Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    cjd10cjd10 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 01 GMC Sierra ext-cab 5.3 V8. This truck is great! I purchased this truck used with 18,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem until now. After 34,000 miles the idle is rough and very low when coming to a stop. Occasionaly the engine will stall. At speeds above 10 mph there is no problem. Dealer suspected alternator but after checking and running diagnostics could find no problem. The truck wants to stall when in gear at low idle but in park is somewhat better. Now at 43000 miles, and out of warranty, the AC compressor will shut off also at the low idle and seems to make the problem even worse. Injector cleaner and premium gas do not help. I have seen this problem posted before on a 2001 5.3 engine but no suggestions as to the problem. It acts like a vacuum line is leaking but they all appear OK.
    Any Ideas?
  • Options
    rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, If I had a bad cat would it possibly have a soft code in the computer? What about timing, could this do it? I do not have to have the exhaust tested in Ill.
    I agree with you it is not fuel. It has to be once the fuel has entered the motor.
  • Options
    westuagwestuag Member Posts: 7
    Chuck,
    Will the 2004 Z71 Crew Cab be built on a 1/2 ton frame or a 3/4 ton? Will it be a true Z71 as we know it today(suspension, frame, etc.) just with 4 doors or will there be some more heavy duty trailering stuff added to itlike the 1500HD?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You would think that a code should appear or even the emission light. Then again, this is not an exact science so I'd have them checked as there are two. They can replace the O2 sensors at the same time.

There is no timing adjustment avaiable unless reprogramming. For that you would need a tech2 and usually only a dealer would pay the $3k for it.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the 1500 Z71 CC is built on the 1/2 ton frame

the 1500HD CC is now called a reg 2500 i believe
  • Options
    I've seen your postings a few times on the rough idle at low rpm's. Sounds exactly the same as the problems I'm having with my 5.3 engine. Did you ever find the cause?
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Take your truck down to any major muffler chain. They will test for a plugged cat. conv. for FREE !

Ryan...didn't your dads old truck have a bad cat. a while back?
  • Options
    yea it did. Truck would die just pulling out of the garage. New cat and muffler all under $200
  • Options
    themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is and the procedure to replace it? How much are theyand what kind to purchase? Thanks
  • Options
    syl79705syl79705 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra P/U.....
    We changed out the plugs,wires,& fuel filter..
    The P/U is missing,and will die at times..What could be wrong with it??My check engine light comes on occasionally..It was tested and said it was mis-firing..This just started coming on..Any ideas??
  • Options
    rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    Mine was located inside the frame rail between the tank and the engine. It cost me about 10$. Be prepared with rags as alot of gas came out. also you will probably need some wd40 as mine was really rusted.
  • Options
    heres a link to how to change the fuel filter

http://home.att.net/~m.prendergast-alliedsignal/silverado_fuelfil- ter.html

they run about $15 (ac delco)
  • Options
    bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    On two separate trips to the dealer they were not able ( or not willing ) to find a problem with the idle. The truck still idles rough at stops and when put in park, though never to the point of stalling. It seems to be close to stalling , the RPMS decrease then increase just enough. Next time at the dealers , I will mention it again.
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    My 2001 1500 5.3 does the same thing...can feel the idle drop but never quite stalls. Taking it in tonight to have that and a list of other things looked at. If they tell me anything ill be sure to let you know.
    Tom
  • Options
    whats the rpms at idle?
  • Options
    i believe its down around 500 or so? that seem right?
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Most likely the problem is the electronic shift control unit in the dash (the push button thingy). Many have been replaced, including mine just last week. Luckily my dealer's service manager knew what I was talking about when I told him that was the likely cause of my Serice 4WD light.
  • Options
    should be at 500 (higher if cold out initially)
  • Options
    themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    That site was perfect. Just got my truck back from dealer for spongey brakes. It is a 2001 Sierra shortbed, and the rotors were rusted and they had to machine all 4. I have 19,000. I would rather them replace with all new ones. Has anyone had this problem and can I complain to GMC that The next time they rust out, wilI I be replacing them at my expence?
  • Options
    Any help would be appreciated. Sounds like the same problem, engine usually just idles down really low and rough and then picks back up. Not quite enough to stall and no check engine light.
  • Options
    madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    Do you also feel the throttle pedal sticking a little on the initial push? If so you may need to clean your throttle body. It gets carbon build up real bad in there. Simply remove the air intake hose at the front of the throttle body. This will expose the butterfly valve into the intake. Use a carb/fuel injection cleaner and spray into the intake around the butterfly valve. This is easier when you have someone to push on the gas to hold the valve open. You can use a soft BRASS brush (toothbrush size) to remove the carbon build up. Be careful not to scratch or grove the intake. I use paper towels or a rag. This will fix most rough idle problems The dealer will charge you about $100 to do this and it only takes a few min. Good luck
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    It's been running in the paper for weeks on end; a 2003 GMC Sierra 4Dr Ext. Cab for $15,995 - 2 at that price at a dealer in the Bay Area.

