Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Concession to WHAT??!!?? 40 (older age!) is not a good excuse for switching to a slushbox. No, no, no -- take it back right now, get a stick and drive it till you're 80. THEN we'll let you get the auto. :):):)

Can you guess I'm enjoying 40? (And a 5-speed)
  • Options
    queen1730queen1730 Member Posts: 2
    Do you guys/gals love driving your car everyday? i have been looking at the Elantra GT hatchback but can't decide between a few things... i know i definitly want pkg 8 - no question... but how it the handling between the auto and 5 speed... i've driven a 95 elantra 5 speed and just wonder if anyone out there has personal experience between the older and newer models? Next, the other vehicle i've been looking at is the xB by Scion - with options the pricing is within 100s... but there is more leg room in the back (of the xB), and i want to be able to haul by friends around comfortably... any help is appreciated, thanks!!
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    54 and still love to stir the gears myself. I also still love getting in this car everyday. If
    you want to drive around in a box, by all means get the xB (Is that why they call it that?)
  • Options
    queen1730queen1730 Member Posts: 2
    We have joking referred to it as the xBox... :) Thanks for the input... i am more partial to the 5 speed myself... concerned about resale value, though... what do you think?
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    from the value standpoint, you shouldn't lose any money by going with a 5-speed. In fact, the added cost of the automatic is depreciated over the life of most cars, slowly giving back ground to the "standard" of each car.

That said, actually selling a 5-speed can be a bit of a trick, since most people do prefer autos and cars like the Elantra are likely to wind up as student cars in their second and third lives. When I dealt with this decision, it was easy, the auto was just too sluggish for me to consider. Living in AZ means always having the AC on, and the auto running the AC was a definite dog under my toes. The 5-speed is marginally better, having the pickup when under AC that the auto has without AC on.

I do find rowing my gears in heavy traffic to be a bit of a chore and autos are covered under most warranties better than manuals...so it becomes a basic even split on the merits. In the end, choose what you like and don't worry about the $600 at the other end. You will save that up front by not selecting the auto.

I think the 5-speed, especially when not running the AC, is a bit sporty...at least as much fun as my BMW 318ti (similar HP) for the basic get up and go. The BMW was geared better for performance...but the Elantra can be wound out for satisfying drives when the urge strikes.

Good luck.
  • Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I think the GT has plenty of leg room in the back. As a matter of fact, I still am amazed how small the Ellantra is on the outside (good) and how big it is on the inside. I think the 5-speed is more fun to drive, and you are in control of the shifting points.
  • Options
    scott_s2scott_s2 Member Posts: 3
    I have the 5-speed and cannot imagine that the auto tranny would be more fun to drive. I certainly would recommend visiting a dealership for a quick test drive rather than relying on your experience with a 9 year old model.

Your statement that the xB has more leg room than the Elantra is incorrect(at least according to Spec sheets that Edmunds has). The Elantra has 3.5" more rear leg room and 5" more in rear hip room. In fact, the Elanta compares quite favorably to mid-sized sedans in interior dimensions (especially the hatch) although you would not guess it looking at the outside.

Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Leg room measurements can be deceiving. I haven't sat in a xB yet, but I suspect it has a high rear seat (like the ECHO). If so, perceived leg room could be better than the numbers would suggest. But I think the Elantra's rear seat is fine for anyone up to about 6', with an average-height driver. In fact that is the situation at my house, with my 6' 15 year old son. He's fine in the back of both the Elantra sedan and 5-door. Rear head room is just barely adequate though with the sunroof in the 5-door. Hip room is good for a compact, and we can easily put my 3 kids in the back, ages 8 to 15. It would fit two adults and one small child OK, but three adults of average size would be tight.
  • Options
    bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    I took a 400-mile road trip around North Carolina's mountains last weekend, with four adults in my car (and 4 mountain bikes on the roof). They all did alright, and with the stickshift, winding my way around the mountains - even with hundreds of pounds more weight and wind resistance from bikes on the roof - was a blast.

Speaking of the transmission, I went for the stick without ever having driven one on roads before. Price was a nice benefit, but I knew I'd want to milk more juice out of the engine, and it's just so much more fun!

Also, consider rebates on the Elantra GT. Right now they're running $2000 off MSRP, and that's before any attempt at haggling. I went to a no-haggle dealer and paid $11,622 for the car before TTL. Leather seats, alloys, foglights... that's a lot of car for eleven and a half thousand. I don't know that Scion can do that.

