Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    southpawbostonsouthpawboston Member Posts: 29
    quote <<Paint...it looks good. and since its exposed to the elements all the time, may need maintenance. Better go and get maaco. Paint is not that big of a deal since you can always have it repainted for not too much $$$>>

not to disagree, azmonty, but i compared the paint quality up close between the new hyundais and hondas/toyotas, and believe me, there is a difference. not enough of a difference to sway me away from the hyundai (i did buy one, after all). but there is the difference, and perhaps that is one factor reflected in the cost of the car. granted, from a few feet away, it looks great. but if you're an anal retentive detail freak (like myself), you'll notice the difference.

plus, having your car repainted professionally in the future costs $$$, and unless you're willing to pay thousands, it'll never match the quality of even the factory hyundai paint. the low end maaco specials will never match the original paint jobs in terms of quality or longevity.
  • Options
    nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    I have my 02 Elantra GT auto for over one year noew. After putting some 15K miles, the car performs flawlessly, not even a rattle. I traded-in an 02 Civic LX auto (bought new and drove for about half a year) for this Elantra.

Right now, the only thing I might miss is the gas mileage. Other than that, I will make the same decision any day. (Did I mention that the brand new Civic was having a few loud rattles just after 1 month driving?)

Overall, I am very pleased with my Elantra. If you ask, here are the complaints I have so far:
    1. Average gas mileage--27mpg based on 70% highway daily.
    2. Peeled out blackout tape on the driver's door--since others reported the replacement is no better, I will keep it like that until Hyundai offers new solution
    3. Engine sounds very lound every morning after starting--goes away completely after the car warms up
    4. Body lean and understeer over fast corner (Yes, the Civic is better in this area)
    5. Kinda soft feel brakes--I don't have ABS. Probably I am going to put aftermarket brake pads when time comes

By the way, I am considering to do all the regular service and maintainance work in the local auto shop. Has anybody had experiences with their Elantra? Do I need to bring a new gasket with me when changing oil?

Happy motoring for SF Bay Area.
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    recently do a comparison of the subcompacts?
    As I recall, the GLS came in second to the Protege only because of handling. Everyone pretty
    much agreed that if they'd tested the GT it
    would have won hands-down due to content and
    handling. I've got an '00 GLS that my wife has been rough on, with 57,000 miles on the original tires and brakes, very little has gone wrong -
    battery, plug cables, door lock actuator. All but the battery covered 100% and that was 50%. That's
    why I'm on the way out the door to look at
    '04 GT's, finally.
  • Options
    stevelbertstevelbert Member Posts: 6
    I just went over 4000 miles last week(bought the car-03 gt hatch,chianti red/auto/abs/tc/sunroof on July 24th.)

So far, no problems other than the peeling tape, which the dealer replaced. I heard there was a brake recall, but no notice yet. I went on a 392 mile (each way) road trip and averaged 30.2 something for the trip. Mostly highway, average speed 65-70. Car ran great the who;e trip.
    I had my first oil change at about 3500 miles, local shop. I bought a fumoto valve and had them install it.

So after 4.4 months, I am still very happy with my GT, and if you knew me, that's a record.....

steve
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    Nodule,

Very smart of you to put yourself through this mental exercise, I did, and I spent almost a year comparing and contrasting cars in a variety of pricepoints.

Here are my conclusions:

In the under $15k world, nothing comes close to offering you a comparible set of features, performance, or warranty. Hondas and Toyotas are nice, but they are not any more sturdy than my GT is, My old Civic ('96 HX) was easy to ding and scratch. I had a couple of drunken fools run over my Civic and left foot-sized dents in the hood, roof, and trunk. I had my Honda in for three minor service repairs during my short 36k mile warranty and once shortly after, twice to replace a very poorly designed power-window railing that both times dropped the window into the door during freezing Minnesota winters.

I like the GT, but I also don't expect that it will be as sturdy as a BMW. You ARE buying an economy car, and I doubt the sheetmetal is any thicker on a Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, or Honda. You want a car that won't ding? Buy a Saturn. (Yuck.)

