Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Thanks, we are very flattered hearing you compare the P5 with all those nice and more expensive cars. I must disagree in one point though. I don't think cars which are designed with front wheel drive (FWD) is necessary a bad thing as long as there is no significant torque-steer and its weight distribution is not too unbalanced. IMHO, more rear wheel drive is nice only from 150hp. But I must admit I haven't drive many RWD cars to be completely objective. On the side historical note, I think the first car ever on earth is RWD. Citroen, a french company is the first to make a FWD (the "Traction"), and it was a revolution at the time it come out (it's not easy to design a power transmission to those moving wheels). It becomes quickly a reference car in term of handling.

Bruno
  • Options
    mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    sorry, i really did look, but i wish edmunds would get a better bulletin board system. There is absolutly no way of searching for a particular post :(
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I have a friend in a similar dilemma, except he's looking at the Impreza TS wagon and other cars, including the Pro5. What I really like about the TS is the AWD, 4-channel ABS, and the larger engine w/ more torque and HP.

What I like about the Pro5 is the styling, 4 wheel disc brakes, and lower profile tires. I like the looks of the Impreza sedans, but am not a fan of the Sube wagons.

If I recall correctly, the GTI has very impressive crash test scores and the turbo /6 speed would be mighty fun.

From what I've heard from a former Subaru salesperson, Subaru reliabilty is incredible. He said they had to try to make as much money off of the sale because aside from regular maintenence, the cars never came in with problems.

I think both the Pro5 and the Impreza TS are impressive vehicles. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I think it'll mostly come down to your preference. <---- Sorry for the cop-out! hehehe
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "From what I've heard from a former Subaru sales person, Subaru reliability is incredible."

I hear Ford salesmen say the same thing about Fords...lol

BTW, the P5 has 4 channel ABS, but they call it ABS with EBD.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    wasn't the british "mini" that had the first FWD?
  • Options
    pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    I also compared Subaru Impreza RS/TS and P5 before purchasing P5 as my commuter car recently. I thought both cars drove well and I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I ended up choosing the P5 due to lower price, better styling (both exterior and interior), and 0% APR financing Mazda was offering at the time. I thought the Subaru had better acceleration, comparable handling and ride, and the "beauty of AWD". Depending on how much snow/rain you get, AWD may be impact your decision differently. I'd suggest test driving both cars back-to-back before making your final decision, but both are great cars and you will do well with either one. Good luck.
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I cross shopped those two cars extensively myself. I found the interior a bit tight on the OBS compared to the P5 and to be honest I wasn't impressed with it's on road handling at all. It felt vague at highway speeds. The turn in was really bad. I know most of that is due to the taller suspension. So I checked out the TS wagon. The one little irritating thing that I found is that you can't get Cruise Control from the factory on that car. Pretty much as soon as I saw the P5 I wanted one. I was increbily impressed with it's looks and price compared to the OBS.

AFter reading an article that compared FWD w/snows to AWD wo/snows in C&D(?) they came to the conclusion that the FWD w/snows compared very favorably to AWD wo/snows. I decided that for what I wanted in a car (small zippy and roomy) the P5 was the better fit.

My wifes next car will be a full size Outback. In my opinion no one does AWD better than Subaru. Eithe way you will end up with a good car. IT all comes down to which one FEELS better. Oh and the all important $$$$ factor. 9chuckle)
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    man I never really pay attention to what RPM I shift at. I just do what feel natural to me. The first time this discussion came around was hte only time that I really payed attention. (chuckle) My wife asked me after I got the new 5speed P5 how I decide what gear to be in. I thought about it for second...."I have no idea" (grin) I drove a stick for so long before my last car that I don't even think about it.
  • Options
    The Citroen Traction Avant (FWD in french) was first produced in 1934. When was the Mini?
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    But there was a couple of FWD cars before the Citroen. In the 1907 area, there was a car called the Christie touring car which had FWD, also in 190 Cord came out with the L29 which was FWD.
  • Options
    douglamdouglam Member Posts: 67
    http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/passenger/laser/Laser.asp

OMG!!! It's EXACTLY the same!!! (especially the interior, except the steering wheel)

I don't know about you guys, but i feel disgusted... :)
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I think I like our US Mazda version more.
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    It kinda has a Kia Rio Cinco flavor to it, I thought (the exterior).
  • Options
    Beside some cosmetic changes, I notice there are some differences in engine specs.

