Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Although Toyota vehicles have been most reliable based on my experience, I am open minded and have not been convinced any one brand is better than the next.
         However, my 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I have ever owned and I was disappointed when my 1999 Suzuki (Chevy ) Tracker had a recurring wheel bearing problem. I would probably be driving only Toyota except a close friend purchased a Chevy dealership and gave me good deals on the Tracker and Blazer.
         One son owns a Honda Odyssey EX and the other 2 sons have Grand Caravan SEs. To me, both Grand Caravans seem quieter inside than the Odyssey EX and the Odyssey is the newest of the 3.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    "My van is the best possible van for the best possible world. There is no van, better than my van. I am very happy with my perfectly wonderful van."

Thanks. I don't know what came over me.

Damn brainwashers from Chrysler and Toyota....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    gessgess Member Posts: 90
    It's obvious that your Honda Implant Control Chip User Program (HICCUP) is malfunctioning. The next time you bring your van in to find out why the check engine light is on let them know that you think Chrysler makes nice vans. After you wake up in the rear seat well with no memory of the past several hours don't ask any questions.
  • Options
    bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    I haven't posted here in a while. I no longer own a Honda Ody. I was pulled over helping a DC minivan owner who was stopped with the hood up, when a Freightliner plowed into my van and totaled it. I was not injured, but the live herpes zostar virus that I was transporting back to the lab was dispersed in the crash and I ended up with the shingles which put me out of commission for a while. Unable to work, I lost my job in a downsizing and found myself searching the classifieds for something to do. I finally accepted a job doing floor sales for a local DC dealership. Who would have thunk it?? Anyway, if anyone wants a good deal on a DC van or other product - look me up. I can't give any additional info. out as this would violate my use agreement with Edmunds.
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I'm mostly sampling these days too. Without a dedicated fridge the brewing season here in south Texas is about 3 or 4 months. Having kids now doesn't help either. I'm sure the old lady will start in on me soon enough about the carboys, chiller coils, and soda syrup canisters eating up the garage space. Maybe with good brew hitting about $7 a six these days v. $5 a gallon for homebrew I can justify the economics of a dedicated fridge. Of course that involves divulging how much I spend on beer so maybe not.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You must be growing your own hops and malting your own barley. Anytime I've done it I figure I saved a few bucks but got a much better beer. At the costs I'm used to, it's hard to beat a six pack of Fraziskaner at Trader Joe's for $6.

Req content: Having a mini-van to transport the bottled product is handy. Maybe I'll see bdaddy about a DC and pick up a case of the shingles (good hoppy flavor) from him.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I hope you were joking, if not I want to hear your sales pitch...especially when a customer want you to do a DC Van vs. Ody.
  • Options
    I tell people that I used to own a Honda - it's a nice minivan. But to quote Adam, "if you want to surround yourself in the lap of luxury, in a MV with the most aggressive stance, then the DC top-line is the one for you:-)
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Then you need a clapped out Aerostar with a lowered suspension
  • Options
    Best laugh I have had in years was when I read posting #2381 by bdaddy. But, credit must be given to crkeehn for post #2377, fezo for post #2379, and gess for #2380 which gave bdaddy the inspiration.
        Why am I even in this forum when I think the new 2004 Sienna has all of the good features of the Odyssey and Chrysler minivans plus additional ones neither Honda nor Chrysler have copied from anyone else?
  • Options
    Beats me
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Probably a bit of buyer's remorse cuz you paid too much for incremental advances. OTOH you may be lusting after headlights that don't look like they have a goider.
  • Options
    You didn't ask directions and made a wrong turn on the way to the Odyssey vs Sienna discussion. It's okay that's what GPS is for.
  • Options
    Careful review of the specifications for both vans reveals a startling fact.

Both the DCC and Honda vans have both an engine and a transmission. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Sorry to hear about the case of shingles.
     I did my own roof and hauled the shingles myself.
     I didn't save much over a commercial roofer, (about $5 a square) but I enjoy sampling home ownership myself.
  • Options
    Have you tried calomine lotion for your shingles?

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....
  • Options
    No, I used a hammer and nails.
       I used to shave, but I now pound my whiskers in and bite them off inside.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What a manly man!!
  • Options
    gessgess Member Posts: 90
    I think I've heard that one before...
  • Options
    Of a Microbus I once saw a picture of. Someone put a shingled Mansard Roof on it.

I think both the DCC and Ody would look good with a shingled roof. How many people actually customize their vans?
  • Options
    I've seen that on a couple of PT Cruisers with Maryland plates.

Would you know anything about that?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Was it parked or driving? If it was parked he might know about it.
  • Options
    Yes, I go to church with them. Their cars started out identical to Carla's and mine, the wife with the Inferno Red Touring Edition, the husband with the Steel Blue Classic 5 speed. They have modified their cars with flames, chrome, etc. Carla's and mine are still stock. When I have to work on Sunday and Brent has to work on Sunday, we have four PT's in a row in the church parking lot, two steel blues and two inferno reds.
  • Options
    I am glad to know that PT Cruisers come in different colors than beige like almost all Odysseys.
    Does your PT Cruiser come with an Infinity Sound System or does it have the ODY gramophone system.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Ody "Sound Only" discussion faded away a long time ago, but there's still a little action in Honda Odyssey Club-Audio & Video Ideas.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    A lot of people complain about the sound system but I find it to be a good performer, perhaps it depends on the kind of music you play. The 2002 base sound system came with a standard CD player, which both my wife and I really appreciate.