In case you couldn't tell (/sarcasm), I'm pretty pleased with the car after the first month.
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    Howdy,

i have been driving my GT for 13 months now with about 30,000 miles driven. If you ask whether i am still having fun? sure thing!

my co-workers and i go to out lunch pretty often and one day i ended up driving. I am 5'8" myself, but my co-workers were 6'1", 6'8" and 6'6"
    respectively. 6'6" fit in the front passenger with no problems did not need to adjust from my default passenger position. 6'8" was seated behind the front passenger and said that he had plenty of room, no need to adjust. and obviously, 6'1" coworker was fine sitting behind me. So with a car full of tall people, the GT handled it nicely. We probably could not squeeze another person in between the rear, but the point is that legroom is very generous.

To make the driving more fun, add a sway bar to stiffen up the ride. Good fun there!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you want to sell your GT as I have
    exactly the same color/configuration/age. I don't
    know how it is in south Florida, but in Atlanta I
    never see any GT's advertised for sale so if you
    post it it might sell quickly. Just make sure it
    goes to a good home!
  • Options
    blackoutdotcomblackoutdotcom Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys...

I am in a bit of a bind with cash. About 6 months ago I purchased a new Hyundai Elantra GT - black, manual (much more pep than auto) with the moonroof option and of course the super cool new kenwood color cycling audio system.

I love the car and it is in mint/new condition, but I am an actor/producer and trying to get my new production company off the ground so my costs are tight right now and while the payment isn't to bad $287 a month, the insurance is killing me here in ft laud at about $180 a month. Together it is highe than I can afford right now so I am considering selling the car, but how would I go about doing this? I can't find any prices on 2004 used elantra gts.
    The payoff amount is $12,500 so buying it would be considerably cheaper for someone than buying a new one with the same options that would go for about $16,000.

I haven't fully decided if I am going to sell it or not but how would I go about doing it if I want to? Just advertise the price for $12,500 and find someone willing to buy it for that, then they get their own loan, or can they take over payments. I'm not exactly sure how ti would work.

Any info would be appreciated. As I'm saying I hope I don't have to do this but if I don't being in more cash in the next month or so I may have to, as I don't want to have a repo on my hands!

Thanks,

- Michael
  • Options
    crsher2002crsher2002 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone per chance know the manufacturer and/or spces of the single CD/ six speaker factory stereo that came with the 2002 model? My dealer can't seem to get back to me with the info.
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    AFAIK:

01-03 GLS 80W Clarion (4 sp)

01-03 GT 100W Clarion (6 sp)

04+up GT 100W Kenwood (6 sp)
  • Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    Well, here I am at 13k miles, faster than I expected, but the Hyundai exhibited a few more growing pains as we rounded the fifth digit:

Ignition/clutch switch on manual: A few months ago, I noticed that once in a while, my car would not start on the first try. I would depress the clutch and get nothing, nadda, zilch. Last week, the problem suddenly went from once in a great while to every other time. So I dropped it off. Result: warranty replaced the now-faulty Clutch Switch Assembly. If you have a manual and have trouble with starts, that could be the culprit. The biggest syptom was having to press the clutch extra deep into the floor to get the engine to turn over.

Fuel Pump recall. My 2003 turned up a fuel pump recall when I brought it in, replaced under warranty.

Spoiler Tape: Second time I have had to bring him in for a little triage on the spoiler adhesive tape. The tape seems to slip after car washes and become visible, usually on the right hand side of the spoiler (passenger side).

CD/Radio issue: When hitting bumps, my radio would attempt to change to the CD player (with a cd loaded) and then back. Certain CDRs were not loading and playing correctly, and I was not happy. They replaced the unit, albeit with the same crappy one as before - was hoping they would upgrade me to the 2004 model radio (wanted that MP3 player) but I didn't think to ask until it was too late...not that they would have been able to anyway.

All in all, these are minor problems. I am still happy with the car, after the new switch was put in, the car drove tight for a few miles, it actually felt good, nice clutch action. Now it feels more like normal (or did I get used to it?).

My Hyundai's issues:
    door tape around the window seal - replaced
    spoiler tape under right side - trimmed or replaced twice
    dead battery - replaced
    lose clip on coolant return - replaced
    bad clutch switch assembly - replaced
    blown speaker - replaced
    mal-performing CD player - replaced
    recalled fuel pump - replaced

Not bad, minor, minor issues in the big picture. Some cosmetics, a bad battery, and some cheap electronics (what do you expect?) - otherwise the car has been pretty solid.

Now some, with this many problems would be shouting and crying about their "lemon" cars...I am perfectly happy with the performance and durability of this car. No complaints. The dealer is always very helpful (Pitre in Phx) and I appreciate the way they have not once said to me, "uh, we can't duplicate the problem, so tough luck."

I was convinced that Hyundai had turned the corner. Now I am convinced that they are every bit as good as Honda and Toyota. My Civic had similar issues and worse (twice losing my power window, having it fall off its track in the middle of a MN winter). My used BMW had similar problems (bad batteries and a bad window regulator.