Reliability to me is relative. If you truly want to hold onto a car for 100,000 miles...then smart money says that no economy car is 100%. Hondas and Toyotas are good, but I don't honestly believe that they are any better currently than Nissan, Mazda or Hyundai. If they are better, it is by a thin margin, not the gap that existed 10 years ago.

I bought the GT because I couldn't qualify a loan for the Volvo S40 and because the only car I would even consider that was close in price to the GT was a VW Jetta, which has a recent string of bad reliability issues, and the Jetta is much more expensive.

Sentras are nice, don't get me wrong, but the Elantra is a better styled, better optioned vehicle that has a much better warranty and a growing fan base. This is the best comprimise of costs in the market and the only econocar I know of that feels like a luxury car when you are driving it...leather seats, good stereo, power everything, inexpensive sunroof...

The only thing I didn't like was the engine (low MPG) and the auto transmission (poor shifting), so I got the 5-speed...which is not geared for performance, sadly, but for smooth driving. Even so, it is a sporting car, about 90% as fun as driving my old BMW 318ti and even more luxurious.

FWD 138 hp econocars can't be the end all be all...but this one is pretty close.
  • Options
    I am 32, male, single, and have owned the following cars in my life:

1984 VW Rabbit Diesel 2-door 4-spd (drove it from 88-91, putting almost 70k miles on it as a teen.)
    1986 Saab 900S 5-spd (terrible car, loved it to death and it just kept breaking down on me.)
    1995 Infiniti G20 5-spd (closest comparison to the GT in terms of performance/luxury/driving characteristics)
    1996 Honda Civic HX Auto (CVT - was an ok car that never inspired me, stereo was cheap, but the car held to gether fine, except the windows, great MPG)
    1995 BMW 318ti 5-spd (bought it with 50k miles in 2000, drove it a total of 24k miles in the next three years, heading back to school for masters, wanted something with a warranty, BMW repairs can get expensive fast)
    2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 5spd - now has just over 5k miles, narry a glitch, tape is slipping along doors, mileage is less than hoped for, but car continues to impress. Once I had bought the BMW, I swore I would never by an Asian car again...but the Hyundai and the economy pulled me back in.

I also drove the family Mercury Sable for three years between the Saab and the G20 (92-94) - dang Saab killed me financially, lost 10k on a car that cost me 6k to buy in under 14 months!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Some of your questions have already been addressed by others, but as you asked me what I thought here it is:

1. Do you feel that the new 2004 Elantra GLS is
       a significant improvement and a move that gets
       it even closer to Honda/Toyota reliability?
    A: Yes, as significant as it gets for a mid-generation freshening. Most notable are the VVT engine, the more upscale interior, and exterior styling tweaks. I think these changes keep the Elantra competitive with Honda/Toyota (which it creamed last year in the aforementioned C/D comparo--the one in which the Civic LX was called "a loser" mainly because of its shoddy paint and panel fit). As for reliability, it's already been noted that the Elantra is "above average", which is competitive with Honda/Toyota and above the Sentra.

2. With the new VVT engine, do you feel its
        pulling close to Honda/Toyota refinement?
    A: Yes, but I need to drive the '04 Elantra to see if NVH is better. The pre-'04 Beta engine was not as smooth as the engines from Toyota and Honda, IMO, although the durability and power are good. Again, why is it you are comparing to Honda/Toyota when your choice is keep a '01 Sentra or buy an Elantra?

3. Im a healthy, athletic 40 yo man, and I have
        to be honest, around here in Central NJ, I
        ONLY see elderly man an women driving this
        vechile. I would be curious to know the ages
        of the folks here who are Elantra owners.

