Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Navigation

Comments

• lawgirl613lawgirl613 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to change the Navigation voice from a woman to a man? I've managed to change the voice when it comes to making a phone call but I'd really like to have a man's voice rather than a woman. :confuse:
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    if you have an 08-the nav voice is female only-before that you go to setup-then go to more-then basic settings-female or male voice choice is there. I have the male voice on my 06 tsx
  • bgreerbgreer Posts: 1
    Has anyone used a downloaded update from sources such as File Access Plus? Is there any danger to the system or repercussions from using info other than from the authentic Acura source?
  • Is the algorithm that the Navigation Package uses documented anywhere. On a recent trip, it navigated me 30 miles out of the way for no obvious reason. It does not seem to understand busy streets with lots of lights vs. heading to a freeway that might make the total distance a mile longer but the total time dramatically less. Does it attempt to navigate around traffic. On a recent trip, it told me to take 275 around Cincinnati, OH heading south, but 71 North through Cincinnati heading North. Does time of day enter into its calculation?
  • I have a 2005 TSX and my Navi is no longer working. I have had it diagnosed at the local dealer and it will cost me over $6,000 for a new unit or ship it away for repairs with no guarantee's for $700.00. I barely use my navi as I live in canada and most areas are not illustrated due to the region I'm in. I have boughten updates over the years. I have 160, 0000kms on my TSX and like the car. I did plenty of research on this navi system and at the time was the best on the market. Now I'm faced with no navi and limited settings for radio and heater controls. This is a non wearable part and all it does is sit in the trunk and read a disk. I strongly believe this is not my fault as the option is nearly 20% of the cars value at new. Now if I spilt a soft drink on the navi system yes I will be to blame. But all Acura is standing on is your off warranty. I would like to know if anybody has experienced any other problems with their own navi system or if there is any other forums out there that you read any articles on. Or if you know of any understanding dealerships out there that would know how to further diagnose the problem.
  • Does anyone know if we can take the nav DVD out of our new Acura TSX with Tech package and use on our 2008 Honda Accord? Our TSX has Accuweather as well.

