Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Basic Maintenance Questions (Oil changes, fluids, etc.)

Comments

• does any one know how to ground the coil on a 2003 jetta gls?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    It really depends on what engine you have. Some engines even have a seperate coil for each sparkplug.

Most engines contain the ground within the signal cable to the coil(s) to prevent nasty problems caused by ground-loops. It may not be a good idea to add any additional grounds to the coil(s) unless you are trained in electronics and understand the phenomen known as a "ground loop".

Perhaps we could help you better if you explained to us WHY you are asking this question.... exactly what are you trying to accomplish?
  • joker55joker55 Posts: 49
    alright so i just switched to synthetic, so what your saying is i am good for 10,000 mi or 12 months before having to change it???

wow! is that what VW recommends?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yes, that is the VW schedule for oil changes, at least for our 2005 new Jetta with the 2.5 engine.
    I dont think so!

You said you have a 1999 with 2.0L engine. You really need to follow the OCI (Oil Change Interval) for YOUR modelYear/engine.

The new 2.5L 5-cylinder engine is DESIGNED for a 10K mile OCI.... your 2.0L is not.

You may visit the VW sebsite to find the reccommended OCI for your specific vehicle.
    HINT: It says every 5K miles.
    You are mistaken. The schedule (after the first two) given at your link for the 1999 is every 10,000 mi

1999 VW Jetta maintenance schedule
    Yup - you are correct...I forgot about the 1st to OCIs being doubled-up.
  • well, because my mechanic hooked it up to the tool that checks engine and it said thatthe ignition was open or something like that. he said that that was usually the coil and most often it wouldnt even need to be replaced just regrounded.
  • mdub1mdub1 Posts: 1
    I discovered a huge leak this morning. The leak's where the top of the oil filter and whatever tube that attaches to it. I don't know if it's the oil cooler or not. Anyways, my Jetta is a '97 2.0 manual. Could the cause of the leak simply be an O-ring gone bad?
  • how do i remove the engine cover on the 2007 jetta ? and is there a schematic online?
    also im wanting to go to a screw on oil filter. any tips?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,160
    Almost all fasteners have torque wrench requirements. None of the procedures are very hard. However, it makes sense to get either the CD or hard copy and or both, of your model year Bentley's.

Not sure why you would want to go to an aftermarket screw on oil filter. Not many aftermarket products are specified for 30,000 miles OCI's as the oem filters are.
    The drop-in oilfilter has many advantages over the screw-on type.

The thing I like the most is that I can do a complete oilchange from under the hood and not spill a drop of oil. (Using the recommended oil-sucker method)

Specific to the dropin oil-filter...
    *)It has MUCH more filtering surface than spinon (more like a mack-truck spinon!)
    *)Replacing it is painless... just lift out and slide into 1/2 gallon ziplock baggie. No messy,drippy spinon filter which is hard to reach.
  • tmorrisstmorriss Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Looking for some guidance on changing the oil in my daughters new 08 Jetta. I've been reading lots of posts and there's been much discussion on changing the oil from the top?

Am I understanding this correctly?

I have been changing my own oil since I was a teenager and in looking at her car, it looks to me like

1- I have to find a darn wrench for this thing?(as i'm sure you all know its on of those deals where you remove the oil filter housing and replace the paper element).
    This is similar to my 05 Toyota Avalon, but of course a different wrench.
    2- Where can I buy a wrench for this thing?
    3- I have to remove the shroud in the bottom front to even GET to the filter?
    4- I see nothing in the owners manual that says synthetic is REQUIRED.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thx
    I see nothing in the owners manual that says synthetic is REQUIRED.

It says oil meeting VW specs is required. Only certain synthetic oils meet this spec.
    In other words - what this means is that just any ol synthetic oil may not be good enough. VW makes it pretty simple, just use oil that meets their specs.

The tricky part may be locating oil that meets those specs. 8-)

Personally, I use only Pentosin oil in my VW. Pentosynth oils are made in Germany and used in thousands of VWs across Europe.

In fact, Pentosin Oil is what VW engines have in when delivered from the factory.

BTW: I also use pentosin Brake fluid and pentosin antifreeze.

I once tried using Elf oil (Made in France) but found that my engine tended to consume it and needed oil added between oil-chagnes.

There is another oil Total Quartz which actually meets VWs most stringent 505.00 spec.
    Update to my above append... the "Total Quartz" oil is apparently just the "ELF" oil repackaged into different bottles.

Here is the explanation about this rename
  • monroe5monroe5 Posts: 1
    Hey, does anyone have any info on changing the oil in a Jetta?
  • surfmansurfman Posts: 11
    Just purchased an '04 Jetta GL with the 2.0L engine. Question #1: I use Mobil 1 in all of my cars and am wondering if Mobil 1 meets VW specifications? Question #2: What is the VW oil filter part # and approximate cost? Question #3: Where is the cabin air (pollen) filter located and can anyone provide directions on replacing it with a new one and approximate cost of the cabin air filter? Thanks for you help in advance.
  • Does anyone know how to reset the maintenance reminder that comes on at 5000 miles on a 2008 Jetta 2.5?