Im wondering your thoughts on this...
    A: I am a healthy, athletic 47 year old man, and I see lots of young(er) folks driving Elantras around here--in fact more younger people than older. But this is Minnesota. You are probably also aware that the median age of Toyota Corolla buyers is way up there, in the 40s-50s. ;-)

4. If heard one of the reasons pricing is so
         low is because Hyundai uses cheap low end
         sheet metal for the body of car which dents
         every easy and also, the paint is off low
         quality. If that indeed is the case, well,
         there ya go...those are two areas where they
         are cutting corners to maintain the low
         price.
    A: I really haven't found denting or paint a problem. My Elantra has, after 3+ years, just a couple of small dings on the door panels and the paint looks brand new (when washed of course, not today). I think a lot has to do how you take care of it and what kind of conditions you park in (e.g. under a nut tree).

5. Im also wondering about the long term life
         of internal components, such as water pump,
         alternator, front end suspension parts...are
         they of lesser quality than Honda/Toyota.
    A: Refer to CR's ratings, they show reliability on components. To my knowledge there hasn't been an issue with parts like these, and the Beta engine has proven reliable in the 5+ years its been out.

As for leather, that's interesting you ask. Does your Sentra have leather? I know Civics don't offer leather, even as an option. You can get leather on the Corolla LE but it'll run you big bucks compared to the GT. Is the Corolla's leather interior heated?

And as for the weatherstripping, I don't know that Hyundai has fixed it for '04 but that seems likely since they came out with a TSB some time ago that involves a redesigned weatherstrip--seems logical they would use that new design on the '04s. But check out the wind noise on your test drive.
  • Options
    lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    We now have 83,000 on my wife's 01 Elantra 5-speed. Just finished a 1500 mile trip with gas mileage between 30 and 36, depending on wind conditions and speed. So far, a sqeaking clutch was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, only spark plugs, timing and drive belts, fresh anti-freeze, air filters, and oil changes. Still rattle free, although we are noticing some squeaking and softness from the front struts. Interestingly, a friend is experiencing similar strut problems with his 98 Avalon at 50,000 miles. We have owned Corollas, Civics, and Sentras over the past years. We don't see any great differences in sheet metal thickness or paint between any of these vehicles. This car continues to run well and my wife loves it. We plan on seeing 200,000 with it.
  • Options
    themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I have waxed my 03 GLS twice in 3 months just to get some wax on the paint. I was it once a week when conditions allow and have had no problems with the paint at all.

I have had bird do-do on it for a week and it just washes off and does not leave a stain with the wax on it.

My gls now only have 3900 miles, but no problems to report either. Changed the oil at 3000 is the only thing done to it.

Averaging about 23 to 24 mpg in the city, but I do drive it fast sometimes cause I can!

I have an Elantra resource page setup for anyone
    interested in links:
    http://www.stanarseneaux.com/elantra/
  • Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    The paint on my '02 was absolutely terrible (I sold the car). I had black which I hear is the worst color to have. I had a bird dropping hit the car and it only sat there 2 days before I cleaned it and it had already eaten through the paint. The paint has a very heavy "orange peel" look to it and I had paint flaking off the front hood and bumpers from small rock hits. The sheet metal is indeed thin and I had a really horrible door ding on it.

Other than that, the car is wonderful, the best value in its class by far. It ran well and never disappointed me in 25,000 miles that I owned it.

Advice: DON'T GET BLACK!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Jeff
  • Options
    nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Jeffhall76,

Thats really a shame about the thin soft sheet
    metal Hyundai uses...I guess you confirmed my
    fears. Oh well, I guess the Elantra is out...I guess I will just but my Sentra and deal with the
    boe jarring ride. Or maybe I can give the Corolla
    another chance.....
  • Options
    nodule,

altough jeffhall76 and myself have confirmed this fact (thin sheet metal and poor paint), i don't think a sentra will be much better. i can't speak for newer nissans, but the nissans from the late 80's and ealry 90's had really thin sheet metal also (i had a '88 nissan "hard body" pickup -- yeah, right). the paint on that was so thin that it too chipped very easily. my recommendation (if you've already crossed off elantras from you list) is to look at mazdas. the protege is very sporty (much more so than the sentra) and i have had two mazdas in the past -- both had extremely durable paint that held up beautifully for years.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    No worse than any other small car. My car DID have some hail damage (lot also sold Nissans--same thing)at purchase. They gave me a last generation Sentra--granted a cruder car than the present one-- and I found it to be a lot less car than the Elantra. Funny you should comment about the Sentra's bone jarring ride, I always thought they were softer sprung than earlier models of the same car. Thought Car and Driver described it as Buick like in one of their comparison tests-- maybe they were talking styling.

