Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap...

Comments

• Will give that a try when the time comes, and
    then if necessary use the hair dryer. If worse
    comes to worse, will take out the old windshield
    with the sticker on it and take it to security office and see what they want to do with the stickers and windshield then.

They should have told me when they issued the stickers that I would need to return them if I got rid of the car or transferred or retired and was not coming to the office anymore. Would have fastened them with a small strip of tape that would have fit between the defroster filaments.
    What a bunch of buttheads.
  • Here's a trick I learned from a car salesman who drove several different cars each week. He commuted through a toll tunnel and had to have a sticker fastened inside the windshield to use his (discounted) commuter ticket. The sticker was supposed to be permanently attached by peeling off the clear outer layer and exposing the adhesive. This fellow left the outer clear protective layer intact and placed a drop or two of mineral oil or baby oil on the tag. It stayed in place when applied and was very easily removed.
    For those who need to attach a permanent sticker to the inside of a glass surface, but are concerned about getting it off later, you might wish to try this. The layer covering the adhesive will have to be transparent for this method to work.
  • I saw a post that indicated using glass cleaner seemed to work to remove window stickers. Has anyone tried that (or anyother approach) for exterior pin stripe removal.? I am thinking about removing mine, it's been on for 11 years, so I anticipate it will likely not come off easy, even with heat applied.

Thanks, John
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    John, have you thought about the fact that the paint under the stripe has not been exposed to the same elements as the rest of the car and will be a different shade?

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    The length of time on a hair dryer is sort of an inexact thing. Depends on what the glue is, how long it's been on there, ect. Just heat it long enough for it to start separating.
  • obiggsobiggs Posts: 33
    Has anyone removed the SLE/SLT emblems on the cab
    of a 1999/2000 GMC or Chevy pickup?? If yes,how?
  • ntombintombi Posts: 4
    I have a six-month-old car, and I want to put a couple of bumper stickers on it, like I've always had on my other cars. This is my first new car, though, and I don't want to mess up the paint when they get old. Anyone have any suggestions for removing fading bumper stickers?

My other option is to get a "bumper sticker caddy," so I can suction them to the inside of my rear windshield.

Thoughts?

Ntombi
  • br459br459 Posts: 12
    Ntombi, what will the bumper stickers say?
  • ntombintombi Posts: 4
    I wondered if anyone would ask that.

Well, I have several, but the total message of them is that I am pro-choice, I vote, and I believe strongly in the separation of church and state.
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    I hid the last two posts because they were "very" OT and liable to lead us into the flames. Feel free to read 'em but I will delete all posts that reference them.

Thanks, your host, Bruce.
  • My inside driver's side door on my new Impala LS must have had a sticker underneath the armrest. It's a bit stickly to the touch and I'm looking for a way to remove the sticky stuff without damaging the door covering.

Any suggestions?
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    I've seen advice in other places that one product called Goo Gone or another called Goof Off (I think these are the names) would take care of this. I don't have any personal experience with either. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • prewbmw posted:

Get a piece of dental floss and a hair dryer. First, heat up the area with the hair dryer. Then, while the area is still hot, slide the dental floss behind the plastic and it will pop right off.

prebmw,

You da man. I used the dental floss and blow dryer trick to get the dealer plastic tag off of my Honda Odyssey. It was incredibly easy. I did have some tape residue after I got the plastic emblem off but that washed off easily with mild soap and water and a little elbow grease. Couldn't even tell it was there.

On the window sticker question, I used the product "Goo Gone" to remove the sticker residue on glass. It came off easily.

Hope this helps...
  • Use nailpolish remover. It works.
  • PyroCPUPyroCPU Posts: 5
    Will the dental floss/hair dryer procedure work for car logos too? I'm thinking of removing my "Civic" and "EX" logo for a more understated look to the back of my car. Although the "H" has the twin posts at the back of the logo, the "Civic" and "EX" do not. They are, however affixed by some gummy adhesive though.

Does the dental floss approach leave some of the adhesive on the paint?
  • bill11770bill11770 Posts: 29
    a heat gun works better and faster than a hair dryer. I find that you don't really need the dental floss, unless you want good hygene when using the heat gun. If you heat the remaining adhesive, you should be able to rub them off eventually. Although i never used it, I'm sure that "goo gone" stuff would be better to take off remaining adhesive.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Nail polish remover is nintey-nine point ten percent Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, so don't use it on anything alcohol would damage.
  • woodytxwoodytx Posts: 19
    I've got bumper stickers on the plastic bumper of my 91 Acura (white) I haven't put any on the painted metal, yet, as I've been told that they'll stick to the paint too well. Any advice?

BTW, these are the plastic kind of stickers, not the paper type.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    the best stuff ive ever used in a body shop is the 3M general purpose adhesvie remover. comes in a small red tin can.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    I have a 99 Chrysler 300M. To "protect" me, the legal department has apparently recommended placing bright yellow Air bag warning stickers on the visor. They really detract from the looks of the interior, and well aware of the hazards of airbags. These things seem to have been applied with crazy glue or something because the just won't budge. Does anybody know how to get them off, or is it easier to order replacement visors from that hopefully don't have the stupid warning?