P5 vs Laser SR2
    ------------
    Compression ratio 9.1/9.7
    Torque (ft-lb@rpm) 135@4000/128@4500
    Power (hp) 130/133

Notice that they made a gross mistake in the webpage. The compression ratio is said to be 9:7 which is 1.2857 I bet one could see the piston moving without a microscope. ;-)

Bruno
  • Options
    phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    I used to really love my P5, until I saw it with the "F" word on the grill. I know Ford and Mazda have been sharing platforms for years, but that was repulsive! Of course, outside of their trucks, this is the only way they'll ever have a dependable car!

The above comments will surely start a fight from Ford lovers, but I speak from the experience with four of their "high quality" vehicles and the companies lack of concern for their customers!
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "Will your wife allow you to drive the protege5 to mapp3 this year?"

by Jason

If not, lets invite her to MAPP #3 and Meade can stay home with his son! ;-))))

Both the Pro-5 and Tammy are better looking than Meade anyway. Hehe!!!

-Larry
  • Options
    elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    Picked her up at the airport just a few days ago and have already burned half a tank of gas getting back from El Paso and running around town madly trying to pick up things I need for school. I'm about due for a good wash as well as an oil change. I need to find a non-windy day to wash so I don't get sand stuck to my nice wet car. Temperature is no problem...it's been in the 70s here the last few days :)

Just for a laugh, I'm going to have a Pro5 comparo coming up with a 4 cylinder automatic 626 and a V6 auto Tribute, both of which I got to drive over my break :)
  • Options
    Welcome back! Hey, don't you dry your car after you wash it? Please don't tell me that you bring it to the automatic station thing; this beautiful babe deserves better than that! ;-)
  • Options
    Yesterday night I was zoom-zooming along a feeder road along a Hwy about 60mph. There is a blue BMW M3 (previous generation) going in the same direction than me for about 1 mile. The traffic light turn yellow, we both break and stop next to each other on an empty street (it was 11PM), I parked in a middle lane and he was on my left. Suddenly, he made a reverse, going backward for 20ft or so. I was thinking that the guy decided in the last minute to change lane and turn right. Guess what, no, he just wanted to check out what kind of car is this strange yellow hachback. After the light turn green, we both take a Hwy, I followed him on a turning ramp, we zoom-zoomed next to each other for about 5 miles or so. Nice.

Bruno
  • Options
    Bruno: Unfortunately I usually do the automatic wash at the local Shell station about once every 3 weeks or so. I try to give it a good hand wash when I can to get all the stuck on grime off but I live in a dorm at school and don't always have access to all the water or space I need to wash it by hand. Every once in a while my fraternity will have fundraiser car washes and I always take advantage of those to get a good hand wash done. I take good care of my cars but I've never been one to spend 4 hours detailing a car either...I'm too practical and realize it'll only take a day or two to get it grimed up again.

I've been parking next to a 3 door Ford Focus Kona edition lately. It's silver just like my Pro5 and it's amazing how similar these cars are. The Focus is a bit shorter in length and a bit taller than my Pro. IMHO the Protege5 has a much better front end with the large air dam, sleek headlights, and huge fogs. The ground effects on the Pro5 also make the Focus look a bit ordinary. Still the Focus isn't bad but I park next to it so the owner can see my Protege and see what he could have had instead :)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That Laser has got to be a P5 clone. Minus the good looks.

OBS or P5? Good choices, both. I've test driven both. Both handle well, but aren't truly fast. Room, I felt, was similar.

Our 626 has been giving us trouble lately, but my Miata is bullet proof. My Forester is excellent, so reliability is good for both.

It comes down to AWD for the extra cash. Does it snow where you live? Do you drive on gravel or dirt roads a lot? Do you visit orchards for apple picking, where the extra ground clearance comes in handy?

I like both, and just wish each was bigger. With 2 kids on the way a Legacy or Mazda 6 wagon will better serve us.