The Mazda Pro was on my list when I bought my GLS. Found it to be much harder in the spring department than the Hyundai. I have almost 60 thousand miles on my Elantra in 2.5 years. With the exception of headlamps and a neutral safety switch it's been totally trouble free. Best car I've ever had including several Japanese cars.
  • Options
    desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    The majority of cars today use thin high tensile sheet steel in their manufacture. Don't expect to get thick panels in any modern car. The equation is simple we demand increased strength in cars as well as improved safety etc etc, but we also want improved fuel consumption, the biggest enemy of fuel consumption is weight, hence the use of these types of steel panels in cars to address all the objectives. My Elantra has one ding in the door, care of an arrogant jerk in a large SUV, I don't expect any panel to be able to withstand that.

I don't see the paint as being any worse than other cars. Its a standard clear over base system on the metallic colours, bird dropping and other like factors will have an effect any of these finishes, I've had other cars suffer from bird droppings, the best protection is to keep up the wax to the vehicle or, for some, aftermarket paint protection. I've had no problem after keeping the wax up to my car for the 2 years I've had it.
  • Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    I'd still take the GT (cheap paint and all) any day over the boring Sentra. The GT has a lot more character, that's important too in your decision.

Jeff
  • Options
    beatles363beatles363 Member Posts: 13
    Kiplinger's Picks
    Best in Class for 2004
    Korean automaker Hyundai earned top honors in the Under $17,000 class with its Elantra GT Hatchback.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4018597&sr- c=msn
  • Options
    After following the GT online for two years,
    I got one. A beautiful black 4-door, 5-speed
    with moonroof, '04. It's as great as everybody
    has said, and it even seems that Hyundai
    has fixed the problems people noted here.
    Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I was recently at Motor World in Wilkes Barre, PA, looking for a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback 5-speed w/sunroof. They didn't have that particular package there, but found a black one at another dealer they could trade for. The out-the-door total I would finance after tax,tags, title would be $15,200. That included the 750 rebate, 2000 loyalty rebate, plus the balance of my 2000 elantra AT with no extra options and 44500 miles, which they gave me $4000 for ( I would lose 900). I would also qualify for the $400 college graduate rebate, but I didn't mention that to them yet.
       Please let me know if this is a worthwhile deal.....it seems too good to pass up with the 2000 loyalty rebate despite no break on the MSRP. Also, have many others had the problems with the black paint on their Elantras peeling which some people mentioned in previous posts??
  • Options
    your out-the-door price seems a little high given all the rebates and promotions. the sum of the rebates and balance of your old elantra amount to $6,750. that means that before any of these incentives, your out-the-door price would be $21,950 including taxes, title, etc... that's WAY too high for this car, even with every option package. it sounds like your dealer is "taking you for a ride" on this one... try pricing your exact car, for your zipcode, online through carsdirect.com and see what it tops out at...

also the paint colors i've read about as causing problems on this and other elantra forums are the obsidian black and the chianti red. i don't know if these colors are still offered on the '04 models, but if they are, these are the ones to stay away from. i don't remember reading about any complaints about the other colors, except for the general thinness of hyundai's paint, in general. my '02 pewter GT has not had any problems, but i have to be extra careful about not scratching it, as it scratches very easily.
  • Options
    rrgtrrgt Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the Hyundai warranty (I'm the original owner) is good worldwide? I bought my 2002 GT in the US, but I now drive it in Germany. Yes, there are Hyundai dealerships with service departments here (not real close, though), but I haven't gone to any of them yet - hoping someone will be able to tell me before I take the time to go to one.

