Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I usually stop pumping at the first click and over several gas fillups you will see it is fairly consistent. Your average gas consumption will show up this way. The reason I wrote about using the total odometer reading was so you can use the trip meter for other purposes.

Niels
  • Options
    orlickiorlicki Member Posts: 7
    My dad recently purchased an '03 elantra hatch, automatic, but during his testdrives he also tried the manual transmission. I'm looking into an elantra now, but he mentioned that the clutch and break pedal were located close together, that it was difficult to depress the break pedal without also hitting the clutch. I've got large feet (sz 14 shoes), so is this a realistic problem? I think the MT will be more fun to drive and cheaper to operate, so that would be my first choice. Anyone else have luck with the MT with large feet? Thanks.
  • Options
    kev02gtkev02gt Member Posts: 12
    My son and I also wear size 14 shoes and neither of us have any problem working the clutch (or brake) in our 2002 GT 5 speed. When I was shopping for the GT I testdrove a 1999 Saab 9-3 5 speed, I found those pedals to be too close. But why not find out for yourself and testdrive one!
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I wear size 11s...but I am almost always in Doc Martens, which have a fat sole on them. I have never had much problem with the spacing. In fact, it is much easier to negotiate then my 318ti was...

You are gonna have to test drive them...but I would add, if you enjoy driving, the 5-speed is the superior choice.

The auto is "ok" but it is not very smooth, it hunts and pecks a bit, and zaps precious hp away from an engine that is just powerful enough...robbing a few more away is harsh. I wanted an auto, but after driving both, I just couldn't do it.

I live in Phoenix and have to run the AC all the time. The 5-speed with AC on drives like the auto without the AC on...put the AC on in the auto and you really start to feel the car drag. For those rare days here when AC isn't needed, the 5-speed drives almost sporty.

Had my GT in the shop last week and snagged a Sonata for the day. It was nice, but when I got back in my GT, I realized how much more sporty and sure-footed the GT is compared to the Sonata (I4 engine)...very happy with the GT.
  • Options
    That's right...the Chianti Red GT had a problem.

First things first, it did strand me at work. The car had no juice.

Good things:

Called the roadside assistance, got a jump and was able to drop it at the dealer - no charge (thanks Hyundai).

The dealer kindly gave me a loaner Sonata to use for the night, since it was closing time.

The dealer also address two less-severe issues (cracked, leaking, coolant hose and the window tape issue) as well as performing the 7,500 mile check up.

Complained about a blown tweeter resulted in two new ones being installed...sounds much better without the buzzing on the guitar parts on my favorite CDs.

Asked about upgrading to the OEM stereo for the '04s...that ain't gonna happen at the prices they charge, maybe I can snag someone's when they go After-market.

Overall, my service was handled great. No complaints or problems. I did get stranded, but the Hyundai service was perfect and they kept me going with barely a hiccup. Can't complain about that.

I am concerned about the battery issue. Phoenix-weather seems to eat batteries...guess I should budget in a new battery for next year, since it is certain to go out right after my 2-year warranty on batteries expires. This one died at almost exactly the 1 year mark.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input re: pedal position. I'll test drive this weekend or next, probably. I'm looking forward to trying the manual, since I've been driving an auto since I started driving. Cheers.
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    Howdy! I am considering adding wind deflectors that mount on the edges of your windows and also a moon roof deflector as well. For those who have them already, do they work well? I am going to go in for a 24k mile service soon, anything yall recommend for that? I have just been doing oil changes at 5k miles and changed my air filter recently.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone know what's planned for the 05 models? Major redesign or not? Thanks.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Given the '04 was tweaked heavily, in line with the usual Hyundai pattern of a refresh for Year 4, there should be no major changes for '05. A full redesign is due for the '06 model year, based on the new platform being used now for the '05 Spectra/Cerato. The new joint-venture engines (Hyundai/Mitsubishi/DC) are due about that time too.
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I just installed a full set of WeatherTech WeatherFlectors on my GT, and a front set on my wife's Sonata. They're a little pricey, but they seem to be well-made. They virtually eliminate wind noise when you need to vent the interior. I would definitely recommend getting the front sets, which are "wedged" in position. The rear set is held only by a thin adhesive strip, and I'm not confident that they're going to hold. I also wonder what the ramifications will be in automatic car washes.