How stripped down can it be? They all have AT..right? How about AC? past that, I can't imagine needing much more for a work truck.

Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    probably comes with the 4.3v6 engine (auto is standard) and AC. Could look at www.gmbuypower.com and see if the dealer is listed and compare the list for msrp if the ad states it to see what comes with the truck. Thats a pretty good price for a base extended cab.
  • Options
    (sorry bout that wrong button) and under my complaint about the rough idle i dont even think they looked at it since it says "No idle adjustment possible, computer controled." And someone want to tell me what a "NORMAL cold engine noise(cold piston noise and carbon knock)" would be??? most times i wouldnt consider that normal.
  • Options
    pardon me for not scrolling back in the archives here, but are there any concerns with the 4.3 V6 engine? It's rated to pull over 8,000 lbs, which is way more than I would ever pull.
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    The young fellow who inspects our vehicles at the local GMC dealership told me just last month that GM has been having major problems with poor quality brake rotors for a couple of years now. He said if you have a brake problem the dealership just replaces the rotors instead of machining, because it's less trouble for the customer in the long run. He believes ALL rotor suppliers are making junk these days. The two big rotors I bought last year for my G20 van were only $26 each, which says something about what quality one might expect.
  • Options
    Heres the info from the 99 and up GM towing guide:
    ALL for reg cab: Note excab rates reduced guide sez to see GM dealer.
    Gross combo weight ratings ( this includes truck, cargo and trailer.
    GCWR 1500 reg cab with either Z-85, Z-X3, or Z-71
    options.
    4300 auto: 3:08 9000 lbs.-3:42 9500 lbs.-3:73 10,00 lbs. NOTE this is for BOTH truck, trailer & cargo ! Stick is 1000 lbs. less.

BALL HITCH 5000 lb. trailer with 600 lb tongue
     weight. NOTE: Weight Dist hitch required with sway control required for trailer over 5000 lbs.

NOTE all reg cabs listed below also. All also require either z-85,z-x3, or z-71 option.
    2wd 1500 Trailer weight 4900 lbs., 3:08 axle
                             5400 lbs., 3:42
                             5900 lbs., 3:73
    4wd 1500 5100 lbs., 3:42
                             5600 lbs., 3:73
    These are for 4.3, auto. trans. reg cab only.
    Stick trans. reduce by 1000 lbs.
    Ex-cabs cap. is reduced even further. Book sez see GM dealer. Hope this helps.............geo
  • Options
    I don't feel the throttle pedal sticking but will check and clean the throttle body anyway.
    I did notice that if you go to the search engine Dogpile and simply type in "5.3 rough idle" you will get several listings describing this problem but no answers. I do know that with my truck I usually only have this problem with the AC on. If the compressor is off it usually idles just fine.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    A good source of towing information is on the www.trailerlife.com web site. I think the latest one online is for 2002, but as there were no major changes in 2003, should help you out.

Jim
  • Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I currently own a 96 chev 1 ton xcab dually 4wd with 7.4l gas engine and 4spd auto.
    I am considering buying a short 5th wheel (ie 24-26ft.) and tow a triple with my 21 ft boat behind the trailer.
    I am wondering if anyone has experience towing a triple of similar and what things I should consider before I buy the 5th wheel.
    I know the truck will handle the weight fine, I expect total weight of trailer and boat to be between 10.5 to 12K lbs. The truck was used to tow a 11K 5th wheel and did fine.
    I am more worried about overall length, sway at highway speeds, weight distribution, etc. Any input would be nice.
  • Options
    I was told the same thing by my service advisor. She said they are using cheap (her words) materials and the rotors rust to easy
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Watch out for your total overall length. Different states have different maximum lengths for "recreational" towing. Here is a good website to show state by state regulations:

http://www.freetrip.com/rules_fr1.html

Jim
  • Options
    Have a 96 trailer guide handy too:
    7400, xcab, 4 wd...Must have RPO-KC4 engine oil cooler... total GCWR (total weight of trailer(s),
    truck, cargo and passengers.
    3:42-13,500 lbs., 3:73-15,000 lbs., 4:10-17,000 lbs., 4:56-19,000 lbs.
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Rusting and "delamination" were the words the inspection mechanic used to describe them. He said this is not exclusively a GM problem as even the replacement rotors from multiple suppliers were junk. I'm storing 2 new Bendix rotors I bought 10 years ago (still in the boxes) for my 26 year old car, and they looked different (much better) than the ones I bought for the van just last year. Lots of this new stuff now comes from China, and they apparently have metallurgical issues with their current products. I guess the solution is just to replace 'em when you get new pads if there is any question about their serviceability.
  • Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    jlf- Your link has some good info thanks. I had heard max length was 70', according to site it is 65', I am not sure I could find a rig to get me below that number. I guess I'll get out the tape when I get home.
    Sonja- thanks, I have the oil cooler, and 4:10 axles, but 17,000lbs GCVWR still puts me on the edge.
    Does anyone know the approx curb weight of my vehicle? I would guess 6500#. That would only leave me 10,500 for trailers and gear.
  • Options
    Those specs. are for a 1 ton. Book sez nothing about single or dual rear wheels.......