-rrgt
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    I think i remember from a previous post that the 100,000 mile warranty is only offered in the US but not Canada? Dont believe it to extend to other markets as a result of the warranty being offered only in America. If the warranty is offered in the Fatherland as well, you may have a chance. I am sure you can ship it to the US and have it serviced and then shipped back i suppose.
  • Options
    Actually, that's not a bad price. I just got
    an '04 5-speed with moonroof for about $15000 out the door.
    You have to remember, you don't subtract the amount remaining
    on your old car note, you add the amount you are upside-down.
    Then, add all the little things the dealer adds on, and the big thing, tax, about $1100.00. I got black, too, 'cause it just looks so good. I got the acid rain package which has a 5-year warranty & covers seats & carpets also which is something I never would have done before.
  • Options
    hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    dovid2: I just bought a 04 GT Elantra 5 door automatic & sunroof for one of my employees (company car)out the door for $14437 + T & T ! Don't think I could have done much better unless we had another Hyundai to qualify for the "owner loyalty" rebate which would have been another $1000. But, this is Florida, ALL the dealers here are pretty nuts!

HUD :):)
  • Options
    here here...hope they appreciate it. Five years ago, a company Elantra might have been seen as an insult. With today's car, it is thoughtful!

I would rather have a company GT than a company Sentra, Civic, Corolla, or Cavalier...

My GT just hit the big 6k this week. The only problems so far: tape on the door sills (to be fixed when I go in for oil change) and a distorting tweeter in the driver's door (will ask for a replacement). All in all, nothing to complain about, starts, idles, runs just fine, no gremlins in my Chianti Classico!
  • Options
    One of the local dealers, Jim Ellis, has acquired a fleet of loaners. I took my '04 GT in to get wood trim (did a very nice job, too)
    and as a loaner they gave me an '04 XG350 with 4 miles on the clock! I was afraid I would get spoiled, but after driving it a day, I decided I liked the GT better. I liked the power seats, but mine are more comfortable, climate control was nice but I just like to do things myself and the XG did too much for my taste. Bottom line, I just love my GT!
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Just had my 15k service done. Cost me $126 and took about 2 hours. I moved a little further away from work-26 miles each way-and my mpg has risen as a result. I now average 27-30 whereas before it was 20-23 for a 12 mile commute. Shows how important proper engine temp. is for mpg. The only things that needed fixing to date have been the front door vinyl trim(still peeling but will wait to have it done again), slight rattle from front driver's door when cold, broken seatbelt buckle anchor on rear seat back-the part took forever to come in. The rear seat anchor is the plastic part that is on the lower back seat cushion and holds the buckle in place when not in use. Why did they put them there in the first place? :) The leather has broken in very nicely and is very supple now. LOVE MY GT!
  • Options
    dovid2: We allow a certain price range for employees according to length of service. performance etc. Over the years we have had some old timers that were tooling around in Vettes and BMW's. If they work hard and produce they are rewarded. We have virtually NO employee turnover as you might expect.

• Options
    donl68donl68 Member Posts: 31
    They put those anchors for the back seat buckles so that your buckles don't get lost/stuck under the seat when returning the seat bottom and back to the upright positions.
  • Options
    gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    I haven't posted here for a while, but thought I'd give my impressions after almost two years of GT ownership. Sorry, this may run a bit long.

I bought my '02 Carbon Blue GT in January of '02 with all options except automatic. I sold my beloved -- but ridiculously expensive to fix -- '95 Audi 90 Quattro and held my nose. (Me? In a Hyundai?) But the GT was the only car in it's class to offer a hatch for my greyhound and enough rear hip and shoulder room to install three child safety seats side by side. After paying heavenly repair bills, Hyundai's killer warranty sounded good too.

Overall, I'd have to say that I've been thrilled with how well the GT has worked out. It's been extremely reliable and performs better than any car in it's price range has any right to. I didn't even have to take a lot of guff from my Porsche and Mercedes-driving coworkers -- their cars spend a lot more time in the shop.

My fuel log says I've averaged 32.81 mpg over the life of the car. This is mostly highway commuting back and forth to work, and I drive with my eye on the mpg gauge. I haven't taken it on any long trips. Since arriving from Korea, it hasn't left Colorado.