Based on the number of complaints about the Ody Sound system I would suspect that the PT sound system falls somewhere in between the two extremes.
  • Options
    A good sound system should be loud enough to cover wives' and kid's noise without making everyone deaf.
  • Options
    One son has a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and one has a 2001 Odyssey EX. The Odyssey has about double the cargo space behind 3rd row and the folding rear seat is very nice but the Grand Caravan Sport is quieter with a better ride. The Grand Caravan Sport has many nice features that the Odyssey EX does not have.
        I have more than once written that my 1970 Dodge Van was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. But you know kids, they don't pay attention to what their old dad tells them.
  • Options
    nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    How could you possibly compare anything to your 1970 Dodge van? You only had one Chrysler vehicle. It's hard to believe that one bad experience on one vehicle over 30 years ago could still cause you to not buy from that manufacturer. Talk about holding a grudge.
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I'd bet that the designers suppliers and most of the people who designed, made parts for, and assembled that 70 Dodge van are gone now, as DC quality has steadly improved more than GM or Ford. They have the longest drive train warranty of the three.
  • Options
    larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    When did the Caravan's get the 7/70 powertrain warranty? Was it for the full 2002 model year or only part of it?
  • Options
    In November of 2001, Chrysler adopted a 7 year/100,000 powertrain pledge Which was to run till January 1. It was nontransferrable. The end of December 2001, it was extended. Round about February or March, DCC switched to their present 7 year/70,000 mile pledge, which could be transferred.

My wife's PT missed the 7/100,000 by a month, we got it in early October, 2001. My PT, purchased the end of December, came with it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

I'm looking at 2002 Grand Caravans. How do I determine if a particular car will have the 7/70 warranty or not?
  • Options
    I got a POS 96 Dodge grand Caravan followed by a 99 POS Odyssey. I can't keep transmissions in minivans. I never towed or abused them. I even had a tranny cooler put in the ODY.
     I had a POS 86 Ford Econoline.. My father had 2 POS GM vehicles in 83.
     I once rented a Kia Sportage. It was a POS.
    So I'm not buying any of those if I live to be 100.
      I once rented a Daewoo. It was actually OK.
     I am happy with the Toyota I have now. I've had 3 Nissan's and not one bad one.
  • Options
    dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    I've been through two lease cycles with Caravan's ('97 and 2000) and in both instances the brakes failed in the third year. Pathetic. For that reason alone I would never get another Caravan. Plus, there were other things that needed fixing (that fortunately were covered under the warranty) but I think it's absurd that a Car that is carefully driven and is under 25,000 miles needs *anything* fixed. Bye-bye Dodge.

Hello Japanese minivan.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    larryintn -- I think the best way to be certain that you're getting correct information is to get the VIN number, then call Chrysler, or have the dealership verify the warranty with Chrysler while you are present.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Thanks. Where would I find the appropriate number to call to verify the warranty?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I would start with Customer Assistance at 1-800-992-1997. Even if that's not the best place, hopefully one of the agents will be helpful and get you where you need to be. Let us know!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  • Options
    I detect a trend in there. Perhaps you should get yourself a Segway.
  • Options
    ch18r26ch18r26 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned several Dodge vehicles over the years and I've been pleased with the quality of all of them. Here are some of the ones I've owned.

65 Dodge Window Van (SWB)
    72 Dodge Dart Swinger
    78 Dodge Magnum
    81 Dodge Pickup (SWB)
    85 Dodge Van (SWB)
    94 Dodge Van (SWB)
    2003 Dodge Dakota Pickup (I've still got it.)

I kept the 72 Dart 9 years and had almost no problems with it. I put about 87,000 miles on it.

I kept the 85 Dodge Van 9 years and put 108,000 miles on it. It still had the original brake pads on it when I sold it. The only repair, other than routine maintenance items, was a new fuel pump at about 103,000.

The only reason I got rid of the 94 Dodge Van after 2 years was because a job change which required a vehicle with 4 wheel drive and my Dodge van had only rear wheel drive.

I'm currently driving a 2003 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 Liter V-8. I like it a lot. It drives and handles like a sports car compared to the 96 Chevy K-150 4x4 PU that I used to drive.

I've also owned other vehicles. Here are a few of those.

72 Buick
    78 Ford LTD
    85 Subaru
    88 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    89 Mercury Grand Marquis
    94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (I still own it)
    96 Chevy K-150 4x4 Pickup (extended cab)

You can see that over the past 30+ years I've owned a variety of vehicles (mostly American made). I wouldn't say that any of them was a lemon or gave me a lot of problems. The Dodge vehicles, IMO, were at least as good as the other vehicles and I tended to keep the Dodge vehicles longer. I'm currently thinking of selling the 94 Grand Cherokee which I bought new and I'm thinking of buying a Chrysler minivan, perhaps the Voyager LX Popular.

Just thought I'd give you my view of Dodge vehicles.
  • Options
    If I bought a Sedway, with my luck, I'd probably fall off.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Didn't somebody important do that recently?? Who would've thunk landing on a carrier would be easier??

On Topic: Odys Rule.
  • Options
    Independent research reveals that both Honda Odysseys and DC vans parked outdoor in Maryland are wet right now. Advantage..... Both
  • Options
    More independent research reveals that both Honda Odysseys and DCC vans parked outside in Maryland are now dry. Yet again another similarity between two fine vans.
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    When they offer Navigation system on the T&C, then we can say both vans may be similar.
    Right now the only other van with NAV is the Sienna.
  • Options
    DC Vans do offer NAV system.
    http://www.mopar.com/chrysler/Nabout.html
  • Options
    Thebif question would be whether the Sienna is wet ir dry, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Siennas parked outside in Maryland would be dry right now.

Kia Sedonas are also dry.
  • Options
    nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    If you have a T & C and you leave the door open overnight and it rains how much water does it hold?
This discussion has been closed.