Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2015 Ford Transit Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 5,833
edited June 13 in Ford
image2015 Ford Transit Road Test | Edmunds.com

The 2015 Ford Transit is an all-new full-size van that replaces the long-running E-Series, or Econoline, van in the company's lineup. It features radically different styling, multiple configurations and a surprisingly easy-to-drive feel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• marcos9marcos9 Posts: 67

This would make a great Class B RV!

• kokomojoekokomojoe Posts: 73

When you look at the overall capacity it is far less than the E series less weight to haul , less towing... The biggest is the less power which will limit the use of this van considerably. The big question is will Americans buy the Euro style?

• kokomojoekokomojoe Posts: 73

When you look at the overall capacity it is far less than the E series less weight to haul , less towing... The biggest is the less power which will limit the use of this van considerably. The big question is will Americans buy the Euro style?

• bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 584

Why is the Mercedes van not listed as a competitor? I see them all over the place, certainly much more than the Dodge van.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,643

I wanted to like it a lot but the test drive of a 7 passenger one left a bit to be desired. Would still like to check out a 5 seater.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• applejuiceapplejuice Posts: 4

@stever said: I wanted to like it a lot but the test drive of a 7 passenger one left a bit to be desired. Would still like to check out a 5 seater.

Stever - are you referring to the Ford Transit Connect? The Connect offers 5 and 7 seaters. The review here is on the Ford Transit which replaces the Econoline full size vans that were usually 12 or 15 passengers.

@kokomojoe said: When you look at the overall capacity it is far less than the E series less weight to haul , less towing... The biggest is the less power which will limit the use of this van considerably. The big question is will Americans buy the Euro style?

Space - the article here doesn't mention it but according to Car and Driver's review, the largest Transit configuration is 487 cubic feet or 75% more than the largest E series van.

Power - on engines, the Ecoboost V6 has more power and torque than the old V10. Believe me, I grew up driving my dad's Econolines. He still has one. They may have been V8s and even a V10 but they were slow and thirsty!

You are right about the Euro styling. It's different. Then again, the Ford Transit Connect has done well. My company has hundreds of them and we're currently upgrading to the new design which seems to be much improved.

@bankerdanny said: Why is the Mercedes van not listed as a competitor? I see them all over the place, certainly much more than the Dodge van.

Good question. The Sprinter is definitely a competitor.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,643
    edited June 13

@applejuice, oops, yeah, sorry. :( Thought this was the TC first drive link. I love the big empties but the Sprinter size vans are just a bit much even for me. Plus I carry the occasional canoe on top and it's hard enough getting one of those on top of a regular minivan.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Posts: 336

@marcos9 said: This would make a great Class B RV!

I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see what customizers can do with this rig. It looks like it can be adapted to a modestly sized RV with plenty of room for 2 that's still vey drivable.

• themandarinthemandarin Posts: 427

HVAC controls a mile away from driver, and blocked by shifter. Nav system looks like a nicely integrated CRT TV

• sbogertsbogert Posts: 1

I would like to see offered a crew van like the Sprinter- that has removable seating for three, front side windows but leaves most of the rear free for stuff. That makes it the best version for a family van to carry sports, hobby or camping things. I would rather keep the rear more closed without the rear side windows.

• I have heard that the seats are BOLTED to the floor instead of the quick releases in the Econoline wagons. If true, this really takes away from the versatility that the Econoline wagons have. Anyone know?