The owners manual only says it has to be reset. Doesn't say how.
    It says something to the effect 'if you have your oil changed by a dealer, they reset the reminder. if you have you oil set by a non authorized VW service center, have your VW dealer reset the reminder'

ya... right. I'm gonna pay to take it to the dealer so they can push a button or something.

has anyone does this on an 08 Jetta 2.5.

Thx in advance
    The answer to your question is the same as most of the answers about VWs ---> VagCom If you had botherd to use the SEARCH button - you would have already discoverd this.

BTW - Many independent mechanics use VagCom in their shop because it is as good or BETTER than the factory computer diagnostic tool!
  • Well thanks for the answer. ITs appreciated. BUT.. you can keep the rest of your sarcasm to yourself. For your information I DID search, but found no hits. Didn't see anything wrong with asking a simple question. Next time I guess I won't bother you!
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I would think that there would be some other way to reset that other than buying a vag-com. Unless you already have one or plan to get one for other reasons, it seems like an excessive expense for such a minor thing.
    You could try:

1) Press and HOLD the trip-odometer button "0.0".
    2) Turn your key on.
    3) Release the trip-odometer button.
    4) Push and release the Clock Minute Set Button "min".

More detailed version:

1. Keys out of ignition- press and hold in trip odometer reset button "0.0" on right hand side of display
    2. Still holding this button down, insert key into ignition and put to the on position without starting the car.
    3. Display will read "service now"
    4. let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button on the left hand side of the display. this will re-set the service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "service now" will disappear.

You can confirm that the service reminder has been reset, or check how many miles/days remain until service at any time by taking key out of the ignition and holding in the trip reset "0.0" button for between 3 and 5 seconds. The MFD will display miles and hours until next service.

These were posted as reset procedure for Rabbit (can not imagine Jetta would be different) on a VW forum.
    My goodness tmorriss - Perhaps your searching skills can use some improvement...

I went to www.google.com and typed in VW "service reminder" and got at least 14,300 'hits'. (How could you possibly have gotten NO HITS at all???)

I quickly scanned several of them and the VAGCOM is mentioned so you can reset or TURN OFF the reminder forever.

There are other ways you can turn it off too. (Not sure if they will work)

BTW:
    *)Many autoparts stores (Autozone...etc) will reset for free.
    *)Folks with VagCom are usually eager to help fellow VW owners.
    (just search for the list of VAGCOM owners)
    I had assumed he meant that he searched this forum.
  • Hi all--at the chance to risking the rath of pbeebles, I ask the following question:

My 06 Jetta 2.5 is at 25k--do I need to take it in for service? The owner's manual doesn't show a scheduled service until 30k. The dealer tells me I need to go in, but why isn't this listed in the maintenance requirements? Can the car really go 10k without an oil change? Is the synthetic oil really that good? I took my old 03 Jetta in every 5k, but I thought that was the requirement...

Also, does it matter that I regular miss the the 3 month window for the oil change (i.e. bring at at 25k or by 6/30/08)? Does the oil get old or something sitting in the engine too long? I travel a lot for work an often take public transport to the office when in town so it sits a lot.

Thanks guys--clearly I'm no mechanic so I appreciate your help. And yes, I did google this and found nothing helpful.
    We have been following the VW schedule, which (after 5K and 10K) is every 12 mo. or 10,000 miles. Since we do not drive a lot, the 12 mo. comes first for us. So after the 5K and 10K changes we have changed at about 7000-8000 miles due it being 12 months since the prior change. If we drove more I'd have no qualms about going 10K on VW spec synthetic.

What do you mean by "3 mo. window"? Is your dealer like ours and trying to get you to come in every 3 mo./5000 miles? If I bought into that idiocy, we'd be changing oil at about 2000 miles. You need only follow VW requirements to be sure they will not try to use it against you should there be a warranty issue.

We have another vehicle that is sometimes surplus, so not getting used much and I just try to be sure some one drives it for at least 10-15 miles every couple weeks. This frequency is based on vehicle storage recomendations that are in the manual for that vehicle.
  • OK--good to know. I won't take it in until 30k then. Yes, the dealer insists I come in every 3 mos. or 5k miles. I looked at th book after my last service at 20k and thought to myslef "wait a minute here." Got the oil changed in December I think, current at 26.5k miles so I guess I'll wait a while.

Thanks for your help!
  • Hi. THANK YOU! Very much for the suggestions. I will try them and let you know.
  • Hi,
    Bummer.... I tried the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work :(
    I'm quite surprised, because its very similar to what you have to do on Toyota's(except for pressing the M buton on the clock). But no go.
    Thx anyway though.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm game.