Installation is pretty straightforward. They recommend temperatures over 50°F. Believe them. To ease installation, I recommend that you thoroughly clean the upper inch of the window, as well as the weatherstripping, then wipe silicon lubricant on the weatherstrip, the outside top 1/2" of the window, and the WeatherFlector's microchannel flange.

My GT doesn't have a sunroof wind deflector; the Sonata does. Since I can't detect any discernible difference with or without it, I honestly don't see the need for it. There's a small mechanical windfoil that activates whenever the roof is slid back. It seems to work well enough.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The new Spectra is using the current Elantra platform, as some of the magazines are reporting. Engine and wheelbase are the same, and I spent time poking around inside one at the Chicago auto show. H-point, cowl, pedal, and steering column positions were so very familiar -- like being in my car, with only cosmetic differences. A peek under the hood at cowl and strut position confirmed this. It makes sense to continue using this platform for the Spectra to reduce expenses, even after the Elantra is redesigned.
  • Options
    OK, but I have read that the new Spectra uses the platform for the next-gen Elantra. I was surprised when I read that, so it looks like those reports were in error. Thanks for the correction. I also read the Spectra was supposed to be class-leading in interior room. How did it compare to the Elantra, especially in the rear seat and the cargo area of the hatchback? The Spectra is more upright in back than the Elantra, so I suspect it has slightly more rear headroom and cargo space.
  • Options
    So in my continuing search for my new vehicle, I've test driven the '04 Elantra GT HB, and it was great. I've been looking for a manual transmission package with option pkg 8, e.g. ABS & Traction control. In the Baltimore area I think I've only heard of one or two Elantras with ABS, and they were automatic. Does anyone know if this distribution of product is a quirk of the Hyundai manufacturing cycle (will the "batch" of ABS elantras be forthcoming), or do they just not produce many fully optioned Elantra HB's? Thanks.
  • Options
    We bought a 2004 GT 5-door....5-speed about 6 weeks ago. Had to order it, took 3-4 weeks because we wanted it delivered by truck. We wanted ABS with traction control, but had to get the sunroof also to get it. That is
    the way it is with the GT. It was not hard. good luck.
    Niels
  • Options
    Does the wind deflector reduce overall sound in the cabin of the car? I want to decrease highway noise as much as I can.

Anyone ever buy a soundproofing option from a dealer or came up with creative ways to reduce the noises from outside?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    A relatively easy way to reduce tire noise is to add sound dampening material to the spare tire well. This area is a major source of road noise in hatchbacks because the metal is thin, there is no sound deadening material (and no trunk to separate the noise from the interior), and there is often a drain hole open to the outside. There is a product called Dynamat which works well in this instance. It's basically a composite sheet of material about 1/8 of an inch thick that can be cut to fit whatever you need it to. It's very similar to the padding they put down under your home's carpet as insulation. It's also used as insulation for stereo speaker locations to magnify sound and reduce bass induced buzzing.

If you lift up your cargo carpet, you will see just how thin the carpet is and how there is no insulation. You could place a sheet of Dynamat under your rear carpet, covering the entire area from the back seat to the back of the cargo area and you will notice much less noise coming from this area. Dynamat can be stuck permanently in place by pulling off its backing. However, I would just cut it to fit your hatch area and place it under the carpeting, that way you can lift it up along with the carpet when you need to get to the spare tire. Dynamat doesn't like to bend much so it's easier to keep it as a flat panel anyway.