The leather and the rest of the interior have held up exceptionally well, even with an almost total lack of care. My GT handles high country winters without complaint. It sat out a couple of nights ago at -8 degrees (yes, that's fahrenheit) and started up first try without complaint.

I continue to be amazed at the GT versatility. A couple of months ago I hauled twelve bundles of shingles and various other roofing supplies when my truck was out of action (again!). I can also load the kid's bikes and trikes in the hatch without even having to fold down the seat. Try that in a sedan!

I've had the GT in for warranty work three times.

The first was to have the function of the traction control checked. They said it was fine. As far as I can tell, the system just makes a lot of noise when a tire spins without providing any real benefit. The ABS is fantastic though. I recommend it highly to anyone thinking of buying a GT.

The second trip was to have the Throttle Position Sensor changed. I don't know if this is an issue with later model years, but a lot of '02 owners with 5-speeds reported that the rpm's would "hang" for second or two before falling. This made it difficult to match rpm's when upshifting. Changing the TPS helped some, but the problem remains to a lesser extent.

The third warranty issue was the switch that controls the power mirrors. It packed it in at about 31K. The dealer had the part on hand and changed it during a scheduled oil change.

Other than that, the car has been dead reliable.

The only quality issue I have with the car is the paint. I haven't had any problems with peeling trim paint on the doors, but I would have to say that the quality of the paint in general is sub-par. It's maybe OK for it's class, but even when brand new, mine wasn't anywhere near as smooth and glossy as the seven year old paint on my Audi. After 40K miles, it's got a ton of chips and scratches. My Audi looked almost new after 80K. I plan to drive the GT until it's worth next to nothing, so this won't affect my trade-in value, but it's discouraging.

The only thing I'd change about the car (other than the things that have already been changed for the '04 model year -- dome light, yea!) would be for Hyundai to offer the turbodiesel engine that they offer in the Elantra in Europe. 45 mpg would be cool.

So would I buy another one? Given the same circumstances, I definitely would. Hyundai has won me over with a great product. But now since I really want to replace my ancient truck and consolidate vehicles, if the GT was stolen tomorrow, I'd go out buy a new crew cab pickup and sell the rust bucket. So until they start making trucks, this'll be my last Hyundai.

Hey! Are you listening over there in Korea??
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Good post Mark. I couldnt agree more. Most owners complain of the lack of interior lighting (back seat). My GT is an 01 with 19.2 K miles. You never mentioned if you changed your tires or not. I've had more dealer visits than you but thats because I live a block away and I have every other friday off (I was being picky). My only failure was a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Other than that (my Honda also had an AC failure that was a recall) I rate the reliability as good as my last car.

I installed the B&M short shift kit and the rear tib sway bar and the car is even more fun to drive.

Enjoy your GT.
  • Options
    5port,

Indeed, I did have to change the tires out at just short of 30K. Interestingly, the GT is the only front drive car I've ever had that wore out rear tires faster than the fronts. I replaced them with 205/60's rather than the stock 195/60's because IMO they fill out the wheelwells much better. I haven't had any clearance problems. The larger diameter does affect the speedometer and odometer, but since most manufacturers intentionally set up speedos to read slightly high, mine's likely more accurate than stock. I'll also get to drive longer before the odo says my warranty's done.

I too installed the Tibby bar and love the difference. I've also done the resonator removal procedure (sounds great!) and installed a Fumoto oil drain valve and triple air horns (sounds loud!). The B&M shifter may be next.
  • Options
    jinx1224jinx1224 Member Posts: 8
    Got back from the dealer earlier and wanted to ask a question. I took my car(2001 GT, 36000 mi.) in to have the emergency brake serviced on 1/8 because it was stuck a third on when I was going to work on 1/7. I drove about 5 minutes and it loosened up. Went to the dealer on 1/8 and they couldn't reproduce the problem. It has been around 20 degrees here and I was told that it had frozen up. As a force of habit I set the brake again and on the morning of 1/9 it was stuck again. I drove again for about 5 minutes and it loosened up. However on my way home I heard a metallic noise from the rear which unfortunately was because I had worn my brake pads to nothingness. I had to get new rear brakes and my rotors re surfaced and was told never to set my e brake when it gets this cold. I have never heard this before. Is this a common problem?
  • Options
    malachymalachy Member Posts: 17
    We picked up our 5 speed last week. We paid 14800. I thought it was, and still is a good value. I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with.

