Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    our school has a bunch of 2500 trucks (older style) that plow and spread salt. The newest is a 2500HD reg cab long bed.

I dont think these trucks are washed very often if at all. Amazingly they are in excellent condition.

The salt spreader they use spans the length of the 8ft bed (bed is rhino lined).
  • Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Have a 02 ext cab, Lt Pewter metallic Silverado.

I'm thinking of getting the Line-X product sprayed on the bottom half(molding down) of my new trck for 1. protection 2. provide two tone.

Spoke with Line-X, they have done it many times and will be sending me picture of a Wht Silverado just recently done. They mentioned they can provide a smoother appearance than how a sprayed bed would look, which is what I would want.

Can you guys please give me your thoughts/opinions and any pros & cons you could think of. The charge is $300.($150 per side)
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    autobody shops. Auto paints have come a long way and there might be something that will provide additional protection for the area you're looking to line-x. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to do the line-x on the exterior of the truck.
  • Options
    4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    at the boat and rv show a couple of weekends ago that had Line-X sprayed on the front of the hood to act as a hood protector!! Looked like an eye sore to me, but people were interested in it....
    But it was on a furd...need say no more I guess!! :D

Bob
  • Options
    nltnlt Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 GMC SLT 4X4 with the 5.3
    I am considering a 30ft 6000lb trailer.
    I am going to get a leveling hitch and I also have and active suspension. Which seems to work great.

GMC says I should be fine. The trailer people say I should be fine.
    I know the hills are going to be slow. But does any who owns my same truck have an opinion or have you towed a trailer like that?
    Any advice would be great.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    6000 lbs is on the lighter side for a 30ft travel trailer, (if that's what you are towing). Wet weight, with water, groceries, the dogs, wife and kids in the truck, generator, and all the other stuff we go camping with these days, you could be carrying a lot more.

Still, you can do it. Put it in tow/haul mode and enjoy. Hills won't have to be slow. Just depends how aggessively you drive them, i.e. whether you take a run at them, rpms wailing the whole way, or just relax and take what the hill gives you. Either way, you'll get there, and won't be the only one. Often, there's someone slower holding up the traffic in front.
  • Options
    4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Oh so true on your last statement, "Often, there's someone slower holding up the traffic in front."
    No matter how fast I can go, going up 285 and 50 to Gunnison, there are always people holding up traffic, and most aren't even towing!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
  • Options
    mantaeomantaeo Member Posts: 5
    hopefully purchasing the following soon!2002 GMC 1500 ext.cab long bed, SLE 4x4 with off rd pkg - cheaper than indiv options,trailing pkg, limited slip rear (off rd pkg includes among other things P265 x 16 tires. Need some input on engine and rear end selections. Truck will be used for daily commute 17 mls one way, occasional utility trailer pull and never off
    rd.(4x4 for winters here) comes with 4.8 liter standard/5.3 opt. (chevy comes with 5.3 standard with above setup) which rear end? anybody with similar setup? gas mileage?
  • Options
    opt for the 5.3 and the 3.73
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I really liked the 4.10 axle on my '99 Z71 4x4, and don't think there was any significant mileage penalty either. I averaged about 16-17.5 for all my driving. The 10% lower gearing of the 4.10 felt very nice, responsive, probably less downshifting on highway etc., especially for driving in mountains, oxygen deprived power etc. At lower elevations, maybe not as big a deal.
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Well my dad is about to buy a new Chevy ext. cab 4wd. He wanted me to do some research and find out about any must have options. He's not gonna get a loaded truck, no leather or anything, prolly just middle of the road. How much can these trucks be had for nowadays.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Your on the right website now go back to top of this page to the "new" section and pick the truck you want, plug in the options you want Edmunds will show you the pricing on what dealer would like to get, what they actually pay and true market value, it's simple and you can print it out to bring to dealers for negotiating your price.

Ray T.
  • Options
    One thing for sure get the V8. Other than that not much else required on a standard truck. He may want to check out the options that come with the LS and LT packages each costing a couple of thousand extra. If he wants a stripper, it should be no problem finding one. And, yes, I'm referring to Chevy trucks.
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I've got Indiana in a pool. Wasn't my choice, just a draw. I've been impressed after seeing them play a few times. Who knows?
    Tom
  • Options
    I hate IU
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I didn't think you could live in Indiana and say that. LOL
  • Options
    oh yes I can

Indiana is the basketball state however IU is a love/hate kinda team here. Me (purdue student) and my aunt (IU grad) get into it all the time.

IU is a very nice school dont get me wrong. I dont hate em that much.
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    it comes to Consumer Reports magazine.

I found the following article that lends some

credibility to the argument that CR is biased in

it's reporting.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4733

Now I will apologize in advance for the ensuing

flame war from loyal Toyotaists.