I have used this product in my 00 Accent hatchback and my 03 Tiburon and in both cases the amount of noise coming from the back end was greatly reduced. You can buy Dynamat at stereo oriented stores, but I would do a search online and find a cheaper price. It would cost about $100 to insulate your hatch area.
  • Options
    Some GT pics from the 2004 Greater Twin Cities Auto Show. They had a blue GT sedan also.

http://www.tcinternet.net/users/backman5/p1010050.jpg

http://www.tcinternet.net/users/backman5/p1010051.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone get a good deal lately on the Hyundai extended warranty, which takes the bumper-to-bumper warranty out to 10 years/100k miles?
  • Options
    My ext. warranty cost about $900
  • Options
    That's better than the $1299 the dealer quoted me the other night. I told him at that price, I'll wait and shop around. I recall when I shopped around for a warranty on my '01 GLS I got a quote under $1000.
  • Options
    Nice GT pics. Did you get a chance to look at the Spectra?
  • Options
    Yes, I did and I posted a review of it in the 2005 Cerato/Spectra board. I also took one for a test drive this weekend. Very nice car, but unfortunately because they decided to go with the single-lever seat height adjuster vs. the dual-knob approach, I couldn't get the drivers seat adjusted so it's comfortable, which knocks the Spectra out of future consideration by me. I sure hope Hyundai doesn't go that route when they redesign the Elantra.

BTW, the GT in the pics is exactly the one I am picking up tonight--well, not the same exact car of course, but same color and options.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new car! Will this replace your GLS (Betsy's twin -- in the Twin Cities!) or are you a two-Elantra household now?

I think Hyundai will make the smart choice and keep their good seat adjusters. Over the years they have retained the best features and added better ones to their cars. Besides, doesn't the Spectra still have roll-up windows and no A/C? Or am I mistaken?

My only wish is that Hyundai would decide on a "face" for their cars and a different "face" for Kia-branded cars. To me the Spectra looks like a big brother to the Accent (pre-facelift), and the new Tucson looks like a little brother to the Sorrento (with that chrome strip through the grille). Too much mixing.
  • Options
    The base Spectra LX has manual windows and no A/C, yes. The EX has those standard, as well as 6-speaker CD stereo. The value proposition of the LX escapes me, since A/C is about $900 and once you add that to the LX you're getting close to EX territory. IMO the new Spectra looks a lot better than the Accent--much rounder.

The GT will keep my '01 GLS company in the garage. The bad news is, the GT will be my wife's car (with automatic). However, she said I can drive it from time to time. ;-)
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the new Elantra gets rid of the 2 height adjuster knobs. My much more expensive Tiburon GT-V6 has only 1 knob even though I think the previous model had 2. Since the Spectra is supposedly built off the new Elantra platform, I would be surprised if they use different seat designs.
  • Options
    jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I've noticed that the driver's seat in the Elantra can buckle a little -- and I think the problem has to do with the adjustment knobs. The passenger side front seat doesn't buckle like this, and neither did the driver seat in the new Spectra when I had a chance to check one out this past weekend. No knobs equals a seat that stays in place!

So, Hyundai will probably go to a less complicated system with the next Elantra. It's possible to have comfortable seats without having 2 loose knobs making it wobbly here and there.
  • Options
    jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    In my 02 Elantra, the seat sometimes squeaks if I make a right turn while the car is moving (versus a right turn after making a stop). Again, I think this is related to the adjustment knobs because the sound is coming from that area. So, either Hyundai should redesign the knobs or just get rid of them like Kia did with the new Spectra.
  • Options
    My 3.5 year old Elantra's driver's seat doesn't wobble or squeak. Other cars, e.g. Protege, use a similar setup; I've driven many of those and not noticed a problem either. If there is a problem, it should be taken to a dealer and fixed. A faulty seat mechanism is not an excuse for replacing a superior design with an inferior design, IMO. The seat track was redesigned in '02 and I expect it was employed no later than the '04 MY in the U.S.--one of the reasons the Elantra will be retested by the IIHS, as the older track design didn't do well on the frontal offset crash test.

