Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    Re buzzing noise from headliner: that happened to my GLS but it turned out to be my wire-rimmed sunglasses rattling in the holder. I don't recall, does the GT have the sunglasses holder? Could also be from the sunroof mechanism, if you have that.
    Re A/C noise, mine made some noise once after not driving for several days, but that was it. What is a "long time" for you? Since it's happening more than once it would not hurt to have the dealer take a look.
  • My GT doesn't have a sunglasses holder. That part is occupied by the controls for the sunroof. A long time for me is when my car is parked the whole day at work. Well I have scheduled an appointment with my dealership and I will post what ever they find. Thanks!
  • Had a strange thing happen today. Have an 01 w/about 5700 on it. It rained very hard for a short period in the late afternoon. Then the sun came out and everything got hot and steamy until a cold front moved in, and temps began to drop. I came out from work to find that the driver's side windows were completely fogged over, on the inside! I actually could see the "ghost" of where the sticker had been. Any ideas as to why this happened and is this a cause for concern?
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    > >.... It rained very hard for a short period in the late afternoon. Then the sun came out and everything got hot and steamy until a cold front moved in, and temps began to drop. I came out from work to find that the driver's side windows were completely fogged over, on the inside!...> >

It is normal: due to the rapid change in outside temp.(to cool dry air); While the inside of the car is still hot and humid from the "previous weather" and couldn't escape with the warm and humid air mass to which it belonged; because it was trapped inside the car... it creates condensation on the inside ...

The same thing will happen if you take a glass of water with ice cubes, while the outside temp. is warm and HUMID: condensation will form on the outside of the glass.

• Hi folks! Please help.I now have about 900 miles on my Elantra GT and really love the car!My only problem has been the FUEL GAUGE and the digital readout.
    Around my 3rd gas fill-up I noticed that the FUEL GAUGE would not register FULL,even after I topped the tank off.The corresponding digital readout seemed to follow the GAUGE indicator...showing a partially full tank.Example: when the GAUGE was working properly...FULL...the digital readout indicated approx 487 miles to use. After the problem began with my last fill-up, the FUEL GAUGE indicated less than full with the digital readout reading approx 350 miles to use. I read somewhere that someone with a similar problem began filling-up with the ignition on the ACC mode.He stated that this took care of the problem.Has anyone else had this FUEL GAUGE situation? I have the warrenty,I know,but I was told the vehicle would have to be checked overnight at the dealer.I'm hoping I can remedy this myself.
  • Got my Elantra GT 5-speed a month ago...very happy with it! Except for a couple of things.

1) After I drive the car for a while (15-30 minutes), the engine makes a very harsh noise when cruising in 1st or 2nd gear. Sounds like there is a whole lot of excessive friction. I know that I only have about 700 miles on it and sometimes new engines need some time to "break in", but the noise is concerning.

2) I've just noticed this problem recently...when I go over sharp bumps (both at high and low speeds)...the suspension (especially the rear) makes a very loud "thunk". With the firmer sport suspension on the GT, I should expect a little more tire and suspension kickback when I go over bumps...but this a totally differnet kind of noise...it sounds like there is something loose back there.

If you've had any of these problems, I would really appreciate your feedback. I will be taking the car to the dealer soon, but with your feedback I'll be able to better explain these problems to the technician.

Thanks!
  • I just got a 02 Sonata and it has a problem shifting between 2nd and 3rd when cold. Has anyone had any luck with resolving the issue. I bring my car in Friday to get checked out.
  • wystwyst Posts: 9
    Hi, we have a 2000 GLS with 16K miles on it now. Itis back in the shop and having it's THIRD transmission being put in it.

It started back around 9K when it would not shift well from 2nd to 3rd. It would rev out all the way to the redline and then bang into 3rd, so they replaced tranny. Now it was shifting very hard from 1st to 2nd, they inspect the car and find it was blowing tranny fluid out it's vent. So... another transmission is going in.

We are really worrying here, I mean 3 trannys in any car is a LOT, but for one that still has not passed 17K?!

Does anyone have any similar experiences or know of any info about their trannys, and also what would you do if you were in our situation?

Tanx.