Walter (gator)

• Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I now know why there are motor homes towing vehicles (from little cars to large trucks).. They are required to slow traffic down. The middle and right hand lanes are theirs and theirs alone. From Key West to Atlanta this past week there was nothing but motor homes towing something.

Must say something about trucks. I am getting avg 15 mpg on 5.3 liter with 3.73 rear.
  • Options
    heading back north from their winter hybernation in Florida, hell you may have passed my parents on their way back. LOL Your mileage is right on with mine, same engine and rear axle. What ever happened to the posted 16 to 19 mpg range they put on the sticker??? The best I've ever gotten was 17 mpg on a trip. Well soon enough the mileages will be getting better in these gas hogs cuz the Feds are going to start clamping down on all those pick-ups and SUV's that have flooded the markets. Maybe by then GM will have the new ring sets and the boring problems worked out that causes this "knock" condition. LOL

BTW, did you get the warranty letter? I just hit the reply to your e-mail and sent it that way.

Ray T.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    (on the sticker) with diff. rear gears. I only get down to 15 in a bad week with my 2wd, 5.3 and 3.42 gears. Usually around 16.5 for weekly driving and 20+ on a 200 mile freeway trip.
  • Options
    cdnindccdnindc Member Posts: 14
    I have 16000 miles on my 2001 sierra x-cab sb 4x4 with 5.3L. I have an overall average of 15.4 MPG from day one. My top MPG was 18.5, all highway, but recently I have been averaging around the low 14 MPG range for normal driving. My driving is mostly city, but I don't have a heavy foot. Should I be expecting better MPG, or are others experiencing the same. Please post you MPG.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    2K 2500 EX.Cab 6.0 4x4 SB.....I am getting around 15 average mixed driving....with 49K though.....better mileage came about 10K ago...from 12.5 - to 15....I'll take it

- Tim
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I have an Excel Spreadsheet for my '00 Silverado, K1500, 5.3 liter, 3.73 liter, Ext Cab which I will share with anyone who is interested. This came originally from BCO (Kyle Werking).
    21K miles from 2/25/00 to date.
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    than 15 mpg in cold, bad weather, autotrac, winter gas. Best at almost 21 several times under ideal cruise conditions. 1500/5.3/4x4/ext/3.73/265. I be very happy now.
    -- Don
  • Options
    wow i am getting 12mpg city

I havent seen over 13 in a long time
  • Options
    You live in Northern Indiana, have a heavy foot, and spend a lot of time in city traffic; right? I admit to most of my winter mileage being on Denver beltway toll road. The high mpg numbers have been on cruise on rural 2-lane between Colorado Springs and Denver and a couple of tanks running 72 through So. Illinois and Indiana; all in summer.
    -- Don
  • Options
    im not complaining at all just showing people it could be worse.

Also as of late the truck has been in auto 4 wheel with all the snow/ice we have been getting.

as van diesel said in the fast and furious "i live my life a quarter mile at a time" haha stop light to stop light.
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    For comparrison sake, when I hot rod my Duramax, I get 16, when I hot rodded my 5.3L the same way, I got 9 LOL. Love the Diesel, the extra use of power only costs about 2 MPG, so I can afford to get on it on occasion, and give the other trucks a look at the POWER. LOL

Hunter
  • Options
    Hmmm; that strikes me as either an oxymoron or a good title for a country song.
    -- Don
    (Sorry, I was raised on 3x2, big block Chevys and Fords)
  • Options
    surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Looking for some comments. I purchased a new leftover 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3, Ext, LB, 3.73 Posi, 6400 GVW late last summer which now has 4000 miles on it. Mfr date 7-00.

The ride of this truck is not nearly as good as the '89 Silverado 4x4 Ext Cab LB that was replaced. Yea I know it's a truck but the '89 spoiled me. I had a solid axle '79 8300GVW before that and know what a real PU truck rides like. The 89 road as smooth as a car even though it had 115K on it. This new truck has a bucking type or chugging type motion (for lack of a better description) that is really accentuated by roads with tar strips. Usually the wheel base of a long bed helps on these tar strip joints. But even on ultra smooth black top this motion is noticeable at 40 - 55mph. It doesn't seem to be a wheel balance problem. My gut feeling is that it's due to an oscillation that develops between the suspension and drive train.

Is this typical of this truck and chassis? I've read some of the posts on vibrations but this doesn't seem to be the same but I'm really not sure. I'd like to drive another but the Ext Cab LB combination is hard to find especially on the 1500.

I also have a slight pull to the right that usually requires that I keep a constant (counter clockwise) tension on the steering wheel. On some roads it isn't as much of a factor but on most interstates it is noticeable. I took it into the dealer last week and they did a full 4 wheel balance using the a new Hunter machine that simulates road forces. They agree and will try a new tire next week.

I posted this on the GMC problem board but there isn't much activity there.
  • Options
    Yes it is an oscillation on expansion joints in certain conditions on concrete highways. I noticed that all the big three trucks do this.

