Any suggestions?Thanks.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I happened to measure the rear cargo area floor of the Maxx, Elantra GT, and other hatchbacks at my local auto show and found the Elantra compares very well there. Of course the Maxx has a little more vertical space because the hatch angle is more vertical than the GT's, and that rear seat leg room on the Maxx is really impressive--with available DVD player. But the GT is a much, much better value--unless you have some really long-legged rear seat passengers.
  • Options
    to hear from original owners of Elantra GT's with high mileage. How have they held up? Average mileage?

I ordered a Mazda 3... but have had second thoughts...especially after looking at the Mazda 3 problems and solutions board. Sheez.. I've only seen 6 so far on the road and there are over 400 posts on a problems board already?

So.. I guess even if it is a Japanese car..it's still in it's first year. I'm not buying a new car so I can have headaches like my old LeBaron (which has a more comfortable driver's seat than the 3 BTW).

Does anyone know when the 2005 Elantra comes out? Will it have Side curtains like the new Spectra?
  • Options
    wannagtwannagt Member Posts: 7
    Okay...........you guys have sold me. I'm gonna get a GT. After reading every scrap of info i could find on it, i'd like to have some owner opinions about the fuel mileage. Is there a significant difference in mileage between the auto and the five spd.? I will be doing mostly back and forth driving to work with some highway driving in between. Is there a mileage diff between the auto and stick, and is it big enough to buy the manual trans over the auto?
  • Options
    I have a '01 Elantra GLS 5-speed and a '04 GT automatic. Since break-in I've averaged about 28 mpg in city driving in the GLS, a little lower in winter and a litte higher in warmer weather. Best mpg I've achieved on the highway on a long trip was 35, with A/C on. My GT only has 500 miles on it, but so far I am getting about 25 in city driving and about 35 on in-town freeways, driving moderately (meaning no more than 65-70 on highways, anticipating stops, no jackrabbit take-offs etc.). That is without A/C on. I've noticed the rpms are about 10% lower with the automatic than the 5-speed, so that should help mpg on highway driving (plus it also reduces engine noise a bit). I think that is pretty good considering the engine isn't broken in yet, and the EPA rating on the GT is 24/32 (25/33 on my GLS). Another thing to consider is that the automatic is covered under the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty, while some parts of the manual transmission are considered normal wear items and are not covered. Personally I like the extra pep of the 5-speed, but the automatic is smooth and is much nicer for driving in rush-hour traffic.
  • Options
    jimijamesjimijames Member Posts: 41
    I own a 02 GLS auto (23k miles) and 03 GT 5spd (13k miles). I drive the GT mostly highway and my wife drives the GLS mostly city. big diff in mileage, average 33mpg for GT and about 26mpg for the GLS. Bear in mind, my GT 'highway' driving is in Mass where highway means speed varies from 15mph to 80...several times in the same trip!

We recently took the GLS on a long highway trip and finally got 31mpg. We once took the GT on a long backroads journey (50-60mph, few traffic lights) and I squeezed out 35mpg. The GT has never dipped below 30mpg.

The 5 spd is alot more efficient than the auto in the elantras. My only complaint about the 5 spd is in my car the rpm either drops too slowly or even increases between shifts (my worthless dealer says that's normal).
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    The dealers dont know what to say when you report "the five speed has a long hang time between shifts". My dealer actually told me its designed that way to help you shift (an automatic heel and toe). The truth is a lot of cars are doing this and it has to do with emissions. The hang time between shifts is supposed to cause a cleaner running engine. Having said that my 01 GT stopped doing it after about 10K miles.
  • Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    We have a 2004 GT 5-speed. We average about 25 mpg city and on a recent trip 35 mpg all highway. I once told you guys my wife got 39 mpg on a trip, but we have not been able to do that again, so it might have been a fluke. Ours also does not drop the rpm very fast between shifts, but I have learned to live with it. I like clean air. Interesting that 5sport reports that his Elantra stopped doing so after 10000 miles. Still love our car.
    Niels
  • Options
    calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    So far, I have logged more than 42,000 miles on a GT 2002. 50/50 city and highway (min 250 miles trips), car at times heavily loaded, with a ski box, a trailer or bike support, summer and winter, etc. No problems so far except a few bulb replacements. Average consumption has been steady at 8.3 L/km (city/highway) and 9.3 L/km (city/highway loaded or winter driving).
    Maintenance has been limited to the Hyundai recommended Schedule. I wish I could add to this, but there is not much more to say!
  • Options
    I confirm that Hyundai parts for accessories come from 2-3 places around the country. Your dealer is not pulling you for a trip. I actually work a few minutes from a hyundai supply warehouse in Aurora, Illinois (just outside chicago).

