Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera Transmission

2»

Comments

• Options
    grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    I just noticed a new Service Bulletin concerning cold transmission operation. It doesn't specifically refer to either one of your problems but the clue is that the transmission is controlled by the computer. The service bulletin talks about reprogramming it for better operation. It might be worthwhile to have the dealer service people check your program. The term "Normal" seems to be a very overworked word by service people who don't have the foggiest idea of how to deal with an owner complaint. My "Normal" front suspension noises are another perfect example of this.
  • Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    How did you determine that it's not downshifting properly? At any rate, I've not experienced any notable peculiarity when working my way through traffic and I do indeed use the power on occasion (wayyyy too often :blush: ) to manuever my way through the lane hogs while traveling at lower than 5th-gear speeds...
  • Options
    tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    I recently purchased a new 2006 Azera SE. After driving it for about a month, I have become more aware of a definite lag when, in the automatic mode, the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. Other shifts do not seem to be affected. This happens under most any type of acceleration, although it is less noticeable under light acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this with their Azera? I am scheduled for my first oil change (dealer paid) in the next week or so and I would like to have more information when I speak with the service writer.
  • Options
    gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Post #1943 of the Hyundai Azera 2006 thread.

Also there's an earlier thread, Hyundai Azera Transmission:
    pat, "Hyundai Azera Transmission" #1, 18 Aug 2006 4:00 am
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE:
    Although the Azera has an adaptive transmission which "learns" your driving habits and changes shift patterns based on your actual driving, the tech at my local dealership claims that the adaptive pattern cannot be zeroed out.
    I am not positive that he is correct, although he claims that he checked this out with Hyundai engineering.
  • Options
    pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    My XG350 had the adaptive learning transmission and I had a hard time to get adjusted to it. The Azera functions much better than the XG. I did think that the adaptive learning could only be zeroed out by the dealer. On the XG you could just unhook the battery to wipe out the adaptive learning.
    I think the transmission lag is something we may all have to learn to adjust to along with the drive by wire. We are all accustomed to things being mechanical and throttling up was instataneous. With drive by wire there is an accelaration lag. There is also a minor transmission lag with these adaptive learning trannies but in the long run we pick up a little MPG. I do notice going up one particular long incline after leaving my house that I have to accelarate harder to get the car to shift into overdrive. I experience that same thing with my 99 Jeep Cherokee. Of course, my wife drives the Azera more than me.
  • Options
    RE: 60
    Has anyone found out if the transmission adaptive memory can be zeroed out by dealer? Mine claims that it cannot.
  • Options
    theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    Yes they can "flush" the memory. I had it done along with the reprogramming to reduce the delay in the 1 - 2 shift on my '06. FYI it was covered under the free 1st year adjustments part of the warranty, as was the wheel vibration issue which also has a couple of TSB's issued for.

The shifts still have a brief delay under WOT, but not nearly the 1 or 2 seconds of nothing with the original programming. Around town, the delay is barely noticeable since the reprogramming & memory flush.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Perhaps the reason you have to accelerate more to get a shift into overdrive is because the car is not warmed up yet. Most cars will not lockup the torque converter until a certain temperature is reached.
  • Options
    pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    Re:63
    I'll keep that in mind and try that same hill with a warm engine and transmission. Thanks for the thought.
  • Options
    fourteen14fourteen14 Member Posts: 85
    I know that I am a little late responding to this problem, but returning the AT to performance adaptive shifting is almost too easy.

If you want the AT to be more responsive, just:

(1) At over 50 mph, slap the gas pedal to the floor and back as quickly as possible about 10 times in a row.
    (2) Do this so quickly that the AT does NOT have a chance to downshift.
    (3) After too much gentle driving, the AT will slowly become less and less responsive. When it does, repeat steps (1) and (2)!!

I have found that this procedure works great on my Dodge Magnum and my Azera, and should work equally well on any newer car with an adaptive AT.

