Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

shut off while running, door locks don't work, battery fine

ckturjackturja Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 2002 venture. We stopped driving it because it was shifting hard from 2nd gear. It sat over the winter and before the battery died the doors started locking on their own. When we jumped the battery, the door locks still wouldn'tWork. We drove ita couple of miles up and down the road to charge the battery a bit, then pulled into the drive and parked it and put it in Park and it died before we could shut it off. Tried to jump it again and had the battery tested its ok. Any ideas what it could be? We cleaned the positive connected which was really corroded

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

The battery probably needs to be charged up and load-tested. Then you'll need to test the charging system itself. You can't just jump start a battery and expect it to function after driving a few miles. It needs a slow charge, or in fact, if it went completely dead over the winter, it might be time for a new one. Also, a car will not run if the battery is very low and the alternator isn't charging enough, or if the battery can't accept the charge due to bad cells.

Having a battery go completely dead isn't good for it and jump starting it in that condition can damage it.

Your cars modules and computers will act very strange with low voltages.

You can't properly test a battery until it has been fully charged up.

• Options
    gmguy18gmguy18 Member Posts: 7

Door Locks: Do they work from both doors? Common issue with the locks is a broken wire at the driver door conduit (rubber hose from door to body). The stalling issue, When you accelerate does the throttle pedal feel stiff at first? If so the throttle and IAC probably need cleaned, also try cleaning the MAF. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEAN OR CARBURETOR CLEANER. Get GUNK INTAKE CLEANER and a rag/nylon detail brush for the throttle plate and just spray the MAF. I also agree with the above, for the battery. I recommend cutting your loss and get a new battery. If it sat that long it may not accept the charge. Also, sometimes if the alternator tries to charge a battery that is bad it will full field and that is no good for alternators, they tend to burn out after a couple times of this. Keep me posted.

Hope this helps, gmguy18. God Bless