EDIT: Cat...checking another page today
    xcab longbox 3500 4x4.......GVWR 10,000 lbs.
    Book sez: Gross vehicle weight rating includes vehicle, passengers,equip., and cargo. All GVWRs of 10,000 lbs or higher require dual rear wheels.

Confused? Me too.
    What does your registration say for weight of truck?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member open chat!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Pop in for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    any particular reason(s) why anyone buys GMC over Chevrolet? Do the dealers treat people differently?
  • Options
    GMC's are for those that prefer the big mouth bass look. Chevy's are for those who don't. There's also been speculation that the GMC's have lock washers and that the Chevy's don't.

Dealerships are independent of manufacturers meaning that you could get a bad one no matter what brand you purchase.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    were purely looks. I liked the chrome side molding and the color-matched bumper trim on the GMC better. And the print on the cloth seats was a little less....well a little less, on the GMC. As for the "big mouth bass" look, that's almost even on the '03's. :) That's the bummer with the WBH Av...got that Silverado grille.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I bought my new 2001 Silverado because I thought the Chevrolet style (front end) looked better than the GMC.
    However, if I was buying a new truck right now, I'd get the GMC because I hate the way the new Silverado front end looks.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I agree with you completely. 2002 Silverados looked nice compared to 2003. Instead of improving quality and reliability of these trucks, GM tries to impress us with incessant front end redesigns and other gimmickry. Just because something looks different does not make it better. I noticed for example that there are definite and visible differences in gaps between body panels on these trucks. For example, on a new 2003 1500 HD crew cab, one gap between door and fender was about 3/8 inch and on the other side it was about 1/8 of an inch and the panels were misaligned. This on a $ 31K truck!!!!! Do they really think that everybody will even notice? I walked away from this one. And this is not an isolated case, believe me. Quality control is simply not there. When I see something like this, my first question is: How many things that I do not see are misaligned and out spec on this vehicle?
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I've been really happy with the build quality of my 2001, which was built in Ft. Wayne Indiana. There are a few things that could have been a little better, but overall I'm very satisfied. Then again, I ordered my truck, I didn't buy one off of a lot. And I spent over an hour thoroughly inspecting the truck (even with a tape measure and flashlight) before I gave the dealer any money.
    I wonder if that makes a difference when GM is assemblying the truck....do they do a more thorough job knowing someone ordered it, or do they even know?
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    even know. In any case I doubt it makes much diiference.
  • Options
    Who's going to roll a ball bearing down the hood line of a truck....it might disappear in a black hole especially one made by GM...LMAO!!!
  • Options
    chuckbenderchuckbender Member Posts: 19
    I just have to throw in a couple of cents worth regarding the build quality issue. As I've posted in the past a great deal of the problems we have in the plant here in Oshawa are a direct result of the garbage parts that GM expects us to use. I would expect that all GM truck and car plants experience the same problems since many parts are standardized throughout the corporation. We build the best we can with what they give us to work with, and I scrap as many parts as I can a shift if they don't pass my scrutiny...I ask myself would I want that part on my truck? BAM Scrap! Of course this doesn't sit well with management since that truck sits while a new part is fetched, and the mantra of management is Quantity not Quality. Quotas equal performance bonuses for management, and they'll do their damndest to move a job through to keep that line running whether there's a defect or not. On my job I have 2 minutes to perform 10 operations and if I don't have 80% an hour on time my supervisor is up my butt. No excuses are accepted. You cannot reason with them. The paycheck makes up for the harassment.
    We only know whether a vehicle is sold by a sticker on the windshield and that's only applied late in the build process. The sticker signifies that any defect/problems be attended to immediately prior to shipment rather than relegating the vehicle to the yard for repairs. Another point I'd like to make is if you're not satisfied with your vehicle then badger, harass, and make your dealer cringe when he sees you and if you're not happy take the problem to divisional headquarters. GM hates bad press on small issues and writes off major issues as normal(ie:engine knock) And finally, remember timing is important when purchasing a new vehicle. We have several hundred students working here during the summer(May to Labor Day) and most are too afraid to report a defect or wouldn't know one to see one. They are lucky to get an hours training before being left alone. Sorry for the long post...but I take my job seriously.
    Chuck
  • Options
    Great Post ! Funny tho. over at the news and views threads the naysayers carry on about UAW/CAW auto workers being over paid and lazy etc. and not giving a rats butt about the cars they build. Yet they champion the non-union transplant auto makers and employees endlessly.
    Then carry on about the "global economy".
    I have yet to see a low paid 3rd world worker buying a new $35k GM truck.
    My mom and uncle worked for GM for years and were lucky to get out early with a golden parachute at 55. I know the BS they put up with !
    Keep up the good work!..............geo
  • Options
    Chuck

Keep up the good work. Many of us appreciate workers like you.
  • Options
    mine was built with them kids on the line.....
  • Options
    Where was your truck built ? Janesville, Texas, or mexico?
This discussion has been closed.