If Hyundai uses the same seat design on the next Elantra that Kia used on the new Spectra, I have purchased my last Elantra. The widely adjustable driving position is one of my favorite features of the car.
  • Options
    'I've noticed that the driver's seat in the Elantra can buckle a little -- and I think the problem has to do with the adjustment knobs. '

This may be an obvious statement, but i am not sure of what you mean by the seat buckling...my seat has never "buckled" if buckling means that it semi-collasped. If it means that the seat shifts positions, then perhaps this will help ya out. It may be a result of the seat was not being locked in place when you adjust the seat distance. If you ever wanted to have a good time, adjust the seat while you are coming to a stop. Its like a roller coaster ride. When i adjust the distance of the seat, i usually give the seat a quick jerk by my body movement to hear it lock in place. Otherwise, you will notice a little movement when in motion.
  • Options
    Is there anyone who has a '04 GT who can tell me if there should be a lamp illuminating the shift numbers in the floor console? I realize it would be redundant, because the current gear is displayed on the dash cluster, but many cars have a light in the floor console too.

Well, the good news is my family and I picked up our Rally Red GT with automatic and package 8 tonight. This is one beautiful car, which IMO simply cannot be beat for the money. It will be my wife's daily driver, but she let me drive it home. :-)

Now the bad news. It started when we pulled into a restaurant parkiing lot for dinner. I noticed a couple of small dings on the driver's side C pillar. No big deal, easy PDR job, but not what you want to see on your new baby. Then during dinner I thought some more about the mileage on the car--about 60. The car was supposed to be delivered from about 250 miles away. I also noticed there were some minor scuffs on the lower door panels--not real bad, but like the car had seen its share of passengers.

After dinner, I went back to the dealer to talk with the sales manager. He saw the dings and said "no problem", come in on a Monday when the PDR guy is there and they'd take care of it. Then I asked him about the mileage on the car. At first he said the car came from Rochester. Now, I know where Rochester is and it's more than 60 miles from this dealership. Finally, he came clean and said the car belonged to a dealer in Rochester but had been used at the local Auto Show. (You know those pictures I posted recently? That's my car.) Now I was beginning to get miffed. Who knows how many thousands of people sat in my car (wearing the seats), slammed the doors and hatch etc? I asked him if the car was ONLY at the local Auto Show, and he said yes. Then to placate me he said when I bring it in for the PDR work, he'll have them re-detail it.

When I got home I looked at the window sticker and got more upset. It indicates the car was delivered in Chicago expressly for auto show use. The build date is 10/04. Who knows how many auto shows (including Chicago's?) this car has been in? What I am most upset about is that the sales manager flat lied to me during negotiations, telling me the car was coming from a dealer in Madison or North Dakota, never mentioning the Auto Show(s). I never would have paid the $150 transport fee for an auto show car (which as it turns out was never transported all that far, at least not by my dealer).

This dealer has a three-day, 500 mile no-questions-asked money back guarantee. I am of a mind to go in on Thursday and demand my money back, unless they make a concession or two. I like the car, but there are other GTs out there and other dealers. What would you do? Am I overreacting?
  • Options
    themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Wow, Backy, where do you get all that drama from!

I would say, that if the dealer takes care of your post sale problems, you like the car and you got a good deal, then keep it.

I think I would be upset too, but I am not sure it would be worth giving it back, especially if there are no problems with it. With only 60 miles on the speedo, it is still new.

Keep us posted!