You don't say if yours is a 4wd or not. But if you have the General tires on your truck, that is the source of your problem with the truck pulling due to crappy OEM tires. Swap the two front tires, if they pull in the opposite direction, you know its the tires.
  • Options
    my bounce almost COMPLETELY disappeared with 250 to 300 lbs in the bed. I put on a fiberglass bed cover and had a couple heavy items in the back.
  • Options
    surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for the responses and tips. I forgot to say it is 4WD. I think you might be onto something with the cap and weight. I'm going to be picking up an ARE cap next week. Dealer ordered 2 replacement Firestone Wildns AT 265/16 tires for the front. They call them M/S but they're a non-aggressive tread pattern. We're planning a long 6K trip in May.
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I had about 4,500 miles since last oil change - dealer replaced my battery - I plan on letting the computer determine when oil needs changing -

Does removal of battery reset the oil change light?

My clock needed to be reset, but I did not loose the radio stations.
  • Options
    brherrickbrherrick Member Posts: 6
    I read in a post awhile back about a site for seat covers that are custom made for your truck, mine being a 2002 HD 2500 with the 40/20/40 front seats. Could someone tell me again that web site? Thanks.
  • Options
    try

http://www.seatsavers.com

I just ordered a set and should have em in about a wk. Not very expensive either ($99 with an embroidered logo)

• Options
    snowstormsnowstorm Member Posts: 5
    About a year ago I was in the market for a "mid sized" sedan and consulted CR for a review comparing the Toyota Avalon with the Buick Le Sabre. One of my requirements was seating room. CR stated the the rear seat of the Buick could not seat 3 people while the Avalon spaciously(my word) seated 3 people. I checked both manufactures specs and discovered that the rear seat dimensions were almost identical. Went to Buick dealer and found that 3 people fit very nicely in the back seat. Didn't check the Toyota since CR told me it was comfortable with 3 people. Maybe they used different people for their test. Wide ones for the Buick and skinny ones for the Toyota!
  • Options
    lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Just went to my spred sheet from 7 miles to 24369 I have a 16.3 ave. It is a 01 ado with elec4/4 auto trans 5.3 motor excab s.b. and is located in N.E. Wash. I have the engine knock at start up had the steering shaft greesed other than that no problems. I have a cab high canopy I carry most of the time but have noticed I get a little better mpg with it off. Must be the weight can't figure any thing else.
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe the purpose of the post is to show the credibility of CR. I have to admit I do use CR when looking for the best paper clips.
  • Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I admit I have a subscription, but I don't buy paperclips.
    and you don't want to go there for a reference on buying a Silverado either, they suck according to their reports!

Ray T.
  • Options
    snowstormsnowstorm Member Posts: 5
    Didn't intend to promote sedans on a truck forum. If it helps I own a Dodge truck and am going to replace it with a GMC or Chevy very shortly. Will continue to follow this forum but keep quiet until I get my new truck.
  • Options
    obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    I have the click/clunk in my 2k Sierra after about 27,000 miles. Does anyone have the TSB # that was on this board a while back?
    Thanks in advance,
  • Options
    silveradobobsilveradobob Member Posts: 10
    Do any of you guys know where I can get a set of ADD_A_LEAFS for my 2001 Z71 ? I am thinking about getting the leveling kit from Hill and would want to raise the rear end a little if I do. Also, would add-a-leafs have to be for a 2001 specifically or would they all be the same ? Thanks
  • Options
    http://www.performanceproducts.com/

Do a search on vehicle type. Under suspension you will find the add a leafs

• Options
    everybody wanders off from time to time. The theme was still in the ballpark. At least it wasn't my CR is better than your CR!
  • Options
    TSB# 00-02-35-003 Clunking Noise Under Hood/Felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
    There was another one that came out that said to just lube the shaft but I don't have the # or discription, I think Obyone posted it awhile back.

A little help from the gallery out there for Obiggs......

Ray T.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    .....cuz MY CR is best!!

LOL

(Just funnin' with ya)

- Tim

....we don't care if topic gets off a bit......Now PF....that's another story....LOL
  • Options
    davecrook1davecrook1 Member Posts: 13
    The maintenance costs on my '95 F-150 Ext. Cab are "eating me alive"after only 87000 miles of tender loving care and,as a result,I'm looking for a replacement.My number one priority is a vehicle that will last 100,000 miles with no MAJOR repairs (i.e. transmisson,exhaust,alternator,water pump,etc.). I'm considering a Sierra 1500 Reg. Cab Short Bed because we bought a 2001 Yukon and it has been acceptable in terms of build quality (longevity remains to be seen as it only has 30000 miles.)I have two questions: 1)Is there ANY room behind the seats of a Reg. Cab for even a snowshovel? 2)How well is this series truck holding up for those of you approaching 100,000 miles? Don't want to spring for another extended cab as I rarely ,if ever,use that extra space.
This discussion has been closed.