1. How long before the engine breaks in so I enjoy the 27/34 MPG Hyundai promises?

2. Should I change the oil after the first 1000 miles or so?

3. The passenger seat airbag light does takes minutes to engage after my wife gets into the seat. Even then, it comes on every once in awhile. I will call the dealership.

My only gripe is the shifter. My 97 Golf blows it away. The Hyundai's feels very vague.

I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    tomkimbenetomkimbene Member Posts: 9
    Malachy,

1) It'll take at least 3K miles before you can expect to get 27/34 mpg. Mine seems to dip several mpg during winter months due to oxygenated fuels in my part of the country, and no doubt due to the injectors running a richer mixture when the engine is cold. Definitely don't let the car warm up before driving. The Elantra seems to warm very slowly at idle, and it's just much better to start it and drive away gently.
    2) I personally believe it's a good idea to change the oil after 1,000 miles or so. Every time I've done this in every new car I've owned (including the Elantra), when I look at the drained oil in the drain pan in bright sunlight, it has metallic specks in it--almost like metallic paint. So, there's definitely minute metal shavings in the oil pan. It should be noted that some people claim that these shavings actually help break in the cylinder/rings, but I don't think so.

3) Not sure about the passenger seat air bag light, but I understand that it's sensitive to an out-of-position passenger (a light weight child, sitting off to the side, or leaning too far forward). I suspect it's working properly, and I'd be cautious to have a dealer monkey around with it.

4) I wasn't crazy about the shifter or clutch when I first got mine either, but after a couple of months, you get used to the feel; now I think it's fine.

All in all, I think the Elantra is a terrific car and an incredible value. Welcome to the club!
  • Options
    I had the same problem with an '87 Toyota MR2.
    Especially when it rained and a cold front came through. I got in the habit of backing up to a curb and leaving the brake
    off any time it froze. Fortunately never wore the brakes
    out before that.
    As to the shifter, I planned to have a short-shift
    kit installed until I bought & drove the car. Now I don't
    see any need, I like the shifter just the way it is.
  • Options
    1. How long before the engine breaks in so I enjoy the 27/34 MPG Hyundai promises?

*5,000 to 10,000 miles (power also increases)

2. Should I change the oil after the first 1000 miles or so?

*The book says 3750 miles. Now that thats out of the way...It cant hurt to change it at 1000.

3. The passenger seat airbag light does takes minutes to engage after my wife gets into the seat. Even then, it comes on every once in awhile. I will call the dealership.

* See dealer warranty repair.

My only gripe is the shifter. My 97 Golf blows it away. The Hyundai's feels very vague.

* Install B&M part # 45119 (short shift kit).
  • Options
    Bear in mind that you may NEVER see the EPA's mpg ratings on your Elantra in real life, depending on your driving habits. That is, if all your driving is in stop-n-go traffic and/or you have a heavy foot, your mpg could be under the EPA ratings, which are measured under ideal, controlled conditions. But with moderate driving, they can be reached. I'm averaging around 28 mpg in my '01 GLS 5-speed in the winter, 29-30 in the summer, in around-town driving with a lot of rush-hour commuting. I don't take it on the highway much but when I have I've gotten over the EPA 33 mpg rating, at 65-70 mpg with A/C on.
  • Options
    [I dont take it on the highway much but when I have Ive gotten over the EPA 33 mpg rating, at 65-70 mpg with A/C on.]

that's impossible. the only way you could explain that figure is if you were going down hill, reset the MPG computer, and wait for it to register it's initial reading. it's initial reading is no indication of what your real MPG is. the more miles the MPG computer uses in its calculation, the more "real" the MPG value.
  • Options
    I take my car for long road trips around hilly areas. It is realistic to average 33mpg with 65mph and a/c. Regularly, since i drive a total of 80miles a day, i average 29mpg. But, for long trips of uninterrupted highway driving, it is realistic to get 33-34mpg.