ElantraStan
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Coming home late one night, I had a close encounter with a sofa left on the highway! This is a fairly common occurence in LA it seems. At any rate, I swerved hard to the left to avoid hitting it head on and swerved back to keep from going off the hwy. The sofa made some nice sized dents on the driver's side from behind the front left wheel on back to the rear wheel well. The car handled very well in the emergency maneuver-the tail didn't swing out and the turns were sharp at 60mph! If I had hit it head on it probably would've totaled the front end. Count my blessings I suppose.
    My rental car while my car was being fixed was a Chevy Cavalier. UGH!
    I have to say the Cavelier has more low-end pull and gets the same mileage as my Elantra GT. Other than that, it's more appliance than car. The stereo is also much poorer than the Elantra's.
    My car is supposed to be ready to be picked up tomorrow...I can hardly wait! Missed not having my GT!
  • Options
    goodness, i say return the car and demand your cash back. Deception is enough to leave. The thing is, there will always be another dealership, there will always be another GT. You might as well be fully satisfied with it. The thing the dealership tries to do and what all sales people do is create a sense that you NEED something. THe thing is that you do not NEED it that bad. You can easily go to another place that will treat you better.

I tried internet buying and I was very pleased cause they do not try to squeeze every last cent from you. They get their compensation on quantity sold. So they want you in that car and they want you to write a superior rating on their cust. service survey.

Just a caution to others, what is the dealership that you went to backy? Lets not let others fall into the bait and switch. Under business law, i believe it is the responsibility of the customer to inspect prior to purchase. But it seems like the dealer lied about the product, so that defense is available to you i believe. <-i'm not a lawyer, just someone that paid some kinda attention in business law class. let me know if i am twisting the law.
  • Options
    Good heavens! A sofa is a common occurence on LA highways? I hope you called the police so someone could come out there and move the stupid thing out of the road before someone got injured or killed. Glad your car came out relatively ok. Hope they did a good job fixing it.
  • Options
    Return it! You and me both know that people generally put a car through the ringer at car shows. They want to see how sturdy the car is. They slam the doors, play with all the switches, and thousands of people are sliding their butts across the seats, helping to wear them out. If the dealer has a no nonsense return policy, use it. It will just eat you alive knowing your car was used in this manner before you ever got it. There are plenty of GTs around. Tell them to find you another car just like it or you will take your business elsewhere.
  • Options
    jimijamesjimijames Member Posts: 41
    In a perfect world I agree with anzmonty. This dealer did not act in good faith by selling you a demo car... and it is exactly that, a demo car. Only difference is that it does not have the mileage typically associated with a demo. I say get your money back and find another dealer. Then publish the name of the 1st dealer here so others can avoid them. However, back to my 'perfect world' comment: can you go thru the hassle of being without a car while the dealer gets you your $ back? Something tells me that won't be a speedy process. Do you want to go thru the whole buying process again?

Keep us posted on your decision... at the very least the dealer owes you some serious freebies if they truely care about their customers.
  • Options
    I would ask for a $500 advertising fee for every day it sat on the Auto Show floor. :)

Seriously, many car show cars do get the 5-year old treatment, people flick the switches, steal the radio buttons, yank on the fabric, whatever.

I would ask them to make it right, or make it go away. Sad thing is, it may be a great car even with its abusive beginnings, but it shouldn't be costing you "new" car prices.

The other argument is that if you return it, they will just pawn it off on the next customer, hoping they don't catch the issues before the return guarantee.

In some ways, you might end up lucky that it had a few dings to alert you to its history.
  • Options
    Since themanx mentioned the "drama"--here is the continuing saga...

I took my GLS in for an oil change and a squeak in the clutch pedal today (of course, it didn't squeak for them--probably not warm enough yet.) When I picked my car up, I talked with the sales manager about my new GT. For those who were wondering, this is Denny Hecker's Rosedale Dodge/Hyundai in Roseville, MN. I explained my complaints, and he said that he didn't know the car was an auto show car until after I had picked the car up the night before and he had reviewed the paperwork. He thought it was a dealer's car from Rochester. Since there is a chance that is true, I set that aside and asked what he was willing to do to make me happy and continue as a loyal customer. After some discussion, he suggested free scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years/36,000 miles. (They offered me that package the night before for $499.) I figure that's got to be worth at least $3-400, since it includes the big 30,000 mile service, so I accepted his offer. I'll go in on Monday to have them take the dimples out of the C pillar and pick up the warranty papers--and my jack and toolkit, which I found out were not in the car (I expect they removed them for the auto shows). Then I went home and waxed every last square inch of the car, as I always do with my new cars--door jambs, rocker panels, everything.