Thank 4 any info
    :shades:
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    That seems like a huge rip off. The most likely culprit is the DVD drive itself which should only be a few hundred $. One of the main reasons virtually all cars have gone away from touch screens is their reliability. Most new cars use a joystick instead. You may want to visit Acurazine, wade through the various posts in the TSX section and if needed register/post a question there. They are helpful bunch.
    It would take a few seconds to try it. You can also Google the version of Nav used in each vehicle.
  • Yes i have this same problem with my navigation in my 2004 acura tsx it stopped working right around 100,000 miles and i took it to the dealer ship and they said cause of the lines that had been in the disk that it was a sign of the navigation system wearing out. But I have subs in my car but im not positive it broke from that!!!!
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    Anybody experiencing a problem with the turning instuctions by voice? My lady keeps telling me second right or second left turn when it's the next right or left turn not the "Second." She keeps saying "Second." I think there is a glitch in the Nav disc. :mad:
    I can't say that I've noticed that. I glance at the screen to make sure about direction regardless of what the voice prompt says.
  • same thing happened to me beginning last month. 2004 tsx w/ only 70k. navi voice gargles and sounds like the game pac-man. directions work but voice command is useless because it is just a gargling noise. screen also goes in and out randomly and constantly requests a password. had to go back and get pin reset.
  • same problem @ 65K on 04 TSX. haven't brought it in yet.
  • I am having the EXACT same problems with mine! Except sometimes, when the navigation resets and then asks for my PIN, the touchscreen is unresponsive. The voice commands do nothing at all when I press the button and give it a command except give me a garbled static computer noise. Have you been able to figure out the problem? I just bought mine from eBay.
  • jlpc81jlpc81 Posts: 2
    How did you reset the PIN? Did that fix your problem? This problem is killing me. Thanks
  • nanbevinanbevi Posts: 3
    No. Dealer "alledgedly" reset pin. Today, I Iooked in my manual for radio code and the "new" pin was the original pin when I was purchased the car. So they never changed it. Navi voice came back on but now screen gets frozen/black every other day/hour. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Pulled fuse for car to try and reset but still doesn't work. Has the green bar(as if it is rebooting) but then nothing!!!!!!!!! Haven't had time to bring it in yet plus scared of COST!!!!!!!
  • dgreene697dgreene697 Posts: 1
    2005 TSX with Nav. Notice after driving the car for 30 minutes or so, navigation system stops working. Screen frozen, sometimes get message "disc read error' . Happens more often in hot weather. Checked box/player in trunk, when display freezes the box is *hot* to the touch. I believe, like a computer, it's shutting down because it's getting too hot. If I shut off the car for about a half hour, it works again. Had this problem for about 6 months but just discovered the heat issue. Acura wanted me to replace disc or player but disc isn't scratched and nav works fine most of the time, especially in cooler weather. Does chassis have a fan in it? Is it replaceable?
  • I have a 2010 TSX and have a problem finding places. I can never get anything to show up in my STATE!!! There are multiple spellings for some places, it is a disaster. I was looking for a Walgreens the other day and it wasnt in the database anywhere! My little Garmin does a better job. It almost looks like they took input from some users at one point and that is what they are using for a database. Has anyone else seen this issue?
    Yep - it's a combination of the database with the way the front end software looks for stuff - certainly not as good as some portable systems.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I agree- some of the portables are better but I have had no regrets with the nav in my 06-
  • rwmastersrwmasters Posts: 1
    A friend of mine has a 2005 TSX four door and she tried to put a GPS in it and it blow the fuses. I know this is not the question you asked but I thought you could answer my question. Do you have any suggestions what GPS is best to install without blowing the fuses? Robert
    Something is wrong with the GPS being installed - current gen portable GPS units consume just a few watts of power and should not pop even a 5 A car fuse. Or there's something wrong with the power socket into which it is being installed. Try it in another car to see if it does the same thing to eliminate the socket issue.
  • mdz04mdz04 Posts: 1
    It did not improve with the 2009TSX. Still lousy navi and even worse voice recognition. $185 per year to refresh the map system is ridiculous. I bought a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime live traffic for less than that for my Z. My "free" cell phone form Verizon is junk but still has no problems with voice recognition. This is not a $ issue--it's a quality issue. In the 21st century I expect better software engineering. There is much to love about this car but the navi is not part of it. If I had it to do over, I would skip the tech package and just buy a better aftermarket radio and a decent Garmin.
  • When driving 2009 tsx and the sun is behind the car, the glare off the Navi screen is BLINDING. Anyone have this problem? Better yet..any solutions??
  • bformanbforman Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Two weeks ago we bought a 2010 TSX and are very disappointed in the Navigation system. We having problems about finding locations and routing isn't always correct. A few times if we didn't know where we were going, we would have gotten lost. Also, I don't like the voice telling me to take the 2nd right turn etc., most of the time it is the next right turn. Also, a feature I like about my portable Garmin is that it lists the speed limit and my current speed wherever I am. This is a great feature that all GPS's should have. My TSX system doen's have this feature. Compared to the Garmin system, this NAV system seems inferior and much less sophisticated. Acura isn't responding to these problems. We've talked to the Service dept and Customer relations. They don't want to do anything about it. I think at the least they should give us the latest update free of charge. This Nav system is too expensive to not perform as well as my $99.00 Garmin.
  • If you love your $99 Garmin so much, why did you buy a Tech TSX?
  • A normal person would expect a $2000 nav system in a premium car would be much better than an $99 portable system. We are very dissappointed that this isn't true.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    A normal person would learn about the system before spending $2000 on it.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    A normal person might spend a few minutes learning about the system to determine if it meets their needs before spending $2000 to purchase it.
  • Do I speak Swahili? This nav system stinks. It rarely understands what I say. It has a different address for my house than the correct one. When I leave my community heading S it wants me to go N to a different cross street & then head S. It won't xfer my cell phone #s so I would need to manually add them all in to the voice system, but as I said above it doesn't understand my English.
This discussion has been closed.