I have 28,000 miles with my 03 GT. Went to Lake Geneva, WI for the weekend and lugged a full sized keyboard, and two large duffels. Split folding seats and removable hatch cover came in handy. No problems mechanically. Smooth riding. Averaged 34 mpg in mostly light traffic.
  • Options
    bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    ...you guys are inspirational; this talk of no worries in tens of thousands of miles just makes the time seem longer between now and Friday, when I trade in my '95 sonata for a new GT hatch... can't wait!
  • Options
    blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    That's because it's used the most. Including return trips for everything from stripping the threads on the oil pan drain plug on our 1st oil change to leaving the the filter cover off on our last visit. Other major failures include fuel pump and main computer. I havn't seen the Mazda 3 yet but I would take it over our 2001 GT.
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    My '03 GT, 5-spd has had few problems in just over 11k miles:

Tape on the window seals did starp to warp and had to be replaced.

Tape keeps slipping out from under the spoiler wing. Will get that fixed at next service (second time)

Battery failed at almost exactly 12 months of ownersip. But in Phoenix, batteries are short-lived items. Replaced two in my BMW 318ti in just over three years prior to the Elantra.

Had a failed clip on the engine coolant return hose, spilled coolant (slow leak) onto the engine and made a mess. Didn't lose enough to cause any mechanical problems, was fixed when I brought it in for the battery.

The tweeters on the stereo blew out and were replaced under warranty.

Currently, the CD player is showing some signs of malfunction. When I hit a large-type bump on the road (all of our highways are under constant construction these days) it sometimes jumps from radio to CD playback. Also had a problem trying to load a CD one day. I toggled the power and it worked fine again. I intend to have it looked at, but the problems have been completely intermitant, and even the "bumping" problem doesn't happen every time I hit the same bumps on the road.

All in all, I am very happy. These are all minor problems, and most of it is OEM, non-Hyundai parts failures. The clip on the coolant hose is the only thing I blame back to the original design. The speakers, CD player and even the battery are all spec'd source items that might have been the "cheap" buy for Hyundai, I don't know. But I can live with those issues. Service has been great and I would definately recommend these cars to people in the market for reliable and cheap transportation.

I plan to dump the OEM speakers for aftermarket within a year anyways...cheap paper-cone separates are the norm for OEM stereos. The CD player...well, I expected better.

As for mileage. Early on, I could only average 23-25 mpg with mostly city driving...and light driving at that. Since changing jobs, I now do a 18 mile commute on mostly freeways (heavy traffic) and get between 27-31 mpg depending on heat, traffic, and fuel mix.

Favorite Features: cruise control
    Least favorite: no stereo upgrade package offered, poor speakers, low power

Wish I had: ABS

Now that I am in heavy commutes, I wish I had the auto...but the 5-speed drives much more sporty and is a bit more fun...just a major pain in stop and go.
  • Options
    It seems to me that service techs stripping the threads on the oil pan and leaving the filter cover off are service problems with the dealership, not "major failures" of the car. On many cars, a fuel pump and computer failure--which do happen to other cars--wouldn't even be covered after the first 3 years.

I've seen the Mazda3s 5-door and it's very nice, but not worth the price premium over the Elantra GT IMO. Also, the Mazda3 is not without its problems, as noted in the Mazda3 boards here.
  • Options
    aziletazilet Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2004 GT hatchback, I'm really happy with it so far. It is comfortable and seems solid, gets great gas mileage with 2500 miles on it. My daughter is comfy in the back seat and our two dogs, lab mix and beagle mix, fit easily in the hatch area -- but they don't stay put. I'd love to keep my brand new car clean! Does anyone know of a pet barrier that will fit this style hatchback?
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    I have an '00 GLS that has had few problems in 60,000 miles - plug wires, battery (pro-rated),
    transmission solenoid (which I wasn't sure was
    broken, but they replaced it), and door lock
    actuator. Still on the original brakes, just
    replaced the Michelins for the first time.

On my '04 GT, the hood latch came loose, fixed at first oil change. Mileage, mostly highway with some stop & go, is about 31-32 after 8,000 miles.
  • Options
    nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    Bought new with 10 miles on it. So far has near 17K miles. It gets 25 mpg when driving locally in Daly City, California (if you have been here, you know how steep and curvy the roads are). When cruising on highway, it can be up to 33 mpg easily without sudden speeding or braking.