So why did I decide to keep this auto show demo car? First, it's exactly the color and equipment I wanted. I haven't found any others like it in town, and the $500 Auto Show rebate expires in a few days. Second, other than the small dimples and a couple of smudges on the door panels, I haven't found anything wrong with the car. The paint is one of the smoothest, glossiest finishes I have seen on almost ANY car--almost zero trace of orange peel. The seams are perfect. No rattles anywhere. No wind noise. Tracks straight, no shimmy. Got 38.2 mpg on the drive home last night, with an automatic on a new engine. Besides, have you ever seen how meticulously they care for the cars in an auto show? Applying more spray wax every couple of hours, etc. The radio panel and HVAC knobs were taken off, the power was off, and the wheel and shifter were locked, so there's only so much damage people could do. Even the mats weren't used in the auto show, and the carpet doesn't show signs of wear. The leather looks fine (maybe it's "broken in".) And if a car is in an auto show, it means it's indoors and not sitting on a lot somewhere getting snowed on. Maybe that's why there's no trace of even fine scratches on the finish (or they buffed it real good). And it only has 60 miles on it, vs. 250 if they really had delivered it from Madison or ND. So maybe I overdramatized my disappointment. Just a little. No Emmy, but I did get a consolation prize. ;-)

As far as Denny Hecker's goes, look at the positives: they did give me a very good deal (IMO), the salesman was very pleasant to work with, the finance/upgrade folks were laid back, and they were concerned about making me happy and offering what I thought was an equitable solution for my angst. And they have very nice shuttle drivers who take me to and from the front door of my downtown office building whenever I come in for service. And free slushies and popcorn. So all in all not a bad outfit.
  • Options
    themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Keep it and be happy.. and enjoy crusing around in your new GT...

ElantraStan
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The free slushies and popcorn would have done it for me.

Seriously, I'm glad you are a happy camper with the dealer and reached an agreement. Are you sure you didn't show him your post here in Town Hall? That alone should have earned you some power <grin>. How bad would it have been for the dealer if you posted that the were unwilling or uncooperative?

Good deal all the way around.

PS - My husband was reading this and wondered if you got the "demo dolly" from the auto show as well. doh!
  • Options
    Actually I think it was fear over what I would put on the Hyundai survey that did the trick.

I didn't see any "demo dollies" at the Hyundai display, but what they did have were some uniformed (tan blazers) corporate Hyundai people who were very knowledgeable about the cars. A nice change from the usual local staff at auto shows, like at the Mazda display ("Uh, I just started this job so I don't know when the Mazda6 Sport Wagon will be available.")

Still wondering though if the shift console is supposed to be illuminated... maybe one of those auto show goers stole the light bulb! ;-)
  • Options
    good to hear that you are well taken care of. I would totally go for slushies and popcorn. But do you really need something cold when you are in the frozen state of MN?
  • Options
    Hey, it's sunny and 53 here today! Got to open the sunroof!
  • Options
    sounds like they made a good and fair attempt to satisfy you.

Congrats on your new addition. I think I would have taken a car show car myself if I could have gotten the Blue metallic with sunroof and ABS, manual transmission...

As it is, my 2003 Chianti Red 5-speed with sunroof (no ABS) has been a good car. No regrets having choosen it over any of its competition. Have a few minor complaints and surprises, but overall, I think this is as good as my Honda Civic during its first year and has alot more bells and whistles.