Good luck.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Is this a new twist for you and the Mrs???
  • Options
    mljaymljay Member Posts: 1
    I bought me new P5 online and it is supposed to be delivered to my home this afternoon (gotta love that service!). We got it loaded, however, the dealer claims that there are no mud guards available for the P5 and this was corroborated by Mazda Central! What gives? Do any of you have mud guards? Are they Mazda branded or are they after-market and if the latter where did you get them and are you happy with them. We have a Honda CRX-si and two VW buses (71 & 67) so this new vehicle should round out our driving options!
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    ...into the lower body cladding. Or they're supposed to be, anyway.

Mudguards are available from Mazda for the non-MP3 Pro Sedan. The P5 and MP3 use almost identical front and lower side cladding.
  • Options
    I should have said "with a 2nd kid on the way", though I wouldn't mind twins. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I checked the Mazda site and here at Edmunds and couldn't find anything on special financing or offers for the P5. I'm still 2 months away from turning in my lease car, but at this point I'll jump on the best deal I can find. I'd hate to pass up a great deal only to find when I turn my car in there are none to be found. Does anyone know of any current or upcoming deals. Middle to end of February would be best, but it's hitting the point that I can be serious about buying given the right circumstances.
  • Options
    everyones bored with this board? there hasnt been much talk lately.

Does anyone know other bulletin boards or websites that deals with Protege and Protege 5's? Please give me any links that you have.

I currently am a member on www.protegeclub.com
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Thing usually slow down here during the weekends, and start to pick up again after Monday. You'll be seeing more traffic soon.

Btw, one thing I should point out is that our Town Hall membership agreement, which you agreed to when joining states: "you agree to not promote other auto forums that provide message boards or chats."

This is not to say that you cannot mention another auto forum... especially to help another member with a problem... and want to direct them to information you know is available else where.

We just ask that you not promote other message boards, or make them the main focus of the discussion here. Hope you understand, this is standard practice for most message boards. You do of course, have your email to conduct such exchanges. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The current P5 incentives at my dealership are as follows...

1.9% up to 36 month's
    3.9% up to 60 month's
    with credit tier approvals 0-2..

$400 college grad rebate is available if you qualify.

Rich
  • Options
    mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    I tell my students that I am their mentor and they my proteges. A few weeks ago I noticed a student sporting around campus in a p5 just like mine; silver. Two weeks ago I saw another student cruising through campus in a blue mp3; sweet looking. We are taking over our campus!! later zoomers
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Wow, guess I should call a local dealer then, didn't see anything like that listed anywhere. 3.9 for 60 could put in my car sooner than later.....
  • Options
    douglamdouglam Member Posts: 67
    I guess I should post here instead in the problems and solution board for the benefit of all P5 owners.

For those who are waiting for the harness to be available to upgrade their factory head unit, the wait is over! It's out!!! The harness is made by Best Kits. The part number is: BHA7902 (for 01-02 Mazda Protege)

It's available from:

http://www.autosoundgear.com

Hope this helps!

• Options
    When I financed it over 60 months back in June. That was about the best you could do then and my dealer was positively astonished Mazda American Credit was offering that on a new model. He was also relieved because my parents bought a Tribute from the same dealer when those first came out and got fairly screwed with a high rate which didn't last very long.

I saw a yellow 3 door Ford Focus today just long enough to wrinkle my nose and think about how ugly it was. I never liked the high mounted tail lights and the yellow was not a real sharp color, it was sort of a lemony yellow. Bleh. I also saw a silver WRX. I know better than to mess with that guy though, my Pro and I have already learned our lesson on that one :)
  • Options
    westy5westy5 Member Posts: 24
    Rich (audia8q),

I purchased my P5 on 11/30/01 and took advantage of the Grad Rebate Program. To date, I have not received my $400 check. Is this something I need to take up with Mazda directly or should I go through my dealer??

