Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Owners: Photo Gallery

Comments

• theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    I really like those Mazda foglights! As must as I like the new 2001's front end, I will miss the classy 'smile' of the 99 and 00 model Protege's...
  • gitarzangitarzan Posts: 66
    Those are nice fogs. We don't really need them around here much, but I was thinking of aftermarkets, anyway.

After seeing the factory lights, I could not imagine anything else coming close in looks.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    that most lights billed as "Fog Lights" are actually driving lights. White light does a poor job penetrating fog, but when you put an amber filter on it you get much better results. However, white light on a clear night sure helps for spotting pot holes and other hazards as well as being able to see farther around a corner.

:)
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    probably because most folks wouldn't have a clue if you asked them to compare fog lights and driving lights..
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    these lights are called "City Lights".... low in height so that no one is disturbed by the BIG lights when driving around town...and you still see the potholes :)
    It's not leagal to drive(in CA at least) with only your fog/driving/"city" lights on. After dark, you are required to use headlights, city or not.

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had fog lamps put into my 1999 DX when I had it, and I had them wired to they would work with the parking/maker lamps (whatever you wanna call them). I wish the ones that came standard with my 2001 ES worked with just the marker lights on, but they don't. Think I could have them re-wired to do so?
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    city lights is a concept that is used in countries other than USA - Asian/european countries where the city/towns are small sized - NOT EXTRA LARGE like america :)
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    After two and a half years and 39,000 miles, I finally have pictures of my Pro! I will have to get better ones... these are not as vibrant as I want... I wonder if I can get a polarizing filter for a digital cam...

Here's an interior shot of my beloved Momo shift knob. It's black leather and chrome and makes shifting an absolute joy!

I think some nice Katzkin grey leather seats with black inserts would look nice along with black carpeting... hmmm... time to start Photoshop...

is it just me or can anyone not see the pics?
    I tried using Yahoo! Photos, but the links don't work. I have reposted them using PhotoPoint instead. It looks like they're working now!
    Jerry,

You can get them from Tiffen:

http://www.tiffen.com/

I have their circular polarizer for my Epson and that thing works magic on all that California sun!

• protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    For a tad under 40,000 miles, your car looks "marvelous"! VERY nice job with the detailing. Jerry, you should be very proud. The 99/00 still have that classic Euro look.

-Larry
    Nice! My favorite color is Classic Red - too bad they don't make it anymore. If I would have known about classic red and saw it in person, I most likely would have gotten that instead of Sand Mica. There's this 99 Classic Red LX I see around town here and it just looks GREAT!
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Instead of a polarizing filter try using Unsharp mask in Photopshop. Try different percentages: 70%, 90%, 100% up to see what it does. Don't go too high or it will cause fringing and grain.

Unsharp masking eleminates unnecessary pixels where colors blend into each other, and puts a highlight around high-contrast colors.

I downloaded your pic to experiment with and will e-mail it to you. If it works on 72dpi.

Beautiful job on the car.

By the way, all AF cameras (digital and film) should use a circular (spiral) Polarizing filter.

fowler3
    GO! I do wish Mazda would change the radio antenna!
    The one they are using dates back to the ’70’s! Sheesh, it’s OLD.

I’ve considered having the holes filled in and painted over and installing a standard mast antenna on a fender.

fowler3
    I’ll give your pic a shot too.

One thing you can do is use Brightness and Contrast controls in an editing program such as Adobe Photo Deluxe, if it came with your camera’s software.

Increase the Brightness, but don't blow out the highlights. Then increase the Contrast which strengthens the colors and darkens the black shadow areas.

Do this before saving as jpeg.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I like the antenna up high. I can get a Baltimore radio station all the way up to Delaware almost. Also, it makes the design look cleaner where it is. And you can always put it all the way in if you wish to.
    I was able to sharpen your picture. How do I e-mail it to you?

Think Jerry's has already been given the Unsharp Mask treatment. ;)

fowler3
    I finally got some new pics of my 1999 Protege LX developed and put online. Click on 'New pics of my 99 Mazda Protege' in the link below to view them. Tell me what you guys think...

http://photos.yahoo.com/negatize

cool pics... that zoom zoom sticker.. that isn't from the dealer now was it?
    Nah, I made it on my computer, I'm thinking about trying to figure out a way to print it out decently. (White ink jet paper doesn't cut it)
    you could always take it to a printing shop. I took a logo I had scanned and they did it for $20 for 4 stickers...
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Finally!

I scanned some pictures of my White 95 DX after I waxed it last month, and posted them at
    http://photos.yahoo.com/ashutoshsm
    (Tried to post the html link, but couldn't figure out how, got to rush!)

Just 4 photos, for now!

I forgot to scan in a photo of three generations of Proteges (including mine) that were parked together - a white 95 DX (mine), a white 97 LS and a silver 00 ES. Will, one of these days!

Notice that I haven't taken any of the front or front left corner - that's where it was dinged in the parking lot in Februrary, boo hoo!

And no, I don't have clear corners in the front, thats just the extra dim (or parking) lights, the blinkers are on the front bumper, lage and old-fashined, but quite cool IMHO :-)

ps: Not too many others have added their pix! I'd love to see a few non ES, somewhat older ones here to compare how other cars of this age have held up - mine seems to be the only pre-2000 non-ES, except for protegetechs 97 or 98 LX there!
    doesn't let you link pics... try clubphoto.com its free..
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    I just picked up a silver Protege5, and I have some pics (along with links to all the reviews I could find):

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/newcar/

Let me know what you think, and let's see some pics from other new Pro5 owners!
    Congratulations!! That is a beautiful car!! I bet your neighbors are jealous!!!! Zoom-Zoom!
    Thanks, I'm certainly happy with it. And tomorrow morning, I should complete the 600-mile break-in, so I can really zoom-zoom. :-)
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Nice car. I just bout an 01 ES earlier this year, and sometimes I wish I'd waited for the P5. I love the appearence extras on the P5, really give the car a sport look, esp the front. Happy driving.
    Thanks. I was originally hoping my old car would hold up another year and then I was planning on a Passat wagon. But then Mazda came out with the Pro5 and my car started acting up, so zoom-zoom I went. I have to agree with you--I love the styling, especially the front, so I'm thrilled it worked out this way...
This discussion has been closed.