**Edit** This is the second car we have bought from this dealer, and believe it or not, before this had happened we were seriously considering getting the new Sonata. (we are selling our Tracker)
  • My only problems with my 2001 Hyundai Elantra package 4 purchased in Aug., 2001 have been the gas tank cap and the digital clock. The sensor came on on my car and it turned out that you needed to turn the gas tank cap 3 times or more (till it clicks) when you fill up with gas. Two weeks ago, my clock stopped working and they had to order a new one. One word of caution to residents of the Twin Cities, Minnesota, I have had poor service experiences with Denny Hecker's Rosedaly Hyundai. I would not take my car there for maintenance.
    Could you be more specific about what kind of trouble you've had at Denny Hecker's? That's where I bought my GLS and where I have had it serviced, but I had a couple of minor problems with them last time in (more lack of effort rather than mechanical).
  • I have had my 2002 Elantra GLS less than a month and I also have that horrifying noise coming from the air conditioner (See Message #20). Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I have had them work on it and they put a new part in the evaporator. It didn't help. Luckily, I had a really nice tech who said most of the techs are "half-deaf" so they don't hear it, but he did and also knew about this noise. Also, another tech on-site, but working for another co. said this is a known issue for Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and some other companies. They are calling the Hyundai tech line to find out about other options. I find it unbearable. I'm glad I'm not alone. Please write me if you have any suggestions. sbilheimer@techwritingmkt.com
  • I bought a 2002 elantra gls 11/21/01. I looked in the owners manual about oil viscosity and it gave me a wide range of weights to use. I live outside of chicago, IL. Any feedback on winter and summer weights to use. My ford ranger and dodge caravan use 5w30 all year around.
  • I own a 2000 Elantra wagon GLS with 16k miles. I've had no problems with the car, but the mileage averages 25 mpg. I think this is low for a car this size. I had been commuting about 2 miles a day, and for the past month about 15 miles (round-trip, mostly interstate). Most weeks I drive an additional 60-80 miles on the interstate over a small mountain. I use the A/C on and off in the summer.
    The mileage will vary a lot with local driving. One tank will be 20 mpg, the next 30. I usually refill around 150 miles. The varying mileage doesn't seem to have much to do with how I drive and I'm careful to fill the tank completely, especially if it's taking less gas than I expect.
    I mentioned the mileage to the dealer once and they became very defensive. Since the car runs well, I'm not interested in any major work. I tried changing the air filter, but no change. Has anyone found anything that improves their mileage? Thanks.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Their house brand (Super Tech) is really Quaker State. It's not ILSAC GF-3/SL yet, but assume they'll change over in the next few months. SL oil has a high synthetic component. I try to keep a 4000 mile change interval and insist that they substitute a SuperTech (Champion Labs) filter for the Fram (I hang signs all over the dash--NO FRAM).

I use 10-30 except for the most recent change (winter) 5W30. I think 10W30 is their preferred weight. I use 5W30 year around for those cars where the manual recommends it. Hyundai is rather unique for allowing 10W40 oil. Haven't seen that on a recommended list in almost twenty years, and don't think I'd want to try it.

If you're into synthetics, I'd recommend 10W30 all year long.
  • Yesterday while driving my 2002 GLS (280 miles) I noticed a quirk in the automatic transmission very similar to the one described by riborn (message #3). Namely, the transmission would delay and the engine would rev approximately 1,000 rpm before shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.

erk3 (message #19) reported the same quirk, and cjaccetta (message #6) reported his GT also delayed slightly (but without the rpm increase).

I didn't notice the problem this morning on my way to work, however, and the shifts are crisper if I accelerate more quickly. I'll monitor it closely from now on, though.

In the meantime, I'd be very curious to hear updates from those of you who experienced this quirk. Have you had any additional problems? What did the dealer say when/if you took it in for service?

Any info/updates would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Hello pghguy,

The problem is actually the tranmmission computer getting familiar with your acceleration patterns. The delay in shifting should be gone after you have driven the car for a longer period of time- the tranmission is simply adapting to the way you accelerate. I believe the feature is called, "Hyundai Intelligent Vehicle Control" (HIVC).
  • And when I went back to check the gas cap, it seemed loose (never getting gas again without checking - in NY they don't let you pump your own!), so I suspect the check engine light came on because it wasn't put back on properly (or at all). Do I need to go to the dealership to get the light off/reset, or will filling it with gas suffice? The fellow at the dealership told me on the phone the light comes on because air gets into the gas tank....any voices of experience would be appreciated!
  • I now have almost 9500 miles on my 2001 GT and have observed this curious "shift flare" between 2nd and 3rd gear.I've read several definitions of this...seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle,some of ya refer to a needed fix in the Power Control Module,others speak of the tranny adjusting to the driver's habits.For those interested here's some aspects I've noticed on mine:
    1) my rpms have not "flared" more than 500,ever.
    2) the flare-up is indicated on the tachometer only,no speed increase.
    3) prior to my current milage(9500)it use to occur wether the engine was cold or warm.After I passed 8500 it now seems to go away after I've been driving about half an hour.
    4) when the engine is cold or inactive for awhile,the process repeats itself.
    5) the most interesting thing for me is how it's been going away once the vehicle warms up(ie less of a problem than before)
    It's a quirky thing alright but it's the only quirk I've got in an otherwise problem-free car.
  • Anyone else had any problems with their rear door seals on their GLS? I have an '01, and the seals keep sagging. I'm going to have the dealer replace them, but wondered if it was a design flaw or just my car.
    When my '01 GLS was new (November '01) I noticed that the seal on the driver's side rear door was loose in one place, i.e. a couple of the plastic fasteners popped out of their holes. Is that like the "sagging" you noticed? I popped the fasteners back in place and have not had any further problem with the door seals. Since then I've waxed the door jambs a couple of times and rubbed Armor All on the door seals, which I do routinely on all my cars. It may help prevent the seals from sticking.