PS: My old '91 Jeep Cherokee had a toogle switch on the dash to choose between performance or economy AT shifting. This new fancy adaptive shifting is another example of a computer doing what it thinks you want, rather than what you may really want!
    I normally drive smoothly, but when it is time to GO, I want to GO! At times I can almost visualize my AT's computer scratching it's little head trying to decide if it wants to do what I ask!!
  • Options
    prt4prt4 Member Posts: 9
    i don't think this trans has a uphill-holding feature
    am i right or wrong?
  • Options
    dfenn1dfenn1 Member Posts: 7
    My 07 Azera does not know what to do when downshifting while going uphill. It starts bogging down and when it finally downshifts its takes off as if you put it to the floor. Dealer says theres nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    mkornguthmkornguth Member Posts: 4
    dfenn1,

My 07 Azera (600 miles) seems to do the same thing. It can be a little bit disconcerting. Is this the adaptive learning others were mentioning?
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    There have been numerous posts relating to the Azera transmission's ( and from what I gather, many other of the newer " adaptive " trannies ) delay in downshifting.
    It apparently is designed to hold higher gears for better fuel economy. I have had similar problems when merging onto the freeway. The fix for me has been to use the autoshift feature in that situation and drop down a couple gears manually, then go back to auto when the merge is complete.
    I don't feel this should be necessary, but it is.
    As far as others saying that I need to " hotrod " the car for awhile to teach it to downshift more readily - no thanks, I'll just try to anticipate needing a downshift and do it manually.
  • Options
    RE: 71
    Good thinking!
  • Options
    mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    This is some good info to have. I've been driving my '07 Azera for about 7 months now and just yesterday had a very alarming experience. I needed to accelerate from a stop quickly to avoid a traffic situation. Upon starting out the car rapidly accelerated in 1st gear, but then seemed to go into a dead zone which seemed to last forever before finally upshifting into second and continuing on.

Since then, I've tried moving it into manual shifting and changing gears. The tranny still seems to float before making the shift from 1st into 2nd. Anybody have any thoughts?
  • Options
    theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    Good news -- There is a TSB to address this. The # is; 07-40-002 it was issued in February 2007. It covers a slow 1 - 2 shift under WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Your dealer can simply reprogram the tranyy for you so that the 1 - 2 shift happens a little quicker. If you do not already have an account at hmaservice.com, sign up for one. This way you can get a ton of info on your car from Hyundai.
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    :)

You are both right and wrong, sort of! ;)

If you are facing uphill and wish for your Azera to not roll backwards, simply use the
    SHIFTRONIC feature and manually shift into "2" and release the brakes, and
    you will feel the car start to move backwards, and then stop rather abruptly.
    Works like a charm.

Don't forget to manually downshift back to "1" when you want to start uphill unless the incline is not
    too steep. You'll be able to tell if you need to go down to "1" when your car seems to be straining.
    It takes a fairly steep incline to make our cars strain when starting off from rest in second gear.
    I do start most of the time this way because I think it helps a little with fuel economy.
    That's unless some young hot-rodder thinks he's got a fast car. ;)

I don't think this applies when your car is facing downhill.

So you do have a "keep if from rolling backwards hill holder" if you want to
    go to and use the SHIFTRONIC feature. Kind of slick don't you agree? ;)

NOW, if only some computer type would figure out how to program
    the tranny computer so it could be manually upshifted earlier.

• Options
    RE: 75
    It seems like a lot of work to me since all cars come with these great hill holders for both up and down hill.
    They are called brakes.
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    RE: # 74

"There is a TSB to address this. The # is: 07-40-002. It was issued in February 2007.
    It covers a slow 1 - 2 shift under WOT (Wide Open Throttle.)"

I would love to read 07-40-002, but I cannot get that TSB to come up! :cry:

How to do so? :confuse:

Thanks in advance. :D

• Options
    monkeycbmonkeycb Member Posts: 4
    So I've had my '07 Limited Ultimate Azera for about 8 months now with 9k miles on it. I love the car and am really happy with it minus one very annoying issue thats been happening for about 1k miles or so. When I lift off the gas to coast for a bit the revs will settle down to about 1k then suddenly surge to about 1.6k with a noticeable chug. As if the car is down shifting almost(which it isn't). it will then fall back down to 1k and repeat. It only happens when its coasting and the revs are low. Around 1k-1.4k I would say.