The GT has better AC, better seats, and still looks good after the one-year anniversary. (14 months and counting.)

Would I recommend a GT to a friend, you bet, but I would still stick with the manual. If you want an auto, go the whole nine and get the Sonata.
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I've recently passed the 30k mark. The dealer gave me a list of "recommended" service tasks. I will have to cross-check with the manual to see which ones I can eliminate as they want $350 for the servicing! My rear wiper blade finally quit. Other than that, no new problems. As far as the rear spoiler tape, I just took the spoiler off and cleaned it up myself. I placed some pads underneath to allow for better drainage as well. MPG has definitely improved since new; I'm getting 23-32mpg. My old ECHO got 28-34. I'm really pleasantly surprised at hwy mpg for this car.
  • Options
    Anyone know how much an alloy wheel for a '04 GT costs? One of them is dug up pretty bad in the middle of every spoke. Large gash on the lower right front bumper also. DW says she had to swerve in a parking lot to avoid someone coming at her and hit a curb. There's also a big ding and several scratches on the hood--I have no idea how that happened, probably someone set something heavy on the hood. Less than three months old and 2000 miles and already my '04 GT is getting the h*** beat out of it. Makes me want to buy junkers from now on. :-(
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I own a GT and think the leg room is great but the Scion Xb wins hands down for the rear. Forget the specs, just sit in one. It would make a great taxi.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone hear any news about changes for the 05s?
  • Options
    bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    hey Backy, check out eBay - lots of people are upgrading rims and want to unload the old ones. I'm not sure what protocol on linking to eBay from edmunds is, but run a search on "elantra rim" and you'll turn up a couple that end six days from now for $70 each.
  • Options
    Thanks! I checked the other day and didn't see any. I'll take another look.
  • Options
    tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Hi. I picked up an 04 GT hatchback in Tidal Wave three days ago. I got the 5 speed with a moonroof. This thing is just too much fun to drive! Plus, my wife greatly dislikes the body style and color, so that just makes it all the better in my eyes. :)

I do have a question about the trip computer. What kind of accuracy should I be expecting from the calculations for miles per gallon and miles left until I run out of gas? Is there a fudge factor built into the miles to empty calculation or is it really accurate?

Thanks and now I am going for a drive.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new baby, I'm sure you
    will love it!
    As for the trip computer, I find that mine usually overstates
    the MPG by 1-2 miles, and when miles to empty gets
    below 30 and changes to ---, I can get about 12 gallons in,
    so there are about 2 - 2 1/2 gallons left. Depending
    on the mpg you get that may last 60 to 75 miles.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    MSRP $17,414. Price quoted $15,875-$1500 rebate = $14,375. Can I do better than this?
    This is for 2004 with auto and pkg 8.
  • Options
    That's about $150 below invoice. Looks like a good deal to me. You could always wait and see if the rebate goes back up, but GTs are pretty rare, especially with pkg 8. Can you take advantage of the loyalty rebate, military discount, or student's discount? (Sometimes you don't have to be a college grad to qualify as a student on those discounts, e.g. post-grad can work too.)
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Yes, I can take another $750 off the price for the military discount. I did not mention that to the dealer.
  • Options
    jasperblujasperblu Member Posts: 4
    I would suggest that you try listing your car for sale on www.Craigslist.org

They have Miami, Orlando and Tampa Bay sites. Between those three, you shouldn't have too much trouble. I've had nothing but GREAT luck selling all sorts of things on the LA site, and best of all, it's FREE to post.

Just list it at the price you want to sell it for ... factoring in Kelly Blue Book &/or Edmunds suggested resale value. Regardless of how new it is or what kind of condition you've kept it in, it's still a USED car.

Good luck!! :-)
  • Options
    vladvlad Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I bought a new 2003 GT model here in Toronto – a great car, a great deal!

We only have 2K on it. So far our car is fun to drive. The only annoying thing is a strange, whistle-like sound, coming from the engine or under-body area when I hit
    the speed of 100 km/hr or above. It could be a wind, I presume - or anything else?

Does anybody know what I am talking about??? Please suggest.

Many thanks,

Vlad
  • Options
    themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Take it to your dealer for FREE.. there is a TSB on this to redo the moldings!

ElantraStan
  • Options
    Thanks! How can I read TSB? Suggested link? I'd like to show them the original text (just in case).