Having had all routine services done in a Hyundai dealship and no major problems so far. The door tape had the common pilling-off flaw and was fixed under warranty. Just recently, the clock has turned itself off and back on a few occasions. But interestingly, it didn't lose any time. I wonder if this is temperature related since it is hot like crazy these few days. Other than that, the car is performing very well. I do expect to change the brake pads and the OEM tires after 35K miles under current driving conditions.
  • Options
    I had an intermittent clock like you have when my car was 6 months old. Complained to the dealer about it. They had one in stock and replaced it no questions. They were able to duplicate the problem by reaching behing the dash and pushing on the rear of the clock. I have an 01 GT...20K miles.
  • Options
    proggerprogger Member Posts: 2
    Approaching the 2 year mark on my 02 AT GT. Have about 20K miles. Warranty work- warped rotors replaced, (cause of infamous shimmy) motor on windshield wipers, a second wiper problem fixed. Recall on rear brakes, OEM tires were replaced. Overall I am satisfied. Gas mileage varies, but acceptable. I would consider another GT or Sonata in the future if incentives are right.
  • Options
    tisbe3tisbe3 Member Posts: 10
    GT manual in silver, 5-door. I was set to buy an Accent, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $12,146 out-the-door including tax, reg/title and docs.

I'm noticing a few things so far:

- the hard-plastic on the interior door panel by the window switches, is relentless (left leg/knee keeps bashing into it). All the other surfaces (armrest etc.) are soft/padded. I will probably just stick some soft padding against that piece.

- the digital clock, and to a lesser extent the trip meter, give off some glare on the windshield. Will probably stick something over the top of them so they don't shine upwards.

- There is in orange writing a message in center panel, "passenger airbag off" or something like that. Any ideas? Will ask the dealer about it soon...

- The seat padding near the lower back seems to stick out a bit more than I expected - guess will get used to it.

- Once, the car wouldn't start, I guess because the clutch safety switch wasn't kicking in... I just re-engaged the clutch and it clicked. Just happened one time.

All in all, very pleased with the car, the deal, the warranty, the whole package.
  • Options
    tisbe3, I picked up a sterling 5s yesterday for just about the exact deal that you got - I paid $12,800ish, including the bumper-to-bumper 100k extension. To address a couple of points,

• the "passenger airbag off" indicator is a feature that disables the passenger airbag if the seat doesn't detect anyone over a certain weight in it. Hyundai strongly discourages allowing children to ride in that seat. Kinda nice, 'cuz if you hit something, that's one less airbag you have to replace.