Exciting day for me...20000 mile mark on my 03! Being in Chicago, i gave my car a hawaiian theme for the interior, dreaming of warmer times...
  • Options
    Southpawboston,

I'm sure backy meant he was getting over 33mpg while traveling at 65-70 mph -- not mpg. That's about what mine does.

That said, I've managed to travel as far as fifteen miles with the meter reading it's 99.9 mpg maximum. Of course that's after resetting the gauge before heading down from the summit of an 11,000 foot mountain pass!

Mark
  • Options
    "I'm sure backy meant he was getting over 33mpg while traveling at 65-70 mph -- not mpg. That's about what mine does."

okay...my bad. i did think backy meant 65-70MPG!!! hehe...if only! he'd be beating priuses and civic hybrids on fuel efficiency!

backy is in fact right on in claiming 33mpg. that is very realistic, and that's what i see on long highway runs. in general, i see 25-29 MPG in mixed driving.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I, on the other hand, cannot seem to crack 30 mpg in Michigan winter, with a lead foot. Summer highway trips have topped out at exactly 33 mpg. No complaints from this corner. I am about to roll 39K and still love my car.
  • Options
    malachymalachy Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all the feedback. From what I have read, the new vvt engine should get better mileage than previous models. I am still a little torn about not having gone for the base model to save 2-3grand. When I do look at our car, I honestly have to admit that it quite stylish. Even the GLS has good lines.

How does anyone feel about the leather steering wheel? It looks great but I wish it had more grip to it. It is freezing here in CT, maybe thats the problem.

One fantastic feature of the car is its brakes. I did not get ABS mind you, but this car stops on a dime!

All in all a deal for anyone looking for a nice car. The cornering is rock solid. I am getting used to how it corners. My Golf is a little less civilized but in a good way. I will keep you updated!
  • Options
    Yes, I meant 65-70 mph. Note the timestamp on my last post. Need more sleep.
  • Options
    i thought the steering wheel did not have enough grip originally as well. But i am very used to it now and do not notice any looseness in my grip of the wheel. I have been driving it for about 9 months now...broke 20100 today. Need an air filter change. I can't seem to find a store that sells the K&N filters. Any good sites for this?

I love the ABS and traction control! The down side is that donuts and spinnies in the parking lot are not as fun with those features...
  • Options
    buy K&N filter here:

<http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=519&prmenbr=361>

Part # KNN-2201

Price approx $36.00
  • Options
    jinx1224jinx1224 Member Posts: 8
    hmmmmm maybe it should be priusi? LOL
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Whoever posted a while back about getting their driver's seat replaced under warranty, could you give me more info about whether they replaced the whole seat, just the seat back, or other repair?

Please?

I am taking mine to a DIFFERENT Hyundai dealer next week for my driver's seat back (it wobbles back and forth under braking and acceleration). Due to previous bad experiences with Hyundai service shops in my area, I am afraid they will try to "rig" the seat somehow, say they've fixed it, and then if their rigging doesn't hold, I'll be past the 60,000 mile warranty when that happens.

I'm also going to get the brake line moved (recall notice) as well.

So far, I have 59,200 miles on it.

And I hate my area's Regional Rep for his manipulations. What a jerk!

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Let me add that, after 59,000 miles, I do love my Elantra GT! It's been reliable and gets great mileage.

I'm just upset with my area's Regional Rep because he changed his story a couple of times to get out of having to pay for my front bumper being painted. And I have no further recourse, according to Hyundai's customer service center - Regional Rep's decisions are final. Sad.
  • Options
    compensate: Have you looked into a "small claims" court action? That is unless you signed away your right to sue and can only go to arbitration as a lot of dealers & mgs. seem to be going to these days. Since your bumper paint issue is probably considered to be a so-called soft trim item aside from the long term warranty you probably cannot prevail. 59K ia a lot of miles to try to qualify for a paint problem. Good luck