V.
  • Options
    reality1reality1 Member Posts: 1
    how many cupholders does the elantra 5 door have?
    thank you
  • Options
    In the U.S., two in the front console plus a one-liter bottle holder in each front door. (Sedans have two cupholders in the rear also.)
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Go to https://dcsonline.hyundaidealer.com/customer/index.jsp
    Select "Technical Info".
    Select "Elantra" and "3 - 2003" from the Model and Year drop-downs, then click the "TSB" tab.
    Select "60 - Body" in the tree window.
    Select "03-60-002 2001-03 Elantra Wind Noise..."

Assuming that you're using Internet Explorer...
    Highlight some text in the rightmost panel.
    From your browser menu, select "File" / "Print Preview"
    When the page image loads, change "As laid out on screen" in the drop-down, to "Only the selected frame". You can then print all six pages.
  • Options
    Many thanks, it is a very useful info!

V
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Well, after about 65K miles on my 2001.5 GT 5-speed, the clock began working intermitently. Now, at about 70,500 miles, it rarely works. Usually, if it is going to work properly it will do so after starting the car, but it sometimes comes on after driving a while (but not much anymore).

It's a shame this happened after the warranty period ended, but I did see that others have had some problems with the clock.

Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? Loose wiring? Bad clock? I'd rather try to fix it myself than shell out major money to the Hyundai dealer.

Now, if I can just figure out how to remove the dash facing to access the clock . . .
  • Options
    jimijamesjimijames Member Posts: 41
    "Now, if I can just figure out how to remove the dash facing to access the clock . . . "

If you really want to know, it's just 4 screws and alot of pulling. 2 screws above the instrument cluster and 2 behind the ash tray, then the entire dark gray plastic panel from the drivers side vent to the shift console pops out... vents and all. The hard part is knowing just how hard to pry without breaking the plasic. I believe the clock is screwed to the panel from behind.

It's kind of neat to see your 'naked' dash once you get the panel out though.
  • Options
    My clock went on my 2001.5 GT in the first year. As the interior of the car would heat up the clock would dim until the display would go blank. If I cooled the interior down the display would return. I told service about it and they were able to duplicate the problem by reaching behind the clock and pushing on the PC board. They replaced it and its been fine since. I would look for a bad (cracked) solder connection on the PC board.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    We just returned from a 3000 mile road trip to the Northwest. I left the mpg on the trip computer alone from start to finish. It said 35.8 mpg, and when I checked how many gallons we bought, it came out to 35.5 mpg. Our 2004 GT (5-speed) never missed a lick, and we like the mpg.

Niels
  • Options
    Well, it appears my clock issue is not related to interior temperature. In the past two weeks it has only worked ONE time, and that was for one trip home from work, when car interior was very hot. It has not worked again since then (two days ago).

What is funny is that it displays the correct time when it does decide to work, so it is keeping time, just not displaying the time 90% of the time.

I guess I can live without it. Better a clock issue than something bigger. . .
  • Options
    In the past two weeks it has only worked ONE time

-------------------------------------------

This is because the clock is DEFECTIVE and requires a trip to the dealer to make use of your warranty.
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    does the warranty the car comes with work at any dealership? i don't want to drive 50 miles to replace my fog lamp when i could just drive down the street.
  • Options
    yes it does.
  • Options
    I have surpassed the warranty period, since I have over 72K miles on my car, so . . .
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    See the newest comparo????

"Handling performance was comparable to Corollas and Civics of the 80's; while the ride was none too compliant, body control was poor, and the GT has a scary proclivity to pitch and bob in transitions. The steering also felt rather lifeless. We did come up with a neat trick to double the mushy brakes' performance; we dragged our feet out the door."

Haven't read this kind of negative drivel about a Hyundai product in years. Ouch...
  • Options
    I owned the Corollas and Civics of the 80s, and the GT is far removed from those. Definitely no "pitching and bobbing." The brakes are great IMO. If by "mushy" they mean the braking action is progressive and easy to control, then I agree.

Funny how R&T raved about the handling of the GT when they tested it.

To which cars did the magazine compare the GT?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Backy-- It's on the top of their web page. Civic, Corolla, Focus and Mazda3, all of which they liked.
  • Options
    Did anyone else find it strange that they compared the EGT to a $20K MAZDA 3? Lets see...we only spent 6K less.
  • Options
    No, I don't find that strange--the 3 and Elantra GT do compete in the same market segment. What I found strange was the completely negative tone of the review towards the Elantra GT. They even found something to complain about regarding the leather interior (the leather was "too thin"--what did they do, slice it open?) and the great-sounding Kenwood stereo ("looks straight off the discount rack at Best Buy"). But they did love the blinking red lights on the non-upgradable stereo in the 3.

I agree the Mazda3s is a better car than the Elantra GT, but I don't know where you can buy a 3s with moonroof, ABS/traction, automatic, SABs, MP3 player, leather, and a 10-year warranty for $13k + T&L.