• that seat padding at the lower back - you probably know this, but if not, you can fiddle with the knobs to the left of the driver's seat and adjust fore/aft seat height. That could help. I had it in my '95 Sonata, and it's nice to see here as well... really helps fine-tune the fit.
  • Options
    There is a lumbar support adjuster on the left side of the seat back. Adjusting that may reduce the amount the seat padding "sticks out".
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I now have 43,000 on my automatic silver GT with ABS and traction control. Had the threads stripped by a dealer doing an oil change. After a few phone calls and a letter to corporate, Hyundai reimbursed me for the full $400+ cost. Other than a left front headlight (would be the one where you need to disconnect the battery) short, a seat track the dealer said should be replaced because their test driver noticed a slight rock and a faulty fuel gauge, no other problems. Averaging around 28 overall in suburban driving and around 33 on the highway with A/C on. Tires still look good. Rear brakes at 30,000 and that's it.
  • Options
    int0jesusint0jesus Member Posts: 3
    Hello, just want to say that i just got my new black 2004 Elantra GT 5 door 2 days ago and I couldn't be more happier. I went out the door paying 15,800 with the package 8 (sun/moonroof, anti-lock brakes). It seems that you guys know alot more about the car than me, so i hope to gain a wealth of knowledge from you guys. Yay!
  • Options
    welcome. congrats on the new car. i hope you will have many good stories to come.
  • Options
    tapointertapointer Member Posts: 5
    How are some of you guys finding 04 Elantra GT's with package 8(moonroof, abs/tcs)? I live in Philadelphia and have literally been looking for a Tidal Wave blue GT hatchback with package 8 since September. None of the dealers around here carry any Elantras with abs/tcs nor can they order them. Is there a trick to finding this car or something? This is really frustrating!
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    There was no package 8 availability for the Hatchback in the northern Virginia area in March and April (we looked for about two months). One dealer had three GT sedans in package 8, but we really wanted the hatchback. We ended up getting package 7 . . . surprising from an insurance standpoint, it made no difference in the premium. (I got a quote for both before buying the car and it was the same.)
  • Options
    I wonder what the percentage of Elantra GT's Hyundai makes with ABS/TCS? I really believe it's less than 5 percent. I am almost to the point of giving up on ever finding this car. I cannot for the life of me understand how Hyundai can advertise ABS/TCS as an option for this car when you have a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting it, especially in tidal wave blue! I'll continue to search for it but my patience is really running thin.
  • Options
    Here in the Twin Cities I had no trouble finding package 8s when I was looking in March, as long as they were automatics. But I had a lot of trouble finding one in Rally Red.
  • Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I saw a tidalwave 5-door with pkg 8 at my local dealer Friday, only it was with auto. We got our crimson 5-speed pkg 8 after ordering it and waiting about 4 weeks.
    Niels
  • Options
    I live in Philadelphia and let me tell you, I have never seen a 2004 GT hatch with package 8, only 2 GT sedans and they sold in no time. I've been looking since September and have been to over a dozen dealers. For some reason, this part of the country hardly gets any Elantras with the abs/tcs option. I have no idea why, especially since it's densely populated. I even called Hyundai consumer services and they did dealer inventory searches but came up empty. Some dealers told me that the abs/tcs option isn't popular and that's why it's rarely seen on these cars while other dealers told me they're losing sales because customers want the option but can't find it. Where do you guys live that you have cars with the abs/tcs option available? Why doesn't Hyundai distribute these cars evenly across the country?
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    HYUNDAI DOES NOT MANUFACTURE THEIR OWN ABS/TC FOR THE ELANTRA, THEREFORE SUPPLY AND COST CONSIDERATIONS ARE MAKING THIS A RARE OPTION THIS YEAR. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL CHANGE SOON, BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM LIKELY
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Sorry about the caps lock
  • Options
    Where, other than my local dealer, can i get acargo tray? Any cheaper?
  • Options
    There's a company that advertises in all the major auto mags (probably can't mention the name or post a link, can I?) that makes cargo trays for most vehicles. You could compare their price to that of your dealer. You might also try eBay.
  • Options
    I've finally returned..........to my driving roots. I'm driving a hatchback again. Bought a nice '02 Elantra GT. The very first car i owned as a 16 year old was a 1974 Chevy Vega GT. Bucket seats and hatchback. As a matter of fact, I still have that car, only it rides around with a small block chevy 327 and muncie 4-speed (how's that for a tuner upgrade? We called it roddin 'em up back then.) Throughout the late 70's and 80's I've owned many more hatchbacks. Some include, an '87 Nova, a'77 Mustang II, '85 Dodge Daytona, and an '84 Honda Accord among others. In the 90's I fell into the very large crowd of SUV drivers. UGH!? I'd forgotten how much fun a sporty little hatch was to drive. That coupled with the fact that car companies just weren't building a hatchback anymore. Oh they were building the "5-door", but with the squared off rear end, this was nothing more than a smaller version of my mom's station wagon. Something about that large back window sloping down to the rear bumper just gets me i guess. Gotta love the utility of this little car also. With the rear seats folded down, you can really pack it in back there. More room than my previous SUV. Couple that with all the creature comforts, great gas mileage, and power amenities, and the Hyundai Elantra GT is probably THE BEST hatchback i have ever owned or driven. Sorry for my long winded testament, but the Elantra has awakened a long slumbering love affair i've always had with the hatchback. Thanks for listening and enjoy the ride......................
  • Options
    You too? I've never seen someone wax so poetic about hatches. I've had my share also (Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, Chevy Sprint Turbo, Suzuki Swift GT, Civic Si hatch, Fiat 128 3P). From your comment on the Vega it looks like we are about the same age. If you like the GT now just add a B&M short shift kit and Tib rear sway bar. You'll like it even more. Enjoy your GT.
  • Options
    Thanks, 5port..........I did make one concession to older age (40) and got the auto. I do plan on making some upgrades to this neat little car though. A Tib sway bar is in the plans, and then a kick-[non-permissible content removed] sound system (some things never change). One item i always thought looked great on a HB is a rear window louver. I wonder what it'd look like on the elantra. I gotta think some white letter tires would really set it off too. I'll let ya know..........
  • Options
    ...there's a company in Korea that makes a (roughly US$152) spoiler that sits over the rear window, but that's all I've seen that comes close to what you describe... if you find one, please post details in here! Thanks!
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I saw a GT with a whale tail-type spoiler. It looked very good as it was pretty flat and flush with the rear deck. Anybody see one like that? I'd love to get one for myself!
    As far as hatchback pluses, I recently bought a portable a/c unit-the kind you can roll room to room-and the box was quite large. The box was about 4'x16" sq. I was able to fit it in lengthwise with only the larger half of the rear seat folded down and the parcel shelf was in place! Amazing what this car can hold!