First thing I had to do with the Honda was trash the AM/FM radio and put in my own aftermarket stuff. The Elantra's radio, while not amazing, is perfectly fine and didn't require an immediate upgrade, which makes me happy. I am tired of spending another $1000 on stereo equipment just to make the car an enjoyable environment.

My AC is much better than the old BMW.

The seats are comfy and I like having leather.

It is always a surprise to new friends and coworkers when they get in for the first time that...as they say: "This is a Hyundai?!?"

Then I tell them what they cost and I know they can appreciate the good deal.
  • Options
    lakespringerlakespringer Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying the cargo tray for an 04 elantra hatchback. Any experiences good or bad? A forum search didn't turn up much...
  • Options
    We bought one and I am glad. Stuff does not slide around so much as on the original floor covering. It very sturdy and gives you peace of mind. You cannot hurt it and it hoses off. Might also work as a sound deadener in the 5-door.
    Niels
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I have the cargo tray and it has saved me a few times when liquid has spilled in the cargo area. My emergency tool kit does slide around, though. It's a big, orange tackle box. As it does have a lip around the edge you may have to remove it when loading stuff with the seats down.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Has anyone here test drove the Elantra GT and Mazda 3S 5 door back to back?

I'm waiting for my 3 to come in and getting second thoughts. The Elantra GT has seats that are more adjustable than the 3. There seems to be more legroom in the back. The Elantra also has heated mirrors, a trip computer, courtesy lights on the doors, door locks that open automatically. A longer warranty and less expensive wheels/tires to worry about.

The 3 is more stylish/fun to drive, has a bigger glove compartment (with a lock), better colors, more powerful.

So what do you all think... is the almost loaded Mazda 3 worth almost $4000 more than the Elantra? I went to test the Elantra GT today... but the saleman couldn't find the tester, and it was late. I have to make a decision this week.
  • Options
    You're really going to have to drive the 3s hatch in order to decide. It does have more power than the GT, and IMO the ride of the 3 is more tuned for crisp handling than the GT (although the GT is no slouch). After you've driven both, then you can decide if the price difference is worth it to you. Stylish? That's subjective of course. I just got a loaded GT in Rally Red that I think is mighty sharp--$13,200 + T&L, including all scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years.

One thing you didn't mention is that the GT has a larger cargo area with the rear seats up than does the 3--so a little more utility there. Also, the GT's doors don't automatically unlock. It's just that they don't automatically lock to begin with.

I am skeptical that the price difference is only $4000. Edmunds.com has the TMV of a 3s 5-door with automatic (didn't know if you were getting a stick), moonroof/CD changer, ABS/side bags, leather, and MP3 player as $20,414. I think that's a little pessimistic because I know at least one dealer in my area that will do $500 less than that, no questions asked. But say it's $20k. With current incentives on the GT, and some good negotiating, you should be able to do invoice on the GT before rebates, which are currently $2000. That puts the GT (automatic, package 8) at around $14k. The main thing missing on the GT that's on the 3 would be the CD changer--you could add that aftermarket for $300. The GT has traction control, which can come in handy.

Good luck with your decision--let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    My quote is for 19,700 for auto, leather SAB/ ABS 6CD, moonroof. But they can't tell me when it will arrive in the color I chose, lava orange. My car died today and I want a car this week.

I'm disappointed in that the 3 had a gov't test just released of 4 stars when there are other small cars with 5 stars and Mazda made a deal out of saying Volvo had input on the design. I'm also a little miffed that the Canadian version of the 3 has heated mirrors, but not the US version. That's bee ess. The 3 also has no seat bottom cushion adjustment which makes it a little less comfortable than the Elantra IMO.

What I meant by automatically unlocking doors is that when you pull on lever, it unlocks, something I like.

So... tomorrow I will test the Elantra GT. I loved the way the 3 drove... so I will have to see if $5000-$6000 more is worth it.