I brought it to the dealer to check it out. Basically they confirmed the issue checked for an update for the ECU(there wasn't one) and told me that they put in a case for it with Hyundai, but there was nothing they could do and that it wouldn't hurt the car.

My question is: Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It really seems like an electrical or, more likely, an electronic issue. Most likely the computer, but i suppose it could be the engine itself or transmission.
    And second, what should I do about it? It's really frustrating to have a brand new car with such an annoying issue.
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re. # 1: I brought it to the dealer to check it out. Basically they confirmed the issue checked for an update for the ECU(there wasn't one) and told me that they put in a case for it with Hyundai,

First of all, don't believe for a moment they will. File your case direct with Fountain Valley, CA and get a case #. Send a registered letter to the owner of the dealership with copy to Fountain Valley outlining the problem and requesting a factory representative to meet you at the service department to inspect and drive your vehicle. If they ask you to leave your vehicle demand a suitable loaner.

Hyundai and many of their dealers take great delight in stone-walling issues such as yours. Good luck.
  • Options
    cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    BS! This is a safety issue! Demand to see the Service Manager.....Then demand a loaner vehicle.....Then tell them to call you when the your car is repaired....Then find a new dealer. Be sure to mention the safety issue. This really gets their attention.
  • Options
    snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    "Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It really seems like an electrical
    or, more likely, an electronic issue. Most likely the computer,
    but I suppose it could be the engine itself or transmission."

Mine does that also, and I think it is in the TCU soft ware, and not the engine.

The T/C seems to be locking and then unlocking, back and
    forth, as if is does not know what to do. Most annoying.

Mine will do the exact same thing with the cruise control engaged when going
    down a grade. This is not normal when compared to other vehicles.
  • Options
    jumpdadjumpdad Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2007 model about one month ago. if i maintain throttle at about 40 to 45 mph, the whole car starts vibrating/shaking slightly (very little but noticeable). any one have any ideas as to why this happens? is this something the dealer should be able to fix?
  • Options
    RE: 83
    Sounds like front tires are out of balance.
  • Options
    hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I think floridabob is correct
  • Options
    jumpdadjumpdad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I will check with dealer.
  • Options
    e_de_d Member Posts: 2
    -Bought ours on Dec 31 and noticed the vibration, took it back and they rebalanced the front wheels.

-Transmission, on the test drive I noticed the transmission lag from 1-2, even took the manager for a ride and showed it to him. Didn't purchase that one but purchased another one. Forgot to mention, this is my wifes care. We went from a Avalon to this by the way. Anyway, when I drive it, I notice it shifts differently from new.. Someone mentioned TSB's going to check on that.

-Maybe I should start a new topic, but thought I would start here. My wife called me about an hour ago, I couldn't answer, on Jury duty. But anyway, she couldn't get it into park. The engine was running, foot on brake. She was able to shut the engine off and start up ( in neutral) again and that didn't solve the probem. Eventually she was abale to do it. This is the second time for her. I was thinking user issue, but before I touch that, anyone else have this problem/

Thanks
  • Options
    pcunniffpcunniff Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your post.

My confusion is that the owner's manual for my 07 Azera Limited says that the mirrors tilt down in reverse if the mirror selector switch is left in the "L" position. No they don't. Dealer expresses complete mystification and does nothing.

To pour salt in the wound, the '07 Kia Sedona van which I rented from Enterprise a few months ago claimed exactly the same feature in its owner's manual, and yet did nothing of the sort.

Any clues about this?

In addition, are to able to advise me about how to activiate the "exit" memory feature, and/or get power to the memory switches without the key being in?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    From what I've read on this board the American version of the Azera does not have this feature even though it mentions it in the owners manual. The Korean versions do have it.
This discussion has been closed.