Your help is appreciated.
  • Options
    Are you sure that the grad rebate wasnt given to you at purchase? When I purchased my P5 in December, the $400 was given to me at purchase, and the dealer had me sign a paper saying that Mazda would give the dealer the $400 check. This is for the benefit of the consumer. The paper I signed was a official Mazda document, so I think this should be offered by all dealers. Check your paper work. If all else fails, contact Mazda via email or 1-800 number. You can get the email and 1-800 #from www.mymazda.com. Hope this helps...
  • Options
    boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    so over on the sedan board, some people mentioned being able to install either a ZEX or NOS kit, 55 shot, without having to do much other mod to 2.0 engine.

can someone tell me basically what happens? u press a button and a shot comes out and you get an extra boost? should you only do this in fifth gear? or do you get boosted in every gear? danger of running past redline?

just looking for some extra oomph every now and then,
    boopoppa
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    For more info and a visual on NOS, I recommend you watch the movie "The Fast and Furious". :)
  • Options
    You can use it in any gear except first.

A 55 shot basically means 55 extra horsepower (temporarily). It will certainly add stress to your engine, so anything that was on the edge of failure will certainly be more likely to fail. It'll add stress to all drivetrain components (clutch, tranny, diffy, axles, etc.).

I'm sure the engine has a rev limiter, but the revs will climb rather quickly.

-juice
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It will add alot of stress to the engine, transmission, and all the other stuff. I would not recommend it though. But it's your car. :)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "For more info and a visual on NOS, I recommend you watch the movie "The Fast and Furious". :)"

And if you want to learn how to shoot straight watch a Clint Eastwood flick.

If you want to know more about it, go to: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/NOS.html

• Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    A 55 shot of NOS might stress the engine, but I know the rest of the driveline could handle roughly 180 hp just fine.
  • Options
    mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    I haven't been posting in a while but i am back.

First, there are other "5" forums outthere. I posted them awhile back. Maybe revka deleted them. She seems to delete a lot of my posts :) j/k
    If you want a list email me.

The 400 grad rebate should have been added to your down payment. If you gave $2500 as example then the dealer should have wrote down $2900 on the paper.

NOS will stress your engine, tranny, etc just like a turbo and supercharger will. Life of turbo engine is less than the same engine non-turbo. However if you only use NOS occassionally and rarely, like when you go to your local cruise spot to find competition you shold be just fine and your engine will "age" normally.
  • Options
    mustang87, what is your email? Its not in your profile.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Welcome back! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    In Canada, when I applied for my grad rebate, I had the option of
    a) having Mazda send me a cheque, or;
    b) applying the rebate directly to my down-payment.

We also get $750 CDN, but that's litte consolation because our dollar is doing so poorly.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Generally we apply the $400 grad rebate to the price of the car...Thus reducing the selling price by $400.
    We have never done it any otherway...check your paperwork and see if you were credited the $400 on your paperwork...If not i suggest you follow up with your dealer and mazda customer relations...

hope you love your P5

Rich
  • Options
    Doh. I forgot about that option Rich just mentioned in his above post.
  • Options
    buzzmn1buzzmn1 Member Posts: 2
    First time aboard.
    I pickup my new P5 tomorrow. I went with Mazda again because of my experience with my 1989 323 hatch back. It seems like the "Energizer Bunny" of cars; it keeps going, and going, and going. Still gets over 35 mph with 145,00 miles and I plan to donate it to a local charity. While the salesman was playing his silly paper games, I stood at the window and looked at the "Gray Ghost" and felt a bit sad. It's been a great car. Got the P5 for a bit under the Edmunds TMV and due to medical reasons(we all get older!)opted for an automatic. Sure going to miss that 5-speed.
    I've read posts that speak highly of P5 ownership, the reviews are good, and my experience has been terrific. So, I think I made an excellent choice, but its got to fill some big shoes. Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    mp5freakmp5freak Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the tip on the harness. Best kits emailed me and let me know but I've been looking to see whether the adapter kits are available. That is, the kit that adapts a regular single-DIN head unit to the wierd double-DIN (?) in the Pro5. Any luck?
  • Options
    Congrats, welcome, and enjoy :) It should be well worth your money. It's rare anymore for a car to be fun, functional, and affordable, and the Mazda Protege5 is all these things. I'm a 21 year old college student and the things I like about my Pro5 are that it looks good, is fun to drive (more than people realize until they ride with me), gets good gas mileage, has 4 real doors with a real back seat, and a hatch easily big enough for a week's worth of groceries. What more could you ask for at any age?
This discussion has been closed.